Sunday, March 24, 2013

UNC coach Roy Williams: Loss stings, but not because of history with KU

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, center, puts his hands on his head during after a missed bucket by the Tar Heels in the second half, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

YouTube

KU-UNC reaction

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey

Kansas coach Bill Self and seniors Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over North Carolina on March 24, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

UNC coach Roy Williams, Marcus Paige, James Michael McAdoo

North Carolina coach Roy Williams, guard Marcus Paige and forward James Michael McAdoo talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 70-58 victory over UNC on March 24, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-UNC

— For the first time in his three match-ups with his former school, North Carolina coach Roy Williams watched his team be the more physical team during Sunday's third-round showdown at Sprint Center.

By game's end, however, the scene was the same as it had been after the first two meetings in 2008 and 2012 — an emotional Williams sitting at the podium congratulating Kansas and talking about the disappointment of another season finished.

“The fact that I coached there for 15 years is extremely important to me,” Williams said following KU's 70-58 victory Sunday. “But it doesn't add anything today. I hurt for myself. I hurt for the kids in the locker room. The fact that it was Kansas, you know, (in) 1990 we lost to UCLA in the second round. I'm still pissed off about that because we were pretty doggone good. I remember UTEP in '92, Virginia in ('95). I can name every one of them. Every one of them hurt. That's it.”

After the game, North Carolina's players, who have come to love Williams like a father, saw their coach's 0-3 record against KU two ways.

“It hurts a lot,” senior Dexter Strickland said. “I know how much it means to him, but I don't think we were as focused on how much it means to him as we were just trying to get to the Sweet 16.”

Added sophomore guard P.J. Hairston: “I don't think it's just about beating Kansas. It's about winning, period. We wanted to win him a championship. And, unfortunately, it didn't end the way we wanted it to.”

For 20 minutes Sunday, it looked as if Williams might finally break his personal losing streak to the Jayhawks. North Carolina (25-11) raced out to a 12-2 lead, was by far the more aggressive team and led 30-19 late in the half before taking a 30-21 lead into the locker room at the break.

That all changed quickly, though, when the teams returned to the floor for the second half, as Kansas started the final 20 minutes with a 16-3 run and led by 12, 50-38, with less than 10 minutes into the final frame.

“I felt like we were fine at halftime,” Hairston said. “We were definitely all over the place on defense, causing a lot of turnovers (12), and we thought we could come out in the second half and do the same thing. But when we came out, Kansas was the aggressor.”

With every KU bucket, the pro-Kansas Sprint Center crowd grew louder, fueling the Jayhawks' 49-28 second-half onslaught.

“Yeah, it felt like we were playing at Kansas,” UNC junior Reggie Bullock said.

Both teams shot terribly in the first half, with Kansas making just seven of 28 shots (25 percent) and UNC hitting just 11 of 42 (26.2 percent). But the Jayhawks (31-5) caught fire in the second half, shooting 63 percent (17-of-27) to finish at 44 percent for the game. UNC remained ice cold, finishing just 22-of-73 (30 percent) for the night. For the umpteenth time this season, KU center Jeff Withey played a huge role forcing KU's opponent to shoot such a poor percentage. In addition to his 16 points and 16 rebounds, Withey blocked five shots and altered countless others.

Added UNC big man James Michael McAdoo: “I think (Withey) does a great job of working with his guards, not really leaving the rim that much, which made it really hard to finish a lot of plays.”

The victory moved the Jayhawks into the Sweet 16 for the third consecutive season and, for the second year in a row, sent Williams home with a heavy heart.

“Congratulations to Kansas,” Williams said. “They were phenomenal in the second half today. ... They're a No. 1 seed for a reason.”

Comments

Jason Keller 1 year, 4 months ago

Doesn't get any classier than Roy Williams. Even when they were up at half, he couldn't help but credit the Jayhawks. Roy, I'm happy you pulled through your health scare last year, we aren't done with you yet. :) Until next time, old friend.

Hank Cross 1 year, 4 months ago

Not a class act at all, not recruiting against Smith when Roy was at KU. The following exchange should've happened.

KUAD: Why didn't you go after player X? Roy: B/c I promised Coach Smith I wouldn't recruit against him. KUAD: Either you are 100% for us or you'r fired. Roy: I couldn't ever do anything against Coach Smith. KUAD: You're fired.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

RIght. He should have been fired because he signed duds like Paul Pierce and Nick Collison instead of Rasheed Wallace and Vince Carter.

