Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bill Self OK that shot clock to stay at 35

Kansas head coach Bill Self erupts at a game official after Ben McLemore was whistled for a technical during the first half of the semifinal round of the Big 12 tournament on Friday, March 15, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

In somewhat of a surprise, the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee Thursday didn’t even vote on reducing the college shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds.

Most figured the issue would be addressed in an effort to increase scoring in games during the 2013-14 season. Instead, the clock remains at 35.

“I think they failed to come to a resolution that it would better our game,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday night.

He was in Indianapolis earlier this week to meet with the rules committee and attend other meetings as a board member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

“I think they (rules committee members) felt these other instances were more appropriate that can add more scoring to better our game rather than just trying to shorten the clock,” Self added.

One of the “other instances” passed for next season is interpretation of the charging/blocking foul. Starting next season, the defender will be prevented from sliding into the offensive players’s path at the last second.

“It’s more like the NBA rule when the ball is coming up into the motion to shoot ... that’s when the defender has to be set, whereas now (last season) he (defender) didn’t have to be set until he (offensive player) leaves his feet. So that will make a lot more blocks than charges,” Self said.

The rules committee will allow officials to use video monitors more in the final two minutes of games and in overtime. Late-game replays will be used to determine who should retain possession for a play out of bounds and for shot-clock violations.

“Going to the monitor like the NBA to make sure calls are right in the last two minutes in certain situations, not all, is a positive (change),” Self said.

Also, there will be an emphasis on calling fouls on defenders who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use their arms to stop an opponent from running by.

“All we are doing,” Self said, “is trying to do a better job of enforcing the rules the way they are because style of play has dictated how the game is called too much. I think you’ll see a lot of teams in the bonus early in the game early in the season until players get used to this.”

Scholarship offer: KU has offered a scholarship to Stephen Zimmerman, a 7-foot, 215-pound sophomore center from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, jayhawkslant.com reports. Zimmerman is ranked No. 2 in the recruiting Class of 2015. He also has received offers from Arizona, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, UNLV, Memphis, UTEP, Auburn and Florida State.

Dixon update: ESPN’s Jason King reports that the schools currently showing the most interest in former Missouri guard Michael Dixon are East Carolina, which Dixon has visited, plus Baylor, Colorado and Loyola Marymount. The former Tiger, who has been taking online courses since being removed from MU’s team in November, has been playing pick-up games in the KC area and has reportedly played in some open-gym pick-up games with the Jayhawks in Allen Fieldhouse. Sources say Dixon, a former Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West standout, has not spoken with Self about a possible transfer to KU.

Comments

Colby Hebert 11 months, 1 week ago

I too am excited for Tharpe to take over the point guard duties next year. He had nine assists in a game playing a little under a usual starters minutes. He will be able to distribute like a true point guard. I think by his senior year he will put together one of the better seasons we have seen in a PG in some time at KU. He will take some shots that have us screaming at the tv but he will also make some shots that just crush teams. I see daggers, he will be our assassin that we truly missed this year.

We had really passive guards this year in Releford, Johnson, and our young guys. Tharpe may have had some growing pains but he has ice in his veins and does not mind being the goat or the hero.

If Greene, White III, or Frankamp can make some 3's to stretch the defense some, Tharpe is going to have a lot of layups or easy dishes for baskets by our forwards/centers in the paint.

I really like who we got coming in, i like the 2, 3 and 4 year guys the best myself. I think we recruit the right kinds of pieces and kids and next year once they can play D-1 defense we will be a dangerous dangerous team even being so young.

BucknellJayhawk3 11 months, 1 week ago

Man, I hope we get Tarik Black. I'm worried about our front court- will we be able to score in the paint? We'll have some big bodies in Jamari and Embiid as well as Lucas but offensively this worries me because Perry may be the only one with the moves. Our backcourt doesn't worry me as much with plenty of guys to sub in and out.

Joe Baker 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Well knew Wiggins was near a decision. I just read an article a few mins ago tonight and it says he choses FLSt. His mother is coming from Canada and it's Mother's Day. I just have a funny feeling that he's choosing FLSt for his mom on Mother's Day. I would respect and think its nice, but he's leaving college with nothing. He'll leave his only year in college with nothing but having chosen his family's alma mater. Oh well, it is a sweet family moment.

I hope to be wrong, but was feeling pretty good with KU. Mother's Day just put a whole new perspective on his choice. I'll be the first to say, congrats FLSt and Hamilton better make the most of this kid's time. I just don't think they have a good year because the coach is average, team talent average, and conference is going to be fairly tough. I don't see FLSt doing much more than last year. He will get to compete against Parker.

