Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bill Self OK that shot clock to stay at 35

Kansas head coach Bill Self erupts at a game official after Ben McLemore was whistled for a technical during the first half of the semifinal round of the Big 12 tournament on Friday, March 15, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

In somewhat of a surprise, the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee Thursday didn’t even vote on reducing the college shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds.

Most figured the issue would be addressed in an effort to increase scoring in games during the 2013-14 season. Instead, the clock remains at 35.

“I think they failed to come to a resolution that it would better our game,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday night.

He was in Indianapolis earlier this week to meet with the rules committee and attend other meetings as a board member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

“I think they (rules committee members) felt these other instances were more appropriate that can add more scoring to better our game rather than just trying to shorten the clock,” Self added.

One of the “other instances” passed for next season is interpretation of the charging/blocking foul. Starting next season, the defender will be prevented from sliding into the offensive players’s path at the last second.

“It’s more like the NBA rule when the ball is coming up into the motion to shoot ... that’s when the defender has to be set, whereas now (last season) he (defender) didn’t have to be set until he (offensive player) leaves his feet. So that will make a lot more blocks than charges,” Self said.

The rules committee will allow officials to use video monitors more in the final two minutes of games and in overtime. Late-game replays will be used to determine who should retain possession for a play out of bounds and for shot-clock violations.

“Going to the monitor like the NBA to make sure calls are right in the last two minutes in certain situations, not all, is a positive (change),” Self said.

Also, there will be an emphasis on calling fouls on defenders who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use their arms to stop an opponent from running by.

“All we are doing,” Self said, “is trying to do a better job of enforcing the rules the way they are because style of play has dictated how the game is called too much. I think you’ll see a lot of teams in the bonus early in the game early in the season until players get used to this.”

Scholarship offer: KU has offered a scholarship to Stephen Zimmerman, a 7-foot, 215-pound sophomore center from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, jayhawkslant.com reports. Zimmerman is ranked No. 2 in the recruiting Class of 2015. He also has received offers from Arizona, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, UNLV, Memphis, UTEP, Auburn and Florida State.

Dixon update: ESPN’s Jason King reports that the schools currently showing the most interest in former Missouri guard Michael Dixon are East Carolina, which Dixon has visited, plus Baylor, Colorado and Loyola Marymount. The former Tiger, who has been taking online courses since being removed from MU’s team in November, has been playing pick-up games in the KC area and has reportedly played in some open-gym pick-up games with the Jayhawks in Allen Fieldhouse. Sources say Dixon, a former Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West standout, has not spoken with Self about a possible transfer to KU.

Comments

David Hall 1 year, 3 months ago

MR ZIMMERMAN HAS OFFER BY BAYLOR TO

Michael Auchard 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you, oh basketball scribe.

bad_dog 1 year, 3 months ago

I love it when posters shout inconplete/incoherent statements.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

I'M SCREAMING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

AND FOR YOUR HELP IN TRANSFERRING MONIES WE WILL REIMBURSE YOU $10,000,000. Sincerely Mr. Zimmerman esquire, Bank of Nigeria.

trustyourSelf 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't think I want a former Missou player playing for us. I'm happy the shot clock is staying at 35

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

Disagree on both counts.

1) What could be better than a former Mizzoodle player coming to Kansas? That would be like Darth Vader forsaking the Dark Side to return to the light.

2) The game has gotten bogged down since the early 2000s with low scores in the 50s and 40s. Changing the shot clock to a 24-second clock will speed the game up and get it back to the high-scoring game it needs to be.

jakejayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

With respect, watch the NBA and leave my college game alone. It isn't broken.

BrianCh 1 year, 3 months ago

Totally agree with jakejayhawk. There are better ways to increase scoring in college than messing with the shot clock.

Cmill1221 1 year, 3 months ago

When was the last time KU scored 40points in a game? Maybe once a season. Of you put a 24 second shot clock in there may be more scoring but you will see way more bad shots and 1 on 1 basketball. It would be like And1 street ball. The only reason it works in the NBA (even though I hate it) is they have the top players in the world.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Shout it louder Jake! Scoring has been declining since 1973, and this season it fell to the lowest per-game average in 30 years.

