Wednesday, March 20, 2013

KU’s allotment of tourney tickets goes quickly

The question probably comes up for many Kansas University basketball fans when watching the NCAA Tournament.

Who are those KU fans behind the bench? And how do they get those seats?

According to Jim Marchiony, KU’s assistant athletic director for public affairs, KU receives a set amount of tickets for each site in the NCAA Tournament.

For the opening weekend at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., each team receives 350 tickets with the option of ordering 200 more tickets. Marchiony says KU picks up that option immediately.

KU can’t sell all 550 of those tickets, though, as those seats include a block that is reserved for players’ and coaches’ friends and family. Typically, Marchiony said, that number is over 100.

Those 550 tickets also include a 20-percent block that is reserved for students. That decreases the total by an additional 110.

The remaining tickets are sold based on the level of donorship. The KU donors in the highest club level get the first crack at the tickets before KU goes on down the line.

Using that system, KU has sold out of its allotment in Kansas City for this weekend’s games.

KU also prepares itself in advance. Earlier in the season, the athletic department asks donors if they are interested in tickets at each of the possible NCAA sites.

“Obviously Kansas City is very, very high demand,” Marchiony said. “We get that information ahead of time so we know what we’re dealing with.”

The tickets KU receives are only for the sessions that KU plays. That means those tickets, which are sold at face value, will not allow those KU fans to get into the afternoon session Friday when fourth-seeded Kansas State and fifth-seeded Wisconsin play their opening games.

Marchiony said KU usually receives a few calls from fans this time of year wondering if tickets are still available through the school.

“Our donors are pretty experienced at this whole process. They know the drill,” Marchiony said. “(Fans wanting tickets) is a great problem. It obviously speaks to the success that the program has had for so long that the tickets are in such demand.”

KU’s allotment of tickets will increase to 1,250 if the Jayhawks make it to next week’s regional in Arlington, Texas. Marchiony said those tickets through the school also are sold out and have already been assigned should the Jayhawks advance.

The other tickets that are not allotted to schools are sold by each arena. As of Tuesday, Sprint Center had sold out all of its tickets for KU’s first two games this weekend.

Comments

hawkfan4life 6 years, 5 months ago

Tried to scalp tix last weekend for the Big 12 Tourney once I realized they were sold out at the sprint center ticket office. I was AMAZED and befuddled that the clowns out there downtown wanted $250 and up for the K-State game, and $165 and up for ISU. The tix were $65 dollars face value. You’ve got to be kidding me!!!

Called the ticket office Monday morning and found out they were sold out this weekend. Stub-hub has tix starting at $300 on up past a grand. I learned my lesson last weekend and will be cheering my hardest from right here on my couch with an ice cold beverage in hand.

Scalpers are total jerks, I expect to pay over face value, but come on! Plus it is gonna be snowing…get outta here. I love the hawks as much as the next guy, but work too hard to shell out that kind of dough for a couple of hours. Just can't see it.

Gary McCullough 6 years, 5 months ago

It is fun to be at the game, but not worth the money when I'm with my friends, my beer, and my 70" HD television. Every game I've been at since graduating from KU has me in the nose bleed section.

YuCoJayHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Is anyone else just having a ridiculous time trying to enter their picks in KUsports.com bracket? First it said if I played last year to enter my login above?? huh ? where? So I signed up again, filled out the entire bracket, get to the title game, and it locks up? Start all over, same thing....get to the title game, it locks up. Doesn't save any of my picks, this is getting old!!

eastcoasthawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Had similar issues. Logged into KU Sports and when I went to the bracket page it didn't recognize me. Will give it one more shot. I will not create another login.

Phaedrus Cj 6 years, 5 months ago

OK there are 8 schools multiplied by a max of 550 = 4,400 max. And how likely is it that Boise St and LaSalle will be able to sell their allotment in one day after tonight's game or did both of the play in schools get 550. In a 19,000 seat arena that leaves 14,600 or so . We know that the Sprint Center had some kind of lottery for an intial group of NCAA buyers right? How many tickets were sold through that process. How many tickets does the Missouri Valley Conference get as the sponsor? Last year some of Creighton faithful made good money re-selling their tickets since their school sponsored the two rounds in Omaha.

This is interesting stuff, at least to me, but it just scratches the surface. Sportwriters are busy doing their jobs but the whole scalping tickets business model would be a good topic for some in depth reporting.Not just the scalpers out in front of Sprint but alos the dealers that post on sites like Craigslist. I don't begrudge these people for making a market for tickets I'm just curious how it works. An upper level ticket with a face value of $66 this weekend gets the Sprint Center and NCAA an inital $66 but then is sold for at least $100 and then possible resold for even more depending on the outcomes of games.

How many tickets were allocated to each school for the Big 12 tourney?

Gratuitous remarks follow:

Does the publisher of the LJW publish public tweets about KU basketball like Gregg Ireland Publisher of the TCJ?

How many tickets are being stored in the garages of athletic dept employees?

Is KU still using a whiteboard as its internal control for distribution of tickets?

Michael Pannacciulli 6 years, 5 months ago

Randle chooses kensucky. Shoulda saw that coming but got a bit more optimistic when all those dudes announced they were coming back. Arrgh!

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 5 months ago

Gotta' think that Wiggins at least won't go there. Having said that I'm predicting he goes to UNC.

Steve Brown 6 years, 5 months ago

Tix at site get more reasonable right about tip off.....so I have found, Plus the sunday games when the losing teams and fans have gone home end up having plenty of sidewalk seats from scalper if you can wait until tip off...