Baylor defeats Kansas, 81-58

• 5 p.m., March 9, 2013
  • The Ferrell Center, Waco, TX

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Bear-ly worth celebrating: KU blown out by Baylor but ties for Big 12 crown

Elijah Johnson (15) leaves the court as Baylor fans surround Baylor players at half court after KU's 81-58 loss to the Baylor Bears Saturday in Waco.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after loss to Baylor

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 81-58 loss to Baylor on March 9, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-BU

— There was no dancing, no high-fiving, no hugging, no hoisting of the Big 12 championship trophy in Kansas University’s basketball locker room on Saturday night in Ferrell Center.

“It doesn’t feel like we won it at all, really,” KU senior center Jeff Withey said after the Jayhawks’ 81-58 blowout loss at Baylor.

“We tied with Kansas State (for league crown). It’s cool to win nine in a row, but it just stinks to lose.”

All the celebrating took place on the court, where the home team’s students were invited by BU coach Scott Drew. He grabbed a microphone and asked the students to join his (18-13, 9-9) players, who may have claimed an NCAA Tournament berth by beating the No. 4-ranked (26-5, 14-4) Jayhawks.

KU’s players, meanwhile, were left to wonder what the heck happened just hours after Kansas State lost to Oklahoma State — a loss that guaranteed KU a share of its ninth straight conference crown no matter the outcome of Saturday’s BU game.

“I didn’t watch it, but had people text me. They said K-State (also 14-4) lost to Oklahoma State,” Withey said. “I don’t think it affected us. If anything it should have given us more energy to play harder (knowing a win would give KU the undisputed crown).

“We were talking in the locker room beforehand. Maybe we thought it was ours already. Baylor didn’t (and) beat us up,” Withey added.

The Bears handed the Jayhawks their second-worst loss in the 10-year Bill Self era. Texas beat KU by 25 points (80-55) on Feb. 25, 2006, in Austin, Texas.

“I went in and told my team, ‘Hey, bad job, but congratulations,’ one of those deals,” Self said. “I’m happy we got a ninth. I will never apologize for winning a league championship. It’s not entirely the way we scripted it, which is obvious.”

BU’s Cory Jefferson, who had never hit a three in his career, went 3-for-3 from three and scored 25 points with seven rebounds and three blocks. Guard Pierre Jackson hit 11 of 13 shots, good for 28 points with 10 assists and six rebounds. He was four boards shy of a triple double.

“They were terrific. They totally dominated the game,” Self said, adding “hell no” with a laugh when asked if he thought Jefferson could shoot that well.

Self said he didn’t think the Jayhawks relaxed just because they knew they’d claim at least a tie for the league title no matter what happened against Baylor.

“I would think it’d play to our favor,” Self said. “I’d like to blame it on that. I can’t blame it on that. We have played with our backs to the wall (since three-game losing streak). We had the golden opportunity and didn’t jump through the hoop.

“If K-State would have won today, this would have been the pressure of an NCAA Tournament game. You’d have to win to get a piece of it. It would have put us in a one-and-done mindset. We didn’t have that as much. It seems to me it’d be easier to play.

“I’m not Joe Lunardi (of bracketology fame) ... Baylor needed this game. They got it. They deserve to be in the tournament. I think this will put them in the field.”

KU, which was led by Ben McLemore’s 23 points, actually had a chance to win this one down the stretch. The Jayhawks cut a 17-point deficit to six (61-55 at 6:21), courtesy of an 11-0 run (Perry Ellis six points, McLemore five).

Little did anybody know BU would dominate the rest of the game, finishing with 20 points to KU’s three.

“When we cut it to six, I still thought we were still climbing a pretty steep hill,” Self said. “We were in the game, we just had to get stops. Isaiah Austin made a great left-handed hook shot (to start game-ending run). It was a pro move. We gave them four points right after that with our offense. We had a chance to get back in it multiple times and didn’t take advantage. They made plays. They had two players play about as well as any two have played against us in a long time on the same team.”

Asked what happened after KU cut it to six, Withey noted: “Every time we did something good, they did something better. It’s all defense.”