Marc Frey 1 year, 4 months ago

Rock Chalk. Lets right a couple of things and move on.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

Somebody should've showed this to Julius Randle a couple weeks ago.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 4 months ago

Some interesting numbers regarding Self and Roy:

Self got to 300 wins at KU in 10 seasons, Roy got to 300 wins at KU at the end of his 11th season.

Self is 4-1 lifetime head to head vs. Roy.....1-1 while Self was at Illinois and 3-0 at KU.

In the KU/UNC series, Roy is 1-5 lifetime against "the other team". Roy went 1-2 vs. UNC while at KU and is 0-3 vs. KU while at UNC.

All of Self's wins vs. Roy's have all been by double digits: 16, 18, 13 and 12 respectively.

Roy had 282 wins in his first 10 years at KU. Coincidentally, he has racked up exactly 282 wins in his first 10 years at UNC.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 4 months ago

Very interesting statistics! Thanks for sharing!

741hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Someone said that was about as good a half of basketball as a team could play. I agree. NOTE: Wouldn't you have loved to have been in the locker room at halftime to have heard what the coaches said / the adjustments they made?

jayhawkboogeyman 1 year, 4 months ago

Travis said the coaches didn't say anything. Just told them to talk to each other and figure out what they needed to do.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

And yet the best (?) player on the team was non-existant. And EJ was only slightly better.

There is a lot more this team can do. A lot more.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

They still have time to prove it. Just need 4 more wins.

Joel Hood 1 year, 4 months ago

Good ole UNCle Roy. Glad you you are there and Bill is here.

davehawkSWK 1 year, 4 months ago

Coach, you were a class act when coaching at KU and are a class act at NC. NC had a good season; but KU has had a better season. It looked for a while that I was going to witness a game with a sense of Deja Vu from the '90's when the Hawks were highly rated but lost to a lower ranked team. This time, however, they came back and took care of business.

Good luck to you coach, next year. RCJH

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Why deja vu from the '90s? KU has had its share of those losses in the 2000's as well. Let's hope we've put that type of thing behind us for a long time.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

None worse then the final game of the 2002-03 season.

johninkc1 1 year, 4 months ago

Classy remarks by Williams. Hope we can take care of Michigan the same way.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 4 months ago

Roy,

Your Kansas team didn't lose to Virginia in '96. Your team lost to Virginia in 1995. 1996 was the year KU lost to Syracuse in the Elite 8.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 4 months ago

You beat me to that one.UVA manhandled KU in Kansas City, that one was just painful to watch. Inside the paint was like an LAPD beatdown. That particular loss you would never see with a Bill Self team. The Syracuse game hurt because we were SO close, and Billy Thomas missed a chance at a wide open lay-up late in the game when he let the pass bounce off his hands and out of bounds. So painful.

Chieflington 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought 97 was worse. We were the #1 over all and lost to Arizona in the sweet 16.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I was going to say the same. I still remember everone o f those. By the way, scrolling down on my ipad, i accidently hit "suggest removal" on your post. Sorry, but dont know how to undo.

Jesse Newell 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks. It should be corrected above with parentheses for the year he meant.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

Very few people have an idadic memory. There are some seasons for whatever reason I don't remember who KU lost to in the tournament and have to look it up.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats to your 300, coach! I wonder if you keep the same starting line-up or will it's Naa's turn to sub BMac. Either way, godspeed Rock Chalk all the way!

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Good question; I was wondering the same thing.

I think it's probably best to stick with BMac and hope that he's gotten through whatever his issues were in the first two games. On the other hand, I'd keep him on a pretty short leash, like in the second half.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Coach Self has already said he's not changing the starting line-up. He has also said it doesn't matter who starts the game, as much as it matters who finishes the game.

741hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Great move by Coach to sit MClemore. KU plays so much better with Tharpe at point. It makes EJ the excellent player he can be at the 2.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

This post reminds me of the number 12. We beat NC tonight by 12. We outscored NC in the paint by 12. Tharpe scored 12 points tonight.

There is also this: 2:4. Tharpe had 2 assists and 4 turnovers. As a point guard he really needs to improve on that ratio in big situations. It's called poise by some and composure by others. I have to say that Tharpe showed his composure when he drained the bucket at Oklahoma State in double overtime and his poise in draining those threee 3's tonight in the second half. Tharpe has said he wants to be a coach some day, the next step for him is showing that he can be a coach on the floor when making decisions with the ball on the court, in the split moment. I have confidence that he will keep growing towards that. Tonight is a step in building that confidence in making plays in crunch time. Way to go Naadir. Don't be satisfied. Keep on growing!

