Saturday, March 30, 2013

Notebook: Michigan’s Mitch McGary on low blow: ‘It was intentional’

Kansas players Kevin Young (40) and Elijah Johnson collapse over Michigan forward Mitch McGary during the first half on Friday, March 29, 2013 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Box score

KU-Michigan

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after loss to Michigan

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 87-85 overtime loss to Michigan on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford, Jeff Withey

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk briefly on the podium following the Jayhawks' 87-85 overtime loss to Michigan on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Michigan coach John Beilein, Trey Burke, Mitch McGary and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Michigan coach John Beilein and playersTrey Burke, Mitch McGary and Tim Hardaway Jr. talk to reporters following the Wolverines' 87-85 overtime victory over Kansas on March 29, 2013.

Download podcast

— Michigan’s Mitch McGary was a bit surprised to get whacked in the groin area by Kansas’ Elijah Johnson in the opening moments of Friday’s overtime victory over the Jayhawks.

“I didn’t know Elijah played like that. I don’t know him or anything. I was just setting a screen for Trey (Burke) and he came up and whacked me right in the crotch. He used his fist. He dropped me,” McGary said of what was deemed a flagrant one foul.

“I was in the fetal position. I was waiting for him to blow the whistle and they did. I was like, ‘Check the monitor.’ And they were like, ‘He was just cutting for a screen.’ And I was like, ‘No, check the monitor.’ It was intentional.”

Johnson said it was not intentional.

As far as coach Bill Self’s take: “I didn’t see it, but obviously the official said he did it, so he did it. The film doesn’t lie. That’s not how we play. And that was not smart at all. And then he has a bad second foul and a charge (playing three minutes total the first half), when all he had to do was stop and shoot it. The third foul he plays for 15 seconds and gets that one. We played pretty well the first half considering our starting point guard didn’t play at all. The second half he did some good things making shots. I know he wishes he had a couple of those possessions back.”

KU coach Bill Self on Ben McLemore’s decision whether to turn pro or return to KU for a sophomore season; most mock drafts believe McLemore will turn pro and be taken in the top three: “We’ll talk about it,” Self said. “We made the decision a long time ago to wait until after the season to talk about it. It’s after the season now, but there’s nothing to be spoken about this weekend. I’ll support whatever direction he and his family want to go. He needs to explore. He needs to look into doing what would be potentially great for his family. If it’s the right time he needs to go. If not he should stay. We’ll discuss it,” he added not sure when any decision would be announced either way.

Former KU standout Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics had a pair of twitter posts about the Jayhawks on Friday:

Predicting big things for Ben McLemore tonight in a Jayhawks win #rallycry

Our most significant opportunities will be found in times of greatest difficulty. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Several members of KU’s basketball Pep Band are part of the KU Wind Ensemble that performed a world premiere of a new symphony Tuesday night at Carnegie Hall in New York. The ensemble boarded a bus in New York shortly after the performance and arrived Wednesday night in Lawrence. The group flew from KC International to Dallas on Thursday. Then, after playing for the Jayhawks this weekend, they will return to Lawrence to perform the Midwestern premiere of the symphony Tuesday night at the Lied Center.

Here are the musicians who made both whirlwind trips: Marina Hague, Philip Kaul, Colin Lohrenz, Stephen Meiller, Michael Solomon and Amber Thoennes.

The future: KU loses seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young to graduation. The Jayhawks will be bringing in a five-player recruiting class of 2013: No. 25 Brannen Greene, 6-7 small forward, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga.; No. 26 Wayne Selden, 6-5 shooting guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 31 Conner Frankamp, 6-0, combo guard, Wichita North; No. 37-ranked Joel Embiid, 7-0 center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla.; and No. 134 Frank Mason, 5-11 point guard, Massanutten Military Academy, Woodstock, Va. KU has one schlolarship left to give, two if, as expected, Ben McLemore heads to the NBA. And more if anybody elects to transfer.

