Saturday, March 16, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: KU deserves No. 1 seed over Duke

The Kansas Jayhawks yell in celebration following their 70-54 win over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on Saturday, March 16 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Kansas State

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 70-54 win over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young talk to reporters after the Jayhawks' 70-54 victory over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship game on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-KSU

— Three days in the Sprint Center could not have gone better for perennial college basketball powerhouse Kansas University.

The Jayhawks dominated Texas Tech, Iowa State and Kansas State, winning by an average margin of 19.7 points. In the three second halves, Kansas shot 64 percent overall, 68 percent from three and averaged 52 points.

Tough teams don’t let fatigue set in when playing three games in three days. Kansas is one tough team, all the tougher thanks to March surprise Perry Ellis reminding everyone he was a McDonald’s All-American.

Now we’ll see if the 10-member NCAA Tournament selection committee shows the Big 12, which features three of the top 14 teams in the Associated Press poll, and by extension Kansas earned respect and makes KU a No. 1 seed Sunday.

Not that it’s an easy call. There are no easy seeding calls for this wide-open NCAA Tournament. But if KU’s dominant play in the conference tournament doesn’t move it up a line from where it seemed positioned, then how can anyone view the events as anything but pure money grabs against which the public eventually will revolt?

Let’s suppose Gonzaga, Indiana and Louisville lock down the first three No. 1 seeds and the final comes down to a comparison between blue bloods Duke and Kansas.

I don’t know anything about RPI rankings because I don’t believe in them and never look at them for fear I might become lazy enough to put stock in them. Comparative strength of schedules? Don’t know. Don’t care.

Here’s a better indication: Kansas (29-5) is 6-2 against teams that entered the week ranked in the AP top 25. Duke (27-5) is 3-1.

Kansas plays in a conference that has three teams ranked in the top 25, Duke in one that has two. Kansas finished as regular-season co-champs and won the conference tourney with three blowouts. Duke finished second in the ACC and lost in the quarterfinals of the tourney.

KU went 23-3 against schools not currently ranked, Duke 24-4.

Big advantage Kansas, even though Duke didn’t lose to any team nearly as hapless as TCU.

The selection committee takes into consideration injuries, forgiving to some extent losses played without a key player, and downgrading a team that is without a key player for the tournament.

Duke is 9-4 without Ryan Kelly and 18-1 with him, a factor that improves the Blue Devils’ chances of landing a top seed. But two points need to be made before taking the leap that the Kelly factor enables Duke to leap past Kansas and into the final No. 1 seed. Point No. 1: Duke split two games against Maryland without Kelly and lost to the Terps with him on a neutral floor. Point No. 2: If Duke deserves to be upgraded because Kelly will play in the tournament, then shouldn’t Kansas be upgraded because it’s so much better with an experienced Ellis than a lost Ellis?

Miami (Fla.) didn’t have nearly as impressive a nonconference season as Duke, losing to Florida Gulf Coast, Arizona and Indiana State with a victory against Michigan State, but the Hurricanes edged Duke for the ACC regular-season title and play North Carolina on Sunday in the final of the conference tournament. A victory would give Miami a stronger case than Duke, even if the committee doesn’t see it that way, but not as strong as KU’s case. Again, the Big 12 is a stronger conference than the ACC, regardless of what computer rankings might or might not say about that.

After running his record in Big 12 tourney games to a remarkable 21-4, Kansas coach Bill Self was given the opportunity to lobby for a No. 1 seed. He pretty much passed. He knows what a tough job the committee has and he’s been around long enough to know that it doesn’t do any good anyway.

“I think we’re very deserving to be in the discussion,” Self said. “I think we’ll be one of the for sure five or six most highly ranked teams on the seed line. So I’m not going to make a plea that we should definitely be a 1. We’ve been a 1 and lost in the second round, been a 2 and played in the championship game.”

Self did say it would be a nice reward for his players and an extra thing to mention to recruits. If Kansas lands on the top line, it would do so for the fifth time in seven seasons, a remarkable feat in the one-and-done era and an honor Kansas has earned.

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

For what it's worth, I think Duke's a better team than KU, mainly because of PG play, but KU's more deserving of a 1 seed. What'll be really interesting is who gets the overall #1 seed and if UK gets in.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

UK is out, the UGA and Vandy losses were both very ugly losses at this time of year and I'm saying Gonzaga or Indiana get the overall 1 seed.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Kentucky will be looking to add to their win total in the National Invitation Tournament.

