Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bill Self: Landen Lucas will ‘be a load’

KU coach counting on freshman to help inside next year

Landen Lucas, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound forward from Portland, Oregon, is one of seven scholarship freshmen on this year's KU team.

photo

Lawrence Journal-World

Landen Lucas, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound forward from Portland, Ore., is one of seven scholarship freshmen on this year's Kansas team.

So far, Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self has signed five high school basketball players in the recruiting Class of 2013 — guards Conner Frankamp, Frank Mason and Wayne Selden, forward Brannen Greene and center Joel Embiid.

Scholarship offers also have been extended to forwards Julius Randle and Andrew Wiggins.

In Self’s perfect world, those seven players would be making their KU debuts in 2013-14 with another newcomer — red-shirt freshman power forward Landen Lucas — who has practiced but not played in games this season.

“He’s doing great. He’s becoming more explosive,” Self said of Lucas on Tuesday’s “Hawk Talk” radio show. “He’s probably the toughest kid we have inside without question. He is a presence. He needs to get a little more athletic, quicker twitch in some areas, but he’s really gained on that. I think he’ll be a load. I think he’s going to be a really nice player.”

The 6-10, 240-pound Lucas averaged 21.0 points, 14.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks a game his senior year at Westview High in Portland, Ore.

Routine works: Self on his radio show was asked about his habit of blowing air into his hands as he walks through the northwest tunnel to the home team’s bench before games in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Before it (fieldhouse) was renovated, your hands would get cold. The doors had to be open,” Self said. “It’s worked pretty well over the years, so I kept doing it. I’m not superstitious, (but) certain routines work better than others.”

Long hair: Self joked about Kevin Young’s ever-expanding afro hairdo.

“I think he worries about his hair a little too much. Did you see his brother’s hair?” Self said of Free State High freshman Donovan Young, who also has an afro. “I told Kevin, ‘Your brother is kicking your butt (in hair-growing contest).’

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we have no headbands. I haven’t had to say anything about it, since nobody’s asked me (permission to wear them), but Kevin ... oh my gosh, he’s tested my patience with growing his hair out. You see it when it’s combed. I see it every day when it’s not (at practice).

“He is absolutely great,” Self added. “He loosens things up around the locker room.”

Randle in burger game: Randle, a 6-9 forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, on Wednesday was added to the East roster of the McDonald’s All-America Game (April 3, Chicago’s United Center).

Rivals.com’s No. 2 rated player will announce his college choice on March 20 on ESPNU. He is considering KU, Kentucky, Florida, Texas, N.C. State and Oklahoma.

“I’m not sure where I want to go,” Randle told USA Today. “But this can be a stressful thing, and I set the date to give myself a cutoff for a decision. I don’t want it to linger on. I feel like I’m confident enough in myself that by that time I’ll feel 100 percent about where I’ll go. For now, I’m just enjoying being a McDonald’s All American. I’m so happy right now, it’s a great feeling because this is something that I’ve always dreamed of. I wasn’t sure if it was gonna happen or not, but now that it has I’m just so blessed. It’s an honor.”

Player of year: ESPN’s Jay Bilas on Monday selected KU’s Ben McLemore as his Big 12 player of the year. Jason King of ESPN chose KU’s Jeff Withey. Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy lists Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart as one of four finalists for national player of the year, with Trey Burke of Michigan, Victor Oladipo of Indiana and Otto Porter of Georgetown.

This, that: Former KU coach Larry Brown’s SMU team defeated former Jayhawk player Danny Manning’s Tulsa team, 71-65, Wednesday in Tulsa. Earlier this season Tulsa defeated SMU in Dallas. Tulsa is 15-14 (7-8); SMU is 15-15 (5-10) ... Frankamp’s Wichita North team fell to Blue Valley West, 41-35, in the first round of the Class 6A state tournament. The Wichita Eagle reports that Frankamp had 11 points off 4-of-13 shooting. He was 3-of-11 from three.

Comments

Jay Dogger 1 year, 8 months ago

Bummer about Frankamp. I guess his high school career is over. Did he ever break the state record for points? Can't wait to see him in crimson and blue!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, pretty sure that he broke the record about a week or two ago.

Philip Atkinson 1 year, 8 months ago

Frankamp broke the Wichita City League career record set by P. Ellis last year. Semi Ojeleye has the all time state record. He scored 32 last night in 4A state in Salina. Ottawa will play Andale in the semi-final game tomorrow.

Michael Leiker 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought the kid from Ottawa broke that record here recently

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Uh, 4A. Playing against rural schools. Not near the same as 6A ball.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

It's cyclical just like the BCS conferences in college basketball trade power from year to year. There really isn't much difference from the top schools in 3A-6A (The ones who win State Championships), but it is cyclical. Sometimes 4A has all the talent. Sometimes 5A has all the talent. Sometimes 6A has all the talent.

You don't have to agree with me, which you probably won't, but it's a debate that's been going on for decades. Kansas really needs to go down to 4 classes. 6 classes is ridiculous. Combine 5A and 6A. Combine 3A and 4A and keep the rest the same.

justanotherfan 1 year, 8 months ago

HEM,

I know you love Wichita City ball, but you seem to go out of your way to discredit Ojeleye. The kid is averaging nearly 40 per game this year. He's made it pretty clear he's an elite level player. Knock off the "rural school" thing and accept the fact that, regardless of what class he plays in, he's probably the best player in the state.

justanotherfan 1 year, 8 months ago

For what its worth, Rivals agrees with you, ranking Frankamp 31 and Ojeleye 33. Scout has Ojeleye at 25 and Frankamp at 44. ESPN has Ojeleye at 36, Frankamp at 47 (ESPN rates them both as an 88, so its not a large distinction).

I think Ojeleye is a little better and is more suited for the college game with his size and strength. Frankamp is the better shooter, but I could see him struggling in college at first given his size and build. Ojeleye could struggle against top notch talent on both ends of the floor every night. Neither is an elite national player (top 20 or 25 in the nation). They are both pretty clearly in that next group of players (25-50), and those players are generally hard to separate.

