Kansas defeats Texas Tech, 79-42

• 6 p.m., March 4, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Monday, March 4, 2013

3 and out: Jeff Withey’s long-range shot highlight of Senior Night win

Kansas center Jeff Withey (5) and Kevin Young (40) get hugs from their teammates as they are taken out of the game against Texas Tech during the second half, Monday, March 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 79-42 win over Texas Tech on March 4, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas Tech

Download podcast

Kansas University center Jeff Withey wasn’t going to disappoint his 21,443 Twitter followers — as well as 16,300 Allen Fieldhouse fans — on Senior Night.

The 7-footer from San Diego, who is known for his shot blocking and dunking — definitely not his long-range bombing — was determined to sink the first three-point shot of his KU career in his final home game as a Jayhawk.

“I wanted to shoot one. I think the fans wanted me to. I got a lot of Tweets from fans about shooting a three. My friends back home said, ‘Go ahead and shoot it. You’ll make it,’’’ said Withey, who swished a straight-on three with 5:18 left in the first half of Monday's 79-42 rout of Texas Tech.

He flashed a three-point sign to the fans after hitting the bucket that gave KU a commanding 32-12 lead.

“I knew it was going in. I was ready,” Withey said of being prepared to celebrate. “Before the game, Elijah (Johnson) said he’d get me open to shoot one. I asked him, ‘How should I celebrate?’ It was brought up that’s the way I should do it,” Withey added.

Johnson actually earned an assist on the three — one of his career-best 12 assists in his own Senior Night game.

“He had no choice,” Johnson said of Withey trying a three. “I told him that I was going to drag his man, and as soon as he bit I pitched it back to him. As soon as I turned around I saw Jeff celebrating already.”

Withey can’t wait to joke about his three with a former KU big man, also known for hitting the only three-point try of his career on his own Senior Night.

Zany Scot Pollard, who like Withey is from California, hit a three in the Jayhawks’ Senior Night victory over Kansas State on Feb. 22, 1997, in Allen.

“I heard Scot bragging about that. Not any more,” Withey said with a smile. “I might have to go for the all-time percentage record,” Withey added. “Me and Scot are tied at 100 percent. If I go 2-for-2, I beat him.”

Withey — he erupted for 22 points off 8-of-9 shooting (4-4 from the line) against Tech — has hoisted a three or two at practice during his KU career.

“I’m sure he has,” KU coach Bill Self said, asked if Withey has made threes at practice. “I’ve held him back. It’s very fitting he will be remembered instead of Pollard going 1-for-1 from three. There’s no question who is the better shooter of those two,” Self added, giving the nod to Withey.

Withey had seven points in a senior-dominated 24-4 run that stretched a 13-10 lead to 37-14. Kevin Young (14 points, six boards) scored six, Travis Releford (13 points, 8 of 10 from the line) six and Johnson (seven points) three in the run. Freshman Ben McLemore (13 points), who also likely was playing his final home game, had a bucket in the run.

“It was a great way to send those four studs off, and they’ve been studs the whole time they’ve been here,” Self said. “They’ve won a lot of games, got their degrees and been great ambassadors for our university, and I was certainly proud of the way our crowd acknowledged them and stuck around to hear their speeches.”

The four seniors each spoke for about three minutes apiece following the game, which wasn’t much of a game. Led by Johnson’s nine assists and a combined 36 points from the seniors (Withey 12, Young 10, Releford 9, Johnson 5), KU held a 45-20 lead at the break.

“How good was he tonight? Efficient and just played so well,” Self said of Withey, “but our whole team played so well. Elijah gets 12 dimes and gets nine in the first half. Everybody played well.”

Of the four seniors playing so well, Johnson said: “It’s time to rock out. It’s time to get to business, and I think we all know that. I honestly think that the reason (the last home game) hasn’t hit us yet is because we are so focused on what we have to do. We aren’t dwelling on the moment, and that’s where our heads are at the moment. When I say it’s time to ‘rock out,’ I mean it’s time to go out and leave it all out on the court.”

“Today has been kind of crazy,” Withey noted. “The game was fun and we played hard. For me personally (the thought of the last home game) hasn’t hit me. I don’t think it will for a little while. The fieldhouse has been good to us and the fans have been good to us. This is going to be a night that we will remember for a long time.”

