Saturday, March 2, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Elijah Johnson flexing his muscle at right time for KU

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson flexes following a posterizing dunk against a West Virginia player during the second half on Saturday, March 2, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over WVU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 91-65 victory over West Virginia on March 2, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Ben McLemore, Elijah Johnson, Jeff Withey

Kansas players Ben McLemore, Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 91-65 victory over West Virginia on March 2, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

WVU coach Bob Huggins

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins talks after KU's 91-65 victory on March 2, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WVU

All afternoon, Kansas University senior guard Elijah Johnson delivered lob passes with pinpoint precision and watched teammates throw them down to trigger loud celebrations in Allen Fieldhouse.

Now it was his turn. Naadir Tharpe put one up there for him, and Johnson soared to heights normally reserved for teammate Ben McLemore. Fouled on the play, Johnson still cashed it in and when he landed, he reacted like one of those power lifters after the weights crash. Johnson struck a flexing pose, triggering hundreds in the seats to mime it in the wake of the jaw-dropping play.

“I didn’t even realize I did it,” Johnson said. “That’s just how I felt at the time. It dawned on me like, ‘That was just too strong.’”

He flashed a grin inspired by the memory of the play and his explanation for the flex.

Johnson earned the right to pose by playing a terrific game to end a week that started with a 39-point effort in Monday’s overtime victory at Iowa State.

Johnson contributed more than 12 points, 10 assists, five rebounds, a huge blocked shot and a big steal to KU’s 91-65 victory Saturday against West Virginia. He made everybody on the court with him play better and was largely responsible for Kansas getting so many open shots.

The Jayhawks’ transformation from too shallow to two-deep at point guard took another loud step forward in the fieldhouse, where the usual 16,300 paying customers were treated to some beautiful basketball played by the home team.

Fastbreaks without the ball touching the floor, eight dunks, most set up by lobs, and long jumpers that settled softly into the net abounded. That sort of relentlessly pretty basketball doesn’t happen without the primary ball distributors performing their tasks with high-speed precision.

On an afternoon everything freshman Ben McLemore touched turned to gold, Johnson and Tharpe, in that order, made sure to deliver the leather into those Midas hands whether McLemore stood behind the three-point semi-circle or soared well above the rim on the way to 36 points.

The humble freshman wasted no time in sharing the credit for his big afternoon.

“I want to thank my teammates, especially Elijah for creating for me and getting me open shots,” McLemore said. “Elijah’s a great player, he sees me get on a roll and he wants to feed me. I want to thank him a lot for that.”

Coming off offseason knee surgery and uneven shooting through the season, Johnson’s mind and body have rounded into shape in time for Kansas to play the way it usually does this time of year, which is to say like a team worthy of consideration for a No. 1 seed in the impending NCAA Tournament.

“I think a lot of it is confidence, and I think his body feels a little better right now,” Kansas coach Bill Self said of Johnson’s recent surge. “Maybe the timing’s right where he’s getting his pop back. He looks more athletic. He’s dunking the ball in practice. He’s doing a lot of things athletically that he hadn’t been doing all year long.”

Two of Johnson’s athletic plays came in an 18-second span that turned a game that had not been going KU’s way after West Virginia took a 16-9 lead. The Mountaineers’ Jabarie Hinds stole Travis Releford’s inbounds pass and was going to take it in for a bucket, but Johnson shot down the court and blocked his shot at the rim. West Virginia retained possession on the rebound, and Jeff Withey blocked Eron Harris’ shot, which a couple of passes later resulted in Releford’s dunk at the other end.

Johnson then stole the inbounds pass near the sideline and whipped a pass to Releford, who moved it to McLemore, who was fouled driving to the hoop and made both free throws. The momentum shifted to Kansas and never shifted back.

“I felt like Tyshawn (Taylor), I swear I did,” Johnson said of the blocked shot. “That’s all I could think about when I was trailing him. He couldn’t get that one. He just couldn’t get it, and we fed off it. Not too much credit to me because I put Travis in a tough situation to make that pass (that was stolen), but if that’s what it led to, I really don’t mind.”

Johnson spent most of the day putting West Virginia’s defense in a tough situation with hard drives to the hoop that opened up teammates for good shots. All of Johnson’s lob passes were on the money and so were those delivered by Tharpe (eight points, six assists, no turnovers).

“It’s something you just feel,” Johnson said of the accurate lobs. “I read that back person. I don’t look at Ben. I don’t look at him coming off the curl. I look at that back person who’s supposed to be protecting the basket. I throw it up there, and I know Ben’s going to get it. It’s really not an accuracy thing. I feel like I just basically have to throw it too high. That’s how I approach those situations, throw it too high and it never fails.”

Johnson made three of four three-pointers and has made 10 of 15 long ones in the past three games, improving his season accuracy rate to .354.

