Monday, May 13, 2013

D-Day arrives for prep standout Andrew Wiggins

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 prospect in the high school recruiting Class of 2013, will sign a letter of intent with Kansas University, Florida State, Kentucky or North Carolina at 11:15 a.m., Central time, today in a ceremony at Huntington (W.Va.) Prep High School.

Just one media member — Grant Traylor of the Huntington Herald-Dispatch — will be allowed into the ceremony. He plans to relay the information to the world on Twitter (@GrantTraylor) and then post a story at his paper’s website: herald-dispatch.com.

“I am going to tweet the answer out as soon as he says where he’s going,” Traylor told Zagsblog.com. “I’ll tweet the answer out and hopefully get something on our website, and everybody can go from there. I know everybody’s been waiting a long time.”

Wiggins, a soft-spoken 6-foot-7 senior forward, told his high school coach, Rob Fulford, he wanted no lavish news conference, just an announcement before family and classmates and the one member of the press who regularly covers the team for the local paper.

Florida State opened the day Monday as the popular choice of various media members. As the day progressed, KU gained steam as perhaps being a frontrunner for Wiggins, who has been called the most-hyped recruit since LeBron James.

Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com rocked KU nation late Monday afternoon by tweeting: “I’m changing my prediction for Andrew Wiggins’ destination from FSU to Kansas. No ‘inside info,’ just a hunch based on talking to people.”

CBS’ Gary Parrish picks Florida State: “Combine the family’s connection to the school with (coach) Leonard Hamilton’s reputation as an elite recruiter with the fact that Wiggins won’t really have to share the ball in Tallahassee,” he writes.

ESPN’s Dave Telep put out odds of the four schools landing Wiggins. Florida State’s odds were listed at 35 percent, followed by KU (25 percent), North Carolina (20 percent) and Kentucky (20 percent).

“At Kansas, Thomas Robinson handed off to Ben McLemore, and now coach Bill Self wants to transition to Wiggins,” writes Telep. “This is a program with a rich recent history of playing up to its star power. There are stories of how Self stood in front of his team and empowered McLemore to take more shots this year; that’s the kind of stuff that ends up being told to a No. 1 recruit during an in-home visit.

“Kansas is traditionally one of the most talent-laced programs in the country. It already has No. 6 recruit Joel Embiid this year, but it could use a heavyweight recruiting victory. Josh Selby was a win and Xavier Henry was even bigger, but it’s time to usher in a transfer of power to a big name. Kansas has a plan, a path and a destination for Wiggins. One insider once told me that Wiggins favors his relationship with Self over the other coaches involved. If I’m Self, the sell is simple: ‘Look what I did for Robinson and McLemore, two players who weren’t McDonald’s All Americans.’ Bonus: Wiggins’ brother Nick will be a senior at Wichita State next season. For one year, traveling to see the boys would be very convenient for family.

“What concerns me: Some may point to the fact that Kansas is an adidas-sponsored program and Wiggins hails from a Nike-affiliated background. That’s not a game-changer from what’s been bantered about behind the scenes. However, KU is the only non-Nike program involved, and if Wiggins is thinking endorsements — and we can reasonably assume someone within his inner circle is — it might be easier to just stick within the comfort zone. Also, let’s say he makes a decision predicated on winning a national title. Of the three possible title contenders on his final list of four, KU would — on paper — have the most difficult ascension to the top,” Telep adds.

Eric Bossi of Rivals.com tweeted: “No point in waiting. My guess/prediction/whatever you want to call is FSU.”

Wiggins was named the 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year after averaging 23.4 points, 11.2 rebounds, 2.6 blocks and 2.5 assists for Huntington (30-3).

The final take comes from Huntington coach Fulford.

“I don’t know where Andrew Wiggins is going,” Fulford posted on his Facebook page Sunday. Monday night, he added: “Just a friendly reminder that Andrew Wiggins’ signing tomorrow will be closed to the public and media. He wanted it to be private with just family, friends and classmates. I send this reminder hoping that people will not show up trying to get in. Unfortunately, you will be turned away. Thx for everyone’s support!”