BU hit 57.7 percent of its shots to KU’s 37.5 percent. Both teams hit six threes, KU in 19 attempts and Baylor in 12. Freshman Ellis finished with 12 points, while Elijah Johnson had 10 and Withey eight for KU.

“I’m not happy,” Self said. “I’m a lot happier than I would be if it was different and we finished second. Now we have a chance to go to Kansas City (for Big 12 tournament) and see who the best team is basically.”

KU, as the No. 1 seed in the Big 12 Tournament, will play at 2 p.m. Thursday against the winner of Wednesday’s game between Texas Tech and West Virginia. If KU wins, it would play in the 6:30 p.m. semifinals Friday against either Oklahoma or Iowa State. The finals are 5 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

My biggest reaction to this game is "Boy, glad I didn't spend $200 on tickets to go see it."

This year is not exactly full of dominating teams. Gonzaga has 2 losses, Duke 4, and Memphis 4, the rest of the top 25 have at least five.

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

This loss is just like a few years ago with Texas Tech. Last game, we'd already assured we were champs...lost to bottom tier team. Actually worse than this loss, as Baylor was on fire and is really a better team than that TTU team. We started out playing well, but they were smoking. We let it fall apart in the second half.

Bottom line is it will effect very little. A #1 Seed is nice because it is a self fulfilling prophecy - the first two teams you play are usually not very good! This may be a blessing in disguise as it will take a little pressure off of the team.

A loss in the B12 tournament may slip us to a #3 seed, but very little difference between a #2 and a #3. Luck of the draw is more important.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 1 month ago

2013 Big 12 post season tournament - What? No articles or conversations regarding seedings, match-ups, predictions, etc? I will say that winning it this year would be a huge boost to our confidence. Lose and it may be a true sign of our "weak" mental toughness.

Just sayin'.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 1 month ago

Random Thoughts:

In the last 9 years (2005) KU has won the Big 12 Title 9 times, and the post season tournament 5 times. Great percentages!

2014-2015 Roster (regardless of Randle, Wiggings) -

PG: Tharpe (Sr), Adams (Jr), Mason (So) SG: Selden (So), White (Jr.), Frankamp (So) SF: Greene (So), PF: Ellis (Jr.), Traylor (Jr.) C : Lucas (So), Embiid (So)

I'm already excited for 2014-2015!

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 1 month ago

If Kstate fans are celebrating over this co-championship, man you guys are fricking worthless. I'm embarrassed to even call this our 9th.....

sucks to win like this so I have no idea how hardup you people are for a championship.....

GreatJake 1 year, 1 month ago

Perry keep it up. KU will need u the rest of March and first Monday in April. Thanks Ben. RCJKU

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

Lets see, Elijah Johnson 5 Star Recruit, Perry Ellis McDonald's All-American 5 Star Recruit, Ben McLemore, 5 Star Recruit and Player of the Year Candidate. Jeff Withey, Nation's leading shot blocker and Player of the Year Candidate. Andrew White, Mr. Basketball, Virginia 4 Star Recruit, Rio Adams, Mr. Basketball Washington State, 4 Star Recruit, Naadir Tharpe, 4 Star Recruit, Landen Lucas, heavily recruited by Duke, 4 Star Recruit (Redshirt, learning the system) Travis Releford, 5th Year Senior 4 Star Recruit. Looks good to me.

In tough times, that's when we find out who the mediocre fans are! For some reason, there are those that think every game should be the same results as the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals. Now what's the fun in that? It is competition, that's why I appreciate every win, get upset with losses, but I try to quickly move on to the next game. If I can cheer for Kansas when they when, then I can support them when they lose. I think being a Kansas Jayhawk Fan is simply the best!

yates33333 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't think Self should be criticized at all. He has done a really good job with some really mediocre players. His bench is as a whole piss poor. His starting five, with two exceptions, is nothing to write home about and these "exceptions" are all that exceptional. You might be critical of his recruiting for this season but that is all. He has done a very good job as a floor coach no matter what happens. No I am not his dad.

William Blake 1 year, 1 month ago

What became apparent to me in this game is our defense is not effective when all players don't come ready to play. Great defense comes from a team all bringing intensity, and some players didn't bring it yesterday. It doesn't take long, even for a team like Baylor, to figure out how to exploit the holes that appear each possession.

