Monday, March 18, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Seeds say KU in toughest NCAA region

The clocks have changed. Winter is about to step aside for spring. So it’s that time again — time for every supporter of every NCAA tournament team to grouse about their team having the toughest road to the Final Four.

Reader poll

Of the teams in the southern region that KU will play, which are you most concerned about?

• Georgetown 20% 186 votes
  • Florida 17% 159 votes
  • Michigan 25% 231 votes
  • VCU 15% 141 votes
  • North Carolina 13% 121 votes
  • Western Kentucky 7% 65 votes
  • Other 2% 20 votes

923 total votes.

Now, thanks to the NCAA tournament Selection Committee’s efforts to become more transparent, there is a way to measure such claims, and by that measurement only 16 schools from one of the four regions can say the numbers back them up.

That region is the South, whose top seed is Kansas University.

The committee seeded the field from 1 through 68 and released those seedings. The best means of determining which region is toughest is to add up the overall seeds of the top four seeds in each region.

In the South, Kansas is seeded second overall, Georgetown seventh, Florida 10th and Michigan 13th, for a total of 32.

Next toughest is the Midwest with a total overall seed number of 33, followed by the West (35) and East (36).

Of course, the objective measurement presupposes the committee’s seedings are on point when in fact they are the subjective consensus of 10 members.

Even in the world of opinion it’s difficult to see KU’s hurdles as anything but the tallest among the four No. 1 seeds.

Michigan a No. 4 seed? Michigan? The Wolverines are tied for 10th in the latest Associated Press poll, which would make them a No. 3 seed if that’s how they were assigned.

Michigan point guard Trey Burke is the leading candidate for national player of the year honors, and Big Ten coaches also voted Tim Hardaway Jr. to the five-man first team in the nation’s best conference.

In order to reach a potential Sweet 16 matchup with Michigan, Kansas must first defeat Western Kentucky — not a problem — and then the winner of Villanova vs. North Carolina.

The Tar Heels head into the tournament on an 8-2 roll with the only losses coming to a pair of No. 2 seeds, Miami and Duke.

Complaints from KU backers about their team’s path to the Elite Eight have merit, but suspicions that the NCAA intentionally put Kansas coach Bill Self and his predecessor, Roy Williams, in each other’s path do not. A potential third meeting in six years between the coaches ranks as no better than the third-best story line Kansas could have drawn from the 8/9 seeding line, which was where Missouri, in the Midwest, and Wichita State, in the West, landed.

The Self-Williams storyline can’t compare with a Border War reunion one year after “the last game ever” between the bitter rivals.

And if the selection committee wanted to get into the business of matches made in TV heaven, it could have put Wichita State in Kansas City and interviewed the Kansas legislators who want to pass a law forcing the Jayhawks and Shockers to play each other. Better yet, they could have put Wichita State against Missouri, ensuring major drama. That’s not how it works.

And despite what you might have heard on your television, here’s how else it doesn’t work: When bracketing, the committee no longer follows what is known as an “S” curve, wherein the top seed on a line faces the worst seed on the next line and the worst seed on a line faces the best on the next line. It used to work that way.

Now, one-by-one, the committee places a team on the bracket, starting with No. 1 and working backward, and the school that is, so to speak, the batter up is sent to its most geographically friendly position.

When the mouse is put over a site, the mileage from that school pops onto the screen on the wall, but the decision isn’t purely based on miles. For example, Lawrence is 527 miles from Indianapolis and 526 miles from Arlington, Texas, a virtual tie. Indy is in Big Ten country, Arlington in Big 12 country, where Kansas has a much bigger footprint, so KU was placed in the Arlington region, known as “North Texas” so as not to offend the tall hats in Dallas.

Comments

finestack 7 years, 10 months ago

Tom, if we now become the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 will it "not be a problem" for you to eat a red scarf? Talk about creating some bad Juju!

