Kansas defeats Iowa State, 88-73

• 6:30 p.m., March 15, 2013
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Friday, March 15, 2013

Feeling free: Perry Ellis has career game as KU downs Iowa State

Kansas forward Perry Ellis comes in for a dunk against Iowa State during the first half of the semifinal round of the Big 12 tournament on Friday, March 15, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Iowa State

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 88-73 win over Iowa State on March 15, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Perry Ellis

Kansas players Elijah Johnson and Perry Ellis talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 88-73 victory over Iowa State on March 15, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

— Giddy Kansas University basketball fans chanted, “Perry, Perry,” as the man of the hour — freshman forward Perry Ellis — completed an interview with ESPN’s Holly Rowe and jogged off the Sprint Center court following the Jayhawks’ 88-73 Big 12 semifinal victory over Iowa State on Friday in Sprint Center.

The crimson and blue-clad spectators in the tourney-record crowd of 19,160 also serenaded the 6-8, 225-pounder from Wichita after a dunk with 6:42 to play and basket and foul shot at 4:31.

“I heard it a little bit. I wasn’t paying attention. I was just focusing on the game. I wasn’t paying attention to that,” said Ellis. He exploded for a career-high 23 points off 10-of-12 shooting and 3-of-3 free throwing, with six rebounds and two steals in 28 minutes.

“I was lost in my emotions out there. I was just having fun,” added Ellis, whose previous career high was 15 points against SE Missouri State on Nov. 9.

His previous high in a conference game was 12 twice — in a home game versus TCU and again at Baylor.

“I really felt free out there. I wasn’t thinking about anything. I wasn’t worrying about messing up,” said Ellis, who filled in for senior Kevin Young, who grabbed six rebounds while playing just 10 minutes because of a lower leg injury, which should not keep Young from playing in Saturday’s 5 p.m. tourney final versus Kansas State.

The fact Ellis knew he was needed might have sparked him, noted KU coach Bill Self.

“Kevin getting nicked up, the fact he couldn’t go, it wasn’t that particular thing that helped Perry (but) he knew he was going to play no matter what,” Self said. “Guys prepare for the moment. This was his moment. It has to give him confidence.”

Young, who banged his lower right leg when he fell on an Iowa State player midway through the first half and tried but was unable to go during a brief second-half stint, said he enjoyed watching Ellis perform.

“Every time he got the ball I was, ‘Attack Perry. Attack, Perry. You got it,’’’ Young said. “I was jumping up and down. I was yelling, ‘Get the ball back to Perry. Let Perry go to work.’’’

Ellis did say he and his teammates were energized when Self picked up a technical foul with 7:47 left in the first half. Self was furious that Ben McLemore had been whistled for a ‘T’ for allegedly taunting the Iowa State bench after McLemore hit a three at 9:41.

“It was a momentum push. We saw he was fighting. We had to fight with him,” Ellis said.

The ‘T’ came after a Georges Niang bucket cut KU’s lead to 20-19 at 7:47, Self ranting and raving following the inside hoop. By half, the Jayhawks held a narrow 35-31 lead, thanks to a Travis Releford three on the final possession of the half. KU rolled, 53-42, the final 20 minutes.

“The one (technical) in Ames I wanted. The one here I ... I deserved both of them,” Self said. “I don’t think it was calculated. I don’t mind my guys seeing me fired up. Usually I’m fired up against them. This time I was fired up for them.

“That was a ‘mad’ T,” Self added. “It turned out to be intentional because there was no way I couldn’t get one. I acted like an idiot. It happens every now and then. Hopefully not often.”

McLemore, by the way, said he wasn’t trying to taunt Iowa State following his three that gave KU a 16-13 lead.

“I didn’t say anything. All I did was hold up three (fingers) and went, ‘Boom,’’’ McLemore said. “I was looking at the bench when I did it. It’s what I do whenever I make a three. I don’t think it changed the momentum of the game.”

“Every time Ben makes a three, which a lot of players do, he does the three sign and puts it down his leg,” Self noted. “The official told me, ‘I don’t know if he said anything or not, but he looked at the bench.’ I am all for sportsmanship. I don’t know if it’s bad sportsmanship if you look at the bench, though.”

Up 38-33, KU used a 17-6 run to bust the game open at 55-39 with 12:24 to play. Jeff Withey had seven of his 14 points, while Ellis and Elijah Johnson had four in the run.

“We were motivated to win,” said Releford. “We knew both games against Iowa State this year (two overtime KU wins) could have gone either way, there and our place. We wanted to play the game and get this win and move to the championship game.”

