Originally published May 12, 2013 at 08:28p.m., updated May 12, 2013 at 11:40p.m.

Top prospect Andrew Wiggins to announce on Tuesday

Zach Peters picks Arizona as transfer destination

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

Andrew Wiggins will tell the world Tuesday where he’ll be playing college basketball next season.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 senior forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is ranked No. 1 nationally in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com and expected to be the No. 1 player taken in the 2014 NBA Draft, will announce his college choice at 11:15 a.m., Central time, Tuesday, his coach, Rob Fulford, announced Sunday on Twitter and in text messages to media members.

An NBA scout recently told the Journal-World Wiggins would be selected No. 1 if eligible for the 2013 Draft. He has a final four of Kansas University, Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.

“Andrew Wiggins will sign Tuesday at around 12:15 (Eastern time). He will not hold a press conference type ceremony. Just classmates, family and friends,” Huntington Prep coach Fulford tweeted.

Just one reporter from the local paper will be invited to the private ceremony.

“He does not want to have a press conference signing,” Fulford said in a text message. “He wants it private. Our local newspaper writer, Grant Taylor, will be there to relay (the decision). Appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding. He wanted his mother to be here when he signed. I have no clue where he’s going or leaning, so I’m not much help here.”

At some point, the rumor mill has had Wiggins choosing each of the four finalists. The current hot choice is Florida State, where both of his parents went to school. Jerry Meyer, national recruiting analyst for 247 Sports, predicts FSU.

However, Marc Maggard of truebluekentucky.com tweets, “No school recruiting Wiggins has a clue where he is going to go. Ignore (anyone) telling you otherwise. AND, UK is recruiting (top five junior) Cliff Alexander.”

Also, Maggard tweeted, “I think it is a 3-way decision that has not been made. Andrew gets biggest vote, but mom and pop are smart and have a voice.”

Peters to Arizona: Forward Zach Peters, who left KU after first semester because of concussion issues, will transfer to the University of Arizona.

Peters, a 6-11, 235-pounder from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, chose the Wildcats over Texas and Oklahoma, Zach’s dad, Tim, told the Arizona Daily Star.

“He’s going to do a fresh start in the Pac-12 and committed to coach (Sean) Miller,” Tim Peters told the Daily Star. “He’s been very fortunate to play for a great program at Kansas and for a great coach like coach (Bill) Self. He just got healthy and cleared in February, and has been back in the gym. We just started talking to schools three weeks ago and Arizona just jumped in there ahead of the pack.”

Zach Peters first suffered a concussion at the LeBron James camp as a high school junior. He suffered a concussion in the first game of football season his senior year. He suffered two concussions playing basketball first semester at KU.

Tim Peters said Zach’s concussion symptoms subsided after he returned to Plano after first semester.

“We went to a concussion specialist in January, shut him down and they ran extensive tests,” Tim Peters told the Daily Star. “They did IQ tests, memory tests, short-term memory, long-term memory and fortunately for Zach, he was in the 78 to 80 percentile for a college freshman. So once he shut down, everything went exactly what the way it’s supposed to.”

Peters hopes to be granted immediate eligibility at Arizona, instead of having to sit out a season, because of his medical situation.

Kaun gets third: Sasha Kaun’s CSKA Moscow team defeated Barcelona, 74-73, Sunday to place third at Euroleague Basketball’s Final Four in London. Kaun had seven points and four rebounds. Olympiacos defeated CSKA, 69-52, in the semifinals on Friday.

Comments

Jace FitzGibbon 1 year, 6 months ago

well he's not announcing on tv so good sign for KU and bad for UK. UK would want him to announce in front of the whole school and float that UK logo for the whole look.

I think he's picking FSU

Justin Daniel 1 year, 6 months ago

I would not be surprised by an FSU selection either, I think that would be pretty honorable as a matter of fact. There are not too many people with his talents that would choose to follow the footsteps of their parents.

Jace FitzGibbon 1 year, 6 months ago

i can't sell them. i lost the rights to this lawyer....

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?

Justin Daniel 1 year, 6 months ago

I am hoping for the best, but due to recent events i.e. Julius Randle, expect him to announce he is enrolling at Kentucky. Either way I am excited about our incoming class and would not trade our guys or our head coach for anyone. Rock Chalk.

Noel Graham 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it will be either KU or FSU but most likely FSU. His best friend is at FSU and of course it is his parents alma mater. We should win one of these recruiting battles when it comes down to the wire like this.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

I sometimes get the feeling a lot of these kids just take a free visit to Allen Field House with no real intention of attending Kansas. They just want to experience the greatest atmosphere in basketball. They don't realize, by not attending KU, just what they're missing out on. Living the life of a rock star and playing in the greatest sports venue on the planet. What could be better?

archercc 1 year, 6 months ago

His brother is also just up the road at WSU for another year, hopefully that bodes well for us.

