Thursday, March 28, 2013

Kansas arrives in Dallas, ‘excited’ to meet Michigan

Jayhawks ‘mood good,’ Self reports

Kansas players Jamari Traylor, right, and Niko Roberts exit the team bus as they arrive at the Hyatt Regency Dallas on Wednesday, March 27, 2013.

photo

photo

Kansas head coach Bill Self talks with media members upon the team's arrival at the Hyatt Regency Dallas on Wednesday, March 27, 2013.

— Four police officers on motorcycles escorted Kansas University’s basketball team bus from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to the downtown Hyatt Regency hotel during rush-hour traffic late Wednesday afternoon.

The Jayhawks arrived in Texas safe, sound and ready to begin what they hope will be a five-day stay that culminates in a victory over Michigan on Friday (tipoff at 6:37 p.m., Cowboys Stadium, Arlington) and either Florida or Florida Gulf Coast on Sunday and a spot in next week’s Final Four in Atlanta.

“I think our mood is pretty good. I know the guys are excited,” KU coach Bill Self said to a throng of TV and print reporters on hand to meet the bus.

Self was able to joke when asked if he felt any flashbacks as the squad arrived in Texas. The questioner was referring to KU’s early-February trip to TCU, where the Jayhawks fell to the Big 12’s last-place team, 62-55.

“I don’t think we played in Dallas or Arlington this past year. There’s no flashback. We played in Fort Worth, which is a big difference from Arlington,” Self said with a smile.

In Arlington, Cowboys Stadium, which can accommodate up to 100,000 fans, is about a 20-minute drive from KU’s team hotel in Dallas. In basketball configuration, it will hold 42,614 fans.

“I haven’t mentioned it. We haven’t had so-called team meetings yet, as far as really getting into it with the guys showing tape and talking about the experience,” Self said of playing in a massive domed football stadium. “We’ll start that tonight.

“I know it’s huge. I thought last year was pretty big, too (St. Louis and New Orleans). We’ve played in Indianapolis, which is huge. We played in Detroit, which is huge. We’ve been in domes. These (current) players have not all necessarily been in domes. It’s a good problem to have because if you are playing in domes it means you are advancing in the tournament.”

A huge videoboard in Cowboys Stadium should help fans in the nosebleed section see the action.

“I’ve never been there. I hear it’s unbelievable. I hear the scoreboard is mesmerizing, hard to take your eyes off it,” Self said. “Our players will be fine. You still have to make shots. We’ll get to shoot in the building before we play. I’m not going to use that as an excuse.”

The Jayhawks will hold a shoot-around open to the public from 2:10 to 3 p.m. today at Cowboys Stadium. It is free of charge. KU, which has a huge throng of alumni in Dallas, is expected to have a lot of fans at Friday’s game.

“I don’t know if there will be a huge home team (advantage) if the place seats 42,000 and we have 10,000 seats,” Self said. “It may be more than everybody else, but it’ll be cavernous. I hope we’re the home team. We’re the team closest and have a lot of alums in the area, a lot of alums in Oklahoma. Hopefully they’ll get down here. It will be an interesting four-team field. There are four good teams playing. You’ve got different storylines with each one of them. I just want our guys to go out and play with reckless abandon.”

Michigan, the No. 4 seed in the South Regional, is known as a team with perhaps the top backcourt in the country. Trey Burke, a 6-foot- sophomore guard from Columbus, Ohio, averages 18.8 points a game with 236 assists against 76 turnovers. Tim Hardaway, Jr., a 6-6 junior guard from Miami, Fla., averages 14.9 ppg with 76 assists against 66 turnovers. The Wolverines (28-7) went 12-6 in Big 10 games. The conference was regarded as best in the country this season.

“There are a lot of things that jump out off the tape on Michigan,” Self said. “They are balanced. Everybody talks about Trey, and he is terrific. They have other guys who can all score the ball (including freshman guard Nick Stauskas and freshman forward Glenn Robinson III, who average 11.3 and 11.1 ppg). Their defense is better than what it is given credit for. They guard ball screens well. They do a good job getting to the ball. They’ve got guys who can go make plays. They are a really good team.”

