Kansas defeats North Carolina, 70-58

• 4:15 p.m., March 24, 2013
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Sunday, March 24, 2013

UNC-ya: Halftime speech by seniors — not Bill Self — sparks KU in 70-58 win

Kansas guard Travis Releford celebrates during a timeout in the second half, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

YouTube

KU-UNC reaction

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey

Kansas coach Bill Self and seniors Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over North Carolina on March 24, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

UNC coach Roy Williams, Marcus Paige, James Michael McAdoo

North Carolina coach Roy Williams, guard Marcus Paige and forward James Michael McAdoo talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over UNC on March 24, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-UNC

Bill Self, who has an even 300 coaching victories at Kansas University in 10 seasons, has given a rousing halftime speech or two to his players in that span.

He’s also been smart enough — and flexible enough — to defer to others in the oratory department when the need arises.

“We can do better. We’re better than this,” Self said of Sunday’s message at halftime to his No. 1-seeded Jayhawks, who trailed No. 8-seed North Carolina by a whopping nine points. He then told his players to talk amongst themselves, a strategy that apparently proved pivotal in a 70-58 comeback victory in Sprint Center that propelled KU into Friday’s Sweet 16 contest against Michigan in Arlington, Texas.

“I said, ‘This could be our last 20 minutes. We can go out there and leave it all on the court, or we can roll over like we did the first half,’” said senior Travis Releford, who hit four of five shots the first half, the rest of the team going three of 23 as KU lagged, 30-21, at the break.

Releford exploded for 13 points the final half off 5-of-8 shooting, finishing with 22 points and eight rebounds in what Self called “the best game he’s ever played.”

Releford wasn’t fired up by his own words, but by those of senior center Jeff Withey, who scored 16 points and grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds. Nursing a shiner under his right eye after the game — he took an elbow from James Michael McAdoo (11 points, 5-19 shooting) — Withey admitted he was on fire at the intermission.

“We looked at each other. We said, ‘Is this how it’s going to be? We’re just going to lose? Or we’ll play our butts off and win.’ I wasn’t going to let us lose,” Withey said.

Senior forward Kevin Young who scored 10 points and grabbed nine rebounds with five of KU’s 22 turnovers, outlined the details of Withey’s passionate speech.

“Coach yelled at us a little bit,” Young said, “then Elijah (senior guard Johnson, five points, 1-of-6 shooting with four assists, two turnovers) asked, ‘What are we going to do to change this?’ I said, ‘Win,’’’ Young related.

“Jeff motivated us going down the line saying, ‘This isn’t going to be our last game. He asked Ben (McLemore), ‘Is this going to be your last game?’ He asked Elijah that; Travis that. We all said, ‘No.'"

The Jayhawks’ actions backed up the halftime words.

Releford scored five points — including KU’s first three-pointer of the NCAA Tournament — in an 11-3 run that cut the deficit to 33-32 just 4:55 into the final half.

Releford had 12 points, Withey eight and Naadir Tharpe six (including a behind-the-back pass to Johnson for a layup) in a 29-8 surge to open the half. It gave KU a 50-38 advantage at 10:41.

Withey, who had five blocks, had a vicious block of a McAdoo shot. Also, Releford had a key stickback of a McLemore miss. McLemore played just six minutes the second half because of ineffective play. The Jayhawks survived on a night the freshman sensation went 0-for-9 shooting and 0-6 from three.

“Ben labored this weekend,” Self said of his play in wins over Western Kentucky and UNC. “He’s still our leading scorer. We’re going to go right back to him. There’s not going to be a situation with that. But when Naadir (12 points second half) came in, we were a better team. We got the ball moving. Ben was the best cheerleader out there. It wasn’t hard to not play him because he’s the best teammate on our team.”

Indeed, McLemore said, “I didn’t shoot well. I need to work on that this week, but my teammates played great the second half, and I had fun cheering them on.”

KU led 54-40 with 8:35 left and 63-47 at 4:24, as the Jayhawks (31-5) ran away from the Tar Heels (25-11) in the final 20 minutes, 49-28.

Self was mighty happy his team figured a way to go from shooting 25 percent the first half to 63 for the second. The Jayhawks finished at 43.6 percent and held Carolina to 30.1-percent marksmanship.

“The lid came off,” Self said. “We played miserably the first half. They took us out of everything. We were so rushed and sped up and played nervous. They beat us to loose balls. Our basketball IQ was not very high also. We puttered around. Then, the second half we competed. We were great on the glass (50-36 for the game; 21-12 the final 20 minutes).”

As a result, he improved to 300-58 at KU and 507-163 overall.

“It wasn’t the prettiest way to get it. Second half I thought we competed so hard and were great on the glass. To get to 300 wins in 10 years is a reflection of having pretty good players. Of course who woulda thought this year’s team would get to 31-5? Now we got to make sure we get to 32 and 33,” Self added.

Comments

sawman3333 2 years, 1 month ago

Look out Michigan! There's a giant who's been asleep and he's about to wake up. And his name is B.E.N.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 1 month ago

Trey Burke makes me nervous. This is like Pierre Jackson of Baylor only with a better surrounding cast.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Trey's better, but I don't think he's faster. I think it was the quickness of Pierre that hurt us the most.

And don't forget that we TROUNCED Baylor the first time we played them.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree Sybesma but I might have said better coached. Baylor has no shortage of talent but Drew is the Midwest equivalent of Ben Howland.

LeoVeliki 2 years, 1 month ago

I just bought a great Nissan GT-R: from earning $6178 this last 4 weeks, and would you believe $10k last month. It’s by far the easiest-job I've ever had. I actually started 10-months ago and practically straight away got at least $81 p/h. Here’s what I’ve been doing Epic2.C0M_

jayhawkinnc 2 years, 1 month ago

300 wins at KU in 10 seasons. Easy math....that averages out to exactly 30 wins a year. Think about that............he AVERAGES 30 wins a year. 30 wins is an AVERAGE season at KU. 26 wins is a bad year. I love it.

I love having you as our coach at KU, Coach Self! WAY TO GO!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

It is statistically significant. Maybe we still have four more games to add to this year's total.

He should pass 900 career wins if he wants to keep coaching 15 more years. That's an elite accomplishment and puts him into rarefied air.

mphawk27 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't sit down after half time, that wasn't working in the first half.

DaNeille Davis 2 years, 1 month ago

I, too, didn't sit down the whole second half! Guess it worked!!

Displayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I moved from my chair to the couch! Best movement I had all day! Ha!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

For the second half, I went downstairs, put the sound on mute and didn't say a word until we were up by ten,...but I'm not supersticious!!

nb4ku 2 years, 1 month ago

It's only Crazy if it doesn't work.

KUPinkandBlue 2 years, 1 month ago

Awesome! Simply awesome! Best laugh I've had today!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 1 month ago

I pulled out the same shirt that I wore the second half of last year's Methzoo game. Turned it inside out like I did that night too. It is the Rally Shirt. My wife asked me why I didn't break out the shirt for the Championship game vs. uk.

Sam Constance 2 years, 1 month ago

I think your wife has a very valid point.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I was sitting at the dedicated KU Sports bar in Tulsa (or at least I thought it was supposed to be) for the 1st half and then just sitting watching it on the master bedroom tv for the 2nd half.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I un-kicked the dog, taped the window back together, ran to walmart and bought a new remote, got my hand put in a cast and fixed the hole in the wall.

Oh yeah - I switched couches. That seemed to help a lot.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 1 month ago

I changed shirts. Wasn't even at home! Was at Outlaw Cigars South on Metcalf, and just happened to have an extra 'Hawks shirt in the car, and thought, "Gotta do SOMEthing."

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 1 month ago

I changed into running gear and went for a four mile run. No headphones. Nothing that would tell me the score. For those 30-35 minutes, I prepared myself for the loss and hoped against hope that the deficit would be less than 9.