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

He wont be picking KU. I think most know that. I'd rather we used the scholarship on someone who is going to be here at least a few years.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 6 months ago

Regardless of who he picks (yes even if its UK) major respect for doing a quiet ceremony with friends and family and not the normal circus we have become accustom to.

yates33333 1 year, 6 months ago

I decided to stop posting during the summer, but this compels a post. Why do you make such intelligent comments sometime and such mean, stupid ones other times? Talk about a split personality. Or are you two people?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

How many more articles and comments (quilty also) for Wiggens? On Tuesday he'll announce a postponement. If not....

I think Roy gets his boy...

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 6 months ago

If Roy signs "Wiggens" , is he gonna be mad when he realizes his mistake!!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

Ralph Wiggum? I though you said your name was Andrew Wiggins?

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

NBC is reporting that Zach Peters is enrolling at Arizona this fall. Now that's a surprise... Bet he's glad he healed up so quick. Ya think? Or ya think we mighta been fed the sugar coated fruit loops? I always thought you had to be a soccer player if your name was Zach (Peters)Zschiewannadicht. LOL! Anyway he's gone too....probably whiff on Wiggy next.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

Getting Wiggins would be a bonus to an already stellar class for KU. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

Cmill1221 1 year, 6 months ago

You sound like an Ohio State fan who gets upset when you don't call it "THE" Ohio State University.

Ryan Leary 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it ridiculous...

coloradorcj 1 year, 6 months ago

Not sure why everyone is annoyed at this comment. I can't stand them printing Kansas University, but I don't complain about it (except right now, I guess). Out in my neck of the woods the newspapers (do people still get newspapers?) refer to the University of Colorado as CU... or CU as University of Colorado, not Colorado University. I really don't understand why LJW can't do the same with KU.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm surprised by the Peters announcement. He signed when he was a soph. I believe. It seems strange that he made a comeback attempt at another major university. It seems less strange when you realize the coaching style and conference is soft. The kid took a beating at KU. I wish him the best, but am disappointed by this outcome.

TheBoHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't think there is any indication that he's playing basketball... he's just transferring to UA

BainDread 1 year, 6 months ago

The article was updated and greatly expanded since you posted. It's now clear that he is going to try to play basketball at UA.

John Epperson 1 year, 6 months ago

Except for the "he's hoping to be eligible immediately" part.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 6 months ago

There's gotta be some behind-the-door scenes they've shadowed from people like us. I smell some conspiracy theories.

gchawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm with you, dylans. Why didn't Peters come back to KU, was it because Coach felt that he wasn't worth the risk, or are there other mitigating circumstances concerning this situation? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe he would've and Self preferred Mickelson when we got that chance?

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

If Peters and Self wanted him to be back playing for KU, then he would be back playing for KU. It was clear, for whatever reasons, that when it was announced that he was leaving the team, he was leaving the team for good. Who knows all of the reasons why Self decided to handle the departure that way, vs. leaving the door open, but it clearly was decided that if he got healthy, he would be playing basketball someplace else. Since Self's staff are true experts in player evaluation, they may have,1) scored his future potential as "relatively" lower than they wanted to be, 2) have a solid position/policy on unusual situations such as his, or 3) Peters, Self & family really decided that he should move on with a fresh start once he recovered based on unknown issues. Wish I knew which, or what combination of factors, resulted in the split. I hope he does well despite choosing to play for stumpy; UA's a pretty great place to go to school, so certainly can't blame him for ending up there...

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I recall something said about Peters when he was a junior or senior. Maybe Self making a comment that he'd have to play harder, or be more committed? It just makes me wonder if the player coach relationship was strained.

I only saw films of Peters ... definitely looks like a big, strong guy. I was sorry to see him leave.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Wait... Peters is still planning on playing basketball? I don't understand.

Couldn't he have been eligible for a medical redshirt with his concussion situation?

lama 1 year, 6 months ago

Derrick Williams? I suspect the talent will develop fine next year -- Sean Miller is a good coach.

David Leathers 1 year, 6 months ago

Hence him leaving after his Sophmore year. That's not development, that's talent becoming more talented. TRob was developed.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

kD: You and many others are surprised .. many simply believed the version of events that were being given to us without really trying to figure out "why." There was a reason why. And it was not injuries.

Also, I'll disagree with you on Miller. To give no credit to Sean Miller for Derrick Williams' development (Williams being an unranked player), is like those that say Calipari can't coach. It's creating a fiction that we would like to be true, solely so we can feel better about what we have here.

And RockChalk -- why is that TRob, ranked in the 30s coming out of high school, was "developed", but Williams, not even ranked, was not developed? Again, it's fiction.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

It would seem that the one who would probably know the 'why" is Andrew White III - wasn't he his roommate before he left last season? Or he was and then it became Tyler Self, right?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Good thinking there .. but do you think anyone one on the LJW staff would even inquire?

yates33333 1 year, 6 months ago

Excellent point. Moreover, which is the better pro? The Rockets didn't even play TRob in the playoffs.