Micky Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

The players need to learn from this and play with this intensity from the start, but under control. When Kansas was under control they were clearly the best team today and the second half, in particular the first 10 minutes is what can win a championship.

chriz 1 year, 4 months ago

--“When I got into the lane, I was worried about the shot-blocker too much,” Bullock admitted after the game.

How many times have we heard that? Withey's fantastic.

VaJay 1 year, 4 months ago

It was amazing how many times their guards/forwards would start a drive towards the hoop and immediately get rid of the ball as soon as they saw Withey - they knew the odds of it getting swatted were way too high.

Next season he will be missed by us more than we realize. The guy is an incredible presence in the lane at this level & I hope he gets a good chance to demonstrate that in the NBA.

jhawkr 1 year, 4 months ago

Fantastic after he finally woke up from the elbow to the face ! His play the first half was very undesirable. Missed lay up after missed lay up and he exhibited no grip on the basketball as they repeatedly slapped it loose or bumped him out of the paint. Thankfully he woke up and had a great second half performance ......

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

For every block he gets, he probably causes 2 or 3 more misses because he intimidates the shooter into altering their shot. He's just an amazing defensive player. I thought second team all American was about right but I now take that back. Nobody in college basketball has the kind of impact on the game Withey has. He got jobbed not being consensus all American. From 97 lb. weakling as a freshman to this. Who would have thunk it?

VaJay 1 year, 4 months ago

Agreed Jhox! It's too bad they don't count in defensive impact like they should. It's all offensive numbers come decision time.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

Exactly, and the thing is, his offensive numbers aren't that bad...within 3 or 4 points a game of the top offensive centers.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

Interesting that the first upsetting tourney losses that pop into Roy's head are from 90, 92 and 96... not 97 and 98 which are the first ones that pop into my head.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 4 months ago

In '90 he was still living in Larry Brown's shadow and had his first shot in the tourney. He had a great team and that game would be the first chance to answer the question of whether he could coach in the tourney or not. When Rick Calloway's shot bounced off the rim at the buzzer, there was a collective gloom over the program and it's future. No expected the run he had in '91 that changed all of that, but that '90 loss was hard to swallow and I know it had to bother coach Williams.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Just hadn't gotten that far. Said he remembered them all.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

That 1990 UCLA loss was the most painful in my memory. I was in a funk for weeks. I finally decided that it was stupid to let a lost basketball game do that to me. Since then I've been able to let it go after a day or two. 1997 was tough. We were far and away the best team in the country, but I was determined not to obsess about it.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

Actually, Releford will probably get Hardaway. Regardless, our defense has a way of making these great guards look pretty normal, wiht the exception of the first couple of games against ISU. I like our match ups.

The ESPN talking heads are already talking upset. Just the way we like it. People love underestimating KU teams, and KU teams love making them look stupid for doing so. RCJH.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 4 months ago

Awkward moment when you realize a 16 seed gave you a tougher game than the 8 seed with your former coach and McDonalds all Americans up and down the bench.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 4 months ago

That's just March Madness. No need to analyze it much.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

Wowza, some good insight to our team defense and our coaching from James Michael McAdoo: "I think (Withey) does a great job of working with his guards, not really leaving the rim that much, which made it really hard to finish a lot of plays."

The next step in the tournament is against two talented Michigan guards–Burke and Hardaway Jr–along with a talented Freshman front court player in Robinson "The Big Dog JR" who is a bit smaller than dad and not showing the same paint presence as his dad quite yet. Michigan center 6-10 McGary was good against VCU–thanks for knocking those guys off maze and blue–though you will always like Withey in every match up in this tournament. Let's repeat: Withey is the man!

When Withey gets into Monster mode the south bracket gets in trouble.

This relationship between guard defense and Withey defense is also great insight to what Releford and Johnson do. I love these Seniors for getting us to another Sweet 16.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

I assume Releford will get the assignment to defend Burke. I like our chances of Travis keeping him in check. As long as we don't shoot too poorly I like our chances of winning that one.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm with you on Releford matched up against Burke on Friday. If Johnson does well on Hardaway Jr, which I think he will, we have our strength going against their strength plus we have Withey. I was impressed by Young's defense on Harriston, Harriston did get his, yet he never got on a big roll. So it will be good to see how Kevin does against Robinson next. I think we win this next one too due to Withey being the man!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

<chuckling to myself>

<chuckling to myself> by jayhawkinATL

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice mashup.

