Thursday, May 9, 2013

Former Jayhawk Michael Lee looking for work

KU senior Michael Lee takes his turn at the microphone during the 2005 awards banquet.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Michael Lee is seeking a new assistant-coaching position after working the past three seasons at University of San Francisco and two before that at Gardner-Webb.

The ever-enthusiastic 30-year-old Portland, Ore., native — who played for both Bill Self and Roy Williams at KU and worked as graduate student assistant on Self’s 2008 NCAA-title-team staff — believes he brings much to the table.

“I coach the same way I played. I want to win. I really do want to win,” said Lee, who resigned his position at USF after this past season (15-16) to pursue other opportunities. “I have great respect for the process. It’s what I try to impart to the guys I’ve been able to coach.

“Winning is not a fluke. You have to be coachable. It’s a team game, so you have to be a teammate. All that stuff impacts your ability to play,” he added. “I try to stress that stuff. I have the highest passion for basketball. If I was not getting paid, I’d still be doing it.”

Fifth-year San Francisco coach/former KU guard Rex Walters said Lee did a “great job” in his three seasons in the Bay Area.

“The guys love him. They miss him. It (his leaving) wasn’t easy for them. It says something about Mike,” Walters said. “He’s a tireless worker, passionate about the game. I’d come back (to office) at 9 or 10 o’clock (at night), and if a guy wanted to get up shots, Mike would be there to open up the gym for them.

“He’s great on the floor, really smart, a hard worker,” Walters added, explaining, “day to day he wanted to pursue some different things. We support him on it and want nothing but the best for him. I’ve known Mike a long time. I want him to be happy doing what he loves to do.”

Lee said he has spoken with Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend, coaches at North Carolina as well as other contacts he’s made for advice in pursuing another job.

“It’s been great at USF,” Lee said. “I think there’s a better fit somewhere for me. Between my wife and I, we’ve got three kids, so I’m just trying to find the right situation. I’ve been on the phone with some guys trying to figure out where I can get on.

“This was a great experience working under Rex. Rex being a pro (former NBA player), he knows the language. He understands the game. He understands the business of it. He’s very hands-on, big on putting practices together. To sit in meetings and watch him draw different sets and wrinkles was definitely a great learning experience.”

As was recruiting the great state of California, Lee said

“I established myself as a better recruiter on the West Coast,” Lee said. “There are tons and tons of players in Northern California, Southern California. I was able to make good contacts in that way.

“When you can say you’ve recruited in California, that makes a huge difference.”

Lee said he finds it hard to believe this year marked the 10-year anniversary of KU’s NCAA title loss to Syracuse — 81-78 on April 7, 2003 in New Orleans.

“It’s scary. When I hear that, I say, ‘Time is really passing,’” Lee said. “It’s really been a whole decade since that game. It still feels like yesterday.

"The bond is still tight,” he added of a team led by seniors Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich. It’s the year Lee, Keith Langford, Aaron Miles and Wayne Simien were sophomores.

“I still talk to Wayne. Me and Miles talk almost every day. I talk to Jeff Hawkins a lot. When Chicago played Golden State, I went by the hotel and saw Kirk (Chicago Bulls) He got me tickets and I brought my daughter to the game. I’ve still got Collison’s number. The respect is there.”

Agents: Former KU guard Travis Releford has chosen Justin Zanik of ASM Sports as his pro representation, Releford said Wednesday. Elijah Johnson said recently he selected Andy Miller of ASM Sports, while Jeff Withey tapped Darren Matsubara of Wasserman Media Group. Ben McLemore has not yet revealed his choice of agent.

Tarik Black update: Former Memphis center Tarik Black visited Oregon Tuesday and will visit KU, Georgetown and Duke before choosing a transfer destination, ESPN reports. He will be immediately eligible as a senior next season.

Comments

Gavin Fritton 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish Mike nothing bot the best, but something doesn't ring exactly true here. He wants to stay in coaching but he resigned his coaching gig to go look for another coaching gig? And he was really popular at his last coaching gig with his head coach and his players? Why didn't USF try to persuade him to stay if things were that great? And, more to the point, why did he quit when he has a wife and kids and wants to stay in the field? I'm not a coach so maybe the rules are different on coaching than in "real world" jobs, but this just seems odd to me.

79ictjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

My guess: "I want to win. I really do want to win,” said Lee, who resigned his position at USF after this past season (15-16).

dylans 8 years, 4 months ago

My question is, "Why did he quit this job before finding another?" Morality? Loyalty to USF? Hated everything about the job?

It seems like most coaches or assistant coaches have another job in place, are offered another job, retire, or are fired when they leave a program. We may never know Mike's full (hopefully pure) motivations .

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

Price of housing and city/state taxes maybe? California sucks!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 4 months ago

Doubt you will find better. Maybe he doesn't want his kids to find out for themselves.

Gavin Fritton 8 years, 4 months ago

I dunno. Maybe.

"I want to win" doesn't seem like a good reason to quit. It sounds like he's expressing doubt that his current head coach can win at his current job. I also have doubts that a winning program is going to hire a largely unproven assistant from a smaller program still finding its way. I mean, why would a school like KU take a guy like Mike Lee from a small school that had a losing record last season? The only reason would be because Mike is a KU alum and I'm pretty sure he won't be joining the Jayhawks' staff. So why would another school, one where he isn't an alum, bring him on board with his current profile?

As for the money, again, maybe. Living in San Francisco is very expensive, no doubt. But I have to think living with a low(ish)-payong job in San Francisco is still easier than living without a job at all in a cheaper place.

My guess, and it's just a guess (not even an educated one) is that he was let go and that Rex agreed to let him call it a resignation. I just don't see quitting a job in your field to go find a new job in the same field. I hope I'm wrong and I hope good things happen for Mike and his family, but this story just doesn't sound right.

okiedave 8 years, 4 months ago

gavineq -- your last guess is the only one that makes perfect sense. When a program is struggling, the head coach wants to point fingers at others in order to buy another couple of years. Therefore, the assistant coaches get chopped. The fact that Lee was allowed to resign shows there was no bad blood created by Lee.

wrwlumpy 8 years, 4 months ago

Could it be that his approach to shooting jump shots slowly didn't catch on. Warwick blocks his shot coming from 20 feet away. Can't blame Kirk for throwing it to someone so wide open.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 4 months ago

gavinesq..Exactly what I was thinking but then I started thinking about him, his wife and his kids. Personally, I love going to San Francisco but I'm not sure I would want to have raised my daughter out there.

Yes, I know that you can find just about anything just about anywhere but it is a hell of a lot easier to find the best marijuana grown anywhere inside San Francisco. Maybe, when I was younger, I would not have differently..

Obviously just guessing, but I wouldn't mind seeing him as an assistant but not until all the cards have been put on the table.

Patrickulating 8 years, 4 months ago

A little off topic, but does anyone know who has more NCAA Basketball Tournament Championships, USF or Missouri?

Dirk Medema 8 years, 4 months ago

"Between my wife and I, we’ve got three kids, so I’m just trying to find the right situation."

Not sure where he was living, but SF could be a tough place to raise a family or commute to if you weren't living in the City. SF is also a fairly unique cultural experience, that could be difficult to raise kids in if you were choosing more traditional values r your family.

My guess is that he has made enough money, and established his professionalism enough, to be able to choose where he wants to continue being successful.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

He’s from Portland so I don’t think he’s seeking anything TOO traditional. I’m thinking the SF setting isn’t why he’s looking. He’s looking for a winning program and a step up in his career.

The family stuff, of course, is equally important when finding a new landing spot, but raising a family in SF is a luxury not a concern. IMHO.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 4 months ago

He didn't choose to grow up in Portland. Now he gets to choose. SF is wonderful, and a luxury for some, but not if you are trying to raise a fmily with traditional values. And there are tons of factors involved in this beyond the guy on the street corner with the multi-colored spiked hair kissing his boyfriend that aren't necessarily visible from the more conservative locales to the east.