Tarik Black to visit: Tarik Black, a 6-foot-9 junior from University of Memphis who recently announced plans to transfer, visited Duke Monday and was to visit KU today, according to zagsblog.com. He has visited Georgetown and Oregon and also has spoken with coaches from Ohio State and San Diego State, Zagsblog reports.

Black averaged 8.1 points and 4.8 rebounds as a junior last season for the Tigers. He will be immediately eligible next season as a senior after earning his degree at Memphis.

Comments

Gavin Fritton 1 year, 2 months ago

I would love to be wrong. I just don't see KU landing him.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

I find it hilarious that people are touting all the returning "studs" at Carolina. Aren't these the same guys that ended up with a #9 seed in the tourney and were largely to blame for their comparably poor season?

Big_Dipper 1 year, 2 months ago

I know a lot of people think the favorite is FSU due to the family connection, but if it really was important to him to go to FSU, then I think he would have announced earlier and tried to recruit some other top players like a couple players in next years class are doing. It would have made more sense that way to help build that program back at least for a year.

On the other hand, if family is truely important to him, then KU seems like the logical choice so he can be close to his brother and his folks can make both of their games. However I'm surprosed he didn't want to play with his brother.

I don't know where he'll go either. I hope it's here, but I don't know. Fingers crossed...

DCLawHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope KU lands this kid just to undermine the silly conspiracy theories floated on this board sometimes that a kid who plays for a Nike AAU/high school team won't sign with a college sponsored by Adidas.

Does anyone else take issue with Dave Telep's assertion that KU's team next year has the most difficult ascension to the national championship among Wiggins's final four? I suppose I can see UNC with Wiggins grading out better than KU with Wiggins, but Kentucky showed nothing this year. The incoming talent level they have is high, but they showed no ability to gel last year. Wiggins doesn't strike me as the missing piece for KY. As for FSU, I admire Coach Hamilton and the way they play defense, but how can FSU outrank KU? They don't have the tournament experience or talent level Kansas brings to the floor next year.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually, Telep writes, "Of the three possible title contenders on his final list of four ..."

I think he means between KU, UK, and UNC, KU will have the toughest road to the Final Four.

Big_Dipper 1 year, 2 months ago

He didn't say FSU has a better chance. At least I wouldn't think so. He mentioned 'three teams with title chances'. I wouldn't think FSU is among those unless Wiggins is on the team.

Quote "Also, let’s say he makes a decision predicated on winning a national title. Of the three possible title contenders on his final list of four, KU would — on paper — have the most difficult ascension to the top,” Telep adds."

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 2 months ago

Telep knows nothing about basketball. I don't normally listen to what he said. 90% of things he predicted were wrong, too.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 2 months ago

refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

It’s gonna be stiff competition for “first” today!

My money is on perse here... but what will he say? Hmmm.

If he picks KU: “Wiggity!”

If he picks anybody else: “Meh."

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume he's coming to KU.

W E L C O M E, A N D R E W W I G G I N S ! ! ! ! ! !

You will have a great time here at Kansas, home of the greatest hoops barn in the world!! You will have 16,500 very good friends cheering you on at each and every home game, and they will all be just waiting for you in October.

And quite a few of them will travel to other Big 12 arenas to make sure are able to see some crimson and blue wherever you go, and hear that incredible 'Rock Chalk' chant at the end of every game.

Rock Chalk, Andrew Hawk!

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

Kansas offers the best combination of family and competitiveness being a team that could vie for the Final Four AND being just down the road from his brother, with whom he is very close. At this point, NOTHING would surprise me.

Fun to still be talking KU basketball in May, though... Wiggins or not Wiggins, we should have a very fun team next year. I am so excited to see the next wave of Jayhawks. Go Kansas!

Annette Lee 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll echo that GB. Welcome Andrew and if you don't choose KU I'll applaud your choice anyway because you did it with class!!!

jayhawkbenny27 1 year, 2 months ago

Gottlieb also predicted KU on twitter this morning but also said it was a completely baseless claim... My guess also baseless is FSU. But then again he'll just spite me and pick UK.

