Sunday, May 12, 2013

Basketball notebook: KU’s Sadler mentioned for job at ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, peeks around assistant coach Doc Sadler during practice for a second-round game in the NCAA basketball tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., Thursday, March 21, 2013. Kansas is scheduled to play Western Kentucky on Friday.

Kansas University director of basketball operations Doc Sadler has been mentioned as a possible candidate for a full-time assistant coach opening on Iowa State’s staff. ISU is seeking an assistant to replace T.J. Otzelberger, who last week was hired as an assistant at the University of Washington after eight seasons in Ames, Iowa.

“Keep an eye on Doc Sadler, who landed as Kansas’ director of operations after head coaching stints at Nebraska and Texas-El Paso,” Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register wrote last week speculating about the Cyclone opening. “In eight head coaching seasons, his teams combined for a 149-107 record. He knows strategy.”

On Saturday, Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com tweeted: “Don’t be surprised if former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler lands at Iowa State on Fred Hoiberg’s staff.”

Asked Saturday about the report linking Sadler to ISU, KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World: “Doc and Fred are close friends. It would not surprise me at all if they visited about a vacant assistant position.”

Self said in a recent media teleconference he would fill his own assistant coaching position (which opened when Joe Dooley headed to Florida Gulf Coast) from the outside, meaning Sadler is not a candidate.

“Doc and I have visited ... I do know this, I really, really, really enjoyed having him around. He probably has to do more than what he’s done for us, to be honest with you,” he said of Sadler’s need to coach. “He was a big asset to us in that position. He wants to coach, so we’ll see how that plays out.”

Self had no further comment on KU’s coaching opening Saturday. Self has only said that he normally has individuals in mind in case openings occur.

Fresh jerseys

Three of KU’s incoming basketball freshmen have revealed their jersey numbers.

Conner Frankamp, 6-0 guard, Wichita North, has landed No. 23; Frank Mason, a 5-11 guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va., No. 0 (zero) and Brannen Greene, 6-7 forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga., No. 14. Wayne Selden, 6-5 guard, Tilton (N.H.) School and Joel Embiid, 7-foot, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla., said they have not finalized numbers yet.

Pierce's future in air

Former KU forward Paul Pierce, who has played his entire 15-year NBA career with the Boston Celtics, may or may not be back in Beantown next season. He has a team option for next season at $15.3 million, with a $5 million buyout before June 30.

“Listen, Paul’s been one of the greatest Celtics of all-time and that will play a part in it,” Celtics GM Danny Ainge said on WEEI radio’s Salk and Holley Show. “We love what he’s done for us, but ultimately we have to do what we think is the best for us from this point forward, and I think Paul still has a lot of basketball left in him.”

“I’ve been thinking that the last three years (that this might be last year in Boston),” Pierce told the Boston Globe. “Nothing’s changed. I’ve had a sense of urgency (to win) since my first year in the league.”

Oubre update

Kelly Oubre, a 6-5 junior from Bush High in Fort Bend, Texas, tells ESPN.com that UConn and Arizona are recruiting him the most heavily. Rivals.com’s No. 27-rated player in the Class of 2014 also has KU, UCLA, Georgetown, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Baylor and Alabama on his list. ESPN says KU, Zona and Baylor have visited him and Oubre has made an unofficial visit to Texas.

Good luck to recruit

Superstitious coaches might want to recruit Wilbraham and Monson (Mass.) junior center Goodluck Okonoboh, who is ranked No. 34 nationally in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com. Syracuse and Indiana may be leading for Goodluck, who does not have KU on his current list.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 2 months ago

Well if they wanted my advice, for free no less, I'd vote for keeping Paul Pierce in Bahhhh-ston for the rest of his amazing career.

As for Doc, I guess it would be a move up in responsibility and future opportunity for him to join the Mayor's staff, but is there any downside to having him on the bench in Ames next winter??? I hope not, as Hilton can be pretty dicy as is....