KU is still in the running for No. 1 ranked Andrew Wiggins, 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Comments

JayhawkRock78 1 year ago

I was at the game and waited until last night to carefully check the game out. In the opening moments EJ was guarding a player away from the ball. That player shoved EJ into a blindsided pick set by McGary. Later McGary stuck his elbow out and hit EJ just has he came around him on another screen. Then EJ hit the ground under our basket as McGary got a rebound. I could not see if anyone did anything to EJ or not, but I think at that point EJ had enough. No, he shouldn't have reacted that way, BUT, did you see how quick McGary went down??? Any man knows a few seconds pass before nausea hits you like that. McGary realized he'd been hit and dropped immediately to catch EJ in the act. Much like some of the other flops. Watch the feet of Michigan players and you can see them jump their feet forward six inches during contact to sell the flop. When you get hit, your feet DO NOT go forward rather go backwards as your body goes backwards. I hope the refs watch for this cr*p in the final four. I don't like players who play dirty and refs who think it is their place to influence a game rather than just enforce the rules fairly and consistently throughout the game.

dhinkansas 1 year ago

I think it did affect the game because the refs swallowed their whistles and stopped calling fouls on Michigan. And every time the announcers would gush how Michigan doesn't foul, I wanted to puke. They're in the Big 10 which is like football without pads. They were fouling of defense as much as Kansas...just not getting called for it.

EdwordL 1 year ago

After watching the replay several times, I have to agree that EJ was fighting through an illegal screen. Looked like an open-handed touch and not a punch. Maybe McGary didn't flop--maybe is that soft. You would not know that from the way he banged Withey all night without "official" consequence. Back here in the 'Burgh, we used to say of such bullies, he can dish it out but he can't take it.

Rooting for the 'Cuse to deflate the michigan dream.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year ago

We all want and hope KU wins the championship every year, and this year wasn't any different. I think we all had realistic expectations in not planning on it, but again, hoping for it. Michigan was such a tough loss because we HAD the game won. I'm not disappointed in the entire season. Another 30 wins and an NCAA record 4th year in a row is amazing. We weren't the favorite and for the most part, an underdog as a #1 seed. If you look at the dozen bracket pick em's on CBSSports.com, zero picked KU. Anything can happen, but again, I'm happy to say we're still the greatest program in college basketball. Next year will be absolutely crazy with all the new players, but hey, we've done it before. I love the talent on the upcoming roster, and pairing it with Ellis, Lucas and hopefully an improved Tharpe, things will be just fine. Will we win it all in 2014? Probably not...We could, but I'm just happy with continuing down the path that has been laid out... a historically good and reliable team. Rock Chalk

Joe Baker 1 year ago

Reload: calling Mr Frankamp, Selden, Greene, and Mr Embiid. Here's to another "bad" year. I sure hope our incoming players are "classy." They might get judged for either being too soft or "class-less."

Rock Chalk and can't wait to see these guys in the colors.

ku_foaf 1 year ago

If this was a bad year, may we have many more bad years!

Big 12 Champs, Big 12 Tournament Champs, 30 plus wins, Sweet 16. This was a great season.

Remember only 8 teams had better tournaments than us. Making the Sweet 16 is always an accomplishment.

Damian Glaze 1 year ago

jaybate and everyone else that wants to deny that the contact was intentional can enjoy that conversation. It was. EJ is being disingenuous.

More importantly is the fact that that was what was on his mind to start the game. It had to be premeditated. What that means is he wasn't prepared to compete. Giving the benefit of doubt that gambling was an influence, I think his Plan A was to intimidate and show strength. And to be honest I don't think he was completely ready to compete. Don't know why, just know that true competitors WANT to compete and not intimidate with derilect behavior.

I love coach Self and think he is a master. But on this night his "project" senior taught him a lesson. On this night he learned that four years of attention and dedication to his (Self's) teachings that repeated lapses of poor judgement never go away. Bad shots, turnovers, and the nornal defensive breakdowns will happen; but the complete betrayal of being an athlete that wants to compete without taking a shortcut should be "coached out" of an individual after year one (two if he is really from a bad place mentally). Elijah took Bill for a four year ride that might be his most valuable investment ever.

In the end EJ let him and the team/organization down by that one shot at a point in the game that it meant nothing but what he is all about - and perhaps what KU basketball is about these days. I hope to never see it again and I hope well-coached KU players come to compete rather than intimidate or bully their way to wins.