Adam McEwen 1 year, 2 months ago

He'll take the Calipari money and run, do his one and done and be gone. Not a KU guy, don't want him, don't need him. Doesn't have the heart to be a Jayhawk from what I see..

Chris Bruning 1 year, 2 months ago

Andrew didn't want a huge announcement, doesn't like all the attention. Seems real down to earth, i like him. Even if he chooses elsewhere i think this kid is real respectable in how he handles himself....

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

Congratulations to Andrew Wiggins on doing things the way works for him. He showed the nation that this is his decision. I applaud him for making the decision at the time, place and date of his choice, with only the people he wants there. Now all his classmates can talk about it for year's to come and feel special about it. Anyone else that claims they were there for the announcement is lying. I love it. His actions scream KU to me, but I am extremely biased. I cannot help but to be happy for this young man, regardless of the school he attends. I feel as though he will make an informed decision. The wishful thinking part of me says, wouldn't it be great if Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid were a packaged deal and no one knew it? Whatever happens, hopefully everyone remains classy and wishes the young man the best.

Bill Horton 1 year, 2 months ago

What's the over/under on new followers for Grant Taylor today?

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

So far he has gained over 9,000 (1968 to 11.1K) new followers since becoming the sole reporter. Would be more interesting to know how many are from each of the 4 respective schools to assess the level of fandom.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

When did KU start recruiting THIS guy?

I've never heard of him before..........

Andrew Cox 1 year, 2 months ago

I may be wrong but I believe HCBS started recruiting him for KU while he was still at Illinois

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 2 months ago

Amazes me that the whole adidas vs Nike piece is even a consideration for these young men. I don't get it personally. Will he have a harder time somehow signing a deal when he goes pro with Nike because he wore Adidas?

I get a kick out of all the predicting. Even though I don't expect he will pick KU (personally I think he goes to UNC), I will be bummed if he doesn't choose us. Funny how that works. I am sure we fans as well as all those close to Andrew will be very relivied this saga is over come lunch time!

Andrew - hope you pick KU and get to experience all that comes with being a Jayhawk!

Mike

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, the shoe thing really pisses me off, and I don’t see how it could possibly stand in the way of him getting whatever he wants in terms of endorsements in the NBA.

Timmay97 1 year, 2 months ago

I have inside knowledge that he's going to Wichita State.....his brother talked him into it. :-)

BigDBigJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Why would anyone with talent and options play in Wichita?

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Have you checked out Wichita's pre-season rankings?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

His brother did indicate that the decision would be a "shocker!"

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

AGAIN sounds like UNC - keep being the one least talked up in this, but to me make the most sense.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I still believe he's Kentucky bound. I've seen a number of comments suggesting how intrigued he is by the thought of playing with all of the talent they've accumulated there for next season. These kids seem to all be lemmings. I hope I'm wrong. The fact that he's not having a big ESPN press conference suggests that maybe he's a little different. Let's hope so.

Realistically, I think the two best fits would be KU or UNC. There's only one ball to go around and he won't see much of it playing with the Harrison twins. FSU would allow him to showcase his skills, but I would think he would also like a chance of winning a National Championship, and they don't offer him much hope in that regard. KU and UNC offer him a chance to showcase his skills with enough talent around him to have a legit chance at a national title.

Marc Frey 1 year, 2 months ago

He has played in countless games with the UK recruits already. Hope he wants a change.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 2 months ago

All this Wiggins talk got me out to the ESPN recruiting page. I knew they loved Selden and really liked Frankamp and Greene. But they have Embiid ranked #6 in the entire 2013 class. When the heck did this happen? I seem to recall when we recruited the big fella he was a "prospect?" Nice class coming together. I think I even saw that Mason had entered someone's Top 100. I'm not counting on Wiggins, but already a really nice class!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Well...according to Rivals he's one of the top 5 or 10 recruits of the past 10 years. His only weaknesses: dribbling and shooting. I guess that the other 5 or 10 guys could both dribble and shoot.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Who needs to dribble when you can spin, jump step and dunk from the 3pt. line?

