Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Roy riled up about UNC’s seed, not possible KU match-up

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, left, argues a call during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Miami in the championship of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Sunday, March 17, 2013.

Roy Williams nearly spit out his Coca-Cola when CBS announcer Greg Gumbel reported Sunday that his North Carolina Tar Heels had been handed a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament and would be headed to Kansas City, Mo., for second- and possible third-round games.

Williams, needless to say, figured UNC (24-10) deserved a better scenario than that.

“I don’t mind telling you I was stunned,” said Williams, the former Kansas University coach, who is staring at a possible third-round match-up with KU on Sunday in Sprint Center if the Heels beat Villanova and the No. 1-seeded Jayhawks stop Western Kentucky on Friday night.

“When I saw North Carolina and the No. 8, I was stunned. It took me a couple seconds ... ‘Hey, that’s us. It’s not somebody else, that’s us.’ I was disappointed for our league (ACC) — two 2s (Duke, Miami) and two 8s (UNC and N.C. State). I don’t think that was good for our league. I don’t think it was necessarily fair for our league, but you’ve heard me say this 100 times. It is what it is, so we’ve got to go play,” Williams added.

As far as possibly playing KU ... “It’s the same thing. You say ‘Wow,’” Williams said in a news conference Tuesday in Chapel Hill, N.C. “But I’m thinking about Villanova. I really am. It was a surprise being No. 8. It was a little surprise going to play (KU) in Kansas City if we win one game, but if you start thinking about playing Kansas in Kansas City you forget about the biggest duty and that’s to win a game to even get there.”

Williams was asked if he “buys” the NCAA Tournament committee’s assertion it does not set match-ups or potential match-ups like KU-UNC for TV.

“I am not much of a buyer right now, guys,” Williams told the media. “They can say anything they want to say and they’ve got numbers to substantiate it. You can sit right across the table from them and substantiate with some other numbers. I will say this ... they didn’t put North Carolina in Kansas City to fill the arena. The arena is going to be filled anyway if Kansas plays Slippery Rock. I don’t know what goes through their mind. It was a confusing (selection) show and I’m still confused and I’m a fairly intelligent person.”

Expressing disappointment ACC champ Miami didn’t earn a No. 1 seed, Williams said: “Guys, everything you say right now gets blown out of proportion. Everybody says you’re whining and all that stuff. You’ve still got to frickin’ play. Did I like it? No. Did I think it was fair? No. I happen to think they (Hurricanes) are a ensational basketball team. Those guys that are in the room ... they get to make those decisions.”

Regarding his own team’s No. 8 seed, Williams stated that his team’s RPI was in the top 20.

“I think the RPI is beneficial if that committee member wants it to be beneficial. I mean, our RPI is 17 or 18 something like that,” Williams said. “They’ve got a thousand things they can use. They can use what they want to use. I think at one point the RPI was probably — probably — more important than it is now. But again guys, our RPI was 17, 18 or 19. I’m good in math. Divide that by four and you don’t get to eight.”

Self on possible match-up: KU coach Bill Self again was asked about possibly going against Williams and UNC Tuesday, this time on KC radio station 810-WHB.

“Personally I don’t think it would be that tough (for Williams to coach in KC) because it’s been 10 years,” Self said. “Maybe the first time we met it would have been a different deal.”

KU defeated the Tar Heels in the 2008 Final Four and 2012 regional finals.

“There have been too many that were important games since then. If we are both fortunate enough to win it’d be another important game,” Self said. “Looking back, if I were going to go to Chicago and we were playing Illinois (where he coached three years), yes there may be some emotion, but not anything close to what it would have been seven, eight years ago from that respect. I know I wouldn’t use that as motivation for my team because none of these players ... they were in fifth, sixth grade back then, maybe seventh grade when that stuff was happening. I don’t think it’s as big a deal as maybe the media will play it out to be (if both win).”

Upcoming foe: Self, who has watched a lot of tape on Western Kentucky (20-15) this week, said he has great respect for the Hilltoppers, Friday’s 8:50 p.m., second-round foe in Sprint Center.

“We are playing a team ... Western Kentucky may be a 16 seed ... weren’t they in the Sweet 16 just five years ago? And that’s a program that’s won games in the NCAA Tournament the last three appearances. They are not a typical 16 seed, and we know that,” Self said.

Decision day for Randle: Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior power forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, will announce his college decision today during a noon NCAA Tournament program on ESPNU. ESPN’s website said the actual announcement will be at 12:15 p.m.

The announcement will take place during an assembly in the high school gym. Randle has a final list of KU, Kentucky, Florida and Texas.

An ESPN panel of recruiting experts made their predictions Tuesday on ESPN’s website. Four chose KU, one Kentucky and one Florida.

Randle, who missed most of the season with a foot injury, averaged 28.8 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks in five state playoff games while leading Prestonwood Christian to the 5A state title. He averaged 32.5 points and 15.5 rebounds in the Final Four. Randle, a McDonald’s All-American who is ranked No. 2 nationally by Rivals.com, attended the KU-Texas game on Feb. 16 as part of his official recruiting visit.

KU also is in the running for the country’s No. 1 player, Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who has a list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State.

Comments

jayhawkinnc 2 years, 4 months ago

Roy,

It's really simple.........If you don't want to get a low seed in the tournament, don't lose 10 games in one year heading into the tourney. DUH!

Glen Miller 2 years, 4 months ago

Wisconsin also played in a much tougher conference.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

I looked this up. Every team in the Big 10 beat a team that was ranked this year at some point in the season.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Roy hasn’t beaten a ranked team since December.

nostradavid 2 years, 4 months ago

Dad-gummit! The only thing I miss is Roy's euphemistic vocabulary.

RAT-FINK !

RAT-FINK ! by nostradavid

chalkitup1811 2 years, 4 months ago

What are the chances we get wiggins too ?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Let's just hope we get Randle. Decision is right around the corner, pretty exciting.

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

ESPN is showing Randle committed to KY.

Steve Zimmerman 2 years, 4 months ago

Get this: Randle ain't coming to KU. So stop dreaming about Wiggins, too.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

All of Calimari's "one and dones" are most likely coming back, + he has got a huge class of potential one and dones coming in. They are loaded beyond belief for next season. No way in my mind do I see Randle or Wiggins going to a program where they would have to potentially come off the bench, where they may very well start at KU or FLst or UNC. Personally If I were either of those guys, Id go to KU over the other two. Guaranteed year in year out winner.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know why UK's rookies would come back if they are all projected first rounders, but I hope that the experts are right on Randle!

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

And the way Calipari ripped them to pieces last night. Maybe he'll find a way to make room for Randle & Wiggins.