“It’s amazing what one performance can do for your confidence,” Self said, referencing Johnson’s 39-point game. “ ... That’s such a bonus for our team when we have our best perimeter shooter from last year now playing up to his expectations because it totally changes the look of our ballclub.”

By the look, he didn’t mean the uniforms Kansas will wear in the Big 12 tournament. He meant the way it looks playing the game he so enjoys coaching. It was one outstanding look Saturday.

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

If we get good guard play and Withey stays out of foul trouble in the NCAA Tournament, our chances of winning a title are as high as anybody's.

April13 1 year, 7 months ago

It could be the most interesting tournament in recent history. After it cuts to 32, it's really anyone's title to take.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm watching a replay at youtube, http://bit.ly/WAsZ9Q (thanks to whoever put it there!!), there's still 10min left in 2nd half, KU had already made 24 assists. Now that's basketball. The game is so fun to watch - they shared the ball very well. This has been what I have been imagining this team can do: 3s, guards penetration, lob passes, dunks dunks dunks, screens, nice offensive power, jumpshots (well, this got to be a surprise: Withey), and our stingy D, of course. If they keep playing consistently like this, we will be bringing home the trophy one more time.

Rock Chalk!

actorman 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks for the link, surreal. CBS, displaying its usual disdain for fans, felt the need to show the beginning of the UK game here in the Bay Area instead of showing the end of the KU game, so I hadn't gotten to see anything after the EJ dunk with 3:30 or so left. I know it was garbage time, but I'm still glad I got the chance to see it. (And I found it ironic that the announcers talked about the thrill the walkons got by playing on national TV.)

Mike Nicco 1 year, 7 months ago

Can you believe they did that?? Typical.

My son was crushed. First time he experienced the CBS nonsense. He didn't believe me at first and kept fast forwarding the dvr. So glad we don't have to rely on them for tournament games anymore.

hawk316 1 year, 7 months ago

I love the way EJ is driving to the basket so much now. What a difference from earlier in the year and earlier in his career, for that matter. Like Tyshawn's play last year, EJ's penetration to the basket is opening up our offense. If he keeps that up, it bodes very well for our success going forward.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 7 months ago

EJ was good, Withey also, Ben was great but the engine didn't get started without the play of Kevin Young! Come on coach where's the love? Stole the ball on an in bounds play under their basket. When's the last time anyone did that for KU that wasn't a guard? I can't remember period!!!

Rock_Chalk_25 1 year, 7 months ago

"Now it was his turn. Naadir Tharpe put one up there for him, and Johnson soared to heights normally reserved for teammate Ben McLemore."

That is a brilliantly worded sentence for a brilliantly executed play.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Made ESPN's top play. However I hate to admit it but Brown from Oklahoma State should of been number one (two-handed windmill dunk).

And if you watch ESPN's top play, check out the love they give to Indiana's Cody Zeller. Worst no-call ever; takes a players legs out from behind.

chriz 1 year, 7 months ago

Okay...where in the world do you find links to SC's top 10? Been looking forever and can't find it...

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 7 months ago

This article really had the same feel as the game did. Gracefully dominate. The Elijah one handed lob throw down and one play had Buffalo Wild Wings hooting.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 1 year, 7 months ago

Story says EJ scored 12 points. Box score shows 4(2pt goals), 3(3pt. goals and 1 FT. That adds up to 18 points in my calculation. What gives?

niemoth 1 year, 7 months ago

It's 4 fg (3 of which were 3's)

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

The FGM figure is the overall shooting and always includes 3 point shots. EJ stats show:
FGM 4-8
3PM 3-4
FT 1-1
Which means he made 3-3 pointers, 1 2-pointer and 1 free throw for,,,12 points.

actorman 1 year, 7 months ago

That reminds me of the comment that the announcers made at the end about how the West Virginia player had made 6 threes and had 17 points. Is that an example of new math???

milehighhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Too shallow to two-deep. Nice.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 7 months ago

Reggie Jackson was Mr. October, EJ is becoming Mr. March.

justinryman 1 year, 7 months ago

I think the biggest thing for EJ wasn't that coach challenged him at the ISU game, I would think he challenges him every day at practice. But that he broke the funk mold.

He was trying to hard to break it and not let it come naturally. Little by little it broke off and by the time the ISU game rolled around he was completely defunkedtified.

He is playing more loose now, more free sort of speak. He isn't pressing or trying to hard, he is just letting the game come to him.

I am happy for EJ that he is on a roll at this juncture of the season. This is the time when stars become legends.

David Lara 1 year, 7 months ago

Ya better ask George Clinton.

mojayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

We're not Peaking. We're Gelling.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 7 months ago

To steal from Jbate-ology, Elijah has refurbished his springs!