I asked my wife simply when I walked through the front door (out of breath) "Is it the same or worse". She said "Better." Better?! I ran downstairs and with 13 minutes left it was 40-36 KU. I could not believe it! I expected KU to be down by 15! I am glad I DVRd the game so I could go back and see how the comeback happened.

The run also helped to calm my nerves. I think I may start running before every game if I can help it. Works a lot better than beer and it's a heck of a lot cheaper and healthier.

captku 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill, I'm more of a 9-10 min miler/lumberer myself, so props for busting out 4mi in 30 min to get in some cardio and then get to see the great finish!

Tyson Ailshie 2 years, 1 month ago

As Jeff Withey goes, so does this team. He is shaping up to be the true leader of this bunch, usually leading by example. On another note, it sure would be awfully tempting to put Tharpe at the 1 and EJ at the 2 for the Michigan game. Not only was Ben awful on offense, but he couldn't stay in front of his man as a defender. As strange as it sounds, I wonder if it would be a better play to have him come off the bench.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

No, the way Self handled it today was fine. McLemore is someone capable of single handily beating a team and Naadir isn't. If McLemore is struggling, then it's nice to know there's someone on the bench who can come in and give KU quality minutes off the bench.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Agree. Plus, Naadir seems to work very well as a spark off the bench. He brings in an extra level of energy that teams haven't seen yet. That change of pace is really almost as valuable as Tharpe's play itself.

Yolanda Gay 2 years, 1 month ago

We did that during the North Carolina game. The results were the same - nothing. Our first play in the 2nd half was a lob and Ben couldn't even come through on that. He just can't handle this big stage situation.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

It's good to see ralster's comments. Most of the early one are by a bunch of possible KU grads or high school students suffering from hyper-hubris. Could they be Misery U. or Missagain U. fans?

Do you really think the pros will draft McLemore in the first two rounds? He really hasn't proved he can play against fast and tough competition. The kind you get from 11th or 12th squad members on pro teams. He's had three or four really good games some of which were against no so good competition and some against the best the Big 12 had to offer. I wish I could remember what he did against Ohio State the best team we played so far this year.

One other observation. It is time to quit booing Roy Williams and start cheering for him. He is a decent human being and was a great coach at KU. I didn't like what he did in leaving, but it was and is his life. He knew when he was beaten yesterday and put in his subs. He let them get their names in the box score. A lot of coaches don't do that unless they are behind 25 or so points. I hope he and UNC have a good year next season and lose only to KU when they play for the national championship!!!!!

If K.U. keeps winning this year like they have the old adage that you can't win the championship without good guard play will be ditched, I think. It should be if KU wins under circumstances like the end of this season. I think Travis is more a small forward.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

For a big man, Withey is a pretty good passer. If Ben can screen the player on Withey, that would be a nice pick and roll combo or instead of HCBS's hi-low offense, they can make it the low-hi.

That sounds dumb even from me...

Steve Corder 2 years, 1 month ago

Ben is not ready for the NBA. He's a risky pick in the lottery position. If you would have come from Mars and watched KU's last 5 tourney games you would laugh at talk of Ben being ready for the NBA and the most important player on the team.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

Whoa there! You conveniently forgot the 1st game of the Big12 tournament when he had 24 points on 8-12 shooting, 4-8 from 3 points, 4-4 from the free throw line, 4 rebounds and 1 turnover.

Max Ledom 2 years, 1 month ago

Then again, Mars people probably do not have a clue what the NBA even is.

cklarock 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, you'd be surprised. The NBA is big on Mars, but they don't follow the college game much, or even the draft. They pretty much tune in during the playoffs, when everyone is trying. Mars is big on trying.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. And there's no one there to raise them if you did. All of this science I don't understand. It's just my job 5 days a week. A rocket man.

A rocket, man.

bad_dog 2 years, 1 month ago

But are you the kind of man they think you are at home?

I'm guessing "Yes", rocket man ;-)

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

This is a team the way '08 was a team. Not nearly as much talent, and not quite as much depth either, but it is a committee that leads this team. Each and every one of them has a part to play and must play it well. Withey is truly unique, and because of it he stands out a bit more, but this team needs everyone to step up in order to advance.

And Naadir starting over Ben is right up there with him starting over EJ, and even Perry over Kevin. It is great to get production off the bench for a few games here and there, but the 5 are starting for a reason, and it's not changing now. Besides, Coach has been saying for 5 or 6 years at least that it isn't nearly as important who is starting as who is finishing. Great example of it today.

studio 2 years, 1 month ago

Whatever it takes to get Travis to assert is the best line-up. He appears to defer less without the RSF Star on the court. He shouldn't have to hesitate to consider taking the open three (even if there hasn't yet been three passes) if we struggle to get open like Ben does when the scouts key him out. Great game Travis and way to spread the D Naadir! Everyone loves Withey's angry face. I hope that shiner lingers on the tough guy - a good look for the Intimidator,

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I saw somewhere on an ESPN site that the last 3 years when Releford scores 9 or more the 'Hawks are something like 47-1!!!!

KUFan90 2 years, 1 month ago

Remember, Ben is a bad man. He puts his fingers in your pudding cup because he can!

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe that's only in Chicago ...

NutmegHawk88 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone have a sense for what is going on with BMac? May be as simple is freshman nerves.

DanR 2 years, 1 month ago

My sense is that he's due for four good games!

Last 4 games: 28 pts, 8-26 (3-15 from three)

Previous 4 games: 96 pts, 33-57 (14-28 from three)

Previous 4 games: 41 pts, 13-35 (5-15 from three)

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree. For the most part he hasn't had "lengthy" slumps. He's DUE!!!! And given how MOST don't give Michigan much respect defensively....maybe it's them? Sure hope so, of course.

Matthew Pyle 2 years, 1 month ago

He can't take anyone off the dribble. He's been exposed as purely a jump shooter.

Boouk 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Ben can't go wrong with staying in school 1 more year to improve his ball-handling and take on a larger role on next year's team. He probably wouldn't get drafted as high, but being more NBA-ready on a slightly better team could lead to a richer second contract and a better career.

VailHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I sooooooo want him to come back but he'll likely turn pro and I really can't blame him. But, let's dream a little...he returns to work on his handle, creating his own shot and defense. We might run the table!

lurkerhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

He can very well work on those things in the NBA. Also, many experts project him to be a number one pick. Anyone would be silly to turn that down. Ben is in a position where he has to do what is best for him and his family. After reading about his background, I'd tell him to go pro now. He doesn't need to risk another year in college.

Benz Junque 2 years, 1 month ago

The only way that Ben McLemore comes back next year is if a member of his family wins the big powerball lootery. He is GONE and there is no changing that. The NBA drafts on potential and BMac has the potential to be an NBA All Star in five years. Staying at KU for one more only puts him at risk of injury.

Joe Baker 2 years, 1 month ago

And that's why it's his decision, not ours. Whether you're for him going or staying, it's his decision. He's free to choose what's best for him. Some think he needs to stay and others think he should take the money and run. Ben has impressed me with his growth on and off the court. There are things more important than money and basketball. His family has made it this far, why not one more year? It wouldn't surprise me either way. If he stays, doesn't mean he's dumb. He's just got priorites that are not our priorities. BTW, it's his risk, not anyone else.

zebman 2 years, 1 month ago

Ben is a 6' 5" guard that cannot drive the lane or dribble the ball very well when contested. He is basically a very short shooting forward with a good looking jump shot. I will not comment on his defense because I do not even watch him when KU is defending. This is not pro material without a lot of work. Compare to Mario Chalmers who can play true point guard or shooting guard.

Magic Johnson (a 6' 9" point guard) stayed a second year. Did it hurt or help his draft position?