I really thought he wanted to make a Canadian statement. Again, Naismith was Canadian, but your family pride takes precedence over national interests. Good luck Wigs and wish you the best. Thanks for considering KU.

Jeff Kilgore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

What I've never understood about the basketball clock is why it's needed at all. Figure out how long you want each period to be and make that the length of the half. Also, add a rule disallowing timeouts in the last 10 minutes of each half. Make each half an hour long. TV timeouts can come at each five minute mark. Damn, am I good.

jaybate 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Slayr,

The rule changes will trigger more foul calling early on drives, chucks and moving screens; this means the games will run longer; this will either make games longer, there will have to be longer whistle swallowing stretches to shorten the games back up. Avoiding this dilemma is why I advocated doing away with stopping the clock for violations and calling the game consistent with the rules.

William Blake 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm just all the buzz about Tharpe next year.

That guy has some serious X-axis talent. I believe he is just a minor tweak or two away from being a college stud.

He's going to come back next year and dominate.

Yes... Tharpe!

Hawk8086 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The fact that he is scrimmaging with our players does not necessarily mean anything. He is local and knows our players. There may not even be any consideration at all for him to go to KU. While I don't know what happened with Dixon, there must be some smoke there for Mizzou to let him go. On the surface, I would not be in favor of him playing at KU. But again, I don't know what happened at all.

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Michael Dixon's junior season stats: 13.5ppg, 3+ assists/game. The chance to "turn" a Mizzou player: Priceless! (Kim English has a lot to say about Dixon in the ESPN article from a couple of days ago...sorry, I dont have the link.)

monkeehawkSL8 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't know if the Jayhawks finished the year with the lowest defensive fg% in the nation, I believe they had it most of the year. I found watching games last years physically painful. There seemed to be multiple possessions a game where the Hawks played that smothering "tell me what kind of gum he's chewing" defense only to give up a shot at the 34.879sec mark. Sometimes resulting in a bucket or an offensive rebound for the opponent. At first glance I thought that a shorter clock might have a positive effect/affect on this.

I don't know M Dixon, I am a fan of 2nd chance life altering changes of heart and character. If the young man can ball, handle the ball, dish, make sound decisions and is willing to buy in, seeing the former "moger" waive the wheat would for me, be a feel good Jayhawk moment. I will now duck and cover. PULL!

1timbob 11 months, 2 weeks ago

They need to change the shot clock, too many teams slow it down! If they speed up the game, this favors Ku,UK, Unc,Duke etc. There wouldn't be as many upsets in March. Speed up the game and KU as a better shot at winning more titles!

seventytwohawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The comment 'we have enough rules to govern play, we just need to make the calls according to the rules we have' harkens to the idea that 'we have all the laws we need, but the enforcement arms of the respective government entities need to enforce the laws on the books instead of the esp. FED government promulgating new laws which consistently endanger the few freedoms we 'subjects' still maintain. In watching some of the last week or so of the NBA playoffs, it appears that the Powers-That-Be want the series to go as long as possible and the underdog teams to do as well as possible. They are attaining this goal through their minions the referees. Some of the calls against the Spurs and Thunder (or no calls) are so obvious that they scream at us. I really have no dog in the fight, am not a gambler, but do enjoy how the Spurs play the game and how Collison can help the Thunder in a myriad of ways. The referees have the ability at all levels to affect style-of-play, pace of the game, availability of impact players at crunch time, and and thus determine to a great extent the outcome of the game. Jaybate's example of 'swallowed whistles' obviously favors the more physical and less deep team over the deep, finesse team. Sports Illustrated featured an article last year which sought to discover the reason home teams won such a high percentage of their games. Basically, it came down to the crowds' influence on close plays at the end of the games, and also how the game was called from its inception. Given this proof as to the power of officials to determine the outcome of almost any team game (especially if the teams are even closely matched when subtle influences have profound effect), is it a stretch to think that other, either overt or covert, influences, maybe less benign than a home crowd, can cause the officials to act to influence a game? And, if so, this knowledge becoming wide-spread could cause a disenchantment and cynicism among that sports fans which could lead to the exodus millions of adherents and the loss of a great portion of one's recreational options. If basketball were to go the way of Boxing and Olympic Diving and Figure Skating in which outcomes are frequently predetermined it would leave all of us with much to regret.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 2 weeks ago

AW3 may start at the start but Mean Greene will finish at the finish....this kid may be the most under-rated recruit of the 2013 Kansas Class.

