Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Self lets Jayhawks have some fun in Senior Night rout

Kansas center Jeff Withey signals "three" after hitting one against Texas Tech during the first half, Monday, March 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Feeling a bit sentimental — and comfortable with his Kansas University basketball players holding a 34-point lead — Bill Self let his players look at the videoboard in lieu of listening to him during a TV time out with 7:14 left in Monday’s 79-42 rout of Texas Tech in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Our scoreboard is great. It’s kind of a pain for me. Our players want to watch it. It’s hard to get their attention,” Self, KU’s 10th-year coach, said on his Tuesday Hawk Talk radio show. “Yesterday, the seniors’ ‘Pop-Up Video’ came on. Why not let ‘em watch it? It was kind of a unique game.”

So with the Jayhawks leading, 69-35, on Senior Night, Self told seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young to enjoy the video instead of listening to him bark orders with the game well in hand.

“Trust me, it wouldn’t have been like that last year on Senior Night against Missouri. We didn’t care about the ‘Pop-Up Video’ last year,” Self said of KU claiming a come-from-behind overtime win over the Tigers. “Last night was a little bit different.”

Self said he enjoyed the concise three-minute speeches of each of KU’s four seniors.

“What happens is the first guy kind of screws it up and goes long,” Self said of past speeches that would last 10-15 minutes per player. “Then the next guy feels he’s got to go long. Kevin started it off ... he said what he wanted to say and everybody followed suit.

“For a 6 o’clock game, the speeches were over and fans were out of there by 8:25. I remember some nights with Wayne (Simien), Aaron (Miles), Keith (Langford), Mike (Lee) ... they’d already spoken an hour and Wayne says, ‘Get comfortable, we’re going to be here a while.’ Jordan (Juenemann) took 25 minutes to thank the janitor at the church he went to for one year growing up,” Self added with a laugh.

“I think it’s neat our fans are so respectful of the kids who represent them on a nightly basis and stick around for the speeches.”

Self asked the fans to give freshman Ben McLemore a rousing ovation.

“I didn’t do it for any reason. We don’t talk if he’s going (to NBA) or staying,” Self said. “The decision will be made after the season is over. I thought it would not be right if he makes the decision to leave — and I’m not saying he will — if the fans didn’t get the chance to recognize him one last time. I thought it was cool what our fans did (standing ovation and chant of “One More Year).”

Three-ball: Self on whether Withey, who hit a three, would attempt any more treys.

“I think Jeff made the one he needed to make, now we need to focus on getting his butt where it belongs, close to the basket,” Self said with a laugh. “If he’s open and feeling it, it’s OK to pull the trigger on that one. Before the game he said, ‘Coach, I may shoot a three.’ I said, ‘Shoot it.’ Sure enough, he shot it and it went in.”

The race: KU and K-State will take 14-3 Big 12 records into Saturday’s regular-season finales. The Wildcats travel to Oklahoma State for a 12:30 p.m. tip. KU will meet Baylor at 5 p.m., in Waco. Oklahoma State, 12-4, travels to Iowa State tonight before playing host to KSU. “I know our guys will be fired up going to Waco (and trying for ninth-straight league title),” Self said.

Comments

Jim Erickson 2 years ago

No update, but here is a prediction... Wiggens will never top Jeff Withey's 3-point percentage.

Phognatic 2 years ago

Trying to predict top recruit destinations is an exercise in speculation and futility, but per twitter and present rosters, looks like Wiggins is likely FSU or Kentucky bound. However, just found this tidbit and haven't seen anyone mention it on here, but Mr. Andrew Wiggins brother is a junior guard at Wichita State. Intersting, but not sure how it may influence their decision making. Wiggins will be a one-and-done at KU while his brother is finishing up his senior season a couple hours down the turnpike.

RJ King 2 years ago

Though I've never been very enamored with the post-season conference tournament, I'm actually pretty fired up for it this year. Maybe I'm still infatuated with this team and want more. Maybe it's a chance to un-kiss our KSU sister. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Still, I'd rather ditch the post-season tournament in order to schedule 3 additional quality non-conference opponents, or another pre-season tournament before league play. I appreciate that the conference tourney gives any team one last opportunity to slip in. But that same scenario can bump a bubble team to the NIT instead.

Opinions?

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Only if you don't lose in the first round of the tourney. That is zero fun!

Curtis Stutz 2 years ago

It's been nice that I think for the most part when KU shared the conference regular season title in this streak, they went ahead and won the conference tourney to make it clear who the champ was. Could be similar this year.

The other thing about the BigXII tourney this year is it's more opportunity to play in the Sprint Center (unless I'm deliriously tired and for some reason it isn't there) which could be key experience going into the tourney where hopefully KU plays in the Spring Center. KU could end up with MU as an opponent 2nd round in Sprint, so it's nice KU would have played so many games there already this season. Kind of great scheduling when you think about it. I know we had discussions about KU playing home games vs Sprint games earlier in the season. Well anyone who was screaming for more AFH games should consider what it could mean to both BigXII and NCAA tourney success that KU has the experience from the WSU, SLU, OSU games in KC this year. I don't want to jinx KU on playing in KC, there are no guarantees, but you have to suspect that's where they'll open up the NCAAs. Fans should be pretty content if KU gets a piece of the regular season title, a BigXII tourney title and a Sw16 appearance. That's a great year already right there before any regional action. Personally I'd just assume KU get the BigXII outright regular season title, drop a game in the conf tourney, end up a 2 seed in the south playing 2 games in KC and go on to TX for a regional with a great shot at another FF.

As to your original question; I'm a fan of regular season champs getting the NCAA birth, but no conference would want to do that 'cause conference tourneys generate more revenue and give your conference a chance to either add another tourney team or boost your seeding. I think teams have the opportunity to add quality OOC opponents if they want to. Most teams play plenty of RPI 200+ opponents. Take out the conference tourney and the KS legislature will probably mandate a state tournament.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Maybe lose to Iowa State in the semifinals so they FINALLY get off our back!!! :) Also, would take them off any bubble they might be on. Of course, that woudl be assuming they'd get past OU the round before.

coloradojayhawk 2 years ago

I don't mind them getting to the NCAA tourney, but I would really not like for ISU to have a chance to claim that proves they got jobbed in the two regular season games. I'd actually prefer KU to smash them by 20 in KC, but that might hurt their chances for dancing.

dylans 2 years ago

",but that might hurt their chances for dancing." So what?