A 24 sec. clock would make no sense unless you like like poor shooting and bad shot selection.

On the other hand though, we can stretch out the final 2 min by at least 10 minutes more... Nothing beats watching refs deciding to add or remove 1/10 of a second.

bad_dog 1 year, 3 months ago

Wasn't Dixon run following two allegations of sexual improprieties at Mizzery? Why would you want someone like that here?

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

The way to help scoring in the college game is not to shorten the shot clock at the college level, it's to implement a shot clock at the HS level in all 50 states and AAU tournaments.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

And, isn't scoring down in the NBA as well? This year several teams hit franchise lows in scoring. Lower the shot clock to 15 seconds!

Showtime is now Slowtime. I always knew letting the NBA play zones was a bad idea. Too much 'team' play in the 'all about me' NBA. I'm sure they will reinstitute the forward looking 1946 rule and say goodbye to the zone.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 3 months ago

Bedore: Why bring Self into this? Do you have any reason to think he should be offered at KU? Quite frankly I'm shocked he is even allowed to be in AFH or the adjacent practice facility to play in any type of games. He's BAD news.

mwmilsted 1 year, 3 months ago

I've been waiting for someone to address Bedore's poor reporting. IMO of the opinion that he would be better off somewhere else. Most of his articles seem to come from outside sources and don't reflect what is going on at KU.

kugrad93 1 year, 3 months ago

Give me a break. Nobody churns out more copy about KU hoops than Bedore. The guy works seven days a week. Here's how this probably went down: someone from J-W management hears a rumor that Dixon is playing pickup with KU players and freaks out. Bedore has to stick it in the notes to pacify them. Nothing to see here. Move along.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

Too bad there's not a "dislike" button. Bedore is an excellent reporter and doesn't deserve your criticism.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 3 months ago

yeah but that will help them heal better, they'll have more manna.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

It's the unrestricted fouling and chucking for extended whistle-swallowing periods that has reduced scoring.

They have decided to fix this by favoring the shooter in a few blocking situations?

This is a flipping joke.

They should all be ashamed of themselves.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

jb - This article only had one line on it, but the following is from the KC Star, which goes more to what you might be looking for; but maybe not quite far enough:

"Also, fouls will be expected to be called when a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent; puts two hands on an opponent; continually jabs by extending his arms and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent or uses an arm bar to impede progress."

dnvrhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

This rule will affect the Dookies tremendously.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

Too bad it couldn't have happened before the 2007 slugfest in the Elite 8 against UCLA. KU might have had a chance in that game.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

HEM,

Thanks for the additional info. It gives some reason for hope.

zsn 1 year, 3 months ago

It doesn't matter what the rules say. It only matters how the refs call it. "Hand-checking" has always been illegal. Reminds me of an incident in the 1984 OU game at Allen - yes, the one which Calvin Thomson sent to OT with a half-courter. Anyway, when the first foul was called on Tisdale the PA announcer said "The foul is on Wayman Tisdale, his first" there was a split second of silence and the guy a few rows from us (we were about a couple of rows from the top of the student section, behind the bench) yelled "The first one you called, you b@st@rds!"

The rules are only as good as the refs who interpret them!! FWIW, I think the 35-second shot clock is ideal. Don't f#&$k with that.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

zsn: Great point. Following the rule book is the safe thing. But many officials seem to think it's their game, not the players' game.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I know you've noticed the 'physical' play in the NBA jaybate. The Knicks had 56 points going into the 4th period.

Neither game last night (11th) had a team break 90 after 48 min w/24 sec clock.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 3 months ago

Dixon was a very good 6th man at mu. He had his chance to be a star and he blew it. I forgot that he was kicked off the team, and didn't know that he was transferring and don't really care, other than I hope that he doesn't end up in the Big 12, because I don't want us to have to play against him again.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

What if he plays for us? That would be the ultimate case of a guy seeing the light, recognizing the error of his way in being a Mizzoodle player and joining Kansas.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

If Self offers Dixon, I'm good with it. If he doesn't, I'm good with it too! I like our team next year. I said we would be a top 5 team last year, and I am saying we will be a top 5 team this year. Oh yeah, I was told I was dreaming last year. So I guess I will keep living the dream. Go Jayhawks.