KU will next meet Baylor at 5 p.m. Saturday, in Waco, Texas. If KU wins, it’ll claim at least a share of the Big 12 title.

Comments

farnamjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Might be my favorite Senior class of all time

Rock_Chalk_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I think I find myself saying that after every Senior Night...but you're right, this is a special group of guys. Rockchalk.

Royaljayhwk 1 year, 7 months ago

I also remembered that Pollard was 1 for 1.....funny how something like that sticks with you!

Jared Grillot 1 year, 7 months ago

I nearly forgot about that one, and it was totally sweet to have been in the house for both of those. The place went up last night after that shot. Always loved Pollard... they called him BUD (Big Ugly Dude), and him and his big green Lincoln Marvin - he was just as much an attention getter in school as he has been in the League. Too much fun.

Garrett Coleman 1 year, 7 months ago

It was awesome being there last night! So much energy even though it wasn't much of a game. Withey's three will be one of my favorite memories of this Senior class

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe someone should ask Withey to check his math?

how does 100% beat 100%?

Mike Nicco 1 year, 7 months ago

Dude, don't be a smack. We know what he meant.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

2-for-2 beats 1-for-1 any day everyday > Get it??

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

just for jackdavid, MENSA-challenged poster: “I might have to go for the all-time percentage record,”

you see, he already HAS the all-time percentage record. That's why it's a funny quote. get it? It's fun. and funny. get it? probably not.

Lorena Ben G Solis 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree I also think this is my favorite senior class I'm gonna make sure to make the barn burner this year

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

My itenerary for Saturday: Wake up around 8 and have breakfast. 10am hit the road up highway 6 with my mom (I'm single and my mom's a die hard KU fan too so I`m taking her with me) and give College Station the finger as I drive past on my way Waco. Head over to the Health Shack for lunch and then take the Dr. Pepper museum tour before heading to the new stadium site and symbolically give Drayton McLane the finger for what he did to the Astros. Then I plan on making my way to Ferrell Center and watch Bill Self make Scott Drew cry as KU wraps up their 9th straight regular season championship, hopefully outright but that's beyond KU' control though unfortunately. After the game I haven't decided where to eat yet and then getting home sometime around midnight while giving College Station another 1 finger salute on the way home.

I may be just a little excited about Saturday right now and wishing I could sleep for the next 104 hours and wake up Saturday morning.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 7 months ago

Give college station two fingers, one from me.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 7 months ago

No shame in being excited. Hell, I'm excited for you! I'll look for you and your mom on tv.

KPOP 1 year, 7 months ago

will you be the one with your face painted blue with the crimson wig or will that be your mom. sounds like a great plan. rock chalk.

Garrett Coleman 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm making the drive from Kansas City down to Wacko on Friday night. It will be good to see some other Hawk fans down there!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 7 months ago

Good for you & Mom,& hope she looks the other direction when you're giving all the "German salutes." Not intentionally politically incorrect, that's what my mother called it, she worked in a munitions factory during WWII. Drive safe & show her an exceptionally wonderful time.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 7 months ago

Random thought. I think the impact of Sherron Collins is still felt. I remember that the national title team seemed to like each other and had great chemistry, but never had that family feel. I remember that Collins was the big brother to all those freshmen a year later (2 of which spoke tonight). I remember his senior night being extremely emotional not just for him, but for the whole team. Now with EJ and Rel leaving, that family from 5 years ago starts to break up. That team knew they were good, and unfortunately lost back to back to mid majors. But the importance of Collins sometimes is forgotten. He was the leader that gelled like few others, and now tonight we possibly could see the end to that era. Tharpe, White, and Ellis are now the future of KU ball. Hopefully they keep the family as strong as ever.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Ummmm, don't forget Traylor as well as the incoming freshmen (and Lucas) when mentioning "the future of KU ball."

VaJay 1 year, 7 months ago

.....and that fabulous recruiting class may be even better soon!

JJHawq 1 year, 7 months ago

I think the Morris twins (and Angel) were as much to do w/ it as Sherron.