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

"Hope...is a dangerous thing." --Red, The Shawshank Redemption

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”

― Epicurus

gchawk 1 year, 2 months ago

"Hope is a good thing, sometimes the best thing" - Andy Defresne, same movie!!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Hope is a town in Arkansas, not so far from Mena."

--jaybate

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

“Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper.”

― Francis Bacon

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Bacon empirically explains much plaque in arteries, but it does not explain naming a man Francis."

--jaybate

:-)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

" I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too! " The Wicked Witch of the West - The Wizard of Oz.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"The Wizard of Oz was a precautionary tale to Kansans and others about what happens when virtue joins with populist reform and tries to fix the mess that the powers behind the curtains have made of things. It sets one on a journey through a disorienting, at times seemingly hallucinogenic dreamscape that ends up back in one's house being grateful to have survived it. Make of it what you will."

--jaybate

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

"Hope springs eternal," he said. But, really, is man ever blessed?

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"The only ones that don't want you to hope are the ones afraid your hopes will take away what they already have." --jaybate

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

"Those who quote others do so because they have no worthy thoughts of their own." --twocoach

"Hope springs internal." --jaybate

:-)

coolhand357 1 year, 2 months ago

"You use your tongue better than a $20 whore!"- Slim Pickins

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Pickin's are slim, but Slim Pickens grew increasingly not."

--jaybate

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Prostitution is not only the oldest profession, but the only one that admits to trying to screw you."

--jaybate

Bob Thompson 1 year, 2 months ago

My 2 cents is he goes to KY. KU runs a sophisticated offence that takes time to learn. McLemore had a year of red shirt to learn it, Selby never did learn it, Rush didn't do well his first year. Wiggins would learn a lot about basketball going to KU, but if you are just interested in going pro then go to KY where you won't learn much, but is a quick step to pro.

DanR 1 year, 2 months ago

I predict that this is either the last, second to last, or first of many stories about Andrew Wiggins in the LJW.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, but don't rule out the possibility of there also being others.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm sure Wiggins has been a star in high school, but remember, Xavier Henry and Josh Selby were highly touted and didn't pan out here, and now they're floundering in the NBA. If we get Wiggins, how do we know he'll be any better?

Bradly Moore 1 year, 2 months ago

He will go to Kentucky, like all the rest.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Who cares about this kid?

Seems like nothing but drama....and scandal.

gchawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Not to be argumenterary, but I think your thinking might be off a little with this kid, Rooster. He's actually a pretty quiet young man who really doesn't care for all the media attention that much. I can't answer for any scandal aspect, in this day and age it seems that you run that chance with almost every top recruit anymore.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

Wiggins would be nice but did anyone else catch the fact that Embiid is now #6 rated player in this class - Wow - what a jump from not being rated a year ago - i am sure someone has but I bet very few have made a jump that far in the rankings in that short of time. He must have been a beast this year-

Wildhawk2198 1 year, 2 months ago

If family is the most important thing to him he only needs to look at what the program has done in the last couple of years. F.O.E!!!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Last I checked, we have the No. 2 recruiting class in the nation....without Wiggins. Don't get greedy, folks. Let Calipari help Wiggins cash his paycheck and be done with it.

We've got some serious firepower next year. I have a feeling that this kid could be a poison to any program he joins.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I've seen nothing to suggest that. By all accounts he's a good teammate. We're not talking Harrison twins here.

I'm impressed that he's not done a lot of talking to the press and that he's having a quiet ceremony today to announce. I really think this has just been a difficult decision for him. I realize it's frustrating that we've all had to wait this long for his decision, but he's done absolutely nothing to suggest he would be poison to a program.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

Greedy? What's wrong with both wanting the best players possible AND not wanting him to go to one o fthe key teams (UK or UNC) that stand in the path of the goal? That's called BEING A FAN.