No wait. Its real. :-)

tahawk81 1 year, 4 months ago

Id like to see all the bitterness towards Roy to stop. Its been 10 years, we have a NC, and we have beat him 3 times now. He is always gracious in defeat and did alot for the University. I was attending KU when he left and was as mad as anyone. I root for him now when they arent playing us. Great win today, lets keep it going.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, I think I'm about over it. Still annoyed that they get so many McD All-Americans compared to us. It's no big deal because Self gets the talent he needs and makes them great, bu we should almost always get exactly who we want.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Here is what I have to say about Roy.

Next.

GeoHawk15 1 year, 4 months ago

Love my Jayhawks, but you stress me out. Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Here is what I have to say about UNC being physical.

None

by jaybate

None

by jaybate

None

by jaybate

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Note: these photos are all Nick's shutterwork.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Have never seen Withey sky so high!!!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Here is what I have to say about Roy's losses at KU in 1990, 1992, and 1996.

2008.

2012.

2013.

JayhawkMarshall 1 year, 4 months ago

Your the best Roy. Kansas will always love you for what you did for us.

Chieflington 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, he won so many titles.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

He may not have been able to close the deal at KU, but Roy did keep KU from cratering after Larry left and KU was banned from the NCAA tournament in 1989. Had Roy not been the great coach that he was, KU very easily could've turned into an irrelevant program. Roy also left KU in great shape for Bill to come in and have the success he has had as well.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Now, let's go skin and eat some Wolverine.

Roast it over a cottonwood fire and baste it with some Sunflower Sauce.

Ad astra per aspera

RedJay 1 year, 4 months ago

“Yeah, it felt like we were playing at Kansas,” UNC junior Reggie Bullock said.

Sadly, you will never have the privledge of playing "at Kansas," Sir. We'll treat you to the real deal, just tell that fatherly coach of yours to pick up the phone.

That said, our crowd straight brought it tonight. Hats off to all of you, wish I could have been there when Withey went all dunkety dunk donk on that place.

741hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Tarheels played an Angry Withey.

Herbisco 1 year, 4 months ago

McAdoo really messed up with that elbow to the Withey face. Nobody wants to play an angry Withey!

RockyMountainHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Did anyone else see Anrio Adams disrespect coach Williams in the handshake line? Everyone else shook his hand and said something. Adams just gave him a dirty look and turned his head. I didn't get it on the dvr so I can't look back, but can someone verify that I wasn't imagining things?

kellerman411 1 year, 4 months ago

Probably has to do with something back on the recruiting trail. Perhaps he felt snubbed or something.

MrPilot 1 year, 4 months ago

I saw that too. It was very disappointing to see. Kansas players should be more respectful than that. Hopefully Coach Self will find out about it and have a talk with him.

RockyMountainHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

So I wasn't imagining things. You've just got to wonder about a kid that acts like that. I'm sure coach Self will deal with things appropriately.

stupidmichael 1 year, 4 months ago

“Yeah, it felt like we were playing at Kansas,” UNC junior Reggie Bullock said.

Clearly Reggie Bullock has never played in AFH...

Speakeasy 1 year, 4 months ago

Like Coach Williams, I'm still pissed off about that loss to UCLA in 1990, too.

Joel Hood 1 year, 4 months ago

Am I the only one that remembers the no-call hard foul on Jeff Gueldner that would have tied the game in the final seconds?

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't remember that foul. What I remember is Rick Calloway, with a few seconds left, putting up a missed shot in transition to win the game. People remember that team for smoking Kentucky at Allen.

That was also the same team that beat Shaq's #2 LSU Tigers at LSU plus #1 UNLV in Madison Square Garden in back to back games on their way to winning the pre-season NIT. To top it off we beat St. John's in the Garden to win it. Those wins signaled a quick return for Kansas back to national prominence after our NCAA sanction year and we've been on quite a roll ever since that early winter of '89-'90.

wissoxfan83 1 year, 4 months ago

The other times we've gone up against Roy, I've felt like we've been evenly matched and felt satisfied beating them. Today I felt sorry for Roy. Not sure what's happened over there, but he's got a pretty bad team there. It was pretty obvious why they were on the bubble. I still have great admiration for what he's done at both schools. The Yahoo story said that the Sprint Center crowd booed him. Is that really true? I know there's a few knuckleheads with hard feelings towards him, but would KU fans really boo Roy?