Rock Chalk, Summer Hawks!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 2 months ago

It sounds like he wants to get back to being a head coach somewhere. So the downside is his tenure might be short. Possibly very short. As a recruiter, every kid would wonder how long he'll be around.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

My thought is that all the turnover on the KU staff will not help him be familiar with the players, though I think Fred Hoiberg has had plenty of experience trying to plan already for HCBS's style. So no, I am not worried at what he might do for them.

dylans 1 year, 2 months ago

I heard Fred was going to hire the booster who accosted Bill after the game. This way he has an intimating presence on the bench. Any advantage over KU is a welcome one in Ames.

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

Watched Oubre play at the EYBL in Frisco (Dallas) Friday and Saturday.

The kid has grown - he is taller than 6-5 - and he has gained weight and muscle. He is one athletic young man who is a tenatious defender and rebounds. His outside shots were not falling consistently, so he was putting the ball on the floor, driving, and getting to the stripe. He is a warrior!

How he would fit on a squad with Andrew White and Brannen Greene...I dunno.

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't understand going from an assistant at KU to an assistant at ISU.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

He's not a KU assistant, he's Director of Basketball operations and in theory I believe that means he's not technically allowed to actually coach, recruit, etc.

My guess is that Bill is probably looking for a young east coast recruiting guru type to fill Dooley's position.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

he doesn't have to be young, just a great recruiter, who can also work well with the kids. He also might be looking for someone who can recruit California. But I'm still wondering if Wiggins dad is in the mix. He definitely knows basketball, and he might not just be a one and done, like his son. He may want a coaching career! GB, having Doc on the bench at ISU won't affect K.U. at all. People scout every team, but you still can't be sure what they are going to do, and even if you know what they are going to do, you still have to stop them. We will be a top 5 team next season, even if we don't get Wiggins. Once we play together, and the young kids learn how to play Major College Defense, Bill Self Style, look out. Mark my words on that!

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

TB, I hope you are right about the top 5 comment, but I think that is a bit aggressive. I see us as a top 15, maybe higher if some of the freshmen (besides Selden) really take off. The only proven performers are Ellis and Tharpe and they will have to now be consistent (and I think they will). Too many unproven player, in my opinion, to be thinking that we are a NC contender. We will see though....

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Wasn't D. Manning Director of Basketball operations at some point early in his coaching career at KU?

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes. When he first joined the staff. Then moved into the assistant position.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Bill Self should be looking for an assistant in his late 30's-early 40's who has strong recruiting ties in Texas. Norm Roberts has east coast and and Florida connections, Kurtis Townsend has Great Lakes region and West Coast ties. That leaves Texas as the largest recruiting pool KU doesn't have an assistant with major ties in. I still think former Texas Tech interim coach Chris Walker would be a good candidate because of his time at Tech and he has the bonus of strong Philadelphia ties having played and coached at Villanova. Self knows what he's looking for in a coach more than any of us do and will hire someone who will be a good fit and fill what Bill Self perceives to be the biggest need for his staff.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Billy G for Texas recruiting.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

No, he is way too unstable to be a legitimate candidate for a high level assistant job.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

Wonder if this is a sign that Bill and Doc don't see eye-to-eye on too many things???

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I suspect they get along great. It almost seemed to me that Bill interacted more with Doc during games this year than with his other assistants. I just think it comes down to the importance of recruiting, and that has never been Doc's strength. If it had been, he would probably still be the head coach at Nebraska.

ranger3nbc 1 year, 2 months ago

I would like to see Pierce retire as a Celtic. Since we have an opening, bring Pierce to Kansas to learn the ropes and then start him on his coaching career. I don't like to see players continue to play when they are past their prime. I love Paul Pierce but Boston is about to go thru a major overhaul.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

With all Paul's money, he could probably buy his own NBA team and coach it.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 2 months ago

TOTALLY lost on the superstitous recruit comment. We aren't even in the mix so why bring it up? Very weird.

