Originally published May 12, 2013 at 08:28p.m., updated May 12, 2013 at 11:40p.m.

Top prospect Andrew Wiggins to announce on Tuesday

Zach Peters picks Arizona as transfer destination

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

Andrew Wiggins will tell the world Tuesday where he’ll be playing college basketball next season.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 senior forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is ranked No. 1 nationally in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com and expected to be the No. 1 player taken in the 2014 NBA Draft, will announce his college choice at 11:15 a.m., Central time, Tuesday, his coach, Rob Fulford, announced Sunday on Twitter and in text messages to media members.

An NBA scout recently told the Journal-World Wiggins would be selected No. 1 if eligible for the 2013 Draft. He has a final four of Kansas University, Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.

“Andrew Wiggins will sign Tuesday at around 12:15 (Eastern time). He will not hold a press conference type ceremony. Just classmates, family and friends,” Huntington Prep coach Fulford tweeted.

Just one reporter from the local paper will be invited to the private ceremony.

“He does not want to have a press conference signing,” Fulford said in a text message. “He wants it private. Our local newspaper writer, Grant Taylor, will be there to relay (the decision). Appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding. He wanted his mother to be here when he signed. I have no clue where he’s going or leaning, so I’m not much help here.”

At some point, the rumor mill has had Wiggins choosing each of the four finalists. The current hot choice is Florida State, where both of his parents went to school. Jerry Meyer, national recruiting analyst for 247 Sports, predicts FSU.

However, Marc Maggard of truebluekentucky.com tweets, “No school recruiting Wiggins has a clue where he is going to go. Ignore (anyone) telling you otherwise. AND, UK is recruiting (top five junior) Cliff Alexander.”

Also, Maggard tweeted, “I think it is a 3-way decision that has not been made. Andrew gets biggest vote, but mom and pop are smart and have a voice.”

Peters to Arizona: Forward Zach Peters, who left KU after first semester because of concussion issues, will transfer to the University of Arizona.

Peters, a 6-11, 235-pounder from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, chose the Wildcats over Texas and Oklahoma, Zach’s dad, Tim, told the Arizona Daily Star.

“He’s going to do a fresh start in the Pac-12 and committed to coach (Sean) Miller,” Tim Peters told the Daily Star. “He’s been very fortunate to play for a great program at Kansas and for a great coach like coach (Bill) Self. He just got healthy and cleared in February, and has been back in the gym. We just started talking to schools three weeks ago and Arizona just jumped in there ahead of the pack.”

Zach Peters first suffered a concussion at the LeBron James camp as a high school junior. He suffered a concussion in the first game of football season his senior year. He suffered two concussions playing basketball first semester at KU.

Tim Peters said Zach’s concussion symptoms subsided after he returned to Plano after first semester.

“We went to a concussion specialist in January, shut him down and they ran extensive tests,” Tim Peters told the Daily Star. “They did IQ tests, memory tests, short-term memory, long-term memory and fortunately for Zach, he was in the 78 to 80 percentile for a college freshman. So once he shut down, everything went exactly what the way it’s supposed to.”

Peters hopes to be granted immediate eligibility at Arizona, instead of having to sit out a season, because of his medical situation.

Kaun gets third: Sasha Kaun’s CSKA Moscow team defeated Barcelona, 74-73, Sunday to place third at Euroleague Basketball’s Final Four in London. Kaun had seven points and four rebounds. Olympiacos defeated CSKA, 69-52, in the semifinals on Friday.

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 11 months, 1 week ago

Wow, this kid gets more ink than Gov Brownback and Pesident Obama!!

We have here a high school kid that can bounce a ball and throw it though a hoop.

In high school.

That's all he does.

But you would think that his presence is parallel to the Second Coming.

How many of these one year wonders have worked out at KU??

Look at what you are doing and think it over, is this REALLY important????

ejayhawk789 11 months, 1 week ago

There is some buzz online pointing towards Kansas. Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, just saying...

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 1 week ago

I think Wiggins will be the most valuable at UNC. If he goes to UK they will probably win the ship, but he won't make as much as an impact. If he goes to FSU, he won't come close to a ship, but play in a good conference against top notch talent to prove he is who he is and also have a chance to be a leader. If he goes to KU, he will help us win ANOTHER Big 12 title, and have a legitimate shot at the ship, but lack the big time exposure he would get from an ACC/SEC/or Big East school. And finally, if he goes to UNC, he will play in the toughest conference in the nation, against the best talent, while getting the glorified east coast publicity. Roy needs him more than any other coach, which is why I feel he has tried to hardest in recruiting him. I hope Roy does get him, because it would be nice to see UNC good again. This is what could regain Roy's composure.