Alex Wishart 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll second the Sherron family line of thinking. But, You've got to give some credit to Brady and his parents though... They're the ones that showed Sherron a family atmosphere away from home and took him in. I think the bond of friendship between Brady and Sherron really set the tone for the FOE mentality. The Morri (Angel included) carried the torch. TRob gave everyone a reason to keep the family thing going. Which leads into one of the underlying themes of Kansas basketball... Family. HCBS definitely deserves some credit too.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 7 months ago

Great comments Alex and Hawk90. I've been a KU fan ever since I moved to Kansas in 1985, and I've had many favorite players through the years. Pritchard, Jordan, Walters, Woodberry, Vaughn.....god, this is silly--I've already missed some, and I've got about 200 left to name. But I think of all of them, Sherron was my favorite. He played so hard ALL the time, left everything he had on the floor every game, loved playing the game, and as you said--he was a great leader who cared for his teammates. And so much credit goes to Brady and his family for becoming a second family to Sherron. I will always remember my wife giving me a puzzled look as I sat here on my computer--crying--while watching Sherron give his senior speech.

This is my favorite thing about being a Jayhawks fan--there is always a connection from this class to the previous class to the one before that.....You can trace every player back to the group that came before them. Even if there is a "generation" between them, everyone is family. And it makes me so proud to see guys from different classes and different generations sitting together behind the bench. This is a family, and once you're in it you're always in it. God, I'm so glad my parents decided to buy a house on the Kansas side of the state line.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

Is there a player in College BBall that is having more fun than Kevin Young? He seems to having so much fun, it is contagious.

s6u6r6f 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you, seniors. Thank you, Ben. Let's keep rolling along. Rock chalk.

DDDHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Elijah, Travis, Jeff, and Kevin- Thank you all for all of your hard work, dedication, and loyalty to the Kansas program, and to the Kansas fans. We will never forget you, and we look forward to cheering you on the rest of this season! Rock Chalk!

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah. Always tough to be a florist in Lexington this time of year.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm am jamba juiced about EJ! His knees are not just ok. They are getting better. That was the most ease of movement so far this season! His knees looked 25% better than his last game. We are damned near unbeatable now. Our only real unproven link is Perry, but I think he is near ready to rise to a challenge. He needs one solid show before the Madness. Bill will find the moment. One solid show and Perry's confidence will skyrocket. Jam Tray even looked like his right knee had a little more strength. Best of all, a-rio and Bill appear to have cleared the air. I saw a little love there.

Did you see how confidently the starters ran the offense when brought back in with 9 minutes to go? great sign! They know what it takes now. The passing is sooooo crisp.

Recommendation: send the guys once a week to a dome for a shoot around and short scrimmage. Ben needs dome time to adjust, or he will have an ofer his first dome game.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Nearest dome I think of is the NFL Rams's Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

That's a short jet. Screw the bus. Start now. This team has a chance for a ring!

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

If the team flies into Dallas and then busses it to Waco, they could stop by Jerryworld on Friday and Sunday for a couple of shootarounds in the stadium their regional will be.

TXJayhawkGrad 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, Lunardi has KU as the #1 seed in the EAST regional. I sure hope and anticipate that will change. KU deserves a 1 seed in Texas where there is a HUGE fan base in DFW!!!!!

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Self appears really ticked about Pollard having said Self and Hudy finally quit trying to make a weight lifter out of Jeff, and let him be good being a true footer, instead of one of Self's strong, short bigs with KU inches added on.

Scott apparently did Jeff a huge favor by saying something to the staff last off season, but then Scott hugely misread Self's sense of decorum and spoke openly about it in the media this season. Bad Dobby, Scott. Self is too competitive to give credit to someone not on the staff. had you said nothing, he would eventually have come to you. Now it's dog house time. And since you've both got FU money, this could get ugly. Time to buy him a lunch, tell him he is better than Roy, say you screwed up, and keep our house in order. You are a great Jayhawk, Scott, and you will go far in broadcasting, or coaching, if you want it. and your long years in the L mean you are a team player. Don't let a small mistake anyone could have made fester into a grudge. Self has reason to be protected and defended about the issue. It's his turf, not yours. Admit that and this can go quickly away. Self will remember you were right if you acknowledge you stepped on his toes and have learned not to. Plus he is a bad enemy to have. He has been swimming in a lot deeper water than you for a lot longer. Play this smart. I am one of your biggest fans and want to see you succeed. Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

P.S.: and he'll yes you were right about Withey. The facts are in!