This, that: The Jayhawks were to have a nice dinner at Pappadeaux in downtown Dallas on Wednesday night. ... Self said the team was healthy except for junior Justin Wesley, who has been ruled out of Friday’s game because of a severely sprained right ankle. “He’s doing better but not going to be able to play,” Self said.

Texas Tech opening: Current KU director of basketball operations Doc Sadler and former KU director of operations Barry Hinson have spoken with Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt about the Red Raiders’ coaching vacancy, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reports. Sadler is former head coach at Nebraska, and Hinson is current head coach at Southern Illinois. Current interim coach Chris Walker, whose Tech team went 11-20 this season, remains a candidate, possibly the leader. Hocutt has also met with Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton and Indiana assistant Steve McClain, the Avalanche-Journal reports.

“I was not searching for, nor am I seeking a job. I am extremely happy at Southern Illinois, but I honored their request and sat down and visited with their administration,” Hinson told The Southern newspaper of Carbondale, Ill.

His first Saluki team finished 14-17 overall and 6-12 in the Missouri Valley. It was most wins by the Salukis since 2009-10, when they finished 15-15. Hinson finished third in the MVC coach-of-the-year voting, the highest finish for a coach from a last-place team.

“I know I’m part of the process, and I as I told Texas Tech, I have a great job, and I’m extremely happy, and I’m humbled by their desire to reach out to me,” Hinson told The Southern.

As far as Sadler ... KU staff members do not discuss possible job openings as a matter of policy.

Michigan coach John Beilein on KU: “I see Kansas as one of the biggest challenges we’ve had all year. They are a veteran, veteran team, an interesting mix with four seniors and three freshmen playing most of those minutes. You don’t see that a great deal today. You don’t see four seniors much any more. I think that’s why they were able to win the Big 12 championship, win the tournament and why they are the No. 1 seed. We have a challenge in front of us. We’ve had a lot of challenges this year. Hopefully we can come out on the right end of this one.”

Of KU’s defense, Beilein said: “Withey anchors it, but the other guys ... when you play for Bill Self you learn to really play defense. If you’ve been doing it for four years you usually are very good at it. Withey gets the blocked shots but they are a great team defensively. Every one of Bill’s teams have always been that way.”

Contest: Future KU guards Conner Frankamp (Wichita North) and Brannen Greene (Tift County High, Georgia) will compete in the American Family Insurance High School three-point shooting contest at 1 p.m., April 6 in Atlanta. It will be shown on CBS. Other participants in the contest: Bryce Alford, New Mexico; Zak Irvin, Michigan; Nick King, Memphis; Race Parsons, Southern Utah; Matt Thomas, Iowa State; and Derrick Walton, Michigan.

Comments

okiedave 1 year, 4 months ago

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 4 months ago

"We have a challenge in front of us. We’ve had a lot of .." You call that a 'challenge'? You'll see the 'real' challenge when Jeff is in front of you! Better say your prayer, coz we will wear you down and tear you apart! Go Jayhawk!

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 4 months ago

Kansas center Jeff Withey is hoisted up by teammate Tyler Self during a timeout in the second half, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. by Nick Krug

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 4 months ago

Yep, I think back to the Poll just before our "bad week", when the AP had Michigan as their number one, while the Coaches Poll had KU as number one. The proverbial question of who is a better judge, reporters or coaches. I pay more attention to the coaches and hope the Hawks prove them right on Friday! Reporters are impressed by flashy offense while the coaches appreciate how hard it is to run an offense or score against a tough defense.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 4 months ago

Every talking head in the country seems to have picked Michigan to move on, but the smart money in Las Vegas has picked KU. If forced to pick a choice I'd go with the smart money every time.

addlime 1 year, 4 months ago

My understanding is that Vegas sets the spread to keep the money even. That way they win either way. All the 2 points tell us is that the money is coming in on KU. The real question is whether or not the much larger fan base of KU bets, and whether they bet with their emotions as so many do. The game is gonna come down to whether or not EJ can keep Burke in front of him. What I fear is a repeat of Baylor.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Good to hear that Conner and Brannen are getting recognition. Hope the LJW remembers to bring the results, or maybe even a story from a call to the 2 recruits.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

"I just want our guys to go out and play with reckless abandon.”