As far as where I think he's going, I would have to say UK or FSU. It's going to be one of the extremes. Either he wants a ship or he wants to follow mommy and daddy's footsteps and be a stand out leader on a lack luster roster. KU and UNC fit in the middle, and lets face it, the middle isn't where a star wants to be seen. For us this will work out in the end and we will land the memphis transfer which is all we need to have a shot at the Big 12 title and possibly the ship next year. Nothing but optimism for me regardless of where Wiggins goes! RCJH!

msezdsit 11 months, 1 week ago

He will mock two or three of the other highly respectable programs and then put his Kentucky hat on. Just like his future teammate randle did. It is very disrespectful to the other schools and that is all they will get from this kid. All the pub and dreaming just adds to that.

kennethterry92 11 months, 1 week ago

The check from calipari must have cleared so he is ready to sign..

Kevin Huffman 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm less "on pins and needles" regarding 1 years of Andrew Wiggins than I am one year of Tyus Jones or 3-4 years of Jordan McLauglin or PREFERRABLY Josh Perkins.

My dream twosome would be Jo. Perkins & Cl. Alexander. Cliff Alexander's sounding VERY MUCH like UK or MSU though.

Some were talking about Tyus Jones / J. Okafor pkg., but it's sounding less likely now.

Supposedly, we REALLY made an impression on Okafor in our home visit.

I'd be plenty happy with McLaughlin or Perkins w/ Okafor for the two '14 recruits we'd be able to bring in.

If not that I still want a PG, but the other could be any other position really. I've heard some hopes for us for Kelly Oubre or Maliik Pope.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

It was great seeing DA getting some effective PT w/the Grizzlys. He has had a really rough time w/serious injuries.

Watching Rose (medically cleared to play) sit out at Chi Town has made me reprise my opinion of him.

RockChalk26 11 months, 1 week ago

In regards to Peters, does the phrase, "Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk," apply?

DRsmith 11 months, 1 week ago

I have to admit I would love him to pick KU so we can revisit all these dumb comments on how we hate one and dones and how we don't need Wiggins. He will be labeled a savior on here tomorrow.

Krohnutz 11 months, 1 week ago

His reasonings for transferring to Arizona because of concussions make sense when you don't think about it.

Rock Chalk 11 months, 1 week ago

Blackmild posted above he is going to UK. He is rarely, if ever, wrong. Save yourself the anticipation and anxiety!!

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

The rumor I heard was that his concussion wasn't from the Labron James camp, it was from a big fight he had with one of his teammates in Jayhawk Towers and his leaving school, because of his "injury", was a way for everyone to save face.

I know it's only a rumor but the mysterious circumstances behind this whole thing would suggest that this scenario or something similar is at least possible. It would sure explain why he why he isn't taking the most logical choice and coming back to KU.

Rolland Remmert 11 months, 1 week ago

Will they have time to set up the tents and bring in the elephants and clowns before the "soft" signing?

johninkc1 11 months, 1 week ago

Hope we get Wiggins but not holding my breath. On another subject, I see where Peters is going to Arizona now. Why not back to KU or did he just use his injury to change teams?

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 months, 1 week ago

A private signing, oh so humble. So why hold out to be the last to announce?

Ian Emerson 11 months, 1 week ago

Hahahahaha my sources? What kind of 'sources' do you have?

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 11 months, 1 week ago

My sources tell me Andrew Wiggins will be headed to Kansas. His mom wants him to go to Ku and his dad wants him to go to Florida State. Wiggins wants to go to Kansas as well.

Scut Farkus 11 months, 1 week ago

I really don't think he would make that much of a difference. O&D's just don't seem to fit into the Kansas style of basketball. Granted, he is an offensive machine, but offense can also be shared. Can he play defense? Team ball?

DRsmith 11 months, 1 week ago

FSU without a doubt. KU didn't have much of a chance with their record with OADs. Too many stars already at UK. He doesn't want to risk losing his #1 Draft Pick slot to a guy like Randle.

AsadZ 11 months, 1 week ago

Explanation given on roommate change from AW3 was that Tyle will have more direct line to HCBS and coaching stagg in case of any emotional/physical side effects issues caused by injuries.

KansasComet 11 months, 1 week ago

I cannot remember, but were teammates saddened by Peters departure?

midwest_muser 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm guessing that if Bill wanted Peters he would be coming back. Something more than his head and shoulders weren't right. Maybe his heart?

