Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Roy riled up about UNC’s seed, not possible KU match-up

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, left, argues a call during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Miami in the championship of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Sunday, March 17, 2013.

Roy Williams nearly spit out his Coca-Cola when CBS announcer Greg Gumbel reported Sunday that his North Carolina Tar Heels had been handed a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament and would be headed to Kansas City, Mo., for second- and possible third-round games.

Williams, needless to say, figured UNC (24-10) deserved a better scenario than that.

“I don’t mind telling you I was stunned,” said Williams, the former Kansas University coach, who is staring at a possible third-round match-up with KU on Sunday in Sprint Center if the Heels beat Villanova and the No. 1-seeded Jayhawks stop Western Kentucky on Friday night.

“When I saw North Carolina and the No. 8, I was stunned. It took me a couple seconds ... ‘Hey, that’s us. It’s not somebody else, that’s us.’ I was disappointed for our league (ACC) — two 2s (Duke, Miami) and two 8s (UNC and N.C. State). I don’t think that was good for our league. I don’t think it was necessarily fair for our league, but you’ve heard me say this 100 times. It is what it is, so we’ve got to go play,” Williams added.

As far as possibly playing KU ... “It’s the same thing. You say ‘Wow,’” Williams said in a news conference Tuesday in Chapel Hill, N.C. “But I’m thinking about Villanova. I really am. It was a surprise being No. 8. It was a little surprise going to play (KU) in Kansas City if we win one game, but if you start thinking about playing Kansas in Kansas City you forget about the biggest duty and that’s to win a game to even get there.”

Williams was asked if he “buys” the NCAA Tournament committee’s assertion it does not set match-ups or potential match-ups like KU-UNC for TV.

“I am not much of a buyer right now, guys,” Williams told the media. “They can say anything they want to say and they’ve got numbers to substantiate it. You can sit right across the table from them and substantiate with some other numbers. I will say this ... they didn’t put North Carolina in Kansas City to fill the arena. The arena is going to be filled anyway if Kansas plays Slippery Rock. I don’t know what goes through their mind. It was a confusing (selection) show and I’m still confused and I’m a fairly intelligent person.”

Expressing disappointment ACC champ Miami didn’t earn a No. 1 seed, Williams said: “Guys, everything you say right now gets blown out of proportion. Everybody says you’re whining and all that stuff. You’ve still got to frickin’ play. Did I like it? No. Did I think it was fair? No. I happen to think they (Hurricanes) are a ensational basketball team. Those guys that are in the room ... they get to make those decisions.”

Regarding his own team’s No. 8 seed, Williams stated that his team’s RPI was in the top 20.

“I think the RPI is beneficial if that committee member wants it to be beneficial. I mean, our RPI is 17 or 18 something like that,” Williams said. “They’ve got a thousand things they can use. They can use what they want to use. I think at one point the RPI was probably — probably — more important than it is now. But again guys, our RPI was 17, 18 or 19. I’m good in math. Divide that by four and you don’t get to eight.”

Self on possible match-up: KU coach Bill Self again was asked about possibly going against Williams and UNC Tuesday, this time on KC radio station 810-WHB.

“Personally I don’t think it would be that tough (for Williams to coach in KC) because it’s been 10 years,” Self said. “Maybe the first time we met it would have been a different deal.”

KU defeated the Tar Heels in the 2008 Final Four and 2012 regional finals.

“There have been too many that were important games since then. If we are both fortunate enough to win it’d be another important game,” Self said. “Looking back, if I were going to go to Chicago and we were playing Illinois (where he coached three years), yes there may be some emotion, but not anything close to what it would have been seven, eight years ago from that respect. I know I wouldn’t use that as motivation for my team because none of these players ... they were in fifth, sixth grade back then, maybe seventh grade when that stuff was happening. I don’t think it’s as big a deal as maybe the media will play it out to be (if both win).”

Upcoming foe: Self, who has watched a lot of tape on Western Kentucky (20-15) this week, said he has great respect for the Hilltoppers, Friday’s 8:50 p.m., second-round foe in Sprint Center.

“We are playing a team ... Western Kentucky may be a 16 seed ... weren’t they in the Sweet 16 just five years ago? And that’s a program that’s won games in the NCAA Tournament the last three appearances. They are not a typical 16 seed, and we know that,” Self said.

