Originally published March 17, 2013 at 05:14p.m., updated March 18, 2013 at 12:18a.m.

KU earns No. 1 seed in South region

Kansas players make their way out of a NCAA selection show watch party at the fieldhouse on Sunday, March 17, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. From left are Kevin Young, Perry Ellis, Niko Roberts, Evan Manning, Travis Releford and Christian Garrett. Kansas was selected as the number 1 seed in the South Regional and will play Western Kentucky in the field of 64 on Friday in Kansas City.

Tickets

As of 7 p.m. Sunday, there still were limited single tickets available to the second and third rounds in Kansas City, Mo., through Sprint Center's website and also tickets available at KU's next potential site in Arlington, Texas, through Ticketmaster.

Reader poll

What do you think of KU's draw in the NCAA Tournament?

• Really easy 1% 44 votes
  • Somewhat easy 1% 78 votes
  • Not easy or hard 8% 356 votes
  • Somewhat hard 40% 1623 votes
  • Really hard 46% 1860 votes
  • Undecided 1% 54 votes

4015 total votes.

Kansas University’s basketball team — the same team that lost three consecutive games in early February — on Sunday was awarded a No. 1 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

“We’re the No. 2 overall seed in the tournament — the No. 2 overall seed. Who would have ever thought that would be the case with this team?” KU coach Bill Self said enthusiastically after learning his Jayhawks (29-5) had been awarded the No. 1 seed in the South Regional and will meet Western Kentucky (20-15) in a first-round NCAA Tournament contest approximately 8:50 p.m. Friday in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I never thought six weeks ago this team would be where it is,” added Self, whose team was awarded the second of the No. 1 seeds behind Louisville, with Indiana and Gonzaga trailing the Jayhawks. “We had nothing going on. We had no personality, no bounce. We were duds, maybe feeling a little sorry for ourselves, questioning ourselves, lost a little confidence. Fortunately when they got it back they got it back in a big way.”

KU not only won its ninth-straight Big 12 regular-season title, but took the conference tournament crown. The players, who watched the Selection Show in KU’s Naismith Room, were shown applauding when CBS revealed the Jayhawks had earned a No. 1 for the 11th time in school history and first time since 2011.

The winner of KU-WKU will meet North Carolina or Villanova on Sunday, with Michigan, Georgetown and Florida also in the region.

“They were happy,” Self said of his players. “I told them we were probably going to be 50/50 a 1 or 2. I don’t think the committee did us any favors. Obviously it’s a tough bracket. The so-called experts would probably say arguably this is the toughest bracket of the four. We’re excited about it. We’re certainly happy to be a 1 seed. Now the goal is not to be a 1 seed. The goal is to go play like a 1 seed.”

The Jayhawks were elated to be accorded a top seed in the South, which culminates with Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games to be played in Dallas.

“(We’re) definitely excited,” senior point guard Elijah Johnson said. “Just to hear someone call you as a No. 1 means you have been one of the best-performing teams around. It’s an honor to be a No. 1 seed regardless of how you use it. Most teams tend to use it as an advantage. That’s what we plan on doing instead of thinking we’ve got a title. We just want to show why we are a No. 1 seed.”

Noted senior center Jeff Withey: “We’re excited to be a No. 1 seed. It’s not going to be easy at all. We’ve got to look at everything as a two-day tournament almost. We don’t know too much about Western Kentucky right now. We’re excited to be playing against them. We know we are going to get everybody’s best shot. They are on a roll right now after winning their (Sun Belt) tournament. I’m sure they will come in feeling really confident. We have to take them serious and give everything we’ve got.”

Former KU coach Roy Williams’ North Carolina Tar Heels (24-10) loom as a possible second-round foe if the Heels can get past Villanova (20-13) at 6:20 p.m. Friday.

KU beat Williams’ Tar Heels in the 2008 Final Four and 2012 regional finals.

“Who knows if that will happen, if it’ll play out that way. I know we are focused on Western Kentucky,” Self said. “If it goes in that direction and we both win a game, I’m sure Kansas City will have a little interest in that one based on the past. We know if it does happen we’ll be playing a great team.”