I suspect there is a lot more to the Peters' story. Given the number of concussions he had, if accurate, he probably should never play again. Surely his dad knows that or as assumed by me his dad knows a lot more!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe you're actually him and don't even realize it ?

yates33333 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe. But considering the Rocket's front line and its problems to get no time was unusual.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

kD: Williams wasn't ranked with Rivals (wasn't in the top 150), here's the link

I do not disagree when you compare Miller to Self, Izzo, etc. .. I disagree when folks just give little or no credit to a coach.

chriz 1 year, 6 months ago

The strangest thing about Peters is that, if I remember correctly, he would've gotten some serious playing time by his sophomore year, right? Or was he not competing with Traylor?

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

He was in line for serious playing time last year if he had stayed healthy. He was, by all reports, playing great and in the mix for significant P.T.

I'd love to know what really went down. Maybe Self trying to get him to play hurt? Self doesn't much care for softies. Usually thing like this create a buzz on campus and we eventually hear the real story, but this was kept hush hush.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

A rotator cuff tear doesn't heal quickly if at all, & is a major problem even if just raising your arm over your head. If he had, for instance, a I/2 in tear or more, It's painful just to raise the weight of the arm. If there's added weight, or someone hanging on... fuggetaboutit. Weight lifting is a thing of the past after a cuff tear. If it's a throwing arm, you may be finished for good. The severity of his cuff tear was never explained & that injury is just painful as all hell. After the surgery it's even worse before it gets better at all. Most Dr's say recovering to 70-80% is about the best possible & that will usually take at least a year. Recovery is a slowly staged process because of the recurrence factor. Baseball players who tear any of the 5 or so muscles that comprise the cuff are finished & can generally only throw very weakly sidearm, if at all. Re tearing % is extremely high. Trust me-it's a *#@ch! This kid just didn't like it here cause it was too physical & that's a fact. He for whatever reason, couldn't cut it either in Hudy's weight room or on the floor playing jb's eXtreme muscle ball. This is one tough program under HCBS, but after the first boot camp, effectively this kid was finished, end of story.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 6 months ago

Poor Mizzou fan wants to feel relevant.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 6 months ago

What's worse? "Kansas University" or "Wiggens"? It's Wiggins folks.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey guys, I heard that Kansas University has landed Wayne Seldon and possibly Andrew Wiggens, hope they play as well as Ben McClomore and Josh Shelby. I miss the days of Todd Reesling.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

KU needs to have a big white center on their team, too. What ever happened to guys like Cole Aldridge and Jeff Whithey and Sasha Kahn?

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 6 months ago

Wiggins will be choosing between Kansas and Florida State. Yes, his parents went to FSU and his best friend is there, but his brother is in Kansas, and the parents can see both kids play, a lot more often, if they are in Kansas. Also, Wiggins became very good friends with Selden and Embiid, playing in All Star Games. He would also flourish at the 3, in our system, and Hudy would do wonders for him, in his one year in College! He also wants the chance to win a National Championship, but doesn't want to go to Kentucky, where they have so many Stars, so Kansas is the logical choice! Also, so many people think Kansas will be down this year. Half way through the season, nobody will want to play against us, as our returning players mesh with our incredible freshman class. When those young guys learn to play defense the way Coach Self wants them to, the sky is the limit for the Jayhawks. We will be as deep, and as athletic, as we have ever been. We have length, strength, and great outside shooting. And all this, even if we don't get Wiggins. Rock Chalk Baby!

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

He could probably play point-forward for us next year. We could definitely use someone with his versatility handling the rock a lot.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 6 months ago

We have that in Wayne Selden for the next few years. Wiggins gives us star power and Kevin Durant-like play to get us where we left off last year.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 6 months ago

One thing that gets me nervous is UNC though. They just lost Reggie Bullock and are lacking at the 3 spot. They also can most certainly compete for a title just like us and there is no ego on the team. I think it's between us and them, but Wiggins' family I believe will have a big factor in the decision and persway KU! ROCK CHALK!!!

SoCalAlum 1 year, 6 months ago

Trublue's on to something. Posters in Emporia keep your eyes open - for Wiggins family looking for home for the year!

otaKU 1 year, 6 months ago

I HIGHLY doubt that Emporia would be the place they would want to live.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 6 months ago

If we get Wiggins, we immediately have a shot to legitimately compete with Kentucky and with Bill Self at the helm I like our chances at being a top seed in next years tournament. I want Wiggins in a KU uniform, its about time we get our man at KU... we are overdue.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

As a boring, two sport (football and basketball) fan, this is a rough time of year for me. However, I will absorb every article from here on out regarding Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Rowing, Volleyball, Tiddlywinks, Horse Racing, Water Polo, Competitive Eating, Staring contests or any other activity that involves movement and/or competition. Even Bowling.