At the very LEAST, he will push AW3 hard because Andy will know that it will be a close call between "prime time' and "pine time" if he doesn't produce!!!

Hawk8086 11 months, 2 weeks ago

One thing that AW3 has going for him is that experience counts in Self's system, maybe more so than in others. The returning guy seems to have a huge advantage over the new guy. History would suggest that AW3 has the edge. I have assumed a starting spot is his until someone takes it away from him. I missed Self's comment about his ball handling, but it makes sense. I agree, there will be a lot of competition at that spot. I hope you are right about the double digit scoring, but I am not counting on it. I believe the offense will be carried by Ellis (boy will he be the focus of everyone's defense), Tharpe, Selden. The rest will chip in as they earn playing time. I think their scoring will be fragmented as I believe that the guys you mentioned will all be close. One thing we have seen in the past, that it is always difficult to predict which freshman will step right in and play as if they have been in the lineup forever. Who knows.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Ok, maybe a better topic.

The battle this fall that will be most intriguing to me (so long as we don't get Andrew Wiggins -- I can only hope that we don't) is AW3 vs. Brannen Greene vs. Conner Frankamp for the 3rd perimeter starting spot.

Most I think/assume that it will be Tharpe and Selden at the other two spots.

Personally, I think AW3 is close to a lock. If not, he might have considered transferring. But most know my AW3 bias here.

What concerns me about AW3 is not AW3 .. but that there may be something about his game that Self doesn't like. He is a bit clunky .. meaning, he doesn't move smoothly on his toes. Kind of flat-footed looking. Makes him look odd on defense in particular. If there wasn't something that displeased Self, then there is no reason why the guy shouldn't have played more.

One thing that seems apparent is that both Greene and Frankamp bring better ball handling to the table. Self had commented that a reason why AW3 wasn't playing was ball handling. A kind of convoluted explanation that if he was going to bring in a perimeter player with that lack of decent ball handlers in the rotation, that he needed a ball handler coming in. Never made any sense to me. So that could play against AW3.

But I see a double digit scorer in AW3 next season. Thoughts?

jayhawkinATL 11 months, 2 weeks ago

7'0" and 215#...sure hope that weight is wrong. LOL

Robert Robinson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Leave the shot clock alone. Let them play defense. Thats my favorite part of college bball. College basketball doesnt score as high as NBA because they are kids! The best college players become pros. You want higher scoring? Talk to the NBA and ask them real nicely if they will stop picking the best players out of college

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Man! Tyshawn Taylor is likely having a MAJOR "what if" flashback about this charge vs. blocking change-of-emphasis needing to happen about 3yrs ago...Of course, the IowaStuck Clones still cant say nuthin...

William Blake 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd like Jaybate to comment on how these changes jive with his connection drawn between college officiating and network time slots.

During the Final Four I had a Euro friend visiting who wasn't a bball fan and he mentioned how well the game was structured around commercial breaks. Actually, he said it in a far more negative way then I presented it here.

Seems like the added emphasis on monitor calls helps throw in a zillion adds during the climax of a game... right when fans hold to the channel during commercial breaks.

Oh yeah... it's about the money. Almost forgot.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 2 weeks ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] They should set the shot clock at Pi......31.41.

2] Definitely offer to Michael, pair him up with Frank and, BINGO, Kansas has the only Mason/Dixon line in Division One!!

3] Let's see...a 7'-0"/215 lb high school soph, by the time he graduates, he'll be 7'-2"/230 and when he gets to Kansas and walks into Allen for the first time he'll magically become 7'-4"/260...yep, sign him up!!

4] Photo headline above.."HCBS makes ref cry while blasting blown call!"

5] Oh great.....the expanded video priviledges just added another 45 minutes to every game. Oh well, at least we'll get to see the same commercials 6 or 7 times as opposed to 3 or 4 times.

6] THIS JUST IN..Andrew Wiggins has eliminated Kentucky and North Carolina from his list!! ......well, not really..but, for a second, didn't it feel good!!??

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The worst part of any sport are the officials. It is a never ending saga. The arrogant, egotistical jerks that gravitate to officiating/umpiring are the ones that create the problems -- calls will be missed, things messed up, but its how its handled and dealt with. Will officials be willing to learn from their mistakes?

Like the guy who can't see a home run on replay, or simply won't reverse the call because he doesn't have to. He couldn't even admit he was wrong.

