Monday, May 6, 2013

Former KU receiver Kale Pick joins Weis’ staff as Grad Assistant

Kansas receiver Kale Pick warms up prior to kickoff against Baylor on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

For the past couple of seasons he made a name for himself catching passes for the Kansas University football team. Now he'll attempt to teach others to do the same.

Kale Pick, who graduated from KU in December of 2012 with a degree in psychology, has been added to head coach Charlie Weis' coaching staff, school officials announced Monday.

Pick will serve as a graduate assistant for offense, replacing Matt Middleton, who spent one season with Weis and moved on to become the wide receivers coach at the University of South Dakota.

In his new role, Pick will work closely with KU wide receivers coach Rob Ianello, who also serves as Weis' recruiting coordinator.

A Dodge City, Kan., native, Pick spent the majority of his first two seasons at Kansas playing quarterback before finding a home as a wide receiver. He was the Jayhawks’ top pass catcher in 2012 and concluded his career with 63 receptions for 752 yards and two touchdowns.

Comments

Jayhawk2016 1 year, 7 months ago

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I thought Kale Pick could have been a great successor to Todd Reesing if Mangino was his coach, and not Turner Gill and Chuck Long. What could have been...

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps, but I’m more inclined to believe Reesing was just a rare find. Pick had some fine ability, but Todd had the “it”.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 7 months ago

TG gave up way too quick on Kale. TG should have been fired after his first game as coach and Kale should have been given more than one game to show what he could do.

bigtex 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree 100% that Kale got jerked way too quick. I believe Kale completed 13/15 passes in the first half, then had one interception in the second half and was benched, I have never seen that at any level of football. I heard Kale and Long never seen an eye to eye about the quarterback positions philosophy. Pick was recruited because he could throw on the run and use his dual threat athletic ability. Long was wanting his quarterbacks to stay in a pocket like he did at University of Iowa.I really like this kids attitude, never once heard anything bad about him. I heard his work ethic and toughness is second to none. Knee injury in the second game last year was nasty looking but played through the season with it. Glad to see him on KU staff !!!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't recall hearing about the knee injury.That would explain a lot.

I do recall the comments during the "Gridiron" episodes about him leading the team in pancakes. Gotta love that in a WR. Would have been even better to see that from a QB!

Chris Bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah I agree. He never had a real shot at QB. And without a doubt Gill should have been fired after 1 game. He is the worst coach I've ever seen in major college sports.

Kent Wells 1 year, 7 months ago

Worst. Quarterback. Name. EVER!

He should have moved to corner...

Great to see his addition to the staff!

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 7 months ago

Can you imagine what Pick would have done at K-State in Snyder's system. He would have been Collin Klein, only faster. Pick was a four-star recruit at QB. If we can't take talent and at least reach expectations we are sunk. To exceed expectations would be nice. I will feel better if Belldozer becomes a nomer for Bellsnoozer and he spends four years at OU riding the pine. [Sorry, I don't follow notable Kansas recruits once they leave the state.]

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

I like this move. I can see Pick being a really good coach for us.

PSM 1 year, 7 months ago

Is he gonna teach our WRs how to not catch a TD pass?

Chris Bailey 1 year, 7 months ago

Come on really? I bet he does a heck of a job!

Jonathan Briles 1 year, 7 months ago

Pick would have had a TD if Crist had not missed him while he was wide open. That was just one play and I'm sure there were others. Pick ran great routes, had great hands, and understood what to do when the ball was not in his hands. He was not the gifted athlete that some WR's are, but I think he will be excellent at teaching the ins and out of the position.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey....it was kind of funny.

And be honest. There's a hint of truth in PSM's statement.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm actually surpised he didn't decide to try for the NFL.

I mean after all, Dayne Crist thinks he's an NFL quarterback. Bradley McDougald was an average cornerback on a 1-11 team and thought he'd be a second or third round pick.

Heck, while we're at it, maybe Brady Morningstar should be starting point guard for the Bulls.

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

McDougald was a safety, and he was 2nd team All Big 12 according to the coaches.

Can’t understand why you want to rag on kids for believing they can play in the NFL. Especially KU kids. Are you going to insult every KU player who doesn’t break records and get drafted?

VaJay 1 year, 7 months ago

KG - I was just going to pile on here & add my two cents, instead - I hit the "thumbs up". Well said.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

If you're a quarterback with the name Cale Pick you have already started life with two strikes against you.

1] I don't know anybody whose first name could be mistaken for a leafy green vegetable if you switched the C and the K..or any vegetable for that matter.

2] Pick is probably the worst last name for a quarterback, unless any of you know a "Joe Interception", a "Bobby Sack" or a Tommy "Fumbledsnap."??

3] As pictured above, playing without a helmet while listening to tunes could interfere with your concentration and put your health at risk.

4] You know things are bad when you come to the Kansas Football site to feel better!! :)

Xen 1 year, 7 months ago

I will agree with VaJay and KG. I think the kids deserve to try for anything they have their hearts set on. What is the harm in dreaming? And as soon as those of you who choose to put these kids down show us your resume listing your colligate and professional athletic accomplishments I will then say you have every right to bag on them. Until then try to remember when you were a kid and had dreams.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

I continue to be not surprised, but disappointed in how virtually every story/topic that appears on this site brings out so many negative thoughts/comments. All of the "he should have", "he could have", "didn't do this or that", "he was terrible" ~ so much looking backwards.

Ah, good old human nature just impossible to resist.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

That darn jackdavid....he could have posted a much funnier response laced with irony. But he didn't do that, although he could have. I am truly disappointed and have little hope he will improve with practice!!

My human nature dictates a glass half empty with a hole in the bottom!!

[Insert friendly sarcasm icon]

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

PS Point well taken, my friend...everybody needs to chill out a little bit!! :)

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Oak ~ Your right, I could have, but dang it, the situation (and voluminous negativity) just wouldn't allow my thoughts to be laced with anything other than disappointment this time.

However, I do regret that I have caused you true disappointment ~ and will commit to attempt to "improve with practice".

Keep the faith ~ and the hope ~ brother. ROCK CHALK

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Just makin sure people are still reading football articles.

Thanks for the response. Part of what makes my job on this site enjoyable is igniting people to come to defense of their football program, which by all accounts deserves no such justification.

One of the many reasons why I love KU and KU fans. Even in the most dire of circumstances, they come out of the woodwork to take a stand.

I tip my hat to KG and those who share those same sentiments.