Sunday, March 24, 2013

Kansas-Carolina more than coaches

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams talks with media members about the Jayhawks' defense, Saturday, March 23, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

— Bill Self doesn’t see today’s Kansas-North Carolina basketball game as a battle between the current and former head coaches of the Jayhawks.

“I don’t know if there’s any importance at all about the coaches, at least from my perspective. I think if coach (Roy) Williams and I were to go out there and play 1-on-1, I think I could back him down on the post pretty good,” said KU coach Self, a 50-year-old former starting point guard at Oklahoma State. Williams, 62, was a point guard on the JV team at North Carolina.

“Of course, he could beat me on the golf course,” Self added of Williams. “This is two good teams playing each other.”

Hype being what it is, however … today’s third-round NCAA Tournament game between Self’s No. 1-seeded Jayhawks (30-5) and Williams’ No. 8-seeded Tar Heels (25-10) — tipoff is 4:15 p.m. at Sprint Center — has the focus square on the coaches’ shoulders.

Williams, who went 418-101 in 15 years at KU, picked up his 700th coaching victory (against 179 losses in 25 years) Friday, courtesy of the Tar Heels’ 78-71 second-round NCAA win over Villanova.

Self, who won his 500th game earlier this year — he’s 506-163 in 20 seasons — today goes for his 300th victory in 10 seasons at KU. He’s 299-58.

“There are good players on both teams,” Self said.

The Tar Heels, in fact, start five McDonald’s All-Americans (guards Reggie Bullock, P.J. Hairston, Marcus Paige, Dexter Strickland and center James Michael McAdoo), while KU brings All-American Perry Ellis off the bench.

“They (teams) are tradition-rich, intertwined with coach (Dean) Smith playing on the (KU) 1952 national championship team and him being maybe as innovative and great a leader of a program we’ve ever seen at North Carolina and coach (Larry) Brown being a great player there and winning a national championship here. Coach Williams obviously had 15 great years here, now being the head coach there,” Self added.

“There are some bitter rivalries out there, but I don’t see anything bitter about this at all. What’s unbelievable (is) in the tradition-rich years of both our programs, we’ve only played 10 times, and almost all have been in the NCAA Tournament. They (meetings) are few and far between, so I’m sure the fan base of both programs will enjoy the game.”

UNC is 6-4 against KU all-time. Five of the meetings have come in NCAAs.

Most fans remember the two games involving UNC coach Williams against his former school. KU won, 80-67, in last year’s Elite Eight in St. Louis and also prevailed, 84-66, in the 2008 Final Four semis in San Antonio.

Self went 1-1 versus Williams’ Jayhawks when Self coached at Illinois.

“I thought McAdoo was the best big guy in the game (last year). He’s a load,” Self said of 6-9 sophomore McAdoo (14.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg), who is the only big man in UNC’s four-guard lineup.

“They are playing small with Hairston (6-5, 220 soph., 14.5 ppg) at the 4. He’s still a good-sized guy. They will try to take advantage of taking our bigs away from the basket. We have to take advantage of scoring the ball inside.”

The two teams played to a 47-47 halftime tie a year ago.

“I remember the second half coming out and creating some separation,” KU senior point guard Elijah Johnson said. “It was back-and-forth the whole time. We finally got the separation we wanted.”

McAdoo had 15 points and four boards in that game. Of KU’s returning players, Jeff Withey had the best game with 15 points, eight rebounds and three blocks.

“They have four guards, can stretch the floor. We can do that math, and we know how to go about it,” Johnson said. “We can also stretch the floor. I don’t think it (four-guard lineup) is something we haven’t seen. We also played Iowa State three times this year (and won three against the smaller, three-point-shooting Cyclones).”

The Jayhawks, who edged No. 16-seed Western Kentucky, 64-57, in Friday’s second round, say they totally respect UNC, despite the 8 seed. A year ago, KU was seeded second and UNC first when KU prevailed.

“That number doesn’t matter. It’s two teams, 10 players, and they’ve got to play,” Johnson said.

