Friday, June 28, 2013

Undrafted Travis Releford, Elijah Johnson join NBA summer squads

Former Kansas University guard/small forward Travis Releford, who was not selected in Thursday’s NBA Draft, will be playing summer league basketball for both the Indiana Pacers and Denver Nuggets, Releford told the Journal-World on Friday.

Indiana will compete in the Orlando Summer League from July 7-12. Denver will play in the Vegas Summer League from July 12-22.

Also, Releford confirmed a report he has agreed to a one-year deal with Okapi Aalstar, a pro team in Belgium. The news was reported on the Okapi Aalstar team’s website as well as sportando.net and worldbasket.net.

“I have a deal with a team there (Belgium), but I have an NBA escape,” Releford said. “Meaning if I do go there, I can leave at any point if a team wanted me to.”

Training camp in Belgium opens in August. Kansas City native Releford should have a good idea if the Nuggets or Pacers are serious about his chances of making the team by then.

Former KU combo guard Elijah Johnson, meanwhile, will play summer league ball for the Los Angeles Clippers, Johnson’s agent, Stephen Pina of ASM Sports, confirmed on Twitter on Friday. The Clippers will play in the Vegas summer league in Johnson’s hometown.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Travis brings a lot of nitty-gritty + 6'6 size to an NBA team. He is a slick-as-grease type of finisher around the rim--> he came in with that knack, and he showcased it last year as well. EJ, when on his game (mentally), not only looks the part, but is capable of playing like it. His college career summation is herky-jerky (why couldnt he outplay BStar and Reed? Why the EJ39 game vs. TCU/Mich games?)...so very likely EJ will have to shine for 1 individual workout for the right NBA team (like Rondo's famous discovery), and who knows? (Not one of us on this board knows.) I wish both Travis and EJ the best & hope they make their dreams. RCJH

KansasComet 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Elijah Johnson earned his degree from the University of Kansas. He was a great student athlete and I am proud of this young man.

Michael Luby 9 months, 3 weeks ago

good point Jbate. I think he absolutely will have to do that. Both Wigs and Selden have the handles, size and talent to relieve Naa at the PG.
We cant discount the possibility that Frankamp will get exposed to gamma rays on his way to practice and become Hulkish before late night.

jaybate 9 months, 3 weeks ago

All this talk of EJ, a 5star who struggled at point at KU for many reasons, playing D-league; 4-star Tyshawn, great PG one season barely hanging on in the L; and 4-5 star and KU great Sherron, with no place to play, really makes me sweat relying on Naa and Mason for point guards.

These are three star guys and one is a freshman. Neither one has a prayer guarding all leaguers, much less a future lottery pick in Marcus Smart!

Self has to seriously consider Selden and Wiggins for some PG duty, or we are going to get outclassed at the point physically.

kay_you 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope they can both make NBA rosters but at the very least they should be able to make a decent living in Europe. Wish I could make a decent living in Europe.

Joe Baker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's to EJ and Rel landing somewhere. They deserve it.

Joe Baker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah- great KU comments. I can handle the EJ criticisms. He made a really bad decision by passing to Tharpe out on the perimeter, ultimately losing to Michigan. I also believe the idiot drama and post comments of McGary were blown completely out of proportion. It's all water under the bridge. EJ will be the scapegoat for many angry KU fans. Let's not forget the great things he did for KU. This is a kid that sold out to KU from the very beginning. I loved his attitude early from his frosh season through his knee injury.

The knee surgery isn't what KU and Self claimed. I really believe that knee issue wasn't routine and was worse than we all realized. It changed EJ in many ways. He wasn't the same. I agree with most of HEMs comments. BMorningstar and Reed were the safe players during the VCU game. texashawk is completely right, Morningstar and Reed were not the players of EJ at that time. Early EJ was the EJ we all expected and never got him after his knees. I think EJ and Rel against VCU's athleticism would've made a big difference.

Oh well, looking forward to this season. It's going to be fun.

Michael Luby 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Yah, I am pulling for Trav to land a spot with Denver or the Pacers. Even if he doesn't hes got a gig in a beautiful country, playing basketball for pay! Sweet sweet deal.

DSommersby 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Rock Chalk! Best wishes to these great Jayhawks! Represent, stay healthy, do your best, make some noise, and have fun!

COHawk10 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hopefully Trav can join Shady here in Denver. That would be sweet.

texashawk10 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Travis Releford is a great fit for what the Pacers like to do and I do think he has a pretty good chance of being on their 15 man roster this season and could be on the active 12 man roster by the end of the season.

burgler09 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I think Releford should and will get picked up by the NBA. He is an impressive player, and was the guy making most of things happen at KU.

Jeff Suther 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Although the chances of Travis catching on with an NBA team are slim to none, I do think he has what it takes to contribute to a NBA team

Lee Henry 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Travis is a working mans player....he'll make it for a while.....EJ ?...depends on the european league if they need him...........

And Kevin Young should play a few years overseas....then get into coaching......

Lee Henry 9 months, 3 weeks ago

rover 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm probably a little bias, but I think Travis is a better player than a lot of the players that were drafted. Hope he makes a team!

Jason Keller 9 months, 3 weeks ago

If Elijah is in top form, the Clippers will be shocked that he wasn't drafted. If he is healthy, I guarantee he makes a team.