Every one of the 4 finalists have good points. Wiggins seems to be very adverse to the spotlight so that favors FSU. They would be a mid tier team even with Wiggins.

Carolina will have some good players around him and would compete for a Final Four berth although I think Roy's best days of coaching are behind him.

Kentucky offers the intrigue of a loaded roster with practices that will be like an NBA practice. He will be pushed to improve there and will compete for a title.

Kansas offers the same as Carolina but with the addition of the close proximity to his brother at Wichita State. It will be an interesting day for sure. We'll know in a little over two hours one way or the other. Never seen a recruitment so locked down and silent before. Crazy.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

If Wiggins went to Missouri he still would be the #1 overall in next years draft- so complicated offense or not - the next King James hype gets you the #1 overall. Henry and Selby proved they don't have the goods to be great in the NBA - and I don't see Tar Heels, Duke, or UK turning out NBA All Stars every year - You either got it or you don't and all these coaches are not HOF coaches because they don't know how to coach a kid up-

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 2 months ago

"Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 prospect in the high school recruiting Class of 2013, will sign a letter of intent with Kansas University . . . " made me get excited for a second . . . then I kept reading.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

1] Is it worth stunting the development of likely 4 year players White and/or Greene simply to have Wiggins for one season?

2] Will a guy like Wiggins cause a disruption in team chemistry that will actually create a team that doesn't play as well as it otherwise would have without him?

3] What value does it really bring to recruit over talented players we already have, loyal guys -- bringing in a guy who has one foot out the door before he even gets here?

4] Would KU be better in 2014-15 without having the presumed OAD drama Wiggins would bring in 2013-14?

5] Would KU (with coach Self and the value he places on his system) just be better off if it simply avoided presumed OADs altogether, focusing on the high-talent top 50 guys that still have to work hard and improve in college to have NBA careers?

I hope Wiggins goes and plays for Roy.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

On your question, I think as program philosophy with Coach Self as our coach, and his reliance on "system", and his general preference to experience over freshmen, that I would avoid presumed OADs entirely except to fill a clear hole.

Julius Randle is the best example of a presumed OAD I wish we could have landed. Randle was the perfect storm because we had a clear need, and no one that it would cost playing time was a top talent. We could have simply had a rotation of Randle, Ellis, and Embiid sharing 80 minutes in the post, with Traylor or Lucas at 5 or 6 minutes a game.

I think my main thought related to presumed OADs is on Self, what we know of him, his preferences, his temperament, and his coaching. But I also don't like guys who aren't here with a real need to get better.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

HEM, I can't believe you, of all people, are asking these questions. I have to believe it is tongue in cheek. You're the guy who loves the player rankings...

You and I both understand that he probably takes us from a top 15 team next year to a top 5 team. We won't have our usual upper class experience and depth next year, and we could really use a guy like this to bridge the gap. Seldon is going to be great, but I don't see him as a guy who can carry a team as a freshman.

Unless White suddenly develops quick feet, I don't see where Wiggins would do much to stunt his growth. White can shoot, and he's long, but I've seen nothing to suggest he's ever going to be a big time star at KU. I hope he hits the weights hard and improves his explosiveness and proves me wrong but I just don't see elite quickness there. As for Greene, Self will get him his minutes, he's too talented to sit a lot.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Nope, not tongue in cheek. I have been very consistent in preferring that we pursue guys that aren't presumed OADs, focusing on top 50 guys.

I may be wrong on stunting growth. I can't say for sure. But I do believe firmly that guys get better when they get to play in games. That is why I reference stunting growth.

See my reply to kD .. that pretty much sums up why I think the way I do on the subject (mainly based on our coach). And I don't really like guys with one foot out the door before they get here.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

HEM, I share your concerns. I am also concerned about the greater potential baggage that may come with these types of players (see current BMac issuses). That said, I can't bring myself to hope that he goes elsewhere. With Wiggins, on paper, we are an instant NC contnender. Without him, probably not until 2014 -2015. It makes for an interesting short term / long term discussion.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

The fact that he is doing this privately sits very well with me. A little humility goes a long, long way in my world.