Conner Frankamp reminds me of Steph Curry. I do not like comparisons, but he has that type of game. He stays in attack mode, I hope no one ever takes that away from him.

Chris Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Who said you were dreaming last year? Weren't we a consensus pre-season top 5 team last year?

This year though... yeah I understand the naysayers.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

The MAJOR difference, as others have pointed out, is that Curry has a quick trigger release and Conner has a very deliberate, full-motion release (typical of a high schooler perfecting his mechanics against competition that can't alter a shot if they wanted to. This is by the far my biggest concern about Conner and his lights-out shooting (not his DI quickness or strength- which will come). He's going to have to alter the very thing that has made him an elite shooter.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

From what I have witnessed, Conner creates a tremendous amount of separation and can get his shot off. I think he will be ready. I was not sold on this kid, until I saw him play live in an All-Star game against some pretty good recruits. 20 points in 20 minutes, and was clearly the best player on the court.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

I do think he is really better than many think at creating separation, and at least on the high school levels looks awfully quick. I like him a lot, and think he's going to be great here, and could be one of the greatest shooters we've ever had, but I still don't think his shooting motion is quite as quick as that of some of the people he's been compared to, especially a Curry or thinking way back- Chris Jackson, etc. Watching the lengthy clip posted by LA, I'm a little more sold on his release being above average- he does have the opportunity to be an early impact guy if the pieces fall right.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks. Not real big on comparisons, but his style is similar to Curry's. He can get his shot off. He is not slow, and he does have a pretty quick trigger. Glad that you got to see the post from LAHawk. Thanks for taking me back to Chris Jackson, he could really fill it up.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Seems like a pretty quick release to me....

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for the post. Kid can ball!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I have to say..his video's don't backup your assertion.

Any counter evidence or the links where, "as others have pointed out"?

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Plus, he'll be very good on the drive because we'll have finishers, so they'll have to respect his ability on the dribble which should free up his three.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

"Sources say Dixon, a former Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West standout, has not spoken with Self about a possible transfer to KU."

Of course, it doesn't say whether Dixon has talked with anyone else on the KU staff.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

A little conflicted on it, only because of the MU thing. Not really concerned about the alleged assaults as an issue -- mainly because if Self did take him, I doubt there is substance to the serious claims. If they are true, I'd pass without a doubt.

From a talent standpoint, I would take him in a minute. I love the guy's game. He would be "immediate impact" if there ever was one.

What do you think?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm glad that the NCAA chose not to change the shot clock. It will be interesting to see how do enforcing their "points of emphasis" this year. I distinctly remember that they labeled it a point of emphasis before last season to call more block/charge calls in favor of the offense, and it didn't make any difference because they still never called the blocking foul (even if they didn't call charging (@ISU)). Now they're changing the rule so that they can enforce the "tie goes to the runner" rule and generate higher scores and more interest in the game.

I doubt they will be able to enforce the "hand-checking" emphasis next year. Maybe then they will make a rule change for that, too.

oldalum 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not optimistic. Last year keeping coaches in the coaching box was a "point of emphasis", and I saw coaches (like Scott Drew) nearly out to mid-court and no one ever said a word to them.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

So Disappointed. Was really looking forward to reading a story titled "Wiggins getting even closer to deciding" :(

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 3 months ago

Your right , that would have been news. "This closeness goes to 11", thank you Nigel.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I am missing the 200+ comments such a title line would produce : (

Cameron Schienebeck 1 year, 3 months ago

That new "Duke" Charge Rule could really affect a certain team. I won't mention which one.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 3 months ago

DUKE! That's also the first thing that came to my mind.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 3 months ago

If hand checking is called more closely next year it would appear then that Jeff Withey was fortunate to graduate this year. Many of Jeff's blocks came after he "redirected" an opposing player's move to the basket by pushing the other player in the small of the back or hips area, when attempting to score on Jeff.

There is a lot of hand checking by most guards in the NCAA, and Kansas guards were as adept at it as any when attempting to slow down opposing players who attacked the lane.