Decision day for Randle: Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior power forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, will announce his college decision today during a noon NCAA Tournament program on ESPNU. ESPN’s website said the actual announcement will be at 12:15 p.m.

The announcement will take place during an assembly in the high school gym. Randle has a final list of KU, Kentucky, Florida and Texas.

An ESPN panel of recruiting experts made their predictions Tuesday on ESPN’s website. Four chose KU, one Kentucky and one Florida.

Randle, who missed most of the season with a foot injury, averaged 28.8 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks in five state playoff games while leading Prestonwood Christian to the 5A state title. He averaged 32.5 points and 15.5 rebounds in the Final Four. Randle, a McDonald’s All-American who is ranked No. 2 nationally by Rivals.com, attended the KU-Texas game on Feb. 16 as part of his official recruiting visit.

KU also is in the running for the country’s No. 1 player, Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who has a list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Comments

Lacy Mohler 1 year, 1 month ago

As far as Roy is concerned the NCAA is flogging a dead horse. Either they think UNC vs KU is still a big story or they won't be happy until UNC comes out the victor and Dickie Vee can crown them the superior team.

I always felt Roy's problem was he couldn't honestly tell a recruit Kansas was the best place to play basketball. There was always that elephant in the room---"after UNC and Duke".

If I remember correctly in 2008 the Tar Heels didn't have to leave North Carolina during the tournament until they came to San Antonio--where they promptly were beaten. Roy doesn't like to wander too far from home even during the regular season. It seems like after the UNC loss to KU in 2008 we looked up Roy's season and other than an early trip to Las Vegas the farthest west his team had traveled was Ohio.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Play the way we are capable of and we'll be fine. As far Randle, I believe we'll be better off without him. He seems to be the kind of player that has a prima-donna attitude. He belongs at Kensucky.

kennethst 1 year, 1 month ago

Randle? Disappointing......but so what? Somehow.....I think Kansas will be just fine without him. Only more than a hundred years of history to back me up on that.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, I won't say I'm not a little surprised. I won't say I'm not NOT surprised. On the one hand, I thought a bad season, a guard heavy system, and an already crowded front court would be enough to sway Randle in our direction. On the other hand, Cal is the undisputed king of recruiting, so I can't be terribly shocked that he'd win out in seemingly dire circumstances. Kinda sucks, though. Self deserved to win this one.

I think this development basically means that we're done recruiting active bigs for next season unless something happens during the carousel. Looking at the top bigs currently committed, though, I doubt we pick up anything there. Instead, I think we'll be looking at transfers. If we get lucky, there'll be an Alex Oriakhi type that can step in and play right away, or someone like Luke Cothron will come out of the wood work, or perhaps a very late reclassify. Odds are, though, we'll be looking at someone who'll come online for the 2015 season, not 2014. I don't really hold out any hope that Wigs will head to KU. I think he's FSU or UNC bound. We'll see, though.

Regardless, we'll still be fine for next year. We'll be a young team, for sure, but Ellis and Embiid should be a great front court by this time next year, and Brannen Greene, although a 2, is big enough to play a stretch 4 in a pinch, as is AW3. I'll be interested to see what kind of look we can put together. A more guard oriented team could be an exciting change of pace.

ajhk 1 year, 1 month ago

Looks like after the poor season the money stepped in and said, "Cal what do we need to buy you to make sure next season isn't a repeat?"

A fancy new Randle it is!

F'm

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

"Dr Watson, collar the hounds & follow the breadcrumbs."

Sam Constance 1 year, 1 month ago

Breaking News: Randle has no spine. Commits to Kentucky.

RJ King 1 year, 1 month ago

Hat ceremonies are so ego driven.

Pbbut 1 year, 1 month ago

Is it me or are does anyone else think this seeding issue is overrated? In this day, to win it all you have to beat five very good teams, if you're seeded 5 or higher, you'll have to beat six very good teams. Match-ups, injuries, and a touch of luck have more impact than your seed on selection Sunday.
Just play the damn game!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

Tick, tock, tick, tock....espnU live. Too bad the dish signal is not HD.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 1 month ago