Don't make him mad. You won't like him when he's mad.

Don't make him mad. You won't like him when he's mad. by KJD

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

That's awesome. Made all the better since IT'S TRUE.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

Michigan failed to beat Indiana at home, oh the heart break from that roller on the rim, to miss grabbing a share of the Big 10 title. Then they lost to Wisconsin in their first game in the Big 10 tournament. Folks have been bringing up that recent Penn State loss on the road too. This Wolverine team had something to prove going into the NCAA tournament.

Michigan avoided the second round upset this year in the NCAA, it was only a 4 point game against the 13 seed at half. Last year got beat in their first game to Ohio. Two years ago 8 seeded Michigan lost by 2 points in the second round to #1 Duke. The VCU thumping by the Wolverines and advancing to the Sweet 16 had to satisfy all those disappointments to some degree.

This is Michigan's first Sweet 16 since 1994. On campus the Wolverines have to be hearing the love. How much are Wolverines looking at press clippings and soaking in the media love that is picking them over the Jayhawks? Will they be distracted just enough?

Hopefully KU stay’s loose, has fun, and gets after it from the start.

Kansas has played through a rough stretch and survived already in this tournament so they can’t be broken in the first 20 minutes. Last year Kansas was a great second half tournament team. These Seniors know how to close the deal. Down 9 at half after playing stinky for 20 minutes against Carolina must be some kind of reminder of how they finished games last year in the Big Dance.

Oklahoma State tried to take the Big XII Championship away from KU this year down in Stillwater. I think Michigan is going to have to try to take this game away from the Jayhawks too. There is a lot of fight in this Jayhawk team. It would be really sweet to pop Michigan in the first 5 minutes to get that early bump on the scoreboard, grind, then let lose down the stretch like we all know they can.

I like version two of The Incredible Hawk so I’m going to post it. Better be hungry Michigan, the Jayhawk D is coming after you.

Rawwwr!

Rawwwr! by KJD

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

That roller on the rim against Indiana was incredible. If it falls one way, Michigan and 3 others are co big 10 champs, it falls the other way, Indiana are champs, a 2 way tie for 2nd and 3rd. It dropped Michigan all the way to the 5th seed in the league tournament. Pretty dramatic scene in an incredibly competitive league all season.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

I've really enjoyed the Big 10 this year too. It would be good to keep scheduling home and away's with one of their top programs for each year. I'm not sure what is under contract with that league right now.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Love it. Want to steal this and make my profile pic!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Affirmative on the second one.

If I ever get a tatt, it will be that.

nostradavid 1 year, 4 months ago

Dallas is full of Jayhawks; there should be a home court feel down there.

Good luck to Conner with the long ball. Nothin' but the cotton !

That's a great Withey poster. Rock Chalk Jayhawk !

Our guys have been playing together for a looong time ...

Monster Fan Club

Monster Fan Club by nostradavid

mojayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice photo. Brings back childhood birthday party memories.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

The guys have been playing together so long they remember cutting down cotton nets. : )

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

The guys have been playing together so long, they remember when players used to want a Converse sponsorship.

machinegun 1 year, 4 months ago

During the Big 12 tournament, I thought Perry was going to be our X factor going forward. Now I have no idea. BMac getting untracked is critical. We have lots of guys who can shoot 3s. Not sure if anyone is better than BMac. That said, Elijah is the leader and when we need a 3 in a tight situation I want him to take it.