Remember -- KU is a "great place to be... a Champion" - among other things.

tophawk87 1 year ago

Elijah should apologize, its the right thing to do now....

Bob Forer 1 year ago

Bill Self: "We played pretty well the first half considering our starting point guard didn’t play at all."

Well goily jeepers, Mr. Bill, perhaps there was a reason for that.

Greg Lux 1 year ago

High or whatever he made a fist and did swing at the mans jewels. There is no place for that kind of player at KU. If HCBS would have seen the playback I hope he would have benched EJ for the game and looking back at the way he played it might have been a good thing in the end.But it's not about winning or loosing, and believe me I wanted to win as much as any KU fan. It's about standards and KU. We don't play that way EVER. In my opinion EJ is a thug who should have been kicked off the team at that moment. KU's integrity comes first always.

Rock Chalk

Bill Skeet 1 year ago

It seemed like the officials stopped the game when McGary was crumpled on the floor. It didn't look like they saw the incident and didn't call the foul until reviewing the video.

I understand that F1 fouls are reviewable, but didn't think they could use reviews to call fouls that were missed.

If that were the case, there should have been an F1 on UNC when Withey was elbowed in the eye. That was clearly an elbow in the head on replay. But the officials missed it. Therefore, there was no foul.

Maybe I have the sequence wrong in my head. I don't have much interest in going back and watching that game again.. but it seemed like a double standard.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

What is peculiar, is a key bigman for a Big10 (bruiser-ball league) is NOT wearing a cup to protect his manhood? What?? So he takes what is basically a restrained backhand (not a roundhouse punch) from a player 60lbs lighter than he is, and flops around like a harpooned fish? Truth lies somewhere in the middle: EJ likely over-reacted to an illegal moving-screen, and also was likely trying to start the game with an aggressive mindset, so what happened is what y'all saw on the replay. But no doubt McGary flopped. Maybe he is a drama major. But kudos to Mitch McGary! He found a way to help his team. May he have a long and illustrious career in the NBA. There are many big tough men there that he can use his flop skills against. Maybe he can join the Pacers, wont have to change team colors, and can learn from another great: Tyler Hansbrough.

johninkc1 1 year ago

Not sure what game most of you were watching. I saw McGary set a pick and EJ went through the pick and hit him in the shoulder. I guess EJ could have taken his arm and removed it and them reattached it after he went through the pick. It was a flop pure and simple and it wasn't the only flop by Michigan. Don't really care about what Michigan fans think. The fab five was the original cheap shot team. I saw them live at the '93 Final Four. Glad they lost to UNC. Michigan whined yesterday and I will cheer against them no matter who they play.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

I know this about EJ's foul but wanted to say thanks guys for a great year. You had a great run and played beyond what most of us thought possible. I would vote Trav for best defensive player of the year , and couldn't forget the big guy W for his plays and blocks, and Kevin's spirit. Watch out next year because Bill will have us ready. Most of the freshmen are already to go. Still can't believe it is all over now, but enjoyed the ride they gave us.

MaudesKiD 1 year ago

This Jayhawk team exceeded my expectations this year and today I feel like I've lost a good friend! But I'll be back to cheer them on next year . . . and all the years after! MCGary does deserve an academy award for all his FLOPS! I even noticed he would put his hands behind him as he got ready to FLOP.

diegohawk 1 year ago

Wish

I vote for a Michigan vs Wichita State final with Wichita State prevailing. I might be in the minority here but I want to see someone from Kansas when KU is out of it cut down the nets. I don't think that cheapens what we achieved in the past or what we'll achieve in the future. I also vote for a regular match up with the shockers. I also want to see Michigan represent each team they beat along the way as well as possible up until the final game as while they beat us I don't think they deserve to be champs this year.

diegohawk 1 year ago

Status

Wearing my most obnoxious Jayhawk shirt today. It hurts. But I'm still flying the colors. Win some LOSE some. We will be back. Next year will be fun with such a young team. Lots of talent. Could be a team that under achieves in regular season only to overachieve in the post season. I feel bad for all the seniors EJ, Jeff, KY and Trav. You guys were a lot of fun to watch over your career. Each of you had an opportunity to finish this game off. None of you did. It happens. I thank you for all you gave us fans to cheer about this year.

