Saturday, March 30, 2013

Notebook: Michigan’s Mitch McGary on low blow: ‘It was intentional’

Kansas players Kevin Young (40) and Elijah Johnson collapse over Michigan forward Mitch McGary during the first half on Friday, March 29, 2013 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Box score

KU-Michigan

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after loss to Michigan

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 87-85 overtime loss to Michigan on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford, Jeff Withey

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk briefly on the podium following the Jayhawks' 87-85 overtime loss to Michigan on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Michigan coach John Beilein, Trey Burke, Mitch McGary and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Michigan coach John Beilein and playersTrey Burke, Mitch McGary and Tim Hardaway Jr. talk to reporters following the Wolverines' 87-85 overtime victory over Kansas on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

— Michigan’s Mitch McGary was a bit surprised to get whacked in the groin area by Kansas’ Elijah Johnson in the opening moments of Friday’s overtime victory over the Jayhawks.

“I didn’t know Elijah played like that. I don’t know him or anything. I was just setting a screen for Trey (Burke) and he came up and whacked me right in the crotch. He used his fist. He dropped me,” McGary said of what was deemed a flagrant one foul.

“I was in the fetal position. I was waiting for him to blow the whistle and they did. I was like, ‘Check the monitor.’ And they were like, ‘He was just cutting for a screen.’ And I was like, ‘No, check the monitor.’ It was intentional.”

Johnson said it was not intentional.

As far as coach Bill Self’s take: “I didn’t see it, but obviously the official said he did it, so he did it. The film doesn’t lie. That’s not how we play. And that was not smart at all. And then he has a bad second foul and a charge (playing three minutes total the first half), when all he had to do was stop and shoot it. The third foul he plays for 15 seconds and gets that one. We played pretty well the first half considering our starting point guard didn’t play at all. The second half he did some good things making shots. I know he wishes he had a couple of those possessions back.”

KU coach Bill Self on Ben McLemore’s decision whether to turn pro or return to KU for a sophomore season; most mock drafts believe McLemore will turn pro and be taken in the top three: “We’ll talk about it,” Self said. “We made the decision a long time ago to wait until after the season to talk about it. It’s after the season now, but there’s nothing to be spoken about this weekend. I’ll support whatever direction he and his family want to go. He needs to explore. He needs to look into doing what would be potentially great for his family. If it’s the right time he needs to go. If not he should stay. We’ll discuss it,” he added not sure when any decision would be announced either way.

Former KU standout Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics had a pair of twitter posts about the Jayhawks on Friday:

Predicting big things for Ben McLemore tonight in a Jayhawks win #rallycry

Our most significant opportunities will be found in times of greatest difficulty. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Several members of KU’s basketball Pep Band are part of the KU Wind Ensemble that performed a world premiere of a new symphony Tuesday night at Carnegie Hall in New York. The ensemble boarded a bus in New York shortly after the performance and arrived Wednesday night in Lawrence. The group flew from KC International to Dallas on Thursday. Then, after playing for the Jayhawks this weekend, they will return to Lawrence to perform the Midwestern premiere of the symphony Tuesday night at the Lied Center.

Here are the musicians who made both whirlwind trips: Marina Hague, Philip Kaul, Colin Lohrenz, Stephen Meiller, Michael Solomon and Amber Thoennes.

The future: KU loses seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young to graduation. The Jayhawks will be bringing in a five-player recruiting class of 2013: No. 25 Brannen Greene, 6-7 small forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga.; No. 26 Wayne Selden, 6-5 shooting guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 31 Conner Frankamp, 6-0, combo guard, Wichita North; No. 37-ranked Joel Embiid, 7-0 center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla.; and No. 134 Frank Mason, 5-11 point guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va. KU has one schlolarship left to give, two if, as expected, Ben McLemore heads to the NBA. And more if anybody elects to transfer.

KU is still in the running for No. 1 ranked Andrew Wiggins, 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Comments

Miguel Colón 1 year, 4 months ago

I think what Elijah did tonight was horrible and is not what we at Kansas do! Bill is so loyal to his seniors and it always bites him on the backside. Remember the tourney run when Sherron was running out of control and he wouldn't sit him? I hope these recruits carry themselves like the rest of the players and not like a thug.

PakaRocks 1 year, 4 months ago

I've talked with a few buddies since EJ's crotch shot... In the hundreds of games we've all played... not a single person can recall a low blow like this. It's hard to believe that EJ did this on purpose. I don't recall seeing anything in his four years at Kansas that would suggest this kind of play. Looking at the replay though... it's hard to view this as unintentional.

Jake Waddle 1 year, 4 months ago

Can't get over this loss and the only thing to make it feel better is to think about next year. McLemore is gone for sure and he deserves/needs to go, and we have a transfer. (Lucas or Adams, not sure which one), so filling 3 more scholarships this late is going to be pretty tough. I'd be very surprised if we got wiggins but fingers are crossed. Early starting lineup for next year: PG- Tharpe, has blow-by quickness and his shooting was a good addition this year SG- Wayne Selden, freak athlete with a good looking stroke SF- Andrew White III, Championship teams need an elite shooter, can he be the guy??! potential! PF- Perry Ellis, He is going to be Marcus Morris Jr next year, Self's offense is MUCH more deadly when a big man who can shoot 3's is catching that reversal at the top of the key out of the break, Ellis' range will allow him to spread the D, and his post game was great the last month of the season C- Traylor or Embiid, Traylor isn't a true C, but not sure if Embiid can come in and start right away (haven't seen enough of him yet) Traylor is a good athlete and can be a Kevin Young for next year's team except with more offensive skills.

This one hurts but VERY happy to see FOUR seniors graduating... even with EJ's bonehead plays, I'm happy to see he stuck out the tough times and didn't bail early in his career. Young guys should take notes from him.

Michael Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

lucas ain't gonna transfer. he's a stud. he'll be the starting C.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 4 months ago

KU will likely struggle next year relying on youth. Without Withey and Releford you lose two outstanding defensive players and Self's teams win most games because of defense. There are only two players with meaningful minutes (Tharpe and Ellis) returning. We witnessed first hand what happens when you rely on talented freshman with little veteran leadership, i.e., Kentucky. May want to be excited about the new recruiting class, but high school players ratings are based primarily on offensive abilities, and most know little about playing team defense. Next year will be as bad as this year (again no NC) probably worse.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Next year will be as bad as this year?

You've got to be kidding, right?

30 plus wins. Conference title. Sweet 16.

That's a terrific season.

That's a wonderful season.