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

What you missed in the Self quote about the three, was that Self followed the silence by saying "that was a joke there." If you had listened to the broadcast you would have heard it. Maybe you just read the article, because you are putting controversy and animosity into a situation where it doesn't exist.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Come on, you don't seriously believe THAT, do you?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 7 months ago

I suspect that you're reading far more into the "KU let Jeff be skinny" soundbite than what is really there. As I remember it, Pollard didn't publically take any credit for the Jeffree Withey strategy, and maybe even credited Self and co for playing to Withey's figurative strengths.

Scott is an easy target to poke fun at, and I suspect that is all that Self is doing.

If there is more to you're hypothesis that Self is fueding with Scott, and that Self needs Scott to proclaim that Self is better than Roy, then I'd like to hear your evidence.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Evidence beyond Self's crack backs in the media I don't got.

But that's the only evidence that I would expect to have.

Have you heard Self crack back on any coaches or announcers he is happy with?

Any players?

Self's needle is apparently reserved for those he wants different behavior from--from those he views as not doing it right.

He probably likes Pollard, because Pollard is a character and Self likes characters. He also respects hPollard because Scott played at a level--the L--that Self couldn't. He probably wants him around for recruiting, having played in the L and for talking with his bigs some. But self is massively proper about decorum and pecking order in public. And Scott stepped wrong. And the needle is out.

You want another kind of smoking gun. I've already seen the piece and the smoke I need to see.

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

Give it up. You're off target this time.

oldalum,

Part 1

I could write the same thing back to you with just as much validity, maybe more. You're the one that can't explain why Self is pimping Pollard in public, when he doesn't pimp others in public that don't cross him.

But the problem with "give it up, you're off base this time," is that it is the classic statement of the ideologue--the alias that argues from belief, not reason.

Believe it or not, after posting here so many years, I recognize ideological posting almost instantly. Its been one of the unexpected benefits of posting here. I needed to get better at recognizing such arguments and I owe my improvement in part to you and others like you. :-)

I could be wrong, but you sure as hell haven't given me a shred of evidence to persuade me out of my position. In fact, the evidence you claim to add is precisely what prompted me to remark as I did on the situation.

Unlike ideologues, I am easily persuaded by evidence that leads to more probable and logical conclusions than my positions. I love being right so much that the minute I read a more logical, probable position with stronger evidence I leap at the chance to take up that new position. I will endlessly change positions, when the facts and logic warrant it. I am a being right whore, if you will. :-)

Being right is fun!!! This is why I can never understand ideologues clinging to ideological arguments. It always seems such a drag to me to be wrong that even assuming I am right never makes me feel that much better. You know what I mean? No, I suppose not.

Your argument here distills to this: Self said it was just a joke and so there is no animosity between he and Pollard.

Part 2

So: your argument hinges on two probabilistic assumptions:

a) Self would pimp a professional in public that he had no animosity toward;

b) Self would say after pimping that professional he had no animosity toward, hey, it was just a joke.

Your assumptions seem improbable to me, because:

a) I rarely see professionals pimp other professionals in public; and

b) I have often heard persons pimping other persons, among them professionals pimping other professionals they don't like, chase it with hey, that was just a joke.

Call me a prisoner of my experience, but experience in this case is a kind of data set, despite its lack of randomization.

So: I interpreted it exactly the opposite that you did. Self wouldn't needle Pollard in public, at all, if things were okay between them, and if things weren't okay between them, Self would probably would say it was just a joke, as a technique of getting the zinger and then trying not to seem a male sex unit for having done so. Passive aggressives also sometimes use this tactic unconsciously, too, but I don't know Self, so I would have no reason to jump to this diagnosis of the situation. Also, Self has always appeared fairly skillful and calculating in what he says in public, rather than appearing to be a passive aggressive personality.

Next, oldalum, if I recall correctly, you have evidenced a significant tendency to debate issues with me in the past from assumed belief; i.e., you are right because you are right. Assumed belief is one fairly reliable indicator of an ideologue in my experience.

Your debates with me not infrequently distill to something like this: jaybate, I am right, because I am right, and here is some evidence I am going to interpret improbably as making me right, so give it up.

