Kansas defeats Texas Tech, 91-63

• 2 p.m., March 14, 2013
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Stars in stripes: KU’s new duds bring shooting luck in blowout over Texas Tech

Kansas players Kevin Young, left, Travis Releford, Elijah Johnson and Ben McLemore react to a bucket and a foul by teammate Jamari Traylor against Texas Tech during the second half of the second round of the Big 12 tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 91-63 win over Texas Tech on March 14, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore

Kansas players Jeff Withey and Ben McLemore talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 91-63 victory over Texas Tech on March 14, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TTU

— Kansas University’s white camo uniforms, which made a triumphant debut in the Jayhawks’ 91-63 Big 12 tournament quarterfinal rout of Texas Tech on Thursday in Sprint Center, might not be headed to the storage closet after all.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do. I don’t like them at all, but we shot good in them,” KU coach Bill Self said after the (27-5) Jayhawks hit a sizzling 66 percent of their shots in advancing to Friday’s 6:30 p.m. semifinals versus (22-10) Iowa State.

“I’ll ask our guys what they think. I don’t know if we should sport them again or not.”

Self’s players, who not only wore adidas camo shorts and tops, but blue camo shoes and socks, looked mighty comfortable in sinking 31 of 47 shots, including nine of 18 threes. The 66-percent shooting was best-ever in a Big 12 tourney game and also tied for the best marksmanship by a KU team in the 10-year Self era.

KU also hit 66 percent against Oklahoma State on Feb. 27, 2005, in Allen Fieldhouse.

“They are a little different. The shorts feel like swimsuits,” said senior forward Kevin Young. He went 3-of-3 from the field and 3-of-4 from the line, good for nine points with three assists and two rebounds in 21 minutes.

“I kind of liked them,” said freshman forward Perry Ellis, who scored eight points off 3-of-5 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds in 14 minutes. “They are pretty cool-looking. They are light. They are all right.”

Noted freshman guard Rio Adams, who scored a career-high 11 points in five minutes: “They’re nice. They’re current. They are fine. I have no problem with ‘em.”

Or as Elijah Johnson (four points, four assists, 27 minutes) said: “I like the shorts. They are light like swimming trunks. It feels good to win regardless ... even if you’ve got on a Speedo.”

KU freshman Ben McLemore, who finished with a game-high 24 points off 8-of-12 shooting (4-8 from three) scored 12 points as KU raced to a 15-2 lead. He had 14 points off 5-of-7 shooting the first half as the Jayhawks took a 34-25 lead into the break.

“Ben got us on a roll. He helped us out offensively,” said senior center Jeff Withey, who scored nine points off 3-of-3 shooting with four rebounds and three blocks in 26 minutes. “He made it so the team had energy. Whenever he starts games off like that, it helps us.”

McLemore also had four rebounds in 32 minutes.

“We played well today. I think at Waco we learned from that game,” McLemore said of last Saturday’s 81-58 loss at Baylor. “We had really tough practices, which we needed. We came out today and played our game and came out with a win.”

Of his early play, McLemore said: “I tried to be aggressive from the gate. I tried to keep that going and get my teammates involved, too. They got me the ball. I appreciate that.”

KU had a batch of players perform well offensively. Jamari Traylor had a career-high seven points in 11 minutes, while Andrew White III hit a pair of threes and scored six points in six minutes.

“Ben got us off to a good start,” Self assessed, “then we puttered around but played a pretty good second half (57 points off 18-26 shooting). Our defense was pretty good except we fouled so much.”

Tech hit 21 of 24 free throws to KU’s 20 of 23.

The Jayhawks think they were able to put the Baylor game behind them and at the same time learn from that blowout loss.

“We came out flat against Baylor and had a couple of tough days of practice after that," Withey said. "We know we can’t come out flat because we become really average and not a very good team. We’re going to learn from our losses. During this time of the season we can’t have any more of those.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

And I think we've been so wrapped up in how ugly they are that we are not stating the obvious. Wouldn't you want to keep things consistant as possible and have as little distraction as possible heading into tourney play. Wouldn't playing in "swim trunks" cause a distraction. Don't you think the players would like to not be bothered by stupid questions about "who they're wearing?" Couldn't the change add just a little more pressure to it being one and done time?

Kye Clark 1 year, 9 months ago

Congrats to Rio. Yes it was garbage time, but I hope this can help boost his confidence & moral going forward.