Good Luck Andrew. I hope you are a Jayhawk, but I'll cheer for you no matter where you play.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

ANDREW IS COMING TO KANSAS!!!!!!!..........or not. :) :( :) :( :) :( ?????

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

Not falling for the KU-hype...nope...not gonna do it.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I suspect that he'll announce one of the other three schools.

Then I feel like that before Friday we end up finding out that we get Tarik Black for just next year instead.

Suddenly a crowded 5-man frontcourt

Lineup =

Tharpe / F.Mason

Selden / Frankamp

B. Greene / White III

P. Ellis / Lucas / Traylor

T. Black (initially) / Embiid (starter after a month or so)

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Black was bench warmer at Memphis, a marginal top 25 team last season. What makes you think he will start?

mandomax 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm afraid Harrison Barnes' rookie year stats, especially in the playoffs, might sway Wiggins to UNC...

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm hoping that Harrison Barnes' freshman stats might sway him away from UNC.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Could see a Pelicans stop in his future.

Could have the makings of a good team though, say:

G. Vazquez, Oladipo, Wiggins, Ry. Anderson, A. Davis

Ro. Lopez, A. Rivers main pieces off the bench.

karken1992 1 year, 2 months ago

I have noticed on several occasions that writers for this paper read and respond to comments on a half way regular basis. Would like to offer an idea for an article that would intrigue me (and I am guessing many others). If we do not get Wiggins I would like to hear from him and other big recruits KU did not get how much it weighed on their decision that KU is an Adidas school. If it did weigh on their decision, why? Was it the actual gear/ coolness factor or the fear of being locked out of potential endorsements after school or what?

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 2 months ago

espn has already had a big blue( UK possible super/frosh?) on one of their side bars this morning. It sat for a couple of minutes then disappeared. I loath that stuff. I have a Dr's appt this morning and my heart rate is through the roof. If I tell the truth about why I'm so.......... Wigged, sorry I had too, probably be another trip to the 4th FLOOR! This feels like one of those Christmas mornings when I thought I was getting the greatest toy ever made, mini-bike, go-cart, 12ga. auto pump whatever, the stocking was always good. Have a great day Hawks!

Joe Joseph 1 year, 2 months ago

I realize this is long overdue. But I am really, really scared right now.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 2 months ago

1:45 left until his decides!! I'm so nervous!! I'm in school right now... I'm gunna be on my laptop sweating and updating the recruiting homepage on ESPN while someone is presenting their final English project lol. I'm gunna scream and interrupt him in the middle of it if he picks KU. Rock Chalk baby! I'm feeling confident!

pepper_bar 1 year, 2 months ago

I look forward to hearing this student-athlete announce his chosen educational institution. Perhaps he will also tell us what he will major in. I'm going to predict "Communications."

Oh, and in the other guessing game, I'm picking North Carolina.

johnnyphoton 1 year, 2 months ago

Whichever school obtains his services, I wish "the stay" was for two years. These coaches/staffs work their tails off for who knows how many years. And for what, one year? Considering his recruiting and won/loss records, it's clear that Bill Self is the best coach in the nation.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

For my last guess 1 hr. before hand I'm going to say "FSU".

joeloveshawks 1 year, 2 months ago

Well if Wiggins picks UNC, UK or FSU I will simply go about my day. If he chooses to be a Jayhawk I may take the rest of the day off to drink beers and look at all of the trash talk on ESPN. It is the little things in life.

Craig Lang 1 year, 2 months ago

My hope is he will go to KU, but my prediction is that it will be Kentucky.

I am sure I will still be disappointed if he picks anywhere but KU, but I will be less disappointed if he picks FSU. That would at least indicate that family is important to him. It would also mean that he did not fall into the trap that a large number of top 10 recruits fall into by just going with Calipari at Kentucky.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Interesting piece to kill some time before the bomb drops. I found it while looking for rules about hiring a recruit’s parent as an assistant. It covers the beginning of the Larry era and the hiring of Ed Manning during the Danny Manning sweepstakes.

