Monday, May 6, 2013

Former KU receiver Kale Pick joins Weis’ staff as Grad Assistant

Kansas receiver Kale Pick warms up prior to kickoff against Baylor on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2011 at Kivisto Field.

For the past couple of seasons he made a name for himself catching passes for the Kansas University football team. Now he'll attempt to teach others to do the same.

Kale Pick, who graduated from KU in December of 2012 with a degree in psychology, has been added to head coach Charlie Weis' coaching staff, school officials announced Monday.

Pick will serve as a graduate assistant for offense, replacing Matt Middleton, who spent one season with Weis and moved on to become the wide receivers coach at the University of South Dakota.

In his new role, Pick will work closely with KU wide receivers coach Rob Ianello, who also serves as Weis' recruiting coordinator.

A Dodge City, Kan., native, Pick spent the majority of his first two seasons at Kansas playing quarterback before finding a home as a wide receiver. He was the Jayhawks’ top pass catcher in 2012 and concluded his career with 63 receptions for 752 yards and two touchdowns.

Comments

Reuben_J_Cogburn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Just makin sure people are still reading football articles.

Thanks for the response. Part of what makes my job on this site enjoyable is igniting people to come to defense of their football program, which by all accounts deserves no such justification.

One of the many reasons why I love KU and KU fans. Even in the most dire of circumstances, they come out of the woodwork to take a stand.

I tip my hat to KG and those who share those same sentiments.

Jack Jones 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I continue to be not surprised, but disappointed in how virtually every story/topic that appears on this site brings out so many negative thoughts/comments. All of the "he should have", "he could have", "didn't do this or that", "he was terrible" ~ so much looking backwards.

Ah, good old human nature just impossible to resist.

Xen 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I will agree with VaJay and KG. I think the kids deserve to try for anything they have their hearts set on. What is the harm in dreaming? And as soon as those of you who choose to put these kids down show us your resume listing your colligate and professional athletic accomplishments I will then say you have every right to bag on them. Until then try to remember when you were a kid and had dreams.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you're a quarterback with the name Cale Pick you have already started life with two strikes against you.

1] I don't know anybody whose first name could be mistaken for a leafy green vegetable if you switched the C and the K..or any vegetable for that matter.

2] Pick is probably the worst last name for a quarterback, unless any of you know a "Joe Interception", a "Bobby Sack" or a Tommy "Fumbledsnap."??

3] As pictured above, playing without a helmet while listening to tunes could interfere with your concentration and put your health at risk.

4] You know things are bad when you come to the Kansas Football site to feel better!! :)

Reuben_J_Cogburn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm actually surpised he didn't decide to try for the NFL.

I mean after all, Dayne Crist thinks he's an NFL quarterback. Bradley McDougald was an average cornerback on a 1-11 team and thought he'd be a second or third round pick.

Heck, while we're at it, maybe Brady Morningstar should be starting point guard for the Bulls.

PSM 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Is he gonna teach our WRs how to not catch a TD pass?

Boouk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I like this move. I can see Pick being a really good coach for us.

Jayhawk2016 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I thought Kale Pick could have been a great successor to Todd Reesing if Mangino was his coach, and not Turner Gill and Chuck Long. What could have been...