Perry keeps on putting out positive performances. That's something like 4 out of his last 5. Very encouraging.

Hoping half or more of the comments WON'T be about the uniforms. We've blathered on enough about them.

KJD 1 year, 9 months ago

Just to add on, I also liked Traylor's performance off the bench tonight. 3-3 from the stripe and he is consistently active and crashing the boards. Though tonight that dribble penetration from up top to make the shot, draw the foul and complete the 3 point play was a special play.

Andrew White III reminded us of how talented of a shooter he is.

I agree about being encouraged by Ellis's play of late. 8 points, 7 boards, no turnovers in 14 minutes keeps him cooking. In the Baylor game I thought he did a real good job D'ing up a much taller and longer player in Austin. Tonight there was a point where Self had McLemore and Ellis isolated on one side of the court. Eventually Ellis passes out to Ben then sets a good screen to create a switch. Ben then takes advantage of the big man, get's to the lane and finishes with a reverse layup after going around the defensive rotation. I hope to see more of that offensive set with those two in the near future!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 9 months ago

Did anyone notice Ben starting out at the "High Post" in several sets yesterday? I used to play, and also coach, and when a player has trouble getting open, you can put them there, and it is so much harder to guard them. I have done that b4. I think we will use that set quite a bit today, to free Ben from Babb. K.U. by at least 10. Oh, and Iowa State fans and players, be careful what you wish for, because now your wish has come true. You get to play us, but when all is said and done, you will be wishing you were in the other side of the bracket!!!!!!!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 9 months ago

We have to keep wearing those uniforms because of the shooting display today. I also have been watching Ellis closely and with his recent string appears to have turned the corner with his ability to play elite Div. 1 ball. It has taken him most of the year but thank God he's (appears0 to be where we need him to be going into the tournament.

stm62 1 year, 9 months ago

It'll be interesting to see if HCBS lets the team wear the new uniforms against ISU. They may have a bigger psychological effect than most people think.

Rick Arnoldy 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll take talent over superstition any day. Especially when the superstition is bvtt ugly uniforms.

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

It would be great to see Perry be like Cole was against UNC and emerge at a huge moment. He could be the X factor between going out in the Sweet 16 and getting to the title game again.

BainDread 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not sure Rio's morals need a boost, but I hope it boosts his morale. Sorry. We know what you meant, but I couldn't help myself.

April13 1 year, 9 months ago

Try harder next time and you'll succeed. Since we are editing, what's the "it" referring to in your second sentence? The new uni's, Rio's performance, the Sprint Center?

VancouverHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

The "it" is in BainDread's first sentence. Try harder yourself next time and you'll succeed.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Or as the Stooges put it :

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

We have heard a lot about the uniforms, but I would guess that the comments on an article about the uniforms would be comments about the uniforms.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 9 months ago

It scares me how good Ben can be. If we look back, there has not been a player with a higher ceiling to come out since Vince Carter. Now this is biased I know. But Ben is an excellent shooter and an incredible athlete. A rare combo. However he is not one of the best players to come out in years because of a couple of things. One is his hands are a tad sloppy. He doesn't grab the ball when passed to him so sometimes he bobbles it. The most important thing however is he doesn't have good ball handling skills. Tech multiple times would lay off a few feet and give him his right side. He would pass out. All summer he needs to work on dribbling and shooting off the dribble. If can can improve it like he did his 3 point shot, then Ben will be one of the greatest pros to ever play. But if he doesn't, he will never be better then a a good player.

Brak 1 year, 9 months ago

Thats kinda scary that you are up to date with the current fashions trends of 12-year old boys.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

I’m up to date with fashions of 11 year old girls, and 16 year old boys. It doesn’t mean I’m scary, it means I’m a dad.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

Am I the only one who hought that Adams was going to chuck up a shot every time he touched the ball today? IMO he played as if he could shiv a git if he comes back or not. I don't think he will-Tharpe, Selden, Frankcamp-too much competition in River City. Surely he's out there tweetin away.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 9 months ago

No, he's happy, learning from the older guys and planning to stay. Reference the other article posted tonight.

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not sure whether he's happy or not, but it did seem like he was being a ball hog.

arch007bak 1 year, 9 months ago

Regardless of what you think of ours, check out Baylor's. Those are horrible - even worse than their neon highlighter uniforms.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

I like the whites. Just hate the blues with a passion!!!!