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

NOOOOOOO, Play Iowa State and beat them like a red headed step child, and let them know, without a doubt, we are still the top of the food chain. Who cares about their whinin asses. That is precisely why we are who we are, and they are who we thought they were, right Herm! LOLLLLL

jaybate 2 years ago

"Solution to the Conference Tourney Venality"

Conference Champ, or Champs, don't play in Vile conference tourneys. Before conference tourney, NCAA seeds all conference champs in highest spots of NCAA brackets. After conference tourneys, NCAA seeds rest of NCAA Brackets.

TxJyHwk 2 years ago

Even if they don' t have the tourney, they can't schedule more non-conference games. The post-season tournaments are exempt from the maximum games they can schedule (and 1 "pre-season" tournament counts as 1 game).

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

I'm not sure we could find three quality non-conference opponents as almost every conference has their own conference tournament. It would also complicate awarding the automatic bid in some three-way tie which is still a possibility this year. And finally, I think the tournament generates a lot of money for the conference.

Plus, if we were to come up with three quality opponents, I would prefer not playing them right before the tournament starts. It could kill the momentum we have built plus the extra work of preparing for these games right before the tournament starts.

If we were going to end the conference tournament, I would prefer playing three quality games in the middle of our conference play but truthfully, I like the conference tournament and even if we don't win it all, it doesn't seem to effect where we are seeded. I could be wrong but didn't we lose our first game last year in the Big 12 tournament? I think having a little extra rest might have helped us get through the early rounds.

I just don't see the need to change things. I know this statement is an over simplification but it often has a lot of truth "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Dee Shaw 2 years ago

Won't be that big of a surprise. Randle and Wiggins will be attending KU next year. When your whole starting five will be gone for next year, why wouldn't you come to KU. Plenty of playing time, sell out crowds every night, on ESPN every night. I will be honest with you. If we don't sign both of these players, I will be upset. No reason why we should not get both. Tired of KU fans not expecting to land the top recruits. We are KU. One of the premier programs in the country.

Rockchalkmarylandhawk 2 years ago

There is no accounting for what college kids will want-especially at that level. A lot of things go into the equation (shoe contracts for example) . Wiggins parents connections at flu might trump everything else. It doesn't mean it's a negative thing for us.

Jim Tebow 2 years ago

Kentucky is losing all of their starting 5 as well. So there goes that theory. Also, Kentucky has proven it with 1 and done players. We have Henry and Selby to show for it, who both underperformed. Wiggins is probably going to FSU, but maybe Kentucky. I'd say Randle is going to Kentucky, but possibly KU. I'm satisfied with our recruiting class. Don't really have any 1 and dones coming in, though there are some very good players

Dee Shaw 2 years ago

Kentucky has no more scholarships bud. We have two scholarships being used right now from current players. Ben is gone and his scholarship is open and Rio Adams is gone and his scholarship will be open. Transfer or asked to transfer. Problem child. Twitter issues.

Sam Constance 2 years ago

I'm tired of fans acting like the decisions and thought-processes of 17-18 year old kids are always linear and logical, and that any failure of a kid to recognize the great benefits here at KU is something worth being upset about.

KUfanInFlorida 2 years ago

dlshaw74,

you're absolutely right. We are one of the premier programs in the country. I mean, as a fan I expect KU to land at least a couple of top 10 players every year.

jhox 2 years ago

I doubt Wiggins is serious about us. My guess is that he'll let his parents direct him to FSU. Though, I'm sure he had to be thinking just a little about how it might feel to be on the receiving end of those alley oops Self likes to set up. I'm sure Monday night's dunkathon didn't hurt our chances any. It would have been nice to get him in for a higher profile game (one where Allen was a little more amped up.)

I think we have a serious shot at Randle. I'm not convinced he was all that serious about us before his trip to Lawrence, but I suspect we gave him a lot to think about on his visit. I can't imagine him going to Kentucky and having to share the ball with the selfish Harrison twins, not to mention the fact that they will be bringing a lot of guys back for a change. It just makes no sense for him to go there. I'm guessing it likely comes down to KU and Texas.

FL_Jhawk 2 years ago

I went to KU and loved it. Froze my butt off several months of the year, but I loved it. I graduated and ended up in Florida, had kids, and my daughter went to FSU and she loved it there. The campus of FSU compares, I think, to KU. There are hills, trees and lots of classic older buildings and modern new buildings. But, FSU doesn't get the super cold weather, it is close to the beaches and the area is swarming with hot Florida girls wearing skimpy outfits for most of the year. I mean, we are in the 60's right now and you are at 21 degrees!

If he is looking primarily to improve his NBA chances, he should come to KU. But, wherever her goes, he will probably be a top draft pick, so he may let his parents and his hormones direct him to FSU.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Well, at least he's used to the cold weather being from Canada and playing for a school in West Virginia.

Phoghorn 2 years ago

Hey, you never know...he might prefer girls in parkas and UGGs...

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

And you'd figure that Lee, the uber-shot-blocker & Dakari Johnson, the best true center coming out should dominate the post for UK.

Jim Tebow 2 years ago

Kentucky bringing a lot of guys back!? They start 3 freshmen (i believe), a junior, and a senior, and they will all be gone sans the junior. It is an incredibly weak draft this year. Next year will be loaded, so those players should and will leave

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

Harrow is technically a sophomore and is definitely coming back. Wiltjer is also a sophomore, who I believe has had a few starts, and he is not going anywhere. To the best of my knowledge, UK has 6 scholarships available and has 5 players committed already. Unless they remove a scholarship from one of the current players, they have only one available.

jhox 2 years ago

I saw a UK roster the other day and they have 17 guys between the current roster and incoming guys they've signed. Optimistically, they may have 3 guys make the jump. No matter how you slice it, Slick Cal is already going to have to run some guys just to make room for those already committed. While I believe neither Randle nor Wiggins would have no trouble cracking the starting line up there, why on Earth would either want to take that chance at this point?

Add to the arguement that the Harrison twins are, by many accounts, guys who are not fun to play with and UK would be a poor choice for either of these guys.

Ken Sedgwick 2 years ago

Very impressive! You beat KU how many times?

Dee Shaw 2 years ago

And how we fared against TCU. Don't go there. The TCU loss is a disaster. You beat one of the worst teams in Div 1. we have the title all by ourselves.

Dee Shaw 2 years ago

TCU. Don't go there that we beat KSU twice. If we would have beaten TCU we would have this Big 12 title all wrapped up. That loss is one of the worst losses ever by a Div 1 team. TCU is so bad. I bleed crimson and blue but don't go there with KSU.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

Congrats on that HUGE accomplishment.

