Monday, March 18, 2013

KU men’s basketball open practice set for 5:10 p.m. Thursday

Kansas center Jeff Withey dunks during warmups prior to tipoff against Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on Saturday, March 16, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Feature

2012-13 KU men's baskeball timeline

A look back at the best photos, videos and stories from this year's season.

The Kansas men's basketball team will have its open practice from 5:10-5:50 p.m. Thursday at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., in preparation for Friday's 8:50 p.m. NCAA opener against 16th-seeded Western Kentucky.

The practice is open to the public.

Here is the full schedule:

Practices (open to the media and general public)

Noon-12:40 p.m. — Ole Miss

12:45-1:25 p.m. —  Villanova

1:30-2:10 p.m. — Wisconsin

2:15-2:55 p.m. — Kansas State

4:25-5:05 p.m. — North Carolina

5:10-5:50 p.m. — Kansas

5:55-6:35 p.m. — Boise State / LaSalle winner

6:40-7:20 p.m. — Western Kentucky

Comments

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Brokers foundered on tickets last night & I found single game prices going up 300-400% within a couple of hours. Just ridiculous to allow this legal scalping. Some seats just at face value were over $900. CC companies gotta love suckers who pay that much for game tix.Weather is looking awful for the weekend too. Unlike last week, be nice to set in front of the fire for this one. Hot toddies maybe better than cold beer too. Hide the wife & children, get the dogs tied up, & keep the brandy handy JHawk fans, it's time to ratchet up that swag!

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

More fuel for the fire. From Sporting News.

"Softest region: South. This starts at the top with the weakest of the No. 1s, Kansas, no matter what absurdity the committee is pitching."

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

How to use ~ Respect all opponents but feel passionately and severely disrespected with a huge statement to make with our play every single game. Most of all have fun and a sense of swagger while doing it.

johninkc1 1 year, 5 months ago

JayHok, Funny, I thought we have the toughest region and the best top 5 seeds. Time will tell. If Perry and Ben play well and we get good point guard play from the Prophet and Na, we will be a tough out for everyone else. ROCK CHALK!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

I bet they were saying that in 2008, too.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

The South (gosh, I hate capitalizing that) is by far the toughest region, with 5 teams that have been ranked in the top five at some point in the season and a couple possible land mines in VCU and UCLA.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Two of those teams have been struggling big time of late. Florida is 5-4 over the last month and Michigan is just 6-6 since February started. This is why some people don't think the south region is as good as a lot of people want to believe it is. UCLA is not a threat either with Jordan Adams out for the year. VCU is the biggest landmine for KU prior to the Elite 8 because of their pressure defense and EJ and Naadir's struggles with making good passes under pressure.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 5 months ago

I understand. I've thought: "Bite Me" several times during the last day or so.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 5 months ago

I've got a Final 4 of Bucknell, Missouri, Ohio State and Kansas.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey you want to join my bracket pool. Entry fee is $100 :)

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Very mixed confusing message here. By any chance did you have a root canal procedure this morning?

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Missouri to the Final 4?

The Washington Generals beat the Harlem Globetrotters once (after a 2,495-game losing streak), so I guess anything's possible.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

My new two favorite Jayhawks, Dakota and Dylan Gonzalez, the incoming Twin Twin Tower Idaho guard Ladyhawks who have established very, very strong twitter relationships with one Julius Randle....more details as they become available!!!

C'mon JR..potatoes are good for you!!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Is Randle still sticking by choosing this week?

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

I'll be square in front of the HDTV & not downtown-local propane truck just left & dropped a $600 bill on the wallet. Only good thing is I get my last years fixed price & won't need another fill till about Jan 2014 or later. Costs alot of money to live this close to the metro even though I'm still zoned rural. I clearly remember the VCU debacle in 2010. It snowed that Sunday & after the game I got out some artllery & drove a truck out to the pasture to pop off some caps & steam. Is only about 30 mi to Sprint but I won't even go to the free open prctices if the weather is that bad. Had about 3ft snow in the drive for about 10 days after the last couple of storms. Don't mind colder springtime but snow is waaaay too much work for even younger pups. May have to hunker down again by weeks end. Hope nobody's quotin' Yogi Berra a week from today-Heaven forbid!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

I watched several A-10 games on cbssportsnetwork this year & St Louis whooped butt when I saw them. Think they are by far the class of their league but VCU still gives me jitters.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope EJ is reading all the experts citing 'no point guard'as their reason for leaving Jayhawks out.

He needs to put his shoes on and prove to them in Atlanta on the final night, what we already know: He is too strong!

I believe in EJ!

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

Hope you're right. He was 12-40 shooting with 16 turnovers in the big 12 tourney.

Adam Tyler 1 year, 5 months ago

In the South Region, there are 10 coaches with Final Four experience. In all of the other Regions combined...there are only 8 coaches who have made it to the Final Four. Talk about stacked...

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

The south also has 5 coaches that have won national championships with Self, Donovan, Fischer, Williams, and Smith while I believe the rest of the field has 4 coaches with titles (Pitino, Izzo, and Coach K in the midwest and Boeheim in the east) so the south region is definitely loaded with great coaches, but Bill Self is the best coach in the south regional and he has the best team as well.

John Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

Source? I need to shove this down some EMAW throats.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

is kusports doing the bracket this year?

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 5 months ago

It is worth noting Cal's first pick Derrick Rose 08 was @ Memphis. And ahem, KU won the title that year.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

They had signed with Memphis, although according to this article (and the date: 2007), it wasn't because Cal was quitting. Just weren't sure and KU was their "dream school"

colreader 1 year, 5 months ago

don't forget that KU has been a 1-seed 5 of the last 7 years. Hard to believe.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Wasn't Marcus Camby the #1 pick in 1996 or was he #2 that year?