I just don't want to hear any more about Andrew Wiggins.

I'm wiggin about Wiggins.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm glad to hear that your not attempting to wiggle out of being wigged. I'm so over wigged I've lost my waggle. Might I suggest watching "Swamp people"? It's competitive, they keep score and they use subtitles for those of us that have trouble with Cajun laced English. And no timeouts!

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

I feel like we have a shot... Although, I'm still not ruling out UK. Wiggins is a smart kid I think. I don't think he will fall for a lot of BS. If I was betting, I would honestly bet on KU. All factors considered, KU is probably the strongest choice.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Im just happy this will be coming to an end soon, I thought it might carry into July or longer

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

My sources say that Roy has Wiggins in the bag.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

With Reggie Bullock leaving for the NBA draft, that would be my guess as well. Roy recruited and coached MJ. That should have an influence on Wiggins.

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

Yea, I'm feeling pretty solid about UNC too. Feels somehow like a great fit and maybe a perfect combination of player fit [position need], exposure [east coast time slot], and tradition [sorry FSU], and legendary coach. Plus you just can't help how damn much he seems like Harrison Barnes 2.0 - the updated and improved package. sigh.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm saying its either UNC or our Jayhawks. UK is too loaded for Wiggins to be "the guy" or the best player. FSU also does not have the depth and strength to compete for a title. Wiggins can be the guy at KU or UNC and also compete for the title. He'd have the best of both worlds. I'm saying UNC though after this whole McLemore incident.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Below is what I posted in the article back in November about Peters leaving:

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

From November/2012: I get all of the comments about Peters wanting to get healthy, etc. It all makes sense.

But the reasonable question is .. why couldn't he get healthy here? That is fair to ask.

Further, it is reasonable to not believe everything you hear, and to at least wonder if there's more to it. Remember, there was not word one that the concussion thing was an issue. It was the shoulder that was keeping him out. It seems obvious to me that there is more to this, at least as far as rationale for leaving. Meaning, this decision isn't solely about just "getting healthy."

If it was, playing would not be an issue. If "playing" is not the issue, why leave? As a note, by leaving now, he can be eligible to play for someone else appx. mid-December of 2013.

Why not stay, go to class, get healthy, absorb and learn the system, and give it a go next fall?

That is my question. But if we allow ourselves to think further, we probably .. maybe .. can figure it out. Bear with me here.

-It is reasonable to believe he needs to get healthy. We've heard it from Peters and Self.

-It is reasonable to guess is that Peters thought it was difficult to stay and not be able to participate. Tough situation with teammates, etc. But lots of kids who get hurt have that.

-Those two items don't lead to the conclusion that he should leave. Getting healthy and a tough situation staying and not participating could work going forward.

-It could work going forward IF, and only IF, he was in a good position to compete next season or in the future for playing time.

-That makes sense, right? If he stayed, tried to get healthy, and wasn't ready by next fall anyway, he has bigger issues where playing, period, is in jeopardy.

-He makes the decision to leave now, and he's eligible to play by mid-December, 2013 .. somewhere else.

-If he stays, he's eligible immediately next fall. Why leave and go to another school if you have to wait to play?

I believe that adding this up, the belief that he ultimately would not be in a position to compete for playing time in 2013, or in the future, was the deciding factor. He gains nothing by leaving, other than the ability to play somewhere else later than he would be able to play at KU. If he thought he was be able to play at KU .. get playing time .. there no reason to leave.

All of that makes sense, and no one would criticize that decision making process if it were true.

I do believe, most likely, we didn't get all of the information. And Self already told us in his interview the weekend before Thanksgiving that there is a lot of stuff fans aren't told, "behind the scenes" stuff. Not earth-shattering, but we need to remember that.

My bet .. he goes to Houston, or SMU, or Tulsa, LSU, UTSA, Texas A&M, or somewhere closer to home .. and he enrolls for the fall semester, 2013. And that he's playing come the end of the first semester of 2013.

Regardless, I hope it all works out for him.

oldalum 1 year, 6 months ago

Good analysis, but I'm confused by your conclusion since the article states that he's going to Arizona. Are you saying you don't think he will go there?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

oldalum .. Thanks .. my post here is a cut and past from what I posted in November, from the article where it was announced that Peters was leaving. It's what I posted at the time he left.