We did something even more worthless - we swept K-State.

Wait - we ALWAYS do that..........

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

So - you remember 3 times out of the last 100+ years - Seriously? That's your rebuttal?

KGphoto 2 years ago

You are drowning here. Even other KSU fans want you to stop.

Jim Erickson 2 years ago

Do some research... We have split conference titles in our time. Happily though, we have never split a conference title with someone who slaughtered us twice in one year!

kusayzone 2 years ago

EMAW is just another way of crying...Go KSU

Janella Williams 2 years ago

I always thought that "EMAW" sounds like the noise a donkey (or jack*ss) makes.

jaybate 2 years ago

There was a time back in the Gardner/winter/Hartman/fitzsimmons era, when KSU fans had some self respect and hoops IQ. they knew as much about the game as KU fans. Now they comment like eighth wits. Beating this pathetic poster down is just being cruel to an experimental hog. Next.

zabs, you little whelp,

Telegraph me that you know Jack Gardner was pre Ruth Buzzi; that you knw how he made'em run; that he is with Roy Williams and Ricky Pitts still one of only three coaches to take two teams to the Final Four; that he left KSU for Utah and the Runnin', well, now its Utes; that he learned his game at USC under the great Sam Berry and brought Tex Winter with the triple post that Mike and Phil and Tex called the Triangle; that you knew he loved to hunt and fish the Big Rock Candy Mountain so much that he went home to his wilderness rather than stay as KSU; that you know the Fat Man went to Utah in part because he learned the legend of Jack Gardner back when he was a wee lad in Sheboygan Falls and assisting Maguire and Raymonds at Marquette; that he's in the Kansas sports hall of fame; that Jack Gardener was to basketball coaching what, say, Lee Petty was to stock car racing back when men were men and everyone still thought the big slapping sound between his legs was normal for a man.

Tell me all that zabbie, or RUN THE FLIPPIN' STEPS!!!!!!!

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Wooo! Beat TCU by 11.

How much did KU beat them by the last time they played them again? Like 38 or something?!?!?!

Jeff Schartz 2 years ago

K_177-
Amazing how you troll our board and concern yourself with our details, when we couldn't care less about the Mildcats or their cause. That is the ultimate compliment. It just reasserts how the Jayhawks are significant, and your team is an "also-ran." Here's to storming the court after beating everybody!

Phoggie_Thinking 2 years ago

If that happens congrats. If it doesn't promise you will never come to this board again. Deal?

Mel Clare 2 years ago

And your chances of losing to us THREE times are about 100% if you get that far!

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

You know who we storm the court for?

NOBODY

We're used to winning.

Jim Tebow 2 years ago

You say we are "overrated"..well we beat you guys both times we played. So what does that make the Wildcats?

bobsacameno 2 years ago

Talking trash shows no class. Talking trash when you have no significant accomplishments is just pathetic.

Timmay97 2 years ago

Guys......why do you humor this person? He's on our board for one reason and one reason only......to get under your skin.........which apparently he's doing a pretty good job of for some of you.

He/She knows darn well that K-State poses the tougher game this weekend. Furthermore, he/she knows that K-State is not even in the realm of KU when it comes to basketball (just as KU is against K-State in football).

Stop wasting your breathe replying to any K-State posters. They are irrelevant and their on here to bust chops. This board is for KU, and KU only.

Looking forward to a STRONG postseason.....

jhox 2 years ago

Let K_177 have his fun. This is the first time they've been in this position since 1977. If we were only in a position to win one conference championship every 36 years we would want to have a little fun too.

Our fun will likely start Final 4 weekend and 177 will be sitting on his tractor while we enjoy the culmination of March Madness.

cklarock 2 years ago

He's watched KU in a few, same as the rest of us.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

Ah yes. You would be referring to the year we beat you 3 times and lost to VCU in the Southwest Regional Finals of the NCAA tourney.

I believe you lost to Wisconsin in the tourney before even making it to the SEMI finals that year.

Any other history lessons for us?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

It's your*, not you're, history.

And my mistake on the year. Sweeping KSU hoops happens more times than not, it's an easy mistake to make.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Couldn't even get past VCU. You do realize that, that loss was IN THE ELITE 8, RIGHT?!?!?!?! VCU had already beaten a good many talented teams to even get that far against what was an EXTREMELY talented FSU game the game right before ours even.

4 Elite 8's or farther in the last 6 years. 7 Elite 8's or farther in the last 11 years.

Hard to talk trash against KU postseason performances when i don't think there's a single team in the 300-some or a little less NCAA Div. I teams that can also make those claims.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

Baylor will be playing hard--for a spot in the tourney.

Kansas wll be playing hard for the title.

May the best coach win :)

Randle choosing prior to April means he's not going to Kentucky, IMHO. I would think he would want to know exactly who was staying & going as they already appear set at the PF positions over there.

Also, I'm pretty good at wishful thinking.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Doesn't mean that he couldn't still choose N.C. State though.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

Or any of his other options, but I just don't feel UK is his destination.

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

Just a note, but Dave Telep said a few days ago that he "thinks" it's between UK, KU and Texas for Randle.

Jerry Long 2 years ago

As I remember the KSU chant, it was eat something or another, but it wasn't "em up".

jaybate 2 years ago

Some say no one on the coasts cares about KU.

What black hole does that leave KSU in?

Robert Brock 2 years ago

One good sign about Randle: Besides his recent official visit, he paid his own way to Lawrence for three unofficial visits. Including the Legends Game. He must be interested.

tical523 2 years ago

Wow, very interesting. I would love to know the conversations between him and Z. Peters.

FearlessJayhawk 2 years ago

Wiggins would look great dark blue. That's as good a reason as any for him to come to KU.

jaybate 2 years ago

"some things that matter more than KSU lurkers"

-- fur balls from a neutered wildcat.

-- ears clipped for bounty from a dead wildcat.

-- wildcat spore souffle served at KSU sororities and fraternities on game days.

-- wildcat genital necklaces worn by KSU fans to games in the octagon of animal experimentation.

-- silage sculptures.

-- tractor-powered vibrators.

-- wildcat-marked posters of Bruce Weber.

-- forced marriages between KSU students and experimental animals.

-- wildcat martinis made with stoli, cow piss, and a clump of cat litter...stirred, not shaken.

--Jim Woolridge Court.

-- frank Martin screaming sesame street puppets.

-- Michael Beasley statuette bongs.