Also, what is the conclusion of this piece?

utahjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Tom, for once, can you please please,please stop shooting off your overconfident mouth?!! Like your brilliant article about six weeks ago when you penned who would,take 2nd place in the conf race!

mattiesdad 7 years, 10 months ago

There is almost never a conclusion to a Keegan piece. I think there is a secret file in his office where he has the final summation paragraph to every piece he every wrote. He'll probably publish them one day strung together in an incoherent book. Title options: New Beginnings, One Second to Deadline, Procrastination Fascination, The ADD Columnist by Tom Ke....hey, let's go get a donut.

Larry Smith 7 years, 10 months ago

I think a 4 for Michigan is about right. They have lost 6 games since the beginning of February. That's not exactly tearing it up.

hornjo 7 years, 10 months ago

I believe We can fly! Soar Open Door Mario Chalmers I Can See IT touch the Sky,

Rock Chalk! see you in Georgia, Peach

TheBoHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

See... this is what I hate about journalism this time of year.....Keegan, Tait, whoever. Let's just paint the bleakest picture possible for our players who are young men/ KIDS who will undoubtbly read this article. Let's just get in their heads and lay the biggest festering egg of "wow.. Night on Bald Mountain"... I'd rather you talking heads just shut up if you don't have any sort of positive spin our Jayhawks road to a Championship. Just spewing doubt... and I don't give a damn about a necessitated "assignment on tournament coverage"

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

BoHawk, it is not the job of journalists to prop up the home team; it is their job to give their honest opinion of what they think is going to happen, and to analyze the matchups.

If KU wanted a homer who would spout nothing but pablum, they would hire him themselves.

I have as much of an issue as anyone with Keegan sometimes, but for you to expect him (or Tait) to give nothing but sunny outlooks is utterly ridiculous.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

I think I remember in 2008 that we were also in the bracket most considered as being the most difficult. I can't swear to that but I'm pretty sure.

actorman is right on target. I'm not sure why anyone would expect different. These are journalists, not cheerleaders. Seeing Tom dressed as a cheerleader and showing off his belly button is not a picture in my mind wants to dwell on. Let him do his job...

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, jhawk, I'm having a boring day at work and needed a good laugh (although I'll probably have nightmares about it later).

TheBoHawk 7 years, 10 months ago

PS... to all of you who fear Michigan...they don't hold a candle to Florida. Promise..

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

I think you got it right. Florida will be the more difficult team to beat if for no other reason then their coach Billy Donovan. He was one of the coaches I was hoping we might grab if we hadn't gotten Bill Self

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

Florida has lost all six close games it has played. Most of its wins are in the SEC, the 7th ranked conference. They lost at Kentucky (without Noel), a place where Baylor beat them (with Noel). KU is pretty battle tested where Florida really is not. I could be wrong, but in a close game I will take KU any day.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

The two aren't mutually exclusive. We could play both.

WETSUhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Agree

VCU's press could be problematic but their offense is suspect in a half-court game.

Our defense and rebounding will take us to the FF if each player plays their average offense.

lurkerhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

such optimism. the hawks will need to bring more than just "average offense" to advance.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 10 months ago

We played below-average offense throughout most of last year's tournament and somehow advanced.

yates33333 7 years, 10 months ago

This is a pretty good quick analysis. Might give you the jaybate award.

Michael Luby 7 years, 10 months ago

Good post Drunken, I agree and have picked my brackets accordingly. I personally think KU's offense is peaking at the right time and is underrated at the present. They could easily raise their Kenpom ranking by 5-10 in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency... And we all know KU's defense this year is stellar, yet again. I am personally more worried about VCU in this bracket than anyone else for obvious reasons. But, I dont see CS losing to Shaka twice. As long as KU can handle their press, they should be fine. If we played UNC again, they play small ball which Withey has a tough time with but we still win that game 9-10 times. KU just has UNC's number. TK is right, its not a Bad Roy motivator anymore. That doesnt play in with the teams, only us. GTown should beat Florida has better offense and defense numbers than Gtown but I think Gtown wins that match up. If KU is rolling through their first 3 wins and doesnt appear to be struggling or "nicked up" as CS likes to say, then KU will spank Gtown for a second consecutive Final 4. I honestly dont see KU being the first team to lose to a 16 seed this year.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm surprised that so many are worried about VCU. Yes I remember 2011 but that was a totally different situation. Everyone had downplayed the Rams.