KU struggle next season?

Well, of course KU should struggle next season.

Every new season is a struggle.

Will it have as good of a season as this team?

I cannot imagine how it could happen.

But then I could not imagine how this team, starting a point guard with one knee, a 185 pound power forward, a bean pole for a footer, a power forward that left the team because of 4 concussions, a 5 star recruit that could not play effectively till the last week of February, and a backup point guard that not keep from being blown by, could turn into one of the best defensive teams I ever saw playing an utterly weird spread High Low offense.

Nothing is written.

Nothing.

741hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

But where is your game analysis, Ol' Sage?

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks for keeping it positive Jaybate. It's difficult after a hard loss to appreciate the season, but theses kids are special. Not every team wins 30 games. Indiana didn't and they had a great season. Conference champions.

Beate Williams 1 year, 4 months ago

Right on point Jaybate. I really don't understand some of our fans, in what universe do they exist?

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree with you 95 percent of the time, but the knee excuse doesn't explain a lot of the dumb decisions made by the player.

I don't think JHawk241 understood your post. Of course, you've not only made a lot of friends, you've made a few enemies who will disagree with anything you write. Keep it up. You obviously know a lot of BB.

planojayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Well stated about the achievement of this season!

So many KU fans are so brain dead and unrealistic that we have to win the NCAA Tournament champion every year to consider success, or else we failed. They call it March Madness for damn good reasons. It is so unpredictable that many times the best team did not end up to be the team last standing.

Having said that, the way we lost the game last night hurt, and yes, EJ played terrible down the stretch. I love and respect EJ for what seems that he truly love and proud to be playing for Jayhawk basketball, but let's call it for what it is, he is not a true PG, and so he was being exposed last night, and on top of that, there is no excuse for him to make so many boneheaded decisions, especially the last 5 min.

If it was truly intentional, that hit to groin was totally uncalled for, and absolutely classless act. That is absolutely not Kansas basketball. Yes, we should play physical and rough up the other team to give us the best chance to win the game, but not with intentional hit like that. Unbelievable on EJ's part for doing that!

During the game last night, even with us ahead by double digits and pretty much in command of the game, I kept having a feeling something was not right. I kept on seeing a tired team without the usual high energy when the Jayhawks was dominating defensively in past game.

Personally, as a Jayhawk fan, I got my enjoyment not just by seeing them winning games, but seeing how these young kids (many of them have been growing up in very troubled env) grew as a person through Coach Self and KU, and how Coach Self has been able to keep molding any team into achieving to be considered very successful seasons in majority of D1 basketball programs every years.

Next year with so many new kids with very good talents coming in and with some of this year freshmen, I am already looking forward to enjoy the exciting ride, once again, with Jayhawk basketball.

Kent Kossoy 1 year, 4 months ago

And the same was said last year with TRobb and Tyshawn leaving. Only issue remains is a point guard without turnovers!!!

Greg Lux 1 year, 4 months ago

Has not been made yet.... Remember Tyshawn's dumb passes? But at KU anything is possible .. I do think Tharpe is going to be very good thought.

Rock Chalk

JHawk241 1 year, 4 months ago

If you can't see that we had a good year, then I feel bad for you. Are you ever happy? You probably yell at your kid if they come home with a B. Go away loser.

JD Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

If this was a bad year, then what the heck is a good year? Some KU fans never cease to amaze me or should I say the public in general! Wow...

nostradavid 1 year, 4 months ago

Most guys cover their crotch when they set a screen. Mitch was just getting started on his flop fest. He must be studying dramatic arts.

Puns are the highest form of literature.

Puns are the highest form of literature. by nostradavid

Stu Van Gorp 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree. Unless Mitch's plumbing is anatomically inverted, the shot was too high to "drop" a real man. The only thing low enough to affect the score, the referees' judgement calls, a team's honorable reputation, and hopes for this deserved KU NC was one particular player's apparent I.Q.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 4 months ago

Then why did he close his fist? I am really, really trying not to explode on these boards...I did that in the car when I was alone.

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

It was a flop, no question in my mind.

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes! Ya! Yep!

Johnson obviously meant to punch him in the groin, but he didn't punch hard enough to cause the reaction that occurred. Mitch is a flop artist who applied his skills to this light tap on the balls. The refs had to call it after looking at the replay, but God was good and Mitch missed his free throws.

JD Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

I've seen zero history of Elijah ever being in the rack business and coupled with the fact your crotch should be protected when setting a screen, my initial and steadfast reaction is Elijah was running through the screen like any time any other pick was set.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 4 months ago

IF it was intentional on EJ's part, I wonder what could have made him do that less than 2 minutes into the game? I mean, did McGary do or say something to provoke him? Either way, if it was intentional, there's no need for that at KU or anywhere for that matter. EJ is a senior and should know better than to stoop to something like that. Then again, he should also know not to make bonehead turnovers at this stage in his career either.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

The moving screen frustrated him. They were moving on their screens and holding blocks like they were offensive linemen. I'm not excusing EJ, he should have known better. But I'm sure he was frustrated.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Thank you jhox. I saw many moving screens all year. I have no idea why the refs allowed it so much. I watched the replay over and over of the moving screen on McGary, not protecting his crotch as you are taught over and over in bball as a screener. You always plant, cover, and stand still. I saw McGary move on his screen. EJ was simply trying to slip the screen by making inadvertent contact with his hands. You have a natural reaction to slip a screen by positioning your hands against the screen. EJ tried to lift his right arm to provide some distance between him and McGary. McGary failed to set and EJ slipped the screen, raised his arm, and caught him in the crotch. It was completely accidental and inadvertent. EJ apologized for the dunk against ISU. If EJ said it was inadvertent, it was accidental. McGary made way too much out of this. Accidents happen all the time on the court and we don't see half of the "cheap shots." This was blown way out of proportion and McGary is terrible for claiming this was intentional. He failed to protect his privates and half way deserved that shot. EJ did not intentionally hit him. Thank you EJ for your play at KU. You're a great guy and wish the best for your future. EJ made some really bad choices, but this incident is not his fault.

Sam Constance 1 year, 3 months ago

Not only did McGary move on the screen, but he moved both of his forearms over to the side, putting them into Johnson's body as he tries to go around the screen.

I'm not going to defend Johnson's behavior on that play. While I don't think he closed his fist, I do think that it looks somewhat intentional--almost like he thought he would run through the screen and just be lazy with his arm control and if he happened to hit the guy in the nuts... so be it.