-- posters of KSU strains of biological warfare agents.

-- Landon Lectures.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

Haha common... There's a little malice in there.

I think even stoli might be too classy a beverage for a KSU cocktail though.

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Video of Wally Judge in a purple leotard with a tutu doing the Harlem Shake all the while holding a big face poster of Frank Martin that says "EMAW"!

WETSUhawk 2 years ago

Jay: ASPCA, PETA, and FARM (Farm Animal Rights Movement) groups have a serious problem with animals being forced to marry KSU students.

And I for one support their actions in this situation.

texashawk10 2 years ago

I lol'd at the tractor powered vibrators and I'm pretty sure KSU students don't have to be forced to marry experimental animals. There was a t-shirt from a store that is no longer operation that insinuated that "animal husbandry" was the most popular major at KSU. There's also rumors that KSU students define safe sex as marking the sheep that kick. Just remember KSU students, bah means no!

FL_Jhawk 2 years ago

KU is playing too well now to choke against Baylor. I can't see how we lose Saturday without there being injury or illness. We are on a roll and full of well-earned and healthy confidence. Baylor is, well, playing knowing they have an idiot for a coach who likely will cost them yet another game.

KSU didn't play well at all against Baylor and won because of Drew's dumb play. If they also pull off a victory Saturday, which I don't expect, then fine. It will be fun to watch them justify in their own minds that they deserve a share of the championship when we beat them both times.

jaybate 2 years ago

The short answer as always is 20% trey shooting and a bad disruption stat.

That's all it ever takes.

That's also why everyone is increasingly amazed by what Self and his staff amd his players have accomplished.

texashawk10 2 years ago

Just look at all the top 5 teams that have lost on the road this season to unranked teams. Georgetown just did it tonight to Villanova so beating Baylor is not as simple as just showing up as KU found out against TCU earlier this season. Baylor is also a ridiculously talented team and if they put together for a game in spite of Scott Drew's coaching, they are more than capable of beating KU on their home floor.

jaybate 2 years ago

"Reasons Why Wigs Will Rock the Chalk"

-- wants real NBA money, not that counterfeit stuff in Samsonite reputedly offered AD.

-- likes his NBA money in the bank working for him, not drying out over a still in Bootlegger Hollow.

-- nerlen's shoes too small to fill.

--Too cool to risk his hair starting a Nerlen thing.

--Replacing Nerlen just aint as cool as replacing BenMac.

--WWW is too NCAA radioactive right now.

--Wayne, Brannen, Joel, Conner, Julius.

(Note: all fiction except the last one. No malice.)

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

jaybate - just as a special gift to our purple "friends" - could you please make a list that is ALL malice ? lol

KGphoto 2 years ago

I’d say the fifth one is very non-fiction as well.

jaybate 2 years ago

Xcellent add HEM. thx for the assist.

jaybate 2 years ago

My apologies, KG, as I tell people, I go pretty fast.

Thanks for the Assist KG!!!

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Jaybate - Got to give you props for your "Ohhhh nooooooo, BigManU drank the Duke coolaid!!!!!!" post on Monday. Well done indeed, sir. That was some pretty funny stuff as Johnny Carson use to say.

jaybate 2 years ago

U r a good sport and a better poster!

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Ohio State looking better and better and that's good for Kansas' resume. I'll tell ya, I know a lot of people don't like Aaron Craft, but that guy can flat out ball. I am really interested to see how far they go in the tourney. Craft is definitely a winner and the Buckeyes seem to be peaking about the right time.

jaybate 2 years ago

My next post is for 100, who would have had something wonderful to say as Self and his players seek to win another conference title. It will be wordless to leave a space for him.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

BARAKUF...100 was a fellow poster whose posts were always classsy, well -articulated and truly delightful. I am afraid we lost him about two years ago, but he is always with us in spirit. Never once did he ever blast anyone. Actually, he was the type of poster I wish I could be.

jaybate 2 years ago

Except for Calipari, Oak.

He always laid Cal bare. :-)

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Yes Indeed! 100 had a great take on life, history and basketball. His/Her knowledge was vast. He/She hasn't been around in a while and I hope what Oakville stated isn't true.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

In terms of Basketball Acumen, I bring very little if anything to this board. I realize that. But I love this game and I love hearing you guys talk about coaching, getting better, and basketball strategy. My basketball history goes back to 1988 as I spent my 5th Birthday watching the Miracles bring it back to Kansas. So an added privilege of coming to this board is hearing the elder posters talk about the past greats and what they were like as people and as athletes. There are a handful of posters that I come read at this site because if you pay close attention to what's being said, you can grow as a student of the game as well as a person. 100 was one of those posters. I read everything he wrote. Just like a few others here. I guess I"m a stalker. But I learned as a youngster to take thin slices from people and make them my own qualities if they are redeemable and of high character and moral. It's odd to acknowledge, but I sure miss 100's posts and I think about stuff he said on this board even though he isn’t around any longer. I hope he is okay with me quoting one of my favorite posts on this site. “B.E.L.I.E.V.E.R! -Believe in each other and things not yet seen -Empower people by encouragement -Learn and press on towards the goal -Influence others by being a positive role model -Expect great effort all the time -Visualize excellence -Exemplify the heart of a F.E.R.O.C.I.O.U.S! & dignified champion, win or lose, whether a fan, a coach or a player. This.....is the foundation of what was born in Nebraska a hundred years ago. This is our model now & it's by far the best model available to mankind. It's our choice as to what type of "fanbase" we would like to be. Can we see the ketchup from the mustard? -Recycle, Fertilize & Recruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

-100

Yep, that would be 100.

Ya done good, kid, even though I know you're not a kid.

actorman 2 years ago

Thanks for the post, Blown. I remember that post from 100 -- a true classic.

Matt Strausz 2 years ago

Was 100 the one who always made the posts like "Just beat Baylor"?? I remember seeing his posts but couldn't remember if that was him or someone else who would post something similar to that after each game, referring to our next opponent.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Regarding Andrew Wiggins.

As much as I would love to drink the KU Kool-Aid regarding his anticipated arrival, the cold hard facts are that we are third, AT BEST, on his list of intangibles. Behind Florida State and the family connection [where he can take a mediocre program and make them decent] and UK with the celebrity connection [where he'll be surrounded by MAC A's].

Regarding Julius Randle.

