Kansas defeats Kansas State, 70-54

• 5 p.m., March 16, 2013
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bragging rights’: KU takes Big 12 tourney title with 70-54 win over Kansas State

Kansas guard Ben McLemore dances on stage to the Jayhawk fans following the Jayhawks' 70-54 win over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on Saturday, March 16 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Kansas State

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 70-54 win over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young talk to reporters after the Jayhawks' 70-54 victory over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship game on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-KSU

— Wearing their Big 12 tournament championship T-shirts and hats, with confetti falling from the rafters, Kansas University’s basketball players danced on a podium in front of their fans on Saturday night in Sprint Center.

It was time to party — the Jayhawks electing to gyrate to "The McLemore" — which appeared on YouTube after various KU victories during the 2012-13 regular season — following a 70-54 title win over rival Kansas State.

“To get that last win in the Big 12 means a lot to us. It’s something the seniors can look back on and brag about,” KU senior center Jeff Withey said after scoring 17 points and grabbing nine rebounds and being named Most Outstanding Player of the event.

Withey and his teammates mentioned “bragging rights” more than once, following a game billed as one that would determine the true Big 12 champion.

Both teams tied at 14-4 and were deemed co-champions during the regular season, though the Jayhawks did sweep the home-and-home series, 2-0.

“It means a lot to our fans who support us,” Withey said. “They can go to work and not have to hear K-State fans saying they were co-champs. I think we won it outright today.”

Senior guard Travis Releford, who popped out his jersey to the fans before throwing his wristbands into the stands after the final horn, acknowledged, “Now our fans can brag about who is the best team in the conference.

“We went into this saying, ‘Whoever won it, it’s winner take all.’ If they would have won, I don’t think we would have gone around saying we were the better team because they would have proved it. Now we can go out and say we’re the best team in the conference. Our fans have bragging rights. It means a lot to them, too,” Releford added.

“This game had to be played to be decided,” stated senior point guard Elijah Johnson, who scored nine points with six turnovers against three assists.

KU coach Bill Self — he proudly noted that his Jayhawks have “had 18 opportunities to win a championship the last nine years and we’ve got 15” — credited a suffocating KU defense for the victory.

“We defended them. They didn’t get many easy baskets. Our defense was terrific the first half,” said Self, whose squad held (27-7) KSU to 16 points off 22.2-percent shooting the first half in grabbing a 24-16 lead. “I think it was our best game (of the three wins) against them. Our defense was exceptional.”

Releford did his usual stellar job on Rodney McGruder, who scored 18 points off 7-of-15 shooting, but scored just four points off 2-of-9 shooting out of the gate.

“The key was help from my teammates, them being aware, letting me know when screens were coming,” Releford said. “Because he ran off a lot of screens. I knew I had to make him uncomfortable and be there on the catch and not let him get easy looks, and I think that was a key in the first half.”

The Jayhawks clicked offensively in scoring 46 the final half.

Naadir Tharpe (12 points, four threes) scored six points and dished a perfect pass to Releford for an assist on a dunk in a 12-3 run that upped a 33-28 lead to 45-31 at 11:59. Perry Ellis, who was named to the five-player all-tournament team, had eight points in a 12-5 surge that upped a 50-41 lead to 62-46.

“It feels good. It’s very humbling,” Ellis said of receiving all-tourney honors with Withey, McGruder, Angel Rodriguez (10 points, 3-12 shooting) and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart.

“I came in here and had no thoughts I would do that. I just come in and try to win. Before the game, coach stressed defense and rebounding, that it’d be a battle. I think we did a good job there.”

KU held KSU to 35-percent shooting overall. The Cats hit six of 24 threes. KU hit 49.1 percent of its shots, including seven of 14 threes.

The Jayhawks won on a day freshman McLemore hit for just five points off 2-of-7 shooting.