That being said, if McGary is setting a proper screen instead of committing a foul on Johnson (yes, it is a foul to put both of your arms out to the side and into a player's body while you are setting a screen), then Johnson can't hit him in the junk.

Personally, I think Johnson had run through screens that ended with him getting a couple forearms in the body a few times and thought to himself "the next time they set a dirty screen, I'm going to be less careful with my arms as I run around it.". Unfortunately, his thinking that, also made him think too hard about how to "accidentally" hit McGary in the midsection.

goliac492 1 year, 4 months ago

It was intentional and a punk move. Karma is a -----! Nice loss EJ! McLemore you are the problem with the NBA now adage. Unskilled but talented young players who chase the money only to ride the bench!! Good luck kid! Ride well.

90sHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

HAHA! McLemore is the problem with the NBA?! Please, do tell how that is. Pretty sure Bmac is playing by the rules set forth. THE NBA is the problem with this rule, not Ben McLemore. Don't be a fool.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

You're funny and a complete troll. I think just the opposite is true. It was a punk claim by McGary. He got what he deserved for not setting the screen properly. Then he cried to the ref like a big baby. They win and he still cries. I give the guy an oscar for best drama player. He over reacted and sure it stung a bit. A real big man should take it, suck it up, and play. He's the biggest 6-10 sissy freshman I've seen. He has a lot to learn. Plus he had a great game, so why is he still complaining? He'll get "punked" like this many times and let's see if he learns to take it like a man or cry like a baby for his mama's tit.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

Sure looked intentional to me. EJ just cemented his legacy with many sports fans with that stupidity. Indeed many/most of us will be talking about it many years from now. Next time we play Michigan, particularly at their place, signs will be made.

I've always been proud of being a KU fan, and this certainly won't tarnish that pride, but that pride has always been as much by the classy way in which our program is run, the way the young men carry themselves on and off the court. The Morris' tainted that just a little as did Tyshawn, but just a bit.

seanswind 1 year, 4 months ago

This is on Self.

EJs head was not in the game, he should not have had the ball at the end. I think Self was playing a head game with EJ and lost.

I'd have given the ball to Releford.

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree. Self relied on EJ, god knows why, all season, even though Johnson was an overall detriment to the team in most games. He's the only point guard I can remember who regularly cost the Jayhawks more than he gave them, but I guess seniors get to start every game regardless? Then when he did have a GREAT game (versus Iowa State), he still screwed it up with a classless dunk to put his name higher on the record boards. Childish.

I've trusted in Self a lot over the past few years, but his loyalty/friendship or whatever it is to someone who was never a good point guard (he was definitely good at the 2), especially in yesterday's game, is the definition of insanity (trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result) and cost us an easy trip to the Elite Eight.

It made me angry to see #15 in that game for even a second after his early stupidity, but lo and behold, I kept seeing a frustrated Tharpe (and Ellis) on the bench late in the game. Before the final play, I was yelling at the TV, "Releford or McLemore, Releford or McLemore. Anyone but EJ!" But Self gave him the ball again. Ridiculous coaching.

thmdmph 1 year, 4 months ago

This is probably the reason why top recruits turn down KU

90sHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Interesting take; I'd certainly not dismiss it. A top recruit turning down KU b/c they know they have a mountain to climb to crack the starting lineup b/c Self is too loyal to upperclassmen?

onetonhand 1 year, 4 months ago

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree that it should have been Releford. McLemore couldn't have brought the ball up the court, as he had a lot of turnover problems when trying to handle it.

seanswind 1 year, 4 months ago

It may have been slightly intentional - but it was equally punk for Michigan to whine to the refs - flop city. Hope they play Duke - we can all enjoy the flopfest.

nostradavid 1 year, 4 months ago

When will flop totals be part of the box score? We used to award style points from the stands when St. Louis Steamers goalie Slobo Ilijevski was in town. He would lay on the pitch like he was dying while his team caught their breath, then he would bounce to his feet - many times in every game. He was a great goalie and a good actor.

Check out this flop highlight reel ...

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice Slobo reference. Those Comets / Steamers games were the best, I miss them.

William James 1 year, 4 months ago

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

Chill fabio, and get a haircut

fansincewilt 1 year, 4 months ago

Keegan said it best, "a nightmare."

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

I have lost a ton of respect for Elijah for doing that.

But then I started to ask "is this what the game has come to"?

Is he only playing by the new rules of the game?

But if he is going to sit here and lie about it, and not take ownership for his bulls&*&, then all I can say is my concerns about his future well being have been greatly diminished.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I would have lost respect for him, but I never had any in the first place. He's always been about 90% brainless with a few fluke good games.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought it may have been accidental but the replays convinced me otherwise. Camera also caught EJ smiling a couple of times with his teammates a few times after Self addressed the team and what had happened was known. Not the reaction an innocent man would take to a flagrant 1 which was purely accidental.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Thank you nuleaf, for giving an accurate perspective on EJ. I'm so sick of people defending him at all costs.

Anyone who watched this year's team play regularly saw him do one dumb thing after another.

I will say that most of his dumb plays came this year; it wasn't so much an issue in the past because he wasn't supposed to be one of the leaders. But he clearly wasn't capable of handling the role he was handed for this season.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 4 months ago

EJ did it intentionally, and McGary did overreact and flop.

ollerfarm 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd flop too if EJ clobbered me in the naads. What a jerk, it most certainly should have been a flagrant 2 with ejection. If I'd been the coach, I'd have set him for the rest of the game, win lose or draw. Way it turns out, had Self benched the THUG ej, KU would be in the Elite Eight NO question. Glad to be rid of turnover. THUG. ej!

741hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

We probably would have won the game if EJ had been ejected. Too bad, he deserved it and we could have had a "W."

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 4 months ago

It pains me ALOT to agree with what you said. I was astonished at his nut cracker job. Then, MORE astonished Self placed him in the lineup towards end of the game. Say what we wish but EJ lost this game, pure and simple. Total, total bonehead plays. I am off the opinion now he had money riding on the game. Yeah, cuss me out but his actions portrayed a bought kid. He's been a mess a good part of the season and couple that with his smokes and he didn't represent KU BB one iota. Again, this pains me to say these things but reality is reality. I can't deny what has happened. At the end of the day I fault Bill Self for this catastrophe last night.

kadub6 1 year, 4 months ago

I will say this, though, McGary is full of you know what saying it was fist. It looked more like a grab to me. Definitely appeared intentional and I am in agreement that EJ tarnished his legacy with that play and the boneheaded plays down the stretch.