This, not surprisingly, never persuades me. :-)

Part 3

I could be completely wrong about Self's and Pollard's relationship being conflicted in Self's mind, because I am not close to the situation and I only have a few public remarks to base my speculation on.

And as soon as someone brings me facts and/or inside knowledge of the situation indicating otherwise, I will happily change points of view...so I can be right. :-)

But you telling me that Self's reassurance that his comment was only a joke means there is no conflict just lacks credibility, probability and logical persuasiveness. When was the last time you heard a public figure make a joke about another public figure that public figure detested and following it with "and you know what? I meant that about him/her. I actually really dislike the person I just made that joke about"? I don't recall one example of that and I've been watching public figures quite a long time now.

Self perhaps could harbor a grudge against Pollard, as I suggest, because most professionals that like each other rarely needle other professionals in public about the goof, or gaff, one or the other of them made. Even most professionals that don't apparently like each often appear to try to refrain from such remarks.

Or Self perhaps could harbor no grudge and just be kind of a male sex organ that likes to pimp fellow professionals in public for no reason, and then say it was just a joke.

Which one do you think is most probable?

Why do I even ask? You have already made clear what you think on this issue, right? :-)

You are certain, in the way ideologues are, that you are right, so it follows that I have to be wrong.

I am confident I am right about my interpretation of this situation, admit I could be wrong, and am eager to hear evidence to the contrary, just as plasticjayhawk was to hear such evidence from me.

Part 4

plasticjayhawk and I disagree on my interpretation. He finds my evidence falling short of his criterion, just as I find your evidence falling short of my criterion. But he asks for evidence to the contrary, which is what nonideologues do. You assume your are right, as ideologues do and then make the ultimate ideologue move and say, "so give it up."

I am comfortable with plasticjayhawk saying he wants more evidence to believe my interpretation. I tell him it would not be probable to expect to find more evidence of the kind he wants than what is on the record already from our remote positions. But he gives me pause, and reason to remind myself that my point of view may be wrong, because I cannot produce more evidence.

On the other hand, I scoff at your response, oldalum, because you give me an improbable interpretation of what evidence there is, and then say in effect, "I am right because I am right, and so you have to be wrong, so give it up."

Oldalum, you could learn something from plasticjayhawk.

Well, no, I take that back. That is the problem with being an ideologue. Ideologues deny themselves the privilege of learning the moment they assume they are right.

Rock Chalk!

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

You're saying I am assuming I'm right? Egad, that was the basis for your whole diatribe. Wow.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Egad, you even reduce everything to assuming you're right. I love it.

I was undressing you to buck naked and you're such an ideologue you don't even know it. :-)

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 7 months ago

I always like your hypotheses, but having heard when Pollard said a few months ago, and having read Self's comments about Pollard. I just fail to see a connection. I think that Self is just giving Pollard a little grief in the name of pumping up his current student's draft stock a little. Pollard lives in Lawrence, is close to the program, comes to scrimmages and practices, and seemlingly has no history of conflict with Self. Could Self have some bitterness over something Pollard said a few months ago? It's possible. Does Self hold grudges? It appears that he does. Does Self publicly criticize other professionals with whom he holds grudges? Discretely perhaps he has criticized Weber and Dreww, but not like the public wet willy that he gave to Pollard.

To me it sounds innocent. Pollard's a joker. He can dish it and he can take it. In my experience, there are two types of co-workers. The first type are "work-family" who will tease you only once they have accepted you as one of their own. The second type are the "uber-professionals". They always respond professionally, and you never know whether they like you or not.

I think that Bill Self and Scott Pollard are more of the work-family type. I want to search the archives for examples of Self and Pollard trading jabs in jest, but instead of doing my research I will just enjoy your take while disagreeing.

KULA 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow, that's a fantastic narrative. All based on one incomplete quote. You're such an imaginative writer!

Welcom KULA,

Ideologues flock together. I love it.

There was nothing incomplete about it, of course.

And compared to you, yes, of course, I am like Tolstoi. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

This game in Waco will bring out the worst in Scott Drew and the perfect boss for Scott Drew--Kenneth Starr.

But it never fails. To triumph as a good guy, you have to play and beat the villains, not just the other great coaches.

Go, Bill, go!

And I would love it if CBernie got into the act and challenged Kenneth Starr to 1 on 1 to 10 at half time.