I will find it interesting how closely the officials enforce this rule.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

"Many of Jeff's blocks came after he "redirected" an opposing player's move to the basket by pushing the other player in the small of the back or hips area, when attempting to score on Jeff." - Very astute observation! Withey did that to Anthony Davis 3 times in the NC game with his left hand as he drove by him.

BainDread 1 year, 3 months ago

NCAA's points-of-emphasis are usually observed for the first month of the season, then forgotten by everyone - except for clueless TV commentators who repeatedly bring them up thinking it will make them sound knowledgeable about the sport.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Rules. rules, rules! We were surely needing a much more broad interpretation of course. Sounds like the Fed Govt approach to daily life. Wonder if they'll stop some of the occaisional body slams & other various muggings also? Sounds like it will be sooooooooooo much more uniform now doesn't it? All replay consistently accomplishes is taking away momentum from any team in any sport, so that's really going to make regular season a lot closer to the dance & incessant tv timeouts. Advertisers can gleefully spend millions more with this aspect cleared up.Yep, they're improving the game by leaps & bounds-at least IMO-Blatant sarcasm intended.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 3 months ago

These are not new rules, just new interpretations of old rules. KCCO.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Did I say new? Musta whiffed on that one.

Brak 1 year, 3 months ago

Do you remember how long close games took to finish up due to all the fouling and timeouts called, now imagine the refs have more power to call more fouls and spend 20 minutes looking at the monitor to make sure they have every call right. I'm telling you right now with all those late Big Monday games we will be lucky to even see the 2nd half.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

Dixon would be a great pick up from a pure basketball standpoint. But I just don't think it's the right fit, right now.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Georges Niang would have problems making it through the season! :)

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

There should be technical fouls for flopping. If there were, Kansas would have beaten Iowa State in Ames without overtime, and there wouldn't be all their idiot fans and the ESPN hype machine raging about the missed block/charge. Also, if there were, Kansas would have crushed Michigan in the Sweet 16, and the game never would have been close enough for Elijah Johnson to piss it away like he did.

Janet Cinelli 1 year, 3 months ago

SO HAPPY!!! They didn't mess up the shot clock!!!!! It is a big factor in making the college game SO far superior to the NBA game. >>Happy dance!!!<<

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

Whew! At least they didn't go for the NBA's defensive three-second rule...

archercc 1 year, 3 months ago

LOL at the concept of Dixon coming to KU. He was one of the biggest whiners and isht talkers in the league. I cant imagine he would get a warm welcome.

DanR 1 year, 3 months ago

Yep pretty funny. Some people here seem to think giving a twice-accused rapist kicked off the Mizzou squad a second chance at KU is somehow sticking it to MU.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

The worst part of any sport are the officials. It is a never ending saga. The arrogant, egotistical jerks that gravitate to officiating/umpiring are the ones that create the problems -- calls will be missed, things messed up, but its how its handled and dealt with. Will officials be willing to learn from their mistakes?

Like the guy who can't see a home run on replay, or simply won't reverse the call because he doesn't have to. He couldn't even admit he was wrong.

Try listening to a career official. Everyone else is the enemy and the official has to maintain "control." It will never change until governing bodies -- NCAA (and conferences that hire them), MLB, NBA, etc. will simply fire the problem officials. Just refuse to tolerate to egotistical jerks and supervisors that instill the attitudes that fight against change and improvement.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

The governing body could rate/grade the refs performance and have a sliding pay scale and sliding work load. Unfortunately the mid-majors would get stuck with the majority of the refs rehabbing or building their reputation/grade.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Because officiating is the hardest part, it's the worst. I defy anyone to call a clean game. When the game is clean, it has much more to do with the way the players play than the way the officials officiate, at least in my opinion.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] They should set the shot clock at Pi......31.41.

2] Definitely offer to Michael, pair him up with Frank and, BINGO, Kansas has the only Mason/Dixon line in Division One!!

3] Let's see...a 7'-0"/215 lb high school soph, by the time he graduates, he'll be 7'-2"/230 and when he gets to Kansas and walks into Allen for the first time he'll magically become 7'-4"/260...yep, sign him up!!

