Monday, March 4, 2013

Linebacker Huldon Tharp will not play for KU football in 2013

Kansas University linebacker Huldon Tharp grits his teeth as he takes off during pass protection drills on Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012 at the practice fields. At left is linebacker Ben Heeney.

Kansas University linebacker Huldon Tharp will forego his final season of eligibility and conclude his football-playing career, KU coach Charlie Weis announced Monday.

Tharp, who redshirted in 2010, had one year of eligibility remaining.

"Physically, my body just can't hold up any more," Tharp said. "I love KU and have enjoyed my time being a part of the football program. Thanks to coach Weis' encouragement, I am going to graduate this summer and head out into the real world.

"I want to thank coach Weis and the entire KU football staff for all that they have done for me. They have treated me very well, and I definitely see bright days ahead for this program."

Tharp started nine games for KU in 2012, posting 55 tackles, which included 4.5 tackles-for-loss. He was injured in KU's other three games.

During his freshman season in 2009, Tharp was a Phil Steele Magazine Freshman All-America first-team selection after recording 59 tackles.

Comments

TulsaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I really liked Tharp, and belive he was a good player.

John Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

Huldon isn't one of those players who put the adulation from fans and others at the top of his priorities. Nor is coach W.

I congratulate Mr. Tharpe on realizing his own drive to excel will serve him as well in life as it has in sports. Thanks, young man, for all you have given the Jayhawk Nation.

kay_you 1 year, 1 month ago

Disappointed, but the right move.

hawk316 1 year, 1 month ago

Best wishes to you, Huldon. Thank you for all the hard work and commitment to KU football. Because you're still a young man, it's wise to consider your future health and well-being. God bless you.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 1 month ago

Can't add anything that has not been said. These comments are one of the main reasons I love being a Jayhawk. FOE!

Kevin Studer 1 year, 1 month ago

Good luck, young man. It takes maturity to know when it is best to walk away. Stay healthy!

Max Ledom 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharp had NFL playing ability. But this has "I'm terrified of whats gonna happen to me after all these concussions" written all over it. Which he has every right to be terrified. Smart move Tharp. You'll do great out there. Rock Chalk buddy. We'll miss you.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 1 month ago

Dude...the real world? Go to grad school and kick back for a few more years!

Brad Farha 1 year, 1 month ago

What a class guy. I'm so glad the red-shirt season made it possible for him to get his degree over the summer. He will be missed.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Tough to see Tharp go, but fortunately the recruiting efforts this season should cushion this blow. Best of luck finishing up your degree and moving on to the real world.

gchawk 1 year, 1 month ago

What a tough, but intelligent, decision to make. Best of luck in the future Huldon, and thanks for all your hard work.

Lance Meier 1 year, 1 month ago

Hate to see him go... Gotta do whats best for the person (player) best of luck! Go HAWKS!!!

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 1 month ago

Good luck in the real world, Jayhawk.

jayhawk_4_life2 1 year, 1 month ago

Man,

I was a big Huldon Tharpe Fan. I thought he would be a great playmaker, especially after his great Freshman campaign. Hope everything works out for you Huldon and it was a pleasure to cheer you on as a jayhawk. Good luck.

pbouldenv 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry to see you go Huldon. Good luck!

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 1 month ago

Most college football players will never even sniff a tryout in the NFL. It's nice to see some of these guys calling it quits before it's too late. In other words, using their heads while they still can!