I just don't think its fair to say because Frankamp was a 6A player and Ojeleye is a 4A player that Frankamp is automatically the better player, as some have stated on here.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree the competition is not the same, but it still counts toward the state scoring record. I know Frankamp was about to pass Ellis for the Wichita "all city" scoring record. According to the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame, the all time HS scoring leader is Josh Reid from Brewster (93-96) with 2,554. I don't know when this was last updated.

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe, Semi broke the state scoring record. Frankamp broke the city league record previously held by Perry Ellis.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree and disagree. I'm sure many NFL coaches and GM's said that playing at Mississippi Valley State University was not the same as playing in one of Division I's major conferences.

Still, it produced arguably the best player at his position, of his time, or ever... Jerry Rice.

Michael Leiker 1 year, 8 months ago

Swear he says state scoring record in the above post...maybe I'm reading wrong.

kranny 1 year, 8 months ago

Uh, Scott City a 3a school defeated Derby a 6a school and dodge city a 6a school and only lost frankamps north team by 4 in ot. 6a ball ain't all that.

JD Roth 1 year, 8 months ago

Semi Ojeleye is the best player in Kansas High School Basketball period. He broke Josh Reid's state record for total points earlier at Eudora and set the season record with a 32 point performance Wednesday against Anderson County at the 4A State Tournament. You are misinformed HighEliteMajor, Semi can do it all. Every time he scores he sets a new record and he can pour it on at any moment. He'd do the same thing against a 5A team or 6A team.

JD Roth 1 year, 8 months ago

Ottawa rips Andale 73-49 Ojeleye scores 45 for a new record for State Class 4A. Wait a minute, every time Semi scores it is a new state record in Kansas. Bring your lunch tomorrow Highland Park. Feast on Abilene all you can tonight. A new State 4A Tournament single game record that is. What scoring record in the state of Kansas is left for Ojeleye to break?

JayDocMD 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree - the tears are OK, but man up and shake your competitors' hands. I know he's still a high school kid, but he's already representing KU and that's not a good look.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 8 months ago

I went to Blue Valley North, and one of my teachers/coaches was the current coach at BV West. And I can assure you, Frankamp is not the first person to refuse shaking hands with him.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, Donnie Campbell isn't the most liked person out there.

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

Thats weird the clip I saw he shook hands, not at the front of the line by any means. Jack Harry might have sensationalized it by not showing him shaking hands. Of course he cried the dude LOVES TO WIN and he's eighteen!

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, I've never been censored before. I always wondered where the line was for them to remove a comment--seems it's a lot closer than I thought.

robertson4ku 1 year, 8 months ago

No but Semi Ojeley from ottawa did. He broke the career scoring record and the single season record.

nostradavid 1 year, 8 months ago

Blue Valley West had to use a junk zone to mess up Conner's game. ( Why is Overland Park now BV ? Were they sued for trademark infringement by Ocean Pacific ?) They did come to Wichita and beat them out at Hillside High (WSU). Wichita North has never had the money to compete with the richer schools in the state. Conner took the city league scoring title away from Perry before the last game of the season. The state record is on out there aways.

Landen should be ready to go after working out with Jeff and Kevin this year. I'm looking forward to seeing him play. That's a good photo by Mike.

Here's what a great post-season run can do for all of you guys entering the draft this year:

Happy Moon

Happy Moon by nostradavid

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

oops, sorry Nostra, didn't read your post.

I clearly was thinking about the Wichita City League scoring record which was held by Perry Ellis.

Freedman Moor 1 year, 8 months ago

"Why is Overland Park now BV ? Were they sued for trademark infringement by Ocean Pacific ?"

Overland Park sits in two two districts -- Blue Valley and (south of I-435) Shawnee Mission. The south part of town is growing so fast that they add a new school (seemingly) every five years. My freshman year, there were only Blue Valley and North...then there was Northwest (were I graduated from)... then along came West...and I believe they just completed Southwest.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

School district names/limits and cities names/limits are not necessarily related. Many Overland Park residents go to Olathe School District schools. The Shawnee Mission School district covers many cities; .there is a city of Shawnee and a city of Mission but there is no city called Shawnee Mission...you get the idea...

John Strayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Shawneed Mission is the name of the post office that covers all these towns/areas.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 8 months ago

Glad to hear Lucas is progressing.

Glad to hear Randle was allowed to be a McDonald's AA.

Glad to see former 'Hawk Royce Woolridge light up UCLA for 19 pts tonight on 8 of 14 shooting.

KYo might look good in a headband, maybe opposing teams would think Ben Wallace was coming at them.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't know about Lucas... KU has a terrible record of producing dominant post players lately. :)

Dale Kroening 1 year, 8 months ago

You cant be serious can you ? Ummm lets see in the last 4 years Marcus, Markief, Cole, and TRob all were lottery picks and Withey will go somewhere in the first round. All are Big men.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

you couldn't seriously have taken him seriously could you have?

championhawks 1 year, 8 months ago

I think you need to brush up on your ability to see sarcasm in one's post!

Dale Kroening 1 year, 8 months ago

No coffee, and no sleep..........Didnt see the sarcasm. Posted before even thinking about it. Ill take my crow now....

VaJay 1 year, 8 months ago

Cairo should apologize for not using Sarcasm Font ;)

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

I think there is sarcasm, but also concern: I want to see how we do in the "Post-Manning Era" with a couple of guys before I judge our current ability.

Norm Jennings 1 year, 8 months ago

Me Worried? Maybe we need to back-off of the energy drinks a little...