4] Photo headline above.."HCBS makes ref cry while blasting blown call!"

5] Oh great.....the expanded video priviledges just added another 45 minutes to every game. Oh well, at least we'll get to see the same commercials 6 or 7 times as opposed to 3 or 4 times.

6] THIS JUST IN..Andrew Wiggins has eliminated Kentucky and North Carolina from his list!! ......well, not really..but, for a second, didn't it feel good!!??

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

In the near future, to addition to the current planned breaks, there will be a three minute, seven minute, eleven minute, fourteen minute, seventeen minute, eighteen minute and a nineteen minute planned commercial break for every game.......OH WAIT...we have that already!!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

Reviewing calls on a courtside monitor will increase the length of the game but likely will not result in additional commercial. If you look at games on TV, when there is a review, normally they show the officials around the monitor and run replays from different angles, hardly ever a commercial is shown, as those are programmed ahead of time.

Robert Robinson 1 year, 3 months ago

Leave the shot clock alone. Let them play defense. Thats my favorite part of college bball. College basketball doesnt score as high as NBA because they are kids! The best college players become pros. You want higher scoring? Talk to the NBA and ask them real nicely if they will stop picking the best players out of college

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

7'0" and 215#...sure hope that weight is wrong. LOL

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

The kid is finishing up his sophomore year so he has 2 more years in high school to fill out his frame a little bit more. Jeff Withey wasn't far off of that when he came out of high school though.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Ok, maybe a better topic.

The battle this fall that will be most intriguing to me (so long as we don't get Andrew Wiggins -- I can only hope that we don't) is AW3 vs. Brannen Greene vs. Conner Frankamp for the 3rd perimeter starting spot.

Most I think/assume that it will be Tharpe and Selden at the other two spots.

Personally, I think AW3 is close to a lock. If not, he might have considered transferring. But most know my AW3 bias here.

What concerns me about AW3 is not AW3 .. but that there may be something about his game that Self doesn't like. He is a bit clunky .. meaning, he doesn't move smoothly on his toes. Kind of flat-footed looking. Makes him look odd on defense in particular. If there wasn't something that displeased Self, then there is no reason why the guy shouldn't have played more.

One thing that seems apparent is that both Greene and Frankamp bring better ball handling to the table. Self had commented that a reason why AW3 wasn't playing was ball handling. A kind of convoluted explanation that if he was going to bring in a perimeter player with that lack of decent ball handlers in the rotation, that he needed a ball handler coming in. Never made any sense to me. So that could play against AW3.

But I see a double digit scorer in AW3 next season. Thoughts?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree. I'll give AW3 the inside edge, if only because he has completed his freshman year. Tharpe had serious ball control issues that were addressed over the summer. I imagine AW3 is addressing those issues now.

I think all of them are capable of playing multiple (at least 2,maybe 3) positions so it won't necessarily be head-to-head competition. Next year's talent will almost force HCBS to give his freshman players more PT than normal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Conner getting 'some' PT at the point.

Whatever happens..it will be fun to watch.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

One question HEM, whose minutes should AW3 have taken last season? Most coaches will tell you that after the first month of play, the starting roles (barring injury) are pretty much set, and by the end of the season, they prefer a 7-8 man rotation; HC Self has indicated this much in his radio show on several occasions, and I have heard the same thing from many other coaches as well.
So, if you want to be a starter, you better earn the position early on as it is very difficult to do it later. HC Self does not usually start freshmen; for all practical purposes, McLemore was a sophomore.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry I'm at this late. I posted on the "minutes" deal during the season.

I was advocating for about 12 - 15 minutes per game. Using average minutes, 5 from Traylor (or more, much like Mario Little played the 4), and 4 from Releford. That would put him at 14 minutes (including the 5 per he already got). Now the minute thing is tough to gauge .. but in a regular game there are 200 minutes available (5 players x 40 minutes: Mclemore 32, Withey 30, Young 23, Ellis 15, Releford 30, EJ 30, Tharpe 20, White 15, Traylor 5 -- this is very rough, of course. But you can see how easy it would be to get White 15 minutes per game.