I remember listening to Jay Bilas saying that they didn't even deserve to be in the tournament and that they didn't pass the smell test. We had just beaten their crosstown rival Richmond and everyone was looking past VCU and into the Final Four. Then we found out that they were a disciplined well coached basketball team motivated by all the talk that they shouldn't even be there.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

Georgetown is a good defensive team but not that good offensively; KU averages ten more points in offense than Georgetown and has better stats across the board. Does any one remember their 37-36 win over Tennessee?
If Otto Porter is neutralized, Georgetown is in serious trouble. KU can throw Releford, Young, Ellis and Traylor at him. They really have no one that can match with Withey inside.

WETSUhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Lot of exciting match-up possibilities for KU to make it to NC. This KU team also poses match-up problems for everyone we face. We can play Dirty-D and Run-N-Gun, we have two guys coming off the bench that change our look and play, our offense gets better with these two, and defense does not suffer much.

This year's brackets are interesting, two brackets (Midwest and South) have heavy hitters, East is set up for 1 or 2 to come thru, and West is anybody's guess. KSU could make FF. OK State has a difficult match-up to start with. If they can navigate to play Louisville, they are a team that could give Louisville a game.

Mondays - Wednesdays for the next two weeks are too long and Thursdays - Sundays go by too quick.

Vince Brown 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with BoHawk. Just about the negativity stuff. I don't hate journalism. Those young men in Crimson & Blue have a pretty good idea what they'll be facing in the coming week or hopefully weeks. Those that haven't been in the pressure cooker of March Madness don't need writers spouting gloom and doom on the eve of the biggest game(s) they've ever played. Keep the downer talk to yourselves.

wavingthewheatinOH 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with vibptt and BoHawk. Negative blurbs cause worry, doubt, and fear. Why not try a different approach? Why not write something positive; something that will encourage and edify; something that will build confidence, trust, and believing? Let's help our Jayhawks maintain a winning mindset, so they can bring home the championship.

arch007bak 7 years, 10 months ago

I think Keegan writes this same article every year. Just like the writers in every other college town do.

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

As I said in response to BoHawk, journalists are not hired by the schools they cover, and it is not up to them to "build confidence, trust and believing." I never cease to be amazed at how many people expect journalists to just bow down and kiss the ground of the team they're covering, rather than to simply do their job.

stm62 7 years, 10 months ago

We had a certain player, who if he can continue to play like he did in the Big Twelve tournament, makes a very good team, much better. I like our chances.

arch007bak 7 years, 10 months ago

Just me or was that the most rambling article ever?

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you on that one, arch.

Although I think it's ridiculous to expect journalists to blindly support the home team, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect some semblance of coherence from a journalist.

Steve Corder 7 years, 10 months ago

Interesting, the ESPN grew all agreed that the toughest region is the mid west. But it doesn't matter one ounce. KU, if it plays well, can beat any one in the field. Questions should focus on how our kids play. Can EJ play without the senseless turnovers? Can Ben show up offensively? Is Travis ready to lead? Will Perry's performance in the Big 12 tourney continue? Will Jeff handle the big muscular men in the middle? Will Kevin & Nadair play within themselves and not force their play?

arch007bak 7 years, 10 months ago

Not that it has much to do with this article but tell me...why the fascination on ESPN a potential matchup with UNC and Roy followed by a potential matchup with VCU? KU and UNC have met twice in the last 5 years in the tourney with KU winning both and going on to the NC game. KU lost to VCU in 2011. Different players for all teams do matter don't they?