Different story here. I'd say our chances are 50/50 between KU and UK. At Kentucky, he'll have a great chance to win a NC but he will be " ANOTHER FACE IN THE CROWD." At Kansas he will have a great chance to win a NC, be coached and strengthened up [you all don't forget how impressed he was with the Queen of Quads and the facilities] for the NBA and he will be 'THE MAIN MAN."

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

Or - he could go to KSUCK and be a 20-20 guy.

20 pts per game

20 losses per season

jgkojak 2 years ago

I think it comes down to what kind of person that recruit is - how selfish are they, to be blunt. If its all about them, they go to UK. If they are more team guys they got to KU or UNC.

And of course Wiggins has the FSU connection w/his parents - the only reason he wouldn't go there is if he wouldn't get to play in the NCAA Tourn. (not sure how good or bad FSU is projected to be next year?)

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

For you some of you that are drooling at the mouth for some Wiggins/Randle "Stuff". Check out this thread on The Shiver. Again, it's all speculation, but if you listen to the radio broadcast it's at least encouraging.

Don't believe anything, but it's good to read and hear about this stuff in a positive manner for Kansas and Bill Self coming from different parts of the country.

Here is the thread and it starts at post #45. http://theshiver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16168&page=2

I guess the website is www.billisking.com where you can hear the dialogue talking about Randle/Wiggins.

jaybate 2 years ago

Damn, now I have spittle all over myself!

bradynsdad 2 years ago

Am I the only one who was cracking up at Selfs comment about Jordan? Hilarious! Randel did post Saturday on Twitter that he was super excited and ready to commit right now. KU was the last place he visited.

tical523 2 years ago

I was cracking up, I bet the delivery was absolutely perfect from Bill too. Hilarious.

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

Jaybate-In reagards to "Poster 100". I was thinking last night and your post in regards to "100" today makes me think even more now that it should happen.

I don't know what you want to call this forum or this group of posters that come here every day during basketball season, but like any group...I think there should be a "Rally".

What I mean is that people who share a common interest or common love for something should be able to get together and enjoy it at it's maximum potential.

Just like each student group has their own camping or those season ticket holders are apart of the "Williams Fund" etc etc...The LJW site we visit every day is a pretty good group of people.

I'm not sure what you would call us Bloggers/Posters that come here everyday for Basketball information, but I do think it would be cool to have a game with a post or pre party with everyone involved. I think it would be cool as I steal the "Cool" term from Bill Self.

With that said, poster "100" (Wherever he may be) may have just started something fresh and unique in the blog world of Kansas Basketball. I already know who I vote to be the first president...Jaybate!

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

If Jaybate is elected nobody else would get a word in :)

Sam Constance 2 years ago

FILIBUSTER!!!!!

(all fiction, no malice Jaybate)

;-)

jaybate 2 years ago

Excellent point. Therefore I withdraw as a candidate.

:-)

KansasComet 2 years ago

My favorite post of the day! Thanks!

jaybate 2 years ago

Well, hell, Comet, if I had known that was all it took, I would have typed that long ago. :-)

Kirkwood 2 years ago

I'm not sure what you would call us Bloggers/Posters that come here everyday for Basketball information,,,

How 'bout Phoggers

Mike Wilson 2 years ago

I'm really confused about HCBS talking about last year's Mizzou game as Senior Night. Wasn't that against Texas last year?

Bert White 2 years ago

I was just about to say the same thing. I went to both and it's a good thing "miss-who?" wasn't senior night because I had some lack of hearing for an hour after the game, so I wouldn't have been able to listen to the speechs heheh.

jayhawkinnc 2 years ago

Yes, last year's Senior Night game was against Texas. Not sure why Self says Senior Night last year was vs. Mizzou.

Ron Franklin 2 years ago

bc that was the only game he cared about ?

KUStork 2 years ago

The stuff from K-177 was interesting. One of two things is the case. He's either (1) an avid KU fan who's trying to pull our collective chains, or (2) a bloviating KSU fan who needs to get a life (oh, wait, am I repeating myself?). If he's the former, then he'll 'fess up. If he's the latter, I doubt if he has the cojones to "grace us" with his presence again.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

And as mysteriously as he arrived, he was gone! (Good riddance.)

Interesting all his posts were totally removed though.

jaybate 2 years ago

This is like Ray Kroc saying secret sauce has been added to make a Big Mac. It wouldn't BE an MCD AA game without Randle. I had some doubts about Randle, but rebounding from an injury to win a Texas high school state championship? Get a Gulf Stream down there and fly him back to Lawrence for good ASAP.

Suzi Marshall 2 years ago

Take that TX State Championship statement for what is worth. They won the TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools). Prestonwood is the only TAPPS program that can compete with the UIL 5-A schools. Travis, even with the Harrison Twins and other players, has lost 5 games. That says alot about the level of competition, which is tough, and the Twins, who are not team players.

Michael Leiker 2 years ago

Anybody noticing the signs around Lawrence congratulating the team on their 9th conference title? Saw one this morning outside Verizon at 23rd and Iowa. Seems a little premature.

BainDread 2 years ago

It would be nice to get Randle or Wiggins, but I actually hope we don't get both. An occasional one-and-doner is okay, but I don't want to see us become the Kentucky of the Plains. I have experienced the joy of two national championships. It is a wonderful feeling, but I don't want us to sell our Jayhawk soul in pursuit of more. There is also much joy in the relationships we develop with the student athletes over three or four years as they mature and come to understand what it means to be members of the Jayhawk family. Senior night was extra special this year with the four senior starters. I doubt that Kentucky fans will cherish their Senior night nearly as much as we Jayhawks did.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree - I will argue to the death that a team full of juniors and seniors is stronger than a team full of OAD's, last years Kensucky team being a very rare exception.

I'm as stoked as anyone about BMAC right now, but remember when he signed with us he was ranked #34 by Rivals, not #1 or 2. I guess it would be stupid to turn down these young Supermen, but I'd still rather have a bunch of 3 & 4 year guys.

jhox 2 years ago

In Wiggins you're talking about a guy who may be the most talented high schooler to come along in years. Randle is ready made for the college game. Bill Self would win a National Championship with one year of those guys and Seldon. I can't believe you wouldn't welcome a NC in trade for a couple of one and doners. Seriously? It's not like that sort of recruiting class would come along every year.

mikehawk 2 years ago

I really think Jeff's touch from the outside is what may give him a longer career in the NBA. More and more bigs are asked to step out and hit the outside shot, as well as develop themselves as effective passers. The Euro guys seem to be better at this and thrive in the NBA. Jeff will never be a power ball type at the next level, and will be relied upon for rim protection on defense and could develop into an outside threat and have great value in that manner at the next level. I wish he had been allowed to get more shots from out there during this season so the scouts can see he can hit the outside shot. Still, anyone who has scouted him, recognized the touch is present and can be developed. He will never be a star in the NBA, but could have a nice 10 year career and make a ton of money if he gets in the right situation.

jaybate 2 years ago

Best case, he lands Kevin McHale style with a quiet footer like Robert Parrish and a high scoring 3.