I firmly believe that the total package that White brought would have been better than the total package Traylor brought. But situationally, White may have played less some games, and more others of course. Look at my post below and a sample of Self's quotes about AW3. If you listened to Hawktalk, there were many other positives.

I do agree. Coaches prefer a tighter rotation. My deal was that during the regular season, as it appears White was developing (in a December stretch of games), Self suddenly just decided it was over.

I believe firmly that we would have been a better team, overall, had White played every minute given to Traylor this season. White was a better rebounder than Traylor, would have scored more (he scored more anyway in about half the minutes .. and those benefits would have offset the possible difference 1 inch in height would have made defensively (and it is just barely an inch if you look at the team photo).

And I don't think AW3 should have started, of course. But in a Mario Little role.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

The teams that made the final four this season all had assassins shooting deadly 3-pointers. I am in full agreement. Thanks!

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

One thing that AW3 has going for him is that experience counts in Self's system, maybe more so than in others. The returning guy seems to have a huge advantage over the new guy. History would suggest that AW3 has the edge. I have assumed a starting spot is his until someone takes it away from him. I missed Self's comment about his ball handling, but it makes sense. I agree, there will be a lot of competition at that spot. I hope you are right about the double digit scoring, but I am not counting on it. I believe the offense will be carried by Ellis (boy will he be the focus of everyone's defense), Tharpe, Selden. The rest will chip in as they earn playing time. I think their scoring will be fragmented as I believe that the guys you mentioned will all be close. One thing we have seen in the past, that it is always difficult to predict which freshman will step right in and play as if they have been in the lineup forever. Who knows.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

From the article (link below): “He’s getting tougher,” Self said. “Andrew’s getting tougher. He’s a competitive kid. Andrew’s going to be OK. You look at our team. Does Andrew deserve from a talent standpoint to play more? Absolutely. No question. But you look at our team, what’s our biggest need?” Better ball-handling and passing. “Now you’re putting in a guy who doesn’t do that as well as some other guys,” Self said. “If we were more consistent handling and passing the ball, Andrew White would be playing more. But that’s not really Travis’ forte. That’s not Ben’s forte, so it needs to be Elijah (Johnson) and Naadir (Tharpe’s) forte.”

Fyi, I noticed the "passing" comment as part of that, which I did not recall.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

AW3 may start at the start but Mean Greene will finish at the finish....this kid may be the most under-rated recruit of the 2013 Kansas Class.

At the very LEAST, he will push AW3 hard because Andy will know that it will be a close call between "prime time' and "pine time" if he doesn't produce!!!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

'At the very LEAST, he will push AW3 hard'

Competition makes everyone better, I hope it's a dogfight at every position.

For all you PCers out there..is it okay to say dog fight again?

LAJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Totally agree. I've been saying that Greene may be the most under-the-radar recruit in the country this year. My gut says he's gonna have a big, big year next year. I think he's absolutely got the talent to do it.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Barring injury, starting lineup, pre league play: Tharpe, Selden, White, Ellis, Lucas. Lucas and White hit the reserve list along with Traylor and Frankamp before March. Wildcard is Frank Mason. I am really curious to watch his play in the exhibition games. If not an instant threat to Tharpe, perhaps a red shirt. (If WIggins should sign, toss all this conjecture out the Fieldhouse windows.)

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

It seems obvious to me that 3-pt. shooting will be the difference in several wins or losses this season. I think that Bill Self will ride along with AW3 in the starting lineup for as long as possible, to boost Andrew's comfort level as the pure shooter that he promises to be. And Self will squeeze as many minutes as possible for Frankamp to find his shot at the Div. 1 level. Those two players represent huge difference makers on a team loaded with so much inexperience. By the time Embiid adjusts in the manner I think with confidence that he will, and Greene progresses (much in the manner of Ellis, last season), Bill Self is sitting on another squad which should advance far into the NCAA Tournament. Might not win the Big 12 title; but will be the best league squad by March. Okie State and Baylor will be stunned by Jayhawk supremacy in the Big 12 Tournament.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

...and Self finally has a deep squad with 9 reliable players by March Madness.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

There are three frickin' coaches kids on this team. How can they loose?