This team went as EJ went and over a 6 game span he was bound to stink up the place bad enough that no one else could pull us out.

hawkhoops 1 year, 4 months ago

I swear, after watching the replay, EJ took a shot first and his hit was second. I am probably crazy. I don't have recorded to watch but figure it will be shown again.

Like said above, he must be the only player that doesn't cover his crotch when setting a screen like that.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

Make no mistake, the EJ shot was intentional. The reason why McGary wasn't covering up is that it was an out of bounds play and Burke was rubbing his player off of McGary to receive the inbounds pass. Now that is a big difference in setting a screen in the backcourt when trying to free up the point guard to bring the ball up. In that case, the screener will cover up every time because he will be bracing himself for contact.

RockChalkGuy 1 year, 4 months ago

No mistake has been made, EJ's shot was not intentional. See what I did there? I wrote it, so it must be true. I'm omniscient and infallible in my assessment of this play and I am empowered to blast anyone who says otherwise.

To follow your example of describing what a player normally does in a given scenario, I will point out that a player will almost always tension and raise their right hand/arm as part of the natural motion to slip a screen to the left. This was a disastrous coincidence of events for KU, not a malicious attempt in the early goings of a game that KU was controlling.

tical523 1 year, 4 months ago

I used to love EJ when he was younger and thought he was going to be one of my all time favorites but he just became weird as he got older. He says all the "right" things in interviews but you can just tell something is off with the guy. Too many tough guy moments this year for EJ and he cost three of my all favorite Jayhawks, especially Kevin Young, another game in a KU Jersey and a chance for the ship.

miajhwk 1 year, 4 months ago

have a really hard time figuring that the low blow was intentional. what purpose could it serve? of course if you get hit in the junk by someone you will think it's intentional!

ej made some weird decisions again and I was really disappointed at first, but he's human and he's a jayhawk. basketball helps bring us together as jayhawks but there is so much more in life than just basketball. so let's stick together and move on to many more fun-filled seasons to come.

paul pierce's twitter comment makes me proud to be a jayhawk. i am just as proud today as I was yesterday. rcjh

jrbill67 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats to Withey, Young, Releford, Ellis, Tharp & Traylor for giving it their all. EJ needs to apologize to the entire team for his actions and he needs to own up to the intentional punch in the groin. By the way, he was rated the #6 PG in the country when recruited so he is a point guard. He just continuosly makes bad decisions and last night he made a lot of bad decisions.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

I totally disagree with your "apology" idea. You don't apologize for something that wasn't intentional. He owned up to the "dunk" thing against ISU. He's capable of owning up to his mistakes. He shouldn't apologize for something he didn't do on purpose.

A lot of trolls on the board after EJ's incident and KU's loss. Many are relishing the loss and kicking EJ in light of the loss. Nice...

hotrodm 1 year, 4 months ago

If you look at the replay of EJ's hand, EJ did not make a fist. If EJ was trying to hurt McGary he would have hit him with a fist and not an open hand. Sure there was contact to the groin, and EJ may have hit McGary to get through the screen, but I believe the contact was not intended to hurt McGary, but just a reaction to trying to get through the screen. Only EJ knows for sure. Either way this incident gives EJ and KU a bad name.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

LOL- You disagree and you're in denial? Please

Scott Smetana 1 year, 4 months ago

Was at the game. McGary is a $&@! He was a flopping, whining, fouling dirty player the entire game.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

And I wish he was on our team.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Not as dirty as EJ. Plus, he cleaned up nicely around the basket down the stretch to put us away.

thmdmph 1 year, 4 months ago

The "crotch game" that will done in infamy

Jerry Long 1 year, 4 months ago

You should all get of EJ's case. I thought it was very impressive the way he put Michigan on his shoulders at the end of regulation and the OT and delivered them the victory.

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

Your post is funny, but not today. It hurts too much.

kubballjunkie 1 year, 4 months ago

Not sure why everyone is so upset about the crotch shot. Stupid? Yes. Poor sportsmanship? Yes. But it had no effect on the game at all. McGary missed both free throws, and they already had possession so they gained absolutely nothing.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

Upsetting to me because it seriously damages KU's image. EJ made a couple really bad punk moves on national TV toward the end of the season that cast KU in a negative light.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 4 months ago

A lot of bad press in a KU uniform.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

If you think the reason that people are upset about it is because of the effect it had on the game, you are not just missing the point completely, you're not even in the same universe.

ferdthemooncat 1 year, 4 months ago

EJ did not intentionally whack McGary in the cookies. Those who know him know that makes no sense, and there was absolutely no reason or upside to doing so. It was early in the game and the refs had to establish order, but they were no more capable of seeing that play clearly, even on the replay, than any of the dozens of other questionable calls and no-calls that they blow in any game. Why, on this play, are the refs suddenly keen enough to discern "intent." Leave stupidity assessments to HCBS.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

If you couldn't see EJ's fist rear back, you're in denial.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

What EJ did last night (to McGary) was not any different than what he did at ISU with the dunk...pure lack of class!!! Selfish comes to mind too...put his teammates in a bind. Good riddance, punk!!!

Ethan Berger 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm glad the play the sport for class.... Do you get tea at football games?

Ethan Berger 1 year, 4 months ago

I was angry with the nut shot. But the dunk was nothing.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Hawk90, you shouldn't even be posting here if you don't think it's important for KU players to display class and sportsmanship.

For most of us, we've always been proud of the fact that KU's players exhibited more class than most. Sadly, that's been diminishing in recent years, and this play was the most classless of all.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Questions for the Referees and NCAA Supervisors of Officials:

I have refereed kiddie leagues and city leagues only, never the big time. Nevertheless the rules on screening and what is an illegal screen are not reputedly significantly different at any level of play as far as I recall.

I have made illegal screen calls and flagrant foul calls. I watched the replay the several times it was shown. What I saw was an illegal screen involving McGrary's hands grasping at and making sustained illegal contact with the chest and abdominal regions of Elijah Johnson and during this illegal screening involving a flurry of grasping and possible side of palm chopping, I saw Elijah Johnson try first to avoid, then deflect, and then finally initiate counter contact that appeared in self-defense with one contact appearing to occur about 4-6 inches below the waist of McGrary--a player 6 inches taller than Elijah Johnson. So: why wasn't a double foul called?