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for re-posting. I think you hit everything on or close to the proverbial head back in November, HEM, and a confluence of things made his future competitiveness for PT inescapable at KU. We're all a little surprised with the UA destination - especially if he really has deep, nagging rotator cuff issues

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't drink the kool-ade either HEM. It even could have been personal & not business. One thought is that the coaching staff or Hudy may have believed he was sandbagging on the shoulder. Slight tears are really common & often go undetected till worsening. When they are bad, you can't sleep, put on clothing, anything at all, so there's no doubt if it were that bad, he would be getting the knife.Concussions have monumental residual effects & definitely are not to be dismissed lightly. Either way you were right, he's enrolling in the fall to play elsewhere. Aside from any & all spin, that's the result many of us suspected. We may never learn the real truth about this situation.Thanks for the repost HEM.

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

That was a solid post back in Nov.

Peters departure is a big mystery.

I am convinced that health issue was not the deciding factor in his departure from the program. Something else happened that resulted in his leaving KU.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

'Keeps on giving" is a great tongue in cheek description. Sounds like we may both have first hand exp. It was probably 6 mo before I could raise my arm enough get a coat or shirt on without pain-a lot of it. Couldn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a time. My labrum had a one inch tear. Torn muscles are bad enough but after they trim it & drill the bone to anchor it down, the pain is indescribable. I've had my face shattered in a car wreck, been shot, had a thumb severed & re attached, , asst. surgeries and nothing, absolutely nothing compared to the pain AFTER the surgery. Doc said it would be worse but it didn't scare me. Had no clue how bad, was "tough enough" to take it, bring it on, yeah right. I'll think long & hard before ever going through that surgery again. For the first 2 wks after, all I did was stay sedated (thoroughly) and sleep. They recommend sleeping sitting up in a chair for the initial week to 10 days. After 2 mo, then 3 mo of rehab 3 days a week & I may be 50 to 70%-I do not push it. And I won't. I ask a younger, stronger man to help now, or wait till I can get help. Am too damn old to be that macho & proud as to go through that ever again. Let's just say life is much different now than it was 5 years ago. Can't say I wasn't warned though, several relatives told me their experiences. I was to the point where I could not function so had no other option. Trust me, a person needs a lot of assistance in recovery.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Your use of logic (even if speculative) is impressive. Really good post HEM.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 6 months ago

Now, at last, can we put this drama about Wiggins to rest? You've been obsessing about him like he was Michael Jordan or LeBron James.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

He is Michael Jordan and Lebron James.... COMBINED. Mind = Blown

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

So, you're saying he's about one-fourth as good as Wilt......

Bryce Landon 1 year, 6 months ago

Just like Xavier Henry and Josh Selby? I'm skeptical.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

A private ceremony at his school with his family and a select few on the guest list. My money is on FSU. Seems like a family reunion. We all know were his mother and father went. Amazing how much energy and time has been wasted on this young man making up his mind. I am guilty of this. Checking each day to see if he has made up his mind. Hoping and praying that he chooses the Jayhawks. Either way the young man can't go wrong with the four schools on his final list. My hopes of the Jayhawks landing him aren't real high. Wonder if the McLemore situation these last few weeks scare Wiggins or Self away from one another. Just a thought.

hawksince51 1 year, 6 months ago

I am not a fan of OADs based on our experience with Henry and Selby whose contributions were modest. And they robbed minutes from other players who might have made bigger contributions over their careers. I also resent the NBA not allowing high school grads to go directly to the NBA for their own selfish reasons thus creating this unfortunate situation for college teams. McLemore had to stay an extra year and was able to contribute probably as a result of an extra year of practice with the team and system. I will not go into the current controversy surrounding Ben other than to say this sort of thing has a higher risk with OADs. So, my first choice is that Wiggins goes to FSU. KU has a very good recruiting class to go with the returning players and one very likely OAD is enough. However, if he does not go to FSU I prefer he choose KU over UK and UNC for obvious reasons. And I do think it would be a mistake for Wiggins to go to UK thus giving them the top rated recruit in all 5 positions. How can that be a smart thing to do so far as showcasing his talents to the NBA . I am glad he is not doing the cap press conference thing because I do not think his decision about where he plays one year of ball is that big of a deal.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Now, back to present day, May/2013.

Nearly all posters here were sympathetic, empathetic, and generally good natured in wishing Peters the best when he exited. All premised on him needing to get healthy. But now, I guess it turns my stomach a bit when we can now more easily conclude that it wasn't injuries that caused him to leave. To be blunt, a load of crap is what that story was.

The logic of "why not get healthy at KU" makes even more sense. Great medical staff. Great team. All things seemed good. But they weren't.

Does it now surprise anyone to know that Tucson AZ is twice the driving distance from Plano TX than Lawrence KS is? Heck, I at least thought he'd go somewhere closer to home. I at least gave him that benefit of the doubt there. But he goes to Arizona.

Remember, the "story" on why he was sitting out early on was his shoulder, right? Not concussions. The shoulder. Note that the shoulder was not mentioned in this story, or the one a few weeks ago. Not a word. And of course, with the concussion issues as they were, he was still able to finish his classes at KU without an issue, right?