Justin Kruse 1 year ago

I don't understand how anyone can say that was unintentional? Making a fist and leaving it hanging at your side isn't how you fight through a screen. Also, if it was unintentional, don't you think there would have been some kind of reaction when the camera was on EJ. He knew what he did and he got caught. I don't think it was a flop either. Some of the most painful shots to gonads aren't always the hardest ones. It was embarassing and unfortunate.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

And usually a point guard or team leader has how many assist per game?

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

I just Self and a few coaches read these blogs. And I hope they understand what went wrong

Stephan123 1 year ago

My impression was, like fellow posters, that EJ was not the man to have in the game late as he was more of a detriment than an asset. After those three heartbreaking turnovers late in the second half , I would have pulled him. Freshman-like turnovers that gave the game away. Andrew White would have done better handling the ball. EJ was out of control. Even the coach could not reign him in during the last minutes. Golden opportunity spoiled by just horrific play by EJ. Nonetheless, he did the best as point guard as he could. Unfortunately, it was a sub-par performance all year.

Steve Brown 1 year ago

Read this only if you know of Area 51, black copters and drones over your home.

Darth informs EJ that you will lose the game or win by 1. Time is up. " go away, didn't you get healthy on TCU?"

Tonight you will collapse.

I will not, rather get thrown out first than that.

Trying to create any reality that connects the dots and I am failing.

BADGOAL 1 year ago

CalBBaller 1 year ago

The Hawks had a great season. Everyone would have taken their results at the beginning of the year. Self's coaching got them to play better than their collective talent would have suggested. I believe next year will be a good season but probably not a great season, but with Self and his staff coaching, maybe it will be better. However they need to have a strong point guard that can handle the ball very well and distribute it to the hot shooting players. Guard play definitely hurt the team this year - - especially when the opponent pressed or pressured in the late stages of close games. If they get a good ball handler, then the team will be alrignt in 2013-2014. Go Hawks!

Annette Lee 1 year ago

If the refs have limited foul calls to expedite the game, why stop for a no call? I call this new world Philosophical refereeing. We call it "letting them play" or "play on".

UMFan 1 year ago

I'm not a big fan of trolling, but I was very curious to read the reaction to the "crotch shot". Good to see most KU fans here are sane enough to realize it was intentional. As for the deniers and whiners, one word: Karma. Sometimes you get what you deserve. Go Blue!

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

Who knows what EJ was thinking. This whole year he has played like he lost his heart to play. What one game or 2 he showed something. I blame both EJ and Self. Come on coach when you see a player playing like that. You should do something. Knee problems or not. Yes, we all play the blame game when we lose. But even us couch coaches, could see there was a problem. Positive thing, we had a great year and won the conference outright without a point guard. And 31 wins, Wow. I say, next year can only get better. Sure our big loses are Releford's D, Kevin's spirit and the Big guy W showing up to play every night. But we will have true point guard or someone who really wants the job. The coach should have the younger guys playing KU basketball.

pepper_bar 1 year ago

EJ proved he's not an honorable competitor with the end-game garbage dunk vs. ISU, and he gets no benefit of the doubt for the crotch punch here. Quite clearly intentional, and fitting with his character.

For everyone postulating that McGary must have drama'ed it up, well, sure he did. Fellas, think back to when you've ever taken a surprise shot to the nuts. The first thing you're going to do is react strongly and negatively, even if you're able to shake it off shortly after.

Getting punched down there is simply not a common occurrence, not something McGary should have been used to.

yates33333 1 year ago

Yes. The referees missed a lot of fouls that Withey suffered at the hands of Mitch. They also didn't call at lot of the illegal picks he ran. But we lost the game. Stupid decisions and plays cost us at the end. Michigan was the victor in a game it did not win.

Beate Williams 1 year ago

Could not agree with you more Jaybate as I posted earlier on to another stream. Why would a player do this with the world watching? Why didn't McGrary protect the jewels as every player is taught to do when setting a screen? It was a flop and I think the refs gave in to Michigan and now all the loyal KU fans are trying to put all the blame on EJ without any real understanding of the situation.

