Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ravens sign KU’s Dayne Crist

Former Kansas University quarterback Dayne Crist signed a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday. Crist, who attended minicamp over the weekend with the Kansas City Chiefs, will join the Super Bowl champion Ravens immediately for organized team activities (OTAs).

Crist started at quarterback in seven games and played in four others. He completed 103 of 216 passes for 1,313 yards.

Crist is one of nine Jayhawks to get an opportunity with an NFL team this spring.

Tanner Hawkinson was a fifth-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, while Tunde Bakare (Bears), Greg Brown (Chargers), Trevor Marrongelli (Lions), Bradley McDougald (Chiefs), Toben Opurum (Chiefs), Josh Williams (Bears) and Duane Zlatnik (Jaguars) have attended a minicamp or signed as a free agent.

Comments

DocBean 1 year, 6 months ago

I love the Charlie Weis signing, but if Crist does succeed in the NFL, and by succeeding I mean making a roster, I'll have to question how Coach Weis couldn't get more out of him at KU.

Dayne's performance last year was more disappointing to me than our overall record. Which honestly, is only based on my expectations going into the season for him, and for our team.

jhawk613 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not suggesting Crist was good, cause he wasn't. He definitely underperformed and failed to meet expectations. That said, I hope someone with access to the right stats could show how many of his incomplete passes were dropped passes.

Even if those passes were caught we still would've been a basement Big 12 team, but Crist's numbers would've looked a lot better. I place 50 percent blame on Crist and 50 percent on our lackluster wideouts.

The biggest reason you won't see the same struggles from Heaps is he has a legit #1 WR in McCay.

vd 1 year, 6 months ago

Webb had the same receivers, but all the dropped passes were Webb's fault, or gill's fault.

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

Doc ~ I am amazed and disappointed at how you can turn two articles of "good news" into such a bitter negative in so few words ~ Com'on, Man, let it go. Enough is too much for this issue that you just cannot seem to get over. Life is simply too short for you to continue to live in the bitter past. Its done, fini, gone, old, old news.

And most importantly ~ I'm tired of your posting this crap.

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Crist made some bad passes last year, but he also made some pretty good passes that our receivers should have caught, and if Patterson and Beshears were taller, they probably would have caught them. They weren't the only ones that missed passes. We didn't have any WRs that performed consistently last year, and there is almost a whole new crop plus Omigie and Turzilli. Josh Ford will also see more time this year, but McKay and the newcomer from Garden City Community College will both prove to be big additions, and with Pierson in the slot and McKay on the edge, they'll have to account for Pierson wherever he is on the field with a legit receiver that demands respect on either side, or both sides. Charlie had to deal with a lack of chemistry under Gill and get them out of their little cliques. The whole team should be one big clique. If the chemistry comes together, this team could be good this year, and very good the following year.

It wasn't any better for Cummings either. That should be enough to stop placing all the blame on Crist. I find it to be immature to be talking about this in May of 2013.

vd 1 year, 6 months ago

Gill's team had a wide receiver TD. Weis's team did not. Both teams had the same wide receivers. The difference is Weis ran off the QB that threw those TD passes, and replaced him with Crist. Yet, you blame Gill for Weis's teams "lack of chemistry." Makes sense in todays world.

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, Gill did huh? Neither Cummings or Crist had a TD completion to a WR. Yes, it was Gill's fault. It carried over from Gill's team. Gill did not teach discipline with the players. You're going to learn that you're not that smart this season.

Crist threw good passes that should have been TDs, but they weren't caught. I only need to name one with one of the same receivers, Patterson, inside the five yard line, hit both of his hands, and he dropped it.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 6 months ago

KU's offense stunk up front and that is the biggest reason he did not make a huge amount of connections with his receivers. he was too busy watching and running from the defense. If he were to be with this group of offensive lineman he would tear the defense a new a$$ hole. Charlie inherited Turner Gill BS. That moron ruined the Hawks with no more time than he was here. Charlie and his Staff will turn the program into a power house.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope he does very well. The more Jayhawks in the League, the better for recruiting and contacts with upcoming potential players. Maybe Crist can bump aside their current QB. I mean, what has he done for them lately?

Hurinfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm rooting for him but seriously? How is that possible?

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

Way to go Dayne! Stand tall and keep flashing that arm strength. Show them that you are worth a couple years of investment.

canuckhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Gotta believe that this bodes well for Weis recruiting. If he can get a guy an NFL contract with that kind of production, recruits should look at this and think..man, this guy can get me a shot at playing on Sunday.

Now obviously people still see or hope to see the same kind of stuff in Dayne that we were looking for last year. Maybe it is only 10-20% Weis but recruits will notice that Weis brings more than just rings, he brings doors.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

....really?

Well as baffling as it is, I find it hilarious that Dayne Crist gets an NFL contract, while Colin Klein remains empty-handed.

Divine intervention? I leave it to your discretion.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

It is not really baffling. Some players are better suited for the NFL while other are better suited for college FBall; this is also true for BBall. Apparently NFL scouts think that Crist's game has a better chance of success in the NFL than Klein.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

You know what’s hilarious. Watching Klein try to throw a football. My daughter has a better throwing motion. Klein has 0% chance of ever making an NFL team as a QB. He was asked to work out with the TEs at the combine.

Dayne Crist has been an NFL QB his entire life. He can zip it. If he has an NFL surrounding cast, who knows?

Lance Cheney 1 year, 6 months ago

Dang it, you beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing. And it's not baffling; Klein is a horrible NFL QB (Tim Tebow Light). But it is hilarious.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

LOL! Collin Klein makes Tim Tebow look like Tim Lincecum.

JBsJAYHAWKS 1 year, 6 months ago

All the best Dayne, we hope you have a long and successful career - and please always remember that you are part of the KU family - Rock Chalk -

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

What a predicament. I'm always pleased when a KU player makes it in the " Big Leagues ", but I am baffled that a team would want someone with a .476 completion percentage and can't scramble anything but eggs.

jhawk613 1 year, 6 months ago

completion percentage is affected by dropped passes...we had plenty of those...

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, so you can verify that he can indeed scramble eggs? :^)

Matt Kenton 1 year, 6 months ago

Just playing devil's advocate here, but is it possible Crist would fare way better in the NFL than in college? The talent level of receivers he is throwing to will obviously be light years ahead of his targets last year.

Watching him play in games, there were times when he started to get into a rhythm and get some momentum going, but after a completion or two he would drill one right on the money and our WR would drop it. Sometimes he would throw it too hard for the short distance or skill of the intended receiver, then the next time he would put less on it and drop it at their feet and start showing frustration. Next thing you know it's third and long and he's throwing across the field into double coverage for a pick 6. Maybe with better receivers and a great O-line he gets into a groove and things start clicking for him. I'm sure teams think they can coach him up and with maturity he could be the next Matt Cassel- no college success, dependable backup who finally sees SOME success as a starter. And maybe that is Weis's sales pitch.

Would I bet on it? No, but just trying to explain why an NFL team would take a chance on him.

DocBean 1 year, 6 months ago

I saw a lot of passes that Crist just plain missed open guys. I think it was the Texas game, one we could have won, where he had a RB flare out on 3rd down, wide open, and all he had to do was get it within 3 feet of him, and it would have easily been a first down and maybe a TD, but Crist threw it about 5 yards too short. I just don't get how a guy with his arm just made so many horrible passes at key moments.

BringBackMark 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't forget wide open Kale Pick that would've iced the Northern Illinois game as well. I still tend to think that either Weis's system was just too confusing for the players to grasp or he just wasn't able to get them to perform. Unfortunately, I don't look for much difference this year, other than our defense will be pretty doggone salty.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Dayne Crist won't succeed in the NFL either because his problems are mental not physical. I'm happy for Crist that he's getting a shot in the NFL in a situation where there's no pressure on him. I also don't blame any NFL teams for taking a look at Crist because he has the physical tools to be an NFL QB. I wish Dayne the best of luck, but I don't see him making any NFL roster and I hope he gets into coaching because I, like many others, think he will be a very good coach.