“It was a great game for us,” McLemore said. “I didn’t play my best. I’m proud of my teammates. Being out there, celebrating for the first time with my teammates, a lot of seniors, felt great. It’s a blessing to be here with these seniors. Now that we’ve won it all (in conference), we’ve got to keep going, keep playing and try to win the national championship.”

The Jayhawks at 5 p.m. Sunday (CBS Selection Show) will likely learn they’ve been awarded opening-round NCAA Tournament game(s) in Sprint Center next Friday and Sunday, as either a No. 1 or 2 seed. The reward of playing close to home will go to the team that will enter the postseason with a 29-5 record.

“We don’t control that. We’re in a good position to get a No. 1 seed depending on how teams ahead of us played,” Releford said. “I don’t know how it works, but if it goes off how a team is playing, I think we should have a 1 seed.”

Comments

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

And the icing on the cake ~ The KU Pep Band drummer defeated the K.St. counterpart in the halftime competition ~~ A clean sweep ~ AKA ~ A Beat Down.

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

KState and Missery are good enough, I guess ...

for me to poupon!

for me to poupon! by nostradavid

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 5 months ago

Once again, Musburger had me this close to jamming screwdrivers in my ears. And I used to like Fraschilla but not since the Iowa State game. Seriously, the on-and-on about the fouls was painful. They kept talking about what KState should do about the fouls, and about how Weber should go ballistic. Hey, I've got an idea--how about you stop fouling? I hate when announcers (or coaches or fans) compare the number of fouls each team has, as if the officials are biased unless they are evenly distributed between both teams. Guess what--if one team fouls the other team 10 times and the other team fouls them 0 times, then I certainly hope the referees call 10 fouls on team a and 0 fouls on team b. Sorry to go on such a stupid rant my friends, but I think you all understand how much we get hosed on horrible calls every game, and it's sickening when idiot announcers suddenly get their underpanties all bunched up about fouls.

God, this is the best time of the year, isn't it? I feel like tomorrow is the day you go to the mall to see Santa, and then next Wednesday is Christmas eve. Rock Chalk!

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

KU shot 16 free throws. KState shot 14. Some disparity, right?

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

No need to be sorry, Rock Chalk KUfaninPA

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

I hate Musberger, and then I listen to one minute, honest to God, one minute of Bill Walton's call on the Oregon / UCLA game, and I suddenly feel better.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm only assuming that Bill Walton's color commentary at this point in his career is heavily, heavily influenced by years of concussions. Or loads of LSD.

Has to be one or the other.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

Great player, huge know-it-all.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

Musberger was really pushing it. He was keeping a running total, and after every foul he would say "Now that's for KSU and only _ for Kansas. This is really big!" Fran actually tried to shut him down by talking about the mistakes inherent in comparing the number of fouls, and finally said he thought all the fouls had been called correctly. He created a Frankenstein's monster with his witch hunt over the ISU game fouls. Mush thought he was going to be an investigative reporter.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

When I officiated the game, that was always my response. The team that had more fouls called on them fouled more. My wife wants ESPN to fire Musburger because of his ignorance of the game.

I do believe someone spoke to him during half-time. During the second half he tried to apologize a few times. He even stated that he would not talk about the foul disparity again, before ranting for another 30 seconds about fouls.

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

He also said "don't get me started" during the Iowa State game after Fran (mistakenly) noted a missed call on some mundane play in the middle of one of the halves.

Your wife is absolutely right. Musberger is just collecting a paycheck when it comes to calling college basketball games. He doesn't know enough about the sport, and especially not the specifics of the teams and conferences, to be a primetime college basketball announcer. I'm so tired of the Big East and Big 10 getting the quality game announcers while the Big 12 gets stale Burger and a side of crap.

Jocelyn Kennedy 1 year, 5 months ago

Agreed - think how many young broadcast majors out there know these players names, history, the game far better and would be so much more enjoyable!!