Comments

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow! Perry Ellis Coming Out Party! He showed the total package tonight--15 ft jumper, midrange jumper, nice footwork on the block, dribble drive from the free throw line, athletic dunks, and nice free throw touch. I didn't see any flaws in his offensive game. What a boost for us for Perry to be coming along so nicely. If he keeps improving like this through the tournament he just might play his way onto some draft boards.

NCAA Tournament Field--Meet Perry Ellis!

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm a huge Bill Self fan, but if I have one consistent criticism of him it would be his short leash on young bench players, and not letting them play through mistakes. Perry has had this in him all along, he just needed to be allowed to play through mistakes so he could get his confidence back. Kevin's injury finally allowed that to happen last night.

Kevin is a better defender at this point, and still needs to get a lot of minutes, but Perry is the much better offensive talent. I hope this is a sign of things to come for Ellis in the NCAA tourney. We could really use his offensive production.

I've never backed off my prediction that Perry will be first team all Big 12 someday. He's just way too quick and athletic not to be. He needs to keep working on developing that motor so he plays all out, all the time. Self is the perfect coach to develop that motor.

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 4 months ago

How many losses are you willing to allow? Self coaches to win every game. Let them play through it in a one possession game and you risk a loss.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

Oops, I accidentally posted this reply one comment down, but meant to post it here:

I would prefer we play to win National Championships. If you lose a game or two along the way to get someone ready for tournament time, then so be it. Conference titles are nice. National Championships are even better. Do you think Perry would have been the factor he was this weekend had Kevin not been hurt? Or made the all tournament team? Not a chance. Self had to let him play through his mistakes Friday night and it turned out pretty well.

You may all recall a game he had in the non conference season, where he put up big numbers. The skill has been there all along offensively. He just lost his confidence on that short leash. Now he's found it again.

He is a little frustrating defensively.. I get that, but it's hard to get better watching from the bench.

Steve Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

I posted couple months ago, and stand by it, Perry is national POY his jr. season. This is all part of the growth.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

I posted back in October that we would play Kansas State in the finals of the Big 12 tournament...

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

Self doesn't play kids before they are ready. McLemore plays plenty, Xavier and Selby got all the minutes they could handle. When Perry played earlier in the season he was too slow and lacked confidence. Now Perry looks much more prepared for the college game. Perry will be a stud, it's just rare for a freshman to step right in and be a major contributor on a team that is constantly as stacked as KU.

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree about the criticism of Bill's short leash. Perry looked all year like a player that just needed more game minutes to get into the flow and build confidence. I've questioned before, how do you build a player's confidence if you yank him after every mistake and don't let him play through a few. Maybe Perry's confidence was buoyed by Kevin's injury and knowing Bill had no one else to turn to if he made a mistake. Anyway, great game--looking forward to today's.

jjinks 1 year, 4 months ago

Your one criticism of the coach is wrong. Did you ever stop to think this short leash might be why they turn out so good? Just think about it. I will never complain about his success, his way seems to be working. Of course this might be the reason he's coaching the Jayhawks and you are not a coach. Just saying.

jhox 1 year, 4 months ago

Whoa there Chief. I think Self is the best coach in college basketball. He is, however, human. I'm just expressing an opinion and making an observation. I'm not trying to turn public sentiment against him or anything.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

All I know is that I no longer think getting Randall would be essential for future success. If Ellis can maintain this level and grow and Traylor continues to improve, the 4 spot looks pretty solid already.

Would still love to get Randall, but if he plans to be a OAD, I think it could disrupt team chemistry.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey now, first things first, let's get after the 'Kitties' tomorrow and show them who the 'REAL' Big 12 Champ is before worrying about the NCAA Tourney at this point . . . plenty of time for that AFTER tomorrow. As gratifying as it was to silence the 'haters' after now sweeping the 'Clones in 3 straight games this year, it will be even more so by silencing the 'sheep-lovin' Mildcats after tomorrow's game. I will say they are a mentally tough team that will take us to the limit, but if we play KANSAS Basketball, we will no doubt prevail . . . ROCK CHALK to the NCAAA Tourney as a #1 Seed if we do win tomorrow given the defeats by Duke and Georgetown today. No worse than a #2 Seed -- still based in KC -- if we happen to falter tomorrow. If you think the 'Clones fans were fired up for us tonight, wait until you see how maniacal the 'Cats fans will be -- you must understand, this is indeed rarified air for them and they will want to seize their big moment . . . we must not back down from the challenge; rather meet their intensity with our own and go out and TAKE what is rightfully 'ours' -- yet ANOTHER 'Big 12 (Tourney) Championship!' THAT is exactly what Perry did tonight and the other players need to do likewise tomorrow!

dylans 1 year, 4 months ago

The NCAAs love affair with Puke isn't over. Look for the Dukies to slip into a one seed after failing to win their conference, losing in the post-season tourney, and losing a couple games during the season by 30+.