The Jayhawks are extra-enthused playing a tradition-rich program such as Carolina. KU enters second in all-time victories with 2,100. UNC is third at 2,090, with Kentucky leading the pack at 2,111.

“North Carolina and Kansas ... just seeing these two great programs and now being able to play at Kansas and play against another great program is what I’m looking forward to,” KU freshman Ben McLemore said. “I’m really excited about this game.”

It was suggested he might have had a case of the jitters Friday when his NCAA debut resulted in 11 points, four turnovers and two assists.

“Not at all. I definitely wasn’t nervous,” McLemore said. “My shots weren’t falling (2-of-5), but I got to the line (7-of-8) and got an alley-oop. I was trying to get in the game and help my team any way I could. I don’t want to rush anything, force anything, just play my game and have fun like I’ve been doing.”

As far as today’s game, to be shown on CBS, Johnson said: “Yes, it’s a big game. It’s what you come to Kansas for. You don’t sit back and want it to happen. You’ve got to make it happen.

“When coach offers you a scholarship, you know you come here to play against teams like this, the Dukes, the Carolinas, the Kentuckys. That there is enough. You’ve got to be ready to play. You get a chance to advance.”

Today’s winner will advance to next Friday’s Sweet 16 and a game against Michigan at a yet-to-be -determined time in Dallas.

Comments

Kent Wells 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not looking ahead.... I'm very nervous anout UNC. That said, Michigan sure looked good today. And what a gutty performance by the Shockers...

And I thought Roy had a pretty good winning percentage in his 15 - Coach Self is crushing it! Wow....

CasperCorps 1 year, 8 months ago

Seems like all player interviews are rehearsed same lines over and over... Nobody wants to give up any bulletin board material

Lash 1 year, 8 months ago

They may be rehearsed but I'm impressed at their responses.

Lash 1 year, 8 months ago

Rehearsed or otherwise I have been impressed for years with the team's responses...

machinegun 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been looking forward to this game since last Sunday night. Beating North Carolina will propel us forward. Elijah needs to lead. Jeff needs to slam dunk. Simple as that. I was up all night Saturday and here I am again tonight. Big Bill is wrong. Beating Ol' Roy is a big deal.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think beating Roy is such a big deal any more, but beating Carolina definitely is.

John Lee 1 year, 8 months ago

agreed. roy is on the outs as far as talent, if you at all compare him to bill self. bill self isn't worried about roy. and he shouldn't be.

Dan Harris 1 year, 8 months ago

on the outs?? He starts 5 all americans???

ajhk 1 year, 8 months ago

It doesn't matter if you are tight or loose if you come to play angry. Bring the anger boys!

Roy has his guys all juiced up over the seeding. He's told them they are disrespected and they'll have to beat Kansas to get that back.

The hatred of Roy has dissipated but our motivation to beat a rival blue should not.

Joe Ross 1 year, 8 months ago

"The path of the Jayhawks is beset on all sides by the iniquities of selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he (Coach Self) who in the name of charity and good will shepherds Kansas through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers' keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers...and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

--Ezequiel 25:17

"I always thought that was some cold-blooded $#!% to say before I popped a cap in your @$$."

Kent Wells 1 year, 8 months ago

The second beast (Roy Williams) was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast (Dean Smith), so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image (Tar Heel) to be killed. It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six

-Revelation 13:15-18

The Beast

The Beast by Kent Wells

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Bravo. Fine scripture. Both of ya's.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

Should be a good game. Defense and rebounding are the key. Survive and advance!

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Time for Wily Bill to reel out some new stuff. Or to revive some dependabole old stuff. Athletically speaking, we won't defeat these Tarheels playing streetball.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Copy and paste.

Attack where they are weak: inside.

Defend where they are strong: trey stripe and secondary break.

Time for the zone press to resurface on made baskets, plus nonstop chucking of their secondary breakers before they reach mid court.

UNC can't win without the secondary break baskets.