Try listening to a career official. Everyone else is the enemy and the official has to maintain "control." It will never change until governing bodies -- NCAA (and conferences that hire them), MLB, NBA, etc. will simply fire the problem officials. Just refuse to tolerate to egotistical jerks and supervisors that instill the attitudes that fight against change and improvement.

archercc 11 months, 2 weeks ago

LOL at the concept of Dixon coming to KU. He was one of the biggest whiners and isht talkers in the league. I cant imagine he would get a warm welcome.

Robert Brock 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Whew! At least they didn't go for the NBA's defensive three-second rule...

Janet Cinelli 11 months, 2 weeks ago

SO HAPPY!!! They didn't mess up the shot clock!!!!! It is a big factor in making the college game SO far superior to the NBA game. >>Happy dance!!!<<

William Blake 11 months, 2 weeks ago

When are they going to penalize flopping?

There should be some kind of penalty rule for attempting to fraud the refs. Their jobs are tough enough without fraud being involved.

How about a 2-game suspension for obvious cases?

Ron Franklin 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Dixon would be a great pick up from a pure basketball standpoint. But I just don't think it's the right fit, right now.

Brak 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Do you remember how long close games took to finish up due to all the fouling and timeouts called, now imagine the refs have more power to call more fouls and spend 20 minutes looking at the monitor to make sure they have every call right. I'm telling you right now with all those late Big Monday games we will be lucky to even see the 2nd half.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Rules. rules, rules! We were surely needing a much more broad interpretation of course. Sounds like the Fed Govt approach to daily life. Wonder if they'll stop some of the occaisional body slams & other various muggings also? Sounds like it will be sooooooooooo much more uniform now doesn't it? All replay consistently accomplishes is taking away momentum from any team in any sport, so that's really going to make regular season a lot closer to the dance & incessant tv timeouts. Advertisers can gleefully spend millions more with this aspect cleared up.Yep, they're improving the game by leaps & bounds-at least IMO-Blatant sarcasm intended.

Kit Duncan 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If hand checking is called more closely next year it would appear then that Jeff Withey was fortunate to graduate this year. Many of Jeff's blocks came after he "redirected" an opposing player's move to the basket by pushing the other player in the small of the back or hips area, when attempting to score on Jeff.

There is a lot of hand checking by most guards in the NCAA, and Kansas guards were as adept at it as any when attempting to slow down opposing players who attacked the lane.

I will find it interesting how closely the officials enforce this rule.

Cameron Schienebeck 11 months, 2 weeks ago

That new "Duke" Charge Rule could really affect a certain team. I won't mention which one.

FarSideHawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

So Disappointed. Was really looking forward to reading a story titled "Wiggins getting even closer to deciding" :(

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm glad that the NCAA chose not to change the shot clock. It will be interesting to see how do enforcing their "points of emphasis" this year. I distinctly remember that they labeled it a point of emphasis before last season to call more block/charge calls in favor of the offense, and it didn't make any difference because they still never called the blocking foul (even if they didn't call charging (@ISU)). Now they're changing the rule so that they can enforce the "tie goes to the runner" rule and generate higher scores and more interest in the game.

I doubt they will be able to enforce the "hand-checking" emphasis next year. Maybe then they will make a rule change for that, too.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"Sources say Dixon, a former Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West standout, has not spoken with Self about a possible transfer to KU."

Of course, it doesn't say whether Dixon has talked with anyone else on the KU staff.

KansasComet 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If Self offers Dixon, I'm good with it. If he doesn't, I'm good with it too! I like our team next year. I said we would be a top 5 team last year, and I am saying we will be a top 5 team this year. Oh yeah, I was told I was dreaming last year. So I guess I will keep living the dream. Go Jayhawks.

Conner Frankamp reminds me of Steph Curry. I do not like comparisons, but he has that type of game. He stays in attack mode, I hope no one ever takes that away from him.

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Dixon was a very good 6th man at mu. He had his chance to be a star and he blew it. I forgot that he was kicked off the team, and didn't know that he was transferring and don't really care, other than I hope that he doesn't end up in the Big 12, because I don't want us to have to play against him again.

jaybate 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's the unrestricted fouling and chucking for extended whistle-swallowing periods that has reduced scoring.

They have decided to fix this by favoring the shooter in a few blocking situations?

This is a flipping joke.

They should all be ashamed of themselves.

William Blake 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Love the photo. CS caught him picking a winner.

KEITHMILES05 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Bedore: Why bring Self into this? Do you have any reason to think he should be offered at KU? Quite frankly I'm shocked he is even allowed to be in AFH or the adjacent practice facility to play in any type of games. He's BAD news.

trustyourSelf 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think I want a former Missou player playing for us. I'm happy the shot clock is staying at 35

David Hall 11 months, 2 weeks ago