It takes me back to other coaches' kids on the team Collison comes to mind. When will Bill stop holding Tyler back?

seventytwohawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The comment 'we have enough rules to govern play, we just need to make the calls according to the rules we have' harkens to the idea that 'we have all the laws we need, but the enforcement arms of the respective government entities need to enforce the laws on the books instead of the esp. FED government promulgating new laws which consistently endanger the few freedoms we 'subjects' still maintain. In watching some of the last week or so of the NBA playoffs, it appears that the Powers-That-Be want the series to go as long as possible and the underdog teams to do as well as possible. They are attaining this goal through their minions the referees. Some of the calls against the Spurs and Thunder (or no calls) are so obvious that they scream at us. I really have no dog in the fight, am not a gambler, but do enjoy how the Spurs play the game and how Collison can help the Thunder in a myriad of ways. The referees have the ability at all levels to affect style-of-play, pace of the game, availability of impact players at crunch time, and and thus determine to a great extent the outcome of the game. Jaybate's example of 'swallowed whistles' obviously favors the more physical and less deep team over the deep, finesse team. Sports Illustrated featured an article last year which sought to discover the reason home teams won such a high percentage of their games. Basically, it came down to the crowds' influence on close plays at the end of the games, and also how the game was called from its inception. Given this proof as to the power of officials to determine the outcome of almost any team game (especially if the teams are even closely matched when subtle influences have profound effect), is it a stretch to think that other, either overt or covert, influences, maybe less benign than a home crowd, can cause the officials to act to influence a game? And, if so, this knowledge becoming wide-spread could cause a disenchantment and cynicism among that sports fans which could lead to the exodus millions of adherents and the loss of a great portion of one's recreational options. If basketball were to go the way of Boxing and Olympic Diving and Figure Skating in which outcomes are frequently predetermined it would leave all of us with much to regret.

1timbob 1 year, 3 months ago

They need to change the shot clock, too many teams slow it down! If they speed up the game, this favors Ku,UK, Unc,Duke etc. There wouldn't be as many upsets in March. Speed up the game and KU as a better shot at winning more titles!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't know if the Jayhawks finished the year with the lowest defensive fg% in the nation, I believe they had it most of the year. I found watching games last years physically painful. There seemed to be multiple possessions a game where the Hawks played that smothering "tell me what kind of gum he's chewing" defense only to give up a shot at the 34.879sec mark. Sometimes resulting in a bucket or an offensive rebound for the opponent. At first glance I thought that a shorter clock might have a positive effect/affect on this.

I don't know M Dixon, I am a fan of 2nd chance life altering changes of heart and character. If the young man can ball, handle the ball, dish, make sound decisions and is willing to buy in, seeing the former "moger" waive the wheat would for me, be a feel good Jayhawk moment. I will now duck and cover. PULL!

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The King article re Dixon: Coveted Transfers Still Up for Grabs. I'm too dumb to know how to link it. But I am certain that Bill Self has weighed the pros and cons of offering Michael a scholly, esp. if NCAA approves his eligibility for this season. He was given the boot, evidently by the university rather than Frank Haith, in November after second allegation of sexual assault by a female Mizzou student. First female refused to press charges. Prosecutors could not see enough reason in second charge, even to interview Dixon. Sounds like a powderkeg awaiting a coach in a relatively clean system. But also looks to be a very competent player looking for a chance to redeem himself in a winning program, Final Four bound. Self will catch a ton of hell if he makes the offer. I'd predict only a 10% chance it could happen. As a Missouri resident, I have watched the kid play a lot. Chip on shoulder, but one hell of a combo guard, ready made for major minutes in a major system.

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

The fact that he is scrimmaging with our players does not necessarily mean anything. He is local and knows our players. There may not even be any consideration at all for him to go to KU. While I don't know what happened with Dixon, there must be some smoke there for Mizzou to let him go. On the surface, I would not be in favor of him playing at KU. But again, I don't know what happened at all.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I've become a Tharpe fan .. and to think about how close he was to trading places with Adams. Self should get huge credit for the statements he made last late November/early December about either Tharpe picking it up, or moving in a different direction. Tharpe's upward tick corresponded directly to those comments.