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Ok, ok.....the one that seemingly EVERYONE compares him to most is Ray Allen. Um, I don't think anything has changed on that front. Ray Allen is MOSTLY a spot-up jump shooter as well. RARELY do you see him drive the lane & I would argue that Ben may well end up a better finisher on alley-oops & receiving passes driving to the bucket.

I see NO REASON at all WHY he couldn't develop in much the same way.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

You make an excellent point about Chalmers. Still, there are many rumors that the Heat would like to replace him. I think it's nuts, but the rumors are there. Also Cole plays a lot.

jenneking 2 years, 1 month ago

I wish it was possible to cure the turn-over virus... a win is a win... let's hope the hawks play better next weekend.

Ben - time to show up... you are too good to just disappear. Leave a good player..or a legend??

JayhawkEngineer94 2 years, 1 month ago

I sure could have used some pep talk by the seniors at halftime!

Checked out some of the live game posting at halftime, and it was real sad to see some of the KU "fans" calling out KU players, saying some pretty mean and hurtful things about them. I thought we had some pretty classy fans, but I might have to rethink that just a bit.

Was wearing the same KU shirt I wore for the WKU game (a new one). Changed back to the one I wore during the B12 tourney at halftime and man did it make a difference LOL!

How spoiled are we... 300 wins in 10 years... Pretty unbelievable!

Sure hope we get to watch 4 more games. KU can win 'em all. But PLEASE, cut down on the turnovers else my children won't want to be anywhere near me or the TV while I'm watching the KU game!

RCJH!

melrank 2 years, 1 month ago

If you will look closely, you'll find that many of the people posting the mean or negative comments at halftime are not regular posters. Does this mean they are not fans? Won't say that. But, there is no shortage of trolls on the site when we are struggling. There are some regulars who frequently jump off the bridge but you can tell the difference if you follow long enough.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

Engineer--Keep reading for the discussion on Rio. You'll find that not all the cruel things were said during the half.

TheBoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Great..Great win for us, no doubt, but I really hope Rio transfers. He is a poisonous presence. All of you out there who DVR'd this game.. watch him in the handshake exchange with Roy...just slightly classless. There is attitude..i.e. Morris Twins and Robinson...and there is unwarranted, delusional arrogance...GTFO

Phoghat 2 years, 1 month ago

I saw that too and it really bothered me. Not sure if I interpreted his look correctly, but it sure looked like he was being disrespectful to Coach Williams. What's up with that?! With that said, congrats to our fabulous Coach and team!

TheBoHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

my "just slightly classless" was just emphatically sarcastc

eric poncharello 2 years, 1 month ago

I watched it on my DVR and if you noticed Rio was bent over wincing like he was sick or in some sort of pain, just before Roy shook his hand even Nadiir was in front of Rio asking him what was wrong. When Rio shook Roy's hand he was making a facial expression of a wince. Don't be so hard on Rio I've seen him time after time cheering his teammates on during these games.

justme33 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't see it. But, that is definitely not how we want our players to behave to opponents. I am glad to win over Roy but if we were out and we would be in I would have been cheering him on. He deserves more than that. Rio, needs to grow up and learn from his coach. Then, he might be ready to play at Kansas instead of just cheering on the sidelines.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Didn't see the handshake line, but did notice his floundering play the one play he was in for. He seems to have chilled a bit since the twitter remarks a while ago, but still way too pretensious.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 1 month ago

Rio is fine, he's funny, he's passionate. If you have seen the gifs of him, you know he's a keeper.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Still think Rio's like a bit less talented version of Tyshawn. We were all saying EXTREMELY SIMILAR things about Tyshawn probably all the way up until late in his Jr. season.

I'd say have patience with him.

Brak 2 years, 1 month ago

See... this is what I hate about the comment section this time of year.....TheBoHawk, Kellerman, Nuleaf or whoever. Let's just paint the bleakest picture possible for our players who are young men/ KIDS who will undoubtbly read this article. Let's just get in their heads and lay the biggest festering egg of "wow.. Night on Bald Mountain"... I'd rather you talking heads just shut up if you don't have any sort of positive spin our Jayhawks road to a Championship. Just spewing doubt... and I don't give a damn about a necessitated "let's throw an 18 yr old kid under the bus when we have no clue what really happened."

Note these are mostly BoHawks words in regards to journalist talking negative about KU players, I guess the same standard doesn't apply to him, what a hypocrite.

Andrew Cox 2 years, 1 month ago

I just re-watched it. Asking for him to transfer after that is a huge overreaction! I don't think people realize but Rio has been touted as a last minute no name recruit, but he had offers from UCLA, Louisville, and Zona. Cut the kid a break, is it a bad thing a talented kid is a little upset people think he is a scrub.

leonard 2 years, 1 month ago

While I'm not ready to park Rio on the curb with the rest of the trash...he better wise up over the summer. He's slipping further and further from immature kid and getting closer and closer to punk status.

I trust Coach Self in straightening him out...just as I trust that Self will not hesitate in showing Rio the door if he doesn't respond.

Time to wise up Rio because if you don't the only loss will be yours. Que sera sera.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I would argue that it falls on the other guards in helping to straighten him out & the assistants more than Coach Self.

There was the line for EJ.....From Russell / Mario to Sherron, Sherron to Tyshawn, from Tyshawn to EJ, EJ to Naadir & the hope in that article indicated hopefully from EJ to Rio and if not then Frankamp.

There's a lineage there.

AsadZ 2 years, 1 month ago

Rio is a smart kid. He read below comment from jaybate yesterday on Roy Williams.

Do not trust this man.

Do not believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Until he retires, he will say anything.

He will do anything.

To serve UNC, not KU.

He will recruit east and west of the Mississippi for UNC.

He would only recruit west of the Mississippi for KU.

He will not give KU the same breaks he gave UNC.

He is not a Jayhawk.

He is Benedict Williams.

Until he retires.

He is a Tar Hole.

Nothing more.

Until he retires.

Then give him luv

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

They'll have at least 1 true, top quality PG next year. They'll be fine. Next year sets up to be more like last year and '10 than this year or the previous. This year and '10 & '11, they basically had only freshmen to play. In '12, there were enough carry-overs that provided the necessary stability and depth. It doesn't mean I'm predicting they'll win another championship, but guessing they'll be a lot closer than a first round NIT L.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it's a no-brainer that after this season, expectations should be tempered for next season, BUT "through the roof" for '14/'15.

KULA 2 years, 1 month ago

Not gonna happen. Kentucky has an awesome recruiting class coming in. And they get to play Mizzou at least twice. With no starters returning, we'll be lucky if we don't lose ground on them next year.

danno1313 2 years, 1 month ago

UK had a great class this year and what happened. Without 6 or 7 NBA players Coach Cal is average at best.

danno1313 2 years, 1 month ago

UK had a great class this year and what happened? Without 6 or 7 NBA players Coach Cal is average at best.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm definitely more focused on catching Duke and UCLA in tourney wins before I worry about the all-time wins list. Obviously the two go hand in hand, but it's not a short gap to cut and may take quite a few years. This year has been pretty special in that regard though. Too bad Creighton couldn't hit anything against Duke, they were susceptible just like IU if they'd played a team that could shoot over 15% from 3pt range. Hopefully Izzo and Co. take care of the Dukies. Last time UofL played a regional in Indy it was UofL vs Pac12 Stanford (Blowout) and MSU vs KU (last 2 minute collapse) and then MSU won fairly handily over UofL. Would like to see MSU take both Duke and UofL out.

jayhawkinnc 2 years, 1 month ago

yep, we're 10 wins behind UK and 11 ahead of UNC

Steve Zimmerman 2 years, 1 month ago

And we achieved this with how many All-American and top 25 HS recruits? I always wonder how CS work his magic. Not to dismiss other coaches' wins, just because CS is more recent and 30/season is doggone awesome!