From the moment the referees swallow whistles on something like illegal screening with grasping and heel of palm chopping, then an a defender must be allowed to defend himself with similar leeway. If the player committing the illegal screen is 6-10 and grasping and palm heel chopping the chest and abdomen, there was no reason to expect a player acting in self defense to pause, measure the height of his response and modulate it upwards to accomodate the taller players height. The referees were condoning illegal play the moment they did not call McGrary for an illegal screen. If they were going to permit illegal screening then did they advise both teams that they were going to do so? If not, why not?

Further, how did the referees watch this replay several times and fail to identify and call the illegal screening that was apparently occurring before and during Elijah Johnson's act of self defense?

What we have here appears to be a blatant example of referees refusing to call an apparently illegal screen, not once in the moment, but with apparently willful intent after repeated viewings of the replay. How can this occur, if the referees are either competant, or impartial?

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

The illegal screen is non-reviewable. If you are reviewing a play and see another infraction you can't do anything about it.

Thanks for the rational assessment of the situation. I was trying to figure out what the arm motion was for. If McGary had been 6" shorter this never happens.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

They "failed to identify and call the illegal screening" by McGary because it didn't happen.

Complaining about the refs is for losers. The refs didn't blow KU's late 14-point lead, and the nation isn't seeing EJ's bad act through Jayhawk-colored glasses like those here.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

pepper_bar

First, I did a search of my post for your sited quote "failed to identify and call the illegal screening" and found you, my little troll, are the only alias of the two of us to have used it. Hmmmm, you seem a very incompetent site destabilizer. If you paid your money to a training class about site destabilization, then you deserve to get your money back. :-)

Second, if complaining about refs is for losers, why do coaches frequently challenge the referees play calling during the games? If I recall correctly, at least one of the two coaches winds up a winner, don't they? :-)

Third, calling attention to either possibly incompetent, or possibly inadequately impartial "refereeing" seems a virtue to me. Why doesn't it to you?

Fourth, what professional qualifications enable you to speak authoritatively about how the nation is, or is not, "seeing" EJ's attempt to fight through McGrary's apparently illegal screen and then getting a technical?

Have a great off season feeding of whatever bottom you favor.

Rock Chalk!!!

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

The quote: Next-to-last paragraph of your post above. I failed to add an [ed] to the quote, and I apologize since that confused you and you're apparently holding me to strict journalistic standards here, but otherwise it's a verbatim quote of you.

I could parse the rest of your post and respond point-by-point, but what a waste of time that would be.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Dylan,

Part 1

You claim certainty, so I will assume that you are correct that they cannot call another violation based on what is seen in the replay. Thanks for clarifying this point. It helps immensely.

Now, bear with me as I explore this just a bit further.

As I understand it, referees have leeway to look at anything they want in the replays that will help them arrive at a satisfactory judgement on the action and motivation of the action in question?

Based on my viewing of the replays and understanding of what the refs were trying to resolve, it was essentially impossible to analyse what EJ did independent of the context in which it occurred, because the ruling required an interpretation of EJ's intention in his act, not just what he did. Referees resort to replays not only to establish what physical event occurred, but the apparent motivation of the actor also in calls like this, do they not? The resort to replay is based on an assumption that the referee may have missed something that could alert them to what happened and to the motivations of the actors.

Let me give a wildly exaggerated example to make my point in this situation. If McGrary had cut EJ's head off with a machete and it had triggered EJ to involuntarily nut punch McGary as EJ's dying body fell to the floor, after which McGrary claimed to fall to the floor complaining of being nut punched, then one would expect the referees to rule, after reviewing the replays, that the nut punch was unintentional. On the other hand, if McGrary were whistling Dixie with a blindfold on, and EJ sneaked up on him with a jack hammer, placed the jackhammer on the blindfolded, Dixie whistling McGrary's right testicle, and unleashed its full force on McGrary's right testicle, then the referees would most likely find EJ committed a flagrant foul, perhaps even one worthy of ejecting EJ...even in the day and age when Jay Bilas reputedly claims referees limit the number of fouls they call and coaches coach their players to foul and apparently commit other violations, like, say, illegal screens, excessively to exploit that limit on foul and violation calling.

So: it seems to me that the events leading up to EJ's act do have quite a significant bearing on assessing what EJ did and his apparent motivation.

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

It's typical bureaucracy, don't look for it to make too much sense.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah, but some bureaucracies make exceptionally good sense. Why not this one?

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy." -Unknown by me

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Part2

What were the events immediately leading up to and even overlapping with to brief extent the action McGrary alleged EJ committed? Based on my recollection of the replays shown during the game broadcast, that would be the apparent illegal screening by McGrary, would it not? EJ was trying to fight through a screen that appeared to be an illegal screen, at least in my recollection.

So: it seems to me the illegal screening was not at all hopelessly locked in an inaccessible past never to have a bearing on what occurred, as your otherwise astute remarks at least suggest to me. The illegal screening seems to have a bearing on how things unfolded based on McGrary's request of the referees. The apparently illegal screening might even, I suppose, have a significant bearing on helping referees assess McGrary's possible motivations in raising the allegations of EJ's actions.

Finally, I wonder if I EJ,or Self, might have been within their rights to request the referees review the same footage to ascertain if there were illegal screening that should have been called?

Again, you seem quite knowledgeable of the rules of replay review, so perhaps you can and will clarify the above points I've made with regard to any further mistakes I may be making yet again. As a layman lacking such expertise, I will certainly welcome your expertise in this matter that I am interested in clarifying further.

Thanks for weighing in. It seems to have brought further clarity to the situation already and for that I am grateful.

Rock Chalk!

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

It is my understanding of the rule that only certain types of fouls are reviewable. If every play were under the microscope (reviewable) the game would turn into something similar to cricket with 2 day game becoming a possibility. Therefore, due to time restraints, not all plays nor all types of fouls are reviewable. I am not in defense of the rule. I do think common sense should factor in, but if you look at the play out of context, ignore the illegal screen, and watch his arm in slow motion with no real clue to intent (i.e. nutshot, pushing through, or completely involuntary) all that can be determined is F1 or F2. Didn't look severe enough for a F1. Too much crying and arm movement for a no call.

So in a nutshell, that's the ruling as I understand it. Doesn't make it right or me.

The only plays I know are reviewable are: F1, F2, three point shot, clock stoppage, shot clock violation, and I think you can see which player fouled. I'm sure there are more these are the one's I'm confident on.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

So: what you seem to be implying is that they did have to look at intent, if I understand you correctly and intent, say between a foul and F1, and between F1 and F2 would be almost meaningless if ascertained out of context. Further, it would not only be logical to look at context, but in this case essentially unavoidable, because the viewing of EJ's action occurred in the midst of McGrary's grasping hands. Inference: they had to have witnessed EJ fighting through the apparently illegal screen, and committing some act as part of doing so. And the reference to bureaucracy is essentially a casual remark by you characterizing referees as bureaucrats on and essentially irrelevant to their finding.