Can't wait to see him run the show. Hope he views his role as distributor in chief, and doesn't think he needs to be a scorer first. My bet is that we'll go through a few phases where the devil on his shoulder is saying "score, score." Hope he listens to the angel .. "create, create."

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Slayr,

The rule changes will trigger more foul calling early on drives, chucks and moving screens; this means the games will run longer; this will either make games longer, there will have to be longer whistle swallowing stretches to shorten the games back up. Avoiding this dilemma is why I advocated doing away with stopping the clock for violations and calling the game consistent with the rules.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Man, the best advice ever. Simply call the game consistent with the rules. It is not a difficult concept.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

What I've never understood about the basketball clock is why it's needed at all. Figure out how long you want each period to be and make that the length of the half. Also, add a rule disallowing timeouts in the last 10 minutes of each half. Make each half an hour long. TV timeouts can come at each five minute mark. Damn, am I good.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Clock stoppage is a penalty on the violator. If the clock were not to stop, the violater with a lead down the stretch could gain a big edge by shortening the game with frequent fouling.

I would prefer not to do away with clock stoppage and just call the game by the rules, but so long as the game has a broadcast window, I think ending clock stoppage and calling the game according to the rules is the best trade-off.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Well knew Wiggins was near a decision. I just read an article a few mins ago tonight and it says he choses FLSt. His mother is coming from Canada and it's Mother's Day. I just have a funny feeling that he's choosing FLSt for his mom on Mother's Day. I would respect and think its nice, but he's leaving college with nothing. He'll leave his only year in college with nothing but having chosen his family's alma mater. Oh well, it is a sweet family moment.

I hope to be wrong, but was feeling pretty good with KU. Mother's Day just put a whole new perspective on his choice. I'll be the first to say, congrats FLSt and Hamilton better make the most of this kid's time. I just don't think they have a good year because the coach is average, team talent average, and conference is going to be fairly tough. I don't see FLSt doing much more than last year. He will get to compete against Parker.

I really thought he wanted to make a Canadian statement. Again, Naismith was Canadian, but your family pride takes precedence over national interests. Good luck Wigs and wish you the best. Thanks for considering KU.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 3 months ago

I can live with him choosing FSU over UK or UNC.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

AW isn't making a decision because it's Mother's Day, but rather the last day a recruit can sign is May 15th. If he was announcing today, then you can possibly tie Mother's day. Both of his parents are heading down to West Virginia tomorrow for an apparent decision on Tuesday. If AW doesn't sign before the 15th, he can always show up and enroll at any school before classes start.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

Man, I hope we get Tarik Black. I'm worried about our front court- will we be able to score in the paint? We'll have some big bodies in Jamari and Embiid as well as Lucas but offensively this worries me because Perry may be the only one with the moves. Our backcourt doesn't worry me as much with plenty of guys to sub in and out.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

Man, tough crowd! If Tarik Black came in and played 20-25 mpg that would mean he beat out another player on the roster. I think we could use more experience in our frontcourt. Still want him.

Colby Hebert 1 year, 3 months ago

I too am excited for Tharpe to take over the point guard duties next year. He had nine assists in a game playing a little under a usual starters minutes. He will be able to distribute like a true point guard. I think by his senior year he will put together one of the better seasons we have seen in a PG in some time at KU. He will take some shots that have us screaming at the tv but he will also make some shots that just crush teams. I see daggers, he will be our assassin that we truly missed this year.

We had really passive guards this year in Releford, Johnson, and our young guys. Tharpe may have had some growing pains but he has ice in his veins and does not mind being the goat or the hero.

If Greene, White III, or Frankamp can make some 3's to stretch the defense some, Tharpe is going to have a lot of layups or easy dishes for baskets by our forwards/centers in the paint.

I really like who we got coming in, i like the 2, 3 and 4 year guys the best myself. I think we recruit the right kinds of pieces and kids and next year once they can play D-1 defense we will be a dangerous dangerous team even being so young.