Jackson and Jefferson smoked us all day. It didn't really matter who we put on them because we didn't have good team defense to support ball denial on either player.

People will argue if this game was important or not. In my opinion, every game is important to players who have self-pride. I never liked to lose at ball, backgammon, or anything else where it plays out to winning and losing. I will never understand players who don't want to win at everything and at all times.

But maybe I'm the oddball... I can argue with cab drivers in any country over small change just because I can.

danno1313 1 year, 1 month ago

A short March ahead I m afraid.

southwindjay 1 year, 1 month ago

uninspiring at best. Brings to mind the saying "come big or stay home" and with this performance we should have stayed home.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 1 month ago

Did anybody notice that P. Jackson has not been mentioned as a front runner for Big 12 Player of the Year Honors. I know a lot of it is based on how your team does in the league, but in reality, it is not his fault they have not been winning. Even Bill Self said earlier in the week, that he thought the race was between Smart, McGruder, Jeff, and Ben. You know Scott Drew played that interview to Jackson at least a dozen times. Remember, we tried really hard to recruit Jackson to K.U. Anyway, Jackson had something to prove, and to me, he got his point across. He leads the league in both scoring and assists. If it was just scoring, then to me, he is not the best player. But when you also add in leading in assists, he is the best, hands down. But I still hope Jeff wins it. lol Ben needs another year in College.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 1 month ago

Funny when were were winning 90% of you posters were no where to be found. But after every loss, yall are the first to preach your doom and gloom. We have won a bunch more then we have lost.

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 1 month ago

There were officiating errors in the KU-Baylor game. Of course there are in every game but apparently it only matters at the end of a game and if it benefits KU.

fiala 1 year, 1 month ago

Bill Self tactics..... It's ok, we'll bounce back..... Get serious, KU fans. This game revealed a lot of the Jayhawks' vulnerabilities; vulnerabilities that will be exposed again and again in the B12 tournament and the NCAA tournament. Winning the B12 tournament is anything but a sure thing for KU. Fans need to climb out of their bubble world and realize that.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

This game gave me deja vu to the 2009 game against Texas Tech where KU had a chance to win the league outright after clinching a share earlier in the day and to a couple of Big 12 tournaments where KU hasn't had much depth and Self basically gives the team a night off. Controversial I know, but Self has a track record of doing this at least two other times.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Didn't something very similar happen to Duke a few weeks ago in Florida? They survived, we will too.

Kirkwood 1 year, 1 month ago

Big disappointment,,, The Big Xll Conference Title - outright, was ours for the taking. Apparently this was not valuable enough for our guys to bring a level of desire and determination to the floor to make a statement. I LOVE everything Jayhawk, but I have a hard time choking down anything LESS than ALL OUT EFFORT AND DESIRE representing the Crimson and Blue. There is NO EXCUSE for the half-hearted performance the Jayhawks mailed in Saturday in Waco. Note to players: When excuses become stronger than desire,,, GAME OVER. I expect that from here on out, your EFFORT and DETERMINATION will leave no one, and I do mean NO ONE, questioning your HEART and DESIRE!! ROCK CHALK!!

DaNeille Davis 1 year, 1 month ago

No team has ever frustrated me more than this team. I've never seen a team with no killer instint or no one to take over a game like this one. Nice guys finish last. This team will be lucky to make it out of the first round of the ncaa tournament. Grow some balls boys and frickin play like you want to win...not like you're afraid to lose!

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

Withey looked slow. EJ tried getting his own car started too much early on (as opposed to getting others going). Early foul trouble. HCBS not adjusting Defense. Many bobbled catches by almost all of KU. Weak ball protection from BMac. Hot shooting by a couple bears... all equals an embarrassing butt whipping.

Now's a perfect time to be hiding (wearing camo)...

I'm pulling for a 2 seed in the NCAA's... a No 1 seed might be hard for these hawks to roll with, IMO.

Ellis looked like a different player, hopefully something we'll see more.