Kent Kossoy 1 year, 5 months ago

I have hated the guy since the 70's when he went on a network rant about a Redskins-Cardinals game. But they at least did indicate the foul calls were not missing KU infractions during their rant.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 5 months ago

Should of had the women accompanying Scott Pollard last night sit near Musberger, because she would have distracted him and he would have ignored any discussion about potential discrepancy regarding fouls. Brent, I learned last night that QBs are not the only ones who get the attractive women, apparently ex-NBA basketball players do alright.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

KU in PA.... I can't stand Musberger. This goes way, way back to him declaring USC a dynasty. My wife who watches half the games knows more than him. We really got screwed by ESPN in the Big 12. I'd take Bobby Knight back anyday. Wait, maybe some newbies instead.

mojayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

We got screwed in TV coverage as well. As far back as I can remember, we were able to watch all of the Big 12 tournament here in Springfield, Mo on Mediacom. This year, The Big 12 Network was unavailable so we missed session #1. We had ESPN2 for session 2 for Thursday which was great. Then Thursday evening when we played ISU followed by KSU/OSU, our friends at ESPNU opted to play Kentucky vs whoever they played. We had to watch KU/ISU via computer on ESPN3. Still don't know if it was because we are in Missouri, but it sucked. There are a lot of KU and Big 12 fans right here in Springfield.

ccarp 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm in STL and would have been hosed by espn's #buzzerbeater coverage if I didn't have full court. Game was listed as KU/ISU on the guide, but we got some weak double coverage of Big East and had to watch a vanderbilt and kentucky instead. My parents in KC had to watch local TV for the game. ESPN blew it across the board. Here's hoping CBS respects the big 12 a little more.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

The level of respect CBS has for the Big 12 involves cutting off the last 6 minutes of a game with no way to watch it so they can show an SEC game between two teams that aren't going to make the tournament. Give me ESPN all day long because you can at least see the start of a game on ESPNews or Watch ESPN until it comes on air. If you don't like the announcers, there's always a mute button.

aerohawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, you live in SEC country now, hence the UK game.

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm so glad I didn't have to listen to that. It was bad enough to be sitting in front of a couple -Staters who could not stop crying--and loudly--about the foul disparity. One guy about 10 rows in front of us was literally doing double-barreled middle fingers towards the refs after a "controversial" foul call.

But it's one thing to deal with ignorant fans who are just frustrated because Kansas owns their team, it's entirely another for national broadcasters are focusing so much on the foul disparity. I can understand why it might be frustrating to watch your opponent go 12 minutes into a game without a foul, but you also have to consider the fact that the foul margin at halftime was KU 3, KSU 6, hardly any kind of advantage. The final total was KU 9, KSU 15, again a pretty reasonable disparity, especially when you consider the fact that the Wildcats were forced to start pressing on defense in the second half.

The strange thing to me about Musberger's and Fraschilla's behavior is that I remember it being somewhat taboo to be very demonstrative about officiating on a broadcast not a few years ago. Announcers would occasionally lament a missed call, but none of the focal point analysis that has seemed to take over since the end of that Iowa State game.

But to echo your final sentence, I feel like I'm walking on air. The last two years of KU basketball have been a blessing to watch, and seeing these particular players have success and have so much fun doing it is just a blast.

mattiesdad 1 year, 5 months ago

Especially when you consider Gipson is a massive cheap shot artist who was constantly pushing and full-body checking our players.

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

Try streaming the Jayhawk Radio Network over the internet. Go to the KU sports website to hook up to it. http://www.kuathletics.com/allaccess/

Listening to Bob and Greg on the radio is far superior to network yappers. I enjoy the 15 second delay that ESPN has been running. It allows you to know what's coming up on the video and pay attention. There's even time to go grab a beer and still get back to the TV. Half the time those TV announcers aren't even talking about the action on the court.