They are 100% out.

Chieflington 1 year, 6 months ago

How do you spell NIT? KENTUCKY

Dee Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the NCAA should allow the team that wins the tournament that year gets an automatic bid to defend there title. Like last year Kentucky would have been the first team to qualify for an automatic bid in this years tournament.

JS82 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's just let everyone in and give everyone a trophy for trying hard. You earn your way in..no other way.

JayCat_67 1 year, 6 months ago

Better yet, they could start defending THEIR title in November, and if they crap out before the NCAA tournament, too flippin' bad.

Roger Tobias 1 year, 6 months ago

This just in. Kentucky, because of being not a team, but a group made up of egos (starting with the head coach), has decided to add the word and letter "I" its name, as follows: KeNITucky.

jhawkln 1 year, 6 months ago

Rock Chalk! I see the letter ATL in the crimson and blue crystal ball! Great job tonight!!!!! 3-0.

April13 1 year, 6 months ago

Another point: KU won three games against the conference co-champs; home, away and neutral. That's pretty solid stuff.

I think KU gets the 1. Not that it really matters - you still have to win 5 games against really good teams and one game that's a walk-over. KU can win it from any seed.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Norfolk St. and Lehigh say hi about that first round game being walk overs.

oldnongrad 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it is very possible that KU doesn't get a 1 seed but one of those that does get a 1 may well wish they had. The way they are playing right now I don't think it makes a lot of difference, especially the way Ellis and Traylor have played in this tournament. Just keep Withey on the floor for his normal minutes and other teams are going to be in a world of hurt. RCJH

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

It looks like Keegan got an early St. Patrick's Day start. Good idea.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 6 months ago

That's hilarious--I was thinking the exact same thing. I usually defend him on here, but this one was very clumsy and tough to follow.

Richard Benson 1 year, 6 months ago

Nine consecutive, uninterrupted years of clear domination.

Yes, three of KU's Big 12 regular-season titles have been shared with another Big 12 contender that achieved the same regular-season record. But in each of the three years KU established that it was KU's year alone by winning the Big 12 post-season tournament (thus ending Big 12 warfare with the best overall, in-league win-loss percentage).

And yes, a couple of times KU won the regular-season outright, but came up short in the post-season tournament. But in both of those two years Big 12 warfare ended (i.e. the tournament ended) with KU owning the best overall, in-league win-loss percentage despite those tounament losses and despite the tournament winners' additional wins.

Nine consecutive, uninterrupted years of clear domination.

God bless this year's players, and godspeed to the seniors (and Ben McLemore).

wyattearp2 1 year, 6 months ago

Boy I sure hope this picture above doesn't go nationwide, Self-boy you can take the kids out of the projects but you can't take THUGGISH look at of the your kids. Slap the Sh*t of them and make them wear their hat correctly.They look like a bunch GOOFS!

Joel Thomas 1 year, 6 months ago

Um, all teams look like this.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Not Louisville; most if not all players were wearing the hats the right way during the net cutting ceremony. Not passing judgment one way or another; just an observation.

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

You sure about that ? Is Siva and the kid flashing three fingers wearing them the right way ? Or what is the right way ? They are kids that just won a championship, give me a break............

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Last time I checked "most" does not mean "all."
Also, did you miss the "Not passing judgment one way or another; just an observation." part?

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

You said "most if not all", so I was just letting you know it wasnt all. The rest of the post was actually directed towards the original post.

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't mean to disappoint you, but this is how folks wear hats these days. Pictures going "national" with KU holding trophies is a good thing.

Richard Benson 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a fun-loving bunch. Goofs goofin' when their day's work is done. The most dramatic thing that jumps right out at you as THE things that separate this bunch from every other mens' college basketball team in America are (1) that the overwhelming majority of KU players will graduate, and (2) every one of them takes their school work seriously. You make it very clear in your reference to "the projects" that you do not like black people, wyattearp2. But most folks like the fun-loving nature of this bunch. Wallow alone in your hate, wyattearp2.

KULA 1 year, 6 months ago

Speaking of thugs--who's this punk?