I'm in the I won't believe he signs w/ KU 'til I see it with my own eyes camp.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually, Kentucky's loss last night may have hurt our cause. That just means Slick Cal will be even more desperate to land Randle and Wiggins, and we all know what that likely means (wink, wink.)

Seriously, if we do land Randle, it probably improves our chances of getting Wiggins. We could have something very special going on in Lawrence.

Jarod DeLozier 2 years, 4 months ago

I'd love to get Randle and Wiggins. But if we don't our bigs are Ellis, Traylor and Lucas. I'm more concerned with our guard play next year than bigs whether we get either of these guys or not. My predictions is that we get Randle and Wiggins goes to FSU.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, but I don't know how much of that we'll see next year. What I suspect will happen is that Lucas will probably be ahead of him next season, and then Embiid will pass him the season after, but Lucas will still have minutes to play and prove to be a valuable piece in his time as a Jayhawk.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 4 months ago

I hate that the round of 32 is the THIRD round. I hate all play in games. I refuse to watch any of them.

VaJay 2 years, 4 months ago

Round of 32 is not the third round, except in the minds of the lame NCAA powers that be who think that they can stick a label on these play-in games & call them the the 1st round. Ridiculous. They are play in games to everyone else. They put lipstick on a pig - its still a pig...

actorman 2 years, 4 months ago

What's the matter with you, ralster? Don't you know that it's sheep they're interested in, not pigs?

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

What happens in the feedlot stays in the feedlot...

WETSUhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

You are correct, the term ROUND of ....... is stating that each team plays, therefore the first round of 68 started last night and finishes Friday night.

Justin Millsap 2 years, 4 months ago

Just think of it as the other 60 teams getting a "bye" into the second round...nope that didn't make it better. Still seems stupid.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

Scenario. Lets say Cal leaves for the Nets. After this year, he just loses heart and skips to the next step (remember this is a scenario). First question is does that make Cal the biggest basketball villain? Next question, what does it to for UK recruiting and the rest of the nation?

I can see all but Noel staying at UK. After having one of the worst seasons ever for UK (by expectation not record), these players might return to make sure there names aren't in the gutter of basketball history. Which gives Randle a choice. Be a great player on a stacked team, or be a star on a new, young team. If all by Noel stay for UK, they will be a final four team. If we can snag Randle, then I bet we at worst are an elite 8 team. I would be okay with Randle choosing UT. I would live with Randle choosing Florida. If Randle chooses UK and everyone but Noel returns, then the NCAA and the NBA are not doing what is best for the kids anymore.

I wont go into a big rant, but it irks my how players get banned for selling their stuff they won but the NCAA is okay with UK bringing in big time rappers to help recruit (obviously they are not officials for UK). Please NBA, extend your age requirements for one more year. We know 18 year old kids won't make mature decisions, so protect them from making those bad decisions.

I have no ill feelings toward Cal, rather toward the system. I wish the best for Randle no matter where he chooses. He is a kid, he deserves to have fun before the world follows every detail of his life. But I sure hope he picks KU!

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Let's say that were true. I wonder what sort of ruthless guy they would try to get to take over for him. I could see it be Sean Miller or Billy Donovan.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 4 months ago

IIRC Donovan already turned them down after they fired Gillispie. And why should he leave the program he built and is still having success with at Florida to deal with the crap that goes with coaching them, especially if they miss expectations 2 years in a row? Cal is a great recruiter, but not a great coach, as proven this year. And frankly, except for Noel, it looks as if he really missed the mark recruiting last time around. We all know it's not just having the talent, it's also being willing to play together that makes champions. Cal missed the mark in judging his latest group of semi-pros willingness to subsume themselves in the program (for just one year, for cryin' out loud!) for the good of the team.

justanotherfan 2 years, 4 months ago

Cal is a solid coach. Let's recall that after their consecutive titles in 2006 and 2007 Florida missed the tournament entirely in 2008 and 2009, then lost in the first round (as a 10 seed) in 2010. UNC missed the tournament under Roy after BOTH 2005 and 2009 after winning the title. So if Cal is not a good coach based on missing the tourney after winning a title, that means neither Roy or Donovan is, either.

And if Noel doesn't get hurt, UK probably makes the tourney this year, FWIW. UK was 8-2 in the SEC (17-6 overall) prior to the Florida game (when Noel got hurt). They finished the year 4-6 after the Noel injury. At the time of his injury, Noel was leading UK in blocks (4.4) and rebounds (9.5), plus averaging double figures (third leading scorer). Imagine if Jeff Withey had gone out with an injury for KU right after the three game skid. Does KU still make the tourney? Yeah, they probably do. But there's a pretty good likelihood that KU loses 3-4 more games and they are looking at a 6 or 7 seed instead of a #1, and that conference title streak is very much over. Would that make Bill Self less of a coach? Of course not. That would be a silly conclusion.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

Two national titles were a lot fonder on the memories of the Gator faithful back with Billy Clyde Gillispie got run out of Lexington.

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 4 months ago

You forgot to add that if Cal leaves it will probably be because the NCAA will be looking at more recruiting violations...he'll jump ship, Kentucky will be put on probation, last year's title will be vacated, and he'll get off clean...again.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 4 months ago

Let the high school kids go to the NBA. Some are truly ready. The only requirement I would make is any kid declaring for the NBA out of high school has to get a recomendation from a non bias panel. Names such as Jay Bilas, Lenny Wilkins and Jersey high school coach Hurley. People from all three levels with no interest in their decision either way. Have them evaluate the player and meet with them to guage their maturity and make a recomendation to NBA or NCAA. They don't have to abide by the recomendation but they do have to get it.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

Problem is that to many kids started making that jump. In the last year of allowing High school players to jump, 17 kids made the jump. 13 were drafted, 1 became a star. Some kids are ready. LeBron, Howard, Durant and Rose are freak players. However most kids think they are the best so they make the jump. To many NBA teams futures were set back because drafting kids based solely on potential. The NBA has greatly improved since they made every kid go to college. Or at least get a year over seas playing against grown men.

bradynsdad 2 years, 4 months ago

Call really threw his kids under the bus. Now with almost all players but Noel saying they are coming back I think that helps with Randle.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

Cal knows he has to clean house because he doesn't have as many one-and-dones as once thought. He already has 6 signees coming in, I believe. So to make room, he'll be telling some kids that it would be in their best interest (albeit everyone else knows it's in Cal's and UK's best interest) not to return.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

No way, He will be loaded, have more experience and more talent. That equals Final Four in 2014 right there.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

I mean, Im not a fan of Cal at all. I hate that guy, he cheats and gets away with it. Hence two vacated seasons he has had. BUT seriously, He will have a super loaded and experienced team next year.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

But he will have to run off some kids, probably a bunch of them. Someone on a website posted their roster the other day and, if I recall correctly, they appeared to be already at 3 or 4 over the limit going into next season and obviously they won't have the turnover for the NBA they were counting on.