Steve Gantz 11 months, 1 week ago

So his coach tweeted that he's going to announce, that bodes well for who exactly? The tweet mentioned eastern time zone, that means he's going to an eastern time zone school right?

He's gong to announce on the 14th, we've got 14 final four appearances, so man, that must mean he's coming here.

He wants no media involved, of course that's good for us since the east coast media ignores us.

His initials are AW, and we've already got one of those, so he may not want to come here after all.

In his picture he's not smiling which means he decided to go to Kentucky, but is already realizing it's a mistake.

Of course, he's going to North Carolina because he was drafted by the Bulls who of course employed another famous North Carolinian.

But in a surprise move the Topeka YMCA swoops in, he signs with them and he instantly gives credibility to that long forgotten about program.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

My only comment is that the relatively dignified....aw, heck,. compared to many others....downright dignified way the Wiggins family is handling this announcement is more of a reflection of the Wiggins personna than a true indicator of which school Andrew is going to choose.

I feel all four schools are in play, but my gut places the order from most likely to least likely, Florida State, North Carolina, Kansas, UK. Just as likely, the reality maybe just the reverse order!!

Regarding Zach Peters, I hope it works out for him, no matter what really went down in Lawrence. For all the reasons so eloquently listed by the previous posters, it just wasn't meant to be.

Adam Evans 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm a little confused...peters was very complimentary, but transferred because of concussions? Almost like KU was the cause of those concussions. Stupid reason to transfer. I'm not mad or annoyed, just confused. Because concussions can happen at any school contrary to popular belief.

KEITHMILES05 11 months, 1 week ago

Peters had a breakdown and left the team for several days.

Michael Luby 11 months, 1 week ago

joeloveshawks 11 months, 1 week ago

I don't know why but I have never felt like Wiggins would come to KU. If he does that will be great but I won't be very surprised if he is playing outside of Lawrence. I truly thought we were going to land Randle though so you never know. Very pleased it will all be decided tomorrow and we can all move on.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

Now, back to present day, May/2013.

Nearly all posters here were sympathetic, empathetic, and generally good natured in wishing Peters the best when he exited. All premised on him needing to get healthy. But now, I guess it turns my stomach a bit when we can now more easily conclude that it wasn't injuries that caused him to leave. To be blunt, a load of crap is what that story was.

The logic of "why not get healthy at KU" makes even more sense. Great medical staff. Great team. All things seemed good. But they weren't.

Does it now surprise anyone to know that Tucson AZ is twice the driving distance from Plano TX than Lawrence KS is? Heck, I at least thought he'd go somewhere closer to home. I at least gave him that benefit of the doubt there. But he goes to Arizona.

Remember, the "story" on why he was sitting out early on was his shoulder, right? Not concussions. The shoulder. Note that the shoulder was not mentioned in this story, or the one a few weeks ago. Not a word. And of course, with the concussion issues as they were, he was still able to finish his classes at KU without an issue, right?

But ok .. no doubt that he had concussions. No doubt, that it was too risky to play at the time. No doubt, that he needed to get healthy. (I'll be honest with you .. a small part of me now skeptical on the claimed severity of the concussions -- I wasn't before, but I am now).

Regardless, I'm very comfortable in saying that there is now no doubt that the concussions were not the reason he left KU.

Dee Shaw 11 months, 1 week ago

A private ceremony at his school with his family and a select few on the guest list. My money is on FSU. Seems like a family reunion. We all know were his mother and father went. Amazing how much energy and time has been wasted on this young man making up his mind. I am guilty of this. Checking each day to see if he has made up his mind. Hoping and praying that he chooses the Jayhawks. Either way the young man can't go wrong with the four schools on his final list. My hopes of the Jayhawks landing him aren't real high. Wonder if the McLemore situation these last few weeks scare Wiggins or Self away from one another. Just a thought.

Bryce Landon 11 months, 1 week ago

Now, at last, can we put this drama about Wiggins to rest? You've been obsessing about him like he was Michael Jordan or LeBron James.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

From November/2012: I get all of the comments about Peters wanting to get healthy, etc. It all makes sense.

But the reasonable question is .. why couldn't he get healthy here? That is fair to ask.

Further, it is reasonable to not believe everything you hear, and to at least wonder if there's more to it. Remember, there was not word one that the concussion thing was an issue. It was the shoulder that was keeping him out. It seems obvious to me that there is more to this, at least as far as rationale for leaving. Meaning, this decision isn't solely about just "getting healthy."