None

by KULA

Richard Benson 1 year, 6 months ago

Not a real person. A composite 53* percenter dressed up for Halloween.

*53% as calculated by the "arithmetic is sophistry propagated by the lame-stream media" 47%.

LLH 1 year, 6 months ago

Some may think I'm crazy, but I prefer a #2 seed, specifically the highest #2 seed. Don't get me wrong, I think the Hawks deserve a #1, I've just grown to like the whole "underdog, chip on the shoulder, we got slighted, motivation thing". Maybe it's just too fresh in my mind with the magical run last year from the #2 seed spot, but I'll take a one or a two anyday, GREAT, GREAT year thusfar.

JS82 1 year, 6 months ago

My opinion is they are going to be in the region with Duke either as a #1 or #2. I would rather be #1 for bragging purposes but it really matters who we draw through the bracket. Every year I think it looks easy we go out early and the years I think we've had a tough draw we do better.

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

True, and lost in the semis to Maryland in 02 as a 1, but they did make the championship last year as a 2 and also in 03 as a 2 against Syracuse. Im happy with either tbo.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 6 months ago

But Kansas was a six seed when they won it all in 88.

LLH 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, cuz Withey grew up in the "hood" of San Diego. C'mon bro lighten up, MOST youngsters wear their caps like that in these types of celebrations now days. It may not be the way you and I do it, or prefer it, but they DID just win a title. Let them have their fun. I don't think a backwards hat correlates to "thug" in any way, shape, or form.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 6 months ago

Dear 2013 Kansas Jayhawks, congratulations. What a season, ups, downs, blow outs and blow ups. Now with the arrival of "Silent Silk" Mr.Perry Ellis, all the pieces are in place. A 1 or a 2 seed, HCBS isn't worried about it, we saw last year what can happen to a team that gets too wrapped up in seedings. That beautiful 2-15 nightmare of a team that will remain nameless.

Jayhawks, stay focused, don't take a single possession for granted. You are part

of another miracle run and Jayhawk nation is so grateful for the ride that your taking us on. Please, TAKE CARE OF THE BALL, AND YOU CAN WIN IT ALL! RCJH! KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUOOOOOOOOOOOOO! waiving wheat

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

Take Care Of The Ball, And You Can Win It All! I'm feeling that!

akgjenkintown 1 year, 6 months ago

+1000. But KU has not shown the capable of doing so. EJ, six turnovers and some were horrendous leading to layups by KSU and lost points on fast break opportunities. I tallied 8 points alone on layups by KSU due to turnovers by KU's guards. This has been a trend that has not improved much over the season. This year Naadir is the calming influence (Elijah had that roll last year when Taylor went rouge) but I was on the edge of my seat each time KSU pressed. Match ups in the NCAA will dictate how far KU advances and I just hope the guard play can hold up, because opposing teams with great guards will press KU to death.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

If the statistic turnovers per minute ratio existed, and if Tharpe's and Johnson's TOs were compared, Tharpe's would be much better, but I don't think we can win it all without EJ.

Lawkan 1 year, 6 months ago

Most of Miami's losses came short handed due to injuries as well. So really if Miami wins their tournament they should be seeded higher than Duke.

Pepe 1 year, 6 months ago

This is correct. Miami clobbered Duke at home and almost beat them at Duke. Duke should not be a #1 seed. Both Miami (assuming a win today) and KU deserve to be seeded higher than Duke.

LLH 1 year, 6 months ago

Love the nickname for Perry there monkee. My daughter and I started calling him " Agent P " this week, after the character on Phineas and Ferb. I know, I know, probably lame, but hey, I'm a father first and foremost.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not a dad. Anything that a young'n comes up with, art, nicknames is always the best. Ahhh, another generation of Hawk fan. "AGENT P" aka silent silk. GB you and your family. (I don't think it's lame)

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

According to most rating services, the Big12 is ranked 3 and the ACC 4 in basketball. KU won the regular and post season tournament in the higher ranked and tougher Big 12 and Duke won neither in a lower ranked conference. Case closed.

WalktheTalkJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

KU had 15 wins and 3 losses against the rpi top 50 -- well more wins than any other school.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

That's the best statistic of all.