Worst case, what you say.

Jeff is pretty darned determined and willful, when I step back and look at what he has fought through to get to where he is.

Chose Ricky Pitts, then said no when his family member got sick.

Landed in Zona when Lute's hair helmet came unglued and after earful of Kevin O'Neill (if I recall correctly), who has proven himself less than competant (good judge of coaches, Jeff), Jeff told the new regime no. Then when threatened with unsavory tactics from coaches holding all the cards on a young guy, he stood up for himself and came to KU. Another excellent judge of coaches.

Appeared to get severely sick from some kind of reaction to the diet he was put on, grew nearly listless, and kept fighting.

Got an ankle fx.

Couldn't get PT, because of guys ahead of him, and shattered confidence, but kept coming.

Got out of himself by going over seas with Jeunneman and apparently found himself there.

Was given up on by most fans, and perhaps his own coach, then played his way into starting on a team that played in the national finals.

Comes back on a team in which two of the returning starters are rebounding from serious injuries, a fourth guy blows in from nowhere, and an incoming 5 star does not pan out, but some how does not lose his focus, and holds other teams to 35% inside, while his teammates heal, develop, and figure out how to run a weird new offense, all when some doubted the team would do all that well.

After being the cornerstone of one of the best starts in recent memory, he weathers one of the weirdest three game losing streaks in the history of college basketball and some how fights through it.

Experiences half a season of opponents unwilling to shoot inside and try to drag him away from the basket, and starts stealing the ball outside to find another way to impact.

Jeff eats adversity for breakfast, lunch and dinner and he just keeps coming.

He may not be the most physically dominant center from a strength stand point, but he's got one hell of a strong will.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

I wonder if Isaiah Austin show up at the game on Saturday wearing his tinted goggles like he did for the Texas game; I can't remember anyone else wearing them before. Maybe this is why his draft stock has been dropping constantly. According to analysts, he is a natural inside-outside four, but he does not like contact and prefers to play like a two.

Is there any coach in that has wasted more talent than Scott Drew? He has a super talented group of players ( that was supposed to challenge KU) and very little to show. His team actually did better when he was on suspension and the assistant coaches were running the show. He is not only a poor coach but not likable either, so unlike his father who was good coach and classy individual.

Sam Constance 2 years ago

I have to say, it's awfully entertaining to read down through the comments trying to guess what that poor KSU fan was saying by the responses he got.

As far as the conference title goes... I suppose it's only fair that, after we won a couple of our conference titles by sharing with a team that beat us, KSU fans will crow about "winning" the Big 12 title. After all, we sort of benefitted from that conference rule about basing the champion upon W-L record only, with no tiebreaker. Of course--and no KSU fan will want to hear this--there was a reason that the Big 12 had the "no tiebreakers" rule in place before this year. So that a team wouldn't have an inside track to winning a league crown because the luck of the draw had them playing their stiffest competition for the crown at home, with no return trip to their competition's home. I think it's safe to say that KU would have won their home game with Texas and Oklahoma State (the two teams that earned the 1-seed in the Big 12 tourney in their respective years), thereby impacting the overall record and eliminating any tiebreaker advantage those teams would have had, if the Big 12 used tiebreakers.

Obviously, that unbalanced schedule is a thing of the past. I have a feeling that they won't ever change the rule to include a tiebreaker, partly because I think the coaches/schools whose initials aren't "K.U." understand that implementing a tiebreaker makes it harder for them to win a league crown, but also because with realignment always right around the corner, it doesn't make a lot of sense to change rules based on the number of teams in the league if it could change at any moment.

Still, anyone with a shred of common sense can look at the fact that KU and KSU have identical records, see that KU beat KSU twice (and in pretty controlling fashion) and laugh raucously when they hear a pathetic KSU fan say something about "sharing" the title. Yeah, you shared the title with a team that swept you in the regular season. Okay. Have some pride.

pathetic KSU fan = redundancy

texashawk10 2 years ago

It was OU not OSU that KU shared with in 2004-05.

jaybate 2 years ago

"Reasons KSU Fans Wear Farm Clothing to Basketball Games"

~Can't figure out how to take the overalls off.

~Waiting for Tom Ford to go country.

~Like the way duck feels against their privates.

~Borasalino harder to spell than John Deer.

~Don't have to change at half time to slop the hogs.

~Can't get enough of those Carhartt bras.

~Like the tie-in of the CAT in Catepillar Large Work Gloves with school mascot--the purple Maine Coon.

~Wildcat coeds get hot for a NOBULL Stud Front Boilersuit.

~Dickies Waterproof padded coveralls protect them from the RedMan spittle that rains down at the Octogon of Losses.

~Nothing quite as sexy in bed as Wolverine steel toes.

~Wildcat men turned on by big Wildcat women in Catepillar cleated Stilletoes.

~Can't beat a hi-viz bustier.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

"~Borasalino harder to spell than John Deer."

Looks like you can't spell it either; surely you meant Borsalino...

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

well.............it's actually John Deere.

jaybate 2 years ago

Dang, shoot me for the typos.

And not one laugh. :-)

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

LQTM - now the joke's on me! I didn't even see that in your post, just in JayHawkFanToo's reply!!

jaybate 2 years ago

I'm outta here. Next victim. Faylor.

KansasComet 2 years ago

KU: Best team in the Nation when in attack mode!

Phoghorn 2 years ago

I wondered if they were the same guy. What is to stop a KSU guy posting as a Coloradoan? Maybe he got Mountain Envy....

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

Did he do that? I must have missed it.

I saw he suggested we beat them in basketball only b/c the refs felt "sorry" for him though...

A ridiculous statement, but it isn't really a crack at her expense.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years ago

UK's fall from grace is spectacular... and I'm loving every minute of it.

soapisurfriend 2 years ago

And he eliminated NCst. I think it's Kansas.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years ago

HEM...consider the source - bleacherreport??? In all seriousness, UK has too many at the #4 & #5 spot next year - Lee, Wiltjer, Johnson, and probably Cauley-Stein. Lee is the best shot blocker in the 2013 class and will be getting a lot of minutes. UK fans are fairly confident Wiggins will sign with UK as long as Poythress declares for the NBA - his recent statements last week about Calipari and current players as well as his desire to play with Andrew Harrison. If FSU was his choice, no need to wait til April.