DanR 1 year, 9 months ago

Speedo™ shorts, according to Elijah. I like it!

Oh, sorry, did I forget to mention the name of whatever shoe company it was that supplied the Speedo™ shorts?

Someone say Speedo™ ?

dylans 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it's more of a "I don't give a !€%# what we're wearing. As long as we win."

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah. but they wear em well. If Drew could get those guys to play a full game like they did vs KU, they'd be a damn good team. I think they did it on their own then, Drew had nothing to do with it. Watch him on the sideline he looks & acts like he's coaching little children. Inside 2 min he's clueless so the only chance the team has is their own. He gave that friggin game to KSU with about 2 sec on the clock. Down 5 a buck 7 change-the Bears have little chance.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Just imagine how lost Scott Drew will look next year without Pierre Jackson. He's had some pretty good lead guards in his time at BU, he better find somebody quickly.

JHawk252 1 year, 9 months ago

White camo uniforms. ... Perfect, if we ever need to invade Antarctica. Otherwise, I'd prefer to stick with unadulterated crimson, blue and white.

As for the game, it was a great recovery from the Waco ambush. I'd love to see Baylor win its side of the draw, so that we can punish them and expose them as being in our league in name only.

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

"White camo uniforms. ... Perfect, if we ever need to invade Antarctica."

LOL!!!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

icthf, of course we've got to talk about the uniforms. What's the point of all the speculation before the conference tourneys and then no follow through? From what I've seen so far everybody wearing them has won their 1st game except BU. So far Cinci also lost their 2nd game in them. UCLA, ND, KU and UofL all covered ATS wearing them. BU did cover ATS today, Cinci did not, I think Cinci covered in their first game. The jams are 5-2 so far and 6-1 against the spread if I'm not mistaken, not a bad record. I thought about doing something stupid like bet on all the teams wearing them (not KU 'cause I'll never jinx the Jayhawks again, in fact I'll put some money on ISU tomorrow for the reverse jinx).

I had to edit this comment in case you read it right when I posted it.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

If Dr. Evil were discussing the uniforms he'd make a comment such as, "You could say Baylor kept their 'cool' today" in the game against Okie St.

Sarah Carr 1 year, 9 months ago

From an old alum, please - no Speedos!

Mark Wooden 1 year, 9 months ago

Great; lets spend time worrying about what uniforms to wear and not preparing for ISU.

mojayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

The Uni's reminded me a little of Carolina blue, especially the shoes. Better than if the camo colors were reversed and we wore the blue background (featured in recent pictures).

Most importantly, we shot the lights out, and I was really glad to see B Mac comfortable shooting in the Sprint Center (especially for the next 4 games). Fun game for the guys. Really looking forward to ISU. Could be the game of the tournament.

KUFan90 1 year, 9 months ago

Agree on the Carolina blue. Look at KYs shoes in that picture. I don't want the camo colors reversed, I want a darker blue for the shoes and where the uni is blue. That would be much more palatable.

Kevin Jenkins 1 year, 9 months ago

Interesting uniform. I assume KU got them for free!!! But you sure can say Cincinnati and Baylors uniforms didn't help them out. Who is designing them anyway. Anyway, now let us get on with blowing out Iowa state. And if it takes those uniforms to help, so be it. Rock Chalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

Attack mode on offense, crash the boards, and play solid defense. That's what is going to take to win the game. We have such a great team, unbeatable when focused. We are talented at every position. Should be a real good game.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed. We'll probably be shooting BACK to our average from three, so attack mode, board crashing, and tenacious defense will be even more imperative than usual in order to off set fall off in trey percentage.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't care if they shot 100% from the field, please burn those ugly uniforms! If you think those uniforms had anything to do with shooting well yesterday, then I have some swamp land in Florida you might be interested in. As I recall, in the first half the only one who could shoot worth anything was BM. As far as I-State is concerned, we will be extremely lucky to win this game. You talk about being pumped? This could be a blow-out if they get hot.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Aw, now, Fearful...OOPS! Does that say FEARLESS?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

WHAT ARE YOU ALL COMPLAINING ABOUT!!!!

Did anyone of you see Cincinnati in their "ninja" outfits...or Notre Dame in their "lime popsicle" duds??? In comparision, we look a hell of a lot better than almost all the other "adiduds".......as long as we keep the homies!!