jahocs 1 year, 2 months ago

"Superstitious coaches might want to recruit Wilbraham and Monson (Mass.) junior center Goodluck Okonoboh". I assume the "superstitious" comment reflected that coaches would want good luck by signing Goodluck Okonoboh.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks jahocs..I totally missed it also.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Caption for the picture above: "Sadler does not appear amused after Self joked, 'Hey, we have a coaching job opening up ... but you ain't gettin' it.' "

They didn't show the next picture, with the following caption: "Self does not appear amused when Sadler replies, 'Fine, I'm going to ISU, and I have your playbook.' "

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

They still have to be able to stop us. So far, they haven't shown that ability to close games out, though they've come very, very close. Watching with a bunch of ISU fans that last game in Ames, while we as KU fans never quit, when they failed towards the end of regulation to win, they gave up hope for the end of the game and OT. I was amazed that they felt their team couldn't win at that point - I hope they don't get that final confidence, as they'd be very tough if they did.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

It would be pretty classless on Sadler's part to take a job in the conference. Regardless of the situation on our staff - he should show some respect and take something somewhere else.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Doc Sadler was a head coach in the Big 12 prior to coming to KU. It's absolutely not classless to take an assistant coaching job within a league you have plenty of knowledge and comfort with. Taking an assistant coaching job at ISU is a step up from being the director of basketball operations at KU no matter how anyone tries to spin it. By your logic, it was classless of Mark Mangino to accept the KU coaching job because his job prior to KU was an assistant coach at a school within the conference.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 2 months ago

I actually think it has more to do with Doc wanting to be a head coach and not an assistant. And at ISU, there is the possibility the Mayor moves on leaving the possibility Doc could get the HC position. Just my thoughts though I do know Doc wants to be a HC again and can't blame him. He wants to run his own program and I believe Coach Self has said as much.

bradynsdad 1 year, 2 months ago

So Zach Peters commits to Arizona? Must have been much more to that story than concussions. Otherwise why wouldn't Self try to get him back?

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

Cause the reason we went after Peters was to connect dots to Randle.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

More to the story? Of course there was.

86Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

To LJW Why would KU release Zach Peters just to see him go play at Zona? Bad chemistry with HCBS or didn't like the school? Please let us know

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

I have always wondered the same thing. If things were OK, other than the health issues, why leave in the first place, or why not come back when he regained his health?

Bert White 1 year, 2 months ago

My personal theory has been because of the concussions he was having trouble in class, which I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere as a quote from Zach around the time that he left. Between the fact that he couldn't get cleared to play/practice and he was having issues in class which likely was affecting his grades one of two things happened;

1) Zach got frustrated and basically went to Coach Self and gave up and asked for a release so he could go back to be with his family as he worked through his medical situation

or

2) Coach Self saw Zach not able to help the team on the court or in practice because of his inability to get medical clearance and he was hurting the team by dragging down the overall team GPA with his class work (or getting such low scores his scholly eligibility was in jeopardy) so he threatened to pull the scholly

I'm leaning towards a blend of both. Zach likely brought it up and Coach Self mentioned transferring closer to his family to get healthy which should be his number one priority would be a good idea.

As for not coming back to KU I don't know the reasoning and remember him being PC at the time of leaving saying he enjoyed the school, team, staff, ect... and thanked them. But I hadn't even heard of KU even offering for him to return so it could be some yellow tape I don't know about to get a player to return to a Big XII school (there's a chance he'd have to sit out another year if the NCAA doesn't grant a medical waiver for UA so that could be the case if he came back to KU to?), the team could be worried about future concussions, recruited over him, ect...If it's his decision, no return offer, wanted to start fresh elsewhere, didn't like the team/staff, or something else

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Wiggins to announce Tuesday .. finally. Now we can move past this useless drama.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

Sadler would leave one of the all-time great programs in college basketball to become an assistant coach for a program full of punks and thugs with a shady coach and a fanbase that is nothing but poor white trash? If Sadler takes this job, all my respect for him goes out the window.