JD Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice work Perry, bring it 7 more games and the night of April 8 will mark another National Championship.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 4 months ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, Perry Ellis is FREE!!!
We all knew it would happen, and what a thing of beauty to watch. Power-hungry 'Hawks that we are, we all wanted it three months ago, but it was well worth the wait in my books. Now whether it's Kevin Young, the savvy senior human pogo stick or Perry Ellis, the freshman - a n exploding new star, we are in EXCELLENT shape for the Big Dance.

Let's go and Rock some Chalk with the purples, and don't let up at all!!!

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 4 months ago

A lot of people have expected PEllis to perform like that. He is capable of doing damages be it in the paint, dunking, or from top of the key with his signature jumper. He's completely lights out tonight. This is it! Our offense starts to show signs of life - well, except the 3s, but it's very encouraging. Keep it up, guys. Inch by inch, play by play - let's roll!!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Withey's O-game has come a long ways, and Young creates opps through his energy, but it still is not a consistent enough threat to really be effective. It was more than just Perry's game, but we really dominated the paint. It has been a while. It seemed like Perry scored at will.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Just got to watch the start of the game. Wow! I don't recall ever seeing Coach Self that livid for that long. It's usually at the players, and rarely goes more than one TO, but he was really barking up a storm for a long time.

syceda 1 year, 4 months ago

I love when a plan comes together.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Self may need to talk to Fred about pacemakers. :-)

Perry got huge.

2 in 2.

Now 3 in 3.

Beat Spruce Bruce.

ccarp 1 year, 4 months ago

Let the obtuse goose loose with his own noose. The bulletin board fodder has been great motivation for March.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

KU's been scoring in bunches in March, excluding whatever happened in Waco last week. In fact against ISU, 88 tonight, 108 a couple weeks ago, and 97 in the first meeting.

gimmetheclaw78 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice article. Great coach. Great photo.

nostradavid 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry has to start today! He is ready to get after it.

I'm warming up with Turgeon's Terps vs. Roy's dadgum Tarheels. Seeing Coach K simmering on the bench was good fun.

Perry is not playing on the fringe anymore ...

He's groovin'

He's groovin' by nostradavid

Michael Luby 1 year, 4 months ago

No way Perry starts this late in the season. I mean, only if Kevin is still hobbled tomorrow night. Bringing Perry off the bench with his new found punch is the spark KU needs right now. He is an automatic starter next season though.

Michael Luby 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh man did I love it when ISU left Perry open right at the top of the free throw line. They were Double Daring him to shoot it and he ends up killing them! Freekin awesome.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

They were still using Kevin Young's scouting report! Hah!

okiedave 1 year, 4 months ago

GREAT ARTICLE --- A MUST READ FOR EVERY JAYHAWK

NorthStarHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Hooligan....thanks for the link. Great story....but that's what you get from a Posnanski story. One of the best sports-story writers ever.

So after reading this article, it's tempted me to play the "what if" card again. We all know how inept an AD Missouri's Alden is. "What if" Alden hadn't been mesmerized by the twinkly lights cast aura known as Duke and hired Bill Self instead of the mousse-ladened, Strike-a-Pose Snyder? "What if" Alden would have actually offered the job to Self? After reading this story, would Self have even accepted the job from someone who doesn't listen well and go to a culture that thrives on being victim thinking they are victors?

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think Bill would have accepted a job at Mizzou. It wouldn't have been a step up for him.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

The only book by Posnanski that I've read was the "The Machine" and it was a fantastic rendition of the '75 Cincinnati Reds. Haven't read "Joe Paterno" yet but looking forward to reading it.

I think the best nonfiction book on sports was "Season on the Brink" by John Feinstein. jmo

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Good stuff! "Coach Brown ever mention me?" "No. Never."

jpettyjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

While reading this, I couldn't help but compare what Self does to how calipari "the snake" handles things. It's unreal how BAD of a coach that guy is with all the talent he has on that team. Too bad those kids didn't decide to come to a winning program.

AirCapJay 1 year, 4 months ago

Why the hatred of Bruce Weber? I think he has done a heck of a job. Everyone thought Frank Martin was good but Martin's players were ready to walk if Martin stayed. Weber has turned those players into champions. Last nights game against #13 OSU KSU looked good. Real good. Tonight's game is going to be tough.