AsadZ 1 year, 8 months ago

On a different note word on the street is that Ben Howland is fired by UCLA. This could have an impact on the some of their incoming recruits. They may transfer to a different school and KU could be in the mix.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Curious........Anyone here happen to have been at the game the last time KU and UNC played in Kansas City in 1957 for the national title??? Anyone remember the game??

I just hear stories. My Dad was in his junior year at KU and was at the game at Municipal. He said it was an absolutely heart-breaking loss. UNC triple teamed Wilt at times.

bville_hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Not sure what year but I think Ted Owens beat Dean Smith in KC toward the end of Owen's tenure.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

I looked but could not find anything.....but you may be right.

drfiesta1953 1 year, 8 months ago

Kennethst - I watched that game in black and white in 1959 at 14 years old. I have always been a Jayhawk fan and 1967 Graduate from KU in Mechanical Engineering. Chamberlain was and still is my favorite player, and greatest athlete KU has ever had.

It was heartbraking. NC outsmarted our Coach Dick Harp. They jumped with a 5' 8" guard, and had him and 2 other guys triple team Wilt. We were rated # 2 and they were rated # 1. Anytime you have 3 OT's it's a triple nail biter. Harp did not have a play designed for his other 4 players to out man NC's 2 players that weren't guarding Wilt. Finally they did wear him down , and the last ball thrown to him posting up was intercepted by Kearns, the 5 ' 8 " guard was intercepted, and he threw the ball 40 feet up in the air. When it came down our chance to get it or foul was over.

It was to my knowledge the first time a College Basketball game was ever telvised in Topeka. About 15 of us watched it at a party at a neighbors house. It still hurts. The next time I watched us play for the National Championship was 1988, when I was 43 years old. The 1952 game against St. Johns. was also played in KC, and my Dad and I listened to it on radio. Clyde Lovelett blew them away, and we won 80 to 63. His hook shot from 12 feet away was unstoppable.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Great story! I also heard that McGuire wanted to get under Dick Harp's skin......as he was a known hothead. So he had his players and staff take over a bench that had been set aside for KU and moved the KU stuff that had been there. It worked and Harp blew his top. Don't know if it impacted the game.....but a good story!

bville_hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Took some looking but found a write up on a UNC article:

Game synopsis: "January 3, 1981. Kansas claimed their first victory against the Tar Heels in the series as the Jayhawks snuck by No. 6 UNC 56-55 in Kansas City, Mo. North Carolina caught Kansas in the middle of a nine-game winning streak. That Jayhawk team was led by Darnell Valentine and Al Wood led a UNC team full of young stars including freshmen Sam Perkins and Matt Doherty and sophomore James Worthy."

Link: http://www.dailytarheel.com/blog/press_box/2013/03/unc-kansas-through-the-years

Steve Brown 1 year, 8 months ago

Street ball will send us packing, run our stuff , get the rock in the paint, Whitney go beast mode, California style. drive and kick out, jeff gets 18 in 1 st half, then BMac gets 24 in 2nd half. Do not, all into hurry up trap.

Take the midnight train to Georgia with a stop in Arlington next Friday/Sunday.

For those of you out of town, you won't believe the snow we are getting in KC today, 3rd major snow event this season....

Steve Brown 1 year, 8 months ago

We have had success and heartbreak in KC at old municiple hall, Kemper Arena and in Sprint Center, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Give Heels some agony.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Do not trust this man.

Do not believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Until he retires, he will say anything.

He will do anything.

To serve UNC, not KU.

He will recruit east and west of the Mississippi for UNC.

He would only recruit west of the Mississippi for KU.

He will not give KU the same breaks he gave UNC.

He is not a Jayhawk.

He is Benedict Williams.

Until he retires.

He is a Tar Hole.

Nothing more.

Until he retires.

Then give him luv.

He worked his butt off for KU west of the Mississippi and then he negotiated a move to UNC during a Final Four. Do not buy a used car from this man. Until he retires. by jaybate

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Agreed. And sorry.....but I don't think much of Dean Smith either.

Lash 1 year, 8 months ago

Dean Smith played at KU for Phog Allen including NC game. After graduation he was an assistant at KU.