Julius Randle's suit matches the UK hat on the table.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Worth re-quoting from jaybate above: "A rotation of Perry, Jamari, Landen, and Joel is a rotation Self would have killed for at Illinois" (and current BigXII coaches would swap places with Self for right now). I would add only: Look beyond those 4 names: its what Self teaches and does on-court with his bigs that makes KU so special. Traylor has a higher ceiling than Young--notice every game he is trying more and more, and even hitting all his FTs now, clearly improving right under our nose (beaks). Ellis is on a faster trajectory than Marcus Morris was. Embiid enters as a #28 ranked, uber-athletic 7footer, already high-light producing (enough for a JordanClassic invite...). Lucas is on the McLemore plan: workout with Hooooody, learn the plays, but you cant teach 6'10, 245lbs. That size wont be going away in the face of opponents. And that size gets to wear a kansas jersey...Im not worried because even if we do not get Randle, we have 2 guys with experience (Ellis/Traylor), 1 guy in the total-immersion program in-system (Lucas), and 1 guy coming in with intangibles and tangibles right out of the box (Embiid)-->what a 4th big to have coming in for a few mpg. Who knows if anyone redshirts or not? Not my decision, no way to speculate on that one. Somehow it would feel "wrong" to redshirt a kid who already will be in a highschool allstar game?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

Are we posting the "Decision" here?

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Piling on Calipari and UK is fun, but he still won a ring with this system of stacking 5-stars.

I don't think Cal cares a whit about one bad season.

He's playing it smart, if you are going to use his approach.

You throw the players under the bus, when it doesn't work.

You take the credit when it does.

You have to take the credit when it works, because if you don't then the 5-stars will think they can go anywhere that compensates the same and do okay.

You have to throw them under the bus, or the alums will hang you.

Cal's living on a win as you go plan.

Each season is brinksmanship, when each season your guys are inexperienced and jumping end of season if anyone will have them.

I hate defending him at all, but where would Self and KU be if Withey or Ben or Trav got injured as Noels did.

Self and KU would be SOL ; that's where they would have been.

Self is a way better coach than Cal.

Self runs a system aimed at continuity.

Self is better at masking and patching.

But no coach can afford to have his cornerstone player go down for the meat of the season and win big.

Self was so lucky that BRush has to rehab during pre conference and got ready by conference.

Self was so lucky that Dir developed and Ben was a super man, and Withey was the Sulatn of Swat, or EJ's injury could easily have turned the team upside down.

Stil and all, its good to see wrong way guys really suck.

kennethst 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't care about Roy Williams anymore. He left Kansas.....I left him. Period. He doesn't matter to me.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

"But again guys, our RPI was 17, 18 or 19. I’m good in math. Divide that by four and you don’t get to eight.” --Ol'Roy

Roy doesn't care about KU getting it region stacked against it.

Roy just cares that he is being used to do the stacking.

Crocodile tears.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Roy is at that stage of his career where coaches get to (and do) say dumb things.

Phog said KU could win with Wilt and four cheerleaders.

Roy thinks he deserves better than an 8 seed with 10 losses and a 4 guard team.

GortHawker 1 year, 1 month ago

As mine and I'm sure every Jayhawk out there my beloved Roy williams would say " Aw shucks, darnet", we got screwed but he's just tryng to fire his team up. Go Hawks!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Regarding the several comments about Calipari: What he said in the press conf. wasnt new. He said the same thing weeks ago about "2 guys basically not-coachable". Look, its a fact his system is different than Self's, but honestly, his players still have to buy into it and execute it. I have seen Kentucky practices under Cal, and he is coaching every last detail about positioning and decision-making. And he rides his kids pretty hard, maybe not quite as hard as Self does, and neither one is like Frank Martin or Bobby Knight. Obviously, I like Self's system better (see avatar), as it is not dependent on a mega-recruiting haul every single season. Freshman-dominated starters also heightens the chance that you get a bad-chemistry kid some year with all the yearly influx--> which is exactly what happened to Cal this season, coupled with Noel's injury. If Cal sounds like he will clean house, it just might be needed, and we also know the KY fanbase is the least patient blueblood fanbase. Im not worried about KY, as they will be back contending with us in no time at all.

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas Basketball is not about one player coming or not. If Julius Randle comes to Kansas, then I think it's great. If he decides to go somewhere else, which is his choice, then I wish him the best. No one player will determine where we are ranked or what we are perceived as. For as long as Coach Bill Self has been at KU, he has found a way to put a capable, competitive team on court. Conference Champions 9 years in a row. I am not the least bit worried.