All of our losses except MSU have come against teams not ranked (when we played them). KSU's loses (except for 1) have come to ranked teams. Weber has KSU looking business like. Professional. They don't turn the ball over. They take care of business. They will be a tough out tonight.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

This is what Soren Petro from 810 AM in KC wrote when explaining his vote for Bill Self as Coach of the Year; it makes a lot of sense.
"For me, it came down to how much of the coaching on the Kansas St. team was done by Weber and how much was done by Frank Martin? What percentage of the credit goes to Frank Martin for coaching the toughness in the Cats is debatable, what is not debatable is that Weber benefitted from it (not to mention almost every minute was played by Martin’s recruits).

In Lawrence, the entire team was assembled and coached for their entire college career by Bill Self. For that reason I gave the nod to Self. Had Travis Ford tied for the conference championship, I would have given the award to him."

Add to that his mock funeral for Bill Self at Illinois and his comments at the "net cutting" ceremony in Manhattan and you see why KU fans are not crazy about him

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Why hate Bruce? Because that antagonist-from-shrek-looking, liberace-impersonating, tactless clown runs his mouth too often.

His most recent blunder involved publicly stating that K-State would have won the Big12 outright if the refs hadn't given a game to KU. Big mistake.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 4 months ago

The scared look in his eyes was gone. A smile had found the way to his face. Perry Ellis arrived at the party. Welcome Perry, make yourSelf at home!!

ohjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I am going to miss Kevin next season! He was the energy at the beginning of last night's game. How many possessions did he keep alive after missed shots? Then, after injuring his leg, instead of pouting about it on the sidelines, he's over there encouraging his replacement! That young man will definitely be a great coach. He just "gets it".

mejayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd love to see Kevin Young as an assistant for KU

brooksmd 1 year, 4 months ago

I nominate KY for "KU Custodian of the Year" for the way he cleans up under the basket. Love his energy and emotion. Gonna miss you KY.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

It seems like all year Perry Ellis has been sleep-walking while playing. I can't put my finger on it, but he hasn't played with any intensity. If he finally woke up, I hope he stays awake the remaining games.

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 4 months ago

Agreed. I was thinking earlier in the season that I have never seen anyone miss so many seemingly easy shots. He has a nice jump hook, but he could never get it to fall.

KansasComet 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry Ellis is ready because it is winning time. That is what he does, check his resume. Anyone that thought he could only play below the rim, hopefully you have changed your tune after seeing this performance.

This is why I never waste my time worrying about who we get when it comes to recruiting. I trust Bill Self, he has that figured out. Next year will be great, the scary part is that Rio, Andrew, and Landen have not hit their stride yet, but it's coming. Maybe not this year, but next year.

The long distance 3 by EJ toward the end of the game was just as emphatic as his dunk. That is my guy, I will be sad to see him go. I plan to enjoy the moment watching the championship tonight. What a special team!

Kye Clark 1 year, 4 months ago

Agree on the doubters that wondered if Ellis could even dunk (something I saw frequently in the posts from his critics). Last night he threw down one after the whistle had blown, and my eyes got wide and I said to my brother "It's on. Perry's going to explode tonight."

ccarp 1 year, 4 months ago

Dude, Perry! 34 drove it to the hole like Pierce! How bout the softhands to go with the power. He wrangled a lazer from Tharpe for one of his buckets. Minimal T.O.'s to go with max production. Love it! Stay focused and fired up hawks. Let's solidify that the big 12 is our conference and that this is KANSAS city! We heard the Perry chant near the end of the 2nd half on TV and joined the chant at home. I like all pistons firing! Excited to take it to next gear in March! Rock Chalk!

Mick Allen 1 year, 4 months ago

Unsung hero, Tharpe, 4 of 6, and 8 dimes and 1 turnover. I believe EJ hit his 2 threes with Tharpe at the point. His 1 turnover occurred when he slipped and got picked. Love them both, but at this point I believe he handles the ball better than EJ.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Why was Ellis so successful?

I think ISU prepared much like the last time .. to sag off of KY, give up the jumper, and use that defender to help. That works on KY because he usually isn't going to bury the 15-18 footer. Ellis is a different type of offensive player. The matchup there really played in our favor. But Ellis exploited it. Pretty impressive. Ellis was able to get his shots to go down. Obviously. But with all the moves Ellis had made earlier in the season, and all the missed shots, you just knew it was a matter of time. And no fumbling the ball out of bounds. It's a big deal to see both. Perhaps even bigger heading into next season. We'll desperately need that down low.

But it's still this season -- make no mistake, today vs. KSU is a huge game. Huge. A loss in a conference tournament is obviously not fatal to an NCAA tourney run. But while I think the win today will be nice, a loss could really doom our NCAA tourney chances. This team has always been "fragile", as Self said. A loss today may cause some fatal self-doubt. If we were playing OSU, I wouldn't say that. But we're playing KSU. We tied them for the league title, and we've heard the mouths out west. A loss would sting much worse than a win would be be helpful to our team's psyche .. just my opinion there.