Williams told his school’s official website that he was “disappointed” the ACC had just four teams reach the tournament: No. 2 seeds in Duke and Miami and No. 8s in Carolina and N.C. State.

“I was surprised, not just surprised but disappointed for our league,” Williams said. “You look around ... some other teams in our league I think deserve to be in. It shows almost no respect to have two 2s and the next two teams to be 8s. To me that’s disappointing. It really is. The bottom line is that’s what happened. Now you’ve got to go play.”

Big 12 represented: Self on the Big 12 getting five teams (KU, K-State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State) in the tourney: “I didn’t think we had a chance at six. I thought Baylor would have to make some hay in the tournament to get to six. I think our league did pretty well. Any time you get 50 percent of the teams in, you are probably having a pretty good year.”

A No. 16 seed has never beaten a 1: “It will happen eventually,” Self said. “Certainly we don’t want that to happen. I’ll pull for all the 1 seeds to make sure that doesn’t happen this year if I need to do that. ... There will be a lot of mild upsets in this tournament,” he added because of increased parity.

They know each other: Western Kentucky coach Ray Harper and KU coach Self are friends.

“He is one of the best coaches in America,” Harper told the Bowling Green Daily News. “When I was the coach at Oklahoma City (University), we dealt with each other a lot. Actually had one of his kids that worked out with us in the summer (OKC native Darnell Jackson). His grandmother had been sick. We let him stay in Oklahoma City for the summer, and we worked him out, and he was projected to be a backup, and he ended up as their starting center, and they won the national championship, and he ended up being a (second-round) draft pick.”

Tapes: Self said KU already had a batch of tape on Western Kentucky thanks to modern technology. KU has tape of all major-college teams available on its computer system.

More on game time: KU’s game on Friday will start approximately 8:50 p.m., or 30 minutes after a 6:20 p.m. contest between Villanova and North Carolina.

Perfection: KU is one of three teams with perfect APR scores and 100 percent graduation rates of the 68 teams in the tournament, NCAA Research tweeted on Sunday. Notre Dame and Belmont are the others. Six teams in the tourney have perfect APRs: KU, Notre Dame, Belmont, Butler, Memphis and Michigan. Eleven teams have 100 percent graduation rates: KU, Belmont, Bucknell, Duke, Davidson, Harvard, Illinois, Pacific, Notre Dame, Villanova and Western Kentucky.

Here are all the seeds in the South region:

1. Kansas
  11. Minnesota
  12. Akron
  13. South Dakota State
  14. Northwestern State
  15. Florida Gulf Coast
  16. Western Kentucky

Comments

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 1 year, 1 month ago

Playing VCU is like me betting all my money in a poker game. If we lose to them again I am devastated. If we win and get revenge I will be happy.

Justin Millsap 1 year, 1 month ago

Is it not amazing that the top two overall seeds in the NCAA tournament BOTH had a three game losing streak during the regular season?

I doubt that has ever happened before, but I may never know the answer as I am far too lazy to do the research.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 1 month ago

I am asking for help from JAYHAWK NATION. Please post, say, write, think so it becomes as natural as taking a breath, second nature.

Jayhawks, "take care of the ball and you can win it all". No matter where you are or what your doing make it part of everything in your life. Against Mich.st the Hawks had 24 to's and lost by 3. This team is capable of being one of the greatest example's of traditional college student athletic's in history. They have struggled with turnover's all year. If you think this is a pathetic, I'm asking for some grace here. If your on board with it please get it going. Thanks monk RCJH

Steve Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

don't like playing the friday LATE game, #1 seed should get the extra 2-3 hours of rest before Sunday showdown.

Also, the play in games are not and never will be round 1, they are round A or play in not round one.

Take the midnight train to Georgia, Atlanta final four.

If we get Tar heels, Kemper should be a rock chalk chant sunday afternoon, what sweet music.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

3 stages of the year......one where they started off 19-1, then 0-3, and now again 10-1.