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

1 or 2 doesnt really matter much. KU has more rpi top 50 wins than any team in the country, but then again they have the worst loss (TCU) of all the teams vying for 1 seeds. Just depends how you look at it. I wouldnt mind if they get a 2, a little less pressure and a chip on their shoulder. Being the top 2 seed they would play in the same regional as the worst 1 seed I do believe. Rock Chalk !!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Why do any of you thjink that logic, overwhelming stats, shining qualifications and fairness have anything to do with DUKE????

They will get a number one seed because the Dookies mean ratings, BAAAABBBYYY!!!!!

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Kansas wont make a number one seed this year, but number 2 is not terrible considering everything. We still get to play close to home, and play on the court will speak for itself no matter what the seeding is. Especially this year, when the field is wide open, the quality of teams youre going to face is not going to be a big issue...because any of them can jump up to bite you and any of them have an equal chance of pulling a major disappearing act. Kansas wont get a number one seed because its RPI is the weakest of anyones in the top ten except for Georgetown, and its strength of schedule is the weakest in the same group except for Gonzaga's, which is lower. Recent play, which the selection committee does factor in, is not limited to the conference tournament, and in that regard we have to answer for the STYLE of loss to Baylor. But like I said, a 2 seed is nothing to apologize for and Kansas has just as good a shot with a two seed this year as it would if it were a 1.

VaJay 1 year, 6 months ago

Uhhhhh Keegs - Duke's record can't be 3-0 vs. top 25 teams - they got hammered on the road against Miami who are still top ten, right??? That would make it 3-1 I believe.

I agree with the premise though. KU will get a deserved #1 seed. I see a final four for this team, and after that... a great shot at a title!

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't think Miami was ranked at the time they blew Duke out though and that's usually how that stat is kept track of.

VaJay 1 year, 6 months ago

Interestingly, the Sagarin rankings in USA Today show Duke has a 6-2 record vs. their top 25, so I guess you can find numbers you're looking for anywhere you want, depending on where you look!

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 6 months ago

1 or #2 no matter, just win baby.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I think if Kansas supplants one team from the number 1 line, it's Indiana. Not Duke. But I dont see that happening either.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 6 months ago

No, I think the winner of the Big 10 gets cut a lot of slack this year considering how insanely good that conference is. At least Indiana got to their conference semifinal, which is more than Duke did.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, but it's not the conference thats the final determination. I mean FIRST the committee has to look at individual teams' strength of schedule. So despite the fact that Indiana was in the most powerful conference, Duke, New Mexico, Louisville, Miami, and Michigan State all top ten RPI teams which have higher strength of schedules than Indiana.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 6 months ago

That's a fair point. From everything I've read and heard, Indiana is as close to a lock for a #1 as anyone in the country, but they're obviously far from unbeatable.

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

If Miami wins the ACC they could get a 1 seed.

Kansas could still get a 1 seed too.

I don't believe the hype that Duke is all that great. If they aren't hitting 3's, just like ISU, they aren't winning games. The "pay-back" game Kelly's first back he had to go off for them to win on their home court or they would have lost that. Their D isn't great either. Plumlee flops more than a fish out of water on both sides of the ball, he's a great dunker, but his range is as limited as Withey's.

Look I know ESPN sells Duke hard, and DukieV helps feed that fire, but watch them play. They don't make a lot of passes, it's a lot of one on ones. Driving the lane and hope that the bigs come off Plumlee to bail out the driver, if not they kick it out to the wing, again relying on the 3 pt shot. If it's not falling, they are a doomed team. They are 18-1 with Ryan Kelly, and they are supposed to be the best team in the country, yet the best team would have someone to relieve him so he doesn't have to do it all. Curry can get hot, but just let him keep shooting, the laws of average will even out and he will go cold, real fast. DOn't watch the highlights, watch the game and you will notice they aren't as good as ESPN makes them out to be. Indiana would beat them. KU would beat them. Ohio St could beat them. Iowa st spreading the ball out on a night like they had in AMes vs KU would beat them. Plumlee can't guard out on the arc.

KU might get a 2 seed and it's because of one game this year. TCU. And I get that and I am OK with that, not the loss to TCU, but the reason for the 2 seed. Ku deserves it over Duke on how they finished the season, and not on the thought of what they could do if they had all their players.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 6 months ago

Actually for what it's worth, Duke did beat Ohio State -- at Durham anyway. They probably are overrated, but let's not underrate them either -- if they get hot, they could certainly beat Kansas in the right circumstances.