Michigan will employ that stretch 1-3-1 that always seems to cause us problems. Big Bill knows all and he has prepared our guys for Michigan. Kansas by 11.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 4 months ago

Elijah taking a clutch 3. His should be the fourth option behind McLemore, Releford, and Tharpe.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry is Bill’s extra chess piece. He can put him on, or take him off the board anytime he wants. Young and Withey are finding each other with great passing in the paint and they are defending and rebounding. If they are flowing, you need nothing else. Perry is indeed the X factor. He can be an alternate look. a matchup facilitator, a foul absorber, a free-throw maker, or he could step in and go full-time if a guy gets banged up. He has shown he can play at a high level, but for Bill, at this point of the season, he is “Use as needed”.

EJ has magic in him. He can be stone cold for long stretches, but the magic in that kid pours out when the time comes. He’s been slumping for awhile. I think that magic stuff is building up, and it’s dome-level tourney time. There is no other Jayhawk I would rather see MAKE the big shot, but he needs to tap the magic first.

Mac, while he CAN hit that quick stop and pop, really needs to get set and have time to execute his pure shooting motion. He needs to sink a couple of nice looks from the corner. They don’t have to be early, they need to come in the flow of the game. He can’t be pressured. It has to come naturally. Then, once he has it going, I want him taking it.

Relly is very smart with his selection. He knows when he’s got the right look. If he gets his look, I want him taking it.

Tharpe has something black and cold running through his veins. He keeps a dagger handy on his hip, he is always looking to swing it, and he almost always hits something. The problem is it’s not always the other team. He could be a hero or a villain very easily. In the North Carolina game, tell me you didn’t do this when Tharp stopped and popped a three before the offense even caught up to him... “No! No! YES! YES!” He’s a gunslinger, which inherently carries the risk/reward factor.

Lot’s of options, they just need to be utilized correctly. In Bill we trust.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I see in print that we are a 2 point favorite, but the "feeling" I get from listening to the media is that we're about a 9 point underdog.

???

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Yep, virtually every "expert" is picking the Wolverines.

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

If we should just happen to squeak by with a 14 pt. victory, what will the CBS analysts have to say about our Sunday chances?

Janet Olin 1 year, 4 months ago

I can understand why. 39 TOs in 2 games do not inspire confidence going against a team that averages 8/game. Add in the blowback from the media flap about blown calls and the common perception that the Big 10 is the toughest league this year, and it's easy to see Michigan as a favorite. I know the Hawks are capable of winning, just hope they bring their defensive/ball-handling mentality with them.

KansasComet 1 year, 4 months ago

I am excited for this team. 31-5 wow, what a season! What a coach! Hopefully, it all comes together for us tomorrow night. Survive and advance, Go Jayhawks!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 4 months ago

Godspeed, gentlemen. You're already heroes, so just relax and enjoy the ride.

Stay the course. Keep the faith. Rock Chalk.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

Seems like Bill is keeping a pretty even-keel witht he fellas right now. The more I looked into Michigan yesterday, I am not worried as much about beating them as I am not going full amp and having a potential letdown game against Florida.

I think the Hawks biggest challenge of the weekend lies on Sunday if they stay completely focused on the task at hand Friday. As a fan, I don't have to focus on one team at a time :)

Anybody notice any loss of spring for McLemore? I rewatched the Western Kentucky and Carolina games because I didn't get to really watch them last week when they aired. It appears to me that Ben isn't getting up as high on his shots, and he wasn't following through completely. He also is doing an awful lot of standing around in the corners. I hope his recent slump is nervousness and timidness, and not dead legs.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

He needs to focus on defense and forget about shooting. Eventually he’ll find himself open and shoot it without thinking. That shot will go down, and the tightness will go with it.

HawksWin 1 year, 4 months ago

I noticed it too, and wondered...

KemDooKU 1 year, 4 months ago

Michigan has played plenty of tough teams this year so KU better be ready and not come out of the gate slow - I think the key is getting the ball to fall for Ben - if he is off then it kind of takes the flow of the game away from the team and takes the seniors a while to adjust - Example UNC - the seniors finally realized Ben did not have it and decides to stop relaying on him for points and the four took over the game with help from Tharpe- ...........go Ben and go Ellis.....As best said by ex Chiefs coach Dick Vermiel to young Larry Johnson............ It's time to take the diapers off-

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Ooh! I don’t know about that. Larry was being a prima donna, and a whiner. Ben is the complete opposite.