Slick50 1 year, 1 month ago

It's pretty clear that all but two freshmen mailed this one in. I hope the seniors decide that senior night wasn't the crowning achievement of the season and play harder from here on out.

What a weak effort.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

"Emergency Loss Recovery Kit: Recommended Contents"

~Summer sausage/sharp cheddar/2008 championship DVD

~clothes for jogging/contraceptive

~SmartPhone with KenPom Link in favorites/Fran Fraschilla dart board

~Laptop with KU Championship Wallpaper/Nude Celebrity Photo link

~Snow shovel/Lover waiting in double tub filled with crimson and blue bubble bath

hammerhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I didn't like the outcome of yesterday's game at all. And when the opportunity to claim the 9th became possible I would have thought that would have been more aggressive to get it. I'm having trouble thinking this edition will do much with the coming tourney. I know this looks to be an anybody can win tourney, but still thinking KU will go deep is difficult to grasp. Even the Big 12 tourney.

Oh well. I'll be rooting for the Mighty Kansas Jayhawks from the sunny, warm Texas beach. Maybe the rout yesterday will spur something positive. Go Big Blue.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

Wow...Lunardi STILL has KU as the #1 in the South (Dallas) even after the Baylor butt-whoopin'.

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

First off, Baylor's win got them in the conversation to be one of the last teams chosen for the Big Dance. Secondly, they reside somewhere between NIT and NCAA Tournament, with the edge going to the NIT. They are not very good. They had a good game, at home, on Senior Night. Lastly, the sky is not falling. We did not get up for the game. There was no energy, no fight. We looked like we were full of barbecued brisket! This is the same team, that won 17 straight. This is the same team that won 7 in a row and has won their 9th Straight Big XII title. KSU this is their first ever. That title they won in 1977 was in the Big 8, not the same thing. They proved they could beat everyone in the Big XII, except Kansas. We are the Number 1 seed in the Big XII Tourney. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Releford plays awesome in Kansas City, Perry Ellis seems ready to ball. Jeff Withey can still block shot and is effective from 10-15 feet, just needs to stay out of foul trouble. We have Mr. Big Shot Elijah Johnson, who has the ability to take over games. Also, having Ben McLemore go off like "The Rifleman" is always a possibility.

What this team needs is energy and focus from Kevin Young, 10 points and lock down defense from Travis Releford, and Naadir Tharpe to get in the lane and splash a few open 3's, when EJ needs a breather.

Coach Self knows what he is doing. There are no more home court games. Neutral court from this point forward and with the possibility of the next 5 games in Kansas City's Sprint Center, I say advantage Jayhawks!

johnnyphoton 1 year, 1 month ago

Could it be that Scott Drew is now a coaching genius? Heck no. Baylor had to play lights out and they did. They wanted and needed this game. Is that an indictment on this Jayhawk team? Depends on your view. No one wants to share this title, but these guys showed their mettle in Ames and Stillwater. After KU lost it's third straight game I would have gladly taken a tie for the league crown considering what they had schedule wise. Keep plugging away, Hawks. There's a lot to play for.

Kevin Crook 1 year, 1 month ago

This isn't the YMCA. It's time for the Big 12 to stop awarding trophies and sharing titles with teams that tie for the best record in the league, especially when there is a clear winner in the tie-breaker. If we had split with KSU it would make sense to share it, or if the league didn't have the home and home series like they used to, it made a little sense to share them, and yes, KU has claimed shared titles when we had lost to the team we tied, but it's time to quit this nonsense. Of course if we hadn't laid an egg at TCU none of this would be being mentioned.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 1 month ago

I have said this since the loss, that the TCU game would come back to bite KU in the butt. Giving KSU a share of the title was a down-right shame, especially after reading the arrogant comments that KU fans posted on the ESPN KSU/OSU site after KSU's loss. The bad losses to TCU and Baylor will drop KU to a #2 seed pending how they play in the Big XII. They have the potential to fall to a #3 seed after a loss to Oklahoma or ISU in KC. The latter team will claim they already beat KU twice and the former split. I just fear that KU ability to lay a stinker at inopportune times may lead to a repeat of Duke and Missouri during last year's NCAA tournament.