But ok .. no doubt that he had concussions. No doubt, that it was too risky to play at the time. No doubt, that he needed to get healthy. (I'll be honest with you .. a small part of me now skeptical on the claimed severity of the concussions -- I wasn't before, but I am now).

Regardless, I'm very comfortable in saying that there is now no doubt that the concussions were not the reason he left KU.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Wonder if his opinion of KU lead Randle to uk?

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

Randle was always a big Kentucky favorite. Harrison twins said they knew Randle was going to UK before they committed which was back in early October 2012.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 6 months ago

HEM urspot on. cleveland, u r spot on. I don't care what anyone says, Peters problems at K.U. are exactly why Randle went to Kentucky. If Peters had been on good terms at K.U., his great friend Randle would have come to Kansas, and Peters would still be here. We will never know the story, unless Peters tells it some day.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

I thought Randle and Peters were not friends just teammates.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

In my opinion, he never would have been a star at KU. People on here are always talking about how Bill takes bums and turns them into lottery picks, a bit of an exaggeration if you ask me. I love when people reference T-Rob, lol Robinson was an ESPN100 and rated at 93/100 coming out of high school. Not exactly a bum... is it so shocking that he was drafted?

What Bill does is recruit generally and relatively very highly recruited players and develops them nicely. Peters would have been a nice piece, especially with a big body like his but he wasn't that skilled compared to other people in his class and lacked aggressiveness badly.

It would have been nice if he stayed because like I said he is a nice piece but sheesh, from a program standpoint it's not that big of a deal. He could probably play the 4 or 5 and we have Perry, Embiid, Lucas and Traylor all battling for precious minutes, how many PFs do we want on this team?

I agree though that it is a little shocking that he is headed to Arizona. Can't wait to hear what the AZ trolls have to say about this one...

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm with ya. I don't care where a kid goes, but why all the bs?

Lash 1 year, 6 months ago

The kid wanted to come to KU since 8th grade or soph, whatever. That excited me. He played well in Europe, I thought. Then the concussion issues, BS or secrets. Self says we wish him well. More and more kept out of the loop. Injuries are secrets, poor characters at times and possible violations on a one and done. So lets increase ticket prices! Hanging the flag at half mast...

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

By the way, when is Bill going to negotiate a formal exchange program with stumpy and we can swap bigs every few years?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

He may not have been looking to go to Arizona all along though. Might've noticed that there was going to be an opening once Chol decided to transfer out.

Larry Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

Peters left because of concussions. The conspiracy theorists can relax. When Zach left KU, it was because of multiple concussions and post concussion syndrome. It was a serious issue and the KU staff, Zach as well as his father were under the impression that even if he did recover, there was no way he SHOULD play basketball again. His style is very conduve to this being a recurring theme. He had even been wearing a protective helmet in practice because of it. Coach Self and his staff were not going to be a part of putting a kid in harms way, so the decision was made. Now, if Zack wanted to stay at KU as a student, KU and coach Self were going to honor the scholorship. It was Zach and his family's decision to leave, go back home and get healthy there. Now that he is healthy, he has reevaluated and wants to give it another go.

Benz Junque 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed. I think Peters leaving KU was simply an overreaction by him and his parents to multiple concussions. Concussions were HUGE in the news at that time. Once he saw that things cleared up and he felt fine, he probably got the bug to play again.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

"an overreaction by him and his parents to multiple concussions"

Please tell me you're not a doctor... http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jan/28/science/sci-concussion28

JacquesMerde 1 year, 6 months ago

You are correct. No one knows if they are ever "cured". I think this kid is taking a real chance. If you have ever seen an EEG of a brain suffering multiple concussions you know that the small white spots are similar to strokes but not strokes because of the nearby damage.

DanR 1 year, 6 months ago

That's pretty much what I've heard too, J86. I think both the KU coaches and the Peter's family handled the entire thing with class.

I don't blame the kid for wanting to give it another shot, so if the AZ coaches, Zach, and his parents all think it's worth the risk, that's up to them. The jury is still out on how it will work out, but it's good to hear he left KU without permanent damage.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 6 months ago

there is a reason he chose Arizona. their coach is a jerk, as noted with the scandal with the officials this season. he also hates K.U.! we took Withey from them. you go to Arizona to get back at K.U. if u r Peters. there are things about certain situations that you don't know, 86, Also, it really doesn't matter where Peters is going to school, or what really happened, so let's all just move on, and enjoy the great team we will have next season. National Championship, he we come. PS: I predicted it in 08, and also last year, when we lost to Kentucky (I still think we would have won if we didn't start out so bad, which seemed to be the norm, then), and I am predicting us to win it all, again next season! it isn't just Wiggins, but all we have coming back, and coming in, and I bet we also get the kid from Memphis! That will make it our best recruiting class ever, if it isn't already there, and one of the best of any school, anywhere. Some of these kids are better than their rankings.

onegonzo 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's face it...the guy is defective in more ways than one...so let's let it go!