Next year, just based on what we currently have in cupboard, we should be okay. Point Guard Naadir Tharpe, has already shown he can hit a game winning bucket, and when he makes mistakes on the court, seems to find a way to make up for it. Perry Ellis is just now coming into his own, and I believe he will be a double-double machine next year. I am amazed at how much Jamari Traylor has improved over the season. He went 7-7 from the free throw line in the Big XII Tournament. Next year could be a breakthrough, it usually is for big men in the Bill Self system. Andrew White may get an opportunity to show what he can do? We also have Landen Lucas, who has had a year in the system. Combine that with the incoming recruits, and Coach Self's track record, I really like our chances next year. This year's team was not supposed to be so either, with the loss of Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor, yet here we are with another Number 1 seed! Go Bill, and Go Jayhawks!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Regarding Roy Williams: "Aw shucks, we are an 8 seed!", and: "I dont give a shiz about Kansas."

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

THIS JUST IN!!!!

Julius Randle to commit to Kansas, Kentucky, Texas or Florida today at 12:20 c.d.t....just in case you had not heard!! :)

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

Here's a link to my blog with some tips on how to fill out your bracket: http://citeachery.wordpress.com/

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

No one wants to be an 8 or 9 seed because you are guaranteed playing the #1 seed in the second round. I'd rather be an 11 seed and play the six seed and see if upsets happen in the next round. You could play a 3 seed; you could play a 14 seed.

Phoghorn 1 year, 1 month ago

Okay, got the kids of the lawn. Now for a serious comment. I can not express how much I appreciate having both Coach Williams and Coach Self as our coaches. Both of these guys have a tremendous amount of class, and have been great assets. In my opinion, both will always be Jayhawks. Furthermore, I cheer loudly for Coach Williams and the Tar Heels when they are not playing us.

Phoghorn 1 year, 1 month ago

I am so angry about Coach Williams leaving that I will not even watch the tournament. In fact, I have not even paid any attention to KU BB since he left. I am assuming that Coach Self, or whoever it was we hired from Illinois has totally destroyed our program. As soon as we hired that guy I knew we had NO chance to EVER win a conference championship, much less a National Championship. Heck, Coach Self could not even convince Brandon Rush to come to KU, and that is why he chose K-State. Didn't Mizzou, Nebraska, and aTm all sweep us this year?

Hey, I will be back later...gotta tell those darned teenagers to get off my lawn again...

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

Cal just shows his inability to transfer his system into the minds of kids who are all about themselves. Also he doesn't do well at recruiting for a system or the needed components. For all the complimnets he recieves, I think he's just way over rated. Now Roy, on the other hand, is a heckuva coach that hasn't lost his fire as some have suggested. But he is whining more since he's a mite longer in the tooth than when here. Hey, the ACC is no cakewalk even if they didn't get UVA & Maryland in the show. But he's not as proficient at adjusting to his talent during a season as Bill Self, nor does he like to play in KC either. Guess we all get cranky at some point-Villanova may knock him out right away. They have some great wins & a 1st rd out won't help his recruiting class either. Boy we hit the lottery when he went the way of the dodo. Speaking of which, something tells me whoever gets JR will have a wait with the NCAA process next summer. Hasn't worked out very favorable for HCBS as of late, so regardless any enthusiasm should be tempered somewhat. Even hats are expensive!

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I have not looked closely at Roy's lineup this season, but am aware that he usually hosts a handful of McDonald's All Americans, probably more so since winning his two NCs. While access to such top talent can be a real plus, it also creates stressful sometimes sleepless nights for coaching staffs. Bill Self and Co. seem to thrive on the combination of one or two h.s. All-American talents mixed in with the majority of less talented but experienced returning players in his lineups. When the hard heads become unbearable, it has been bye-bye, as in the case of J.R. and Micah. J.R. would probably have ridden the pine much more but for the insistence of the upperclassmen whom Bill inherited. Even though I and many posters have been critical of Bill Self's quick yank, his winning ways demonstrate the viability of his imprint: My Way or the Highway. I cannot begin to imagine the difficulty in trying to work annually with a team loaded with little but top 20 freshman or sophomore talent. No Witheys, Relefords, Reeds, Morningstars, Moodys, Youngs, Kauns, Jacksons....

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

The Randle decision today not only will largely determine our fate for 2013-14, but it will also determine the nature of the discussion on this website. The latter can't be overstated. Randle's commitment will make things much easier here.