Wiki says Manning started at the END of the 2006-2007 season. Darrell Arthur says Hi! Methinks Withey plays for pay somewhere as well, on top of threatening more triple-doubles than anyone else I can recall during the Manning era;

Oh, and a couple of more shout-outs from Julian Wright, Darnell Jackson, and Sasha Kaun. Maybe HCBS knows a thing or 2 about coaching Bigs on his own?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

There isnt one player from your list that developed without Manning around.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I understand cap's confusion. After all, Cairo used a smiley face :-) as opposed to a winky face ;-) Everyone knows a winky face is the sarcasm face.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

Obviously sarcasm but as well as our big men have done in the draft it hasn't led to instant success in the NBA. DA has had horrible luck with injuries. I think the Morris brothers will be successful in the long-term, Marcus is doing much better in his second year. TRob is struggling a bit in his rookie year. Cole is struggling and was recently traded to Sacramento (in a deal that sent Robinson to the Rockets) but better than playing in the D League.

Overall, I think it's too early to decide who will be busts or have long-term successful careers but without the development they had at Kansas, I'm not sure how many would have made it into the NBA.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Just a little hint...if you see a smiley face, friendly sarcasm may be just around the corner!! :)

yates33333 1 year, 8 months ago

SMU and Tulsa must have played three games this year because earlier I saw them playing at SMU in Dallas.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

"Former KU coach Larry Brown’s SMU team defeated former Jayhawk player Danny Manning’s Tulsa team, 71-65, Wednesday in Tulsa. Earlier this season Tulsa defeated SMU in Dallas. Tulsa is 15-14 (7-8); SMU is 15-15 (5-10) "

Obviously, each team beat the other team on the road. I don't get the confusion.

yates33333 1 year, 8 months ago

Duh!

Did you read the article? "Earlier this season Tulsa defeated SMU in Fort Worth. Tulsa is 15-14 (7-8); SMU is 15-15 (5-10) ."

You think Bedore doesn't know that SMU is in University Park? The Park cities are rather neat areas free from Dallas' schools and regulations.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would Tulsa play against SMU in Fort Worth, if SMU is in Dallas?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm glad to hear that Coach is not superstitious - just has a routine that works.

I also have a routine that works (most of the time). I must sit on the couch on top of a black fuzzy blanket with my feet covered by my lucky KU blanket, wearing my lucky KU socks and drinking out of my lucky KU cup. I then will alternate crossing my right foot over the left, or left foot over the right, depending on who has the ball.

But - it's not a superstition, just a routine that I follow.....

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I also have a routine that works. Whereever I am I try to watch the game. If I can't watch the game, then I try to DVR the game to watch it later. If I can't DVR the game, then I try to find a way to keep track of the score or I visit KUSports.com or I just know that I'll hear about it see about it or read about it later.

When I follow this routine, KU seems to win about 83.7% of the time.

kujhawk2 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes I too have a routine,same shirt, same spot on couch, same cup, remote same spot, etc... def. just a routine.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Oakville game watching routine. 1] Turn on KANSAS neon bar sign. 2] Watch game on big screen downstairs. 3] Game going well..turn up sound. 4] Game not going well...put on mute [This also works if Vitale is on broadcast]. 5] Never throw hard objects at screen. 6] Call my Brother who lives in Lawrence at halftime. 7] If we lose..blame Turner Gill.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Because nobody got poked in the chest or told to go die in the streets like their brother.

hawkdiek 1 year, 8 months ago

Be careful....our ex-coach will eat Baylor's future ex-coach!

kureader 1 year, 8 months ago

You've been "on a roll" the last couple days! lol at #7

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

When watching KU football, I usually go into my office and watch the game by myself.

When watching KU basketball, I'll start off in the living room with the larger HDTV but if things are going bad, it's back by myself in the office room. My wife who has through me become a huge Jayhawk fan decided this was best.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 8 months ago

My routine: If the game is on a station that is included in my package, turn it on and watch it. If the game is only available through a website, turn it on and watch it. In either case, my routine is to watch until the end of the game at which time, KU should have won and I can resume going about my everyday life. Now, if KU is not the winner, then......well... I haven't developed a routine for that since it so rarely happens. I do have a printed schedule hanging on my fridge where I mark the results of each game with a "W" or an "l" (note the lower case "l"). That routine holds no candle to the wild antics of you, nuleaf, kujhawk2 nor Oakville. But, I guess I just don't live in the fast lane like you guys!

(Filibuster worthy?)

tis4tim 1 year, 8 months ago

nuleaf,

You bring up an interesting question: Can you even have "lucky" sports gear if your team's overall winning percentage is bad?

For instance, can TCU fans wear their "lucky" shirt to games or is there such a thing as a "lucky" TCU shirt considering their record?

What is the low end for winning percentage before you can no longer claim your clothing is "lucky"?

Is luck relative or absolute?

These are the things that keep me up at night.

As for me personally ... I find that cursing a lot at the television has done wonders for KU's winning percentage over the years. :^)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

tis4tim - don't stay up nights thinking about that stuff. You'll need your energy for the upcoming tournament(s).

Take some lucky ZzzQuil !

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

I have a routine too. It's repeating "what" or "huh" every time my wife says something to me while the game is on :)

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

My "routine" might be the craziest. Lucky shirt, check Lucky underwear , check. Now here is where it gets weird. If the game is close I have to go outside and watch through the window until things get better. Luckily I don't live where it snows.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 8 months ago

Are those the only articles of clothing worn when watching the game?? If so, I'm sure your neighbors love it when KU games are on and it's a close one...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

I would consider your routine anything but "routine", Redlands!!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

Stalker luck...interesting. Strange and a little creepy, but still interesting.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't believe in luck/superstition, etc. I believe in prayer, but I'm not that good at it. In 2008, I was really good at it, Pretty good in 2009, horrible in 2010. Pretty good in 2011. Last year I was really good at it until April 2nd. This year, we'll see.

Joshua Hann 1 year, 8 months ago

I have a severe case of OCD that seems to be worse during games so there are too many things for me to list that I do during the game. I have a KU basketball that I try to spin on my finger as many times as possible before free-throws and during commercial-breaks. I also have a large piece of the floor from the '92 season that has to be facing away from the television since it's signed by Roy. Lot's of pacing and changing places I stand or sit during the game. I usually burn a decent number of calories!