Let's worry about Iowa State, shall we.

1] It's tough to beat a GOOD team three times in one season...and we may have to do that TWICE to win the Big 12 Tourney.

2] These guys almost beat us twice..once in Allen!!

3] The Mayor, although trailing Big Bill by a lot, is by far, the second best coach in the Conference.

4] Just a comment, but how much would any of you have bet on the combo against the KU's bench scoring 39 points and that Rio would be the second highest scorer??!! I know I'd be looking for a new "farm"!!!! :)

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Just wait till the fans see those KU snow cone swirl blues.

Now that is really going to trigger melt down mode.

I have to say I kind of like these uniforms, but think adidas is not marketing them effectively.

Market the function. Tell fans they are "high performance" materials. Make shizz up. That's what advertizing is about. Puffery.

Right now, adidas is acting like a nice girl desperate for a date and saying, "Like me, please?"

adidas has got to create a little mystery and sizzle about these uniforms.

Show the athletes, or models of athletes, wearing these KU blues at a Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break Party with about 20 hotties fawning over an Ivy League Poindexter until the KU player walks in wearing these blues. Then show the 20 hotties immediately mob the player.

Sex sells. Not stupid little variations in amounts of perforation on the jersey and quasi white tiger striping.

Sign Bar Rafeli to stand next to a KU player wearing these uniforms and have her say: "My players wear adidas uniforms, or they wear nothing at all."

This is still how you sell something new.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 9 months ago

Jaybate, you are absolutely crazy man. toooooooo dayum funny. but you might just be right. lllllllllll

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

Screw it. If we shoot like that tonight, and hopefully tomorrow, I'll buy both sets and rock them every day.

Putcha shoes on, boys, and show Iowa State how to play this game.

Stay the course. Keep the faith. Rock Chalk.

Sally Presson 1 year, 9 months ago

Perry is coming on and ready for tournament play!!! Way to go Perry!!!! Don't be stupid about talking too much about uniforms and not getting ready for ISU, of course they are getting ready for ISU, it's just the fans who are discussing the uniforms. the team knows we've got to be at our best this evening because they thought they got cheated at the last game. Well, the conveniently didn't talking about all the fouls NOT called on ISU, they were hacking and hugging like crazy and not a call, but they are still going to be ready to show us up---NOT!!! Great second half Jayhawks!!! Bennie win win, you were outstanding!!! What about Andrew, Rio & Jamari--way to get in there and make a difference!!!

Lets go Hawks and beat ISU to a pulp!!! Rock Chalk

catfiche 1 year, 9 months ago

Anybody read Joe Posnanski's article on Bill Self at NBC Sports today? It is titled, I kid you not, "The Genius of Bill Self: What makes Kansas' irrepressible head coach so consistently brilliant?" Thank God Coach Self is a humble guy or it would ruin him. That's one kudo-packed article and ya gotta love backing a team and a coach like that as much as you love being a Jayhawk and reading that article.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Just read it. Loved it. I think Posnanski is the best sports writer in America. Coach Self ain't half-bad either.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey, I am the first one to call him a genius and defend it. Who does Poz think he is stealing my bit? :-)

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Fantabulous article. Well worth the 3-page read!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"Mr. Hoiberg's Locker Room"

Part 1

INT. SPRINT LOCKER ROOM--6:00PM TONIGHT

Fred Hoiberg enters wearing an ISU letter jacket from his playing days, hangs it up in his looker, puts on an ISU yellow cardigan, removes his street shoes and dawns his slippers.

FRED

Good evening, team.

TEAM

Good evening, Coach Fred.

FRED

Tonight we are playing the University of Kansas. They are a nice bunch of boys and so are you, so we want to beat the nose dirt out of them, okay?

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

Tonight, we will as always alternate between our four man and post motion offense and and our open post motion offense and launch treys like anti-aircraft guns in a night ball bearing raid over Schweinfurt in World War II. Never say I don't try to educate and graduate my boys.

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

Now, in between launching treys, we're going to use a few tricks I learned under Larry Brown and Larry Bird and Kevin McHale while I was in the NBA. I'm going to draw up about 4 improvised plays no one has ever seen in a scout before.