I will repeat the how can a team not come out fired up when playing for an outright championship and a #1 seed? It is clear that KU does not have the guard play to make a serious run and get back to the final four. Witness what happens when KU goes up against an experience and talented point guard. KU has not won championships by shooting a bunch of threes. The high low game was non-existent and that is normally when KU is at their best. The loss of Peters before the season and the delay in the development of Traylor and Ellis has been a problem and puts to much pressure on the wing players to make shots. Outside of McLemore (and Releford when is actually aggressive and involved in the game offensively) I would not count on game in and game our guards shooting a high percentage from outside.

And finally the streak of Big XII championship will likely becoming to an end. It has been an impressive run. Even with a strong recruiting class the number of returning players with meaningful playing time is a huge concern. Self will be challenged to win with a bunch of Freshman, no matter how talented. That has never been his recipe for success. Unless there is a tremendous improvement between now and the beginning of the next conference game by White, Traylor, Ellis, and possibly Adams, if he has learned anything from his predecessors about earning Self's trust (aka Tharpe from last year), then it might be Self's first rebuilding year.

Kye Clark 1 year, 1 month ago

The aspect of this game that has me worried is how Pierre Jackson was able to do whatever he wanted to do, all game long. We've seen this before, where KU has no answer for a great PG: Marcus Smart. It's also eerily similar to the OSU loss in that superb PG play was coupled with another player torching us from beyond the arc, this time Corey Jefferson playing the role of Markel Brown (although Jefferson's performance pretty much came out of nowhere whereas Brown's wasn't a surprise). The good news: Jackson & Smart are two of the better PGs in the country, so it's possible we don't run into someone who can burn us like that in the tourney, or at least not before we make a deep run. The bad news: if we do run into that type of PG and can't knock him off his game we're in trouble.

If we meet Baylor in the tournament I want to see KY send a message to Jackson like he did Smart when he knocked him on his butt early in the OSU rematch.

ParisHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

This is not a great team, just a very good team.

The conference streak matters a lot, and it's still going. First mission accomplished.

The BIG 12 Tournament now matters.

As far as the NCAAs, there is no great team this year so a very good team could get very lucky - or could flame out the first weekend.

I'm setting the bar at 2+ wins per tournament. Anything more and I'm a happy camper.

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

I looked at my brother with 10 minutes left and said "does Kevin have a rebound yet?" To which he responded "no". Kevin Young was absolutely owned all game long. He struggles against big physical guys.

Born_And_Raised_A_KU_Fan 1 year, 1 month ago

How about instead of putting all the blame on the players, we put some blame on Coach Self where it belongs. How does he not have the team ready to go against an inferior Baylor team? (Or an inferior TCU team, for that matter?) I think there was a problem with coaching and motivation.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

They needed this after getting swollen egos that they were developing after consecutive blowouts.

doolindalton 1 year, 1 month ago

It's hard to believe Self could sit before those reporters and calmly analyze this game as if one of the teams was not his own. Perhaps this was not as bad as an effort as the TCU game, but it was a reasonably close second in terms of the lack of effort and execution.

KU was absolutely horrible on defense and not much better on the other end of the floor. I've never seen a Self coached team allow so many unguarded and easy shots and look so pathetic trying to run their half-court sets, either turning the ball over or taking a rushed shot. KU looked like Baylor is supposed to and they looked like us. He's already used the Topeka YMCA analogy, but something equally sweeping and devastating was needed to sum up the effort (or lack thereof) and reset the team 's focus for the post season.

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is falling. The sky is....

OK it's a loss, a bad loss, but oh well. Go home review tape get better from it.

It was a bad storm of a game. They were playing to not go to the NIT. We were playing for....yeah well been there done that.

And for those who say this feels like a tainted title cause KU is sharing it with ksu. It would be the 3rd time in those 9 years that KU has shared a Conference Title. The others are OU and UT.

On the bright side of life, ksu and mu both lost yesterday too.

So don't jump, or pull the rope to tight. Just sit back and wait til Thursday.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

The refs basically gave this game to Baylor. Withey got fouls just by looking at someone. Total BS. Well lets hope Coach kicks some dirt around in practice and gets those guys ready to win the Conf. Championship and subsequently make some noise in the big dance!
Oh yah, Hey Apherse, Piss off you loser!