kufaninmo 2 years, 4 months ago

we'll see! i think they were supposed to be really good this season if that says anything...and even if noel got hurt, if they were as good as they were 'supposed' to be than i wouldn't have thought they'd have imploded as they did.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

Isn't he limited to 13 scholarships like everyone else? How many are coming back and how many new ones has he already signed?

ohjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

He is limited to 13 scholarships. However, those scholarships are only year-to-year contracts. He could, theoretically, revoke scholarships for several of his current players in order to make room for newcomers.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

Goodwin will probably go pro. WCS didn't have that great of chance to make the jump, we knew Wiltjer would be back, Harrow leaving and Poythress staying are somewhat surprising. Poythress is talented enough you'd think he'd be a one and done. I'm sure Cal would love to have Harrow back, but Harrow knows he'd be the backup PG. I don't think number of scholarships is much of an issue for UK 'cause they had so few scholarship players this year. It seems improbable for 2 teams that lost in the 1st round of the NIT to snag the top2 recruits, but you never know.

adamjhwkfan 2 years, 4 months ago

Goodwin stated after their loss that night that any of them would be "delusional" to not come back.. you never know though.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I think it would be hilarious if Harrow left and UK got Randle; for argument sake let's say no Wiggins or Gordon.

But regardless they'd all be celebrating the best recruiting class of all time, etc, etc. & then Andrew Harrison (the only REAL PG) goes down w/ a season-ending injury, with the only real back-up being that little white-guy, Polson.

Bill Anthony 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't like Cal or Kentucky, but could never think that a kid going down with a season-ending injury is hilarious. Their losing again in the first round of the NIT would be hilarious, though.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

ESPN currently shows 6 Kentucky 2013 Player Commits, 5 signed, and ESPN's #1 center committed yet unsigned. The roster shows three scholarship's opening up from Freshman Noel and 2 Seniors: Twany Beckham, Julius Mays.

Coach Cal after last nights loss does indeed throw his players right in front of a fast moving bus, ick:

"A game like this is exactly what (this years Kentucky players) needed to see and to evaluate yourself: am I tough enough to really play this ball game? Am I tough enough to play college basketball? Maybe I'm not. I don't have it" -SportsCenter clip of Cal's post game press conference

"They haven't had any discipline all year…We ended on a note we've been talking about (all year). We can't really play (disciplined)……

From a Yahoo blog post titled "Kentucky freshmen insist they’ll return after NIT loss at Robert Morris ends humbling season":

Asked if he'll be back for his sophomore season or consider entering this June's NBA draft, Goodwin told reporters after the game, "If any of us were saying we think we should leave, then we’d all be delusional."

Alex Poythress and Willie Cauley-Stein weren't quite so definitive about their intentions, but both said they were leaning toward coming back too. Of course, they could all change their minds once they take a week or two to cool off, assess their draft stock and consider the talent arriving at their position in next year's recruiting class, but for right now it's an intriguing possibility to consider.

"The best thing that is going to happen to us next year is that we're going to have unbelievable competition at every spot," Calipari told reporters Tuesday. "So there's no one promised, saying 'OK, I played 30 minutes a game.' You may play five. The stuff I had to accept this year, the program almost got hijacked."

That would be great Coach if you had three extra scholarships to offer to your players that have already committed. It would be shocking if Randle picked Kentucky.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes. He'd be better off at Florida or Texas. Of course, he will be best off at KU. Someone has a very astute list of why he will be. I hope he thinks about his position. I hope he reads these posts.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 4 months ago

Soooo... Calipari essentially tells his team, "We sucked because of your bad attitude, your lack of effort, your __, so it's all your fault." And They're all going to come back?

Ann Oneill 2 years, 4 months ago

Cal obviously has no control over his players. No discipline? Whose fault is that? Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

21 wins inked in for Kentucky in 2013 with their loss to Robert Morris. Here are the all-time leaders for most victories in NCAA Division I men's college basketball:

2111 Kentucky

2099 Kansas

2089 North Carolina

Fourth place is so far behind it isn't even worth posting.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep...already made up 8 this year...with more to come!

Eric Dawson 2 years, 4 months ago

Ha! Speaking as a Jayhawk (b82, g84), I can understand you not wanting to have both UNC and Duke in your post, or to highlight the fact that Duke is just two wins shy of joining the top 3 in the 2000 wins club (1998 Ws entering the NCAAs). Of course, they gained a lot of ground under K, who won't be around that much longer, but while he is, figure they are going to make up more ground (although likely not on KU -- so far this year they've lost ground -- 2 games -- to KU), Coach K is just too good.

Also FWIW, #5 is Syracuse at -- are you ready for it -- 1870! The next closest just cracked 1800 Ws this year (Temple, 1813).

actorman 2 years, 4 months ago

Remember how people were saying they hoped UK would squeak into the NCAA's so they would lose early and not gain ground by winning in the NIT?

Well it doesn't get any better than this, does it?

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking about this...I know we made gains on both the 1st and 3rd teams this year! Thanks for looking up and posting. Hopefully we can improve some more yet this season!

Joe Ross 2 years, 4 months ago

Agree with you, jayhawk. Cant lose that many games, even though their losses were mostly to good teams (Butler, Indiana, NC State, Miami three times, Duke twice, NIT Virginia, and lowly Texas). While there is no love lost between Kansas and UNC, it's good to know that the drama that has been overplayed with Roy Williams has subsided. The pot-stirring antagonizers have largely been shut up with the exception of a handful of nut-jobs. And besides, we have a coach who improved on what Roy did while he was here and that has certainly helped to attenuate the hard feelings; that, and the reasons Roy left were, in my mind, entirely understandable. Ten years on it makes zero sense to be acrimonious about it, although it does make for some good television.

After what figures to be a Kansas win over WKU, Kansas will face a slate of teams that have the potential to knock off a number one. A run to the championship could, for example, look like this: WKU, North Carolina, Michigan (or VCU), Georgetown (or Florida), Indiana or Miami, and Louisville. That's just a killer schedule. Probably no worry about Kansas underestimating teams. I think it's actually good that Kansas has been in some dogfights this year, and maybe even good that we came out on the losing end a few times. Somehow, having been reminded that we are not invincible should spur these Jayhawks on and provide some much needed focus.

Regarding Randle, I guess we will soon know. None of us should be counting chickens although I've been reading a lot of experts say Kansas will be his choice (due to playing time? fan support? pipeline to NBA?). I personally like his chances of becoming a Jayhawk about noon tomorrow.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

I like the fact too that many "experts" aren't picking KU to go beyond the Sweet 16...should provide some extra motivation.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

Remember that exact thing happend in 08. We all know what happened there!!