Even Mouseburger's mom found a way to tune him out ...

go outside and play

go outside and play by nostradavid

jayhawkfan93 1 year, 5 months ago

And people are always talking about how we always benefit from horrible calls going for us but how about all the calls that go against us? Weber blamed Kansas State tying for the regular season on the call at hilton, but for the first 39 minutes in that game there was so much called on us that should not have been called. Next time I go to school, there will be K-State fans blaming the referees for this loss. We played well, they played okay and we showed them that we were the better team. Three times.

stm62 1 year, 5 months ago

Their "Big 12 Coach of the Year" is 0-3 against HCBS. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Al Martin 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey, you ran away from this conference with your tail between your legs. That at least implied that you would do us the favor of actually being gone. Go slither back to your own mediocrity.

And by the way, we own Kansas City.

Al Martin 1 year, 5 months ago

Still don't understand why you're here. Haven't thought a thing about Missouri since they left. Haven't missed 'em, haven't not missed 'em. Missouri doesn't enter the thought process at all. It sure as hell never occurred to me to visit a Missouri fan site, should such a thing exist. Apparently you must miss us. It ain't mutual.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

man up and play the fifth place sec team. How cute!

jbal32 1 year, 5 months ago

You should worry less about what KU does and more about the other 'awesome' teams in the SEC. How did that Ole' Miss game go last night again? How's that investigation going for Haith?

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Won any conference titles lately? No.

Won any national titles lately? No

Ever won a national title? No.

Did you beat KU the last game between KU and MU? No.

Did you win the Big 12 the last year before you fled for a smaller pay out? No.

Do you make more in the SEC than you would have in the Big 12? No.

Has your football team ever won a national title? No.

Did you win the SEC in football? No.

Do you produce less meth than you did when you were in the Big 12? No.

Are you fans still gutter trash with the Division 1 equivalents of online degrees? Yes.

kay_you 1 year, 5 months ago

jaybate, I believe you predicted KU to win by 15. Well you were wrong. I guess you're not so smart after all.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, off by 1 sucks, doesnt it?

I'll take off by one any time.

I love you, man. :-)

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks for your interest in the University of Kansas Athletics! If you derive your pleasure in watching KU lose, you must be one of the most unhappy people on earth!

We own KC, and we don't mind spending money in Missouri. It's called charity.

And thank you, Missouri, for BMac, a young man smart enough to have NO FAITH IN HAITH.

diesel33 1 year, 5 months ago

I bet you are praying that the selection committee accidentally puts your first round game in Columbia so maybe your team could win a game haha

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you think anyone would go to the game?

RCJHRedandBlue 1 year, 5 months ago

Buahaha, Nice flop against Ole Miss yesterday cupcake. You have one semi good year and think you can still run with the big dogs. Tisk Tisk....Hows the SEC treatin' ya? Gee lets see here, unranked ending this year, football team was a flop... Im sure the Big 12 would consider taking you back since you cant hack it in the SEC, well matter of fact you couldn't hack it here either.....maybe you should take a look at becoming an independent. Pretty apparent you cant win a conference title.

deepind 1 year, 5 months ago

Google this - "Most NCAA Tournament appearances without reaching a Final Four"

KUFan90 1 year, 5 months ago

Ooooo...so scary. An MU fan coming to a KU hoops article to talk smack. Now that is funny!

You must have nothing better to do since your team crapped their pants in their own tourney eh? Will you be hanging a participation banner at The Paige soon?

My favorite stat is that the Big 12 pays out more revenue per school than any other conference.

Sorry you are quickly realizing what a stupid decision your school made. Reality hurts doesn't it?

jayhawkfan93 1 year, 5 months ago

And their brand new uniforms with two yellow stripes down the front of their shorts.

LLH 1 year, 5 months ago

Says the guy whose team will be a double digit seed come tomorrow. Norfolk State anyone. Yeah, you left for greener pastures there in the weak SEC buddy. BTW, how did Mizzpoo do in the SEC this year?

DevilHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Went home with the win. Now it's time for the games that count the most.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

"The beautiful state of missouri"

Thanks for the laughs!