Jason Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Not to mention its probably hard to raise a family there on a small-school assistant coaches salary

Brad Farha 8 years, 4 months ago

Exactly -- the cost of living is so high there, I don't know how you could raise 3 kids on that salary.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, why did he take the position in the first place then? I’m sure he priced real estate and had many conversations with Rex about the city life before he accepted.

I just feel like he’s hit a wall at SF. They completely bombed last year. He’s a smart kid with serious coaching plans and you can’t be hanging around a .500 team very long if you wanna advance.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 4 months ago

Tough guy, stoic, & business like when he played. He could learn a lot from HCBS & I definitely would like to see a veteran join the staff. As you said, Frisco is a different place for a family. Out there, so to speak. Too many G-y sombreros for me. Just sayin...

Marc Frey 8 years, 4 months ago

There is a saying,"You don't hop off a lillypad until you have one to land on." Works for jobs and dating.

ccarp 8 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes you gotta swim. Can't get too far standing on a lilypad.

John Strayer 8 years, 4 months ago

While you gotta swim sometimes...you also gotta have a direction to swim. You still get nowhere if your just swimming for the sake of swimming.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

FROGGER.....now THAT'S what I call a video game!!!

ku_foaf 8 years, 4 months ago

Dating? Sorry, that is called "using." Seen it done many times.

Jobs? I agree.

hawk316 8 years, 4 months ago

And then there's this great quote which reminds us that life is an adventure which entails some risk...

"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."

--Andre Gide

Mike Barnhart 8 years, 4 months ago

Michael seemed like a kind hearted guy. Rex is a hot headed AH! Maybe Mike needs new surroundings, NOT Lawrence though, we need a recruiter.

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 4 months ago

This was my first thought too. Maybe Mike didn't have a very good relationship with Rex Walters. Rex Walters complimented Mike on his way out of the program to help him find a new job somewhere for a better fit. It's not uncommon that the bosses style and the employee's style just dont' work well together. Ther may be nothing personal, but for whatever reason you just never can get on the same page with expectations and priorities etc.

My guess is that it's partly what dagger said and partly because he and the HC didn't always agree on what were the most important aspects of his job.

Jaminrawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Weird article. Reads like a LinkedIn profile or something. Does he think coaches looking for assistants peruse this site?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like he knows there's an opening at Kansas...hint, hint!!!

Ryan Zimmerman 8 years, 4 months ago

Ha- exactly what I was thinking. Is this Monster.com?

REHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Good luck to you, Michael. Unless you have landed some topquality CA area recruits, or have established a relationship with future outstanding high school players, you might not yet be ready for the likes of a position at KU or UNC. But you possess the solid background and steady disposition which someday might lead you back home to Lawrence, once you are more soundly established. You were a vital part of exciting Jayhawk basketball during your five years in this winning program. I would imagine that you are on Bill Self's shortlist of future Jayhawk assistants. At this stage I would like to see you catch on with Dan the Man or Larry Brown.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 4 months ago

It's called networking. It's just not commonly done in a newspaper article.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

I could see him landing on LB's staff in a blink.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 4 months ago

That's if Larry Brown is still coaching college basketball next year. I've heard he's had a few feelers already from the NBA.

Have suitcase, will travel.

Kevin Huffman 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if Gonzaga still needs an assistant but I know that Drake's new head coach WAS a Gonzaga assistant. Would be funny if he stayed within the conference but latched on to the best school in that conference.

Jim Stauffer 8 years, 4 months ago

Who's to say he has not been encouraged by bigger programs. He might end up here.

Robert Brock 8 years, 4 months ago

KU needs a big-time recruiter. Mike Lee ain't the guy.

ku_foaf 8 years, 4 months ago

Dooley will be big shoes to fill for anyone.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish Michael Lee nothing but the best, but he isn't quite ready to be an assistant here. Whoever Self hires, I am guessing he will be a recruiting stud, especially for the east coast or Texas. That just isn't Mike's forte. ...yet.

Steve Kubler 8 years, 4 months ago

Dooley still needed someone last I heard. Perhaps a left coast recruiter would be worth a look.