Beat Kenneth Down, CBernie. My bones are on you in that show down. Take him hard to glass and he will beg for mercy!

KPOP 1 year, 7 months ago

a senior laden team is of great benefit heading into March and beyond. Of course anything can happen at tournament time but I really expect this team to be final four bound. They are that good and of course, well coached. KU has 4 guys that start that could step up and score 25 points on any given night. not many teams in the country can say that. There is usually one game in the tournament that gets goofy and with 4 seniors on the floor, huge advantage. RCJGKU.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

I didn't see the post above before it was pulled, so I cannot comment on it.

But I have to ask: how can you know everyone scrolls past someone, anyone?

Unless you are a very diligent online editor at KUSports.com, or back at NSA and in some group assigned improbably to tracking college basketball threads, it seems impossible that you can know this sort of thing.

Why do you say that you do?

Just wondering.

It seems an odd thing to pretend to.

mdm7eb 1 year, 7 months ago

I see these scroll past comments all the time and I chuckle. Love or hate jaybate he makes visting the site worth while. Few fan bases have as many dedicated and informed fans that can write cogently. Dismiss his smart takes at your peril.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

J > SELF - POLLARD You've taken up mind reading now. Self says it's a joke > you say not > got to go with HC on this one.

TOLSTOI > Oops.

SCROLLING > relax man, way to serious > 'odd thing to pretend to'????

Jared Grillot 1 year, 7 months ago

So lucky to be in AFH last night! I didn't think anything would make the crowd go off more than that wicked behind-the-head alley-oop to KY, until that 3 dropped. Right then and there, I knew this game was done and we were just toying with the poor Red Raiders. It was literally like watching a cat with a spider (mice sometimes escape). You know the spider is toast, but it is still too funny to watch the cat smack it around before it gets bored and eats it. Lob after lob, 3 after 3, block after block, steal after steal, you could just feel the RR futility. Glad I could be there to watch it! Thank you Seniors! RCJH

Robert Murphy 1 year, 7 months ago

All of us have prejudices and one that Self has is in regard to big men shooting threes. This prejudice extents to the media as well. Thus, for several years now he has not utilized Whithy's good touch and face up shooting ability. This ability has been obvious watching Jeff shoot free throws. The last game demonstrated what could have been. Look at Kevin Durant if you want to see great range for a big man. Next year we have Embiid coming in and he too can become a long range shooter, let us hope he gets the opportunity. Also Lucas. We watch guards miss countless threes but if a big man misses one everyone says that's a shot that the coach would not approve. This needs to be rethought.

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

He seemed OK with Marcus bombing away. First priority is to get the guards squared away on the perimeter. i think Jeff was having enough success down low, that maybe, if it ain't broke . . . ?

ParisHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Markieff had the green light on the wide open 3 from the top.

One problem is that even the best 3-point shooters miss more than they make, so you need someone to rebound and one of your best rebounders is out of position.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Self let Kief, who was a good shot, shoot the trey ball.

Self let Marcus, who was not as good of a long shot as he thought he was, do it some.

Self as kept others from doing so. I can't recall Wayne shooting the trey much. I suspect he could have if he didn't.

My point in noting these historical cases is that I think Self's decision tree is pretty clear.

Line 1: If player A can shoot trey ball, then go to line 2, else stop.

Line 2: If Player A shoots a higher percentage from trey, than perimeter players , then go to line 3, else stop.

Line 3: If Player A plays with a big that can score inside, then let Player A shoot treys; else keep Player A inside trying to score in the paint, and tell him to save his trey shooting ability for another season.

Jeff could have shot the trey for KU. Jeff could have shot the 17 footer at the top of the free throw circle. Jeff could have shot baseline turnarounds all season, too.

But his shooting percentages in these shots, though perhaps good, would not have been higher than Ben and Travis, so it would have been illogical to route that kind of offense through Jeff. It would have taken Jeff away from the rim and so would have allowed defenses to not sag, and it would have reduced Jeff's rebounding productivity.

Had Kevin been a guy that could have set on the low block and scored enough to make defenses sag, then Jeff might have been allowed to shoot some outside. But even then the question would have been: would you rather have Ben and Trav take those shots, or Jeff?

Jeff is a good shooter. Ben is a great one and Trav is a very good one.