And, of course, a win today may provide a number 1 seed .. which is the best, most assured path, to a final four (42% of FF teams in the last 25 years have been #1 seeds) and a possible NC (72% of champs in last 25 years have been #1 seeds).

Based on results, it looks like we may get Duke in our region because 5 teams have separated, and the #4 and #5 will likely be in the same region -- whomever gets the #2 seed there will have a tougher path to the regional final.

On another note, MU probably yacked up getting an 8 or 9 seed in KC, playing perfectly to their #6 seed in the SEC. If they had one more regular season loss on their resume, they might be out.

Michael Luby 1 year, 4 months ago

And Kensinky isn't going to be there either!

Kye Clark 1 year, 4 months ago

The only thing I'd qualify this with is the committee will take into account the fact that Ryan Kelly was unavailable for what...6 weeks? 2 months? They'll surely cut Duke some slack on any losses that were incurred during his absence, thus I think even if we win today Duke will still be the last #1 seed.

Not saying it's right, but that's the logic I imagine the committee using to rationalize giving Duke another gift.

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

I was joking hawk-of-ages(below), but now my question is Indiana. How do you lose a game a week for the past three and never have your position on the 1-line questioned and never drop out of the top three in the rankings?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Right .. you don't win your conference or your conference tourney, and you get a #1 seed? Only Duke.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

2002 Kansas team lost in the big 12 tournament but was still a number one seed. Same with Kentucky last year. It really isn't all that uncommon.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

Both those teams were regular-season conference champs (KU, in fact went 16-0 that year). Duke is not.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

He did say 'or' but a valid point.

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

Isn't it part of the committee's criteria that two #1 seeds automatically go to the Big East and ACC?

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 4 months ago

Can't tell if you're joking or not, but the answer is no. It does work out that way most years, of course.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Kentucky did not win last year's SEC tournament but was still a #1 seed so Duke isn't the only school to lose their conference tournament and retain their top-seed.

I'm really hoping Syracuse will take out Louisville. If that happens and we win today, I think we will have a #1 seed.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Completely agree but I'm sure this isn't a first..Duke probably did it sometime in the past.

LngTimeFan 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry's really coming around and he is heck of an asset this time of year and for the future. Ben was a turnover waiting to happen - can't hang onto the ball, throws it away, got beat several times, and the T was stupid. He will turn pro no doubt but he will be eaten alive in the pros with even so so next level skills. Hope he wakes up hereon thru the tournament.

Mel Clare 1 year, 4 months ago

Next years team is rounding out well...........Ellis, Traylor, White, Tharpe, Rio and Lucas will be a very nice nucleus for the guys coming in! BS said that Lucas will be a LOAD down low......6'10 and 240 right now! Embid at 7'0, Ellis at 6'8, Traylor at 6'7 and the Greene kid is also 6'7 coming in! White is taller than BMac, Rio as tall as EJ, Greene taller than Rele.........next years team will be bigger than this years team.......VERY young yes......but a much bigger team! And Selden is what????? 6'5 and 220???? Reminds me of Richard Scott from the 91-94 teams!

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow, Richard Scott, haven't herd that name in awhile, if any current player turns out to be as good a post player as he was we are going to be terrific on the front line.

packywacky88 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm contemplating driving from SW MO to KC today for the game. Anyone want to come along? Plenty of tickets available right now. Leaving Springfield at noon.

Steve Brown 1 year, 4 months ago

Now that we are down from 4 teams to two left, there are always plenty of 'cheap' tix left of the final... come on one and all.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 4 months ago

In postgame McGee said Hoiberg never even mentioned Ellis in the game plan. That will no longer be the case. But what can you do with him? When he's on the floor the dynamics will be exponentially different for opponents & that starts tonight with manure U. Bruce should be beside himself as always. He even did an audtion for aSelf impersonation (technical) late game last night, but he was only posing like little puppies in a litter. Perry's quick moves and a straight up jumper? He fills the lane when others catch in the paint too, & was ready "to do the dishes" whenever he caught the rock. His nerves seemed relaxed after Young went out & seemed to know he would still play no matter what. Even the veterans get chewed on so let it go in one side & out the other. When asked if they'd ever seen Self so angry in a game a couple meekly said no, but EJ just smiled & said "I go to practice with him everyday." Great quote from a great kid. Ya gotta love it.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

I didn't realize until last night how quick Ellis was. Combine that with his college body and shooting touch, and who knows just how good he'll be. For those who compare him to Simien, do I forget, or isn't Ellis quicker than Simien?

No disrespect to Simien, a great Jayhawk.

