Tuesday, June 25, 2013

KU basketball notebook: Self still saying no to KU-MU

KU fans celebrate the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime win against the Missouri Tigers, Saturday, Feb 25, 2012.

As long as the Big 12/SEC Challenge goes on in men’s basketball, Kansas University will not be facing the Missouri Tigers.

KU coach Bill Self reiterated that point Tuesday during a Big 12 teleconference, responding with a simple “No” when asked if he anticipated playing MU in the conference agreement.

Self later was asked if anyone had approached KU about playing MU in the series.

“That would never come up,” Self said. “I don’t think Texas is going to play (Texas) A&M either.”

The two conferences have not yet determined how many years the Big 12/SEC Challenge will take place.

In the inaugural year, the Jayhawks will play at Florida on Dec. 10, while MU will play host to West Virginia on Dec. 5.

More on Wiggins

Self said he’s setting his expectations high for 6-foot-7 wing Andrew Wiggins.

Wiggins, who committed to KU last month, is Rivals’ top-ranked player in the class of 2013.

“I would hope that he’s as talented as any player in the country, because from a raw, athletic ability standpoint, he can do some things that I’ve never had a player be able to do physically,” Self said. “But the bottom line is, he’s still just 18 years old. He’s still just going to be a freshman. He’s going to go through ups and downs like everybody else.

“But hopefully by midseason, he’s totally comfortable and is able to really just play and not think.”

Draft talk on McLemore

Self said Tuesday that he believes KU shooting guard Ben McLemore’s game will translate well to the next level.

McLemore is expected to be taken somewhere in the first seven picks of Thursday’s NBA Draft.

“Ben is one of those elite, elite shooters. The difference is, he’s a freak athlete, too,” Self said. “ ... Now, he’s got to get stronger. He’s got to be able to put it down (with the dribble). He’s got to be able to have a little bit better vision passing the ball, things like that, but those are things he’ll grow into.”

Self thinks that there might be a several-month adjustment period in the NBA before McLemore starts to show his potential.

“I tell everybody I’ve talked to, I think by January to February, he could be a guy that’s averaging 13 points a game for anybody who picks him,” Self said. “I do think he has that type of ability, and I do think he could be a potential All-Star.

“To me, he’s the one guy in the draft that — there’ll be somebody else emerge — but just looking at it on paper right now, he’s the one guy in the draft I think has the highest ceiling.”

Self on Withey

KU center Jeff Withey also could be taken with McLemore in the first round, and Self believes the best situation for the big man would be getting drafted by a winning team.

“I’ve seen San Antonio or Miami, these teams that are really, really good … good gosh, how nice would it be to have a shot-blocker that’s 7 foot that can come in and change the game and battle guys around the rim and that kind of stuff?” Self said. “He’s not a natural scorer yet. He’s not a guy that you can draft and say, ‘Well definitely, he’s got to give this team 13 points and eight rebounds or he’s going to be a flop.’ I don’t think that’s what he’s going to be.

“I think he’s going to — early in his career — be a very nice complementary guy that can have a role, but kind of find his way and grow into it until hopefully he can be a starter.”

Ben signs Blackstock

Former KU guard Ben McLemore has signed with NBA player agent Rodney Blackstock, who just recently was certified to become an agent, Sports Business Journal’s Liz Mullen reports. Blackstock is the man who allegedly paid McLemore’s former AAU coach, Darius Cobb, $10,000 and travel expenses last year in an attempt to be introduced to the KU player.

He also allegedly paid for a birthday party of McLemore’s in Lawrence.

Several outlets have reported that Blackstock’s influence in the draft process has caused McLemore’s stock to drop.

Last week, ESPN’s Chad Ford wrote: “McLemore is in a tug-of-war right now between adviser Rodney Blackstock and his agency, Rivals. It’s kept McLemore out of the gym and, for the most part, out of workouts. How much will all of this affect the draft stock? I’m told teams are worried.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 1 month ago

I loved the Missouri series but am extremely pleased with Self's refusal to play them! It still bugs me they left for the SEC. As for BMac signing with Blackstock....

jhox 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree. Letting Missery have their cake and eat it too, would be a big mistake. At least we have a second natural rival in K State. They have none. Enjoy the SEC and all those meaningless games, boys. You sure showed the Big 12. By the way, last I checked KU is bringing in more revenues than MU.

I know several MU fans in KC who already hate being in the SEC and who have lost much of their interest in MU sports.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Eh,...Missouri will just go with the next natural rival in Arkansas.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Indeed they will, but it's not a true rival.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Eh, Missouri will just go with the next natural, geographic rival in Arkansas

jhox 1 year, 1 month ago

Too bad Missery is in the in the other division (of the SEC) from Arkansas. They won't play them annually in football. It just gets better and better for them.