It made most sense to let the best shooters take the long shots with defenses forced to sag on Jeff some. If Self had made Jeff a scorer, Jeff would have taken an even worse beating physically than he has so far. With out a credible, ready to play guy backing Jeff up, it would have been nuts to expose Jeff to that kind of beating.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Ben and Travis have shot the ball tremendously well from outside this season, so there was no need to turn Jeff into an outside shooter. The need was to find a 4 that could stretch the defense some and create some room for Jeff to work on the low block. Perry didn't develop. Neither did AW3. So: they went with the spread high-low system and turned Jeff and Kevin into portable post men scoring off cuts themselves, rather than off back to the basket plays. It has been brilliant except for 3 straight losses, when the reputed funk manifested.

Last season, Jeff could have been a scorer last season, but wasn't asked to score much, because Thomas was so good working inside and then outside and the back in, and because Tyshawn was so awesome getting to the rim. It just never made sense for him to be taking the shots.

But if Jeff learns to shoot 40% from trey in the pros, he is going to have a long career as a back up 4/5 sooner or later.

What I'm trying to say here is this: whether bigs that can shoot the trey are actually allowed to shoot the trey depends largely on what other kinds of shooters the team has.

This team had Ben Mac and Travis shooting 40% plus most of the season from trey.

EJ, now that he is pretty healthy, is a third solid trey shooter and Dir makes a fourth.

It seems obvious why Jeff has not been taking any treys to me.

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

When Self runs heavy doses of high-low with the two bigs like he did when a Morris was in the game, he's not opposed to a big taking an open 3 from the top of the key or the wing to keep the post open. The twins absolutely had the green light and T-Rob took a few 3's as well if he was left on an island.

That's also the most exciting thing about potentially landing Julius Randle is the high-low game he and Perry could run because can put it on the floor and both should be able to make an open 3 enough to keep the post from being double teamed like this year.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

And Dr. B > you know Self has this prejudice because .....????? And this prejudice extents? (extends) to the media shooting threes as well? Let's see, Dr. fissure v/s HC Self > you lose - sorry.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Let me start the stupidmichael ball rolling early.

Well played game at home against a vastly inferior opponent on a night when historically Kansas is unbeatable. HOWEVER, this next game is frightening.

1] We are on the road and timid BenMac may show up!!!

2] Just entering the city of Waco saps about 10% of your own positive energy!!!!

3] The school name and mascot begin with the letter "B"!!!

4] Baylor will be desperate for a high quality win to sneak into the Big Dance!!!

5] Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while and Scott Drew may, accidently, actually make some sound coaching decisions!!!

6] If they are hot, the one thing they can do that we can't totally handle is making threes!!!

7] We could be blinded if they wear those neon banana uniforms!!!

8] If the K-State Kitties win, we'll be under extra pressure to win for the tie!!!

9] Baylor has sucked for so long that the odds are they may just get it together!!!

10] Oh my God, woe is me , the sky is falling and we may get beat 80-0!!!

niemoth 1 year, 7 months ago

we play before ksu and osu do. So even if we lose, osu will be playing for co champs, no way ksu wins at osu when osu is also playing for co champs

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Does it seem to anybody else that we have seen more offensive sets the last five games?

The oooooooooooooooooop-fests we've seen the last two games remind me of 08.

KULA 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree. Back in December this team was reminding me of the 08 squad. Then league play started and I figured "Well, maybe not." But the last few games this team has really gelled. A team that can get off that many oops (like the 08 team) has great athletes and great timing, which usually comes from playing together a long time. I don't see any teams out there with as much talent as us in the starting five. If we win out, I think we're gonna be the overall #1 seed in the tournament.

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

Even if KU wins their next 4, I don't know if they get the overall 1 seed ahead of Duke with Ryan Kelly back. Most people back in December were leaning towards a KU-Duke title game and I think a lot of people are thinking that again. There's certainly other teams capable of reaching the title game though like Indiana, Gonzaga, Michigan St., Michigan, Louisville, Florida, and a few others.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I actually like Indiana a LOT more than Duke. Indiana has more depth and between IU, Duke or KU, Oladipo's probably the most talented overall. Having said that Co. Zeller's probably the most overrated down low.

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

if we win the next four, we're not only guaranteed a 1 seed, but will challenge very seriously for the top overall seed on the s curve.