KJD 2 years, 1 month ago

Better Jayhawk spacing on their offensive end to negate Tarheel guards doubling down to rake the post ball-handler and keeping the ball above the shoulders in the post felt like the biggest spark in the second half. I love the headline though, as a viewer, I was not exposed to the half time speech. Stever Kerr reported on Television that Montross, the former NC center, said that the first half of tonight's game was the first time that Carolina doubled the post.

Roy even said in the halftime interview befpre leaving the court that KU had an advantage in the front court tonight so the Tarheel's were focused on hitting the glass and being more energetic in the paint–and it really showed. After the halftime cool down on both sides, Kansas was certainly more poised in their half court sets, less sped up which sounds like early non-conference talk, and Carolina could not return to the same amplitude that they displayed in the opening 20 minutes.

VailHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I choose not to follow during the game...but were the refs discussed much? The charge call on Naa was horrible...defender had both feet in the circle...Or maybe that was earlier...

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Jeff Withey for moving to #2 all-time behind "The Admiral" David Robinson in career NCAA Tournament blocked shots. After having 7 blocks on Friday (WKU) and 5 blocks today (UNC), Withey has 43 total blocks. He is 8 shy of the Admiral. What a freaking stud!

•50, Tim Duncan, Wake Forest, 1994-97 (11 games)

•42, Shane Battier, Duke, 1998-2001 (19)

•41, Joakim Noah, Florida, 2005-07 (13)

•39, Shelden Williams, Duke, 2003-06 (13)

JHawk06 2 years, 1 month ago

He is great! The one out on the 3 line near end of game was nasty :)

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Even my wife came unglued on that one, and she's usually close to indifferent.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Please tell us that is only when she is watching KU!! :)

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

Your list would seem to indicate that Withey is #3 all time if I'm interpreting it correctly. If Withey has 43 and is 8 behind Robinson, that would mean Robinson has 51 all time. But you also have Tim Duncan on there with 50 blocks I'm assuming and if that's the case, Withey would be 3rd all time right now 7 behind Duncan and 8 Robinson and a 1 ahead of Battier, 2 ahead of Noah, and 4 ahead of Williams. Am I correct in this or is there something I'm missing?

chaggs 2 years, 1 month ago

Love the blocks. Seems like he was sending a message to the rest of the field too. Some of the blocks have went into the third row today.

Message received. Keep them in play now!

dogbones 2 years, 1 month ago

Withey has 44 blocks in NCAA tournament games:

2010 - 1 2011 - 0 2012 - 31 2013 - 12

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

He may have 1 in 2010, but I don't think that is "Confirmed". If that is the case it's 43 or 44, but either way, he's #2 all-time. Outside of the CBS site...it's not an easy statistic to find.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Who is Tim Duncan, besides David Robinson's pro teammate?

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I meant to say Tim Duncan instead of David Robinson. I've made the correction. I was reading Tim Duncan and thinking David Robinson.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Why did someone flag my post? Well, I can't edit it now, but I did mean to type Tim Duncan instead of David Robinson. Those are two impressive big men regardless.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

Someone flagged your post? Somebody really didn't like the mistyped info. I was just trying to get some clarity on that post since the way you typed made it appear that Withey was actually #3. Everybody makes mistakes and I appreciate you catching it and correcting it even if it took an extra post.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

People are so jacked it was probably just an accidental flag.

Jim Roth 2 years, 1 month ago

According to the CBS site, Joakim Noah has the most blocks in a single tournament with 29.

However, Jeff had 31 blocks last tournament. I asked them to correct their records. Wouldn't hurt for them to receive multiple requests.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for posting, tundra.

I sent them feedback as well. Common guys, let's inundate them with feedback, as it's ridiculous that they shouldn't have updated their records when it happened a year ago.

Dale Kroening 2 years, 1 month ago

They said he was 6 behind Duncan in the broadcast towards the end of the game. He also passed Wilts 302 blocks even though it wasnt official. He now is hands down KU's ALLTIME shot blocker (306). Congrats Jeff and good luck on passing Duncan, you can do it ! RCJHGKU !!!!

BainDread 2 years, 1 month ago

Where did you find the stats on Wilt's unofficial block total?

chaggs 2 years, 1 month ago

LOVE Ben's attitude! He was the first one off the bench to congratulate his teammates!

machinegun 2 years, 1 month ago

Jeff "BlackEye" Withey came out angry in the second half. His slam dunk was huge. His rebounding and shot blocking were superior to anybody on the court. The KU faithful finally woke up and the game was slipping away from UNC when Elijah hit his 3 to tie it at 35-35. Wow-Travis and Naadir turned up the heat. All of this going on with BMAC on the bench.

mannyinorlando 2 years, 1 month ago

Very happy with the game...great game and come from behind win. I was confident we would. At the end of the game though, did anyone else see how KU Freshman Rio Adams, deliberately?? I mean he actually side stepped ole Roy and walked by without making eye contact or shaking hands and had a smirk on his face. Very unclassy and un-KU like Rio! I hope u know that there were many like me who caught that. I rewinded it twice to see the jersey # of the player who did this as well as the smirk on his face. Not cool. KU fans are should not be like this to Roy who gave us his heart for 15 years and neither should KU players. Other than that, what a SWEET victory! RCJHKU!

Jim Roth 2 years, 1 month ago

Rio is just very immature. I have faith he will grow up and have a productive career at KU. Eventually.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's not forget - we also had some pretty lousy fans with STILL lingering negative feeling about Roy.....Please!!! Get over it already!!!!

Scott Smetana 2 years, 1 month ago

Last year TRob had a beast mode. Tonight Rele, Withey, and Tharpe had a beast mode.

tical523 2 years, 1 month ago

I love Ben, what a tgreat eammate and young man. I wish the best for him in the NBA but it is hard for me to not think more college ball will help his game, in particular ball handling. Lots of time on buses and hotel rooms in the league during that long season.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

But no class time, or restrictions on practice time.

wils_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Great win for the team. I don't want to be the one to bring down the mood, but after a halftime pep talk, Ben still couldn't get it going, does this worry anyone else?

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 1 month ago

Is it just me or are there a ridiculous amount of "charge" calls across the NCAA? It seams as though the officials get excited to make the charge call. Just curious what everyone else thinks.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

I think you're spot on, Sybesma. I was thinking during the game about how much of defensive strategy now involves stepping in front of someone at the last minute to draw the charge. I think it's something they definitely have to look at in the offseason, because it takes a lot of the beauty out of the game. It used to be that if it was at all borderline, the call went to the offensive player--which is as it should be. Now it seems like it's the other way around.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of referees enjoying making the call, but you may be on to something there as well. I imagine it's kind of like punching someone out on strikes in baseball, and has to be a lot of fun for the ref.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I thought we had TWO BAD ONES called on us.

The first one called on EJ - the dude was DEFINITELY IN THE RESTRICTED AREA!!!!!!!

And then the 2nd one, Tharpe was alredy airborned when the defender slid under & got set. That's fine...he was set...but not until Tharpe had already left the floor. From EVERYTHING I'd ever heard that SHOULD BE a block & not a charge!!!!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 1 month ago

The standard for "legal guarding position" has become much more lax as the years have gone on. Anymore, if you--as a defender--are sliding into position to take a charge, as long as you stop moving (or close) a fraction of a second before or at the same time as the offensive player leaves his feet, you will draw the charge.

It's a terrible standard that encourages defenders to time the exact moment they cease playing defense rather than working to actually prevent the lane that allows the drive in the first place.