Further, if I understand this correctly, not only is foul and violation calling sharply limited to keep games from running too long, as Jay Bilas reputed;y said, but foul and violation review process is greatly limited to keep games from running too long. And so we are looking at regulatory system sharply compromised by under enforcement. And in this compromised environment, players are coached, as Jay Bilas reputedly said, to commit way more fouls and violations than can be called in pursuit of unfair advantage.

And so we have an apparent violation for a moving screen that is not being called in order to keep the game from running too long, but which also happens to constitute the context a referee requires to make a meaningful finding about motivation in an alleged nut punch by a player without a history of committing such flagrant fouls, alleged by a player noted for flopping.

Very interesting situation.

Maybe its time for the rules to be changed so the clock never stops when play stops.

Do this and every game by definition fits in the broadcast window.

In turn, the refs can call the games according to the rules.

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

The context led to F1 not F2

bureaucrats- Not the refs the NCAA

I do not stand in defense of the rule. It's just my understanding of the situation. If you take offense to the rules as enforced go get 'em. But I'm a dead end in the action department. I'm merely on here for entertainment and have no say so in anything relevant.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

I dont' read most of your posts. I totally agree. I don't want all the "good sports" on the board to think that I condone any behavior like this whether intentional or not. But, this is exactly what I saw too.
Funny but I didn't get to watch most of the game. I saw about 1-2 mins. I then heard about the "cheap shot." I immediately had images of EJ popping him unprovoked. But when I reviewed that one play, I was really disappointed in the flood of "good sports" that crucified EJ. It was unintentional and McrGary did a great job making his case. He had a great game and KU lost.
Karma as many are calling is interesting because guess what? If you really believe in Karma, what goes around comes around and McGary will get his one day. The day is coming and "karma" has a date with Baby McGary.

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

I think the only thing that was intentional was McGarys Flopped, I saw the replays many times just like everybody else did one view lookes like EJ may have hit him but he wasn't making a fist, the other view looks like EJ put a real good shoulder into him instead at any rate I didn't see anything that I thought was hard enough to drop a 6'10 250 pound man, plus he flopped a couple other times also. If that shot was intentional then Ej is , I don't want to say it, I'll get kicked off. Guess there's next year

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 4 months ago

Gort, when I was in my teens a 3 yr old kid moved from one person's lap to mine. I was 5'7"-140lbs @ the time the kid was small. I don't know if it was his knee, foot, whatever. It took the air out of my lungs, I yelled out, the best part was having my girlfriends father say "that little boy hurt you that bad"? If the contact is right it doesn't take much too make a statement. And if it wasn't "contact" that was some pretty quick thinking on McGarys part, "flop and yell to the ref's to check the monitor." We were on a run at the time and it killed it. Just a bad play in a game where we couldn't afford how it affected the game.

shelleysue 1 year, 4 months ago

I saw the replay time and time again too but I just can't be convinced that even EJ would do something so stupid and obvious. Things aren't always as they appear. I know EJ made some stupid mistakes but he can't take all the blame. It wasn't him alone who blew a big lead. And Self left Mclemore on the bench for being ineffective last week yet left a player on the floor who was hurting their chance to win. Not EJs fault. And regardless of what anyone says, when you have a three point lead and an opponent who's been draining ridiculous threes the entire half, foul someone and take away the three. There were a lot of mistakes made and I know it's easy to blame Johnson, but he didn't lose the game alone. Thanks seniors! You've given us some fun years. God bless.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 4 months ago

The shot was intentional, plan and simple. This was one of if not the most bizarre acts of aggression I have ever witnessed in a sporting event. Two minutes had not gone by when it took place. We do spend a lot of time talking about the class of Kansas basketball. It pains me that this will be associated with the program for along time. I saw EJ grab and physically throw a Michigan player out of the way after EJ returned in the 2nd half. The way EJ played was as if he were in some type of rage mind set. Whether this came from something said before or during the game, we may never know. When he returned before the half he immediately picked up a 3rd foul with intention. The places my imagination takes me thinking about this game and EJ participation scare me.

I am embarrassed for the program. I would like to apologize to Michigan, I also wonder how their remarkable freshman managed to get to the end of regulation with 2 fouls? Bottom line we lost.

If EJ's play was the result of hearing that KU "doesn't have a point guard"137 times it is still a strange way to act if that was his motivation. I hope it's understood I'm not hating here, my thought's and observation's are out of Twilight Zone type of confusion over what I witnessed last night.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I saw the shove. Thought that was foul #4. Apparently refs missed it. I then saw him run over McGary right before Burke hit the three. Only a no call because of time and possession. Tough game for EJ. He had quite a few of these this year. Tough coaching year for Bill. Had a senior laden team but not much in the way of leadership. Trusted his seniors too much if you ask me. He could have developed some more youth this year but chose not to. Nine in a row is great in his 10 years however we have also exited before our seeding in the NCAA's I believe 6 or 7 out of 10 years.

Raymond Wright 1 year, 4 months ago

And without EJ last year we don't make it to the NC game. What he did last night though, I have no words for other than dumb. But alas, it was a very fun year, 9th in a row. Coach Self with 500 and 300. The freshman. I love how many bitch about coach Self, but I guarantee he is a better coach than any of the coaches posting here.

Beate Williams 1 year, 4 months ago

Could not agree with you more Jaybate as I posted earlier on to another stream. Why would a player do this with the world watching? Why didn't McGrary protect the jewels as every player is taught to do when setting a screen? It was a flop and I think the refs gave in to Michigan and now all the loyal KU fans are trying to put all the blame on EJ without any real understanding of the situation.

Maybe I have missed it in previous games, but I have never seen the refs go back and review a play when an initial foul was not called. My collection is that the play was progressing and Michigan was able to convince the refs to stop play and look at the monitor. Maybe that's routine and I just don't remember.

McGrary beat up Withey all night and they bumped and slapped us around all night, still we should have won and would have won if we had been a bit more aggressive towards the end but that is not the purpose of this post. I think the refs had more to do with the outcome of this game than they should have had.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

Deleted... this situation was a little different than the example from the FGCU game.

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes. The referees missed a lot of fouls that Withey suffered at the hands of Mitch. They also didn't call at lot of the illegal picks he ran. But we lost the game. Stupid decisions and plays cost us at the end. Michigan was the victor in a game it did not win.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

EJ proved he's not an honorable competitor with the end-game garbage dunk vs. ISU, and he gets no benefit of the doubt for the crotch punch here. Quite clearly intentional, and fitting with his character.