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 4 months ago

Roy is blathering on and on when his league lays eggs. Poor Duke! Poor Miami! Whatever ..........just shut up and play ball. Still whining.

arch007bak 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad Bill and Roy seem to believe there's no issue with a potential KU / UNC match...ESPN and SI sure seem think there is though.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 4 months ago

They tried to talk it up like it was a big deal.

The big deal going forward with matchups like UNC is KU moving up in all-time stats. Could tie Duke and UK for FF's at 15 after this year, could tie UCLA with 22 Round of 8 appearances, tie Duke in Champ Game appearances, could tie Duke in titles, gain ground on UK and increase distance form UNC in all-time wins. Then there's all-time tourney wins where KU trails Duke by 2 and UCLA by 6, how perfect would it be to tie them both up with an NCAA title this year? Okay, now I'm just being greedy, but you see where my mind is.

The rate Self and KU have been going at over the last couple decades has made it conceivable to reach the top3 in all the major tourney accomplishments: FF's, tourney wins, EE's, champ game appearances, dare I say tourney titles? KU can work up a lot of those standings this year or at least over the next 3-4 if things go well. We also don't want UofL or IU gaining ground on us.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm a huge KU fan, and it really doesn't matter to me much. For all the Roy haters, get over it. Roy simply went home to his family and if you can't respect a person for that decision, then how exactly do you prioritize your life?

It was 10 years ago. I happen to like UNC's team, although I don't like the athletic department for jumping the gun while we're playing for a nat'l championship.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Well said. Coach Williams went back to his family, and I don't blame him one bit. I am glad that he have us so many good seasons.

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree. The timing in 2003 was awful, but come on. It is long done and both schools are doing grea.

Feeling a real rivalry NC and KY is fine, dishing out hate is different. It is like hating your cousin. Ok, Calipari is our sleazy, crooked cousin, so maybe there is a reason there. There are so many ties between KU, the state of Kansas and those schools.

Even a Duke connection...Neil Daugherty played for Coach K at Army.

yellowjeep 2 years, 4 months ago

I know I'm late to the party for these comments but I still kind of like Roy. I went to his summer camp in the summer of 2002 and still have a photo of my self with him. I also have a signed ball from one of the late 90's teams.

Also how can we for get this? Roy is still a pretty good guy in my book.

KULA 2 years, 4 months ago

A Kansas/UNC matchup will always be a big deal. That's what you get when you're Kansas or North Carolina. The coaching situation with Roy just makes it a bigger deal.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

KU is 2 and 0 against Roy and UNC since CS took over and Roy left. If KU draws UNC in the second game, the odds are KU will beat them again. UNC likes to run and gun, they play small ball now but we can handle that and beat them at their own game in the process. Withey could have a Triple Dub in that game, if it happens.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

Off topic of UNC. Just my personal feelings of our KU team right now. I think those fellas are peaking at the right time. I think they are scary good, talented, experienced when they are playing their best, which they are, and could be just as tough as last years team. They have gone 3 and 0 in OT games this year. They have proven they can win many different ways. If those guys can keep up the intensity for 6 more games, I will be in Lawrence for the celebration. If they get bounced by a lucky team in the Elite 8 or sweet 16 or final four or something. I will still consider this team among my favorites of the Self Era. Lots of great games and memories from Withey's triple double, to Ben skying like Jordan, to Naadir and Perry finding their games and KU's Harlem Shake video and Ben's McClemore dance. I even got a ball signed by all the players. Great stuff, good times. I'll always remember it, regardless what happens in the next couple weeks. I just hope we cut down the nets!!! RCJHGOKU!!

actorman 2 years, 4 months ago

KonkeyDong, I believe Lulu is referring to KU being scary good right now, not UNC.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

I'll say this for Goober he took it better than I would. Obviously they were a 4 or 5 team and got screwed so they could probably be matched against KU. The committee wasn't interested in filling seats in KC, they knew these seats would be filled by KU fans if necessary. The committee was interested in TV coverage. The Nielsen rating ought to be very high for this game if it is played. Perhaps some of the clerks at the NCAA headquarters are angling for a raise and what better reason than increased revenue. Ah! amateur sports, you gotta love the professionalism displayed by all involved except unpaid players. Unpaid legally.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

They didn’t get screwed. As I posted above, Roy hasn’t beaten a ranked team since December. He screwed himself.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

They did pretty good in the ACC which isn't chopped liver. Maryland, Virginia, NC State may not be ranked but they are pretty good teams.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

This year the ACC WAS chopped liver. But forget about that for a minute. They played 7 ranked teams all season, and only won 1 of those games. 1-6 against ranked teams on the year. A 6 point win against #20 UNLV at home was all could muster.

That is not a good tourney resume.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

They were called a bubble team just about 2 weeks ago. They should be happy they're a 8.

kellerman411 2 years, 4 months ago

No way does Randle committ to UK after that dumpster fire last night. Cal flat can't coach and doesn't respect his players. You can throw them under the bus if there is still another game to be played but when it is the last one, you should take some of the heat. I mean, this was the freaking NIT, they lost to a team with two first names (Robert Morris).

Randle committs to KU today and everyone is happy.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Theory: Cal intentionally lost so he could immediately force players out today, just in time to reel in Randle.

ParisHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

But their draft stock went down so much they're coming back!

ohjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Not if Cal decides not to renew their scholarship. The scholarships are year-to-year contracts, not for an entire 4(5) year period. He could strongly urge some of the that they may be better off transferring elsewhere. I think one of the players even alluded to this in his comments last night. He said something to the effect of, I want to come back, but that may not be possible.

tis4tim 2 years, 4 months ago

Blown,

That was exactly my thought as I watched Cal's pathetic press conference. He talked about competition at every position next year, but questioned his team's manhood and whether the current crop of players should even be playing college basketball. He then said 30-minute guys would probably be playing only 5 minutes next season. Then he said numerous times that he would be "honest" with them during individual evaluations. At that point, I suspected the broom was coming out to clean a little house. It was also at that point, I thought our chances of landing Randle and/or Wiggins took a serious hit.

Not long after the presser, I heard Jimmy Dykes suggest those college kids at UK pack up their belongings and get out of Kentucky as well. Why would Jimmy Dykes care so much about that? Seemed really weird/suspicious to me.

THEN, I saw SportsCenter. One of the biggest upsets in college basketball and that story is third, buried behind the World Baseball Classic and the Denver Nuggets 13-game win streak. GUARANTEE if KU had just lost that game it would have led off the show. Of course, ESPN then parsed Cal's post-game ramblings, leaving out all of the disparaging remarks about his team. Instead, they showed him saying only that he was happy for Robert Morris, essentially making him look gracious in defeat, which he was anything but.