To put things in perspective, Randle ends up coming to KU, we're in the position to compete for a 1-4 seed, being the Big 12 preseason favorite, and business as usual .. even replacing 5 starters.

Without Randle, we may look much like UNC .. a team that played better playing small, and a team that ended up as a 8 seed. We won't be the preseason Big 12 favorite. We may be ranked in the top 25, but maybe not. Self has proven that he can overcome. But 2013-14 might be his biggest challenge because of the post position.

Traylor is a low-skill project whose game is energy. Lucas could not convince Self that he deserved PT over Traylor to begin this season. And Embiid has been playing basketball for a very short period of time and although he looks incredibly high skilled, and promising, being a starter as a freshman is a tall order. Strikes me as the perfect 4th post player to start the season, progressing to first post off the bench.

Without Randle, I could easily see Self determining that a small lineup (focusing on the best players, not their positions) would present the best opportunity to win. Four starters from Tharpe/Adams/White/Greene/Selden/Frankamp, with Ellis starting as the lone post player. Clearly undersized. I think Self's desire to win will overcome his desire to stick with his tried and true system. Self could of course stick with his formula, but I have no confidence that any option after Ellis will be adequate in the post next season.

With Randle, though, it's business as usual.

Big day today.

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Regarding Kentucky, I'm conflicted about the matter of whom got thrown under the bus...the Wildcat payers or their coach. Other than Nerlens, who appeared to be assuming leadership to right their flagging ship prior to his seasonending injury, the highly rankied recruits stunk up the season. Of course, much of that mess lies on Cal's shoulders for having amassed such a crew, then not being able to guide them into teammanship. But there were obviously a collection of hard heads in that starting lineup. They certainly demonstrated from the getgo that they didn't come to play yesterday at Robert Morris. In the final analysis, Cal and staff couldn't get and hold their attention. But sometimes attitude is just too difficult to overcome. Frank Haith is dealing with much of the same problem with his point guard Flip Pressey. When coach and star players are not on the same page, the bus rolls over everyone concerned. If all or most of Kentucky's players return, but for Nerlens, Cal might be in for even more of a mess next season. I would not be at all surprised to see him bolt for the NBA if an intriguing offer should arise. The One-'n-Done Monster might have kicked him beneath those 30" wheels.

MarineHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

KenPom, which like some other objective rankings, is far superior to the RPI. UNC is ranked 28th on PenPom. That's the last 7th seed if it was picked that way. That's only a hair different than an 8-seed. Roy has nothing to complain about. Welcome back to KC Roy (if you can beat Villanova).

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

Hopefully Randal had a dream last night in which he was wearing a ku uniform...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] Do you all know what the NIT really is???......it's a tournament to see who finishes in 69th place...and Kentucky couldn't even do that!!

2] ASHLEY WEEPS!!

3] Take this as a good sign but Julius's last name virtually rhymes with mine!!

4] EVERYONE ON ROY'S BACK....GET OFF NOW!! You all saw his support for Kansas in 2008 and if you saw the 50/50 ESPN special on "The Rules", his ringing endorsement of Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas Nation was astoundingly candid and totally awesome. LET IT BE!!!

5] If the article mentioning that 4 of the 6 ESPN "experts" picked Julius to come to Kansas, then, let's hope that just once, they actually got somethng right!! :)

6] Andrea...warm up your computors..The Big Man is coming to town!!

7] The size of the slaughter is directly proportional to the praise given to the opponent. It sounds like HCBS is looking at WK as a team with four OADs and a 20 game winning streak..and we're playing in their gym!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 1 month ago

Recruits. Do you want to end your college career losing in the NIT on the home court of a low major?

William Blake 1 year, 1 month ago

Personally... Roy's constant whining compared to Bill Self's poised responses is a big reason I smile today about having Bill. Roy was and is a great coach and he served Kansas well... but I certainly wouldn't trade Bill to get him back. It all reflects on your university and I am not fond of whiners... especially in sports.

Roy shouldn't harp about being a low seed, he's luck to be in the tourney... SFA won 27 games this year and was stuck in the NIT and Roy thinks the UNC name should have seeded them higher.

Coach Cal looked desperate last night. The comments he made after their loss were childish and defensive. He simply can't win without a team full of NBA-ready players. I don't understand why recruits fall for his sales pitch... but then, I'm not in high school any longer.