Looking more and more and more like a mid-season hiccup. Only ones that I wouldn't be confident in picking them over would be Indiana, Duke or Louisville.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 1 month ago

So proud of the way you came out of the three game loss. One setback with Baylor and that was it. FANTASTIC Tourney in KC. Way to dominate and get that one seed.

You have all the talent and experience you need to get it done. RCJH.

Justin Lindsley 1 year, 1 month ago

Everyone has to come out in attack mode! I'm talking to you BMac, Ghost, and Withey especially. No excuses! Give it everything you have, leave nothing on the court. If we play aggressive, then we can make a deep run for sure. If we come out timid and not "into" it at the start we/I will have more free time the next couple of weeks. Rock Chalk! make us proud!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 1 month ago

Ladies & Gentlemen please place your tray's in the upright position, fasten your seat belts and enjoy the flight. Jayhawks, how did you get here? You worked your a%$*# off through adversity, blood and sweat. One moment at a time, and please remember, "take care of the ball and you can win it all". RCJH KAAAAAUOOOOOO! Brought to you by "AIR BALL CARE". There is a victory in every flight.

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

To advance in the tournament you have to make Freethrows.

Secondly control your turnovers.

Third rebound.

You do these three things along with defense and putting the ball through the net you will win and play again.

William Blake 1 year, 1 month ago

If I was Coach Self I'd sit my team down in front of a TV and show them the 30-for-30 show "Survive and Advance."

I don't think I've ever seen a more compelling basketball story than that. I remember when NC State played giant-killer and hung losses on all those players that turned out later to dominate the NBA... Worthy, Jordan, Sampson, Olajuwon, Drexler....

That program not only shows what it takes to win it all, it also shows how being a "favorite" is over-rated in March.

The team that wants it most, wins.... period.

...and you won't want it more if you don't start by believing (sincerely) that you can do it!

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 1 month ago

KState beat Florida, I think we can too.

Michigan, I'm worried about.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I would argue that San Diego State & North Carolina should be flipped. SDSU a 7 & UNC an 8?!?!?! Um, didn't SDSU only make it to the Semis in the MWC Tourney & UNC the Finals in the ACC too - in terms of recent play even?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Kind of funny, but honestly last night, I am betting that 68 teams were saying they had the toughest route to the championship and that the NCAA Selection Committee screwed them!!

THAT is the true definition of parity!! After all, the fairest contract in the world is when no one is entirely happy. :)

Gil Ek 1 year, 1 month ago

Read last night somewhere (can't find it now) that this is like KU's 4th #1 seed in seven years or something. Pretty impressive. Why is it everytime I see a photo of Weber screaming at the ref"s or his players, it looks like someone getting their first colonoscopy without sedation?

4jhawks4ku 1 year, 1 month ago

Who's in charge of supplying Roy's Jayhawk stickers?

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

Well what is there to say that hasn't been said yet?

So I will keep is simple and poignant.

Go out and play KU basketball. Everything else will take care of itself.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

I think Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe will use the "no point guard" talk as motivation this tournament. The embarrassing between Will Spradling's legs move by EJ, with the tear drop finish, and the thread the needle pass by Tharpe between 3 KSU defenders serves notice. You are right Jay Bilas and the rest of the talking heads, KU does not have a point guard, they have two!

BearfishRob 1 year, 1 month ago

I think the wins over Iowa State and K-State are exactly what this team needed. A lot of the teams on our path to the final four play small ball and usually we don't have much experience against that style going into the tourney. So if the guy with no lips and coaches K-State is good for one thing, its getting us ready for teams that play small ball.