If it was, playing would not be an issue. If "playing" is not the issue, why leave? As a note, by leaving now, he can be eligible to play for someone else appx. mid-December of 2013.

Why not stay, go to class, get healthy, absorb and learn the system, and give it a go next fall?

That is my question. But if we allow ourselves to think further, we probably .. maybe .. can figure it out. Bear with me here.

-It is reasonable to believe he needs to get healthy. We've heard it from Peters and Self.

-It is reasonable to guess is that Peters thought it was difficult to stay and not be able to participate. Tough situation with teammates, etc. But lots of kids who get hurt have that.

-Those two items don't lead to the conclusion that he should leave. Getting healthy and a tough situation staying and not participating could work going forward.

-It could work going forward IF, and only IF, he was in a good position to compete next season or in the future for playing time.

-That makes sense, right? If he stayed, tried to get healthy, and wasn't ready by next fall anyway, he has bigger issues where playing, period, is in jeopardy.

-He makes the decision to leave now, and he's eligible to play by mid-December, 2013 .. somewhere else.

-If he stays, he's eligible immediately next fall. Why leave and go to another school if you have to wait to play?

I believe that adding this up, the belief that he ultimately would not be in a position to compete for playing time in 2013, or in the future, was the deciding factor. He gains nothing by leaving, other than the ability to play somewhere else later than he would be able to play at KU. If he thought he was be able to play at KU .. get playing time .. there no reason to leave.

All of that makes sense, and no one would criticize that decision making process if it were true.

I do believe, most likely, we didn't get all of the information. And Self already told us in his interview the weekend before Thanksgiving that there is a lot of stuff fans aren't told, "behind the scenes" stuff. Not earth-shattering, but we need to remember that.

My bet .. he goes to Houston, or SMU, or Tulsa, LSU, UTSA, Texas A&M, or somewhere closer to home .. and he enrolls for the fall semester, 2013. And that he's playing come the end of the first semester of 2013.

Regardless, I hope it all works out for him.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

Below is what I posted in the article back in November about Peters leaving:

Ryan Patti 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm saying its either UNC or our Jayhawks. UK is too loaded for Wiggins to be "the guy" or the best player. FSU also does not have the depth and strength to compete for a title. Wiggins can be the guy at KU or UNC and also compete for the title. He'd have the best of both worlds. I'm saying UNC though after this whole McLemore incident.

FearlessJayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

My sources say that Roy has Wiggins in the bag.

clevelandjayhawker 11 months, 1 week ago

Im just happy this will be coming to an end soon, I thought it might carry into July or longer

Jason Keller 11 months, 1 week ago

I feel like we have a shot... Although, I'm still not ruling out UK. Wiggins is a smart kid I think. I don't think he will fall for a lot of BS. If I was betting, I would honestly bet on KU. All factors considered, KU is probably the strongest choice.

nuleafjhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

As a boring, two sport (football and basketball) fan, this is a rough time of year for me. However, I will absorb every article from here on out regarding Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Rowing, Volleyball, Tiddlywinks, Horse Racing, Water Polo, Competitive Eating, Staring contests or any other activity that involves movement and/or competition. Even Bowling.

I just don't want to hear any more about Andrew Wiggins.

I'm wiggin about Wiggins.

Joseph Kuebel 11 months, 1 week ago

If we get Wiggins, we immediately have a shot to legitimately compete with Kentucky and with Bill Self at the helm I like our chances at being a top seed in next years tournament. I want Wiggins in a KU uniform, its about time we get our man at KU... we are overdue.

SoCalAlum 11 months, 1 week ago

Trublue's on to something. Posters in Emporia keep your eyes open - for Wiggins family looking for home for the year!

Joseph Bullock 11 months, 1 week ago

Wiggins will be choosing between Kansas and Florida State. Yes, his parents went to FSU and his best friend is there, but his brother is in Kansas, and the parents can see both kids play, a lot more often, if they are in Kansas. Also, Wiggins became very good friends with Selden and Embiid, playing in All Star Games. He would also flourish at the 3, in our system, and Hudy would do wonders for him, in his one year in College! He also wants the chance to win a National Championship, but doesn't want to go to Kentucky, where they have so many Stars, so Kansas is the logical choice! Also, so many people think Kansas will be down this year. Half way through the season, nobody will want to play against us, as our returning players mesh with our incredible freshman class. When those young guys learn to play defense the way Coach Self wants them to, the sky is the limit for the Jayhawks. We will be as deep, and as athletic, as we have ever been. We have length, strength, and great outside shooting. And all this, even if we don't get Wiggins. Rock Chalk Baby!