I'm just proud to be a Jayhawk, and happy we have the quality of a Bill Self at the helm! Bill not only represents our university well, he represents our state well, too!

DanialBartlett 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey KU fans listen to this, if you haven't already heard it! We have the best fans in the world!! http://youtu.be/5SBoV9oyTzQ

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't understand the criticism of Roy Williams. He was just being honest. UNC did get screwed in seeding. Every criteria would indicate they should be higher seeded. Look at RPI and how they finished.

As someone who has been following KU since the late 60s, I know that the reason KU is considered a Top 5 program year in and year out starts with what Roy Williams did at KU. Larry Brown got us back into the discussion, but he won only one conference championship in five years and of course will always be remembered for his masterful coaching job in 1988.

We get upset today when we are ranked outside of the Top 10, but before Roy we celebrated when we were ranked. We would have a great team every 3-4 years, not every year. We owe a lot to Roy Wiliams. I was upset when he left but I'm not sure I would trade KU's last ten years with UNC's. Carolina does have two championships.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll be extremely disappointed if Julius goes somewhere other than KU, especially if he selects UK.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I will aggree with KULA's post. Of course it's a big deal. It's KU vs UNC a battle of all-time great programs.

But I for one am tired of all the hyping it as Roy Williams vs KU. Like Bill Self said, it's already been played out. Roy has played against KU twice already. It's been 10 years since he coached at KU. Let's talk about KU vs UNC and not Roy Williams vs KU.

That said, Roy Williams would likely feel a lot less anxious about playing against KU if he had won either of the previous match-ups.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

Two Topics I would be happy to never have to hear or read about again:

One: Roy coming back to Kansas or any other big news propogated because UNC plays Kansas while Roy is still coaching.

Two: Parity. Every coach in America is using the catch phrase "parity". Parity is propaganda, too. It was hatched by the media to draw more interest in the Tournament--once they found out America loves Cindarella teams, they decided to start producing more of them.

farnamjayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

It's been 10 years since Coach Williams left. I'm grateful for the time he spent at KU. I plan on applauding instead of booing when he's announced at the game Friday night. I can't bring myself to boo a fellow Jayhawk and he is still a part of the KU family and its history.

It helps me to say that since the last 10 years have been better than the 10 before it thanks to the best coach in America. Thanks Coach Self

Joe Ross 1 year, 1 month ago

That Robert Morris game is a stain on Kentucky's history forever. Somebody will make a movie about it in 20 years,...another David and Goliath tale of conquering a giant (although KY is far from that).

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

No way does Randle committ to UK after that dumpster fire last night. Cal flat can't coach and doesn't respect his players. You can throw them under the bus if there is still another game to be played but when it is the last one, you should take some of the heat. I mean, this was the freaking NIT, they lost to a team with two first names (Robert Morris).

Randle committs to KU today and everyone is happy.

yates33333 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll say this for Goober he took it better than I would. Obviously they were a 4 or 5 team and got screwed so they could probably be matched against KU. The committee wasn't interested in filling seats in KC, they knew these seats would be filled by KU fans if necessary. The committee was interested in TV coverage. The Nielsen rating ought to be very high for this game if it is played. Perhaps some of the clerks at the NCAA headquarters are angling for a raise and what better reason than increased revenue. Ah! amateur sports, you gotta love the professionalism displayed by all involved except unpaid players. Unpaid legally.

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

Let's worry about Western Kentucky first, then we'll see what happens with the Nova-UNC game.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Off topic of UNC. Just my personal feelings of our KU team right now. I think those fellas are peaking at the right time. I think they are scary good, talented, experienced when they are playing their best, which they are, and could be just as tough as last years team. They have gone 3 and 0 in OT games this year. They have proven they can win many different ways. If those guys can keep up the intensity for 6 more games, I will be in Lawrence for the celebration. If they get bounced by a lucky team in the Elite 8 or sweet 16 or final four or something. I will still consider this team among my favorites of the Self Era. Lots of great games and memories from Withey's triple double, to Ben skying like Jordan, to Naadir and Perry finding their games and KU's Harlem Shake video and Ben's McClemore dance. I even got a ball signed by all the players. Great stuff, good times. I'll always remember it, regardless what happens in the next couple weeks. I just hope we cut down the nets!!! RCJHGOKU!!