There was one play where Naadir came down the lane, jumped and tossed up a floater, and landed right in front of the UNC defender in position. There was some slighty brushing of jerseys/bodies, but to call it a "collision" would be a gross overstatement. But if you saw the play, you know exactly what happened--this ever-so-slight contact was enough because the second the UNC defender felt that contact, he stopped trying to stand upright and fell to the floor. Obviously, a charge was called. Something--I don't know what--needs to be done to try and differentiate between being knocked down because someone plows into you and falling down because you felt some contact and know that if you fall, the likelihood of drawing a charge is high.

Aaron Craft's end of game play against ISU was very similar in that he is sliding in as the ISU player is driving from the wing, and IF he got to his spot in time, it was a fraction of a second before the ISU player left the floor. But the thing that really bothered me was that as soon as he felt a tiny brush of contact, he let his legs go and did the Nestea plunge backwards. Not because the ISU player actually knocked him over, but because he fell at the moment he knew his falling would likely draw a charge. I don't care about his foot being over the half-circle (except for the fact that Craft CLEARLY made a conscious choice to raise his heel in an attempt to fool the official into thinking he wasn't in the circle), because it should have been a blocking foul on position alone. I also thought it was a bit ridiculous to call a charge on the ISU player when in reality, both the ISU player and his defender collided into Craft. You shouldn't be able to draw a charge on an opponent while that opponent is being guarded closely by a teammate.

JayhawkRock78 2 years, 1 month ago

Sybesma, Spot on. We've got guys driving the lane full speed and someone jumps in front of them with maybe a half step of space making it nearly impossible to avoid a collision, because the ball handler is leaning forward driving hard. It is dangerous. The ball handler should have a full step in order to pull up or stop, but this happens in a fraction of a second.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Halftime, Lockeroom, D-Day: War's over, man. Williams dropped the big one.

Withey: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Horned Frogs bombed Our Offense? Hell no!

Rio: [whispering] Horned Frogs???

Wesley: Forget it, he's rolling.

Withey: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard. . . volleyball? beach? haircut?] . . . the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Ben?, Elijah? Travis? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns]

What the #(? happened to the Kansas I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Withey, we might get a shiner." Well just kiss my seven foot #$$ from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this.

Strickland, he's a dead man! Hairston, dead! McAdoo -

EJ: Dead! Withey's right. Psychotic stank face, but absolutely right. We gotta take these Tarheels. Now we could do it with conventional Big Ten weapons that could take years and cost millions of missed opportunities. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires really futile and stupid gestures be stopped on everybody's part.

Withey: We're just the guys to do it.

Travis: Let's do it.

Withey: LET'S DO IT!!

Young: Win.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 1 month ago

This team just became the scariest team when it can put it all together. Trav was aggressive and once again he did well when he was aggressive. Jeffs will was unstoppable. Flying in the air for dunks. Naddir coming in and knocking down step back threes. Suddenly if Ben and EJ can hit their shots, we become an offensive force. Feed Jeff, let him pass out once they double team, swing the ball and hit an open shot. Jeff has been a beast the tourney. He refuses to go down, it is great to see.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

In addition to Ben & EJ to "get it going"...would love to see Self give Perry more than the lowly 7 mins. he got yesterday too. Michigan could be a team that I could see Perry lighting it up against, a'la Iowa State in the Big XII Tourney.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Drgnslayr: The Analyst. And a very good one, I might add.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Once you find your voice it requires the right moment to use it.

This is yours.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 1 month ago

Kevin, the Happy Hustler. Love it. So true.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"For the Team without a Nick Name, a Post without a Title"

Part the First

Jeff Withey seems to be jumping higher and higher as the season goes along. And Nick Krug's photos after the fact seem to document what my eyes are telling me during televised games. This guy just keeps spending more and more time up around the top of the shooter's box. I always thought Jeff Withey would be good, because he was smooth, had a knack for blocking, a soft touch and decent footwork. But I never thought of him as much of a leaper, as an explosive player. But he really is an explosive player now. When Jeff gets juiced up about playing, he is starting to play like Bill Walton on defense. The guy has turned into a half court defensive force, not just a force in the paint. I know opponents talk about how much he is around the rim contesting shots, but the guy seemed to be everywhere on the defensive end of the floor. He is grabbing rebounds, blocking shots, breaking out an disrupting outside shots, stripping, hedging and so on. I though Cole Aldrich was a very active big man. Jeff Withey has finally achieved this level of activity. And Jeff's blocking knack and full footer length and toughness just makes him amazing.

Travis Releford should never have gotten all of those tattoos. He only needs one after his performance tonight. ABSOLUTE MAN.

Kevin Young is a human barometer on this team. When he sucks it is a sign that everyone else is going to suck, too. And when his personal barometric pressure starts to rise, it is a signal that the rest of the team is likely to rise, too. Let me remind people that KU has won 31 games playing a 185 pound power forward at the height of the XTReme Muscle Ball Era!!!!!! How mentally tough must this guy have to be to play the 4 at this weight? Self said at one point this season, while stewing about Perry Ellis progress, or lack there of, that it didn't matter when he played Kevin Young; that he would get the same thing out of Kevin Young no matter when he played. For awhile it sounded like Self was unappreciative of what Kevin brought. But Self was simply telling the truth; this carbon fiber power forward Kevin Young gives you near 10 and 10 every time there is a game that needs winning. And when there isn't a big game that needs winning he'll get you 7 and 7. Kevin played one of his worst halves the first half, and somehow came back and got 10 points and 9 rebounds. He became an impact animal that seemed to just show up everywhere along the baseline converting either short dribbles or passes into reverse layups. Just a phenomenal human being and basketball player. I have been a massive booster of this guy and even I wasn't sure Mr. Carbon Fiber could play a season of power forward and "getter done." But he just keeps doing it.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Jeff has really learned to become a stalker. It is fun to watch him checking out where the ball is, and who is going to bring him a tasty treat.

Travis needs to bring it every game, and stop deferring, or be willing to just be the D-stopper. We need him to deserve to be respected.

It took Kevin about 2/3's of last season to figure out what was going on in the program, but he really has figured it out. A lot of people were remembering too much of the start of last year in being dismissive of him, but once he found out how he was supposed to fit in where. Wow!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Part the Second

Ben Mac is going to be okay. It as to be a real eye opener to a freshman, no matter how good he may be, when he sees the other seniors turn the burner up yet another notch in the Madness. I mean, he's see the jump from practices to pre conference games. Adjustment. He's seen the jump from pre conference to conference. It was big. Then he saw the jump from the conference to the conference tourney. That surprised him, because he thought he had pretty much seen what these guys had to bring. But then he goes out onto the wood in the Madness and even the 16 seed is breathing fire and sneezing lightening like he has not seen before, and he sees his own teammates labor for awhile and then suddenly at the end Withey is getting up around the top of the box more often. Guys he thought simply couldn't get some of the places Ben was getting to during the regular season are suddenly GETTING THERE. Ordinary no lottery picks are getting up there with him. He's a little disoriented by it. Then he goes out against UNC and these UNC Mickey Ds are jumping around like Tse Tse flies on steroids, while his seniors are kind of hamstrung for a little while. Then suddenly they are breathing fire and talking about not wanting the season to end this way and suddenly Jeff Withey, Travis and Kevin are all launching everywhere as high as Ben ever has this season and pretty much non stop the second half. Its like Ben is watching someone drive a car that he thought could only do a 110 mph and suddenly finds out it can and does wind out to 150mph. Ben just saw today that all these seniors have yet another gear in their gear boxes, and the next couple of days he is going to realize he must have another one in his gear box. And he's going to have to shift into it to stay ahead of all these guys that to him seemed like nice, talented players, but not quite on his own level of athleticism. It had to be an awesome thing for him to behold. Holy shizz, these guys not only can get up with me, they can do it for a whole half with people screwing with them big time. Don't worry Ben. You have another gear in your gear box too. But you never knew you had it and you never used it before. You will find it the next game and you are going to surprise hell out of yourself and your teammates, because you are going to be going up to a new upper deck.