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

KU beat Ohio State at Ohio State, so whats your point ?

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 6 months ago

I think mine was pretty clear. Not sure what yours is.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm much more interested in who's our 8 or 7 seed than who's on the other side of the bracket.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 6 months ago

You are exactly right. Number 1 or 2 seed makes no difference at all. The tourney is all about matchups. I just hope we don't have any hot 3 point shooting teams in our bracket.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm also interested in who the 9 and 10 seeds are as well because those are all similar quality teams.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

As of today, KU's first seven players (which are all that matter in the Madness) with the near healing of EJ, the 3/4 season arrival of Tharpe, and the mid-March arrival of Perry Ellis, now comprise the best 7-man team in the country.

Great conditioning, great defense, a top 3 draft pick perimeter scorer, experience, and two bench players that can stretch leads (rather than just hold them) form the surest ticket to win a ring. KU's first seven is in better condition right now than all of the other alleged 1 seeds. KU's defense has an answer for all of the players at all of the positions on all of the 4 alleged 1 seed teams. None of the four alleged 1 seeds has an answer for Ben Mac without major help defense. Helping to stop Ben means KU will just peck you to death with the other four positions. KU starts four seniors. KU's only weak link was a massive muscling effort on skinny Kevin, and with Perry ready to come in and amp the scoring, that is no longer a serious threat. KU is in command.

Self knows this. He knows he can nail his second ring with a one seed in the midwest, but he also knows he can't lose whereever he goes as a 2 seed, because KU now has all the pieces.

If KU were seeded 1, or 2, in the midwest, KU gets to play the first two game tourney in KC. No travel. Big support. He gets to let them labor twice with no amping, which means he can save the ampings for the regional and final four.

If KU were seeded 2 in the south, then KU would face no time zone change for the regional in Dallas. Dallas would be familiar turf.

If KU were seeded 2 on the West Coast, Self knows he would likely be given an easy path to beat Gonzaga. KU is a big TV draw compared to Gonzaga. The seeders will not want Gonzaga in the Final Four. And the seeders will not want to put another potential final four team from a big media market out west for fear of KU beating it.

If KU were seeded 2 in the east, then KU will likely KO its best competitor in the regional, which will make the Final Four a cakewalk.

Bottom line is this: Self is holding the aces in this year's world series of basketball poker, so he doesn't really care where the card games are held.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

No one wants Kansas in their bracket. Even Musburger said that KU will be a tough out.

VaJay 1 year, 6 months ago

My favorite part is "KU will just peck you to death" :D

bayareajhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Indiana is the only team that really worries me. They are deep and an excellent offensive team. They also have an elite perimeter defender in Oladipo. He would probably guard Benny Mac and Self would probably have Releford guard Oladipo. Those would both be fun matchups. Withey would have to guard Zeller (a tough matchup for Jeff away from the basket where Zeller is quick and can dribble) and Young would guard Watford (seems like a fairly even matchup). All of those matchups could go either way.

At the guard spots we have the athletic advantage against Hulls and Ferrell, but both of them are cagey Indiana kids, and Hulls has a lifetime 3 pt rate near 50%. The man guarding Hulls cannot lose him or help off of him. That would probably be Benny's/Elijah's job. And Elijah/Tharpe would guard Ferrell, who despite being 1) short, 2) a bit chunky, and 3) 18 years old is a natural and extremely talented point guard. To beat Indiana our guards would have to get the better of Hulls and Ferrell and Withey has to hold his own against Zeller's face up game.

Basically, IU is the only team I think could beat KU if both teams play their best possible game.

BainDread 1 year, 6 months ago

Louisville with Big East refs is my nightmare.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 1 year, 6 months ago

Sounds like we want a two seed in the Zags bracket.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Regarding how the tournament is actually seeded?

Here is a real politik hypothesis.

Step 1: the top teams that attract the most eyeballs and betting are spread equally among three of the four regions; this maximizes the chances of three major media market teams reaching the Final Four.

Step 2: the top low eye ball and betting attractors are spread asymmetrically with heavy concentration in one of the four regions; this maximizes the weed out rate of the low attractor schools.

Step 3: the high attractors and the low attractors are matched up with the greatest probability that the highest attractors will survive the longest.