Joe Custer 7 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, pretty rambling but to the main point (I think) intended, the South is tough but in my opinion not as tough as the Midwest. One through four of Louisville, Duke, Michigan State and SLU is as good as any top four go this year. When you add Okie State at 4, Creighton at 7, Cincinnati at 10 and Oregon at 12 (okay that was insane. OU could be a 6. I think they are better than UCLA, the 6 in the South.

The SOuth's top four is very good: KU, GT, Florida and Michigan. Mich could be a 3. I think Florida is a weak 3. Should be a 5 or 6.VCU is a tough 5. UCLA is weak this year and much too high at 6. Minn is a very tough 11 though and should have no problem with UCLA in the second round.

It's close but the Midwest is a tougher bracket.

arch007bak 7 years, 10 months ago

To me, the thing that makes this region so hard is the coaching experience. What is it, 10 of them have been to the F4 and/or won the championship?

actorman 7 years, 10 months ago

I think you're right on the mark, STL.

One quibble: Oregon is UO, not OU.

Alex Wishart 7 years, 10 months ago

If we play VCU there is no way in H3LL HCBS let's Shakka Wokka get away with one.

yellowjeep 7 years, 10 months ago

I saw that on the shiver last night.... Still though, if he picks the KU hat (which I am increasingly beginning to think is a good bet) I am ok with it. Hopefully he doesn't show up with KU shaved in to his hair.

texashawk10 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm calling it right now that Nate Wolters and the rest of the SDSU Jackrabbits shoot Michigan out of the tournament and give VCU a run for their money and possibly knock them out as well. SDSU shoots 40% as a team from 3 point range and have 3 players at 42% or better that have taken over 125 shots each from deep so they are more than capable of shooting their way to an upset or two.

I'll also say that VCU and Georgetown are the two teams that will give KU the most problems should KU play them. VCU's success is based off their ability to create a lot of turnovers and get easy baskets and EJ and Naadir have both struggled to make smart passes and protecing the ball this season. Their defense also likely means McLemore won't be a huge factor because of his issues with turnovers. VCU is a team where some 3-2 zone when Withey and Ellis are playing together should be effective because VCU uses a 4 guard line up most of the time and they are not a great shooting team so a 3-2 defense would protect Ellis since he's not quick enough to guard someone smaller than himself on the perimeter yet. Their bigs are also not a 3 point threat so Withey should be able to camp out in the post and protect the rim.

Georgetown could be a problem simply because JT3 likes to make games as ugly as possible and Otto Porter is good enough to single handily carry the Hoyas to a win against good teams. That said, GTown's style of play also leaves them vulnerable to upsets and they have suffered multiple upsets as 2 and 3 seeds before the first weekend was over under JT3 so we can't rule out OU or San Diego St. pulling off the upset in the round of 32 against GTown.

It's not the most far fetched scenario to have KU have a repeat of 2008 and 2011 where they only play one single digit seed in their region.because Florida is only 5-4 over the last month making them look wounded and vulnerable to an upset while the Jordan Adams injury for UCLA is going to make Minnesota a popular pick for a double digit seed to reach the Sweet 16 this year. Not saying KU will only see one single digit seeded team in the South because I think it'll be a KU-GTown Elite 8, but it's also not a huge reach to imagine if it does happen to come to fruition.

KULA 7 years, 10 months ago

To continue the thread from last night--if you think Michigan and Florida are not capable of reaching the Final Four because they've lost games down the stretch, well, you're just wrong. Indiana is only 3-3 in last three weeks and no one's doubting their ability to get to the Final Four. UCLA can be very good, and they can also look like a team full of freshmen sometimes. Ben Howland knows how to get there. I don't want to run into UCLA on one of their good nights, even without Adams.

This is by far the toughest bracket, with five teams who've been in the Top Five rankings at some point in the season. I don't think too many people would be too surprised to see any one of the top six in the South get to Final Four.