He was offered/considered at least three times for head coach at KU and politely declined. Asked for suggestions for a replacement he first offered Larry Brown. I always thought he conjured this idea up to rid him of Brown not necessarily for the betterment of KU.

Later he offered up Williams exclusively wanting to prime him to be his replacement UNC. Once again, his suggestions were slanted to his benefit more than KU.

Smith did a great job at UNC, never returned to KU for any events that I am aware of and didn't except the HC job because he would always be in the shadows of Phog. Coach Allen was great on the court but should probably be remembered more for his ideas of basketball championship tournaments and the NCAA.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Lash,

Why did Dean and Roy reputedly agree for Roy to limit his recruiting essentially to west of the Mississippi?

Why did Roy reputedly admit to this?

Why did KU leadership ever consent to this knowingly?

Brown won 1 ring at KU in five years of recruiting the entire country.

Self won 1 ring at KU in six years of recruiting the entire country.

Roy won 2 rings at Chapel Hole recruiting the entire country in fewer than 6 years.

But Roy won exactly 0 rings in 15 years of recruiting half the country.

Why did this happen?

Why did Dean apparently hamstring KU this way with recruiting red lining?

Did Dean want to help KU, but not too much?

Can a man honorably serve two masters in competition with each other by favoring one he does not work for over the other that he works for on recruiting?

If a man will do that, what else will he do?

Roy worked his butt off west of the Mississippi?

Where was his butt east of the Mississippi for 15 years when we needed it?

One recruit like Kenny Gregory from Ohio doesn't make up for 15 years of loyalty to UNC while taking a KU pay check, does it?

Beat Roy into the cracks of the floor and then shellac it.

Then send UNC a coach and tell that coach to recruit west of the Mississippi for 15 years and see how much the UNC fans like that.

Kent Wells 1 year, 8 months ago

The key to the problem I have with Dudley Do-no-wrong, is the handling of the UNC Part II as it went down during the Final Four. His rant against Bonnie seemed like normal Roy at the time, but after time is seemed as though 'ol Roy doest protest too much. I know he couldn't shoot free throws, but maybe if 100% of the effort was into preparing for and coaching the game...

Lash 1 year, 8 months ago

Roy only cared about men's basketball at KU.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

No, east of the Mississippi he appeared to care more about UNC basketball recruiting than KU recruiting, while taking a KU paycheck.

If he were limiting his recruiting to west of the Mississippi at UNC now, I would love him now.

But he's not.

So what I now see is zero rings in 15 years, because he reputedly wouldn't recruit the whole country.

I want nothing from Roy other than recruits.

I don't dislike him even a little.

I don't trust him.

kckuguy 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree and I am one of a very few that was glad when Roy left. I thought we would be better off without him and sure enough we are better off now. Good post jaybate

machinegun 1 year, 8 months ago

You bet! Ol' Roy turned his back on us even after all he put us through when Ol' Dean retired. Jumped on that plane like he had just robbed a bank and wanted to escape to Hole in the Wall, North Carolinia. Left Big Dub with one good arm and a bad headache. Big Bill cured Big Dub of all his pain and the rest is KU history. Big Dub is still leading by example.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 7 months ago

You're frozen in time. Let it go already. Those that thought Roy would never leave when his alma mater came calling were being naive. I never begrudged the man for returning to his alma mater.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

With wonderful,sincere friends of Kansas like Roy Williams and Dean Smith......who needs enemies?

Kye Clark 1 year, 8 months ago

HEM brought it up yesterday, and in fact has throughout the season, but these type of games would be tailor-made to play AW3 at the 4. Not sure he is ready for this stage (and I'm almost 100% certain we won't see on the court today) since he didn't get PT during the season, but we are seeing more and more of this type of line-up in college basketball, and it's frustrating to know that KU has the personnel to match-up with these opponents but failed to hone that weapon during the season. I read that Jesse doesn't think UNC's 4 guard line-up will give us as much problems as ISU this year, or Misery last year due to KY being a more capable perimeter defender than TRob was, but he also says "barring a Wichita St.-like effort"...problem is I don't want to go into games just hoping we don't run into a hot shooting team. I want KU to be fully equipped to counter a hot shooting team.