Step 4: naive indicators like RPI and strength of schedule are used to publicly rationalize what has already been done.

Next.

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 6 months ago

There is no difference between one and two. Essentially you have to bring your best game to the round of 32 and thereafter, as everyone then is decent, or hot, or both. I'd think it better to be the best "two" against the worst "one". The seeding "controversy" is yet another fan hype planted by the DukieV propaganda machine, ESPN.

nostradavid 1 year, 6 months ago

Comedy (and Perry Ellis) will help us to the #1 seed. Watching Coach K pout while Turgeon's Terps took out Duke was funny. Watching this video on a loop is hilarious. You can call it the Spradling Straddle starring Elijah Johnson.

AirCapJay 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't notice that. Awesome!

oldalum 1 year, 6 months ago

It was #3, I think, maybe #2.

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

Didnt Naas long bounce pass to Releford go between the guys legs too ? Love it !

GabrielMichael 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's not forget Duke is a longtime favorite of any selection committee. We won't get a nod over them no matter how deserving. Doesn't matter though... I hope they put us in their bracket...

Dee Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Two teams that deserve a 1 seed over Duke are KU and Miami. KU has 13 wins over teams that are ranked in the top 50 in the RPI. They won the regular season and conference tournament. Miami won the regular season title. They split there head to head match ups. If they win today against UNC they would win the ACC conference tournament. Not sure how Duke factors in.

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

There is more than one source out there that is calling it

"Seeding Sunday" and not "Selection Sunday"

That should say something on how this tournament will go.

Marc Frey 1 year, 6 months ago

Generally speaking, Duke will get the most favorable seeding or home courts advantage regardess of record. The NCAA started the new step so that it was not so blatant.

blindrabbit 1 year, 6 months ago

What a bummer! I trecked a 1/8 mile to my LJ World box this morning at 5:30 A.M. out here west of town to retreive my "real" LJ World. On arriving back in the light of the house, opening the paper and expectiing to see a large "blank" NCAA basketball basketball bracket sheet to be the center part of our get--together this evening. What, to my disbelief, there was not any semblence of one. In priior years the JW would publish several of these in the week preceeding the Sunday parings! What am I going to, other than getting a "real life"; go on-line and print one of those dinky ones that persons of my advanced years cannot see, erase last years 2012 page and re-use for 2013, or get out my old lined tablet and create my own.

Come on LJW, what's going on, in a basketball town no less. Cost of printing too high, maybe paper prices out the window, but I still get all those Sunday "junk" sections. Bah humbug, wonder in the KCStar printed one???

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 6 months ago

Well said. We are lucky to have her.

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 6 months ago

i think we deserve a 1 seed....but i'd rather not have it. Duke may have already done enough.....but being 0-1 and us 3-0 in the respective league tourneys, may tip the scale.

Bill Self has been a coach of five #1 seeds....he's only guided one of them to the FF. yes, we did win the whole thing that year, but we've been down this road before. I'm hoping, for Bill's sake, that we play to seed this year....either as a one or a two....it would make Coach Self now 5-5 at KU, playing to seed.

we've had a great year, and we deserved to cut down nets last night. Perry Ellis is the big news of the Big 12 tourney...his continued very good play, would make us very tough to beat no matter what in the games ahead. i just hope we relax and play ball, because when we do, we're a tough out.

Go Jayhawks!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

The thing I'm interested in is if Duke, when getting the #2, will be strategically placed in Gonzaga's region, or if they get an easy 3 seed like a New Mexico.

Or worse, if they're given a one seed with New Mexico as the 2, and maybe St. Louis as the 4. 2010 all over again.

If they get the 2 in the same region as say Indiana or Louisville at the 1, and Michigan St. as the 3, we can at least not worry about the "Duke" bias this season.

How do you give Duke a #1 when the don't win their conference or conference tourney (out in the quarterfinals)?

My top 8:

1] Louisville

2] Indiana

3] Kansas

4] Miami (if they win today)

5] Duke

6] Gonzaga

7] Georgetown

8] Ohio St. (if they win today)

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

I care more about matchups then seeding; however, the first round the best matchups have historically been in favor of #1 seeds (undefeated) and #2 seeds have lost a handful.

However, isn't it something like 30-35% of #1 seeds make the final four whereas something like 15-20% of #2 seeds do?