Casey Gee 1 year, 1 month ago

The worst part about that would be that we would break our streak of tournament appearances, which is the longest in the nation right now. For me, that would be pretty disappointing. I agree, McLemore is getting eaten by sharks and apparently doesn't see that it's happening.

Greg Lux 1 year, 1 month ago

I am totally lost here. Where is KU at fault? Ben did all this himself and KU didn't participate at all. Unless you call providing tickets to a basketball player which every school does as far as I know. KU is faultless in this...

Rock Chalk

dannyxo 1 year, 1 month ago

KU would be at fault for using an ineligible player if McLemore took money or other benefits from an agent, forfeiting his amateur status and eligibility. Its a catch 22 with the NCAA because if your defense is that you didn't know, then they hit you with lack of institutional control.

Allen Shepard 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah, he forfeited amateur status by entering the draft. At that point the agents generally give them advances on their future signing bonuses.... not a violation.

Mike Riches 1 year, 1 month ago

It's just a matter of time before the Committee will intentionally set up a KU/MU matchup in the tournament. And as much as I'm on HCBS's side on this, I can't wait for that day to come!!

Greg Lux 1 year, 1 month ago

It will probably be in the first round with KU seeded #1 and MU seeded #16 :P

Rock Chalk

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

It would HAVE to be in the first round to play MU!!! Hah!

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

I live in Southwest MO and all the stores have MU junk everywhere. I can't stand them and hope we never play them again. As a Missouri State Alum, I wish KU would make their new MO rival MO State : )

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Love Self for not playing Missouri. Them border ruffian...bushwackin SOBs don't deserve to play against us. Hope Self never gives in...would be fine with me if we never play them F-sticks again.

Stephan123 1 year, 1 month ago

KU is in a different league from Missouri in more ways than one. Association with the KU brand is a valuable thing.

okiedave 1 year, 1 month ago

Personally, I grew up with the KU/MU series. It has become a part of my DNA. I miss it. However, I think the coaches dreaded the series because the expectation to win was too stressful. MU needs the series, the 2 yearly games they played KU was their only value they had in basketball.

stm62 1 year, 1 month ago

Missouri was willing to throw KU under the bus during conference re-alignment. Enough said.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

Ben signing with Blackstock after all of what I've read on this story is simply mystifying.

Chris1955 1 year, 1 month ago

KU will be playing Mizzou when both teams end up in the B1G TEN in a few years.

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

The B1G passed on Mizzou already.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

At a recent conference, I happened to sit next to our Chancellor. After we talked a bit, I asked her if she or anyone had any contact with the B1G. She said that she had heard rumors but she had not had any contact with them. She seemed to be telling the truth. Great speaker with great poise, by the way. I was disappointed to hear it, though.

Glen Miller 1 year, 1 month ago

Do you really think that the Chancellor would leak something like that to you?? That's how rumors start and as great a person as I have no doubt you are, the chance that you would talk is too much to take.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

08, trust me, writing this felt stupid. It's just that the conversation was going well, she was or pretended to be in a good mood, and it seemed as if she was upfront with me. But if there was something cooking, I suppose that she wouldn't spill the beans to me, no matter how "great" of a person I am!

Eric Schneider 1 year, 1 month ago

I highly doubt the Big 12 goes anywhere. Too many football schools. It would have happened before now if it was going to. The far more likely possibility is for the ACC to go the way of the Big East. I would then expect Florida St, Clemson, and Virginia Tech, and probably others, to join the Big 12. But even that is just my speculation.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

We have no obligation to MU. We didn't bail out, they did.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

Also, they did this over the Texas having too much control in the Big 12. Well, they're not winning athletic events.

Robbk1066 1 year, 1 month ago

There is just a taint from anything from Missouri, no need to foul our mouth with that if we can control it. If we have to in the tournament so be it, you have to earn it there and sometimes that means getting some mud on you doing something you would not normally do. Of anything in this sport it asks you for tests you would never be asked to take yourself.

Ben and Blackstock, I believe in a year or two this will be considered one of the biggest mistakes made by a NBA rookie in quite some time. Others will point to Blackstock as the poster child on how not to handle this process. From first contact to draft, to his early career, this might be the worst train wreck seen in some time for a rookie. I hope I am as wrong as a person can be, but this smells really bad already too. What will make it so sad is that this is a great young man, with a lot of upside who had a chance to change his life. These are rare gifts that you have to be very careful with. If it is lost it will be because of one mans greed.