GortHawker 1 year, 4 months ago

" Monster P " where you been baby! Bout time you showed up, way to go, great game, hope you have many more 20 pointers left in your career. Now bring on K-State so we can prove who really is B12 champ.

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

Poor little corn-eating ISU fans. They wanted Kansas? They got Kansas.

justinryman 1 year, 4 months ago

And we shall say the same tonight.

KSU wanted us, they will ge tall they can handle from us.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

YES!!!! As they say.......Careful what you wish for.....You may get it!

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats to all the KU fans at the game. One of the little crybaby ISU players said the KU fans kept getting louder and louder and thus hard for him play.

HA HA. Well done, KU fans!!! Do it again tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

ISU has probably already put up a banner in their arena....."Scored 73 points in loss to Kansas", March 15, 2013.

Why not? The pathetic worms put a banner up if the wind blows.

Pathetic.

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 4 months ago

If those no.1 and no. 2 ranked recruits watched Peryy's performance in yesterday's game, I think they just decided to commit elsewhere. If they expect to waltz in to a starting 1&Done position at KU, they had better think twice. As sniper60 pointed out above, we've got a lot of good-sized - and good- players on tap for next year. Wiggins and Randle will have to earn their minutes and share in the team concept. If they don't want to do that, allow me to introduce Mr. Callipari.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Performance is decisive, but hype helps in making it in D1.

Hype buys you lots of chances and belief from others you will make it, even when you suck most of a season.

Perry and Zach had hype.

Kevin Young did not.

Perry and Zach seemed to be being fast tracked over Kevin in Europe early, despite Kevin knowing the system and having been a rotation player on a team that went all the way to the national finals.

Then Zach got brained and Kevin broke a finger and Perry got the start for several early games and struggled so much with lack of aggressiveness that Self gave Kevin, a guy with a broken finger, a start. Kevin played well and the starters gelled.

Alas Perry and Dir struggled in their 6-7th man roles most of the season.

And whenever Kevin had a bad game, a cry went out for the hyped Perry. One bad shooting game was all it took. One bone head play and the hyped player was called for. Whatever limitation Kevin had was justification for trying Perry. A great game by Kevin was good till Perry got it together, but Perry couldn't get it together for the longest time.

Enter Perry for 28 or so games and it was endless futility. The lead shrank. Shots weren't made. No boards. Poor defense. No matter. Perry was a 5 star. He had to be better now. The hype had to be true. Self had goofed Perry up. Always excuses for the hyped player and another try. Sudden complaining and focus on limitations of the non hyped Kevin.

And then the most unfair cut of all to the hyped player. He must be a bust, if he can't live up to the hype. This cut continues even when a hyped player that can't live up to the hype slowly begins to fill an important backup role. Hype is crystal meth of PR for fans. Hype is digitized crack. Hype warps the fans perspective.

Finally, 30 games in or so the hyped Perry began to be adequate as a backup. Everyone sensed a big opportunity for Perry to pick up the slack for a fouled up, or injured Kevin, or Jeff. Not a 23 point game. Just a solid 20 in backup finally.

But then Perry has one big night and leads the team in scoring doing what he was hyped to have been able to do all season, but could not despite 30 games of opportunities, and board rats say, yet again, perry is the man! Perry is the guy to start. Perry is the basket to put all your Easter eggs inside. The Easter Bunny likes hype.

The unhyped Kevin does it for a season against all kinds of opponents.

The hyped Perry does it for a game against a short, leg-dead ISU.

Start Perry spikes in intensity, even though Perry has been being trained nonstop since December just to be able to come in and perform well as a backup and finally grooved the role perfectly in mid March.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

I kind of remember a recruit named Zach...

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Part 2

Please, give hyped Perry a break. Let him perform the role he has been groomed for since December and enjoy the sense of mastery. And let him help this team the best way he can at this moment. Let him even start for Kevin if Kevin is ready for post season surgery a la Elijah. Let him be groomed next year for a starting role he will grow to master.

But if Kevin is ready to go, give due respect to the skill and game of the man that got it done for Self as a starter all season without hype.

Don't clamor to fix what ain't broke, because of hype and one game.

Both players deserve at least this much.

The team deserves all the assigned roles being filled the best they can be. KU claims to be defense first team. Kevin is the better defender. KU needs a scoring boost often, once the defense has hamstrung them. Perry is a good scorer. It's a perfect fit really. My biggest fear is that Kevin is Self grade "nicked up," which means "needs surgery now, but will wait till after season." Perry will do a adequate job filling in as starter, but are Jamari and Justin ready to replace what either Kevin, or Perry gave?

Sherron did not start one season, when he was as Self said probably the best player on the team, because it made the team better.