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

Anyone have any news about Randle? anything?

milehighhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

He's supposed to announce on the 20th, last I heard.

kerbyd 1 year, 5 months ago

faith in haith, good luck if you play Norfolk State again.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

The NCAA has quite a bit less Faith in Haith.

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

At least it wasn't a 15 beating a 2 seed in the 1st rnd.

apples to apples KU has never lost in the first rnd as a 1 seed(nothing mu has done, being a 1 seed), or a 2 seed.

ffletch 1 year, 5 months ago

Mizzou is like gum on your shoe. You step in it. It's a pain in the butt for a while. But in the end it chips off and dissolves into nothing.

Lots of empty seats for MU in the sec tourney.

Sprint center is 3 minutes into Missouri and much closer to Lawrence, basketball's Mecca.

Being gone, mizzou fans can't even throw a good sucker punch.

I will always say good riddance. All the less tire slashing and car keying in Lawrence.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Let's do a quick summary now, shall we.

1] Regular Season Champion.

2] Tourney Champion.

3] Very likey another 30 win season.

4] Two more Jayhawks to the NBA.

5] Longest NCAA appearance streak.

6] More victories or Top 50 opponents than anybody in America.

No matter how many times I type, write or chant this list in my head....It never gets boring!!

Congrats Hawks..now it's time to do a whole lot more damage!!!!

johninkc1 1 year, 5 months ago

Jaybate, you could have added that Missery has no BCS appearances, not to mention victories but I am sure they hate to hear about more sore subjects. The five downs by CU, the kicked ball by NU, the last second shot by Tyus Edney and on and on. It must really be sad to have to come on our boards to try to feel better about yourself. Well, I'd say mission failed. We are quite happy in the Big 12, sure wish Missery were here so we could have given them some more beatdowns.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 5 months ago

MU tried to leave for the Big 10, then the SEC. They are now where they want to be. This week, not only did the Big12 not miss MU but Kansas city sent a message.

upinsmoke 1 year, 5 months ago

They were counting on a lot of Kansas money to build that Sprint Center because Missery grads don't make that much at McDonald's or Wal Mart.

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

Cmon now WalMart aint hiring any ex mu students.

You said grads. that's funny stuff.

kay_you 1 year, 5 months ago

"Oh, there’s no doubt,” K-State coach Bruce Weber said when asked about the importance of beating KU. “It’s a big rivalry, but it’s not a rivalry until we make it a rivalry. And that means beat them somewhere."

Craig Carr 1 year, 5 months ago

Liberace is a whiny embarrassment to Ksuck. Respected Huggins and even liked Martin but this guy whines like no other. His dumb looks and mocking laughs and gestures during the game are insulting to the refs, get used to never getting a call. Heard someone on a broadcast say it was a perfect fit- guess I agree

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 5 months ago

Ben has been a great teammate.....I hope he never forgets the guys because he will be a damn good NBA player.....I know his mom was more in love with misery and I hope she now see's how great KU is....Ben, you stuck with us and would have been the difference if you could have played against Kentucky

arch007bak 1 year, 5 months ago

Someone please explain to me...how do you guys keep seeing comments I can't see such as whatever Mizzery fan you're all responding to

kayjku 1 year, 5 months ago

Someone from the site staff removed the troll's comment, I'm sure. They've been pretty vigilant about that lately.

arch007bak 1 year, 5 months ago

Guess I'm not fast enough to get on here and see em

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

Living in Lawrence and going to KU will give you bragging rights for life.

and the Spradling Straddle video will never get old...

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

Will Stradling looked like he was on an And1 mix tape.

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

Will Stradling looks like he was one of the local kids getting burned on an old And1 mixtape.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

How can you guys diss Missouri? They had a better season than the defending National Champions ;)

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder if anyone knows of another reserve named to the Big 12 tournament all-star team? Perhaps Ellis is the first and only.