Jim Roth 1 year, 1 month ago

Should I know what APR stands for? I had to look it up. Isn't there a rule about defining acronyms and initialisms in published articles?

arch007bak 1 year, 1 month ago

Not a lot of love for KU's chances to even make the Final 4...at least from ESPN's talking heads.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

I like KU's bracket, it may not have the weakest seeds in it, but it is full of power 6 teams which KU hasn't historically had as many issues with in regards to fluke losses. UNC is an interesting match up should it happen, but KU is flat out better than UNC. I'm not overly convinced VCU makes it past Akron to be perfectly honest. Florida has been inconsistent of late so I don't think they make it to the Elite 8. Georgetown can slow the game to a grind and play it in the 50's which is always dangerous because you can never get a safe lead on them. I do think KU should reach the Final Four this year and I think this team is also more than capable of winning the national title this year.

wavingthewheatinOH 1 year, 1 month ago

What’s one of the differences between the Baylor game and the K-State game? ENTHUSIASM. If we go retro for minute, we can look at what Dale Carnegie had to say about this little recognized secret to success: He said, “I don’t know of anything in the world that will do more for you than enthusiasm.” We’ve got the ability and the skills, so let’s get an infusion of ENTHUSIASM, Hawks, and kick some a_ _!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

Will the distractions associated with playing this close to home be detrimental to the Hawks? Would it be better to not be playing somewhere so close to home?

Looking at the guys picks on espn and it looks like nobody is picking Kansas. More motivation.

If Tharp and EJ perform and avoid the TO's 'in the moments' then this team has the best chance at cutting the nets down in my opinion.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

It's official. Kentucky is a #1 seed in the NIT! Baylor is a #2 seed. I guess the squid gets to pick up a few cheap wins to pad his record.

Jim Pendleton 1 year, 1 month ago

First, let's not get overly concerned about what time the game is Friday. It's 9:40 Sun nite, I haven't seen times announced yet, but I can pretty much assure you we will be playing Friday night, and probably the 2nd game. The fact that UNC is opposite us practically assures these games will be in prime time. The K-State side of the games doesn't scream prime time coverage to me.

Second point, no guarantee that start time for Sunday is early or even during the day. With more networks involved in the tourney, we could play later that day. In fact the last two years, we have played at 7:30 or 8 Sunday night. I remember getting home from Tulsa two years ago after 3am.

Let's play whoever they put in front of us, and at whatever time. Rock Chalk!!

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 1 year, 1 month ago

"I was driving in from Cleveland, and I had some thouhts. Not jokes, just thoughts."

Not only are there a ton of land mines in this bracket, there seems to be a back-story with quite a few of them. NC (Roy); Villanova (Jay Wright and "Watch this"); VCU (rematch); Michigan and Florida (both projected as #1 seeds five weeks ago); SDSU (mid-major monster)...

The possible UNC matchup is a taylor-made upset. UNC is playing small ball now. If KU were to face them, they may be the closest thing to Iowa State the fellas would face. If the matchup were to materialize, it'd be good to pick up two in the all-time wins column, but it'd be better if Villanova walks them back to their hotel.

Tubby smith got demolished by KU twice while at UK. I'm sure he'd love to have a shot at redemption.

If the SEC's #2 seed didn't make the tournament, how in the hell did anyone ther than Ole Miss (tourney champ) and Florida make the field?

The weakest #1 got the weakest bracket. IMHO. I think K-State can make a long run and (as a Kansas) I hope they do

My prediction: high drama and sketchy ratings. If upsets are bad for ratings (as I've read), the ad execs better have drawn up some contingencies

How the hell do you book flights to "North Texas"?

I'll bet Roy's boys are practicing against the Triangle-and-two as week speak.

I'll bet Jay Wright is studying every lob play KU has run this year.

Lastly, I'm shocked the selection committee didn't put the bushwackers in our bracket. Gotta admit, I lost that bet.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

I really like the Adidas black (fleece???) tops with the blue piping but I cannot seem to find them anywhere for sale. Does anyone know if they are available or if they are a limited edition just for the BBall team?

Chad Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

As a gopher and Ku fan, I'm intrigued by the remote possibility that the gophers and ku could meet in an elite 8 game. I don't know what I would do, that would be nuts. I don't think Gophers will get there, but it'd be really fun to watch!