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 8 months ago

In 2008 I had a beard going and after the Oklahoma State loss I shaved most of it off, leaving just a soul-patch. Then they kept on winning after that, and it obviously was because of the lucky soul-patch growing on my chin. The day after they beat Memphis, I shaved it off and saved it in a ziplock bag. My wife tells me I'm insane--I tell her she just doesn't understand.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

As the commercial says, "if it works, it ain't superstition."

kerbyd 1 year, 8 months ago

Did ya see where Indiana cut down their nets even after they lost to Ohio State? Kinda weird.

BainDread 1 year, 8 months ago

Until I saw your post, I thought the lamest celebration of the season was Nebraska fans storming the court after beating unranked and B1G 7th place Minnesota last night.

Joshua Hann 1 year, 8 months ago

I live in Indiana so I've heard a lot about this during the past few days on ESPN radio. Bascially, Knight started this tradition for seniors when they had won the conference title. It's a symbolic way for the seniors to leave the court, cutting down the nets, if and only if they won the 'ship.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 8 months ago

I know we were one of Otto Porter's final picks (us and Gtown), and it looks like he made a good decision for himself, but can u imagine him as our starting 4 with KY coming off the bench? What an addition he would have been. He's a phenomenal player that kid.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Thats all I can think when I see his name or Deandre Daniels, is what could have been. With that said, I love our guys and their chemistry.

milehighhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree on Porter.

I think Daniels has been a bit of a disappointment, to be honest. I thought he would be a gamechanger (and who's to say what he might have been here), but he's only averaging 12pts as a sophomore.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

I think right new he is playing the 3 and I imagine Bill Self would have had him play the three here also. Which means we would have had a small line up. His ability to drive, with Bens ability to shoot would have been a lethal combo. However, he probably did make the right choice. At GT he is the guy and probably got a say in what position he wants to play. At KU he could have been stuck at the 4.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

How would him playing the 3 be a small lineup. Isn't he a couple of inches taller than Releford?!?!

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry, what I meant is that him and Rel would still start so one of them would be playing the four.

tulsahawkfan 1 year, 8 months ago

Funny, I was doing the same thing but with Marcus Smart today.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 8 months ago

By the time Lucas is an upperclassman he should be ready for all comers. Glad he took the shirt. Wouldn't have seen many min this year.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

Another summer with Andrea Hudy should work wonders for his athleticism.

JayDocMD 1 year, 8 months ago

Real question here, and maybe this is just nitpicking word choice, but how much can one really improve athletic ability? I've always felt that was something you were just born with. Sure you can improve strength and endurance - but to me that's different than becoming a better athlete.

Coach Self mentions "fast twitch" muscle improvement. Again, athletes that are blessed with that muscle type are born with it. Now I know one can recruit muscle and to some degree convert muscle from slow to fast twitch, but there's a very limited ability to do that. People like BMac just are insanely athletic naturally. Now he also has put in hard work to know how to utilize his athletic ability and improve his shooting, etc.

Just a thought - am I wrong? Can you, as Coach Self says, "get a little more athletic?"

kckuguy 1 year, 8 months ago

To answer your question......refer to Jeff Withey

hawkdiek 1 year, 8 months ago

To really answer your question....HUDY.....Morris twins 1st two years=very few dunks. Junior year=in your face and plenty of moves around the paint (Danny may have had something to do with that too).

JayDocMD 1 year, 8 months ago

Withey got stronger, but I would argue not more athletic. Those volleyball skills (that every TV commentator likes to bring up) have always been there with Jeff: timing and quick leaping. Not saying he hasn't honed and perfected those skills, but I don't think that's an argument for becoming more athletic - that's his natural skill set.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm certainly not a sports fitness expert, nor even very knowledgable in human A&P, but I think that a personal reasonably can get a little more athletic. Darnell Jackson seemed to get a little more athletic by increasing his strength while shedding some pounds. Tyrel, Brady, and Conner Teahan, all I think arguably increased their quickness and explosion while at KU. The Morris twins, etc.

You cannot change you're body type, but you can optimize your speed, quickness, vertical jump, and possibly even your reaction time, by working out the right muscle groups, to the right extent, and by conditioning and fashioning your body for certain specific activities.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Playing weight has a lot to do with maximizing athleticism. Sherron Collins is the player I would actually point towards. When Hudy got Sherron's weight down to the 200-205 range, Sherron was much more athletic than he was when he was playing at 225 when he was about 2 steps slower. Another thing that Hudy does is work on players increasing their flexibility which also makes a noticeable improvement in a players athleticism. Yes a player can have more natural athleticism than others, but it takes further development to maximize that athleticism for it to really show up.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 8 months ago

Absolutely. Weight training, drills, plyometrics (sp) can do great things for quickness and explosiveness, and improve vertical jump. It made a huge difference in my athletic ability.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

global .. and that should really be the expectation. By redshirting and committing to KU, it shows that Lucas gets it. It would appear that he understands that it will be a progression. He may not be much of a player next season. If he is, great. But if not, no worries .. the focus should be on the product his junior and senior seasons. He is a four year player. By taking the redshirt, if he transferred later, he would lose a year of eligibility. The guy is committed. And if you read his twitter account, he is incredibly positive. Great attitude. I bet it's infectious.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

It would be nice if that infectiousness spread to Rio Adams. I have a feeling Justin Wesley is going to keep his scholarship for next year and Christian Garrett or Niko Roberts may go on scholarship for a year and give KU more options for the 2014 class scholarship wise than they were looking at a few months ago which is a good thing.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 8 months ago

Not sure how Wesley would keep his scholarship. There's four seniors and a five man recruiting class. Assuming Ben goes pro there is five open scholarships for the five signed thus far. I fully expect there to be one more signing in this class (Randle), so Wesley would lose his. Another situation where he kept it would be if Rio transfers. Then you have a possibility of two more signees like a lower ranked guy like Owootoah who is coming on late with high major interest. 2014 would be an interesting class because you would need guys to go early (a Randle or Selden) in order to sign guys.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

You are forgetting Zach Peters. HIs scholarship gives KU 5 and McLemore makes 6 if they sign Randle or Wiggins. Only way Wesley goes back off scholarship is if KU signs 2 more kids.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

A couple things I was told by a former Michigan player this weekend who claims to be very familiar with Wichita ball. I could also tell by the way he interacted with Perry and several other Jayhawks that he is around the program some. The players knew him by name.