Not that I'm complaining about the bracket, though. The greater the challenge, the greater the glory. I still think we've got seven better players than anyone in the field. And if Perry continues to contribute, we've got a whole other dimension for teams to prepare for.

texashawk10 7 years, 10 months ago

It's not that Florida and Michigan have lost a couple of games, it's that neither team has looked good for awhile. Florida is only 5-4 over the past month and Michigan is 6-6 since February started. Teams that struggle for that long of a period don't tend to have much success in the NCAA tournament.

mojayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

If you're a true champion, you have to beat whoever is in front of you. Who cares who we play? So what if we have to play UNC, Michigan, G'town, Florida, or Louisville. Don't forget, they are saying "We have to play KANSAS?!
Let's lace 'em up and get after it.

KULA 7 years, 10 months ago

Wrong Keegs. A Kansas/UNC-Bill Self/Roy Williams matchup has way more national television cache than Kansas/Mizzou. No one outside of Kansas or Missouri knows or cares anything about the "border war."

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 10 months ago

I also had to laugh at the notion that a Wichita State matchup would be some kind of ratings bonanza.

Nonetheless, I agree with Keegan that the conspiracy theories about the selection committee are ridiculous.

Tuskin 7 years, 10 months ago

I laughed, too - because it would be sooo exciting for both fan bases: WIN THIS ONE, AND WE CAN PLAY KU! Woohoo!

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 10 months ago

Odds makers have UF as the heavy favorite to win the South with Michigan having the best odds of any 4 to win their region. I know Billy Donovan is a great NCAA tourney coach and always seems to have his team at their best for it, but UF still doesn't have a road/neutral win over a top50 RPI team this year after the SEC tourney and the Ole Miss (#50 at the time) comeback. N'western St isn't quite top50, but they also aren't located that far from Austin. I could see UF out in the 1st round or I could see them in the FF, but if they're going to make a run they won't look anything like they did on the road or at neutral sites all season long.

The problem with Michigan is you usually have a shot at your 4 seed losing, but those odds aren't very good with Michigan playing in Auburn Hills and getting SD State as a 13 seed when they should definitely have been a 14. For all intensive purposes with the matchups and homecourt advantage for the Wolverines they did get a 3 seed.

Of course KU can't worry about Michigan 'cause the #27 team in the country (don't know how UNC didn't move up after a run to the ACC title game) is waiting in the 2nd game. UNC has the best odds of any 8/9 seed to win their region except for Pittsburgh and we all know why Pitt's odds are better, 'cause they drew Gonzaga who has the worst odds of any 1 seed to win it all.

Then look at the lack of a decent 6 or 7 seed on the other side to cause issues for UF and Georgetown. UCLA isn't a 6 without Adams. SDSU should have barely made the tourney, a 7 seed is an absolute joke and OU isn't exactly a top-notch 10 seed either. So unless Tubby Smith pulls out a special bit of coaching, one of Georgetown and UF will be in the Elite Eight. Only hope of that not happening is sadly Northwestern St making a dream run to the Elite Eight, not likely.

So in summation KU is doomed to play WKU which is a great program, UNC or Nova with one being in my mind a top25 team and the other a proven giant slayer this year, then Michigan or if we're really lucky VCU oh boy!, then most likely Georgetown but maybe UF if Donovan has them playing really well. The 2nd game matchup isn't as bad as Northen Iowa in 2010, but I feel the same way about the overall bracket I did that year, it was stacked. Let's hope these guys play some special ball out there, they're going to have to in order to reach Atlanta.