What is the consensus on Travis? I was in a spirited debate the other day on his NBA vs Europe career. I argued both sides for fun but feel that although he could probably get an NBA position he is going to make more money longer overseas. Just seems to be more of fit there, kind of like how Langford has fit in and made a killing doing it.

Would like to hear, well read, your thoughts.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 4 months ago

I have to agree with you. While I think Langford would make a good situational defensive specialist for an NBA team, I think he will find more interest overseas. As smooth and strong as he is, I think he can play many, many years overseas. However, unless he develops his outside shot a little more and maybe even another gear speed-wise, I don't see him finding a solid home in the NBA. As it is now, I think he would bounce from team to team and up and down from the D league.

I think I read in one of the articles last week that there are something like 76 underclassmen and international players that have declared for the draft. That doesn't even include college seniors, of which KU had three that are looking to be drafted. There are only 60 (62?) draft positions. There is simply so much talent for so few spots in the NBA. Releford may be a casualty of the numbers.

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

Releford won't get drafted, but he will be with someone in the summer league and he could make an NBA roster as an 11th or 12th player depending on the team that he goes to. I do believe that Releford's path to the most lucrative career is to go to Europe, but he should absolutely give the NBA a try first.

Vernon Riggs 8 years, 4 months ago

Oregon just got the commitment of the another BIG, a 5th year senior from UNLV. Is there room for Black in Eugene?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

IT LOOKS LIKE A SLOW NEWS DAY.

Please name ten movies, no matter how bad, you'll stop and watch whenever you come across them while surfing the channels.

1] INTO THE NIGHT [ '85] - Michelle Pfieffer naked - need I say more. 2] TREMORS ['90] - The Rec Room shootout is a classic. 3] SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER ['93] - Who thought chess could be so exciting. 4] ROADHOUSE ['89] - Sex, violence, red necks, alchohol..kind of like NASCAR. 5] THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN ['60] - Best western shootout ever!! 6] DIE HARD ['88] - A true Christmas Classic. 7] WAR OF THE WORLDS ['54] - Still scary after 60 friggin' years! 8] STARTREK; THE WRATH OF KAHN ['82] - Best Trek, best Villian, best Death [Spock]. 9] PORK CHOP HILL ['59] - Gem of a black/white movie [catch the future stars in bit parts]. 10] FIELD OF DREAMS ['89] - Any scene with Burt Lancaster.

HONORABLE MENTION: The Matrix II, Kill Bill Volume 1, Rodan, Rocky, Hell is for Heroes, & any dubbed-in Jackie Chan movie

dylans 8 years, 4 months ago

Pulp Fiction, and Fight Club, and To Kill a Mockingbird come to mind.

702Hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Patton and the Good the bad and the Ugly,

farnamjayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Godfather 1 and 2, Shawshank Redemption, any of the original Star Wars trilogy, Swingers, Dazed and Confused

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Hunt for Red October, Beverly Hills Cop, Gladiator.

Oh, and I think Oak meant "Ronan", not "Rodan" --- who was of course Godzilla's main adversary.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Sorry to expose my true childlike self but, yes, I meant RODAN, the Japanese sci-fi classic with the cheesy special effects and horrible English dubbing. But thanks anyway, HEM..you're way too kind!! :)

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow .. ok, I stand corrected then. Rodan it is. Personally, I was more of a Mothra fan back in the day.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

MOTHRA!!!!!

NOTHING ELSE EVEN COMES CLOSE.

MOTHRA MYTHICALLY ARCS MOTHER-CHILD BAGGAGE AND BUG DREAD.

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE HER AS A HEROINE.

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED SOMEONE TO MAKE "MOTHRA VS. QUEEN ALIEN: WAR OF THE EVIL MOTHERS."

MOTHRA WINS!!!

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Original Godzilla to hear Raymond Burr look out the radio station window and say, "Its big and its terrible."

The Maltese Falcon to hear Bogey say, "I'll slap you and you'll like it."

Cool Hand Luke to hear "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Dr. No to see Ursula Andress walk up onto the beach the first time.