Mel Clare 1 year, 1 month ago

Only thing good about Missouri is the spring Snow goose hunting up around Mound City!!!!!! Yes, this Blackstock thing is kinda a mess isn't it? I get the feeling that McClemore owes this guy something and is paying him back!

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

Missouri walked away, Kansas did not. Simple as that!

Gary Amble 1 year, 1 month ago

MU walked away from their million dollar game. No one in the SEC can match the environment KU brought to the table. To bad. Why would KU give the Tigers a "gift" when we can schedule a REAL game with REAL National intrest?

Vince Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

I do not miss KU/mu. Glad they left the Big 12. Let the Antlers pull their stunts in the SEC.

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

Really disappointed in the way that Ben has started life after KU. This could be the beginning of a really sad ending. It goes without saying that Ben needs to tighten his circle. Mr. Blackstock has caused nothing but problems and has no agent experience so Ben hires him? What in the world?

mattiesdad 1 year, 1 month ago

Bill just needs to say one thing: Once Misery has finally made it to a Final 4 we will play them. This guarantees the game will never happen!

Hawk8086 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree that we should not play them. They walked away. We almost ended up in the WAC or somewhere similar. A KU / MU game is more important to them than it is to us. We don't need them. I agree with the poster that said the NCAA will pair us up in the tournament at some point.

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 1 month ago

There is nothing of value for KU in playing MU. I'm with Self on this. They wanted to go and now there gone. I don't want to recreate this game for their benefit.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

I've moved on from Mizzou. I rarely think about them anymore. Despite their absence, it doesn't seem like there's something missing on our conference schedule.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Honestly, I think it DID feel like something was missing......'til that game in Ames, Iowa. Aaah, the hatred. Yes! Bring it 'clone fans!!! :)

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

I feel that the main rival for KU is UK. The other wildcats talk about us more on their site similar to KU Sports. The National media are pushing this because of the two coaches who are 1-1 against each other twice in the last 3 years in the National Championship game. This is the UK site, by the way, they charge their fans to write their opinions. I see the first 7 days is free.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

I've moved on as well from the university of missouri-columbia ; )

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

It may be difficult to avoid getting matched up with Mizzwho if the Big 12/SEC Challenge continues.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

UK or UF will always be available. Self will have something to say about that, I think as well.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh, come on! I'm just having a little fun! Lose the junior high teacher strictures mentality. Or just report me. I'll tell you this: I'm not staying after school if you write me a detention.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

I know I am in the minority by long ways here, but I don't like the "take my ball and go home" approach to this. I get all of the hard feelings due to MU's behavior in leaving the Big 12, and I also believe MU got a lot of this going by their open courtship of the Big 10 (when they were really being played by the Big 10 commissioner).

The rivalry with MU does not define KU. I understand that. We can get along just fine without it.

But KU hoops is entertainment. It's enjoyment. It's passion.

Besides a final four, when is that ever greater than when we battled MU? Just my opinion.

By the way, did you know that MU's only national championships in athletics were a men's baseball championship in 1954, and an indoor track title in 1965? And did you know that the current over/under for MU football wins for the upcoming season is 5.5?

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Missouri took the ball and went home to the Dixie side of life--and where they culturally fit. Long term, MU did what was best for them, and I think they made the right choice. I also think that not playing them is the right choice for us. If we play a non-con against MU, we don't gain that much because we're already dominating the area with respect to recruiting. One of the reasons Self chose to play CU (besides sticking it to MU) was that Denver is a recruiting ground that we don't visit otherwise.

Robbk1066 1 year, 1 month ago

HighElite- I disagree. Missouri left the Big 12 for the SEC, a perceived and at the time, and in some cases still better conference for Money, Stability, and better Overall competition. The SEC wanted A&M, they accepted Missouri. In effect Missouri said to the Big 12 schools that we were an inferior, weaker conference in many ways and that they wanted to be tested by better teams with better TV markets for better money. When an organization acts this way it would be incredibly foolish to continue to maintain a relationship with them when they have forcibly shown that they have no respect for you or the conference you are a part of. It is not a question of taking our ball and going home, it is about self respect for ourselves and our organization. We had something of great value, they did not think so, they left. Their view is that we should continue to play for tradition, history, and the rivalries value. Our view is that is why you should have stayed. Missouri will never be relevant in the SEC, as you point out they were never strong to begin with and will only be mid to low level in all sports there. Winning, rivalries, anything of value will not materialize for them except in rare occasions and with limited success. So if there is no mutual respect, or no relevance in any sports to continue playing why should we? We are doing just fine without them. I am sure you will find great entertainment, enjoyment or passion from playing Georgetown, SDS, and DUKE this year. What we had with Missouri ended when they ended it with the BIG12. They actually took their ball and went to play somewhere else, not us.

rtwngr 1 year, 1 month ago

MU made their own bed, let them lie in it. They have no rivalry to hang their season on any longer. They wanted to be a big fish and they wound up being a guppy. The SEC needed a football team they could use to pad their schedule with wins for the big boys like LSU, Florida, and 'Bama. As far as basketball, they'll always be an also ran in any league. MU can just "bite it"!