Kye Clark 1 year, 8 months ago

ralster - I'm not saying AW3 should have gotten minutes in the rotation ahead of guys who are clearly better than him and give Self more on the court that he wants. Certainly I'm not advocating that he start. But it wouldn't have been difficult to mix him in for a 4 minute stretch once every game. Or every other game. Instead he only saw garbage time in the last minute or two of blowouts (which weren't in abundance this year). Would anybody argue that if he had been given the opportunity to develop more it would be a useful weapon for Self to have off the bench? To your last question, we don't know if AW3 is any better with ballhandling than BMac, or KYo, or Ellis? Nope. We sure don't know. Would have been nice to find out during the non-con & conference portions of the season.

Sure maybe BMac can't get open so conventional wisdom says neither could AW3, but if you have AW3 in at the 4, it's not a traditional perimeter player defending him either, so maybe he could. Your situational example assumes the same player is guarding AW3, or that if one player can't get open, that automatically means other players on the court can't either. I disagree with that assumption.

My philosophy is that the regular season should be viewed as a campaign leading to the tournament. Every game should be viewed as preparation for the madness. Player development and seeding positioning. Safeguarding against foul trouble and injuries. You still have your core rotation getting most of the minutes, but the best example is Cole Aldrich. His freshman year he wasn't better than Shady, Darnell, or Sasha. But Self gave him minutes in the flow of games throughout the season, and come the UNC Final 4 game he was ready for the moment.

I've said this before, but I think the biggest detriment to developing players this season and going forward is the success Self had last season. Self basically had no bench - KY, and Connor & Wesley out of necessity - and he played his starters as much as he could (justifiably so last season). He saw that formula succeed as we went all the way to the championship game. This year Self had options. Freshman options, but players with obvious skills worth developing. Perry got minutes, probably more out of necessity than Self wanting to play him. But AW3 got buried, a guy who could play the 2, 3, & 4. There were surely minutes to be had here & there for a guy that versatile.

I'm not proclaiming that AW3 is/could have been a potential savior for this season, or that if we lose at whatever point in the tournament it's because he wasn't developed. We'll never know how the season would have played out under different circumstances. But, he could have been a useful weapon today.

Matt1958 1 year, 8 months ago

After watching Chris Jones play in the JUCO tournament all week, I'm not disappointed that he's headed to Louisville.

Kye Clark 1 year, 8 months ago

Speaking of coaches, just saw that UCLA is expected to fire Howland, and will focus on bringing in Shaka Smart. Personally, I have enjoyed the last 5 seasons watching UCLA flounder under Howland.

I believe it was KonkeyDong who mentioned this possibility yesterday, and brought up the idea of possibly picking up some potential transfers from UCLA (specifically the Wear twins). Haven't put much thought into it, but having missed on Randle anything is possible.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

And everyone thought last year's #1 haul was his saving grace. Guess it would have been had they won for him. LOL

tis4tim 1 year, 8 months ago

Shaka will put some voodoo curse on the team, convincing them to stay should he take over for Howland.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

Reports are that Tony Parker is considering transferring. We all know damn well he wants no part of Shaka's "40 Minutes of Hell"! LOL

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

...and, in hind sight, thank God Parker didn't come to KU.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Much like Nolan Richardson (at least he did win one title) and Mike Anderson, Shaka Smart is a one trick pony. After his national title, Arkansas became pretty irrelevant and Richardson and embarrassment to Arkansas. Same thing with Anderson at UAB and his teams bragging about beating KU after beating UK, only to be easily beat by a KU team with decent guards; he was never relevant again at UAB or for that matter at MU, and he has not done much since going back to Arkansas. Smart's style of play will win games but once teams figure it out, he does not have much else.
This year his team beat up a severely depleted and marginal Akron team and got handed his behind by Michigan. Yes, he beat and overconfident KU team in the NCAA, but in 10 game series, KU would have won at least 8. Just sayin'...