Treasure of Sierra Madre to hear " "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Silence of the Lambs to hear ""A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

Pride of the Yankees to hear "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

Shane to hear the boy call out ""Shane. Shane. Come back!"

A League of Their Own to hear ""There's no crying in baseball!"

The Two Jakes to hear Nicholson narrate "I'm the leper with the most fingers" and Madeline Stowe say, "Don't make, Jake, don't make me."

All nudity with beautiful women portraying nakedness and sex as something good and there can be no exploitation or abuse of actresses involved either (note: alas, such footage is scarcer than hen's teeth.)

Dr. Strangelove to hear ""Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 4 months ago

Come on Jaybate...you know better. The Captain, played by Strother Martin, in Cool Hand Luke said:
"What we have here is...failure to communicate."
Nice list. I would add the African Queen to hear "By the authority vested in me by Kaiser Wilhelm II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.."
I guess I am showing my age.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

In no particular order:

STRIPES [’81] Bill Murray at his best. TIN CUP [’96] - If it’s anywhere near the final scene. BLUES BROTHERS [’80] - Absolutely any scene. BAD NEWS BEARS [’76] - The movie is insanely un-pc. Love watching Walter Matthau pitch batting practice to 11-year-old kids with a pale of iced beer on the mound. FLASHDANCE [’83] Jennifer Beals. Nuff said. BOND MOVIES [’62-’85] Anything pre-Timothy Dalton. TOP GUN [’86] Shamefully I know every line, of every character in this flick. THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY [’66] This one too, but I’m not ashamed of that. UNFORGIVEN [’92] Sequel to Good, Bad, Ugly? You tell me. CONTACT [’97] Any chance to view intergalaxial contact through Carl Sagan’s (and Jodie Foster’s) eyes is worthy of putting down the remote. THE BLACK STALLION [’79] Francis Ford Coppola produced a kids movie at the same time he was directing Apocalypse Now. The cinematography and music put me in a trance. RUDY [’93] Teared up a little just typing that.

HONORABLE MENTION: Braveheart, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Young Guns, Elf, Ip Man (Oak if you like martial arts flicks, look this one up. It’s the beginning of it all.) Smoky and the Bandit, Flashback... Good grief how many is that? I could go on forever.

Sam Constance 8 years, 4 months ago

My list of movies I'd rewatch when I happen to come across them on TV is longer than 10. So here are 10, picked at random (more or less) that I would do that for. These are by no means the top 10 I would rewatch.

Pulp Fiction .

The Big Lebowski .

Spinal Tap/A Mighty Wind (I know, this is kind of cheating) .

28 Days Later .

Seven .

Open Range (could substitute Dances With Wolves here, but DWW didn't have Robert Duvall) .

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas .

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (best one imho) .

Nolan's Batman trilogy (more cheating, sorry) .

The Neverending Story .

(NOTE: none of the Star Wars movies made the cut because I've seen them all SO MANY TIMES)

(ANOTHER NOTE: curious if I'm dating myself with these movie selections--any guesses as to my age?)

VailHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Airplane, Caddyshack, Top Secret, Usual Suspects, Fletch, WILFRED is tv but BRILLIANT!

Chris1955 8 years, 4 months ago

Predator, Dazed and Confused, Blues Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Zulu, It's mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

OOHH..good call on Madx4 World and Zulu!!

Sam Constance 8 years, 4 months ago

Damn. I totally forgot about Blues Brothers. That is an instant classic.

That one probably gets watched over almost every movie I listed.

monkeehawkSL8 8 years, 4 months ago

This Island Earth, Dr. Strangelove, The Flimflan man, It's a Dogs Life, Silverado, Them, The Day the Earth Stood Still the 50's version, Bullit, Hoosiers, Wag the Dog, Brother From Another Planet, 1st Thomas Crown Affair, the remake was good, honorable mention. Any Basil R. Sherlock Holmes, Soylent Green, Run Silent Run Deep, Fail Safe, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men, Thunder Heart, The Right Stuff, Sid and Nancy and the soon to be made "Andrew Makes a Decision". Can we play this again?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Great Sci-fi choices and Run Silent Run Deep.....may I add THE ENEMY BELOW as well?