The love affair with this coach and team has got to end sometime and I hope it ends with sanctions.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

The funny thing is that where UK could still use the most help next year given the recruits they've brought in so far (An. Harrison (PG), Aar. Harrison (SG), J. Young (SG / undersized SF), Mc. Lee (PF), D. Johnson (C)) is at SF. I think Cal would LLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEE if EITHER Poythress came back or he could land Wiggins.

The things is, I think Poythress is STILL being projected as ~ a Top 10 pick. And Wiggins attitude-wise is far more resered than your typical UK player....seems a lot more like he'd go to FSU or UNC to me.

He could have tried to sell Ju. Randle on being a slightly larger "3" for them and that we would try to use him as a "4" / "5" mix and how it wouldn't translate to the NBA.....and he might well be right. Having said that I still think if we got him Self would encourage him to have a game much like the Morris twins where he could pay inside OR outside.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

tis - Jimmy Dykes was an assistant at UK at one point in time. I think he is pretty much thought of as a "homer" when he calls UK games.

tis4tim 2 years, 4 months ago

ohjayhawk,

You're right. Thanks. I was trying my best to recall what, if any, connection he had with the program for him to pile on so much. I knew he played at Arkansas, but I completely forgot the assistant gig at UK. Next time I'll use this new invention called the internet to help me out with my posts! :)

ohjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

No problem. I just am unfortunate enough to live close enough to Kentucky to have almost all of their games aired on one channel or another. So, I've heard plenty of Jimmy Dykes' rants about UK. I usually turn the channel shortly thereafter. It's very similar to listening to Bill Walton call a UCLA game.

Joe Ross 2 years, 4 months ago

That Robert Morris game is a stain on Kentucky's history forever. Somebody will make a movie about it in 20 years,...another David and Goliath tale of conquering a giant (although KY is far from that).

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

Did you happen to see the look on Calipari's face as he walked off at half time down by one? He looked totally lost and completely stunned. Wish I had a picture of it to hang in my office. Finally exposed for the fraud of a coach he is. There's a reason why NBA execs talk behind his back about how poorly prepared his former players are coming into the league. Ironic that he gets so much credit for handling one and done when, in fact, those kids could have jumped out of high school if the NBA had only allowed it. He can get the talent, no question about that, but he doesn't develop it. They're no better the day they leave than the day they came in.

Joe Ross 2 years, 4 months ago

Didnt see the look at the half but I saw him after the game. Seemed shell-shocked. Love it!

farnamjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

It's been 10 years since Coach Williams left. I'm grateful for the time he spent at KU. I plan on applauding instead of booing when he's announced at the game Friday night. I can't bring myself to boo a fellow Jayhawk and he is still a part of the KU family and its history.

It helps me to say that since the last 10 years have been better than the 10 before it thanks to the best coach in America. Thanks Coach Self

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself. He was great for our program while he was here, and did us an even greater service by leaving and opening the door for Bill Self.

Bob Thompson 2 years, 4 months ago

I was really upset when he left. Not that he left, but because he said up until the last day that he wasn't leaving..... Leave if you want to leave, but don't lie to us. We are much better off now with Coach Self. I can't see Coach Self pulling a stunt like that.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 4 months ago

He didn't say "up until the last minute" that he wasn't leaving. He said it back in 2000 when he turned down the UNC job the first time. He obviously meant it then, or else why didn't he go to Chapel Hill then when he knew it might be his only chance? He didn't lie, it's just that circumstances changed between then and 2003--mainly, KU's change of athletic directors.

Joe Ross 2 years, 4 months ago

@farnam...standing ovation for that perspective

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

I was not upset with Coach Roy Williams left. He had an opportunity to coach at the only school that could pull him away from Kansas. I had a feeling that Coach Bill Self would be named the head coach at Kansas. I started really watching him when we played them back to back in 2001 and 2002 in the NCAA tournament. Coach Self's Illinois teams were tough and don't give up. Bill Self has brought that same approach to KU and I am most grateful. I got nothing bad to say about Coach Roy Williams.

I think Roy Williams leaving was win-win. He was able to go somewhere that he clearly wants to be, and has even won two championships. Kansas was able to bring in another great coach and win a championship and be in the conversation for the National Championship, pretty much every year.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I was more hurt at the time. I will say that having been a Jayhawk fan since about '90 / '91 that in analyzing Williams & Self's teams....I like how our kids learn defense & stress it moreso over their time at KU. I would say that some will come in as seeming liabilities on the defensive end - i.e., B. Rush, Tr. Releford and leave as some of the better defenders in the country!!!

I also like how we seem to recruit all over - and particularly way heavier in the eastern half than we used to when Roy was around.

Roy's specialty seemed to be California & Iowa / Midwest.

Coach Self will recruit everywhere but WAY heavier in the East than Roy had.....not sure I even remember an Eastern Roy recruit...about the furthest east was Kenny Gregory from out of Ohio.

Self meanwhile has gone to Calif., Alaska, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Philly, D.C., New York, New England even (Tharpe, Selden - even T.Rob. played for that Brewster Acadenmy in NH) & Chicago areas. Maybe not as heavily into California as I'd quite like but....

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 4 months ago

Gotta love Roy!!! Dude wore a Jayhawk sticker two nights after we bamboozled them in '08. Then he told the UNC fans to back off when they got upset, shows some character from Roy.

That being said - I want to slaughter Western Kentucky and then slaughter UNC or Nova.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Two Topics I would be happy to never have to hear or read about again:

One: Roy coming back to Kansas or any other big news propogated because UNC plays Kansas while Roy is still coaching.

Two: Parity. Every coach in America is using the catch phrase "parity". Parity is propaganda, too. It was hatched by the media to draw more interest in the Tournament--once they found out America loves Cindarella teams, they decided to start producing more of them.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

I will aggree with KULA's post. Of course it's a big deal. It's KU vs UNC a battle of all-time great programs.

But I for one am tired of all the hyping it as Roy Williams vs KU. Like Bill Self said, it's already been played out. Roy has played against KU twice already. It's been 10 years since he coached at KU. Let's talk about KU vs UNC and not Roy Williams vs KU.

That said, Roy Williams would likely feel a lot less anxious about playing against KU if he had won either of the previous match-ups.

Boouk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'll be extremely disappointed if Julius goes somewhere other than KU, especially if he selects UK.

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't understand the criticism of Roy Williams. He was just being honest. UNC did get screwed in seeding. Every criteria would indicate they should be higher seeded. Look at RPI and how they finished.

As someone who has been following KU since the late 60s, I know that the reason KU is considered a Top 5 program year in and year out starts with what Roy Williams did at KU. Larry Brown got us back into the discussion, but he won only one conference championship in five years and of course will always be remembered for his masterful coaching job in 1988.