Jim Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

I didn't want to play UNC again. I was rooting for VCU. They need some payback. Roy already has had his payback.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

I was at the game, and I didn't agree with the wording of that Yahoo story that Roy was "booed heavily." There were definitely boos along with some cheers when Roy was introduced, but I don't think the booing was any louder than it was for the Tar Heels in general. The crowd was really amped up for the game, and for beating UNC, and was not focused on the coaches one way or the other.

MrPilot 1 year, 4 months ago

I feel sorry for Coach Williams (but not for North Carolina) having to endure a third loss in a row to Kansas. If it is true that some in the crowd were booing him today (as I've read in a couple of stories) that's very sad. The man still loves Kansas, and Kansas should be grateful to have had him as our Head Coach for 15 years. He was a great steward of our history and tradition.

Thank you, Coach Williams, and Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think the booing was really as widespread as it's being depicted, and I don't particularly "feel sorry" for Roy either. He's done just fine since he left, and may have another championship or two in his future. But I agree with everything else you said -- I'll always have a soft spot for the guy and wish him well when he's not playing against us.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

Did anyone else think that the elbow on Withey's face should have been a flagrant foul? Replays clearly show that McAdoo's arm did not stay up and came down and forward until it made contact with Withey's eye when his arm was perpendicular to his body. If Withey's eye swelled up shut, it could have changed the game big time

On a separate note, classy move by Coach Williams pulling his starters out with a minute left and not turning the end of the game into a hopeless foul fest.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

And yet, how long did it take EJ to almost singlehandedly turn around the 2nd ISU?

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I couldn't hear the commentary, but by the letter of the rule, which we've already seen the stupidity of in this tournament, contact with the elbow above the shoulders is a flagrant foul. Can anyone clarify that?

Ronald Cox 1 year, 4 months ago

It looked suspicious but could have been accident.

Alex Thiessen 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, but it fueled the fire inside Withey more with the no call. As stated above, no one wants to play against an angry Withey!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

Could have gone either way. I took it more as he was thinking this guy is in my way who's blocked or affected every shot the entire game, so I need to get him out of the way.

Ronald Cox 1 year, 4 months ago

Our teams are great at sportsmanship. Our fans by booing Roy are not fans, they are jerks and should be banned from games!

Eric Dawson 1 year, 4 months ago

Folks, first hand reports from the Sprint Center -- compared to the write up of a reporter who may have an ax to grind, or otherwise heard what he was looking for because it would be a "story" -- were this:

As one would expect in a virtually "home" setting, the crowd booed every "visiting" player as they were announced, and then booed the "visiting" coach as he was announced. It was nothing more than the usual treatment for a visiting team, and Roy got no worse than his players. In fact, reports were that applause could also be heard coming from the Kansas fans, interspersed with the par-for-the-course boos, as Roy was introduced.

So don't buy what the shysters and hucksters are selling. It's a waste of your energy and a disservice to the fans.

cklarock 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks LTCUSARet. Appreciate your POV on this one.

Ronald Cox 1 year, 4 months ago

Watching on TV from Virginia, one could not hear the applause over the Boos. Our national image is of poor sports! I do not care if others do it. That is not an excuse for us to be nasty and unsportsmanlike!

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 4 months ago

At the game Friday there were cheers and boos for Roy. I'd say more cheers than boos.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

I've never been big on booing the opposing team or coach in the introductions, no matter who it is. I was at the game and I clapped for Roy, but I have no problem with those who booed. It's just part of the game. As the original poster here said, it was no louder or nastier than it was for the Tar Heels in general or would have been for any other opponent.

Chris1955 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree with you, However, I do make an exception for two teams, Mizzou and the Oakland Raiders.