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

And I want you to talk some trash like The Hick from French Lick did in his prime. I want you to walk up to KU players, act utterly confident, and say, "Hey, I'm going to run through two moving screens and then bury the ball in your face." Then I want you to do it."

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

Next, I want you to use your elbows alot like Kevin McHale did. I want a lot of contact. During periods when the referees are swallowing their whistles, I want a lot of pushing on double teams. i want you to put you hands on their faces. Not a slap mind you, but almost a slap.

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

Finally, boys, make Jeff Withey chase and set moving screens all the time. Moving screens are a Cyclone's best friend. Set them everywhere. Set them even when the ball is on the other side of the court.

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Part 2

FRED

For this game, I want you all to carry your black jacks in your right socks, and your tasers in your left socks, okay?

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

FRED

Good, boys. Now, let's go out there and shoot threes till the hogs get slopped and the Ames Strain of anthrax is released in the KU locker room, and hope folks don't notice how much we all look like one of Larry Eustachy's teams, okay?

TEAM

Yes, Coach Fred.

ANGLE ON team filing out locker room in single file, with Fred patting each player on the head, and saying, "Be good."

CLOSE ON Fred going to his locker and taking off his cardigan and putting on his tie suit coat. He adjusts his full Windsor knot, and then turns to the camera.

FRED

I want to thank all of you for coming to Mr. Hoiberg's locker room today.

(Cue the music for the end of the show)

It's such a good feeling

To know you're up five.

It's such a happy feeling:

You're trey bombing inside.

And when you trash talk ready to say,

"I think I'll make another three in your face."

It's such a good feeling,

A very good feeling,

The feeling you know

You're up five.

It's such a good feeling

To know you're in tune.

It's such a happy feeling

To find you're treys are in bloom.

And when you throw them up ready to say

"I think I'll make a dozen treys today,"

It's such a good feeling,

A very good feeling,

The feeling you know that we're friends.

ANGLE ON Fred waving bye and exiting through the locker room door to coach against KU.

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

Very Funny!! Well done, Jaybate!! ISU has really started to annoy me.....could they be the "poor man's Missouri"???

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

theend,

Not sure. Can you crack corn into meth?

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

HA!!! Maybe. Have you ever seen the banners in their arena? They are absolutely hilarious!! Apparently.....you get a banner for just showing up and putting your ugly uniform on correctly. Cracks me up......so pathetic.

swjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Ugliest unis I've seen on a Jayhawk. I was totally repulsed until I saw Baylors' clown suits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Huh. I liked these compared to the blue numbers on blue uniform. You couldn't even see their names on those!!!!

LeadFarmer 1 year, 9 months ago

For anyone who thinks that there's a correlation between fashion and performance, reality is going to give you a rude awakening when you finally grow up.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 9 months ago

More annoying? Unis or the pop up ad that takes me directly to App Store everytime I log on to LJW?

Jonathan Unruh 1 year, 9 months ago

Rio if your reading this, just wait your turn. You will be a great player at Kansas! Great Job! Everyone needs to be guarding the perimeter tonight! Defense will win this game!

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

ISU probably hung a banner in their arena after winning yesterday. These losers put up banners for anything......I guess because their history is so pathetic.

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice warm up game yesterday......I think it will get KU confident and fired up. And I actually think they play better with fewer days off.

Pretty good game by Perry Ellis yesterday. He shoots better further away from the basket. Maybe that was just a fluke yesterday.....but he has a nice jump shot and also a good free throw shooter.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks.kD...great article. Bill James and I lived in Stephenson Scholarship Hall from 1967-71. I was a soph when he came in as a freshman and we became great friends because neither of us had money, a car, a girl friend or much time to screw around.

What we did both have was a deep-seeded love of sports. We used to argue Royals/Cardinals and Chiefs/Big Red all the time. He always won the football arguments and held his own with the bsaeball ones.

Bill is brilliant......and I mean SuperNova Explosion brilliant. If he says he can't figure out how HCBS does it, no one can.

Bill, if you read this, The Flash says Howdy!!

Phognatic 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry, didn't see konkeyDong already posted above.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 9 months ago

One of the best reads on HCBS I've seen. Thanks for the link.

Hwymn,

Dude, Go find a life.

miamimick 1 year, 9 months ago

Anyone know where to see tonight's game online? I'm in Brazil and the ESPN site doesn't let you watch online outside of USA.