We get upset today when we are ranked outside of the Top 10, but before Roy we celebrated when we were ranked. We would have a great team every 3-4 years, not every year. We owe a lot to Roy Wiliams. I was upset when he left but I'm not sure I would trade KU's last ten years with UNC's. Carolina does have two championships.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Your last sentence is the only problem I have with Roy. He had better talent at KU and twice blew a NC, once with zona and the other with cuse. Roy should have at least one NC at KU. All the great things he did are some how wasted time in my book without a NC. Other than that, Ol' Roy is a great guy.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 4 months ago

The only reason he was in a position to "blow" any national titles is that he put together one great team after another and was in the title conversation every year. Roy was a couple of unlucky bounces away from a few titles at Kansas, just as Self is a couple of lucky bounces away from having zero titles. They both have had equally great careers, in my opinion, though Self has time to grab a few more championships and perhaps ultimately surpass Roy among the all-time greats.

DanialBartlett 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey KU fans listen to this, if you haven't already heard it! We have the best fans in the world!! http://youtu.be/5SBoV9oyTzQ

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Cool, although I could only understand about every third word.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Not only was Stephen F. Austin stuck in the NIT, they were ALMOST ranked most of the year & yet ONLY got a 5-seed in that NIT & were forced to travel to Stanford to play last night.

Chad Dexter 2 years, 4 months ago

SFA is ranked #70 in the RPI. Their SOS is 318. Winning 27 games against dog poop competition isn't enough to get you invited to the big tourney.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I wasn't saying that they deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament but I felt like they at least deserved an NIT home game.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 4 months ago

Recruits. Do you want to end your college career losing in the NIT on the home court of a low major?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] Do you all know what the NIT really is???......it's a tournament to see who finishes in 69th place...and Kentucky couldn't even do that!!

2] ASHLEY WEEPS!!

3] Take this as a good sign but Julius's last name virtually rhymes with mine!!

4] EVERYONE ON ROY'S BACK....GET OFF NOW!! You all saw his support for Kansas in 2008 and if you saw the 50/50 ESPN special on "The Rules", his ringing endorsement of Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas Nation was astoundingly candid and totally awesome. LET IT BE!!!

5] If the article mentioning that 4 of the 6 ESPN "experts" picked Julius to come to Kansas, then, let's hope that just once, they actually got somethng right!! :)

6] Andrea...warm up your computors..The Big Man is coming to town!!

7] The size of the slaughter is directly proportional to the praise given to the opponent. It sounds like HCBS is looking at WK as a team with four OADs and a 20 game winning streak..and we're playing in their gym!!

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Even if we don't get Randle she'll have plenty of work to do with P. Ellis, Traylor & Embiid.

From all accounts she'd already worked a ton of magic on Landen Lucas this season.

kellerman411 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, when he verbally blows a team like this, it usually means we're about to wax them.

MinorThreat 2 years, 4 months ago

Hopefully Randal had a dream last night in which he was wearing a ku uniform...

Alan Dickey 2 years, 4 months ago

KenPom, which like some other objective rankings, is far superior to the RPI. UNC is ranked 28th on PenPom. That's the last 7th seed if it was picked that way. That's only a hair different than an 8-seed. Roy has nothing to complain about. Welcome back to KC Roy (if you can beat Villanova).

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Regarding Kentucky, I'm conflicted about the matter of whom got thrown under the bus...the Wildcat payers or their coach. Other than Nerlens, who appeared to be assuming leadership to right their flagging ship prior to his seasonending injury, the highly rankied recruits stunk up the season. Of course, much of that mess lies on Cal's shoulders for having amassed such a crew, then not being able to guide them into teammanship. But there were obviously a collection of hard heads in that starting lineup. They certainly demonstrated from the getgo that they didn't come to play yesterday at Robert Morris. In the final analysis, Cal and staff couldn't get and hold their attention. But sometimes attitude is just too difficult to overcome. Frank Haith is dealing with much of the same problem with his point guard Flip Pressey. When coach and star players are not on the same page, the bus rolls over everyone concerned. If all or most of Kentucky's players return, but for Nerlens, Cal might be in for even more of a mess next season. I would not be at all surprised to see him bolt for the NBA if an intriguing offer should arise. The One-'n-Done Monster might have kicked him beneath those 30" wheels.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

The Randle decision today not only will largely determine our fate for 2013-14, but it will also determine the nature of the discussion on this website. The latter can't be overstated. Randle's commitment will make things much easier here.

To put things in perspective, Randle ends up coming to KU, we're in the position to compete for a 1-4 seed, being the Big 12 preseason favorite, and business as usual .. even replacing 5 starters.

Without Randle, we may look much like UNC .. a team that played better playing small, and a team that ended up as a 8 seed. We won't be the preseason Big 12 favorite. We may be ranked in the top 25, but maybe not. Self has proven that he can overcome. But 2013-14 might be his biggest challenge because of the post position.

Traylor is a low-skill project whose game is energy. Lucas could not convince Self that he deserved PT over Traylor to begin this season. And Embiid has been playing basketball for a very short period of time and although he looks incredibly high skilled, and promising, being a starter as a freshman is a tall order. Strikes me as the perfect 4th post player to start the season, progressing to first post off the bench.

Without Randle, I could easily see Self determining that a small lineup (focusing on the best players, not their positions) would present the best opportunity to win. Four starters from Tharpe/Adams/White/Greene/Selden/Frankamp, with Ellis starting as the lone post player. Clearly undersized. I think Self's desire to win will overcome his desire to stick with his tried and true system. Self could of course stick with his formula, but I have no confidence that any option after Ellis will be adequate in the post next season.

With Randle, though, it's business as usual.

Big day today.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I could see that.

I could see if we DON'T get Randle, Self may ACTUALLY try a lineup of something like:

Tharpe Selden Br. Greene White III P. Ellis

or maybe even:

Tharpe R. Adams Selden Br. Greene / White III P. Ellis

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree. Self will take Randle to a new level. He will also bring Traylor and Lucas along with Randle. Randle will make Traylor and Lucas better. If Randle leaves KU after one year, these two guys will be big leaders ready to dominate where Randle leaves off. Randle will leave KU in good shape and Self will take full advantage of this situation.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Randle and Ellis inside, yikes

Frankamp and Embiid redshirt? Frankamp and Greene redshirt? Frankamp, Greene and Embiid redshirt?

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Let's get Randle first.

Getting a little too excited.

kellerman411 2 years, 4 months ago

Some people think Randle would just be a bonus to an already stellar class. This class might already be stellar but we NEED Randle. I mean we really need him.