I like the #1 seed if those are the stats. Last year remember we have a very Big Ten type of team, so playing Purdue and Ohio State played in our favor. North Carolina was a tougher matchup which we should have won, but with the injury it helped. I'm hoping some pound it inside type of teams and not 3 point magical teams.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

42% of the final four teams in the last 25 years have been 1 seeds; 23% have been 2s. But only 2 of the 2 seeds actually won (UK in 1998; UConn 2004). 18 of the 25 champs have been 1 seeds. 4 were 3 seeds; 1 was a 4 seed (Arizona 1997, ugh); and 1 was a 6 seed (KU in 1988).

akgjenkintown 1 year, 6 months ago

"Opinion: KU deserves No. 1 seed over Duke." Duh! East coast bias aside, a team from one of the six power conferences who win the regular season and conference tournament will be in the discussion for a #1 seed. Duke accomplished neither with or without Kelly. Both Miami, if they win today, and KU will be in the discussion for a top seed. Duke will not. They lost at Miami by 27 points and barely won with Kelly at home. Miami's problem is they stumbled some during the home stretch. The good news is that the selection committee is not made up of East coast reports named Vitale. The bad news is KU will not advance far, whether a #1 or #2 unless by some miracle our guard play improves and they cut down those costly turnovers.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 6 months ago

Ladies & Gentleman, last year at B12 tourney time, I posted that it might help the Jayhawks if the team formally known as a member of the B12 won the conference championship. KU had just lost to Baylor. I was serious, really believed in my heart that it might motivate KU to reach the National Championship. My suggestion was met with, to say least some objection and everything a Jayhawk fan doesn't want to hear about themselves. "Your a troll", "get off this site" and my personal favorite "your not a real Jayhawk fan". My feathers were not quite as thick at that time.

My point is that the team that did indeed win the B12 championship got so miffed they were over looked as a #1 seed they forgot to show up for their opening round game and they got lunched. I know its great topic for discussion,(seedings) I just don't want the current Hawks to get their camo's in a wade and miss the purpose at hand. Thank you I will now duck behind the podium to avoid the object's being thrown. Don't waste any fruit or vegetables.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

@Jaybate...

RE: "Its important for KU fans to stop whimpering like enablers and defending other teams as Number One seeds."

First of all, it's NOT important. It's not important in a practical sense. It's not important in a moral sense. It's not important in an entertainment sense.

Secondly, Kansas may or may not get a number one seed, but there is a heated controversy this year more so than in other years for a reason. So unless you are advocating blind Homerism, I suggest you take off your know-it-all pants and let people have an honest discussion. It has NOTHING to do with fanhood.

And who or what are people "enabling"?

Who is "wimpering"?

It'd be nice if people could talk about the issue without your making the issue be about something else. If Kansas gets a number one seed, no KU fan will be upset about it. But there ARE valid cases to be made for other teams even if you don't like it.

Grow up, Qwitcherbitchinbuttercup.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

No brainer...Duke didn't win either of its conference's titles!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

And no team has a better record (13-4) vs the BPI Top 50.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

To me, the most important thing besides the teams on the lines, is the location. And if I had my way, we'd be in the South, regardless of the 1 or 2. Think, KC for two, Dallas for two, and then ATL.

That would be my pick of regionals.

tis4tim 1 year, 6 months ago

Lunardi has KU, Duke, Michigan St, and Marquette as 1-4 in the South as of just a moment ago. That's a tough draw if that sticks. Guess the thought is the easiest way to send Kansas packing is to put Izzo in our bracket. He is Self's kryptonite.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

We're better than we were in November. I think our chances are good.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 6 months ago

KU definitely deserves a #1 seed, but #2 seed is fine with me. Except, didn't I see a mock bracket with KU as a #1 in the South, with the possibility of playing ISU to get to the Sweet 16? WTF.

Bottom line for me is, I don't care who we play. Bring 'em on. The bigger, the better, and let the chips fall where they may. No excuses for winning a NC!!!! Go Hawks!

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

http://bracketmatrix.com/ has collated dozens of brackets.

52 were updated today. Of those 52:

• 25 had KU as a 1 seed and Duke as a 2.

• 15 had KU as a 2 seed and Duke as a 1.

The others had both as a 1 seed.

It's gonna be close!