Sam Constance 2 years ago

What a stupid article.

Which NBA player out of Kentucky under Calipari is an all-world wing again?

Calipari's best NBA players have been guards (Rose, Evans, Wall, Knight, Bledsoe) and bigs (Cousins, Davis). Kidd-Gilchrist is a wing that played wing in college, so not really relevant to the author's crazy suggestion that Calipari can turn a college PF into an NBA SF by forcing them to shoot jumpers until they start making them. Heaven forbid the idea that you utilize a player to their strengths, rather than trying to shoehorn them into a position because their size matches the idea size for that position at the next level.

The most analogous player to Randle that Calipari has coached is Terrance Jones, who Calipari worked so well with as a freshman that he had to come back for his sophomore year, and is now tearing up the D-League.

Of course, the entire idea that Calipari is good at "developing" players when he consistently gets the players that are the most polished to begin with is idiotic. You want to see player development, look at the Morris twins, who were completely different players when they left KU than when they arrived. Back to Terrance Jones, who was basically the same player leaving Kentucky that he was going in. His draft position was more reflective of the glow of their title than anything he managed to do at Kentucky.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Are you saying Randle cut Texas or Kentucky from his recruitment list???? I can't find that anywhere,. but it would be great if it was true!!

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

Randle supposedly eliminated NC State and OU. OU is not surprise.

posted this a few times, but Dave Telep had said he thinks it's down to KU, UK and Texas. His last comment in the video below, when asked for him to predict -- "Watch out for Kansas."

KansasComet 2 years ago

I believe Randle said that he wants to play for a winner? That would be Kansas!!!

Hammertoe 2 years ago

K-State has the opportunity to win both the Football and Basketball Big 12 Championships, an accomplishment KU can only dream of. An opportunity to finish in the Top 25 in both Football and Basketball (how many schools can make that claim). KSU will be opening the college football season in a nationally televised game (unveiling their new $75 million dollar stadium expansion) against the University of North Dakota (who's biggest claim in the press release was beating Kansas). KSU is the number one college of choice of high school students in the state of Kansas for the 3rd staight year. No matter how this season ends, it's been a great year to be a Wildcat!

Your "Little Sister" down the road is not doing too bad....

Sam Constance 2 years ago

They are doing SOOOOOO "not too bad" that they feel the need to come to the message board of the premiere basketball program in the country to validate their own achievements.

Sounds exactly like a little sister--always looking up to big sis, hoping someday she'll be as cool

Also, I have to ask, since you brought it up--I wonder how KU and KSU compare for getting out-of-state high school students. To me, that's a far better measure of a University's worth. Especially a University with a Law School and Medical School. But hey, KSU is probably the first choice to a lot of rural-born-and-raised Kansas kids, and there's no shame in that. I just think it's a little disingenuous to look at in-state enrollment as a primary metric for school worth.

texashawk10 2 years ago

Did you know that KU is just one of two schools to win both a BCS bowl and a basketball national championship in the same season and that KSU is not the second school because A) they have never won a BCS bowl and B) KSU has never won a national title in any sport ever.

jaybate 2 years ago

"What Is It about The Mayor?"

Part 1

Fred Hoiberg has been on my mind. I've been trying and trying to figure out why The Mayor gives Self such a tough time.

Nobody comes up with more headaches for Bill Self, more things he has to struggle to figure out how to counter, than Fred Hoiberg. Why, I sez? Why does an old long range gunner from the South Skunk River Valley cause Willam Self such vexation?

I still don't have a systematic answer. But I've got a mind full of mental notes that I have to share just to clear out some space on the wet drive.

The conventional wisdom is that Fred went to the pros and learned all those incredibly clever things they do in the L, like give the ball to Kobe, or give the ball to Lebron. The conventional wisdom, which I bit on for awhile, too, is that Fred is an NBA genius that decided to do his old school a favor.

Well, there is some truth to the conventional wisdom, but as usual it is of the over simplified variety.

Fred played a couple years for Larry Brown, one of the craftier devils around, who put a team together at Indy that another even craftier devil could win 69% of his games with for three years; that would be Larry Joe Bird.

Bird saw enough in Fred to keep him around a couple more years. Hanging with Larry Bird, who had been taught everything Red Auerbach knew, plus everything all of the Celtics that mattered knew, had some knowledge to impart to a guy like Fred and apparently did. When Bird did his promised 3 and out coaching stint, Bird's replacement didn't need Fred and so Fred caught on for four years in Chicago with Tim Floyd--the guy that coached him his last season at ISU. His first three seasons were spent under Johnny Orr, no slouch himself, of course.

Part 2

Hoi even lead the NBA in three point shooting one season. Hoi is kind of an athletic freak on a small scale. All everything highschool football quarterback. Mr. Basketball in high school. He's got all of the athletic 3Cs one could want--competitiveness, confidence and cunning--and that an eventual coach needs.

Interestingly, when Tim Floyd moved onto the New Orleans Hornets, Fred fled for Minnesota where Kevin McHale was trying to piece things together. One has the feeling Bird might have mentioned Fred to McHale. Kevin "elbows" McHale is another guy who knows his hoops, though not apparently well enough to build winners in Minnesota. And Fred seems to have been drawn into the Minnesota organization perhaps by McHale. No doubt Fred learned a lot about the league and about the administration of an NBA team in Minnesota, but neither Kevin McHale, nor others had enough success to model effective coaching, or effective general managing, for Fred. And in fact Minnesota was not very successful during Fred's two years playing, or his 8 or so years in coaching and front office duties, where he appeared to be promoted to GM, when McHale was moved from GM back to coaching, apparently to ease McHale out the door a season or so later.

So: when I look at Fred's NBA days I see a long stint with Tim Floyd, and a short stint with Brown and Bird, as the times when Fred really probably learned something from somone worthwhile about coaching the game that could apply to coaching ISU.

So since we all know oodles about LB and Bird, lets go back to Tim Floyd for a little while.

Hoiberg played for Tim Floyd his last season at ISU, after three seasons of run and shoot with Johnny Orr. Tim Floyd took over from Johnny Orr's run and shoot Cyclones and added a bunch of muscle and defense in Ames and became a real thorn in the side of KU's Roy Williams.