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

The committee obviously is hoping for an early KU exit. There is no guarantee KU will play Carolina. Super Nova could be just as difficult. If KU can make it past the second round I believe KU can go all the way. VCU or Michigan will not sneak-up on us this time.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 1 month ago

You know, the comments about KU's recruiting are valid. UK gets the absolutely best in the nation and now they're in the NIT. We played them last year in the title game with a cast of all non-McDonalds players and are again a #1 seed with a similar lineup. Self is a genius at finding the right kind of talent and also working with whatever talent he ends up getting in any given year.

phins13td 1 year, 1 month ago

When will the game time be announced?

Steve Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

As #1 seed we should not have to play late game Friday night, turn around for early game on Sunday.

Glad we are in KC. Let us give Roy one more blast of the chant, he knows it so very well.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

I for one hope we get VCU again. It would provide some minor closure, or in the event of catastrophe, some horrific comedy.

Janet Scott 1 year, 1 month ago

Bruce Weber was interviewed on the Oprah Channel tonight by Joyce Bahar, where she asked him if his team inhaling manure fumes at KSU all year will have any lingering negative effect on them. Bruce responded by replying, "What fumes?"; and then he passed out (post med report: lingering effect of too many manure fumes).

brooksmd 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey Wissox wanna carpool to KC? I have family in Topeka. Or we can carpool to Dallas. J/K Thought your Badgers were gonna do it again today.

Sean Edmiston 1 year, 1 month ago

Missouri is the biggest reach in this field. Their non-con (as well as their conference) schedule is weak and they have some losses against not great teams.

Also, when we talk about the loss to TCU this year, remember they are coached by a man that took a 4-seed to the Final 4 once. So...

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

We must beat Western Kentucky. I am not really worried about anything else. All of the what may happen with this team or that team means nothing to me. It's win or go home, survive and advance. Go KU!!

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Watch them give us the very last damn time slot on a Friday again. Why can't we ever play early on a Thursday?

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone else notice a similarity between the KU team's black tops and small Jayhawk emblem, and the black sweater and small Jayhawk emblem Roy wore back in 2008?

Kind of interesting, ironic and coincidental echo given that UNC is in our bracket. :-)

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm actually feeling good about KU/UNC in the round of 32. Ole' Roy seems to have a hard time getting his heart into defeating a team he coached for 15 seasons. On top of which, we're in the Sprint Center, and we've prepared for this match up all year. Playing ISU 3 times gives us exactly what we need to beat UNC. The good news is that they aren't likely to be as trigger happy as ISU from deep, so we should be able to funnel them to W for the block party. They're not a very long team and they don't rebound well. Also, I like the way that W matches up with McAdoo. McAdoo can't really post him up and isn't that good on the drive. As long as our defensive rotations are solid, we'll be in good shape.

I look at it this way, defensively, we're like a better version of Miami and they were unable to topple them in two tries. Offensively, we like to get out in transition just as much as they do and we're just as dangerous on the break. In a game that's going to be decided on the defensive end, we've got the horses. It's not a sure thing cause it's never a sure thing, but I like the look of it. In fact, with the exception of VCU, I think we match up favorably with most of the teams in our bracket. I look forward to the possibility of a Georgetown/KU Elite Eight.

Jim Pendleton 1 year, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Mom - the teams playing in the first four are split up as the last four seeded automatic bids, and the last four seeded at-larges. So those last four automatic seeds play each other with the winners advancing to play a one seed in the second round.

Those other two play in games involve the lowest seeded at-large teams, although there can be some exceptions to this. This year those four teams included two 13 seeds and two 11 seeds. The 13's play each other (winner advances to play a 4 seed) and the 11's play each other (winner advances to play a 6 seed).

There is an exception that comes into play with the at-larges. These games have to involve teams of the same seed, in this case 13's and 11's. California is a 12 seed and an at-large. However, since there was no other 12 seed at-large team, the first round game has to be with the 11 seeds, since that is where the multiple at-large seeds lie. There is also a factor in that some teams have to be moved a line up or down on the seed line to avoid possible early round games with teams in their own conference. The selection committee chair announced that California was one of those teams, so that is another reason not to read into them not playing the first early round game.