monkeehawkSL8 8 years, 4 months ago

Absuluntly, 7 Days in May, Captains Courageous, Mrs. Minever, Enemy Mine.

tis4tim 8 years, 4 months ago

Braveheart, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Lostboys, The Game, The Phantom of the Opera (The original silent version with Lon Chaney).

tis4tim 8 years, 4 months ago

I would also add Trading Places and Wall Street. They get me every time.

andrewJHWK 8 years, 4 months ago

Ben McLemore may not have "announced" his signing with Rival sports management, but he has been working out with their trainer at The Factory in LA.

Lorena Ben G Solis 8 years, 4 months ago

Blade runner, kiss of death, true romance, the wanderers, king of new York, goodfellas,a time to kill, scarface, the professional,& training day

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

"In Which Michael Lee Reads the Writing on the Wall"

The Grey Area is notoriously expensive to live in and would be awful for an assistant coach salary at a small program with kids needing a house and a yard.

Further, the Grey Area is a pain to commute in, if you have to cross a bridge, or drive up the peninsula, to get to even quasi affordable housing. And flying in and out of SFI, or San Hose, or Oakland, to recruit, if you have got to live in affordable housing far away from these ports, means it sucks for frequent flying.

Next public schools have sucked forever there. Private schools are mammothly expensive. Lee has two or three youngin's.

Next, the state is still bankrupt and so taxes are high, and sure to go higher, as the counties and cities begin gouging for what the state is taking away.

And if all that weren't enough, Lee's been at USF 3 years and Walters is still at .500; that's a head coach firing waiting to happen.

Lee probably looked at this situation and thought, I've gotten what I can get out of this situation and Rex isn't going to come around to my way of thinking on what needs to be done to take it to the next level, so, given my housing and school needs for my kids, better I find myself without a job now than a year from now in the wake of a sacking of Walters and staff.

Makes sense to me.

Next.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

P.S.: Three years of living in the city in an apartment with family coming on is about the time a lot of persons decide they have had enough of the wonderful SF city life. They've had about as many dinners out as they can stand. They've Christmas shopped Union Square and Post Street. They've skated the Park and skied Tahoe and been down to Santa Cruz a few times. They've partied on the house boats in Marin and gone to Stinson Beach a bunch of times. Then they have to face the costs I mentioned above. If you can afford a big unit on Pacific Heights and private schools for your kids, and can afford a sail boat down at the Marina, then you stay. Else its off to the nice, distant suburbs and the commute you eventually will not be able to stand.

Nevertheless, its still the greatest city in the world and I love it.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 4 months ago

You have it right. The BBall programs at the USF is tiny by todays standardst. Michael Lee was not an Assistant Coach there, his position was Assistant to the Head Coach, so his salary was likely extremely low; perhaps barely enough for a young single person just breaking into the profession, but definitely not enough for a married man with 3 kids.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 4 months ago

One: nothing is better than catching a Jackass trilogy on MTv late at night. Two: nothing is worse than seeing something like Pirates of the Caribbean pop up on the guide, selecting it, then it's on the freaking Spanish channel!

Adam Tyler 8 years, 4 months ago

Jason King at ESPN has reported the spotting of Michael Dixon (former Mizzery player) at Allen Fieldhouse. How does Jayhawk Nation feel about this? I do not even know what to think, honestly.

"Dixon has spent this semester taking online coursework through a junior college. He plays pickup games in various gyms throughout his native Kansas City and has even been spotted at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence in recent weeks scrimmaging with members of the Kansas Jayhawks."

David Leathers 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if this idea was shared above or not, but here goes:

Michael Lee resigned from his job because he feels that he is a coach that is on the rise. Most coaches that are on the rise usually get picked out and hunted by other top programs after enjoying a winning season with their respective teams. However, with the record that USF posted this season (15-16), there is no way that he will be receiving any job offers from these high profile programs unless he promotes and markets himself.