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

And your Psychiatric credentials are ??

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

It's rare but sometimes it happens that an athlete that struggles at a lower level of competition, finds his niche in the pro ranks. [Although, this occurence is much more common in baseball than football, it does occasionally happen].

Let's be realistic here...pro teams sign a number of quarterbacks to act as throwing machines during preseason tryouts to save their veterans. And he did play at Notre Dame, always a buzz word for NFL GMs.

All things considerd the best Dayne will do is possibly make the practice squad.....but still, to be invited by the Super Bowl Champs is a real plus in his football resume.

As a fellow Jayhawk, I wish him the very best of luck.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Good call on the practice QB angle. He was absolutely stomped by fellow undrafted QB, Tyler Bray at the Chiefs rookie camp, so I can’t see him beating out Caleb Haney for #3. He’ll be competing with Terrell Pryor for practice arm, and I think he could win that battle.

BayPark 1 year, 6 months ago

Yep, camp arm I think they call it.

John Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

No chances being taken here. No draft pick used, not much but another arm for mini camp passing drills with a slight outside opportunity to spend a year on taxi squad. Some have made it from such inauspicious starts, though the odds are pretty long.

jgkojak 1 year, 6 months ago

He needs protection - he is not someone who can scramble -- but put him behind a solid, NFL o-line and he's passable.

Reminds me a little of Cassel - give him New England's O-line and coaching and he wins 11 games. Give him KCs and he wins 2.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

Look at the QBs in the league right now and you can easily see why Dayne got a "spring training contract", I doubt this is a guaranteed contract.

Tim Tebow was a first round draft pick and can't hit a broad side of a barn with his throws.

EJ Manual just was drafted in the first round and he is a "project".

Chase Daniels and Blaine Gabbert both have contracts and haven't done much (Blaine is even a starter--for how long is still a question).

There are about 2 QBs on every team, that I can't even tell you their names. Dayne actually resembles a Pro QB

jay381 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations and good luck. From everything I have read he is a smart kid. Pro's draft for a variety of reasons. He is going to a great franchise with QB stability and given the type of offense they run he might just surprise everyone. He also has the intelligence to run the opposing teams offense. I think the respect Charlie Weis had for the kid plus the respect Charlie Weis holds among the professional teams speaks volumes about assisting recruiting in the future. You have a coach (well a second one Bill Self does pretty well to say the least) that you know can help you make it to the next level. KU has not had that in football in like forever.

John Epperson 1 year, 6 months ago

That one throw down the left sideline against Northern Illinois . . . sheesh.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

Good luck to Dayne Crist. He was classy throughout his time at Kansas and deserves an honest shot at professional success. I wish him well.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

My reaction to the headline of this article?

"WHY???"

File this one under the "keepin' it real" category.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't wish the kid to fail and more than that, I root for him to succeed. For the same reason you do: he is a Jayhawk. But...how can I say this...sometimes members of a group find themselves in company they feel rather uneasy about. Dayne is a model citizen, and I would never impugn his character. But matriculation into the NFL is not based on a person's moral constitution. It's based on playing ability (at least I THOUGHT so that shows what I know...), and truth be told he's five notches below Tim Tebow. Dayne Crist could not even sniff the Heismann and Tebow won it. Tebow is TERRIBLE. Tebow is currently looking for a job. So let me get this: Tebow is out, and Crist is in??? Wow. Oh, and I heard the Ravens have a QB that did okay last year. Man I choke on getting the words out and I hate when they get past my teeth, but this one is a head scratcher. Apart from Charlie's NFL connections, that is.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 6 months ago

Joel Thorman, of ArrowheadPride.com, wrote that former KU quarterback Dayne Crist was outperformed at the Kansas City Chiefs minicamp by fellow undrafted free agent and former Tennessee QB Tyler Bray.