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

Lovely comment ~ it's too bad you didn't take your own advice ~ before you posted.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know why but I have never felt like Wiggins would come to KU. If he does that will be great but I won't be very surprised if he is playing outside of Lawrence. I truly thought we were going to land Randle though so you never know. Very pleased it will all be decided tomorrow and we can all move on.

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 6 months ago

Peters had a breakdown and left the team for several days.

Adam Evans 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm a little confused...peters was very complimentary, but transferred because of concussions? Almost like KU was the cause of those concussions. Stupid reason to transfer. I'm not mad or annoyed, just confused. Because concussions can happen at any school contrary to popular belief.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

My only comment is that the relatively dignified....aw, heck,. compared to many others....downright dignified way the Wiggins family is handling this announcement is more of a reflection of the Wiggins personna than a true indicator of which school Andrew is going to choose.

I feel all four schools are in play, but my gut places the order from most likely to least likely, Florida State, North Carolina, Kansas, UK. Just as likely, the reality maybe just the reverse order!!

Regarding Zach Peters, I hope it works out for him, no matter what really went down in Lawrence. For all the reasons so eloquently listed by the previous posters, it just wasn't meant to be.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

So his coach tweeted that he's going to announce, that bodes well for who exactly? The tweet mentioned eastern time zone, that means he's going to an eastern time zone school right?

He's gong to announce on the 14th, we've got 14 final four appearances, so man, that must mean he's coming here.

He wants no media involved, of course that's good for us since the east coast media ignores us.

His initials are AW, and we've already got one of those, so he may not want to come here after all.

In his picture he's not smiling which means he decided to go to Kentucky, but is already realizing it's a mistake.

Of course, he's going to North Carolina because he was drafted by the Bulls who of course employed another famous North Carolinian.

But in a surprise move the Topeka YMCA swoops in, he signs with them and he instantly gives credibility to that long forgotten about program.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

He is actually going to announce that he won't be attending school anywhere. Instead, he and Ricky Williams are going backpacking in Europe.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

I hadn't thought of that angle. Good point!

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

I cannot remember, but were teammates saddened by Peters departure?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if he was like "Debbie Downer" in those SNL Skits or something?

I know AW III WAS his roommate and then suddenly he's switched to being Tyler Self's roommate.

Makes you wonder if he was sickened of his griping about his situation or something.

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

Explanation given on roommate change from AW3 was that Tyle will have more direct line to HCBS and coaching stagg in case of any emotional/physical side effects issues caused by injuries.

DRsmith 1 year, 6 months ago

FSU without a doubt. KU didn't have much of a chance with their record with OADs. Too many stars already at UK. He doesn't want to risk losing his #1 Draft Pick slot to a guy like Randle.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 6 months ago

With that type of logic then why not just sit at home and play video games for a year?

702Hawk 1 year, 6 months ago

That probably isn't a bad idea. It work for Irving and some what for Noel and Oden. Play one or two games to get attention and then go down with a season ending injury so the press can talk about how great you could have been and keep the hype up. Let their title wave of ink push to the top of the draft.

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 6 months ago

My sources tell me Andrew Wiggins will be headed to Kansas. His mom wants him to go to Ku and his dad wants him to go to Florida State. Wiggins wants to go to Kansas as well.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Well...that makes a clean sweep for source information. Other " reliable sources" confirm he is headed to ... UNC, UK, FSU...and now you with Kansas. Regardless of what he does, Bill Self is a great coach. He will put a nationally competitive team on the court.

JacquesMerde 1 year, 6 months ago

I predict he will attend KU, UNC, UK, and FSU and after four years graduate from Mizzou. Anyone can hire a sub to attend classes there. Note I did not say attend college. After all it is Mizzou.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 6 months ago

Hahahahaha my sources? What kind of 'sources' do you have?

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 6 months ago

My sources are me and myself lol. I don't have a mean streak, just wanted to see what the reaction was. Just making fun of the fact how anybody can say he will attend there and be sure about it when no one knows anything hardcore about where he will go.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 6 months ago

A private signing, oh so humble. So why hold out to be the last to announce?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Because he's mysterious and humble and wants the whole world to know it.

johninkc1 1 year, 6 months ago

Hope we get Wiggins but not holding my breath. On another subject, I see where Peters is going to Arizona now. Why not back to KU or did he just use his injury to change teams?

Rolland Remmert 1 year, 6 months ago

Will they have time to set up the tents and bring in the elephants and clowns before the "soft" signing?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

The rumor I heard was that his concussion wasn't from the Labron James camp, it was from a big fight he had with one of his teammates in Jayhawk Towers and his leaving school, because of his "injury", was a way for everyone to save face.