Jack Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

JW ~ 34 min. - 3 shots TR-EJ ~ 68 min. - 4-19 KY ~ 15 min. 2 shots KU bench (other than Ellis) ~ 2 pts. Baylor ~ 58%

YIKES!!! Where the___ did that come from?

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

Top 10 reasons we shot craps against BU:

1. Just watched K-State shoot craps.
  2. Too many lectures about the merits of the high-low.
  3. Too many plates of nachos.
  4. Worn out from studying.
  5. Just watched Mizzou shoot craps.
  6. Eyes not adjusted to neon.
  7. Too much NASCAR.
  8. Cartoon Saturday.
  9. Confused by "spring forward/fall back" discussion.
  10. Homesick.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 1 month ago

A team that can lose to TCU this year can lose to any major or mid-level team by any number of points. This team has a real problem facing it. On any given night it can collapse, and obviously does.

Tophawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Time to move on,don't let this loss compound things into more losses(our 3 straight losses) after we lost to Okie State.. we won our 9th straight leaque title!!.. concentrate on the Big12 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament now...good omen: win 9 straight games from here on out after winning 9 straight leaque titles = a NCAA Title..

don't get down guys..behind ya 100% :)

jhawkr 1 year, 1 month ago

Ryan_32, I can't say I agree or disagree with you. A lot of what you've said I've thought or said during the year.

Today good old-fashioned karma and a lack of pride beat us. Between lucky wins at ISU and OSU, the refs for sure weren't calling anything our way till it was too late in the game to matter.

EJ and Releford were no-shows as EJ came crashing back to earth after his long lasting 3 game binge. Withey continues to be a shot blocker, but not a quality defender. Teams have figured out to drive, drive and drive some more to the bucket on us as our man to man is so stellar. Whatever happended to switching up defenses every few times up the court to confuse the other team ? Nothing done today confused Baylor.

And did anyone notice that Coach Self seemed to mail it in early on in this game. He just didn't seem as animated this game as normal and I kept thinking he was going to get a technical in the 2nd half to spark them. Heck who could have blamed him for a couple of T's.

On top of all that Big Ben finally had a quality performance in a road game like we hadn't seen in a while. Too bad the rest of the KU boys with the exception of Ellis couldn't join him.

I generally prefer a loss during the Big 12 tournament just prior to the big dance to wake the squad up. This year that loss hopefully while extremely pathetic will wake the boys up for a healthy Big Dance run.

Ryan Michael 1 year, 1 month ago

The worrisome part about this isn't that we lost to Baylor... It's not that we were actually embarrassed by Baylor... The worrisome part is that we have on multiple occasions this season been embarrassed by terrible teams, and we have not one single player on the team who has the fire to kill or be killed.

This team has no killer instinct. None at all. My biggest worry is that we lose to Loyola Marymount (someone like them) in the first round... Why? Because our players are all p you ss ies.

I hate to have to put it that way, but the fact of the matter is when the stuff hits the fan, everybody on this team looks to someone else to bail them out. For the first time in my entire life, I am actually looking forward to this season being over. Regardless of the result. First round loss or National Championship. I just can't wait to have some players that have balls and something to prove.

AZHawk72 1 year, 1 month ago

We played like a team that already had reached it's goal. There just wasn't any sense of urgency throughout--unless it was a bus ride to the airport.

Coach Self is now carrying a very valuable teaching tool--do this again and we'll be cleaning out the lockers. Losing to the same team in the semis of the tournament last year was the last loss until the national championship, and we weren't supposed to lose the first nor make it to the last.

I'm feeling some creepy coincidences here.

stm62 1 year, 1 month ago

Ho hum, just another title. (just kidding of coarse).

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 1 month ago

This teams goal every year is to secure the "one seed" in Kansas City. Once that was done, it had to be REALLY hard to find the energy to face a team you'd just blown out a few weeks back. On the other hand, this was Baylors' only shot at an NCAA invitation.

So what!!!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

The TCU loss comes back to haunt us..still, #9 and a high NCAA seed, plus 26 victories going into the BIg 12 Tourney with this talent level is indeed a testament to Bill Self and his staff.