KULA 1 year, 7 months ago

Know what you mean, texashawk, but if every 1 wins out, I think its between us and Indiana for the overall #1. No way Gonzaga gets it--I'm sure its killing the committee to have to give them any one seed. Greg Anthony mentioned during our WV game, Duke hasn't beaten a top 50 team on the road. I actually see Duke's position as a one seed as more precarious than ours at this point.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I could see Louisville jump up and steal Duke's if they win the Big East. I'll be curious if they would ACTUALLY give it to Miami (FL) if they won the ACC Tourney. I think it would all depend on the Big East or ACC teams paths in their respective tournaments.

Right now I could see

1 (overall) Indiana [Midwest] 1 (2nd 1) Gonzaga [West] 1 (3rd 1) Kansas [South] 1 (4th 1) Louisville [East]

2's likely to still be Georgetown, Duke, Miami (FL) & Michigan State as it stands now. Say Duke in the East, Georgetown in the South, Miami (FL) in the Midwest & Michigan State in the West. If some teams trip up early, Florida would probably be next in-line to jump back up to a 2.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

KULA, I was astonished that an apparent quarter wit could recognize how good this team was, and so was ready to unfurl congratulations, but then you retreated into an admission of metaphorical mendacity. This team is (and as been) about as much like the 2008 team as it is like a Barnes and Noble gift certificate. :-)

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

bate> SELF- POLLARD > your reading minds now? Self says it's a joke - you say not > sorry you lose.

TOLSTOI > Oops!!!

SCROLLING > 'odd thing to pretend to' ????

relax, man getting way too serious over nada > ex. 'metaphorical mendacity'

KULA 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, Tolstoy is an appropriate comparison. This little drama jaybate has concocted out of an incomplete quote from Bill is downright Anna Karenina-esque.

Dear johndave, since u grok 8th grade formalization

Logic + supporting metaphor = persuasive argument

Metaphor + zip = mendacity of substituting metaphor for logical explanation ---> lazy mind

Further,

Finding typo for Anglo translation < = 0 debate points

Also,

Finding typos in high speed posting of board rats with analog lives beyond digital recreation realm = naive board rat

:-)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Two thousand thirteen.

The Jayhawks finish this year.

Get the net scissors.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

A projected bracket .. a bit of a reminder that seeding isn't everything. Would you rather be the #1 in the South, or #2 or #3 in the West?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 7 months ago

You have to be kidding me about that South Region! UNC, Syracuse, then Georgtown in the South vs. New Mexico, Gonzaga, etc West. I'd love fr Kansa to go West if that really ende up being the region.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Agreed. dont want UNC in 2nd round. Absolutely don't want VCU anywhere near us.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Are you kidding? VCU's has a good run, but there season is about to end.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

The team i DON'T want to see on our side of the bracket is VCU!

They scare me.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Stupidmichael agrees and he won't see this post because he doesnt read jaybate!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 7 months ago

So much for Indiana's Senior Night vs MSU. If IU wins the BIG 10, bet they hold a No. 1 seed.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year, 7 months ago

I see a lot of talk about Lucas being the starter next year... Is Embiid that far off?

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

What we know for sure is we don't know.

Self puffed Lucas, but Self also once said Jamari would likely start ahead of Jeff with TRob.

Embiid appears a once in a decade athlete that happened to grow up without ever playing the game till a year ago. Since basketball requires quite a lot of skill, uncertainty reigns regarding how fast Embiid can pick up the game.

Self said he traded 18 for 23 by redshirting Lucas. As with Travis Releford, 19 and 20 might not be all that productive, or they might be. Lucas looked like a guy who had good hoop IQ and moved fluidly on the floor, and that a year of weight work could help.

My guess is Lucas will be better next year, but Embiid will be better in two years.

REGARDLESS, they stand to give kU overwhelming force inside in two years, 3 at the outside.

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

As a freshman who's basically new to BBall, and who is dangerously thin, yes... he's going to be microscopic-appearing far-off from a starting role. I would be surprised if he gets more than mop-up duty when he arrives. Hopefully by year two he will be in the conversation.

KULA 1 year, 7 months ago

OK, Indiana's out for the overall #1 seed. If we win out, we'll be the #1 overall seed.