Hype is often based on potential that actually will be realized; that might even have kicked in in certain ways, but not in all ways.

But recognizing the reality of hype is not the same as fitting the puzzle pieces together.

Self has a very good puzzle, when the team is in attack mode, as Comet likes to say.

I have been saying for a month now that if perry can fill his role and the team can avoid injury, the team can win it all.

But that requires the best rotation playing their roles optimally.

Rock Chalk!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

It has been more than one game. I think the light came on for Ellis against Baylor. It was just such a bad loss that it might have gone a little unnoticed. But without doubt, last night was his coming out party.

If Kevin Young is ready to go tonight and from what I hear he is, then he most definitely deserves to start. Now is not the time to change the starting lineup and Ellis can contribute just as much coming off the bench.

A question jb... Does the emergence of Perry Ellis in any way affect the recruiting of Julius Randall?

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

I can only think it would be a positive for Julius. A 5 star, no matter how good, needs great teammates to do great things. Besides, it is human nature to think that whatever happened to someone else (Perry's struggles) will not happen to him.

Further, the high low is really just 4 and a 5 with roles determined more by the talents of the players' on hand than by anything set in stone. Self has done all kinds of things with the 4 and 5 just the last four years. Self has crafted a four man rotation out of two 4s, a 4 and a 5, a stretch 4 and a 5, and a stretch 4 and a stretch 5, in recent years. And go back to Simien's team, he basically put a power 4 on the low block and then filled the other position with a walk on.

Perry is going to become a superior back to the basket guy, maybe money like Simien was; that means he needs to spend a lot of time down on the low block, then stretch out to the top of the circle to look for drives down the lane. So: call him a stretch 4.

Julius seems to fancy himself a guy who can do the same things only with more muscle.

What could be better than Perry and Julius starting, with Jam Tray and Embiid coming off the bench? And Justin is still there for injury insurance.

And the thing to tell Julius is: look, we've got the kind of depth that if it turns out you're not quite as ready to start as we think you are, that we can afford to bring you along slowly just as happened with Perry and finally have you ready to kick ass and take names later in March. Pitch it to him as a win win for him. If you are ready, you absolutely are going to play, and if you are not, we can coach you up and have you ready by season's end for a break out sophomore season. I think a young big man like Julius would find that very appealing. Yeah, its great to step in and play, but not if it turns out you've got some holes.

Most of what Julius does depends on how good Julius thinks Embiid is. If Embiid could come on fast as a blocker and Self has Perry as a scorer, then Julius could be looking at a backup slot even if Julius were plug and play. There just is not substitute for footer that can take away an opponents inside game.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Strong argument..I have noticed throughout the HCBS era that he will use either the 4 or 5 in the Hi-Low. Going back to the days of Sasha Kaun, he often used Wayne Simien, Julian Wright, Darrell Author, Giles,Stewart and others but he has always had a true center who was the main focus in the high-low.

I guess a lot will be determined by how quickly Joel Embiid progresses. I don't think you can put Ellis back on the bench. He endured a rough freshman season only to break out at the most opportune moment. I think he could very well be an anchor for a championship team.

It seems that we agree on most of the major points and I also want Randall at KU with my only concern being team chemistry.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 4 months ago

I've been waiting all year for 12 footers to start dropping. Perry and Whithy should both be shooting these. This makes the high/low offense work. If this team plays to it's potential they will be hard to beat.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Ellis being able to hit the mid-range jumpers is a huge plus for Kansas. It seems most players either become three-point specialist or post up in the paint. The mid-range jumper is somewhat a lost art.

That and his ability down low makes him a difficult assignment to guard. Bring it all tonight Ellis!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Just pointed out on College Game Day...should KU win today, they will be 13-4 vs BPI Top 50. No other team has double-digit wins! Lunardi says that will be VERY hard to overlook in terms of selecting #1s.

JD Roth 1 year, 4 months ago

Common sense tells you KU is a number 1 seed. Don't need "experts" to tell me that. ESPN still butt hurt over KU beating Iowa State for third time.

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm happy about Ellis.....but lets not get too excited yet. ISU was an easier team for him to play against. K-State will be harder with their size inside. His jumpshot is what I'm most happy about.......Withey too . If Withey can add that FT range jumpshot to his game......KU cannot be stopped.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah, the rain on the Ellis parade. Brave man.

But true. The trajectory is upward, but no reason to think he made a monumental leap in just one game. We may not really know the answer until about December 1.

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM.....yes.....He has great potential.....I have no doubt of that. But I'm just "keeping it real". He wont have a game like that every night. But now he is going to divert opposing teams' attention. That will leave others open. It's win-win.

theend 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh.....and Missouri lost yesterday......what a great day!!

Ahhhhhhh.....poor little Missouri.