I highly doubt that there was anything wrong here as mentioned above as a possibility. Lee is a good man looking for good work before it gets too late. He probably was sitting on the toilet one day and had a flash forward to his future where he was the old, grey-haired man sitting on the sidelines of the ran down USF arena.

Hawk8086 8 years, 4 months ago

After reading the article, scrimmaging with our guys may mean nothing. It is hard to say how you feel when you don't know what happened. I usually assume, fairly or unfairly, that where there is smoke there is fire.........Haith and Co. must have some information that was not good that led to the decision to part ways. In light of that, I would not be in favor of Dixon playing for KU. He is talented, though.

GortHawker 8 years, 4 months ago

Gort likes " The Day the Earth Stood Still " We need a big man coach and Mike ain't it. '

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

What I'm curious about is any other names that we're in the hunt for, or that are in discussions, regarding the open scholarships.

We have 2. We know the Wiggins drama. We know Black.

Who is the next Milton Doyle?

Jack Wilson 8 years, 4 months ago

I would much rather us give the scholarships to Wesley for another year and Garrett, and hold them for 2014, if we don't snag a "play now" transfer. Just interested in who we might be pursuing .. there's more information out there on classified black ops than the guys we're pursuing.

Hawk8086 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. I posted a while back regarding Self seemingly always filling scholarships instead of holding back for the next year. (My giggle comment was referring to your previous "Doyle" comment.

Hawk8086 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. I posted a while back about Self seeming to prefer filling all of the scholarships instead of saving some for the next year. (My giggle comment was a response to your "Doyle" comment above)

Joseph Bullock 8 years, 4 months ago

too funny elite. well, I guess our recruits are classified then, right? lol

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

"Thursday Cracks"

Milton Doyle may be the next Milton Doyle! Self is in Chi right now! :-)

Michael Dixon would be fine, if he can play. He passes the IQ test simply by having left MU.

MARNELL VARDEN 6-9 110 lb PF is having an inhome with Self. Marnell's nickname is Mylar.

Sheahon is scrimmaging with the team at a new position called Blocking Guard.

AWigs will be listed as 6-11 if he signs with KU.

Conner Frankanp measures 6-7 in AFH.

CBernie is now listed at 6-3.

Tyler Self has grown to 7-4 this summer.

Cin can dunk.

Joke of the Day:

Q: How do you tell the difference between an alleged KU impropriety and an alleged UK impropriety?

A: In an alleged KU impropriety, cash is alleged to go to someone outside the program. In an alleged UK impropriety, cash is alleged to go to someone inside the program.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

texashawk10 8 years, 4 months ago

I bet Hudy would love to work with a 6'9" 110 lb. PF.

KansasComet 8 years, 4 months ago

Good to see you back to being you! Thanks!

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

Rumor: Bill will hire Roy to replace Joe.

LeadFarmer 8 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if kusports.com will write an article for the rest of the KU graduates who are looking for work, and not just the ones who got a free education. In this economy they could hire each graduate to write their own sob piece, that way they don't have to do any actual journalism...like normal I guess.

jaybate 8 years, 4 months ago

LeadFarmer,

Ease up on the tetraethyl, will ya?

GBed is a pro. Even his downs look like up to me. Viva GBed.

brooksmd 8 years, 4 months ago

Is there no love for Kim Bassinger on the floor in front of the fridge in 9 1/2 Weeks? That alone was worth the price of a ticket.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget Klute, when Jane Fonda had her real boobs!!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks to all for posting your favorite movies..I have seen them all.... [except Neverending Story...c'mon, really????]

monkeehawkSL8 8 years, 4 months ago

Oak, that was a hoot. Thank you for the distraction. I could go on for hours about movies, but I won't. ( I heard that collective sigh of relief from Jayhawk Nation) Before we go back to K-ball I wanted to throw out one more favorite, HARVEY.

I hope Andrew doesn't say, "well, I have decided where I'm going to school". OK, where? "I will announce on........". I have become old and sour, more impatient and in light of recent events about BMAC more of a conspiracy theorist. "This must be sabatogee" Bugs Bunny from the Gremlin/Air Force cartoon. Ab ab ab ab that's all folks!