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope the snow does not keep anyone from going to the game.......just leave early and be careful.......KU needs everyone there......and LOUD!!!!!!

Off subject obviously......but it cracks me up how mesmerized kids are by snow. The second it started yesterday.....my little 3 year old got up from her play-table to stare at it. And then of course she made me take her out to play. Not that I minded.......I make sure to capture moments like that.....it all goes too fast.

And yes.....her stuffed Baby Jayhawk came out......as did the regular Jayhawk.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Snow? Really?? Somebody needs to run over that groundhog.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

Yep...makes the faux wanted posters for him even more funny.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

If you're playing "not to mess up", aren't you playing "nervous"???

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

BMac's comment above just kind of threw me because it doesn't line up with what he said Friday night.

kckuguy 1 year, 8 months ago

We need a good start today. Play solid defense, drive the basket and take care off the damn ball, Carolina is not good enough to force turnovers, the ball is in our court so don't give it up. Be proud of the jersey and smack anyone that gets in our way. Be selfish with the ball like a 10 year old that doesn't want to share his brand new ball with the other kids on the block. Be the big bully today and it is ok to say "that's mine" and take it away. If they don't like it they can always go home, just like Roy did.

tis4tim 1 year, 8 months ago

In close games or games we've lost:

EJ couldn't hit a shot Releford wouldn't take a shot BMac couldn't create a shot Withey, being double-teamed, couldn't get off a shot Tharpe took too many ill-advised shots And our bench never got a shot.

All this needs to change moving forward if we're going to win it all.

I'm nervous about today's game, but I think the boys prevail. I think it will be close until the 5-minute mark in the second half when we start to assert our dominance.

KU: 78 UNC: 67 ... though I'd love for this to be a laugher like in 2008.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Other way .. UNC 74 KU 69. Posted my reasons on another thread. Hope I'm wrong. Bad, bad match-up among other things. Hope we can plug through.

tis4tim 1 year, 8 months ago

Your logic is generally sound, HEM. I'm just an unabashed homer and can't get myself to predict a loss for our team. It's also why I never win a bracket pool.

gongs4ku 1 year, 8 months ago

This game worries me more than Michigan would. I feel like we can disrupt what Michigan wants to do--they have lost to tough, defensive teams pretty consistently. On the other hand, UNC is like Iowa State with better athletes. They've been erratic, but when they're on it can get ugly if the other team isn't an offensive juggernaut too (we clearly aren't this year). If they get hot from three, we could lose this one handily....

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't forget.........KU will have 18,000 rabid,crazy fans......it will help.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh....They will be there. Bank on it.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

...of course, UNC fans won't know how to drive in it.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 8 months ago

This is a big game... Finally beating KU in the tourney could potentially redeem the Tarheels lackluster season to the fans.

seanswind 1 year, 8 months ago

I like how coach Self has the players repeating his locker-room mantra:

This game is why you came to KU.

That was a hard sell against W KY.

It helps the majority of our starters played them last year and have already gone through the UNC-Williams prep session.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

Booooooooooooooooo...Sir Charles is wearing Carolina blue shirt AND tie! That's trrrrrrr-ible.

Wineau_Hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Chucky says he likes KU in this one. Maybe he is subconsciously pulling for UNC.

bville_hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I doubt Chuck knows what he's wearing on air until he gets to the dressing room at the studio and it's laid out for him.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

The round-mound-of-rebound favors those colors. He has picked KU to win this game.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Enought talking! KU has to tighten the screws, lock down the defense, quit turning it over every 30 seconds and make the shots. If you do this you will win. If you can't, this is it.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Assuming we don't have our "A" game, drilling shots, turning UNC over, etc., how do we beat UNC?

1] McLemore has to be McLemore .. he has to be aggressive on offense. But we have to find ways to get him shots. And get him involved early. When he's involved early, he seems to stay involved.

2] To expand on point one, don't be satisfied throwing it in to Withey. Diversity will make Withey more effective.