“Bray was clearly the best quarterback on the field,” Thorman wrote in his minicamp wrap-up. “It wasn’t really close. Dayne Crist was a far second.”

jhawk613 1 year, 6 months ago

This isn't really news. Every mock draft had Bray rated much higher than Crist...

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

I am really pleased to hear of Christ's signing ~ and with the World Champions, no less ~ an organization which obviously doesn't sign just the next guy in line. Cannot wish anything but success for the young man who handled himself with such class and dignity during what had to have been a horribly difficult time for him.

Best wishes for continued good news.

Fototherapist 1 year, 6 months ago

While I'm happy for Dayne, I can't get this idea out of my head. I have a strong suspicion that Charlie Weis worked his magic and convinced some people in the NFL to give him a chance. That's really the only reason he could ever get a shot on an NFL team, regardless of his build and mechanics. Even in his post-season games he didn't do that great. Certainly not NFL caliber anyway.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 6 months ago

The Ravens didn't even carry a third QB last year, I'd imagine his chances to actually make the roster are slim to none. But Ozzie Newsome is the best GM in the business, he must see something that he feels can be developed on the practice squad to even bother with this move.

BayPark 1 year, 6 months ago

I knew a guy who knew a guy who was a quarterback through several training camps. It was made clear to him he was only there so QBs 1-3 didn't wear out their arms. That's not to say he didn't wish to prove them wrong or showcase for other teams. I assume this is the case with Crist.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 6 months ago

Happy for Crist but he has zero chance sticking. I do agree Weis pulled some strings to get him a contract. He is a body who can throw passes during camp.

I think Crist has a decent arm but for one he had no pocket presence, didn't move well in or out of the pocket. When he ran he couldn't out run D linemen. The things that did him in were the fear of getting hit (possibly from his previous injuries), lack of mobility, inconsistent accuracy and some dropped passes. To think he is suddenly going to pull it all together at a pro level is crazy. The decision making happens in fractions of a second not in 2-3 seconds and if you haven't been able to do it college I don't see how it will happen at the pro level.

For me Crist was the biggest disappointment last year. With the hype coming in at the one position in football that makes the greatest impact (look at the Chiefs woes last year and look how guys like Brady and Manning elevate teams - heck even Klein at KSU) he didn't come close to delivering. Sorry to bag on the guy but even thinking he will thrive in the NFL just isn't happening.

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

And how exactly do you and others "know" that HC Weis "pulled some strings" ~ I'm amazed at just how prescient some of you profess to be ~ absolutely incredible talent.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't know - Assuming since Weis has been in the NFL for what 10 + years. Most likely has more pull than most college only coaches.

I'm huge KU fan but also dealing in reality as far as his talents. Non-drafted free agents seldom stick in the NFL at any level any way.

Is the "absolute incredible talent" comment talking about Crist ????

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

There were a lot of inaccurate passes thrown by KU's opponents last year, the difference is that the receivers had the ability to make adjustments and make the catches. There were at least 5 or 6 big plays made by West Virginia against us on inaccurately thrown passes that their receivers caught. Our receivers didn't make those catches that they could have. We know that Patterson was capable of doing it, we saw him do it a few times. Omigie dropped a lot of passes right on the numbers. It occurred with Cummings as well. Since we know it was the same for both QBs, why are we still railing against Crist? We didn't have enough size at receiver and we were not physical. We had the speed, but the other two things were not present.

troutsee 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish him all the luck in the world, but.....he has not delivered at a level higher than high school. Yes, he has the physical tools but does not have the most important tool, confidence. Having watched him for a year at Kansas, I cannot see him ever playing in the NFL. However, the kid has taken so much fan abuse, he deserves something good to happen in his football life. I hope I am wrong and that he makes it with the Ravens.