Sunday, May 12, 2013

Basketball notebook: KU’s Sadler mentioned for job at ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, peeks around assistant coach Doc Sadler during practice for a second-round game in the NCAA basketball tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., Thursday, March 21, 2013. Kansas is scheduled to play Western Kentucky on Friday.

Kansas University director of basketball operations Doc Sadler has been mentioned as a possible candidate for a full-time assistant coach opening on Iowa State’s staff. ISU is seeking an assistant to replace T.J. Otzelberger, who last week was hired as an assistant at the University of Washington after eight seasons in Ames, Iowa.

“Keep an eye on Doc Sadler, who landed as Kansas’ director of operations after head coaching stints at Nebraska and Texas-El Paso,” Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register wrote last week speculating about the Cyclone opening. “In eight head coaching seasons, his teams combined for a 149-107 record. He knows strategy.”

On Saturday, Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com tweeted: “Don’t be surprised if former Nebraska coach Doc Sadler lands at Iowa State on Fred Hoiberg’s staff.”

Asked Saturday about the report linking Sadler to ISU, KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World: “Doc and Fred are close friends. It would not surprise me at all if they visited about a vacant assistant position.”

Self said in a recent media teleconference he would fill his own assistant coaching position (which opened when Joe Dooley headed to Florida Gulf Coast) from the outside, meaning Sadler is not a candidate.

“Doc and I have visited ... I do know this, I really, really, really enjoyed having him around. He probably has to do more than what he’s done for us, to be honest with you,” he said of Sadler’s need to coach. “He was a big asset to us in that position. He wants to coach, so we’ll see how that plays out.”

Self had no further comment on KU’s coaching opening Saturday. Self has only said that he normally has individuals in mind in case openings occur.

Fresh jerseys

Three of KU’s incoming basketball freshmen have revealed their jersey numbers.

Conner Frankamp, 6-0 guard, Wichita North, has landed No. 23; Frank Mason, a 5-11 guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va., No. 0 (zero) and Brannen Greene, 6-7 forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga., No. 14. Wayne Selden, 6-5 guard, Tilton (N.H.) School and Joel Embiid, 7-foot, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla., said they have not finalized numbers yet.

Pierce's future in air

Former KU forward Paul Pierce, who has played his entire 15-year NBA career with the Boston Celtics, may or may not be back in Beantown next season. He has a team option for next season at $15.3 million, with a $5 million buyout before June 30.

“Listen, Paul’s been one of the greatest Celtics of all-time and that will play a part in it,” Celtics GM Danny Ainge said on WEEI radio’s Salk and Holley Show. “We love what he’s done for us, but ultimately we have to do what we think is the best for us from this point forward, and I think Paul still has a lot of basketball left in him.”

“I’ve been thinking that the last three years (that this might be last year in Boston),” Pierce told the Boston Globe. “Nothing’s changed. I’ve had a sense of urgency (to win) since my first year in the league.”

Oubre update

Kelly Oubre, a 6-5 junior from Bush High in Fort Bend, Texas, tells ESPN.com that UConn and Arizona are recruiting him the most heavily. Rivals.com’s No. 27-rated player in the Class of 2014 also has KU, UCLA, Georgetown, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Baylor and Alabama on his list. ESPN says KU, Zona and Baylor have visited him and Oubre has made an unofficial visit to Texas.

Good luck to recruit

Superstitious coaches might want to recruit Wilbraham and Monson (Mass.) junior center Goodluck Okonoboh, who is ranked No. 34 nationally in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com. Syracuse and Indiana may be leading for Goodluck, who does not have KU on his current list.

Comments

Bryce Landon 11 months, 1 week ago

Sadler would leave one of the all-time great programs in college basketball to become an assistant coach for a program full of punks and thugs with a shady coach and a fanbase that is nothing but poor white trash? If Sadler takes this job, all my respect for him goes out the window.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

Wiggins to announce Tuesday .. finally. Now we can move past this useless drama.

86Jayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

To LJW Why would KU release Zach Peters just to see him go play at Zona? Bad chemistry with HCBS or didn't like the school? Please let us know

bradynsdad 11 months, 1 week ago

So Zach Peters commits to Arizona? Must have been much more to that story than concussions. Otherwise why wouldn't Self try to get him back?

Danny Hernandez 11 months, 1 week ago

I actually think it has more to do with Doc wanting to be a head coach and not an assistant. And at ISU, there is the possibility the Mayor moves on leaving the possibility Doc could get the HC position. Just my thoughts though I do know Doc wants to be a HC again and can't blame him. He wants to run his own program and I believe Coach Self has said as much.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

It would be pretty classless on Sadler's part to take a job in the conference. Regardless of the situation on our staff - he should show some respect and take something somewhere else.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

Caption for the picture above: "Sadler does not appear amused after Self joked, 'Hey, we have a coaching job opening up ... but you ain't gettin' it.' "

They didn't show the next picture, with the following caption: "Self does not appear amused when Sadler replies, 'Fine, I'm going to ISU, and I have your playbook.' "

KEITHMILES05 11 months, 1 week ago

TOTALLY lost on the superstitous recruit comment. We aren't even in the mix so why bring it up? Very weird.

ranger3nbc 11 months, 1 week ago

I would like to see Pierce retire as a Celtic. Since we have an opening, bring Pierce to Kansas to learn the ropes and then start him on his coaching career. I don't like to see players continue to play when they are past their prime. I love Paul Pierce but Boston is about to go thru a major overhaul.

Boouk 11 months, 1 week ago

I don't understand going from an assistant at KU to an assistant at ISU.

Robert Brock 11 months, 1 week ago

Watched Oubre play at the EYBL in Frisco (Dallas) Friday and Saturday.

The kid has grown - he is taller than 6-5 - and he has gained weight and muscle. He is one athletic young man who is a tenatious defender and rebounds. His outside shots were not falling consistently, so he was putting the ball on the floor, driving, and getting to the stripe. He is a warrior!

How he would fit on a squad with Andrew White and Brannen Greene...I dunno.

Janet Scott 11 months, 1 week ago

"Keep an eye on Santa Claus, who might show up any day in Ames to look at ISUs open assistant coaching job, even though it isn't late December", states a prominent Iowa newspaper. I read that ISU is thinking about making this open position a "fantasy coaching position", limited to fantasy basketball campers over 40, who have been to at least 3 fantasy bball camps, college or pro; and who believe in Snow White, Yogi Bear, and the Easter Bunny.

Scott MacWilliams 11 months, 1 week ago

Well if they wanted my advice, for free no less, I'd vote for keeping Paul Pierce in Bahhhh-ston for the rest of his amazing career.

As for Doc, I guess it would be a move up in responsibility and future opportunity for him to join the Mayor's staff, but is there any downside to having him on the bench in Ames next winter??? I hope not, as Hilton can be pretty dicy as is....

Rock Chalk, Summer Hawks!