He doesn’t need an insult to get him going. He needs to let the game come to him instead of forcing it.

KemDooKU 1 year, 4 months ago

Spell check - relying ...... Relaying is what they do with KU girls................ Damn that was good!!!!!

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

There are two basic things the players have to do: relax, have fun and remain loose and at the same time be intense, alert and mentally focused. Don't cause coach Self to lose his voice by doing stupid things.

hawkdiek 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm not to berry gud at cypherin, but I think that's more dan two!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

So......My wife came up with a great suggestion last night....."Lets go over to my friend's house to watch the game Friday"........Hmmmmm.....and then I stare at her like she has 3 heads and just walked down the ramp of a space ship.

Ummmmm......No. That's all I need......go over to some quasi,half-hearted Jayhawk fan's house to watch the game.......while they're making conversation about the weather, stock market and the lawn......and me sitting there having to be polite and calm......while inside I'm liviving and dying with every shot......wanting to pull my hair out or jump for joy.

No. I need a controlled environment.....where I can "express" myself. Anyone else have issues like this?

Thankfully she didn't really care......but I'm sure I will pay for it later.

David Black 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm with you. I will stay in my "man cave" and enjoy the game! Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

My sister in law will be in town from St Louis and visiting my inlaws. My wife wanted to go over there and visit with her sister and wanted me to go with.

She got the same look that you gave your wife. Have a nice visit honey - say hi to your sister for me.

stinkybulldog 1 year, 4 months ago

My girlfriend wants me to go to her friends house to watch the game, too. I said hell no! I need a controlled environment also.

tis4tim 1 year, 4 months ago

I tend to "express" myself quite vociferously when things aren't going as I'd hoped, so I feel you, kennethst. Sometimes, though, the fear of making an a$$ of yourself in front of company can be the motivation you need to hold it together during games.

The only advice I can give is this: When your wife says, "If you don't stop 'expressing yourself' i'm going to unplug the TV" don't reply, "I dare you."

Trust me when I say that scenario doesn't end well. :)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

How long wwere you celibate??!! :)

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes......the "payment" I referred to.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Ha! The "celibacy" result is the same when your wife asks " Do these jeans make my butt look big? ", and you reply " No - it's the other way around. "

tis4tim 1 year, 4 months ago

You know that standard issue television montage you often see where the protagonist is marking the letter "X" on the wall calendar as he counts down the days to some grand reward?

Well, I won't say how many days, markers or calendars I went through, but I was on a first-name basis with the dude at Office Max for quite some time.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

HA! My wife would never unplug the TV.....and I would never enter her closet(s)....it seems to be a agreement that works well!

Steve Kubler 1 year, 4 months ago

My wife evidently understands a bit better. Last year we were passing through Kentucky during the championship game. I offered to go out to a sports bar for supper and was told there was no way on Gods green earth she was going out in public with me in Kentucky during that game.

I think she probably had a point. :)

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

I think my wife would have said the same thing......But then again......I would say the same thing to her if she wanted to take me to a shopping mall.

farnamjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I live in Omaha and many of my friends root for the Hawks this time of year but that doesn't mean I'm going to watch the game with them. God created the DVR for a reason and I can't have others interfering with my routine. My dog and I have to leave the room when things aren't going well and say a few prayers

KU 74 MU 71

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Perfectly said.

It took my wife awhile to grasp this. After all, it is hard to explain. Very early on I had a bad experience where I was watching the game in my cave and she was in the other room, uninterested. The Hawks were playing well and I was doing my hootin’ and hollerin’. She came in to see what the fuss was about. Eventually she got bored and started flipping through some magazines. The Hawks started to fall apart, lost the lead and looked doomed. I sent her back into the other room. WHOOOPS! (We ended up winning by the way. It worked, but I paid dearly.)

We’ve had a loooong time to get past that now, although I still here about it now and again. Mostly these days she plays along. Not necessarily all year, but come tournament time, she hunkers down and makes sure to focus on the game.