Maybe I have missed it in previous games, but I have never seen the refs go back and review a play when an initial foul was not called. My collection is that the play was progressing and Michigan was able to convince the refs to stop play and look at the monitor. Maybe that's routine and I just don't remember.

McGrary beat up Withey all night and they bumped and slapped us around all night, still we should have won and would have won if we had been a bit more aggressive towards the end but that is not the purpose of this post. I think the refs had more to do with the outcome of this game than they should have had.

Raymond Wright 1 year ago

And without EJ last year we don't make it to the NC game. What he did last night though, I have no words for other than dumb. But alas, it was a very fun year, 9th in a row. Coach Self with 500 and 300. The freshman. I love how many bitch about coach Self, but I guarantee he is a better coach than any of the coaches posting here.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year ago

The shot was intentional, plan and simple. This was one of if not the most bizarre acts of aggression I have ever witnessed in a sporting event. Two minutes had not gone by when it took place. We do spend a lot of time talking about the class of Kansas basketball. It pains me that this will be associated with the program for along time. I saw EJ grab and physically throw a Michigan player out of the way after EJ returned in the 2nd half. The way EJ played was as if he were in some type of rage mind set. Whether this came from something said before or during the game, we may never know. When he returned before the half he immediately picked up a 3rd foul with intention. The places my imagination takes me thinking about this game and EJ participation scare me.

I am embarrassed for the program. I would like to apologize to Michigan, I also wonder how their remarkable freshman managed to get to the end of regulation with 2 fouls? Bottom line we lost.

If EJ's play was the result of hearing that KU "doesn't have a point guard"137 times it is still a strange way to act if that was his motivation. I hope it's understood I'm not hating here, my thought's and observation's are out of Twilight Zone type of confusion over what I witnessed last night.

shelleysue 1 year ago

I saw the replay time and time again too but I just can't be convinced that even EJ would do something so stupid and obvious. Things aren't always as they appear. I know EJ made some stupid mistakes but he can't take all the blame. It wasn't him alone who blew a big lead. And Self left Mclemore on the bench for being ineffective last week yet left a player on the floor who was hurting their chance to win. Not EJs fault. And regardless of what anyone says, when you have a three point lead and an opponent who's been draining ridiculous threes the entire half, foul someone and take away the three. There were a lot of mistakes made and I know it's easy to blame Johnson, but he didn't lose the game alone. Thanks seniors! You've given us some fun years. God bless.

GortHawker 1 year ago

I think the only thing that was intentional was McGarys Flopped, I saw the replays many times just like everybody else did one view lookes like EJ may have hit him but he wasn't making a fist, the other view looks like EJ put a real good shoulder into him instead at any rate I didn't see anything that I thought was hard enough to drop a 6'10 250 pound man, plus he flopped a couple other times also. If that shot was intentional then Ej is , I don't want to say it, I'll get kicked off. Guess there's next year

jaybate 1 year ago

Questions for the Referees and NCAA Supervisors of Officials:

I have refereed kiddie leagues and city leagues only, never the big time. Nevertheless the rules on screening and what is an illegal screen are not reputedly significantly different at any level of play as far as I recall.

I have made illegal screen calls and flagrant foul calls. I watched the replay the several times it was shown. What I saw was an illegal screen involving McGrary's hands grasping at and making sustained illegal contact with the chest and abdominal regions of Elijah Johnson and during this illegal screening involving a flurry of grasping and possible side of palm chopping, I saw Elijah Johnson try first to avoid, then deflect, and then finally initiate counter contact that appeared in self-defense with one contact appearing to occur about 4-6 inches below the waist of McGrary--a player 6 inches taller than Elijah Johnson. So: why wasn't a double foul called?

From the moment the referees swallow whistles on something like illegal screening with grasping and heel of palm chopping, then an a defender must be allowed to defend himself with similar leeway. If the player committing the illegal screen is 6-10 and grasping and palm heel chopping the chest and abdomen, there was no reason to expect a player acting in self defense to pause, measure the height of his response and modulate it upwards to accomodate the taller players height. The referees were condoning illegal play the moment they did not call McGrary for an illegal screen. If they were going to permit illegal screening then did they advise both teams that they were going to do so? If not, why not?