Michael Luby 7 years, 10 months ago

Gonzaga will be the first 1 seed to fall. Why? Because they havent lost a single game since January. They cruised through their conference and were hardly tested. Granted they beat 5 big 12 teams during their Non Con. But, come Thursday/Friday when the madness starts, Gonzaga will be up against a team that is hungry for an upset and good enough to do it. The game will be close, Gonzaga will either be behind during half time or take a slim lead, They will be tired and scared and they will get beat. Or I could be totally wrong and Gonzaga will just blow everyone out and win it all. But, Im not convinced.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 10 months ago

I actually think KSU has the best chances of any Big12 team to make the FF just due to the bracket. I had high expectations for Okie St, but playing Oregon in San Jose the SLU then UofL in Indy then MSU or Duke in Indy, just no way through all that.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 10 months ago

in KC? Either way, 1 tough game there still leaves them better chances than Okie St

ollerfarm 7 years, 10 months ago

Seedings, seedings! You have to win 6 games. Only one will do that. It's that way every year. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! 9 in a row. Perry Ellis on fire, Jeff W fired up, Ben Mc coming out party. It's all downhill from here, Ole Roy, too bad!

AirCapJay 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't know why everyone is so afraid of VCU. We did not show up to play them the last time. The twins gave them lip service and fired them up even more and we came out over-confident like they would be a push-over. VCU plays hard. We can too. When we play with as much energy as VCU plays with, we can beat anyone. We just have to take each game very seriously.

texashawk10 7 years, 10 months ago

VCU's biggest strength this year is one of KU's biggest weaknesses, that's why. VCU still runs that pressure defense that causes a lot of turnovers and EJ and Naadir haven't exactly shined when they've been under a lot of pressure this season.

LJ Gee 7 years, 10 months ago

Everyone is talking about VCU, I guess b/c they made the run a few years ago at our expense. However, Hollywood doesnt create reality folks. Nobody seems to be talking about South Dakota State and is the team I most worry about. Their PG is flat out awesome and they can light it up offensively. I think they'll beat both Michigan and VCU and they are exactly the kind of team we've struggled against in Tournaments past. They are the 4th best team in the country in terms of efficiency margin on a per possession basis, shoot 40% from 3 and do a great job of limiting turn-overs and fouls. I just think Michigan is overrated right now b/c they play no defense and have trouble with teams that do and I think SDSU's PG play will help them break the press and VCU will not be able to score with them, which brings us to our potential matchup with them. We should be able to dominate them on the boards (should) and I trust our defense to be able to shut down their best player. Nonetheless, they are underrated, uber-efficient, can shoot the three, limit turnovers and are offensively strong all over the floor. Those are the teams I worry about

andersonalex 7 years, 10 months ago

"so KU was placed in the Arlington region, known as “North Texas” so as not to offend the tall hats in Dallas."

Wouldn't the more solid reason KU went to the South and Louisville to Indianapolis have been that Louisville was the #1 overall seed and therefore got first pick?

Sam Constance 7 years, 10 months ago

If you look at these regions by their Pomeroy ratings, the following picture emerges:

In terms of seeds 1-4, The Midwest and South are easily the two most difficult regions. The Midwest has an average Pomeroy ranking of 8.5 through the top four seeds, and the South has an average Pomeroy ranking of 8.0. By comparison, the East's average Pomeroy ranking for seeds 1-4 is 13.8 and the the West's average is 14.0. The lowest individual Pomeroy rank for seeds 1-4 in the South is Georgetown (12). For comparison's sake, the West has two teams (New Mexico and KSU) that are ranked higher than Georgetown, and the East has three teams (everyone except Indiana) in the top four seeds that rank higher than Georgetown.

However, that's a bit misleading, because a team can only play two of the top 4 seeds within their region. Kansas can only play Michigan (4) and either Georgetown (2) or Florida (3), for example. So it's useful to expand the analysis to include the top eight teams within each region.

In terms of seeds 1-8, the picture changes somewhat--the West suddenly becomes the "toughest" overall region, followed closely by the Midwest and South. The East lags far behind. The average Pomeroy rank of the top eight seeds in the West is 15.3. The Midwest is 16.5, the South is 18.9 and the East is a laughable 27.5. In other words, the West has quite a formidable list of teams at seeds 5-8, whereas the East has some pretty mediocre teams at the 5-8 seeds.