She understands the mojo thing. She can’t read a game situation and apply the correct mojo by herself yet, (almost) but she is good at following my lead. She understands that if we don’t BOTH have the right shirts on, it could be a long night. She understands we don’t go to parties to watch the game, and that if she is going to be in the room during the game she is all-in. She is a great woman!

Don’t worry ladies, I sit through her TV dramas, and it’s well worth it.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Excellent. Yes......the good husband/boyfriend has to go to the shopping mall or the chick-flick to make up for it .......it's only fair.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 4 months ago

I think I have the best one of all. My Dad is a Michigan fan. I told him straight up that we couldn't watch the game in the same place. Everybody knows how diehard of a fan I am so they all get it. Sorry, not coming home for Easter weekend this year!

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

My wife's a diehard. She'll change her shirt, and the baby's shirt if it's not working for us at halftime. The boy's magic shirt mojo has done well so far . . . this is his second season, and he seems to be making the difference in close tournament games. ;)

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

I have a 3 year girl. I got her a stuffed Jayhawk and BabyJayhawk a while back. She especially loves the BabyJay and it rarely leaves her side and sleeps with it. Since I got them......she loves watching games with Daddy.......and it seems to me that when she's with me.....KU plays better. It's not scientific, of course....but I think it works.

William James 1 year, 4 months ago

The only time I see athletes not wearing headphones anymore is when they are on the field or in the postgame press conference. The other morning I saw someone, probably an athlete, had headphones in during a class lecture.
Can anyone explain this phenomenon? Are athletes introverted and don't want to hear anything outside their bubble? Do they just like music that much? Is it a way to counter those that chuck insults at them from a safe distance?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

I can tell you from experience that constantly being asked to sign something or become interjected to unwanted discourse because somebody thinks that they know you from seeing you on tv or on a stage can become quite annoying. For some the attention is exciting, for others it's not. Using headphones is a common avoidance technique, like avoiding eye contact. Not everybody likes the extra attention.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Didn't realize we had a celebrity on the board!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

Definitely not a celebrity. Just a drummer.

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

That's Ashely Judd's online handle.

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

Everyone has on headphones because traveling all the time is boring.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 4 months ago

"We have a challenge in front of us. We’ve had a lot of challenges this year. Hopefully we can come out on the right end of this one.”

I actually agree with John on this, I hope he comes out on the right end of this game too. Not sure our understanding of which side is 'right' is the same but hey, no one is perfect.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Bill...do a Norman Dale..... take the boys out to the Stadium, measure the basket height, the foul line and the three point line.....show 'em it's the same as in our practice gym in Lawrence!! Remind them this is Michigan 2013, not UCLA 1968.

Despite all the shuns and negativity from virtually every media outlet, I've just got this funny feeling we're going to handle Michigan just fine...almost the way I feel before a Kansas State game...weird!!!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

I think Michigan has no idea what they are in for vs KU's defense. I'm pretty confident too.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd like to believe this too.

Playing in the Big 10 - don't you think Michigan has seen their share of good "D"?

We need a healthy / bouncy EJ. I'm confident that's who'll show up. More than anyone - seniors know what happens when you lose.

Can't wait for this game!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

I like Jamari's look. He looks like he is ready to go on a bombing mission. Purposeful. Serious business. Like he knows he is part of the attack plan from the beginning of this game.That's good. Because he is. This is his moment. This is he and Jeff against two 250 founders.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Jaybate.....He's one of the big guys in the squad.......carrys the .30 Cal Machine Gun......Nerves of steel. In an ambush......he calmly unslings......and lays down fire.....protecting his buddies.

KansasComet 1 year, 4 months ago

I like the way Jamari has been shooting free throws of late. I hope he continues to knock them down.