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 4 months ago

12,13,18. The points UNC has lost by to KU since HCBS arrived.

kufankam 1 year, 4 months ago

i am of the opinion that roy should be welcomed back to KU (after he retires) for a game to be honored at a halftime. i think he deserves to have all his players come back and join with him watching a highlight reel play on the video board! he brought SO MANY great moments to lawrence. we cheer for them on a yearly basis during pre-game videos.... why not celebrate those moments with him once it is all said and done?! i think an extended standing ovation would be appropriate and would be great to see once he has hung it up. i really hope KU does something like this to honor one of our finest coaches!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

I have no problem with those who booed him at the game, but I think this is a good idea and I would love to see it.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Something tells me Jaybate will take a pass on your suggestion. :)

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

If KU can do this for Norm Stewart then it can certainly do it for Coach Williams. I was at that game and when he was presented a rocking chair I started the "sit down Norm" chant and few seconds later the entire Fieldhouse joined. Still a cool story after all these years.

jhawkjedi 1 year, 4 months ago

Roy Williams is a great coach and a good person. He did more to build KU basketball into what it is today than anyone other than Phog Allen. The program had serious issues when he took over, despite having just won the national championship. Almost immediately, he turned it into one of the elite 2 or 3 programs in the country, which we had not been in many years prior to his tenure. Had he stayed at KU instead of going home to NC, he would have won championships here. KU fans that choose to boo &/or hate Williams are either disingenuous, ignorant, classless or a combination of the same. Let it go. It is well past time to give Roy his just rewards.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Something tells me Jaybate will take a pass on your suggestion as well. :)

jhawkjedi 1 year, 4 months ago

Just telling it like it is. KU fans should not act like those SEC members, contiguous to us on our east side. ;)

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I would support Larry Brown over Roy for that distinction. Larry took over after Ted Owens and got the Jayhawks to two Final Fours with Danny Manning. He also left Roy a pretty good group of players to start with. Yes, there was the ban on post-season play that first year, but it may or may not have affected KU's ability to return and defend the title anyway. I'd say Larry put KU on a upward trend and Roy took that and built upon it. I just think Larry was the one who got KU rejuvenated and into the upper tier of schools again.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

Larry rejuvenated KU then bolted. Roy made it sustainable.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't agree with your comments about Roy. He was on the cusp of a national title too many times at KU for anyone to declare that he NEVER could have won one here. He's won two at UNC, and I don't believe those teams were more talented than his best teams at KU ('96-'98, 2002)--not to mention the fact that Roy took two teams with virtually no NBA talent to the Final Four in '91 and '93.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

He won his first Championship mostly with Players he inherited, the second is all his.

AsadZ 1 year, 4 months ago

I remember when Roy coached KU team got hammered by Self coached Illinois team. Roy is all about Run & Gun. Self is all about being physical, Defense comes first mentality.

Unfortunately today's top recruits do not want to hear it but results have clearly shown that Self's philosphy leads to greater success in the long run.

Hank Cross 1 year, 4 months ago

Agree w/slayr 100%. Roy never taught his teams to take a punch in the mouth and come back. He was hopelessly outcoached many times in the tourney - UTEP and UVa spring to mind. No adjustments by Huckleberry at all. Brown took a team with Piper starting and Clinti Normore and Scooter Barry as subs and won the NC. Roy couldn't win the NC with Paul freaking Pierce and LaFrentz and Vaughn and Pollard.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

Self has suffered many early-tourney upsets too (as has every coach who's been in this game for a long time). A couple of free throws and/or miracle shots are the only thing that separates Roy from having one or two titles during his years at KU and Self from having none.

Both of these guys have had highs and lows. Both have, at times, won with lesser talent and lost with superior talent. And both are at the pinnacle of their profession. It's fine if you want to argue that Self is better, but give Roy the respect he deserves.

jhawkjedi 1 year, 4 months ago

Absolutely on point. Both fine coaches with different styles. Each have lost with great teams and won with lesser talent. Roy's early years at KU were amazing success stories with lesser talent.

I wonder what Self-adorers would think if Chalmers miracle shot had not gone in. That win, singularly, made Bill millions of smackeroos and adoring fans.

Tom Richmond 1 year, 4 months ago

It's finally time for Coach Williams detractors to get over it. What many of you have forgotten is that Roy took our basketball program from probation to national prominence. He is a Hall of Fame Coach and a great guy.

chindo 1 year, 4 months ago

“Yeah, it felt like we were playing at Kansas,” UNC junior Reggie Bullock said.

Hmmm, really? Why don'cha come down for a game sometime at Allen Fieldhouse? pretty sure the sprint center would be as quiet as a wheat field on a moonlit night in comparison.

And +1 for the positive words for Coach Williams. Cool dude, and I'll always think of him fondly. No boos from me. He's always been a class act and just a good guy.