The first thing he told me I didn't want to beleive; Connor Frankamp has a very poor attitude and is considered arrogant. I hope that is not the case--does anybody else hear this from his coaches? He is also certain that Frankamp won't impact the rotation next year.

The other thing he told me which was that Wichita basketball has been really down lately.

I don't know if this is true or not--just sharing word that I heard from a bird. .

Matt1958 1 year, 8 months ago

I really question that claim about Frankamp. Remember, we heard the same things about Brandon.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 8 months ago

That's interesting about Frankamp. I remember watching the video of him pulling up from the free throw line to hit a jumper for the city scoring record. I expected his teammates to go crazy but it seemed like he got a few fives and the team went back to the bench. The crowd went nuts and he was embraced in a hug from his coach, I just recall being surprised about the teams reaction towards him. Other than that I've never heard of him having a poor attitude.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

The Michigan guy sounds like a hater to me. It’s really hard to believe the kid has a poor attitude. This latest video has interviews with coaches, his parents and Conner himself. Seems like he’s doing everything he can to get better, and that he keeps his academics in order as well.

I think often times big confidence is mistaken for arrogance. Doesn’t matter much. Any arrogance or attitude would be wrung out during the first boot camp anyway. : )

kujhawk2 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree, also alot of times people expect these young guys to run up and kiss ass, when a player does not they are looked at as thinking they are too good. Maybe the kid did not want to talk to a clown from Michigan.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Blown, I've heard that before - about the arrogance. I know absolutely nothing about Frankamp, other than he can shoot lights out, but maybe his perceived arrogance could just be that he's quiet or somewhat withdrawn?

April13 1 year, 8 months ago

And competitive. You don't become the leading scorer on TEAM USA without being competitive.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe it would be a good idea not to label anyone coming in based on rumor and second-hand knowledge, Blown, my friend. I don't doubt it may all be true but let's wait and see how Conner handles his first Boot Camp.

A league scoring record and a world championship are kind of hard to ignore!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Good Point, Oak. You have a good point, I'm just sharing what I'm hearing. It's up to us to decipher the bs. And I know for sure his actions will speak as loud as needed when he arrives on campus.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

If he is arrogant, so what? Sports today is all about being a princess and having everyone like you. If your teammates like you, then okay. Now if your teammates hate you, then something needs to change. But there aren't enough bad guys in sports anymore. LeBron is considered one of them and he is one of the nicest and unselfish players out there.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

There's plenty of bad guys in sports, Hawk.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

I can't think of to many in Basketball. Artest is really the only true "bad" guy. 20 years ago, there was more then 10.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Kind of just yanking your chain...Because my reply to you would be...Calipari, WWW, the NCAA body,etc. I know your point was more along the lines of Dennis Rodman & Ben Wallace, Artest, and the entire Pacers team from 2003-2004!!

dahawk40 1 year, 8 months ago

Arrogance is not always a bad thing when backed up by a team-first mentality. Some of the best KU players in history are ones that have played with a chip on their shoulder. Kirk, Sherron, T-Rob, etc.

mandomax 1 year, 8 months ago

I have had this argument about Frankamp's impact several times with my friends. I'm afraid that his size qualifies him only to play the point at the D1 level. Self has traditionally been hesitant to allow his points to put up tons of shots (with the exception of Sherron when Self urged him to get more aggressive offensively). Also, in watching video, many of Frankamp's points seem to come from slashing drives and layups. At 160lbs, he's going to have trouble scoring that way in the Big 12

Steve Gantz 1 year, 8 months ago

Lebron James is arrogant, Michael Jordan is arrogant, Tiger Woods is arrogant, Bill Belicheck is arrogant. Nick Saban is arrogant. I would imagine Ty Cobb was, as was Pete Rose. Heck, I always thought 2008 KU basketball was a little arrogant.

Steve Brown 1 year, 8 months ago

Never thought Danny or Mr. Sayers were arrogant.

KULA 1 year, 8 months ago

I would put some stock in the Michigan guy's opinion based on a few tangental observations. Wichita bball is down lately--Conner's team just got pretty well handled by BV. Plus, Perry, who dominated Wichita ball for four years, can't crack our rotation when everyone thought he'd contribute big time. Makes me wonder about the competition he faced in Wichita. And it reminds me of Royce, who averaged 30 in HS and was apparently dying to play at Kansas, but couldn't crack our rotation. Glad to see Royce doing well in WA, and I didn't want to see him go. We sure could've used him last year. But it also makes me wonder about the competition he put up that 30 pts/game against. And that makes me wonder about Conner and Perry's HS competition. Anyway, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Conner have very little impact on the rotation next year, just like Royce and Perry.

justanotherfan 1 year, 8 months ago

Perry is a good player, but he benefited from never having to play against a lot of other good players that were his size. If a 6-8 guy is being guarded by a 6-6 guy, the 6-8 should dominate. If a D-1 talent is being guarded by a similar sized guy that isn't a D-1 talent, the D-1 talent should dominate.

Now, however, Perry sees the size and caliber of player that he didn't have to deal with every single day in practice, and on the floor in games. It's been a tough transition for him.

In that respect, I think Conner will do better because he's seen lots of good guards while at North. However, he will be on the ball all the time in college, and he will be facing lots of bigger, stronger guards that he has to defend on the other end. I'm not sure if he's ready for that part. Offensively, I think he will be fine. Defensively, I am withholding judgment until he has to play on that end (something the coaches at North didn't really make him do consistently).