I thought it was very interesting to see some of the other candidates for the coaching position when Larry was hired. Including Dean Smith!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Its About the Management Regime, Stupid"

Part 1

I have no idea where he is going.

But it still seems that what we are witnessing is an elaborate bidding apparatus play out. Wholesale agents, retail agents, and firms with products to endorse benefit from the maximization of Wiggins' hype. He is branded before he hits the floor for a year of promotion in D1. He has a short list of schools/coaches he will consider. Each team of wholesale agents/retail agents/apparel firms (call it a Management Regime, or MR for short) has a short list of schools/coaches satisfactory to them. The bidding by MRs probably occurs through the conduit of an attorney retained by the family, so that attorney client privilege protects the activity from being dragged out into public scrutiny. Bidding can probably continue up to the last moment the kid can enroll, but in reality what is preferred is for the bidding to stop at this mutually agreed upon deadline, so that the player's public image and Q-rating can be spun more positively between now and when the season starts.

The long bidding/hyping process inevitably triggers a significant public perception of a hold out by a greedy, cocky, swaggering, selfish kid. Andrew, who is by all accounts a hugely confident athlete, though apparently less audaciously mannered in a Canadian sort of way, probably had to be fed some of the lines he used during the last 8 months to increase his media heat and profile. But the actions required to attract the attention builds in a few negative perceptions, too, that then have to be buffed out between now and the start of the season by a series of public relations steps.

The first step is the "private signing," which spins perception of the player away from a greedy hold out into a quiet kid still suffused with humility, who has "really" been devoted all along to his school, his high school coach, and his school friends. The spin aims to make us love him as a humble, good kid again and so perceive his brand more positively starting now.

The market research has probably indicated that the recent guys given the star treatment would have been more successful product pitchmen had their Q-Ratings been massaged earlier to polish off the selfish angle and any defining parochial local angles.

For example, Lebron has had to fight his supposed lack of caring about where he came from image (talk about a ridiculous notion), once he left Cleveland for Miami. And before that he became so closely identified with Ohio that it probably gave him negatives with those from states without warm fuzzy feelings for Ohioans.

Part 2

Any negatives in one's public image reduce one's suitability for selling the broadest possible range of products. Lebron has had to spend a lot of bones he could have been investing and enriching himself with, instead, in managing his Q-Rating into something that could sell more kinds of things than just softdrinks and tennies in Cleveland, and fastfood from Youngstown to Cincinnati. Cleveland, despite being a perfectly fine city in many regards, is not a place product spokesperson to brag about being from, unless he is promoting Amtrak tickets to get out of it. Lebron from Miami moves more Armani than Lebron from Cleveland.

Andrew had to be moved from Canada down to USA for high school precisely to improve Americans' tendencies to relate positively to him. You don't move to West Virginia to get the stiffest high school basketball competition, any more than you move to Kansas. Its in the Eastern time zone. Its handy to all the major eastern seaboard and Great Lakes media markets. He was so good he could get all the summer ball competition exposure on a AAU team without moving to USA. He didn't need to move to West Virginia. He was likely moved there for a constellation of logistical and marketing reasons. Logistically, West Virginia was likely a handy flight and drive time from his home in Canada, while market research probably indicated that West Virginia had a kind of neutral background perception for his high school branding that would trigger very few negatives during the high school hyping process. Maybe some extended family was near. It was also sufficiently removed from hard to manage media in big cities, etc. Thus his media contact could be carefully modulated by insertions into the various meat market games starting from a neutral background with fewer hard to control outside media influences.

The trick to developing pitch men for marketing is to create someone that everyone loves, and trusts, and looks up to without creating unintended negatives. This has been all about accomplishing that, while lining him up with a decent coach, in the process of maxxing the product endorsement revenue streams shortly to come by getting lined up with an optimal management regime.

Or to rip off James Carville yet again: its about the management regime, stupid.

Then the coach.

Next.

Practice self-immolation...

And I will hand you a match.

Or perhaps two.