Tim Floyd brought the kind of toughness to Ames, Iowa, that Bill Self later brought to Lawrence, KS, after Roy moved back under Dean's apron.

Tim Floyd could "coach'em up," as the Okie Baller Mafia puts it in vernacular.

And Tim was nothing if not a member of the Okie Baller Mafia.

Tim started out assisting for Don Haskins. Haskins was the senior member of Iba's great triad of disciples: Haskins, Jack Hartman and Eddie Sutton. Haskins was the only one of them that won a ring.

Part 3

Hence, Tim Floyd learned the game under one of the four greatest Okie Ballers of all time: Henry Iba, Don Haskins, Nolan Richardson and Bill Self. These are the four greatest because to date, they are the only four Okie Ballers to have won national championships.

Haskins won his ring with one of the greatest long shots of all time--a fabulous team--a team which torpedoed both KU and UK to win the ring.

Bob Knight has long venerated Don Haskins and said he is one of the guys Knight learned the big medicine of basketball from; Claire Bee, Pete Newell, Henry Iba and Fred Taylor being Knight's other venerated masters.

So: we know Haskins had the juice and we know Nolan Richardson got enough of a dose to win a ring, and we know Tim Floyd got enough of a dose to at one time to have been one of the brightest young coaches on the horizon. We know Tim Floyd had chops, even if he lost his way over the years.

And Tim Floyd could not only coach'em up, he could also "recruit'em up," In only four seasons at ISU, Floyd dragged in Dedric Willoughby, Fred Hoiberg, Kelvin Cato, Marcus Fizer and Paul Shirley, all of whom went on to play in the NBA. Think about that for a second.

And then recall that Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich were signed to play for Tim Floyd at ISU, before Floyd jumped to the NBA. ISU's loss was KU's gain. Collison and Hinrich quickly decommitted, and signed with Roy. Lucky for KU.

So Fred learned from Tim that you've got to get the horses in if you want to run for the Triple Crown. Tim reputedly got the horses one way or another. And it caught up with Tim a few years ago at USC, which lead to a resignation and a stint at UTEP. Let's hope Fred didn't learn that part from Tim, but the sudden influx of talent at ISU with a guy who had never been a D1 recruiter, causes an eye brow at least to cock.

What else did Fred learn from Tim?

Tim was hired by the Bulls to coach the debris left when the last great Jordan team exploded apart in every direction. Floyd never really had much of a chance for a good record with the Bulls. He finished with a lousy record.

Floyd jumped to the Hornets. He had a lousy record there, too.

But look at Floyd's college records. Despite the controversies that have dogged him, he can get the bodies in and coach.

ISU: 81-47 USC: 85-50 UTEP: 40-27

Despite the controversies, he has added muscle and defense, plus some impact players and gotten them to buy into Okie Ball. He was least successful there, but since the 80s, USC has been a coaching graveyard for most coaches that gave the Trojans a go.

Part 4

So: though Tim is a fallen angel, he apparently communicated a good bit to Fred, and Larry Bird communicated the rest, about the art of winning, coaching and recruiting. No doubt McHale had some gems, too.

But when I really step back and look at Fred and ISU, here is what I see: some four guard stuff on one end and Okie Ball defense on the other, and Okie Ball toughness on both ends.

The ghost of Henry Iba reaches down through the ages in some of the most mysterious ways these days.

Henry to Haskins to Tim to Fred.

Watch out, Bill. He's a tough nut, just like you. And add some Larry Brown and Red Auerbach via Larry Bird, and its no wonder he's giving you headaches.

VancouverHawk 2 years ago

Apparently he's also giving Travis Ford headaches as well - ISU just beat OK State.

With Miami and Georgetown losing, this would seem to increase our odds of a number one seed, assuming we can beat Baylor and win a couple of games in the tourney.

jaybate 2 years ago

I'll be darned. Fred put a hurt on Travis Ford's Cowboys? I really figured that one wrong. I expected Okie State to beat them.

Sam Constance 2 years ago

Word is we're currently the second overall 1-seed, behind Gonzaga. Indiana and Duke are the 3rd and 4th 1-seeds

Lots can change, but I'd say if we win our final game and play in the Big 12 title game, we have that 1-seed all locked up.

YuCoJayHawk 2 years ago

So currently Gonzaga has 2 losses. They had some solid early season wins (Okla St./K St.) but their conference schedule leaves them with a SOS of 76 and only (1 win/ 2 losses) vs ranked teams. Duke has 4 losses and plays at Carolina on Sat. One horrible loss to Miami, and 3 close losses. SOS is 2, and 8-2 vs RPI top 50. New Mexico has 4 losses but all 4 are by 9 pts or more. New Mexico SOS is 3, and they are 8-3 vs RPI top 50, 4 and 0 vs ranked teams. Stephen F. Austin has 3 losses/ Mid. Tenn St. has 4 losses but I'll leave them out of this discussion. Louisville, Indiana, G-town, Michigan, Florida, Kansas St. all have 5 losses. That leaves KU with just the 4 losses. All 4 losses were close games, KU losing by 3, 5, 7, and 6. KU has SOS of 18, RPI ranking of 4. Kansas is the ONLY team of 347 div. 1 teams with 9 wins vs. the RPI top 50. Kansas is also the ONLY team in the RPI top 40 that has a loss to a team above RPI 200. We all know that every tment forcaster is going to bring up the loss to TCU when talking about Kansas in the next week and a half. But my point in all this number crunching is..... Can you imagine how dominating a season KU would have at this point without that loss to TCU?? They would be or SHOULD be #1 hands down, and overall #1 seed in tment. And to restate what Jaybate was saying several weeks ago... This KU team is incredibly good to have been in EVERY game and to have lost the 4 games by only an average of 5 pts. I really think this KU team is set up for a GREAT run in the tment. They can play slow, they can play fast if needed, they have the best FG% defense in the nation, they match up well with almost any style of play. And there is NO team as good as Kentucky was last year waiting for us in the championship.

YuCoJayHawk 2 years ago

Oops, I forgot about Memphis only having 4 losses. Memphis has SOS of 71, but is only 2-3 vs the RPI top 50. They lost early to a good VCU team by 13, then to Minnesota and Louisville. How about the following teams all get put into KU's bracket?...teams that KU has recent tourney history with, or just interesting matchups..... VCU, Memphis, Kentucky, Missouri, Bucknell. We take down Bucknell in the first round, Kentucky in the second round, Missouri in the third round, Memphis in the fourth, VCU in the final four, and beat Duke for the title. RCJH