Preston Dwiggins 11 months, 1 week ago

What's worse? "Kansas University" or "Wiggens"? It's Wiggins folks.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 1 week ago

A rotator cuff tear doesn't heal quickly if at all, & is a major problem even if just raising your arm over your head. If he had, for instance, a I/2 in tear or more, It's painful just to raise the weight of the arm. If there's added weight, or someone hanging on... fuggetaboutit. Weight lifting is a thing of the past after a cuff tear. If it's a throwing arm, you may be finished for good. The severity of his cuff tear was never explained & that injury is just painful as all hell. After the surgery it's even worse before it gets better at all. Most Dr's say recovering to 70-80% is about the best possible & that will usually take at least a year. Recovery is a slowly staged process because of the recurrence factor. Baseball players who tear any of the 5 or so muscles that comprise the cuff are finished & can generally only throw very weakly sidearm, if at all. Re tearing % is extremely high. Trust me-it's a *#@ch! This kid just didn't like it here cause it was too physical & that's a fact. He for whatever reason, couldn't cut it either in Hudy's weight room or on the floor playing jb's eXtreme muscle ball. This is one tough program under HCBS, but after the first boot camp, effectively this kid was finished, end of story.

IrishCharlie 11 months, 1 week ago

I see it coming, if Wiggins chooses ku, he is a kid of outstanding ethics, a true student athlete; if he goes elsewhere, he's a punk that has been bribed, and will be a black mark on whatever school he attends.

chriz 11 months, 1 week ago

The strangest thing about Peters is that, if I remember correctly, he would've gotten some serious playing time by his sophomore year, right? Or was he not competing with Traylor?

Konkis Dongington III 11 months, 1 week ago

Im more than a little surprised about peters, but i can tell you one thing: he's not gonna get hit in the head playin for a softy like Sean miller. Its a safe move. At KU he could have been a senior AA. At zona, he'll be the next Angelo Cho. Sean Miller just doesn't develop talent like Self. Too bad for him.

Sam Constance 11 months, 1 week ago

Wait... Peters is still planning on playing basketball? I don't understand.

Couldn't he have been eligible for a medical redshirt with his concussion situation?

gchawk 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm with you, dylans. Why didn't Peters come back to KU, was it because Coach felt that he wasn't worth the risk, or are there other mitigating circumstances concerning this situation? Inquiring minds want to know.

dylans 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm surprised by the Peters announcement. He signed when he was a soph. I believe. It seems strange that he made a comeback attempt at another major university. It seems less strange when you realize the coaching style and conference is soft. The kid took a beating at KU. I wish him the best, but am disappointed by this outcome.

Jeff Worthington 11 months, 1 week ago

Kansas University again.....nice.

jayhawkinnc 11 months, 1 week ago

Getting Wiggins would be a bonus to an already stellar class for KU. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 1 week ago

NBC is reporting that Zach Peters is enrolling at Arizona this fall. Now that's a surprise... Bet he's glad he healed up so quick. Ya think? Or ya think we mighta been fed the sugar coated fruit loops? I always thought you had to be a soccer player if your name was Zach (Peters)Zschiewannadicht. LOL! Anyway he's gone too....probably whiff on Wiggy next.

Carolyn Troupe 11 months, 1 week ago

If Roy signs "Wiggens" , is he gonna be mad when he realizes his mistake!!

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

How many more articles and comments (quilty also) for Wiggens? On Tuesday he'll announce a postponement. If not....

I think Roy gets his boy...

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 months, 1 week ago

Regardless of who he picks (yes even if its UK) major respect for doing a quiet ceremony with friends and family and not the normal circus we have become accustom to.

phins13td 11 months, 1 week ago

He wont be picking KU. I think most know that. I'd rather we used the scholarship on someone who is going to be here at least a few years.

leessummitjayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

I think it will be either KU or FSU but most likely FSU. His best friend is at FSU and of course it is his parents alma mater. We should win one of these recruiting battles when it comes down to the wire like this.

Justin Daniel 11 months, 1 week ago

I am hoping for the best, but due to recent events i.e. Julius Randle, expect him to announce he is enrolling at Kentucky. Either way I am excited about our incoming class and would not trade our guys or our head coach for anyone. Rock Chalk.

STLJayhawk10 11 months, 1 week ago

well he's not announcing on tv so good sign for KU and bad for UK. UK would want him to announce in front of the whole school and float that UK logo for the whole look.

I think he's picking FSU