If KU isn't a number 1 seed then the bias of the NCAA selection committee toward the ACC, Big East, and Big 10 is exposed to all who know anything about BB. The political dominance of the eastern schools of the NCAA is obvious but usually a bit controlled. After all it's the NCAA and not ESPN, a truly unfair organization. I hope Fox Sports can challenge ESPN big time when Fox Sports gets rolling.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Off topic, here's one site's "official prediction" that Randle will come to KU:

Basically, they say it's between UK and KU, but KU is closer to home and is more likely to provide good minutes while still competing for the NC.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

One of the earliest bracketologists to wake up this morning has KU #1 in the South.

By the way, I did post yesterday that KU had no chance to get a 1 seed. Hope nobody saw that...

And another bracket with KU #1 in the South, vs. Duke at #2.

Doug Merrill 1 year, 5 months ago

The CBS bracket would work very well for us, I think!

April13 1 year, 5 months ago

Love those numbers coach Self: 15 of the last 18 Big 12 championships (Regular season and Tourney). Gosh almighty...that is impressive.

jjinks 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought for sure that at least one of you that had negative comments about this team after their three game losing streak would apologize. Come on man up and say you were wrong I would but then I never gave up on them and never will give up on a Bill Self coached team.

Congratulations to a well deserved championship. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK and they say you can't beat a team three times in one season this team did it two days in a row. YEAH BABY

April13 1 year, 5 months ago

The game against TCU has been described as one of the worst games played by a KU team in modern history. And we are supposed to apologize?

GreatJake 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks for the great tournament Jayhawks...Congratulations

tis4tim 1 year, 5 months ago

What a great 48 hours!

Beat ISU for the third time. Beat KSU for the third time. Win outright Big 12 Championship. Witness Perry Ellis become a man. Earn a number one seed. Knock Duke from the #1 perch.

It's great to be a Jayhawk!

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

Addto that list of good things: Mizlose lost, Puke lost, Kentucky lost, there wasn't a school from Texas of any relevence playing.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

And add: Selection Sunday and St Patrick's day all rolled into one. Sit back, relax, have a green beer and watch the seedings. Gonna be a great day!

Mel Clare 1 year, 5 months ago

Seniors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love'em! A team with experience is going to be a tough out in this years version of the NCAA. I like our chances.

Next years team will be loaded with talent........but short on experience. Wesley be our only senior next year? Tharpe, our only Junior? Ellis, Traylor, White and Rio our sophmores? Lucas a redshirt Freshman? Gonna have to be patient next season..................but alot of talent coming in also. I like the Selden kid, Frankamp is a shooter. Embid to replace our ball swatter and Greene is a solid wing with size.........if they add Randle or Wiggins late............WOW!!!!!!!!!! Loads of talent. I would say more than on this years team.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

I wish I could believe that a raw beginner would be able to "replace our ball swatter", but I'm afraid that's another place we'll have to be patient. Oh, how we are going to miss Withey.

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I love this statement! Nice to know the players are thinking about the fans. Thanks, Jeff!

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Déjà vu 2007?

I remember in 2007 UCLA and KU were very close as last #1 and first #2, so the Committee split the difference: make KU #1 but put them in the West Regional with #2 UCLA. One team got the easier draw, the other played the second week closer to home.

I say this because I can imagine the same thing today: make Duke #1 and KU #2 in the South, giving Duke the easier first weekend and KU the geographical advantage.

Basically, that would give Duke the edge in the Sweet 16 playing against #4, but KU would get a relative "home field" advantage in the Elite 8.