Phoggy_Notion 2 years, 4 months ago

who is to say that Randle will have a serious impact on the team? He could just as easily pan out to be like those highly touted big men @ OU and Texas over the last 3 seasons. Or worse, Randle could end up having the type of freshman year that Xavier or Selby had. Moreover, Randle is listed as a post player, but having watched him play, his game is more like an NBA Small Forward. Randle doesn't post hard, and appears to prefer playing off the bounce, rather than back to the basket.

Not sure why everyone is so convinced that KU will have a great team next year, based simply on the assertion that the incoming class will produce like UK's frosh class of 11-12'. Personally I think the team will be good next season, similar to the team of 2006. All these claims that KU will win the national title in 14' are just foolish.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 2 years, 4 months ago

I disagree. Your post reeks of fear. Here are some snippets from your post: "...but I have no confidence" "Lucus could not convince. . ." "we won't be the preseason Big 12 favorite" "THE RANDLE DECISION WILL DETERMINE OUR FAIT FOR 2013-14"

Dude - you put too much emphasis on one player and give no credibility to players who have played already in division 1, or at least practiced for a year like Lucas.

We didn't get Randle so I guess we're an 8 seed NEXT year, what?!?!?>!>?!?!?

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I have not looked closely at Roy's lineup this season, but am aware that he usually hosts a handful of McDonald's All Americans, probably more so since winning his two NCs. While access to such top talent can be a real plus, it also creates stressful sometimes sleepless nights for coaching staffs. Bill Self and Co. seem to thrive on the combination of one or two h.s. All-American talents mixed in with the majority of less talented but experienced returning players in his lineups. When the hard heads become unbearable, it has been bye-bye, as in the case of J.R. and Micah. J.R. would probably have ridden the pine much more but for the insistence of the upperclassmen whom Bill inherited. Even though I and many posters have been critical of Bill Self's quick yank, his winning ways demonstrate the viability of his imprint: My Way or the Highway. I cannot begin to imagine the difficulty in trying to work annually with a team loaded with little but top 20 freshman or sophomore talent. No Witheys, Relefords, Reeds, Morningstars, Moodys, Youngs, Kauns, Jacksons....

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Cal just shows his inability to transfer his system into the minds of kids who are all about themselves. Also he doesn't do well at recruiting for a system or the needed components. For all the complimnets he recieves, I think he's just way over rated. Now Roy, on the other hand, is a heckuva coach that hasn't lost his fire as some have suggested. But he is whining more since he's a mite longer in the tooth than when here. Hey, the ACC is no cakewalk even if they didn't get UVA & Maryland in the show. But he's not as proficient at adjusting to his talent during a season as Bill Self, nor does he like to play in KC either. Guess we all get cranky at some point-Villanova may knock him out right away. They have some great wins & a 1st rd out won't help his recruiting class either. Boy we hit the lottery when he went the way of the dodo. Speaking of which, something tells me whoever gets JR will have a wait with the NCAA process next summer. Hasn't worked out very favorable for HCBS as of late, so regardless any enthusiasm should be tempered somewhat. Even hats are expensive!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

"Cal just shows his inability to transfer his system into the minds of kids who are all about themselves."

Did you happen to see 2011-12 and that National Championship? Seemed to me that he got his system to work with top rated talent. Cal is a tremendous coach. But I understand that we prefer our way.

Don't let this season create any illusion that Calipari is anything but an exceptional coach. He just didn't get through to this team. And when his talent drops off, he's not quite as good. But he is a master of melding young guys into a winning squad.

Just my opinion, but I think Self would have made the tourney with Cal's team this season. Self is at a different level.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I'm bashing Cal, but he's one of those people we all have the misfortune to run into in various walks of life who are competant at playing the system to their own advantages, and does a little sidestep saying he didn't know anything when the water gets muddy, or John Doe takes an entrance exam for recruits. Plus my own personal opinion is that he is a shady crook who is not good for the college game. Fact is, he'd still be in the NBA if an owner thought he was up to it. At times last year there were kids on his team that just sleepwalked at some points, & his profane outbursts with TJones were public more than once. If he can't scale back up the wall next year, maybe he's peaked out & is ready for the studio job at ESPN. That clearly happens to some guys. Plus, that may have been the most talented CBB team ever so a valid point might also be who wouldn't have been highly successful with them? My point is that regardless of spin Self is clearly at a diffrent level than Slimey or Roy. The TCU debacle & ISU games have been given far more air time than they deserve. He consistently tweaks his teams on the fly during the season better than anyone out there. Also, maybe we should give Robert Morris a little credit for todays headlines too. Even if UK could not be motivated to play, RM still had to step up to the plate. Best headline Randle could see far as I'm concerned. JMO

741hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I think the difference is that last year Cal had a very dominant frosh senior and, most importantly, a few reasonably skilled upperclassmen that could provide veteran leadership. This year's team has none of that.

Next year's KU team will be very young. Will we be able to rely on Tharpe, Ellis and Traylor for leadership?

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

First 2 for sure. Will their confidence waver at times, of course. But like JB says barring major injury, we'll be there again in March with the hand Bill's playing. Who knows about Roy or cares care about UK. They are not even an afterthought.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

I am so angry about Coach Williams leaving that I will not even watch the tournament. In fact, I have not even paid any attention to KU BB since he left. I am assuming that Coach Self, or whoever it was we hired from Illinois has totally destroyed our program. As soon as we hired that guy I knew we had NO chance to EVER win a conference championship, much less a National Championship. Heck, Coach Self could not even convince Brandon Rush to come to KU, and that is why he chose K-State. Didn't Mizzou, Nebraska, and aTm all sweep us this year?

Hey, I will be back later...gotta tell those darned teenagers to get off my lawn again...

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Okay, got the kids of the lawn. Now for a serious comment. I can not express how much I appreciate having both Coach Williams and Coach Self as our coaches. Both of these guys have a tremendous amount of class, and have been great assets. In my opinion, both will always be Jayhawks. Furthermore, I cheer loudly for Coach Williams and the Tar Heels when they are not playing us.

Robert Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

No one wants to be an 8 or 9 seed because you are guaranteed playing the #1 seed in the second round. I'd rather be an 11 seed and play the six seed and see if upsets happen in the next round. You could play a 3 seed; you could play a 14 seed.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

Here's a link to my blog with some tips on how to fill out your bracket: http://citeachery.wordpress.com/

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

THIS JUST IN!!!!

Julius Randle to commit to Kansas, Kentucky, Texas or Florida today at 12:20 c.d.t....just in case you had not heard!! :)

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

Kansas Basketball is not about one player coming or not. If Julius Randle comes to Kansas, then I think it's great. If he decides to go somewhere else, which is his choice, then I wish him the best. No one player will determine where we are ranked or what we are perceived as. For as long as Coach Bill Self has been at KU, he has found a way to put a capable, competitive team on court. Conference Champions 9 years in a row. I am not the least bit worried.