Perry and Jamari stay ready. Your big moments are coming. These UNC guys were Horicot Vert hoopahs--skinny guys, light weights, soft as the blue of their uniforms. Big, violent butchers are looming ahead--guys that would make head hunting cannibals in New Guinea consider becoming vegetarians. Jeff and Kevin are going to need you big time when the 250 pound bangers amp it up to then next level.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Part the Third

At the eye of this maelstrom on wood is Elijah The Prophet Johnson who dances like a turn over prone Wu Li Master with one knee at the end of each 2-game tourney, because he knows that it is he who pulls the strings and who pumps air through the pipes of this crazy calliope of impact mad Self ballers substituting impact for muscle, impact for 5 stars, and impact for media hype. The Prophet is listening to an inner voice no one else hears and even he cannot tell from whence it comes and how long he will hear it.

Bill Self is to the point of cursing at the top of his lungs and simultaneously saying this or that player really played great.

Is this college basketball time or what?!!

This is what the Madness is all about.

Not the damned talking heads.

Not the damned fans in the stands.

Not the betting spreads.

Not keeping games in broadcast windows.

Not realignment black ops.

It is about great athletes finding the XTReme Top Gear in the gear boxes of their hearts.

Next.

University of Michigan.

Ad astra per aspera.

Rock Chalk!!!

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

"Then he goes out against UNC and these UNC Mickey Ds are jumping around like Tse Tse flies on steroids, ..."

Excellent analysis all the way around, jaybate, but that line has to be one of your best ever.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 1 month ago

Not playing McBen much the rest of the way puts Coach in the position of appearing to drive his one and done stock down, yet his youth is not helping the team right now and by all rights he needs to be on the floor less as long as he is not producing or defending. Hope Coach is willing to let him ride pine for awhile. Might give him the idea that he will make more money in the long haul if he continues to learn at this level and get a little more seasoning. He can go make maybe $1.5M to start next year in the NBA or he can have a dominating year, win all the awards, show consistency, etc and be the overall no. 1 pick and start at maybe $5M per year. For every career in every field your entry pay sets the tone for your whole career. That is the thing these one n dones dont understand.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Ben will score 25 against Michigan.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 1 month ago

The Sports Illustrated Jinx ends for Ben after one week. You know that is how the curse works.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

People need to stop with that comment about how he can make much more money if he stays another year.

If you're starving and someone says you can have good meals for the rest of your life starting now, but if you wait another year you can have banquets, which would you take?

Given where he comes from and his situation, it would be ridiculous to begrudge him taking what he can get now. He simply can't afford to wait another year, and no one can blame him for that.

KJD 2 years, 1 month ago

Ants take the banquet in this scenario, grasshopper.

The United States are grasshoppers along with Spain, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Portugal...Germany and China are ants. You're offering the argument for spending now (grasshoppers) without any awareness that being patient, which includes saving (ants), is a common and acceptable choice for long term benefits. It's often wise to be patient.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 1 month ago

The starving part is part of the past. Somehow he has money for tattoos. He would be buying food instead of tattoos, if they were starving.

I am crazy about Ben and want him to be happy with his decision. But let it be his decision. I think he has so many people in his ear about his future right now, it's messing up his game.

Let the boy be and let him play!!

KULA 2 years, 1 month ago

Most of those guys can get a tattoo for their autograph or a photo with the tattoo artist.

actorman 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't mean he was literally starving; it was an analogy. I just meant that a lot of money now means an awful lot to someone coming from the projects. But as drgnslayr says, it should be his decision either way.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

drgn; The definitive analysis of Ben's choices. Thank you for such sage wisdom.

If I may borrow a jaybate-ism: PHOF!

KJD 2 years, 1 month ago

With 13:20 left in the second half, Ben McLemore left the game with Kansas leading 37-35. Ben was on the floor while we got back into the game. With all of the scoring threats that NC had, Ben definitely contributed to the team game that got us on the winning roll.

Luca Rossi 2 years, 1 month ago

No way KU brings in Cat Barber. If I remember correctly, KU pulled their scholly offer to him while he was here on his official visit. Rumor was that he tried to steal from the players. Don't know if its true or not but I don't see any way KU rekindles interest in him if Gottfriend leaves.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 1 month ago

"I don't know if anyone keeps up on twitter, but when UK lost in the NIT, Anthony Davis said he didn't watch the game, to which Kentucky fans told him not to forget where he came from. Anthony Davis' response: "I came from Chicago."

Wow. Unbelievable. Cannot imagine any KU player ever saying that. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk.

UK can have these players that think like this. We lose out on them for a reason. Was not meant to be, fortunately, for us.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Great observation on the personal identity concept. You are becoming our resident shrink.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I disagree. A LOT of people are saying that the reason for Howland being fired doesn't have to do with a lack of winning but a lack of "selling the program"....that seems to SCREAM Shaka Smart. Throw in the fact that the A-10 will be downgraded w/ the losses of Temple, Xavier & Butler all moving to new conferences next season and what he was trying so hard to build on takes a step back.

Micky Baker 2 years, 1 month ago

Withey came out in the second half with fire and led the team vocally and by example. It was evident within just 30 seconds of the start of the second half. The whole team responded. They now need to start games off like this. Hey, you have 2 games in 3 days this coming weekend. Leave nothing on the court.

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

They have one game this weekend. If they beat Michigan, they're rewarded with another one. They can't be thinking anything other than survive and advance. Or they won't.

KULA 2 years, 1 month ago

Watching Jeff intimidate is almost as fun as watching him block a shot. There were several possessions when a UNC player headed to the hole, saw Jeff looming, and pulled it back out. The shots Jeff alters or discourages are as big as the ones he blocks. His presence on defense was worth 10-20 points tonight. And his taking charge in the locker room is something probably no one expected before this year.

Jeffey, you are El Jefe!

nostradavid 2 years, 1 month ago

Imagine the Jayhawks playing two great halves in the same game.

Visualize ...

it's cosmic !

it's cosmic ! by nostradavid

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Great image.

Wish I had made that one.

BainDread 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it was one of the winners in the annual Nat. Geographic photo competition this year. Photos like that are why I gave up trying.

nostradavid 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to Wichita State for knocking off #1 Gone-zaga. The Shockers have a freshman that can hit treys when they need them. That was a fun game. Gone-zaga's Canadian 7 footer had a great game and it didn't matter. Now WSU is one game closer to playing KU.

Thanks for not picking KU this year, Mr. President !

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

I forget this strip. Archi and Mehitabel? Or what?

nostradavid 2 years, 1 month ago

Krazy Kat by George Herriman

Krazy Kat & Ignatz Mouse

Krazy Kat & Ignatz Mouse by nostradavid

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Call me crazy, but it worries the crap out of me that we have to make "halftime speeches" at this time of year.

With four starting seniors.

And (supposedly) the #1 NBA draft pick.

How about we just shut up and PLAY?

Kent Wells 2 years, 1 month ago

Crazy.

You asked. But, problem is, you aren't crazy. If we are needing speaches during tourney games, help us...

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

How about best senior class ever! I've said it more than once, at this point I'll be saying it for several years to come. I couldn't stand the idea of these guys losing their last game to either WKU or UNC. Michigan or UF is almost as bad. Really want to see these guys back in the FF.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Michigan or UF wouldn't be THAT bad - - - I think Michigan was No. 1 for a week and UF got as high as No. 2 - - - in fact would've been No. 1 but then lost - - - - very similar to how everyone said that we'd've been No. 1 before then losing to OSU at home and starting that 3-game losing streak.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

I mean bad as in 1) I really don't like Michigan of UF and 2) I really want to see this team keep winning.