For everyone postulating that McGary must have drama'ed it up, well, sure he did. Fellas, think back to when you've ever taken a surprise shot to the nuts. The first thing you're going to do is react strongly and negatively, even if you're able to shake it off shortly after.

Getting punched down there is simply not a common occurrence, not something McGary should have been used to.

onetonhand 1 year, 4 months ago

Go back to your own board. McGary flopped we got to see him do over and over.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I reluctantly agree with your post. People who say the nut check wasn't in EJ's character are blind by their allegiance. This one will sting for a while. Not because we lost... it was the way we lost. Embarrassing coaching job. Embarrassing singular senior player moments. Embarrassing team collapse. I love the Jayhawks and this team was fun to watch but this one hurts and for many reasons.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Overall you're right. EJ's incident wasn't the main fail. KU beat KU.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 4 months ago

Who knows what EJ was thinking. This whole year he has played like he lost his heart to play. What one game or 2 he showed something. I blame both EJ and Self. Come on coach when you see a player playing like that. You should do something. Knee problems or not. Yes, we all play the blame game when we lose. But even us couch coaches, could see there was a problem. Positive thing, we had a great year and won the conference outright without a point guard. And 31 wins, Wow. I say, next year can only get better. Sure our big loses are Releford's D, Kevin's spirit and the Big guy W showing up to play every night. But we will have true point guard or someone who really wants the job. The coach should have the younger guys playing KU basketball.

UMFan 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm not a big fan of trolling, but I was very curious to read the reaction to the "crotch shot". Good to see most KU fans here are sane enough to realize it was intentional. As for the deniers and whiners, one word: Karma. Sometimes you get what you deserve. Go Blue!

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm no Michigan fan, but your team played with a lot of heart last night and made a great comeback. Michigan was the better team last night. Congrats and good luck against Florida!

JD Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

Take it to Florida tomorrow.

ccurr 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm not a big fan of trolling either so I don't do it.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

Well I just wish Bill Self had taken notes from Bo Ryan how to beat Michigan since we've done it every time except once in the last 7 or 8 seasons. BTW, I am pulling for Michigan tomorrow. I live in SEC country now and those fans are intolerable.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Burke is quite a talent. Seems like a good kid too. Played the team game in the first half and when his team needed him to be a little selfish and make big plays at the end he didn't shy away from the moment and came up huge. Would love to have a leader like that running our team in the future.

Annette Lee 1 year, 4 months ago

If the refs have limited foul calls to expedite the game, why stop for a no call? I call this new world Philosophical refereeing. We call it "letting them play" or "play on".

CalBBaller 1 year, 4 months ago

The Hawks had a great season. Everyone would have taken their results at the beginning of the year. Self's coaching got them to play better than their collective talent would have suggested. I believe next year will be a good season but probably not a great season, but with Self and his staff coaching, maybe it will be better. However they need to have a strong point guard that can handle the ball very well and distribute it to the hot shooting players. Guard play definitely hurt the team this year - - especially when the opponent pressed or pressured in the late stages of close games. If they get a good ball handler, then the team will be alrignt in 2013-2014. Go Hawks!

BADGOAL 1 year, 4 months ago

Steve Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

Read this only if you know of Area 51, black copters and drones over your home.

Darth informs EJ that you will lose the game or win by 1. Time is up. " go away, didn't you get healthy on TCU?"

Tonight you will collapse.

I will not, rather get thrown out first than that.

Trying to create any reality that connects the dots and I am failing.

Stephan123 1 year, 4 months ago

My impression was, like fellow posters, that EJ was not the man to have in the game late as he was more of a detriment than an asset. After those three heartbreaking turnovers late in the second half , I would have pulled him. Freshman-like turnovers that gave the game away. Andrew White would have done better handling the ball. EJ was out of control. Even the coach could not reign him in during the last minutes. Golden opportunity spoiled by just horrific play by EJ. Nonetheless, he did the best as point guard as he could. Unfortunately, it was a sub-par performance all year.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 4 months ago

I just Self and a few coaches read these blogs. And I hope they understand what went wrong

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 4 months ago

And usually a point guard or team leader has how many assist per game?

Justin Kruse 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't understand how anyone can say that was unintentional? Making a fist and leaving it hanging at your side isn't how you fight through a screen. Also, if it was unintentional, don't you think there would have been some kind of reaction when the camera was on EJ. He knew what he did and he got caught. I don't think it was a flop either. Some of the most painful shots to gonads aren't always the hardest ones. It was embarassing and unfortunate.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Status

Wearing my most obnoxious Jayhawk shirt today. It hurts. But I'm still flying the colors. Win some LOSE some. We will be back. Next year will be fun with such a young team. Lots of talent. Could be a team that under achieves in regular season only to overachieve in the post season. I feel bad for all the seniors EJ, Jeff, KY and Trav. You guys were a lot of fun to watch over your career. Each of you had an opportunity to finish this game off. None of you did. It happens. I thank you for all you gave us fans to cheer about this year.

diegohawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Wish

I vote for a Michigan vs Wichita State final with Wichita State prevailing. I might be in the minority here but I want to see someone from Kansas when KU is out of it cut down the nets. I don't think that cheapens what we achieved in the past or what we'll achieve in the future. I also vote for a regular match up with the shockers. I also want to see Michigan represent each team they beat along the way as well as possible up until the final game as while they beat us I don't think they deserve to be champs this year.

MaudesKiD 1 year, 4 months ago

This Jayhawk team exceeded my expectations this year and today I feel like I've lost a good friend! But I'll be back to cheer them on next year . . . and all the years after! MCGary does deserve an academy award for all his FLOPS! I even noticed he would put his hands behind him as he got ready to FLOP.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 4 months ago

I know this about EJ's foul but wanted to say thanks guys for a great year. You had a great run and played beyond what most of us thought possible. I would vote Trav for best defensive player of the year , and couldn't forget the big guy W for his plays and blocks, and Kevin's spirit. Watch out next year because Bill will have us ready. Most of the freshmen are already to go. Still can't believe it is all over now, but enjoyed the ride they gave us.

johninkc1 1 year, 4 months ago

Not sure what game most of you were watching. I saw McGary set a pick and EJ went through the pick and hit him in the shoulder. I guess EJ could have taken his arm and removed it and them reattached it after he went through the pick. It was a flop pure and simple and it wasn't the only flop by Michigan. Don't really care about what Michigan fans think. The fab five was the original cheap shot team. I saw them live at the '93 Final Four. Glad they lost to UNC. Michigan whined yesterday and I will cheer against them no matter who they play.