Next year, just based on what we currently have in cupboard, we should be okay. Point Guard Naadir Tharpe, has already shown he can hit a game winning bucket, and when he makes mistakes on the court, seems to find a way to make up for it. Perry Ellis is just now coming into his own, and I believe he will be a double-double machine next year. I am amazed at how much Jamari Traylor has improved over the season. He went 7-7 from the free throw line in the Big XII Tournament. Next year could be a breakthrough, it usually is for big men in the Bill Self system. Andrew White may get an opportunity to show what he can do? We also have Landen Lucas, who has had a year in the system. Combine that with the incoming recruits, and Coach Self's track record, I really like our chances next year. This year's team was not supposed to be so either, with the loss of Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor, yet here we are with another Number 1 seed! Go Bill, and Go Jayhawks!

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

You nailed it again!

Randle can help.

He might help early.

He might help late.

He might help a following season.

You never know about when 5-star freshman help.

You only know they will eventually help.

A rotation of Perry, Jamari, Landen and Joel is a rotation Bill would have killed for at Illinois.

It is a rotation most D1 coaches would kill for next season.

Every single coach in the Big 12 would trade places with Bill to get that rotation.

If Randle shows, what it means all depends on when he can help.

What Perry Ellis choosing KU meant, all depended on when he could help.

If Randle can plug and play, well, then it means one of two things:

a) Perry moves to 3; or

b) Jamari red shirts (if he can); or

c) Randle plays 3!!!!!

But if Randle can't help immediately, the best you can do is what Self did with Perry this season. You craft a team scheme he can plug into as a backup and have him become this awesome reserve coming in as Perry appears to have become for the Madness.

But the key point is that KU basketball goes on, whether Randle signs or not.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

He had a rotation at Illinois that should have won him a national championship. UNC should have been called for about 10 moving screens that game and May should have had about 10 offensive fouls called on him.

Luther Head, Derron Williams, Dee Brown, Roger Powell, James Augustine was a fearless killer lineup that if you might remember was upset by a talented but very young Ohio State team on a desperation 3. That was their only loss all season until the title game. I just looked up their schedule, they destroyed teams all season. They had that incredible comeback against Arizona in the regional final. Down 14 with about 4 minutes left to force OT.

That being said I like the look of our young lineup for next season and will just be amazed in about 2 years when they'll challenge the domination of the best teams in history.

GortHawker 2 years, 4 months ago

As mine and I'm sure every Jayhawk out there my beloved Roy williams would say " Aw shucks, darnet", we got screwed but he's just tryng to fire his team up. Go Hawks!

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Roy is at that stage of his career where coaches get to (and do) say dumb things.

Phog said KU could win with Wilt and four cheerleaders.

Roy thinks he deserves better than an 8 seed with 10 losses and a 4 guard team.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

"But again guys, our RPI was 17, 18 or 19. I’m good in math. Divide that by four and you don’t get to eight.” --Ol'Roy

Roy doesn't care about KU getting it region stacked against it.

Roy just cares that he is being used to do the stacking.

Crocodile tears.

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

Exactly right! KU is so much better off with Self. At the time......I really disliked Roy.....but now I thank him for leaving. I appreciate what he did at KU......but Self is in a different league. If Roy ever came back for something at KU.......I would stay seated and politely clap......No standing ovation from me. That kind of sums up how I feel about him.

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

PS-Jaybate thanks for your comment from yesterday.....sorry I just saw it today & responded.

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't care about Roy Williams anymore. He left Kansas.....I left him. Period. He doesn't matter to me.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Piling on Calipari and UK is fun, but he still won a ring with this system of stacking 5-stars.

I don't think Cal cares a whit about one bad season.

He's playing it smart, if you are going to use his approach.

You throw the players under the bus, when it doesn't work.

You take the credit when it does.

You have to take the credit when it works, because if you don't then the 5-stars will think they can go anywhere that compensates the same and do okay.

You have to throw them under the bus, or the alums will hang you.

Cal's living on a win as you go plan.

Each season is brinksmanship, when each season your guys are inexperienced and jumping end of season if anyone will have them.

I hate defending him at all, but where would Self and KU be if Withey or Ben or Trav got injured as Noels did.

Self and KU would be SOL ; that's where they would have been.

Self is a way better coach than Cal.

Self runs a system aimed at continuity.

Self is better at masking and patching.

But no coach can afford to have his cornerstone player go down for the meat of the season and win big.

Self was so lucky that BRush has to rehab during pre conference and got ready by conference.

Self was so lucky that Dir developed and Ben was a super man, and Withey was the Sulatn of Swat, or EJ's injury could easily have turned the team upside down.

Stil and all, its good to see wrong way guys really suck.

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

Have to agree. It was fun seeing Kentucky lose yesterday. But in their defense.....I doubt they were even half motivated to win in NIT. Maybe just glad to get it over with. Still.....nice to see the rushing of the court at their expense.

Rob Bedford III 2 years, 4 months ago

Julius Randle's suit matches the UK hat on the table.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Tick, tock, tick, tock....espnU live. Too bad the dish signal is not HD.

Pbbut 2 years, 4 months ago

Is it me or are does anyone else think this seeding issue is overrated? In this day, to win it all you have to beat five very good teams, if you're seeded 5 or higher, you'll have to beat six very good teams. Match-ups, injuries, and a touch of luck have more impact than your seed on selection Sunday.
Just play the damn game!

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

Breaking News: Randle has no spine. Commits to Kentucky.

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

What a loser. This is getting really f** old.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

"Dr Watson, collar the hounds & follow the breadcrumbs."

ajhk 2 years, 4 months ago

Looks like after the poor season the money stepped in and said, "Cal what do we need to buy you to make sure next season isn't a repeat?"

A fancy new Randle it is!

F'm

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

Randle? Disappointing......but so what? Somehow.....I think Kansas will be just fine without him. Only more than a hundred years of history to back me up on that.

FearlessJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Play the way we are capable of and we'll be fine. As far Randle, I believe we'll be better off without him. He seems to be the kind of player that has a prima-donna attitude. He belongs at Kensucky.

Lacy Mohler 2 years, 4 months ago

As far as Roy is concerned the NCAA is flogging a dead horse. Either they think UNC vs KU is still a big story or they won't be happy until UNC comes out the victor and Dickie Vee can crown them the superior team.

I always felt Roy's problem was he couldn't honestly tell a recruit Kansas was the best place to play basketball. There was always that elephant in the room---"after UNC and Duke".

If I remember correctly in 2008 the Tar Heels didn't have to leave North Carolina during the tournament until they came to San Antonio--where they promptly were beaten. Roy doesn't like to wander too far from home even during the regular season. It seems like after the UNC loss to KU in 2008 we looked up Roy's season and other than an early trip to Las Vegas the farthest west his team had traveled was Ohio.