Further, how did the referees watch this replay several times and fail to identify and call the illegal screening that was apparently occurring before and during Elijah Johnson's act of self defense?

What we have here appears to be a blatant example of referees refusing to call an apparently illegal screen, not once in the moment, but with apparently willful intent after repeated viewings of the replay. How can this occur, if the referees are either competant, or impartial?

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

What EJ did last night (to McGary) was not any different than what he did at ISU with the dunk...pure lack of class!!! Selfish comes to mind too...put his teammates in a bind. Good riddance, punk!!!

ferdthemooncat 1 year ago

EJ did not intentionally whack McGary in the cookies. Those who know him know that makes no sense, and there was absolutely no reason or upside to doing so. It was early in the game and the refs had to establish order, but they were no more capable of seeing that play clearly, even on the replay, than any of the dozens of other questionable calls and no-calls that they blow in any game. Why, on this play, are the refs suddenly keen enough to discern "intent." Leave stupidity assessments to HCBS.

kubballjunkie 1 year ago

Not sure why everyone is so upset about the crotch shot. Stupid? Yes. Poor sportsmanship? Yes. But it had no effect on the game at all. McGary missed both free throws, and they already had possession so they gained absolutely nothing.

Jerry Long 1 year ago

You should all get of EJ's case. I thought it was very impressive the way he put Michigan on his shoulders at the end of regulation and the OT and delivered them the victory.

thmdmph 1 year ago

The "crotch game" that will done in infamy

Scott Smetana 1 year ago

Was at the game. McGary is a $&@! He was a flopping, whining, fouling dirty player the entire game.

hotrodm 1 year ago

If you look at the replay of EJ's hand, EJ did not make a fist. If EJ was trying to hurt McGary he would have hit him with a fist and not an open hand. Sure there was contact to the groin, and EJ may have hit McGary to get through the screen, but I believe the contact was not intended to hurt McGary, but just a reaction to trying to get through the screen. Only EJ knows for sure. Either way this incident gives EJ and KU a bad name.

jrbill67 1 year ago

Congrats to Withey, Young, Releford, Ellis, Tharp & Traylor for giving it their all. EJ needs to apologize to the entire team for his actions and he needs to own up to the intentional punch in the groin. By the way, he was rated the #6 PG in the country when recruited so he is a point guard. He just continuosly makes bad decisions and last night he made a lot of bad decisions.

miajhwk 1 year ago

have a really hard time figuring that the low blow was intentional. what purpose could it serve? of course if you get hit in the junk by someone you will think it's intentional!

ej made some weird decisions again and I was really disappointed at first, but he's human and he's a jayhawk. basketball helps bring us together as jayhawks but there is so much more in life than just basketball. so let's stick together and move on to many more fun-filled seasons to come.

paul pierce's twitter comment makes me proud to be a jayhawk. i am just as proud today as I was yesterday. rcjh

tical523 1 year ago

I used to love EJ when he was younger and thought he was going to be one of my all time favorites but he just became weird as he got older. He says all the "right" things in interviews but you can just tell something is off with the guy. Too many tough guy moments this year for EJ and he cost three of my all favorite Jayhawks, especially Kevin Young, another game in a KU Jersey and a chance for the ship.

hawkhoops 1 year ago

I swear, after watching the replay, EJ took a shot first and his hit was second. I am probably crazy. I don't have recorded to watch but figure it will be shown again.

Like said above, he must be the only player that doesn't cover his crotch when setting a screen like that.

kadub6 1 year ago

I will say this, though, McGary is full of you know what saying it was fist. It looked more like a grab to me. Definitely appeared intentional and I am in agreement that EJ tarnished his legacy with that play and the boneheaded plays down the stretch.