I know it's only a rumor but the mysterious circumstances behind this whole thing would suggest that this scenario or something similar is at least possible. It would sure explain why he why he isn't taking the most logical choice and coming back to KU.

RockChalk26 1 year, 6 months ago

Hmmmm? Who is the other Fighting Jayhawk?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Most likely the guy who did the butt kicking...

DanR 1 year, 6 months ago

Why would the KU coaching staff need to save face for kicking off a guy for fighting? Good grief, people. Sometimes it just is what it is.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 6 months ago

Blackmild posted above he is going to UK. He is rarely, if ever, wrong. Save yourself the anticipation and anxiety!!

Krohnutz 1 year, 6 months ago

His reasonings for transferring to Arizona because of concussions make sense when you don't think about it.

DRsmith 1 year, 6 months ago

I have to admit I would love him to pick KU so we can revisit all these dumb comments on how we hate one and dones and how we don't need Wiggins. He will be labeled a savior on here tomorrow.

RockChalk26 1 year, 6 months ago

In regards to Peters, does the phrase, "Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk," apply?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

ummm..NO. This guy committed his sophomore year in HS, Left KU his freshman year after leaving mid-term to go to Arizona.

It's not even the time spent at KU that matters, I consider hard core fans Jayhawks. It's more about how he left..the secrecy, the lies(?), and that absence of full disclosure.

Some will disagree, probably those who will say it's not our business (reasonable) but hopefully more will agree.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

It was great seeing DA getting some effective PT w/the Grizzlys. He has had a really rough time w/serious injuries.

Watching Rose (medically cleared to play) sit out at Chi Town has made me reprise my opinion of him.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm less "on pins and needles" regarding 1 years of Andrew Wiggins than I am one year of Tyus Jones or 3-4 years of Jordan McLauglin or PREFERRABLY Josh Perkins.

My dream twosome would be Jo. Perkins & Cl. Alexander. Cliff Alexander's sounding VERY MUCH like UK or MSU though.

Some were talking about Tyus Jones / J. Okafor pkg., but it's sounding less likely now.

Supposedly, we REALLY made an impression on Okafor in our home visit.

I'd be plenty happy with McLaughlin or Perkins w/ Okafor for the two '14 recruits we'd be able to bring in.

If not that I still want a PG, but the other could be any other position really. I've heard some hopes for us for Kelly Oubre or Maliik Pope.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

Okafor just recently said he is 99.9% sure he and Tyus Jones will be going to the same school - probably Duke or Michigan State.

Kenny Terry 1 year, 6 months ago

The check from calipari must have cleared so he is ready to sign..

msezdsit 1 year, 6 months ago

He will mock two or three of the other highly respectable programs and then put his Kentucky hat on. Just like his future teammate randle did. It is very disrespectful to the other schools and that is all they will get from this kid. All the pub and dreaming just adds to that.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Wiggins will be the most valuable at UNC. If he goes to UK they will probably win the ship, but he won't make as much as an impact. If he goes to FSU, he won't come close to a ship, but play in a good conference against top notch talent to prove he is who he is and also have a chance to be a leader. If he goes to KU, he will help us win ANOTHER Big 12 title, and have a legitimate shot at the ship, but lack the big time exposure he would get from an ACC/SEC/or Big East school. And finally, if he goes to UNC, he will play in the toughest conference in the nation, against the best talent, while getting the glorified east coast publicity. Roy needs him more than any other coach, which is why I feel he has tried to hardest in recruiting him. I hope Roy does get him, because it would be nice to see UNC good again. This is what could regain Roy's composure.

As far as where I think he's going, I would have to say UK or FSU. It's going to be one of the extremes. Either he wants a ship or he wants to follow mommy and daddy's footsteps and be a stand out leader on a lack luster roster. KU and UNC fit in the middle, and lets face it, the middle isn't where a star wants to be seen. For us this will work out in the end and we will land the memphis transfer which is all we need to have a shot at the Big 12 title and possibly the ship next year. Nothing but optimism for me regardless of where Wiggins goes! RCJH!

ejayhawk789 1 year, 6 months ago

There is some buzz online pointing towards Kansas. Not trying to get everyone's hopes up, just saying...

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 6 months ago

Where at online? Any specific articles? I'm interested to read them if there are. Thanks and hopefully you're right!

ejayhawk789 1 year, 6 months ago

Twitter mostly. Some in the media have been switching their pick to Kansas. Nobody is sure though, and it seems to be based completely on what others are saying as opposed to definite inside info. Unfortunately, we probably won't know anything until he signs tomorrow.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, this kid gets more ink than Gov Brownback and Pesident Obama!!

We have here a high school kid that can bounce a ball and throw it though a hoop.

In high school.

That's all he does.

But you would think that his presence is parallel to the Second Coming.

How many of these one year wonders have worked out at KU??

Look at what you are doing and think it over, is this REALLY important????