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

Last night the best KU team of the year appeared on the court against Iowa State. I can believe that if this team keeps showing up KU is a final four lock. We had the best university level front court in the USA on the floor using four different players at the 4 and 5 positions. No one else can do this. Tharp and Johnson did yeoman work at the point and the shooting guard and forward played decent if not up to their usual performances. If KU wasn't the best 8 players as a team in the country last night I have no idea at all who might be. I don't think outside of the pros there is one.

Keep it up. Win the next 7 games. It's possible. I believe.

BTW. Even I feel a bit sorry for the hog farmers after last night. They must be stunned. Do in Bruce's goat ropers today. I will feel no sorrow.

KULA 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree about the "best 8 players." That's why this team reminds me of the 08 team.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Bruce's goat ropers. I love it.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

I can not disagree. McLemore was not having his best game but was bailed out by the production off the bench. Tharpe and Perry Ellis really picked up the game into the Jayhawk's faster pace.

LngTimeFan 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't see anything anti Kevin posted in anything about Ellis' improved play of late, just giving him credit for the play. And, while that play is much improved he has yet to sustain if for a season against higher level competition. Kevin brings a different kind of energy and has sustained it for a long time. Both deserve credit, Kevin deserves to start. All the pontificating doesn't make much sense.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 4 months ago

By the time Perry had 12 everyone knew to get the ball to Perry. He was the hot hand. Great recognition by his senior teammates. This is probably the most unselfish senior class I've seen. We'll miss you.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 4 months ago

Hawks took their 3-seater broom to KC & are warming up the hex-mobile model for next week. Bill's probably gettin the junk D books packed for the flip back too. How many more rabbits ya think are in the hat? By cracky, that 4 spot by committee worked vs the hoggers pretty well. Guess farmers just have to be careful what they wish for Bruce, we know none of you are really dumb enough to think you really want to play Kansas again. ISU really didn't even though they whined about that & everything else now for 3 friggin games. At least Fred's not that big a fool.Then again your silo inspired pedigree may indicate otherwise.....

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Great matchup for Ellis, and great results. Could be very useful depending on our draw in the tournament. If we come across one of these spread-out, sharp shooting teams that are so commonly successful in the dance, what a luxury to be able to plug in Ellis and switch our game to matchup offensively without a hitch.

Until then though, use him as needed. Young is still the guy. Get well, Kevin! We still very much need you.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

I wonder what excuse Weber will use tonight after KU beats his Wildcats?

I'm glad we got K-State instead of OSU......I think KU matches up well vs K -State.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

No need for worry, everyone. My little 3 year old daughter says that Jayhawks always beat Wildcats. To emphasize the point.....she bounces her stuffed baby Jayhawk on top of a make-believe Wildcat and makes bird "screeches".

There......you have it from an expert. Jayhawks win.

ParisHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't give her a smartphone or tablet, she will start posting here in your place ;)

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

She already watches me type at the computer and tries to do it herself......but with limited success at this point. I may let her post on here when she is four. Look out, Jaybate......You have competition on the way!!!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

kenneth,

No doubt she will be a star.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Jaybate......She and her stuffed Baby Jayhawk already follow your posts!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

I am honored.

But I may have to clean up my act. :-)

Women. They start changing men from the very start. :-)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Good Lord..and I thought my golden retriever peeing on the neighbor's cat was cute!!!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Hopefully the cat looks like a "Wildcat"? Or a "Tiger"? If so I hope the dog pees liberally!!

bennybob 1 year, 4 months ago

He's following Marcus Morris' progression. Finally starting to "get it" in the conference tournament.

Kids going to be scary good next year.

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Ugliest warm up uniforms has to be Indiana. I hate those stupid striped pants. They look like ice cream vendors at a circus.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Could next season's lineup be Ellis, Tharpe, Selden, Randle, Embiid with Traylor, Frankamp, Greene, Lucas and AWIII off the bench???!!!

OOOHHH DOCTOR!!!!!!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Rio Adams in there somewhere......unless he transfers. Justin Wesley? Don't know if he will ever get much time. But yes.....could be another great year!!

kennethst 1 year, 4 months ago

Interesting that so many teams ranked above KU have lost in the last few days.....Duke,Indiana,Michigan,Georgetown.

Wide open this year.......KU's for the taking!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Just take care of business today, 'hawks!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm watching the game right now. I think the guys are tired. Musberger is letting the country know that KU has the ref's in their pocket. Blah, blah, but, guys quit TURNING THE BALL OVER, NOW! WAKE UP. ELIJAH, I LOVE YOU BUT GET IN THE GAME. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THE BALL. This team has all the right parts, they can as far as any previous team in KU history, if.