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

I've heard he's definitely a cocky kid, but I've heard his AAU teammates like him.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

It ain't bragging if you can do it.- Dizzy Dean. The kid can definitely score.

HawksWin 1 year, 8 months ago

Envy & jealousy will talk to bring down great players with character who often do not babble to defend themselves. We will soon find out ourselves, and the Michigan should stop the gossip and focus on his own game.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

WOW!!

With all the hype about our #2 ranked recruiting class and the Wiggins/Randle happenings, I have kind of forgot we may have the most important long term impact guy sitting in the wings.

Landen at 6'-10" and 240 as a red shirt freshman next season will indeed be a load. He may gain another 10-20 pounds in muscle and grow another inch or so!!

At the very least this next season, he will give Jo Jo a battle in practice and he will be able to give five really, really hard fouls per game!!

Next season is going to be amazing to watch..it will be a Jayhawk team make-up that I am not sure we have ever seen. YOUNG...YOUNGER....YOUNGEST!!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I would expect that he won't gain from the 240LBs that he's currently listed at. He'll get stronger and leaner, no doubt, but I would be surprised if he ever in his KU career tips the scales at more than 245, which would make him the heaviest Jayhawk since Cole. But if he grows another inch, he may become the heaviest Jayhawk since Graves.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Depends on how much muscle his frame can take on before his athleticism declines. Whatever that weight is, is what Hudy will get him to and he will play at. Lucas looks like he's a fairly thick kid to begin with which probably means he can play at the 255-260 range and still be the kind of player Self will want him to be.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe we will have 1 to 2 redshirts next season. Frankamp could be one to redshirt, based on his size. He may need a year in the weight room and a year to adjust to not having the ball in his hands constantly. I think Rio Adams could have used a redshirt year to adjust to the speed of the game and to get used to not having the ball in hands all the time. In the Kansas offense the ball moves constantly, and anyone can bring the ball up the court. Also, players must prove they can play defense as well. I am not saying that this will happen, but I would not be shocked.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

So....F.Mason ends up as the backup PG?!?!?!

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

why not? did you read Self's specific comments about him after he signed his LOI? Self basically called Mason a stud, an under-rated talent, and compared his aggressiveness to Sheron's. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to exceed expectations.

JayDocMD 1 year, 8 months ago

He said the same things about Tyrone Appleton, Royce Woolridge, Merv Lindsey, Milton Doyle...

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

yea, but the point is we don't know, right? Did many people think KY would be our starting 4 this year, or that Conner would end up being the first man off the bench for a team that made the NC?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

ted .. you drinkin' the Kool-Aid?

Exceeding expectations as an unranked or outside the top 100 player at Kansas is actually developing into a rotation player by years three and four. Mason is much like Lucas in that he'll most likely need time to develop. But I'm open to a shocker here. Mason was noted as an under the radar guy to watch by ESPN. We'll see. But don't count on it.

Mel Clare 1 year, 8 months ago

ESPN had a 5-10 minute little info on "Sleepers outside the top 100" for next year.........MASON was at the top of this list! He is built like Sherron was..............stocky! We will have some beef at a couple of spots next year............Selden, Lucas and Mason are all really stout! Traylor is built, Ellis, you can already see some difference in his body from August............ Greene coming in is two inches shorter than Young and right now weighs more than him! And Embid if they can put 20 pounds on him will be good sized at 7'0!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

With all the frustration Rio has shown this year at times there is no way he will redshirt next year. I think he would transfer before considering a redshirt.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

absolutely. keeping him off the floor this year has just about killed him, and the only thing that will get him to buy in and return is the opportunity to be a starter next year, which is very likely if he gets his head together and tightens up his game (no reason t think he can't or won't). He wouldn't redshirt at this point in a million years. sure- this year it would have been a reasonable option.

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

Could have used a redshirt this year, not next year.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I completely agree with that. A year to just get stronger and learn the offense without the frustration of thinking you should be playing and not getting into games. He and Lucas could be next year's Ben and Jamari (we could be so lucky!).

Page Butler 1 year, 8 months ago

I watched the North vs. Blue Valley West game and it was horrible. BVW played a box and one on Conner the whole night and his coach did nothing to set a screen for him or take the pressure off of him. They dribbled 4 minutes off the clock in the 3rd quarter and probably 2 minutes off the 2nd. They played with a 6 point lead and just dribbled around and didn't even try to score. It wasn't Conner's fault that he had a bad shooting night. There was absolutely no flow to the game and the coach had another kid handling the ball with a minute to go and tied. Why didn't he have Conner with the ball? Anyway it will be fun to watch him next year for sure. I'm glad I got to see him play 8 games this year.

kranny 1 year, 8 months ago

Sounds like bad coaching because theyve seen a box before during the season. Must be related to Roy W.

Steve Corder 1 year, 8 months ago

Great photo of Lucas.

As the TTech coach said, "Kansas is Kansas" as regards to recruiting and success. Next year will be totally different but tough to beat, as always.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

No mention of OSU's loss to ISU last night and what it might imply for Kansas?

Let's hope Oklahoma State will hate losing on Senior's Night so much that they still give K-State a good battle even though they blew their own chance to share. I don't want to share "The Ninth" with anyone, especially Kansas State!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Pretty disappointed when I saw the score to that game. They can react one of two ways--lay an egg or lay it on em--Hoping for the latter!! I'm nervous for the Baylor game. Baylor will be playing their asses of trying for that signature win, while the hawks have come off a couple cupcakes.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

No worries my friend - Baylor has one BIG (small, really) drawback - their coach.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

Iowa State might have sealed their tourney fate, now OSU will be mad and playing at home. I will be shocked if K State comes out with a win. Good news, we will know for sure if we get 9 before our game starts. Problem is if we lose, it will be shared. If K State wins and we lose, the streak is over.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Your last sentence borders on blasphemy. If I was LJW staff, I'd take that comment down.