Robin Smith 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd love to see Jamari have a breakout, signs-of-the-future, kind of game in this tournament.

also, jaybate, this is off topic, but I saw this video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9073517 and I thought of you and the issue of the ShoeCo Industrial Complex. It's about the Adidas unis. He brings up the Bill Self quote where Bill basically says we owe it to them to wear the unis.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Interesting clip. I don’t like the direction we’re heading, but then again it’s never really been about the direction (Cash grab) we were headed in, instead it’s, how fast are we traveling, headed in that direction.

In this case I could see “The tail wagging the dog” theory as a simple problem interpreting some very vague details. And/or ignoring the obvious.

Does taking advertising dollars mean you are being wagged?

Do we really know what adidas is paying Kansas in the first place?

Is it possible that adidas just said “Here’s a little something extra for you. All you have to do is wear these.”, instead of these teams doing adidas a “favor”?

After all, no university wants to be seen as greedy, or petty, right? Why look petty taking cash to dance for somebody, when you can flip it and say you are doing them a favor?

No, I don’t think there were any favors here. adidas gave up some extra cash to specifically get the extra face time. Basic advertising. The problem is I think we are taking the wrong deal. adidas has shown little taste in uniform design. Nike has kept things much more palatable, IMHO, for a program with KU’s tradition. We don’t need adidas’ little-brother, do-something-shocking-to-get-attention, full ride. We are better suited for big brother’s established foothold (excuse the pun) on the athletic gear market.

DanR 1 year, 4 months ago

Jamari looks good with the headphones and shades. Usually guys wearing those beats headphones look like they belong on a tarmac guiding an AirJet to a gate, but he wears them well.

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Make no mistake folks whoever plays the best defense tomorrow nite will win, " Go Hawks "

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Barnes? Who knows.....you wouldn't think so......but in this day and age of "what have you done for me lately"......it's possible. If I had to guess I would say he stays at UT......for now.

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree I don't think Barnes is going anywhere, isn't he dean of B12 bb coachs? I think coach Self is next in line for that if Barnes leaves. How did Mich. stack up against OS this year, since we beat OS at their place maybe that says something about how we'll do against them?

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 4 months ago

Kong, I live in texas and football is king here. Ut has tolerated off years from Mack Brown so I expect more of the same for their bBall program. The team is young and Kabongo got shafted by the ncaa, 23 games I think. Since Barnes has a good body of work at UT I think he gets at least one more year to get the program back on track. Just my opinion.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

Regarding Wiggins, you might know real soon. Per Evan Daniels, Calipari is meeting Andrew Wiggins this afternoon at his high school.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

After the cell phone theft incident on his Louisville visit, Bill Self and Rick Pitino lost all interest in Cat Barber and if Gottfried takes the UCLA job and Barber is released from his NC State commitment, Barber won't be coming to KU. Freeman and Anya would be the two players that could potentially come available that I would see what potential coaching situations do to the level of commitment to their schools.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 4 months ago

I use to find a stuffed animal that resembled the mascot of the team we were playing. During the game I would play "fetch" with said mascot, allowing our Welsh Pembroke Corgi"s, Margie and Monkee Boy to destroy the mascot. Sorta of a K-9 voodoo motif. This all came to crashing halt in 2002 when I couldn't find a turtle. As time went on I noticed that without the distraction of chasing and ripping up the mascot, the dogs began to pay more attention to my behavior. This was a real problem as dogs don't really like being around unstable people. When I'm watching a Jayhawk game, I become, unstable. After long lives Margie and Monkee boy have gone "home". I was thinking about starting the mascot routine again but it won't be possible with Oreo our current pup. She came to stay for a week as a favor to a co-worker. That was about a year ago. Oreo would make an excellent therapy dog, as soon as the games start she starts asking me if I want her to dial 911, do I have chest pains, arm numbness etc. I tried throwing a stuffed animal to see if Oreo had that mascot voodoo instinct, and her response was " this is no time to play you don't look well". Every year I commit to becoming a more responsible fan. Its not happening.