Rock Chalk 2 years, 1 month ago

Whatever it takes.

I'll take speeches at halftime.

ccarp 2 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! I love the fight that we showed in the second half! Way to come strong! Please remember not to block shots in the 6th row, Jeff, we need your blocks to start transitions. I bet those 2 you threw out felt pretty good though. :-) Rock Chalk Withey Face and bumpin' block party! Well done seniors. Releford owns KC. Love the nails Naadir drove into the coffin!

FearlessJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear Ben, why are you so uptight? You have the "Deer in the headlights look". This is the second game you have been like this. Don't you realize this is your chance to show the NBA scouts what you can do? If you can't relax and play the way you are capable of, then you had been return next year so you can build your confidence because your stock is going down in a hurry. The NBA will eat you alive if you can't play the way you're supposed to. You will wind up in the D league. Is that what you want? Now get out there and show Trey Burke who the real star is!

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

Quote: " Don't you realize this is your chance to show the NBA scouts what you can do?" No doubt this is exactly why he is so uptight. He needs a clear mind, and instead he's playing with all those worries.

Yolanda Gay 2 years, 1 month ago

I just don't think Ben can handle pressure at this level. It started the 2nd game in the Big 12 tournament. He just looks lost and as you mentioned 'deer in the headlights'. Unfortunately, I feel his NBA stock is going down. He'll probably be a lottery pick but end up like Cole or worse Selby. I know with his family situation, he's off to the NBA but he's just not ready for the NBA. He plays great at AFH. But on the road, he just can't handle it. I hope I'm wrong; but I don't think we'll get much production from Ben this tournament.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

I remember that generalization about can't do it away from AFH, but then I remember near the end of the year as that was being said him then going on and having a HUGE game on the road.....trying to remember which one it was. Anybody remember?

Jayhawkcafe57 2 years, 1 month ago

Make the layups, reduce the number of turnovers, and play defence - KU wins it all. RCJH!!

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Man O Man, those were some very DETERMINED players, Naadir and Jayhawk seniors, in the second half! Fifteen minutes after I raid the pantry for a jolt of Evan Williams and return to curl timidly into the safe clutches of my familiar old recliner, Withey and Co. come roaring back from the locker room and absolutely turn the tables to send poor ol' Roy into strokeladen shock. But for the classless pregame boos of Coach Williams during introductions, this was another very satisfying Tournament win over one of the most heralded of all national hoops programs.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Second most heralded apparently legal program. :-)

UK was the most heralded of reputedly illegal programs, but the NIT 1 and Out took'em to a new sub basement of disgrace.

Funny, how the UK trolls have disappeared.

When are the bourbon barrel bung bangers going to resurface from this fiasco?

New bumper sticker in Lexington:

"WE DON'T RELOAD, WE IMPLODE!"

Ain't it grand, Coach, aint't it grand.

Self wins one ring and keeps winning 84% of his games, 9 straight conference titles and returns to the Finals, Elite Eight and Sweet 16.

Cal wins one ring and black holes. Does the disappear-o over the event horizon. Wriggles into the stillbilly worm hole.

Say, Coach, Self appeared to me to wait until the second half to follow your advice and "reel out some new stuff." But the new stuff didn't really seem to work very well. Highly deliberate new stuff. It almost seemed like the tried the players, who were chomping at the bit to go out and kicked some arse tried the new stuff, it didn't work so hot, and just said, "Let's go get 'em." It almost seemed for awhile like the players took the game away from Self the way the '88 team took the game away from LB the second half against Tubbs and Company in that Famous Finals.

What are your forensics on what went down out there the second half? You rightly identified the "determination" factor, but did anything else stand out to you in terms of how it was happening?

KANSTUCKY 2 years, 1 month ago

Pantry Raid!!! Sorry, couldn't resist. Dang I miss Lawrence.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Nick Krug, you did a fine job of capturing Roy WIlliams fiddling with his spectacles. I think that sometimes Roy's grasping the stem of his specs is indicative of inner torment, the futility of having to swallow and digest the topsy-turvy reversals which he has just seen.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

I was hoping that Jeff on his block of the three point attempt had tried to go coast to coast with it. The game was essentially over. Maybe if the coach was standing on the other sideline he may have tried it!

Think how badly we would have won that game if we hadn't bricked our first 15 or 20 shots.

Coach, watch tape of my Badgers on how to beat Michigan. Bo has lost to U of M once during his tenure at Wisconsin.

tis4tim 2 years, 1 month ago

Self, I believe, is 6-0 against Michigan lifetime. He knows how to beat the Wolverettes.

Oh, and imagine what else we could have done had we cut the 23 turnovers in half. Would have been a 30-point laugher.

Jason Roberts 2 years, 1 month ago

8-0 all-time but not against their current coach so the records, along with the bath water, needs to be thrown out the window.

tis4tim 2 years, 1 month ago

Self is 2-0 vs. Beilein, since both have been at their respective schools.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 1 month ago

Um,...they beat U of M home-and-away both 2 & 3 years ago....so no, not all that long ago. And at the VERY LEAST, Beilein was the coach there just 2 years ago when we won there 67-60 in Overtime. Remember that game.

bad_dog 2 years, 1 month ago

I believe that was the game where a very promising up & coming player by the name of Releford tore up his ankle and wasn't the same for a very long time. That may also have been the game where he had the huge tomahawk dunk.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 1 month ago

I think we did beat them at Ann Arbor a couple of years ago with Beilein coaching and Hardaway Jr. on the team. But they're much better now.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

It can never hurt to learn more ways to beat someone. :-)

Listen to wissox.

But it is also true that it is going to help KU to have played Michigan under Beilein last season.

Beilein runs the Princeton a bit differently, but...

its still the same old story,

a fight through moving screens,

a case of block and alter

And the fundamental treys apply

As time goes by.

Marilyn Robertson 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it is REALLY tacky for KU fans to boo Roy Williams. I was upset when he left KU, but he still supports KU when his team is not playing them. It is time to "get over it". And it seems rather unsportsmanlike.

kckuguy 2 years, 1 month ago

I think you and Roy both have REALLY thin skin and big egos. The fans were booing the opposing team come out, just like any home crowd does. Why so much loyalty to Roy, are you paying him back for all of his loyalty to KU ? We "got over it" when we upgraded to Bill Self. As someone said the other day, I wouldn't buy a used car from Roy and we don't need him sitting in the stands wearing a Jayhawk logo. Roy needs to move on now and quit living in the past.

jayhawkeratheart 2 years, 1 month ago

Why must we wait for the second half to pull things together. McLemore looks completely lost, still we wait for him to blossom, other team is scoring, EJ still making bad passing decisions, other team is scoring, McLemore looks completely lost, other team is still scoring. Lots of potential sits on the bench. Fans are dying for someone to lead the team,,,,, Tharpe shows up, controlled shooting, controlled dribbling, controlled passing............team begins to score. Play combinations seem to be working, What is it that HCBS feels that the same 5 must start every game, and we the fans must sit back at take the simply pathetic form of basketball that is being shoved down our throats as the best there is. We have great players that have yet to be seen, and not so great that continue to keep us on the edge of our seats. Fresh new line up to change the pace, and change the start is due...... Let's win the first half, as well as the second half.....RCJH...........

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Did you forget to mention this coach has averaged 30 wins a year for ten years, won nine straight conference titles, has been to two Final Fours and won a NC and year in/year out has teams that perform well above the sum of their parts??? I understand your frustration..maybe Bill needs to recognize a change is needed sooner in the game but his MO has always been loyalty to his seniors

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, let's change to a new lineup in the Sweet 16. This team is only 31-5, so obviously it's time to start over and retool. I'm so sick of 30-win seasons, Big 12 Championships, and tournament victories being "shoved down our throats."

tis4tim 2 years, 1 month ago

As happy as I am for our players, it occurred to me yesterday how thrilling it must be for Doc Sadler to be along for this ride. Nebraska is 0-6 all time in the NCAA tourney and hasn't made an appearance since 1998 when Danny Nee was still head coach.