Vince Brown 7 years, 10 months ago

Elijah - Boldest of the Prophets - 1. Elijah had incredible faith in his leader - 2. Under his leader's guidance, Elijah struck heavy blows against evil pretenders to the throne - 3. He loyally carried out instructions and struck boldly in the face of enormous opposition - 4. He was an instrument for miracles against those pretenders - 5. Elijah went on to prophesy the end of the enemies of his leader - 6. He had weaknesses - 7. His leader was patient with him, letting him regain his strength for future service - 8. He was ordered to anoint his successor - 9. He brought fire down from the sky - 10.Elijah led his people to a stunning victory on the Mount - 11.Elijah challenged a multitude of false prophets to a showdown - I think the Jayhawks got this!

Jackster 7 years, 10 months ago

I heard B-Mac will be on the upcoming Sports Illustrated cover. I am typically not a superstitous person, but the history for people/teams on the SI cover is not a good one.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 10 months ago

Don't they always do some kind of cover collage for their tourney preview? It may be Ben juxtaposed with 67 other players.

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 10 months ago

Yes, there will be 4 regional covers...each with a #1 seed. Ben is on the cover.

hawkmoon2020 7 years, 10 months ago

Like many of you, I don't care who we play. I'm tired of playing the "what if" game - though fun to do - and just want my Jayhawks to play great and win a NC. Next best thing to winning a NC is doing so by beating the Elites so the NC is not "tainted." We know this team has NC talent, but we also know they are capable of laying a "shocking" egg on any given day (but so do the other Elites.) Give it your best Hawks, and win 'em 1 game at a time!

BTW - no one sees Ohio State having a good shot at a FF?

KULA 7 years, 10 months ago

Seems like no one is even picking us for the Final Four. Another reason this team reminds me of 08--nobody picked us to win it all even though we had more talent in our top seven than anyone else--just like this year.

Steve Reigle 7 years, 10 months ago

So why would they care that Dallas might be offended by calling it the "Arlington Region?" After all, that's where it will be played, Arlington. And Arlington is smack between Dallas and Fort Worth. Right next door, in other words.

I would think it would be folks from Arlington who are offended. But, then, they are used to it. The "Dallas" Cowboys actually play in Arlington, not Dallas. And I think the Texas Rangers play in Arlington, or used to anyhow. Haven't kept up much with baseball in recent years.

mikehawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Why anyone is talking about anything except Western Kentucky, I have no idea. I hope KU's players are not. I know Coach isn't. You don't have to beat every team in this tournament, only the team right in front of you. This will be the toughest 1 -16 seed game you will ever imagine. These guys can beat us. No doubt about it. Take care of business and go from there. I hate it we are a #1, the hunted, instead of a #2 or #3 the hunter. It is what it is. Tip it up and let's get it on. No one likes to hear this, but I put our chances of getting out KC at 50/50. Tops. Mark it down.

Sam Constance 7 years, 10 months ago

Because as fans, it doesn't matter if WE look ahead to see what's likely on the horizon. That's what fans do.

And what in the living hell makes you think WKU can beat us? It's only slightly stupider than the notion that we have a coin-flip's chance in making it out of KC.

FearlessJayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Everybody is talking about a KU/Carolina rematch. Carolina may not even get past the first round with the supernova. Nova beat Louisville this year. However, the team that bothers me most is VCU. Since Johnson has all kinds of trouble holding onto the ball, this could be a nightmare.

monkeehawkSL8 7 years, 10 months ago

mikehawk, Thank you. The only game that is important right now is the next one. "TAKE CARE OF THE BALL AND WE CAN WIN IT ALL". One game at a time.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 10 months ago

It's all match ups. What will cause KU problems is: High percentage 3 ball shooting. NBA style spread the court and let a wing go one on one. And possibly, full court frenetic ball pressure and tempo. Any teams like those in the South Region?

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 10 months ago

It is official. Kentucky loses to Roger Morris. This has to be the first time the overall #1 seed (even if it is the NIT) loses to the last seed.