Only kidding.

Kind of.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

There is the little demon in me that keeps me a tad scared. It is a horrid demon.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully it will be exorcised by this weekend.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

OSU's loss means there's no chance for a 3 way tie for the league title this year.

Waylon Cook 1 year, 8 months ago

Conner is the man. He is going to do great things as a Jayhawk. People label people "arrogant, cocky, overrated" when they couldn't do half of what the person can. Anyone how Tyrel was talked about on message boards? It was disgusting. Likely coming from an overweight middleage man who had never won a damn thing in his life!

Conner is a competitor and it shows. I agree his coach was a jack ass and look at what they still accomplished! CONGRATS CONNER AND WELCOME TO KU!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm with you... Conner will be starting before the end of his first year. He will be the next great PG at KU. Think Aaron Craft except better.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I think it's natural to have some concerns about our bigs next year, but I have high hopes for Lucas. The guy has the potential to be a monster.

The biggest hope for next year is the development, and sophomore leap, of Perry Ellis. I still have faith that he will be every bit as good as advertised.

Incoming bigs are usually unsteady as freshmen, so I think the key next season will be getting Lucas, Ellis, and Traylor playing to their potential.

I like that combination on the floor (obviously in a 3 big set), with Tharpe at point, perhaps White III or Francamp at 2 guard.

That's not including the other bigs and potential 3 stars we have coming in. Good stuff on the horizon.

RSwansonhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Seems like there could be several interesting lineups. Where does Brannen Greene fit in? Not to mention the beast that is Wayne Selden. We will be young, but we will be athletic and talented

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Squires was our HS coach and he was ran out of town at this small 4A school. Could never understand how he got the North job.

bradynsdad 1 year, 8 months ago

If you are on Twitter please ask the Analyst why Withey isn't more of a front runner for POY? I am trying not to be a homer about this but he is the most dominate on both ends of the floor of all the big men. Olynek and Plumlee both have good offensive game but they average the same number of points and rebounds as Jeff, but neither impacts the defensive end the way he does. What is POY? The most impactful player in college. Where would this team be without Jeff? Think about all the big men he has neutralized, yes he held Davis to six points in last years title game, he destroyed sullingers draft status and I know they are multiple more I can't think of right now but I know he has. I would put him up against any big in the country in a heartbeat. So can anybody answer me this without KU goggles on?

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

In fairness, I don't think Olynek or Plumlee will win POY.

I have a feeling it will go to McDermott or Oladipo.

KUsmoothies 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't want to dog frankamp bc I don't know him personally and if I was a stud like him I'm sure I'd be the same way but I have watched him play a few times over the yrs and he has come across with somewhat of a bad attitude. He doesn't ever stand with his teammates during the national athem and I've always thought he came across as having a bad attitude towards the refs. Buuuut the kid is only 17-18 so maybe I shouldn't expect so much out of him.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 8 months ago

When I saw Frankamp on TV he looked like a little kid even playing against High school talent. My starting five next year is Lucas/Embiid, Randal, Bmac, Sheldon and Tharpe. Let's see if Kentucky can beat that.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 8 months ago

Bmac will be in the NBA and Randle will be playing for Kentucky.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 8 months ago

Their source is the same person that told them Ben will stay and we will have a player named Sheldon.

Tim Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

Sheldon? From the Big Bang Theory? Didn't know he could ball.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't often comment about next years players because it's always hard to predict how potential relates to success on the court, see Perry Ellis as exhibit 1A. However, I did let myself daydream about Lucas after reading the article, and especially because it said Self is excited for him. That sealed it. Already looking forward to next season!

April13 1 year, 8 months ago

The alleged Frankamp "tude" might have something to do with him being constantly underrated and minimalized by people - including some people on his board.

My prediction: Nadir should be afraid.....very afraid.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 8 months ago

Absolutely no way frankamp is ready to take over as the point guard for a major program. Nadir will continue to improve and he has already shown himself to be a major talent.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

In Praise of Kevin Young:

Kevin Young is not: 7 feet tall like Jeff Built like an action figure like TRob Deadly from the perimeter like BMac Doesn't dribble behind the back like EJ

Kevin just simply does everything else. He has a knack for knowing where the ball is going to bounce. Not only has he become the "garbage collector" but how many times has he gotten the rebound from his own miss for a put back? I recall him getting the rebound from his own missed free throw. After he makes a basket and turns to run up the court with everyone else have you ever noticed how sometimes he'll take two steps do a quick reversal and try and steal the inbounds pass? Sometimes with success? That is thinking a few steps ahead of everyone and that is his strength. He's not the most gifted but maybe the smartest player on the court it seems. Then again maybe that is his gift. He has kept us in games at times when shots weren't falling. His smile lifts up his teammates as well as this fan 2,000 miles away. I am going to miss him dearly next year.

Don't be suprised if in thirty years from now future posters are congratulating Coach Young on his 500th win. Perhaps at KU. Rock Chalk Kevin Young. Your hustle determination and attitude will get you wherever you want to go.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

He reminds me of me [except for the height, athleticism, high energy, bball I.Q., fearlessness, bounce, 'fro, motor]....well, maybe not so much. But I do have a nice smile!!! :)

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

Withey, McLemore, Releford and Johnson are the bricks.

Kevin is the mortar.

hammerhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I enjoyed reading the posts. Gonna be a great game on Saturday. Come on, Hawks. Let's show the conference how tough we can be. Play smart. Play strong. Let's get this game taken care of and then move on to Kansas City. Take care of business. Forget the lesser school down the river.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Here is how I read this story about Landen and its timing.

This is a spin bone thrown to ready fans for Randle and Wiggins going elsewhere.

Next.

Robin Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree that it is meant to temper expectations, but I don't think it is done with any inside scoop that Kansas won't get one or both.

I'm optimistic about our chances with both, especially Randle.