:-)

Glen Miller 1 year, 2 months ago

I have been following this recruitment for a while now, trying to get a hold of what this kid might do. First off, let me say that I think the fact that he's not doing "The decision part deux" shows what kind of maturity this kid has compared to all these kids that put on a big show and pick a hat on ESPN and whatnot. Second, I hope that wherever he choses is where he "wants" to go and not where his mom and dad want him to go (I'm looking at you FSU). If he comes here I will be ecstatic, if he doesn't I'll be disappointed but still happy. We do have a kid named Perry that is only going to be better next year. The man lost in this mix of recruiting chaos is that one kid named Selden who looks like a legit player in his own right. We've got shooters coming in, a big man that is only going to get better under Self and kids that are hungry who didn't play much last year..... I don't doubt that come March, whether Wiggins comes here or not we will be in the hunt for a title.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

It's FSU. He is doing this closed door with only family, close friends, and his school classmates. His parents went to FSU and his best friend is at FSU. - it all adds up!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

A seminal thought about a future Seminole?

It works for me.

Page Butler 1 year, 2 months ago

What I can predict with 100% certainty is that if Andrew picks another school besides KU that most of the posts towards him will go from a positive "He's a good kid and should come to our school" to "What a stupid kid for choosing the other guy". Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope for a big win today. If not let's be glad we get to be KU fans no matter what.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

And if he were to pick KU, then all the negatives would soon turn to positives.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 2 months ago

First, we're fine without him. One and dones can be a distraction... Xavier Henry and Selby.

Second, if he doesn't come to KU, I hope he goes to UK... will be more fun to root against them next year. FSU would be honorable, but boring.

ferdthemooncat 1 year, 2 months ago

Helllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, baby!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

I was kidding, I'll take Wiggins if we have to.

shinguard 1 year, 2 months ago

Announcement at 12:09 pm that he will be going to Kansas with Bill Self and Kurtis Townsend.

downriverdan 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to the University of Kansas, young Jayhawk, Andrew Wiggins!

Ryan Patti 1 year, 2 months ago

HE PICKED KU!!!!! ROCK CHALK WIGGINS HAWK!!

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

YEah baby ITs KU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

Forget rebuilding - it's Final Four or bust next year

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

ROCK CHALK WIGGINS!!!! Great day to be a HAWK!

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't embrace the OAD era but WTF ...GOOD FOR US!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Brian Mensch 1 year, 2 months ago

Wiggins to Kansas!!!!!! I'm so freaking happy right now!!!! Wiggins, Selden, Embiid, Lucas, Greene, Traylor, and Connor...can't freaking wait for October!!!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 2 months ago

Now that I think about it Wiggins had perfect timing, will be a perfect fit, and made the right choice. Summertime...his Daddy's rich and his Mama's good looking.

jaybaten sportisher netwerken (jsn):

Datenlinen: Berlin

Sluggen: Americanisher Signen vis Kansaser? Nein...Americaniser Signen Vis FEEEPU!!!

Crazed Bavarian Fuller Brush salesmen acting as jsn stringers in Florida and Toronto and Berlin report that super agent runner Weinhard "Private Reserve" Hauptman-Scheiss has struck a deal with Pat Riley of the Miami Heat to string the beads on a deal that will eventually bring a high school phenomenon believed to be Andrew Wiggins to new to D1 Florida Everglades Environmental and Ecological Preserve University aka FEEEPU. Herr Riley will hire Phil Jackson to coach FEEEPU for a year before promoting him and the player believed to be Andrew Wiggins to the Heat, where Miami's BIG THREE plus their only player that can really produce in the clutch, Mario Chalmers, will unite with a player believed to be Andrew Wiggins and form an unbeatable NBA franchise that will then be upset in the finals by San Antonio.

Developing...

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

joeloveshawks 1 year, 2 months ago

If you guys are interested in having some fun over your lunch break just check out the ESPN board on Wiggins decision. Kentucky fans are already out in force to say they did not need this guy. A day when Coach Cal misses out on a big recruit is a great day but when it is Andrew Wiggins and he goes to KU it is the best day I have had in a very long time.