RockChalkGuy 1 year, 4 months ago

This is great. It does a fantastic job of capturing how this was not intentional...unless, of course, you are following the school of thought that any and all incidental contact that occurs during games is automatically intentional and excessive.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

The delusion in Jayhawk Nation remains strong.

Bill Skeet 1 year, 4 months ago

It seemed like the officials stopped the game when McGary was crumpled on the floor. It didn't look like they saw the incident and didn't call the foul until reviewing the video.

I understand that F1 fouls are reviewable, but didn't think they could use reviews to call fouls that were missed.

If that were the case, there should have been an F1 on UNC when Withey was elbowed in the eye. That was clearly an elbow in the head on replay. But the officials missed it. Therefore, there was no foul.

Maybe I have the sequence wrong in my head. I don't have much interest in going back and watching that game again.. but it seemed like a double standard.

Greg Lux 1 year, 4 months ago

High or whatever he made a fist and did swing at the mans jewels. There is no place for that kind of player at KU. If HCBS would have seen the playback I hope he would have benched EJ for the game and looking back at the way he played it might have been a good thing in the end.But it's not about winning or loosing, and believe me I wanted to win as much as any KU fan. It's about standards and KU. We don't play that way EVER. In my opinion EJ is a thug who should have been kicked off the team at that moment. KU's integrity comes first always.

Rock Chalk

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

Bill Self: "We played pretty well the first half considering our starting point guard didn’t play at all."

Well goily jeepers, Mr. Bill, perhaps there was a reason for that.

tophawk87 1 year, 4 months ago

Elijah should apologize, its the right thing to do now....

Damian Glaze 1 year, 4 months ago

jaybate and everyone else that wants to deny that the contact was intentional can enjoy that conversation. It was. EJ is being disingenuous.

More importantly is the fact that that was what was on his mind to start the game. It had to be premeditated. What that means is he wasn't prepared to compete. Giving the benefit of doubt that gambling was an influence, I think his Plan A was to intimidate and show strength. And to be honest I don't think he was completely ready to compete. Don't know why, just know that true competitors WANT to compete and not intimidate with derilect behavior.

I love coach Self and think he is a master. But on this night his "project" senior taught him a lesson. On this night he learned that four years of attention and dedication to his (Self's) teachings that repeated lapses of poor judgement never go away. Bad shots, turnovers, and the nornal defensive breakdowns will happen; but the complete betrayal of being an athlete that wants to compete without taking a shortcut should be "coached out" of an individual after year one (two if he is really from a bad place mentally). Elijah took Bill for a four year ride that might be his most valuable investment ever.

In the end EJ let him and the team/organization down by that one shot at a point in the game that it meant nothing but what he is all about - and perhaps what KU basketball is about these days. I hope to never see it again and I hope well-coached KU players come to compete rather than intimidate or bully their way to wins.

Remember -- KU is a "great place to be... a Champion" - among other things.

ku_foaf 1 year, 4 months ago

If this was a bad year, may we have many more bad years!

Big 12 Champs, Big 12 Tournament Champs, 30 plus wins, Sweet 16. This was a great season.

Remember only 8 teams had better tournaments than us. Making the Sweet 16 is always an accomplishment.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Reload: calling Mr Frankamp, Selden, Greene, and Mr Embiid. Here's to another "bad" year. I sure hope our incoming players are "classy." They might get judged for either being too soft or "class-less."

Rock Chalk and can't wait to see these guys in the colors.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year, 3 months ago

We all want and hope KU wins the championship every year, and this year wasn't any different. I think we all had realistic expectations in not planning on it, but again, hoping for it. Michigan was such a tough loss because we HAD the game won. I'm not disappointed in the entire season. Another 30 wins and an NCAA record 4th year in a row is amazing. We weren't the favorite and for the most part, an underdog as a #1 seed. If you look at the dozen bracket pick em's on CBSSports.com, zero picked KU. Anything can happen, but again, I'm happy to say we're still the greatest program in college basketball. Next year will be absolutely crazy with all the new players, but hey, we've done it before. I love the talent on the upcoming roster, and pairing it with Ellis, Lucas and hopefully an improved Tharpe, things will be just fine. Will we win it all in 2014? Probably not...We could, but I'm just happy with continuing down the path that has been laid out... a historically good and reliable team. Rock Chalk

dhinkansas 1 year, 3 months ago

I think it did affect the game because the refs swallowed their whistles and stopped calling fouls on Michigan. And every time the announcers would gush how Michigan doesn't foul, I wanted to puke. They're in the Big 10 which is like football without pads. They were fouling of defense as much as Kansas...just not getting called for it.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 3 months ago

I was at the game and waited until last night to carefully check the game out. In the opening moments EJ was guarding a player away from the ball. That player shoved EJ into a blindsided pick set by McGary. Later McGary stuck his elbow out and hit EJ just has he came around him on another screen. Then EJ hit the ground under our basket as McGary got a rebound. I could not see if anyone did anything to EJ or not, but I think at that point EJ had enough. No, he shouldn't have reacted that way, BUT, did you see how quick McGary went down??? Any man knows a few seconds pass before nausea hits you like that. McGary realized he'd been hit and dropped immediately to catch EJ in the act. Much like some of the other flops. Watch the feet of Michigan players and you can see them jump their feet forward six inches during contact to sell the flop. When you get hit, your feet DO NOT go forward rather go backwards as your body goes backwards. I hope the refs watch for this cr*p in the final four. I don't like players who play dirty and refs who think it is their place to influence a game rather than just enforce the rules fairly and consistently throughout the game.

Sam Constance 1 year, 3 months ago

Replying to this comment to get this forum up higher on the Active Discussions list.

I too will not excuse EJ's decision to do what he did, but I think the scenario looks far worse than it actually was. As you say, anyone who has ever gotten clipped in the balls knows that the nausea and pain doesn't kick in immediately. Usually there's an initial shock of it happening, followed by an instant of wondering why it doesn't hurt more, followed by doubling-over pain. McGary came to play--and by that I mean he came to do whatever he could to gain an advantage.

As I said in response to an earlier post, if McGary is setting a proper, LEGAL screen on the play in question, Johnson's hand doesn't even phase him because McGary is protecting himself instead of sticking his arms into Johnson's body as Johnson tries to come around the screen after his man.