HawksWin 1 year, 8 months ago

Darn, I am hoping you're wrong JB... Can't imagine Randle going to UK with Norlen rapping he may be back at UK, and Wiggins to FSU because of his parents when there's no NC trophy in sight at the end of the FSU tunnel.
Florida State vs. Kansas (per ESPN)

Final Fours: 1 vs. 14

Tournament Record: 15-14 vs. 93-40

Championship Seasons: 0 vs. 1952, '88, '08

Tournament Appearances: 14 vs. 41

If I were Wiggins' parents, I'd encourage him to KU - Self's winning record, AFH, fans, etc. If Wiggins thinks he can single handedly take FSU to the NC, then we can't afford his supersize ego. Look at Deandre Daniels withering at UConn, Tarc at AZ... They could be on #1 seed team in the league and going into the tourney at KU. That said, if they go elsewhere, much luck to them.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

Perhaps this has already been mentioned, but there's a report / rumor on Bleacher Report that Randle is down to KU, UK, FL and TX, having cut both OU and NC State.

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

It could be just a "feel good" story about a guy that the fanbase hasn't really gotten to know this year...

At least, I hope so.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, but the good news is he'll probably be here for three years and he will grow into an NBA talent. I've already seen enough to know this isn't just spin.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Just a little food for thought but since UK has the #1 class for 2013 and KU has the #2 class for 2013, assuming Wiggins goes to FSU, between KU and UK, whomever gets Julius ends up being named the Number One Class??

Selden, Lucas, Embiid, Greene, Frankamp and Mason isn't exactly chopped liver!! Pair up with Ellis, Traylor, Tharpe, White and Adams...not too shabby!!!

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

KU would have to sign both Randle and Wiggins to jump UK in the class rankings and even then I don't know if that would happen. UK has 5 players in the top 18 and I don't know if that's possible to top even if KU were to land Randle and Wiggins.

HawksWin 1 year, 8 months ago

JB, Will you change your mind on Randle & Wiggins?

from KU Message Boards, posted by TraditionKU "saw this posted on theshiver, fwiw

(plus, we needed a bump, because WE NEED THIS GUY!!!!)

This was someone who posted on the nc state scout message board. I wanted to verify how accurate this was. There is a radio talk show on Syrius radio xm and the host is Bill King. His website is billisking.com. Every Tuesday, Drew Maddux comes onto his radio show and talks about college hoops. He is a college basketball analyst. He is head coach of CPA in Nashville and he is an Nike Elite Skills instructor. He was a former player at Vandy.

On Tuesday's radio show hosted by Bill King..33rd-36th minute, NC state fan indeed asks about NC State and where Julius Randle stands. So Maddux and King acknowledge that Randle is announcing March 20th. Maddux says he talked to other coaches and said he also knows Randle's high school coach. He said he is not going to quote anyone and states "Randle is Kansas' to lose."

Maddux states Wiggins and Randle could both play for Self and that'd be a powerful 1-2 punch. They then talk about Wiggins and believe that Wiggins isn't trending with UK. Maddux feels that it's between Florida St., UNC, and KU but ultimately it'll come down to KU and UNC bc of Wiggins maintaining his brand of possibly becoming a future number one pick.

Josh Becker 1 year, 8 months ago

ESPN @DaveTelep with the buzz: One little birdie said Bill Self is a coach who makes him extremely comfortable. The only visit left is to UNC, when it hosts Duke this weekend. The UK trip went well, as expected. A month ago, I didn't think UK was going to add another stud. Now, I'm guessing they get one out of the "Big Three" of Wiggins, Randle and Gordon, but no telling which one it is -- though Gordon remains unlikely.

@PaulBiancardi with the buzz: Randle has generated a ton of buzz both on and off the court in recent weeks. On Monday he took to Twitter to say he will announce his decision March 20. The tweet came two days after leading his squad to a state title, and that was just weeks after returning from a major injury. I don't remember that happening before in high school basketball. That shows his talent and desire and how bright his future can be. He also was added to the McDonald's All-American Game Wednesday, which he deserved.

With his decision on the horizon, let's take a look at his five finalists.

At Kentucky, he would solidify its No. 1 class and it would be hard to say this incoming crew isn't the best recruiting class of all time. Kansas has an excellent class, but Randle easily would be the star of that group. Quick side note: Self was the only coach in attendance during Randle's semifinal contest. At Texas, he'd be an instant program changer. He would help Florida sustain its greatness. Randle would become NC State's biggest recruiting coup in more than a decade, and the No. 3 senior would easily put Oklahoma back on the map.

didjabuti 1 year, 8 months ago

It's funny that HCBS would mention the headbands. I was wondering during Senior night if he had relaxed on that, since he didn't seem to have a problem with Young's hair.

JakeHawk76 1 year, 8 months ago

I know this is somthing of an off-topic comment, but has anyone else noticed that Andrew Wiggins is the title character's name from the classic SF adventure novel Ender's Game?

CHEEZIT 1 year, 8 months ago

Kentucky, National Champion, NIT, now that's funny right there I don't care who you are!!!

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been wondering how NO ONE in the national media has managed to mention that defending champions missing the tournament the following season has been a somewhat regular occurrence over the past decade or so.

2012 Kentucky - likely to miss 2013 without a win over Florida

2009 North Carolina - missed the 2010 tournament

2007 Florida - missed the 2008 tournament

Everyone keeps acting like it's this big deal. I think it's a sign of the new standard in college basketball with the higher player turnover. Don't get me wrong, I will revel in Kentucky's misfortune to no end, but it's not that unique as of late.

Brian Conrad 1 year, 8 months ago

is for KU.. longest streak of getting into NCAA tourney . for players who may only play one year that is huge !

bennybob 1 year, 8 months ago

If anyone truly believe Landen Lucas will make a significant impact on the team next season your delusional. 3 years from now MAYBE. but he's no where close to ready to compete at a high level next season. If he was, there would be no need to recruit Randle/Wiggins.