It can be a little complicated, but they pair the final at large teams and the final automatic teams so you have half of both in the first early round.

One more tidbit, and I had to check the bracket to confirm. There are no teams from the state of Texas in the tourney. Think of the number of teams and leagues that respresents. Ironic, considering Austin is a first weekend site, and Arlington is a regional site. Guessing not many hoops fans from Texas attending the next two weeks.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

Once again the state of Kansas send all its Division 1 teams to the Big Dance. No other state with 3 or more Division 1 schools has done this.

Joel Thomas 1 year, 1 month ago

Intriguing bracket. I think the top half is manageable. VCU - last time the team was too cocky; our primary players/leaders this year are tougher IMO. Michigan - plays small and likes to shoot, but they played better earlier in the season vs late. Bottom is tough, if it chalk prevails. Computers love Florida; Georgetown has been playing well and they slow it down, shrinking margin of error.

jaycon11 1 year, 1 month ago

It's a tough bracket, but I don't want a cakewalk. And a potential rematch with VCU won't consist of 1 day to prepare. There are good teams in the bracket like Michigan which, if they advance, will give our fan base a good indicator of how strong our team is this year.

Can the games begin tomorrow?

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

Filled out my brackets - Got Louisville vs. Kansas State and Kansas vs. Miami for the Final Four, with Kansas beating Louisville for the national title.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 1 month ago

Two other regions might be tougher overall but no 1 seed has to go through what we do. 1st round, we should win big. This is my bracket I just did on ESPN for KU.

2nd round UNC will play us. We are 2-0 against Roy. I never like the third game. Plus they are a great match up for us. They can shoot and have great athletes. Perry might get some good PT in this game. Withey could dominate. If we don't play through Withey, we are going home.

3rd round. I have Michigan. That is another very tough draw. Trey Burke and Tim Hardway are great offensive players. Robinson and McGary are studs. They have a no name 4 like us. They could easily win. But I think Ben powers us to victory.

Elite 8. Georgetown. I actually think the match up favors us. They are a scrappy team with a star. They are a good defensive team with a solid offense. Which is what people say about us. You slow down Otto Porter, you win.

Final four. Indiana. I think this is a game where we win with the play of our point guards. Zeller with struggle against Jeff. Wafford will be a tough guard on offense which will mean KY will be glued to him. Olapido will give us fits. luckily Jeff will be there. But Hulls their pg is not a distributor or great defender. He shoots very will but EJ and Naddir should have their way with him on offense. Tracking him on D might be up to Rel.

Champ game: Michigan State. We all watched the Michigan State team. Bill likes revenge. We are much better then that game in November. Gary Harris shouldn't light us up that bad again. With the improvement of Ben, Naddir and Perry, we should be to much for them to handle. They have good skilled offense post players. But they are heavy, so making them run will benefit us. Look for Perry to shine.

Final note: I was extremely biased in this bracket. Every single game will be within 10 points and my gut tells me UNC will beat us. But I have brain that doesn't allow me to pick anyone else but Kansas to win every Title.

Since79 1 year, 1 month ago

<----- My son already has his game face on. Can't wait til Friday RCJH!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

Nova has already beaten Louisville, Syracuse and Georgetown...UNC may be no match.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

South is easily the toughest followed by: Midwest, East, and West.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 1 month ago

UNC is hot but Self owns them. Need the good defense to show up for that one.

dazedandconfused 1 year, 1 month ago

Just read Monk's idea on the "Just Take Care of the Ball, and we'll Win it All! Absolutely Brilliant - This needs to go Viral!

Rockchalk_Mom 1 year, 1 month ago

Could someone explain how the Round #1, or play-in games are chosen? Why would they be picked last, and then enter the bracket higher than other teams, and then NOT play the #1 seeds in each region? 4 games, 2 winners enter at 16, one enters as a #13 seed and the other #11. I have never how this is decided. Help anyone?