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

KU is 2 and 0 against Roy and UNC since CS took over and Roy left. If KU draws UNC in the second game, the odds are KU will beat them again. UNC likes to run and gun, they play small ball now but we can handle that and beat them at their own game in the process. Withey could have a Triple Dub in that game, if it happens.

KULA 1 year, 1 month ago

A Kansas/UNC matchup will always be a big deal. That's what you get when you're Kansas or North Carolina. The coaching situation with Roy just makes it a bigger deal.

arch007bak 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm glad Bill and Roy seem to believe there's no issue with a potential KU / UNC match...ESPN and SI sure seem think there is though.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 1 month ago

Roy is blathering on and on when his league lays eggs. Poor Duke! Poor Miami! Whatever ..........just shut up and play ball. Still whining.

Joe Ross 1 year, 1 month ago

Agree with you, jayhawk. Cant lose that many games, even though their losses were mostly to good teams (Butler, Indiana, NC State, Miami three times, Duke twice, NIT Virginia, and lowly Texas). While there is no love lost between Kansas and UNC, it's good to know that the drama that has been overplayed with Roy Williams has subsided. The pot-stirring antagonizers have largely been shut up with the exception of a handful of nut-jobs. And besides, we have a coach who improved on what Roy did while he was here and that has certainly helped to attenuate the hard feelings; that, and the reasons Roy left were, in my mind, entirely understandable. Ten years on it makes zero sense to be acrimonious about it, although it does make for some good television.

After what figures to be a Kansas win over WKU, Kansas will face a slate of teams that have the potential to knock off a number one. A run to the championship could, for example, look like this: WKU, North Carolina, Michigan (or VCU), Georgetown (or Florida), Indiana or Miami, and Louisville. That's just a killer schedule. Probably no worry about Kansas underestimating teams. I think it's actually good that Kansas has been in some dogfights this year, and maybe even good that we came out on the losing end a few times. Somehow, having been reminded that we are not invincible should spur these Jayhawks on and provide some much needed focus.

Regarding Randle, I guess we will soon know. None of us should be counting chickens although I've been reading a lot of experts say Kansas will be his choice (due to playing time? fan support? pipeline to NBA?). I personally like his chances of becoming a Jayhawk about noon tomorrow.

bradynsdad 1 year, 1 month ago

Call really threw his kids under the bus. Now with almost all players but Noel saying they are coming back I think that helps with Randle.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 1 year, 1 month ago

I think that an eight seed seems about right for them. They lost many games, got blown out by Texas, and played in an ACC conference with four tournament teams. They did start playing better with a small-lineup. However, they could not notch any big wins despite two opportunities against Duke and Miami.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 1 month ago

Scenario. Lets say Cal leaves for the Nets. After this year, he just loses heart and skips to the next step (remember this is a scenario). First question is does that make Cal the biggest basketball villain? Next question, what does it to for UK recruiting and the rest of the nation?

I can see all but Noel staying at UK. After having one of the worst seasons ever for UK (by expectation not record), these players might return to make sure there names aren't in the gutter of basketball history. Which gives Randle a choice. Be a great player on a stacked team, or be a star on a new, young team. If all by Noel stay for UK, they will be a final four team. If we can snag Randle, then I bet we at worst are an elite 8 team. I would be okay with Randle choosing UT. I would live with Randle choosing Florida. If Randle chooses UK and everyone but Noel returns, then the NCAA and the NBA are not doing what is best for the kids anymore.

I wont go into a big rant, but it irks my how players get banned for selling their stuff they won but the NCAA is okay with UK bringing in big time rappers to help recruit (obviously they are not officials for UK). Please NBA, extend your age requirements for one more year. We know 18 year old kids won't make mature decisions, so protect them from making those bad decisions.

I have no ill feelings toward Cal, rather toward the system. I wish the best for Randle no matter where he chooses. He is a kid, he deserves to have fun before the world follows every detail of his life. But I sure hope he picks KU!

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 1 month ago

I hate that the round of 32 is the THIRD round. I hate all play in games. I refuse to watch any of them.

chalkitup1811 1 year, 1 month ago

What are the chances we get wiggins too ?

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 1 month ago

Roy,

It's really simple.........If you don't want to get a low seed in the tournament, don't lose 10 games in one year heading into the tourney. DUH!