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

Good analysis, although I'm not sure that Randle gives a darn how many titles either school has. He wants to know how he will be plugged in, how much freedom he will have and what chance the team has at winning the 2014 national title.

I think the emergence of the Morris twins this year with the Suns is really helping Self recruit. They are basically starting and averaging 10 points.

Milhawkee 1 year, 5 months ago

"Self hasn't produced a real star on the next level either."

Doesn't Deron Williams count?

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

Crap, I really hope that isn't true. Cheatipari is probably spreading that rumor to make him feel like now he has to commit to UK. I absolutely hate Cheatipari.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 5 months ago

anyway you could provide a link or a name of the blogger?

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

KD, you forgot to include your sign in credentials.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Several points points worth mentioning regarding Julius.

1] For what it's worth [and it may mean nothing at all], he has struck up a strong twitter relationship with the incoming KU Idaho twins, Dakota and Dylan Gonzalez.

2] Let's not forget one very important word..."HUDY".

3] Bill Self is a #1 Seed and John Calipari is not.

4] Cal did himself no favors with the mothers of recruits when he threw this season's players under the bus.

5] Julius is not afraid of a challenge but at UK, it will be for playing time...for Kansas it will be the pressure of being the "Main Man." Something tells me JR would more than welcome that challenge at Kansas.!!

6] Ashley Judd vs Olivia Wilde....who would you rather have at courtside??

FarSideHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Well technically, Cal has a #1 seed as well (in fact, the #1 overall seed)...but in that other tournament.

wow, that felt good to write!

FarSideHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Just checked out the Gonzalez twins, and, ahem, I can see why that is your #1 point. :)

Kent Richardson 1 year, 5 months ago

The "Terrible Two's " "Twinzilla" "The Beautiful Beast" "Rock and Hawk". "Brazil 66"

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

If JR wants to learn an unselfish, team first game at his next level, and beyond doubt be part of a program with consistant deep NCAA tourney voyages each & every year and superior coaches with proven results, then there is one clear choice. If not, then he needs to go to UK, NCS, or somewhere other than Kansas. The choice is such of a OAD kid, and the potential allure of the big money beyond. The older anyone, even young adults becomes, you realize your best years by far are usually those which fly by the fastest. Even the incomparable General Patton once said,"Victory is fleeting." So remember these things as you make your decision JR, fully enjoy your youth while & where you can, it's gone before you even know it.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 5 months ago

Actually Global I remember the General Patton quote differently. In the movie, a voiceover (George C Scott) described a Roman General returning home in his chariot at the head of a large parade to honor his victory. The crowd chanted his name and cheered him on as he passed. Standing behind the General on the chariot was a slave who whispered in the General's ear; "All glory, is fleeting."

No doubt Randle will have a great NBA career. I also believe where ever he lands, he will always look back at his college year/years as very special, and very fun!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank Heaven for "Horrywood." -1941.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 5 months ago

"Thank Heaven For Tall Twin Girls." Maurice Chevalier 1961

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anyone know when we would play (time and channel) on Sun? Assuming we win Friday of course. I'll be out of town and on the road Sun evening and I'd like to be able to set my DVR. Thanks for any help!

colreader 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anybody know if the team will stay in Lawrence or in KC this weekend?

yellowjeep 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd put money on them staying in KC.

John Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

Two reasons: Less access for outside distraction; Less media focus on "home court" atmosphere.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 5 months ago

They will stay in KC. Practice on Thursday evening, the late game on Friday, and hopefully practice on Saturday and then a game Sunday. I would put money on them staying at the Marriott again. Self isn't the most superstitious guy, but he has admitted to some routines.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Every one overlooks possithe most important probable driver in randle's decision making. It is what I now call the X driver.

The X driver is the driver that forces a player to wait weeks or months after his last visit to decide.

What goes on.

It's almost like they are weighing increasing bids in an auction game.

But what could the increasing bids, since no one cheats by giving cash?

Hypothesis: the player is fielding competing agency contract terms and benefits to be triggered by the players eventual jump. These could be complicated enough to take weeks to analyze.

Just a thought.

Let's root for old agency u Sis boom bah!

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Every one overlooks possibly the most important driver in randle's decision making. It is what I now call the X driver.

What goes on.

It's almost like they are weighing increasing bids in an auction game.

But what could be the increasing bids, since no one cheats by giving cash?

Just a thought.

Let's root for old agency u Sis boom bah!

hornjo 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't see TCU or Baylor on the schedule. At least the scheduler's have a sense of humor. -- In bracket, Williams (sound familiar), VCU did not we not lose to before somewhere, Michigan did not we play last year...Confidence my friends... I wonder what Georgia is like @ this time of the year? Don't you! No Misery (Mizzou) or Bucknell on schedule either! This year parity is here. Get hot Jayhawks & hopefully have no girlfriend problems?....

ROCK CHALK!

Phoggy_Jah_Hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Anybody know if they will sign stuff at all? Like to take my boy down to watch and get some Herbie Hancocks.

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

I saw Herbie at Ralph Gaines Landmark Restaurant in Union Station on the Headhunters tour. He came to every table after the first set, introduced himself and shook hands. What a great show ! (That was before driver's licenses had pictures - I had to slouch when the door guy checked my height against that on my friend's license.)

largest-selling jazz album of all time

largest-selling jazz album of all time by nostradavid