I defy any coach in America do more with less than Bill has!!!

Larry Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

Still a 1 seed going into the Conference tourney. A couple of wins and we will be fine.

Stephan123 1 year, 1 month ago

At least Perry Ellis displays continued improvement. His offensive efforts will be needed come tournament time.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I have a hard time seeing us lose to Tech or WV, but Iowa State SHOULD rout us! :(

Paul Rupp 1 year, 1 month ago

Tonight, hopefully not forever, cheapens the streak?

Really, Big 12 Champs without the ability to close and play with a little pride?

nostradavid 1 year, 1 month ago

When have we seen 2 guys on the same team shoot 11 of 13 ? Ouch!

The Waco Worm has turned !

Coach Drew

Coach Drew by nostradavid

robertson4ku 1 year, 1 month ago

Can someone tell me why KU didn't go zone when it was obvious to a blind man that they couldn't stop Baylor playing man to man!! Nobody could stay in front of Jackson and noone could stop Corey Jefferson on the blocks. Seemed like our team was perfectly content with sharing a title. Me on the other hand feels like sharing a title is like kissing your sister, well maybe even worse cuz it is K-State we have to share it with! Hell it even seemed like our coach didn't care all that much, He never seemed to get very upset and like I mentioned earlier wouldn't switch up our defense. Oh well atleast we still have tourney play!! Come on boys lets refocus and make a run in the tourney.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 1 month ago

Who were those guys that came out of the locker room for the second half? Certainly not the young men we've known the past two years.

fabio 1 year, 1 month ago

iamakufan hopes KU beats Baylor next time they play. Earth shattering. Thank you for posting that.

iamakufan 1 year, 1 month ago

We have to give credit to Baylor. They've had a rough year but today they showed how good they can be when they play together as a team. This was an old fashioned butt whoopin'. Congratulations to Baylor but I still hope we beat them next time we meet them.

theend 1 year, 1 month ago

This was a really easy win for Baylor......and that in itself is quite troubling.

But not much to do about it now.

I really don't want the #1 seed anyway. I can't imagine we will get it now.....not after a loss like this.

Well....I guess we will see what happens in KC.

johninkc1 1 year, 1 month ago

Wait, did I somehow get re-routed to the women's track and field article.

johninkc1 1 year, 1 month ago

Hope the players enjoy practice the next few days. I am glad I won't be there. The players should have something to prove. This team can be good when they play as a team and average when they don't. Today, average would have got beat by 10, not 23. OUCH!

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

I was happy when K-State got beat and celebrated number 9. Then watched our stinker in Waco. The guys seemed flat to me. How about a big Congratulations to the Lady Jayhawk's for making it a great night for KU!

Women's Indoor Track & Field Team Final Scores http://bit.ly/10nCf3S:

56 Oregon

44 Kansas

43 LSU

42.5 Arkansas

Kansas Individual Champions:

Long Jump, Andrea Geubelle, Sr

Triple Jump, Andrea Geubelle, Sr

Pole Vault, Natalia Bartnovskaya, Jr

Here is how all the Lady J's finished:

Weight: 6-Alena Krechyk, Sr (3 points)

Long Jump: 1-Andrea Geubelle, Sr (10 points); 3-Francine Simpson, Sr (6 points)

60 M: 11-Paris Daniels, Sr

200 M: 8-Paris Daniels, Sr (1 point)

Shot Put: 12-Anastasiya Muchkayev, Fr

Pole Vault: 1-Natalia Bartnovskaya, Jr (10 points); NH-Demi Payne, Jr

Triple Jump: 1-Andrea Geubelle, Sr (10 points)

400 M: 6-Diamond Dixon, Jr (3 points)

4x400 M: 8-1) Denesha Morris Sr; 2) Paris Daniels Sr; 3) Taylor Washington Sr; 4) Diamond Dixon Jr (1 point)

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 1 month ago

And now we get to look forward to groovy new camo unis!

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

Time to move on and get ready for the Big XII Tournament! Let's go Jayhawks! Hopefully, the first of 5 straight games in Kansas City!