This team went as EJ went and over a 6 game span he was bound to stink up the place bad enough that no one else could pull us out.

ollerfarm 1 year ago

I'd flop too if EJ clobbered me in the naads. What a jerk, it most certainly should have been a flagrant 2 with ejection. If I'd been the coach, I'd have set him for the rest of the game, win lose or draw. Way it turns out, had Self benched the THUG ej, KU would be in the Elite Eight NO question. Glad to be rid of turnover. THUG. ej!

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

I have lost a ton of respect for Elijah for doing that.

But then I started to ask "is this what the game has come to"?

Is he only playing by the new rules of the game?

But if he is going to sit here and lie about it, and not take ownership for his bulls&*&, then all I can say is my concerns about his future well being have been greatly diminished.

fansincewilt 1 year ago

Keegan said it best, "a nightmare."

fabio 1 year ago

nostradavid 1 year ago

When will flop totals be part of the box score? We used to award style points from the stands when St. Louis Steamers goalie Slobo Ilijevski was in town. He would lay on the pitch like he was dying while his team caught their breath, then he would bounce to his feet - many times in every game. He was a great goalie and a good actor.

Check out this flop highlight reel ...

seanswind 1 year ago

It may have been slightly intentional - but it was equally punk for Michigan to whine to the refs - flop city. Hope they play Duke - we can all enjoy the flopfest.

seanswind 1 year ago

This is on Self.

EJs head was not in the game, he should not have had the ball at the end. I think Self was playing a head game with EJ and lost.

I'd have given the ball to Releford.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Sure looked intentional to me. EJ just cemented his legacy with many sports fans with that stupidity. Indeed many/most of us will be talking about it many years from now. Next time we play Michigan, particularly at their place, signs will be made.

I've always been proud of being a KU fan, and this certainly won't tarnish that pride, but that pride has always been as much by the classy way in which our program is run, the way the young men carry themselves on and off the court. The Morris' tainted that just a little as did Tyshawn, but just a bit.

goliac492 1 year ago

It was intentional and a punk move. Karma is a -----! Nice loss EJ! McLemore you are the problem with the NBA now adage. Unskilled but talented young players who chase the money only to ride the bench!! Good luck kid! Ride well.

jayhawkinnc 1 year ago

IF it was intentional on EJ's part, I wonder what could have made him do that less than 2 minutes into the game? I mean, did McGary do or say something to provoke him? Either way, if it was intentional, there's no need for that at KU or anywhere for that matter. EJ is a senior and should know better than to stoop to something like that. Then again, he should also know not to make bonehead turnovers at this stage in his career either.

nostradavid 1 year ago

Most guys cover their crotch when they set a screen. Mitch was just getting started on his flop fest. He must be studying dramatic arts.

Puns are the highest form of literature.

Puns are the highest form of literature. by nostradavid

Jake Waddle 1 year ago

Can't get over this loss and the only thing to make it feel better is to think about next year. McLemore is gone for sure and he deserves/needs to go, and we have a transfer. (Lucas or Adams, not sure which one), so filling 3 more scholarships this late is going to be pretty tough. I'd be very surprised if we got wiggins but fingers are crossed. Early starting lineup for next year: PG- Tharpe, has blow-by quickness and his shooting was a good addition this year SG- Wayne Selden, freak athlete with a good looking stroke SF- Andrew White III, Championship teams need an elite shooter, can he be the guy??! potential! PF- Perry Ellis, He is going to be Marcus Morris Jr next year, Self's offense is MUCH more deadly when a big man who can shoot 3's is catching that reversal at the top of the key out of the break, Ellis' range will allow him to spread the D, and his post game was great the last month of the season C- Traylor or Embiid, Traylor isn't a true C, but not sure if Embiid can come in and start right away (haven't seen enough of him yet) Traylor is a good athlete and can be a Kevin Young for next year's team except with more offensive skills.

This one hurts but VERY happy to see FOUR seniors graduating... even with EJ's bonehead plays, I'm happy to see he stuck out the tough times and didn't bail early in his career. Young guys should take notes from him.

Miguel Colón 1 year ago

I think what Elijah did tonight was horrible and is not what we at Kansas do! Bill is so loyal to his seniors and it always bites him on the backside. Remember the tourney run when Sherron was running out of control and he wouldn't sit him? I hope these recruits carry themselves like the rest of the players and not like a thug.