3] EJ has to find ways to get to the rim in transition. Conventional thinking says we slow it down. I heard that from a guy on CBS. Wrong. Wrong. Attack in transition at every opportunity (unless we are up double-digits under 5).

4] Play Ellis over Withey when needed. Don't hesitate. If McAdoo is stretching the floor, adjust. Ellis is scoring now and is a terrific option. But also on offense. We'll know the minute Withey catches the ball (or on the first dribble) what UNC's strategy is. If they double, we will need to adjust. Also, Ellis for KY. KY's energy may be good in a game like this, but liberal use of Ellis may be the key today.

5] Make sure Releford guards Hairston .. everywhere. Obviously.

6] Releford needs to drive the ball regularly, attempt to get to the rack, or dish. Self was yelling at him during the WKU game to drive the ball. Listen to coach.

7] Don't hesitate to play small -- like real small for stretches. Ellis in the post, with EJ, Tharpe, McLemore and Releford. Not all the time. Stretches.

Could this be the tourney game many here have anticipated .. where Perry Ellis is the key?

Kye Clark 1 year, 8 months ago

From what I've read and from the couple of times I've watched UNC this year, McAdoo stretching Withey out isn't likely to happen. Not saying that I'm opposed to seeing Ellis on the court more often, I think that could be a good thing, but it shouldn't happen because of anything McAdoo is forcing us to do.

Agree on most of your other points, especially regarding Travis. I've picked him as my Hawk to rock because in a fast paced game I think he should thrive.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Unlike other centers KU has faced (that could hit the 3), McAdoo is not one of those. He has attempted 2 during the season and missed both. He will try to draw Withey out but not to the extent other bigs did.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

On the McAdoo points by ict and JayhawkFantoo, that's a good one. He's out to 15-18 feet. So not a 3 point line guy. But a guy you have to guard and respect away from the basket. He can move and is mobile.

The "PerryEllisBlossomingPortfolio" .. let's hope there's not a pullback in the market today. Trajectory upward.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Attack where they are weak: inside.

Defend where they are strong: trey stripe and secondary break.

UNC can't win without the secondary break baskets.

kennethst 1 year, 8 months ago

Random observations and musings.......I get annoyed by teams whose mascots have nothing to do with their nicknames.....ie....UNC....Iowa St.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

Would have been nice to have snarky Thaddy-boy ousted.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, ISU got "reffed" against the Crackeyes.

Nonstop moving screens by both teams.

Looked like Iowa state had it, but then craft and Thomas started XTReme fouling and the refs gave it to the Crackeyes.

Lesson for KU.

Shove and shove hard between 10 and 3 to go.

Moving screens every where nonstop.

Don't wait till the end to cheat against a major market team.

Intimidate first hardest.

This is foot-basketball from here on.

Dan Harris 1 year, 8 months ago

Three keys to the game

1. Make more then one basket outside the paint.
  2. Limit N Carolina to under 33% 3 point shooting.
  3. Limit out turnovers to under 15.

obviously #1 will happen, I still can't believe we won the game with that stat!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

The game has started and the Hawks are cold, missing bunnies and layups. and standing perfectly still after taking a shot. 12-2 after 8mins.Come on Hawks wake up whoops just got beat on a alley-op. Jeff took a shot earlier, stood flat footed and watched NC rebound and start a fast break. Guys, now, please start. 11:20 14-6

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

00:00 Jayhawks 70 Tarheels 58, they woke up. The Hawks Heart won the game. That is one of the most magnificent comebacks I have seen in my life. Hawks, don't settle for anything but everything! EVERTHING! You can beat any team, you cannot be beaten by anyone but yourselves. Take care of each other and you will win it all. Jeff, Travis, Nadir WOW! Ben its coming, on the biggest stage at the right time. Jayhawks you may want to cut down on the turnovers. RCJH KAAAAAAAUOOOOOO!

Jayhawk13KU 1 year, 8 months ago

Ever notice Tharpe hits more three's when we are up by 10 or more!?!?

cstevenday 1 year, 8 months ago