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 1 month ago

our bracket is the toughest....if not, it's tied for the Midwest. the SEC champ, the Big East champ, and one of the top teams from the Big 10.... a team ranked #1 during the year, are the other three top seeds.

plus, throw in UNC as an 8, and VCU as a 5....very, very tough.

i don't fear playing UNC and their style....Bill Self seems to have Roy's number. but we just beat them last year, and there are kids who have a lot of pride under Roy....you know he'll have them sky high. he'll complain and moan, about how all the fans will be for KU in Kansas City....it will be a real sob fest, poor 'ol Roy.

the good news? we will have no problem being motivated ourselves to play any of these schools.....Michigan/VCU or UNC/Villanova.....all name schools, and teams that we have just played recently in the tourney.

K-State has to like their seed...a possible revenge game vs. Gonzaga? they have to like that....even though they'll be out in their neck of the woods, if they do play them.

Oregon/Okla St....very tough draw for the Cowboys. Dana can coach.

Go Jayhawks!

Steve Jacob 1 year, 1 month ago

Should be a fun tournament, curious how the Big 10 teams do, they all beat up each other. I predict a 1 seed goes down in the first weekend, and two more before the final four. I like KU in the South, even with a tough match-up this weekend.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

AMAZING!!

Even with the high degree of talent level turn over Kansas has, yet we end up with high-ranked recruiting classes, Top Ten Rankings, Conference Championships, many times Tourney Champs, awarded #1 or #2 NCAA Regional Seeds, Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights year after year...I guess the haters are right.

Bill Self and his coaches can't recruit, train or coach their way out of a paper bag. We poor Jayhawks are just most unfortunate.......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats again, boys.....I need to stop being surprised at what we can do!! :)

Rick Arnoldy 1 year, 1 month ago

Best thing about being the #2 overall? We never have to wear the gawd-awful blue version of the zubas uniforms.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

Why does the committee hate us so much?

GreatJake 1 year, 1 month ago

Well the small audience teams of the Big 12 did well - KU, KSU, ISU, OK and OSU -

What happened to Texas?????????

Congrats to the small audience teams....small audience - big winners

johninkc1 1 year, 1 month ago

West Region looks the easiest. Gonzaga is from what conference? OSU will be thankful for not getting a #1 seed. KSU gets a great bracket as well. KU always gets a tough road. Let's get ready. ROCK CHALK!

kucapcity91 1 year, 1 month ago

We will defiantly have to play our best ball..!. Can't wait to get a shot at unc! that's if they can get pass nova!!

GortHawker 1 year, 1 month ago

Gort is not happy with our region, he's thinking about vaporizing a couple planets to let off some steam.

mejayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

So when EJ nutmegged that ksu player last night, he pretty much punked him. I think that move and the resulting floater were EJ's way of saying farewell to the cats

Travis Shinkle 1 year, 1 month ago

Oops my fault..I was looking at ESPN who apparently has it wrong

Travis Shinkle 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas City is the winner: KU, K-State, Wichita State, Colorado, Illinois, and no Missouri!

seanswind 1 year, 1 month ago

Thoughts:

First Round: Not worried about W KY. 15 losses.

Second Round: UNC is not an 8 seed. I was thinking, based on their ACC Tourn play, they'd be a 6 seed. They don't have anyone to match Withey, but I have a feeling we'll need Perry to step up in this one.

Sweet 16 I'd rather have Michigan. You do not want VCU unless you have solid PG play. Michigan has no inside defense-- but they also have solid guard play, so I don't see VCU getting past 'em. Seems like another tough game for the "2nd overall #1 seed"

Elite 8 Not worried about Fl, Gtown, anyone likely to come out of bottom half of the bracket. FL - SEC sucks. Gtown - Big East is always overrated.

Final Four Likely we play Miami or Indiana - I'd rather have Miami.

Championship I'd really like Louisville or Duke to not be there waiting for us.

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

WTG Coach Self and all of the guys! What a great accomplishment to be a conference champion, tournament champion, and now a #1 seed.

brooksmd 1 year, 1 month ago

Just read where St Louis watched the selection show in a Best Buy in NJ because traffic kept them from getting to the airport in time to watch it there. The team dressed in warmup gear and A-10 champ stuff. Must've been a sight.

KaulHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

My thoughts on the South: UNC is scary (4-guard lineup presents some matchup issues); not worried about Nova (if they can beat UNC). I think SDSU has a shot to beat Michigan (Nate Wolters can ball), but I think VCU makes the sweet 16. I think we beat them, but playing VCU with a turnover-prone EJ frightens me a bit. Michigan (should they get there) is also scary, but they have suspect defense, and I think we 1) destroy them inside and 2) can lock down their perimeter better than they can lock down ours. Playing teams with studs is always worriesome (see Michigan, Georgetown), but I'm not as concerned about Georgetown as we might think...teams with one stud perimeter player (Otto Porter) are less scary to me than teams with a stretch-4 (like a Duke or Gonzaga) because I trust Releford to shut them down. Florida has great tempo-adjusted stats, but struggles in close games (haven't won a single one). They've got a good mix of perimeter and interior, but no studs; I think we could beat them without major difficulties. UCLA has another perimeter stud (Shabazz Muhammud), but they are very young and very inconsistent; they don't scare me too much (I think Minny beats them in the first round, FWIW). Oklahoma, Minnesota, and SDSU are all pretty inconsistent; not too worried about them. I've got KU over Georgetown, with Releford shutting Porter down and no Hoya answer on the interior.

phogphan2000 1 year, 1 month ago

I can't get over how awful these committees are at setting up these brackets. Every year I wonder if they do things on purpose to make sure they get upsets. Biggest misses by these guys are SDSU as a 7 seed, should be an 11 at best, Marquette as a 3, UNC should be a 6 not an 8, Pitt should be a 6 not an 8 maybe even a 5, Oregon as a 12 should be a 7, the list goes on and on, it's so far off base you can't even reconcile it into anything that approaches a logical system. For once I don't necessarily feel like KU got absolutely hosed, but obviously that UNC game is a bit of a jip-job. I'll be pulling big for Villanova. Gottlieb, you know jack squat.

stm62 1 year, 1 month ago

Another #1 seed for the Jayhawks. What a GREAT honor.

brooksmd 1 year, 1 month ago

Surprised the committee didn't put Fizzoo in place of Nova to pull in a full house if it turned out to be the return of the "border war."

Joe Ross 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas has gained 8 wins on Kentucky this year. Hopefully Kansas will make a deep run...

doolindalton 1 year, 1 month ago

Roy back in Kansas City. AFH east. Should be fun.

Sarah Carr 1 year, 1 month ago

How about the Bucknell-Butler matchup??? Who ya' got?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Ok .. we have trouble with teams when they play small?

Enter North Carolina. Roy switched to a small lineup during conference season and UNC has played significantly better.

Also, it appears the "Duke bias" thing is dormant for a season.

bwag 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharpe would need to start at point or play majority of time if we got VCU.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

No Kentucky!

Ohio St. is licking their chops. Gonzaga 1 seed, New Mexico 3 seed, KSt 4, UW 5. I love my Badgers almost as much as the Jayhawks, but OSU was given a gift here.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Didn't want to see VCU on our side of the bracket. Would much rather play against Michigan.

UNC could be dangerous in 2nd round, but I like our style of basketball against Roy's.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Rock_Chalk_25 1 year, 1 month ago

Carolina is playing really well for an 8 seed but I welcome the chance to beat North Carolina for the second straight year in the tourney! I like our draw---I think we have the easiest path of all the #1 seeds. Rockchalk!

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

VCU in our region AGAIN? The committee has a sick sense of humor.

MrPilot 1 year, 1 month ago

Not only a #1 seed, but the 2nd overall #1 seed. Wow!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

Tough 3rd round with Michigan if we and they get that far. UNC in the 2nd round? An intriguing matchup. They made the final 4 as an 8 seed back in 00.

Sae Thirtysix 1 year, 1 month ago

Good bracket - no easy ride, so lets Rock Chalk!!

Ben Kane 1 year, 1 month ago

i think the comittee is trying to tell us something. unc and vcu.