Last night I started making a list of things that of I have used all my life that have gotten me out of jams, junk drawer stuff. Duct tape, baling wire, epoxy, WD40, Swiss Army knife, baking soda, vinegar, twine, 4ml plastic. I thought " this years team reminds me of a junk drawer. I don't mean that in a bad way. I firmly believe that a house without a junk drawer isn't self reliant. Or Self reliant. The only thing that was missing from the drawer was a diamond in the rough. We have that too.

That's enough ADD for one post. I really like this team. They drive my dog crazy. RCJH KAAAAAAAAAAUOOOOOOOOOO! Jayhawks, take care of each other and you will win another!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

I did somewhat the opposite. I gave my 3 year old a regular jayhawk......and then BabyJayhawk. She loves BabyJay best and carries it around and sleeps with it in her arms. Ever since then.....she has become a fan of the team(as much as a 3 year old can be) and loves watching games with Daddy. I'm pretty sure she will be a fan for life......all part of my diabolical scheme.

AsadZ 1 year, 4 months ago

I am not that familiar with MI this year. How would you compare MI to KSU.

The reason I am asking is that I read here that MI run Princeton offense that has lot of movement. And KSU under Bruce Weber ran a motion offense.

We did well aganist KSU. However I am not sure how well to compare KSU with MI.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe similarities in the system, but the biggest difference is Michigan has pros and KSU doesn't.

AsadZ 1 year, 4 months ago

Blown, I think McGruder has a chance to play in the league.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

McGruder isn't getting drafted and will end up in Europe if he plays pro ball.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

If you click on my name and read some of my other comments you'll see my take. I follow the big10 pretty closely. My take for here is they're very good.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Anyone have a clue as to how many KU fans will be in Texas at the game??

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 4 months ago

Probably something like 10K fans. There is a huge KU alumni base in Dallas/Ft. Worth and the Austin area too!

Garrett Coleman 1 year, 4 months ago

There will be at least two lol. My fiancee and I are driving down from KC tomorrow morning.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

This guy looks like he is playing with elementary aged kids. It looks like he is playing on a seven foot goal. His pants are longer than the cheerleaders. He looks like he is playing in slow motion. If this kid could move a little quicker, KU could use him next year.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

I don’t know. He lost the opening tip. How does that happen?

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

That is funny. Looks like he's playing against sixth graders!

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I have already entered the final record for KU this season:35-5, so please don't make me have to change it.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Holy Crap!! I counted, and there were no repeats, but this kid scored 30 points without leaving the ground. Look out if Danny M. gets ahold of him!!

Eric Keene 1 year, 4 months ago

Hope Ben made the trip this time. He was AWOL the past couple games.

HawksWin 1 year, 4 months ago

Do you believe Self is staying up at night creating plays to reintroduce Ben to the bb world this weekend? If Ben did in fact AWOL'd, then Self will find him. Perhaps being new to the big stage plus having to figure out how to circle the new opponents may be why, but good coach like Self will guide him through. May be just may be Self has been waiting for the right time to get Ben going or could be something we don't know anything about like an injury. I pray for the former! RCJH!

Kye Clark 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM has been MIA since the UNC game. He's not the type to just slink off after predicting a KU loss, but I've been curious to see his posts and analysis of the Michigan game.

I don't always post, but I do enjoy reading my regulars' comments. Oak, BigManU, HEM, Jaybate, Ralster, Jaybate, konkeyDong.

Hoping for a couple more weeks of actual basketball posts from those guys, about this year's squad, before all the line-up speculation tries to sustain us for months.

My two cents on the game is pretty much what I saw another poster mention above: if EJ can't keep Burke from getting wherever he wants to on the court, it's going to be a struggle. That is assuming Self doesn't put Travis on him at some point. If EJ can contain Burke, and barring a lights out shooting game from Michigan, we should be all right.

Kye Clark 1 year, 4 months ago

Haha! Touche.

How long you been stalking the boards waiting to bust that out?

DanR 1 year, 4 months ago

Could be too depressed to get out of bed after we didn't land Randle... or maybe he's just on a trip to someplace fun without reliable internet, like Djibouti, looking for the next five star.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

To all of you going down to Texas......Thank you for supporting our JAYHAWKS!!!!!!