And as good a coach as Doc is and as much excitement as he brought to Husker basketball after he was hired there, Doc never got to coach in the big dance. A few NIT appearances were all he could salvage. His teams did, however, excel defensively and I'm sure he is one of the reasons we are the #1 team in scoring defense this year. I'm glad he finally gets to taste victory on the biggest stage. Here's hoping we can finish out on a four-game win streak and bring home the hardware.

Rock Chalk, Doc!

JakeBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

KU has a great coaching staff. Fortunately, money talks!!!! I think Doc and all the rest are capable of leading teams to conference and tournament championships. I just hope they stay at KU longer.

Janet Olin 2 years, 1 month ago

Hooray for Travis and Jeff, bringing their leadership to the locker room speech. Good to see Jeff put out about the 'mandatory F1' elbow-to-the-eye no-call. Whatever motivation it takes is fine with me. Good 2nd half play, Naa! Constant energy from Kevin, as usual. Still concerned about EJ. Best pre-game line of the day from Barkley, when asked why he was looking forward to the KU game, said: '(be)cause Kansas gonna beat Carolina and Kenny can shut the hell up'. lol, Charles!

illuminatironin 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with ironhawk62. I think we are being overly critical of Rio. I think we kind of need some players with a little swagger. Do I think they need to represent the school in a positive light? Absolutely! But having somebody with some confidence isn't a bad thing.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

We were not in the same bracket in 2008.

Also, a friend / business acquaintance was on the selection committee this year: Regarding trying to set up potential matches of interest he replies:

"I wish we were that smart! No consideration at all, actually. The bracketing is basically automated so those things pop up and we say, 'wow, look at that'."

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 1 month ago

Great win. It doesn't change the very real problem that this team needs stand on the edge of ruin to become motivated. 1st half no energy, flat footed observers. With the exception of Kevin's put back (1st score of the game) no one was following their own shot. The entire team was asleep. Please understand this post is not meant to be critical or demeaning. The "comeback" is what movies are made of. This team is genuinely confusing to me and I believe to college basketball in general. I suspect it is their style of play that is the reason so few if any have picked the Hawks to win.

I believe we never live long enough to truly say "I have seen everything". I have given this some serious thought, probably too much. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. "If its not broken, don't fix it". I just hate watching games where I think the season is over, every game. That would make me the problem, not the Jayhawks. "Take care of each other and you will win another". RCJH KAAAUOOOOO!

JayhawkRock78 2 years, 1 month ago

I was over Roy leaving before he wore that KU sticker at the 2008 finals game. I agree the media should drop it. The man did good things for KU and is "back home".

Loved they way our boys came out in the second half. I'm proud of them all.

It sure did look to me like McAdoo dropped his elbow hard and fast on that layup. One way to double check is to see what he normally does on other layups. Either way, Jeff played through it like a stud!

If Rio DID something classless I'm am disappointed. Yes he is young, but no respect for coach of Roy's stature?

Kristen Downing 2 years, 1 month ago

Bigger stage next. McLemore will disappear. We need a hypnotist on staff!

Colby Hebert 2 years, 1 month ago

Naadir has ice in his veins. He will be what Bill Self calls an "assassin" for the next two years for us, something we have lacked this year in our guards. He wants the rock with the shot clock fading and the game in the balance, it is what he plays for. He will be dropping 25 foot step back daggers on our foes and crushing the dreams of opposing teams fans.. If you expand his assists to a starter's playing time he will be dropping them left and right as well. I am exciting for him to be our starting point guard next year.

Dale Kroening 2 years, 1 month ago

Releford needs 51 points for 1000 in his KU career. Would love to see him get it, he deserves it. As Self has said many times he is the Rock of this team, good luck Travis, keep playing like you did yesterday and youll get your 1000 !

Mike Gammill 2 years, 1 month ago

If we can play TWO halves in the same game, like we played in the 2nd half Sunday, there's not a team in the tournament that can stand up to us. That being said, how do you get there? Simple, you put the 5 out there that can get it done. If that 5 doesn't include Johnson and McLemore, I could care less. This is still a team sport, with a national championship on the line that KU is more than capable of winning. Self isn't HC to promote players on to the next level, he's there to win for the school. If a player is really that great, they'll perform, and be the lottery pick. If not, well..........

I hope he does put the 5 out there who seem to really click, and just win, baby!

Dale Kroening 2 years, 1 month ago

As he said in the postgame press conference, he's not going to change what we do. You dance with what got you here and thats EJ and Bmac in the starting lineup as they have got us here and to a 31-5 record. Its too late to change now. As he has always said, its not who starts the game, its who finishes. I have no problem him sitting a player like he did Ben if he's not on, and not playing well. Naa deserved to be in there at the end.That being said, we will need both EJ and Ben to have a chance to win it all, yes they do need to play better no doubt. Hopefully a week of preparation will get everybody ready for a really good Michigan team and they get off to a better start. RCJHGKU !!!!!!

JakeBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

"have got us here and to a 31-5 record." I don't disagree regarding your position of don't make any changes, but Withey and Young, if you pick two players, are the ones who got us here.

Dale Kroening 2 years, 1 month ago

I wasnt saying those 2 specifically getting us to 31-5, was saying those 2 in the starting lineup with the other 3. Its obvious we wouldnt be where we are at without Jeff and Kevin, or Travis for that matter. Should have worded it differently.

JayHok 2 years, 1 month ago

Relly and the Revelations. When Travis scores nine points KU is 26-0. When he brings his fire this year the Revelations are 31-0. When the Revelations swing the ball to the second side, enter into Withey, score if he's alone or pass back out if he's doubled they are 31-0.

Withey and the Wonders. When he is fired up and gets vicious dunks along with at least eight rebounds the Wonders are 31-0 thus far.

Self and the Spectaculars. When he coaches against Michigan he is 8-0. When he nurtures the spectaculars into swinging the ball around and wears down the opposing defense before the first entry pass to the block, the Spectaculars are 31-0.

McLemore and the Magicians. When he goes to the gym everyday including and especially game day to loosen up his shooting hand and wrist into a state of freshly poured milk the Magicians are 31-0. When he dances and grins, even metaphorically, before, during and after the game, the Magicians are 31-0.

Elijah and the Excitables. When he gets the Excitables juiced and dancing they are 31-0. Forget turnovers. When he is having bigtime fun swinging the ball back and forth, not forcing, knowing the opposing D's weakness will eventually be revealed, the Excitables are 31-0.

Kevin and the Kawasakis. His energy is infectious to the Kawasakis. When he gets a reverse dunk the Kawasakis are 3-0. When he gets a dunk of any sort early in the game followed by a thunderous shout to jump start the other Kawasakis' spark plugs, they are 31-0.

Robert Hunzicker 2 years, 1 month ago

If Ben cannot play in front of the NCAA crowd at sprint....He definately belongs back in school for another year. He is good, but cannot dribble, cannot go left and cannot play defense. Coach put him on the bench, the team played nuch better because every one knew what to do and where to be....SIMPLE another yeaR OF LEARNING.

dehawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe some of the bloggers on here. This was suppose to be another down year and yet we win the Big 12 and are going to the sweet 16. Stop second guessing the coach and the players. Did you learn nothing from the one bad week. The players said despite the negative comments from fans, they pulled together and supported each other. Why can't we do the same. We are called "fans" aren't we?

MrPilot 2 years, 1 month ago

Speaking of the Sweet 16, congrats to the Lady Jayhawks for making it there! Rock Chalk!