What I can't see is KU #1 and Duke #2 in the South.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

I can't either. As a #2, Duke would get geographical advantage, too, wouldn't they? They'd be somewhere in the east.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

No, because Indiana will be higher than Lousiville so Indiana gets priority in the midwest and they get to play in Indianapolis. Gonzaga will get priority out west and be in LA which leaves Louisville, KU, and Duke. Louisville is likely to be the 3rd one seed which means they get priority over KU and Duke and since DC is closer than Dallas, Louisville is going to end up in DC and KU/Duke will end up in Dallas.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 5 months ago

Bragging rights!!!!! Yes, but I knew we had them already. Next stop is in the DANCE. Let's just keep playing great D and let the freshmen help along the way. Our seniors will battle and show their funk. Self has shown you the green light, so show us how high you can fly. Doubters and all those negative commentators, watch the KU show. I even look for Releford to get some recognition for his Big D performances. Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

Bill Self T equals intravenous ampage for those that believe in conditioned stimuli.

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

BACON! bacon, I smell bacon. I love Bacon!!!!!

Did I hear a bell ring?

Bacon

mejayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Mizz fans trolling on a KU site is kinda like stalking your ex-wife.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

You mean, being stalked by your toothless ex-wife.

Steve Corder 1 year, 5 months ago

Is anyone concerned about Johnson's turnovers(6)? Sometimes I wonder if he slips into some kind of a mental fog for stretches at a time. He's a gifted player that drives the middle better than anyone on the team, but man can he be "out-to-lunch" at times.

U2freak 1 year, 5 months ago

I think, quite likely, he has been playing hurt. We will find out when the season is over.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

It always looks to me like he is thinking ahead and loses track of the moment. That's when he gets careless. When he's concentrating he seems to be able to do just about anything.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 5 months ago

I love how in the postgame comments our players remain classy and stand-up through and through. They didn't duck the loss to TCU, the 3 game losing streak or the 20 point blowout loss to Baylor. Well....look who's standing now? Family Over Everything--a tattoo a lot of our players have. Keep believing fellas and see you in North Texas (hopefully)!

We.are.KANSAS!

upinsmoke 1 year, 5 months ago

What I get concerned about are the lazy passes. All of them have them. The best clip I saw this morning was McGruder saying he will leave the Big 12 like he came in, losing to Kansas. And Thomas Gibson whining how TCU can beat Kansas but we kan't. I misspelled that word because that was the way he would spell it. When you read this you must put your bottom lip out about an inch from your mouth to get the full effect of the interview.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

It's a fair question. My guess would be Self is just so defensively-oriented that he cannot fathom the idea of leaving any holes on defense, whereas he's willing to take a gamble on offense in the interests of being aggressive, and thinks if there is a turnover his guys can get back in transition D and make the stop anyway (as they often do). It's not necessarily logical, yet you can't really argue with the results. And I haven't noticed too many recent teams riding a full-court press all the way to "One Shining Moment" anyway.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

I notice that near the beginning of each half, we go through a period of bad TOs, most of which are lazy or miscommunicated passes. In both conference tournament games, we had a TO within the first 30 seconds. In the Iowa State game, it was Withey and against KSU it was EJ.

Do we come out too fired up/adrenaline or is it trying to force plays that aren't there? Even In the Iowa State game, which we lead early 15-2, we gave back a large part of that lead with careless or lazy passing. Fortunately, we normally regain control early enough that we have more than enough time to right the ship.

But not always.. as in the Baylor game. We never had the energy or tenacity to make a solid run.. I think we made three good runs at Baylor but whenever we came within 5-7 points, Baylor would come back with a run of their own.

EJ is the easy target but it's easy to tell when the team isn't setting blocks, dribbling instead of passing and taking the easy shot, not necessarily the best shot.

Is miscommunicated as bad as misremembered?

BlazinHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I am tired of the officiating comments as well.... Fran did hit on it way to much. Overall he and Brent do a good job. Brent gave tons of praise to KU. Still miss Bobby K.

Brodieman1982 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm a little disappointed. K-State actually had the lead for 5 minutes. I guess I'll have to settle for KU either having the lead or a tie for 114 of the 120 minutes they played K-State this year.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

ESPN is showing Jimmy V's 1983 NCAA Basketball Tournament run tonight on their '30 for 30' Films tonight at 9 PM EST in case anyone is interested.