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

As a ltwngr, I couldn't agree more.

RockChalk26 1 year, 1 month ago

Let me get in on this Mizzou bashing.

MUCK FIZZOU!

STL_Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Forget MU. But I would like to see us play Saint Louis University regularly. Play them at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis and AFH or the Sprint Center in KC. This might help us build on our success recruiting St. Louis.

Dave Coen 1 year, 1 month ago

I couldn't agree more, definitely play St. Louis University every year, besides I am not aware of another Division 1 university in the state and even if there was, we would have nothing to gain by playing them.

actorman 1 year, 1 month ago

That's not fair, jayhawk1956. Missouri State (nee SW Missouri State) is a legitimate Division 1 school ...

Mike Nicco 1 year, 1 month ago

STL-Jayhawk - I lived in St. Louis from 4th grade until my sophomore year of college. Nobody was more surprised than I when we landed McLemore. Has the culture really changed? I can't imagine how much grief you must get.

The day after I received my acceptance letter, I wore a KU shirt to school. That day I learned from my history teacher, in front of the entire class, that the trees in Missouri lean west because Kansas sucks.

I've been back 7 times since 1990, 4 weddings, 1 class reunion, 1993 Regional and the 2005 Final Four.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I grew up in St. Louis from birth to Sr. in high school.

Went to KU (in school for 7 years!) and was in K.C. after school from Spring '98 to Spring '03 [lived on the Missouri-side btw...actually prefer the Kansas City North (i.e. Barry Rd. & I-29 area) to Johnson County side....too snobby & too much traffic down there)

Anyway, I grew up an MU fan but honestly had ZERO hatred for KU. The only team I remember hating back then was OU. Funny that now I'm in Oklahoma! :) Having said that it didn't take me very long my freshman year at KU to develop an INTENSE hatred of MU.

I think it all started w/ Lamont Frazier elbows to Greg Gurley's cheek (and had to reach WAY out to do so) in the game at Hearnes - bleeding at the scorer's table & somehow inexplicably a foul (have no idea what kind they could call there) was called on Gurley!!!!

Jason Sutherland became Enemy #1 w/ Norm Stewart as his spokesman in my time there.

I made fun of Kelly Thames's first name & sounding like a girl. I got laughs for telling Sutherland to return to the Mean Streets of South Dakota.

I went to a KU at MU football game after I'd graduated and was in their press box....revelaed my KU duds under a neutral sweatshirt after the game - Norm Stewart was in said Press Box. My Dad used to joke all the time that I looked like I wanted to strangle him. :)

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd like to see us play Saint Louis in Columbia just to thoroughly piss Mizzou off.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope Self never changes his mind about Missouri. If that were a normal rivalry I'd be in favor of scheduling it. But with Missouri there is too much animosity. Too many years of nasty, dirty deeds from the Antlers. Displays of pure hatred from Missouri fans.

To use a trite, but still appropriate, cliche', they made their bed... now they have to go and sleep in it.

jahawkdave 1 year, 1 month ago

How is Blackstock allowed to get an agents lic to rep NBA players / soon to be NBA players? Aren't his past interactions and payments prohibited by agents. If the loophole is that he was an agent at the time, then the system is flawed.

Ben, Blackstock is a greasy leach, he fooled you once shame on him, now he's fooled you twice shame on ....you?

Glen Miller 1 year, 1 month ago

As much as I hope I am completely wrong.... Ben seems to be making a lot of bad choices that are sending him down the path of a bust. Showing up out of shape for workouts and not performing well in them, sticking with an agent that you should have ran from as soon as you heard he was being shady behind the scenes.... Come on Ben. You have so much potential and promise, I hope these ill advised decisions don't hurt you in the long run. The NBA has chewed him up and spit him out already and he hasn't even stepped on the court.

drtommy 1 year, 1 month ago

Some time it's easy to forget this is a 19-20 yr old. I remember me at that age. I know I didn't have the life experience to handle these types of situations. Just wish him well and put him on every prayer list you know. I think he'll come out of this just fine, it'll probably take him 5+ yrs to figure it out.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't get how or why he wouldn't've listened to the advice of the Drafted players from the year before - T.Rob. & Ty. Taylor.?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

It's just a matter if time before the 2012-2013 season is vacated, right? No more second in all time wins. No more tourney streak. No more Jeff Withey shot block record. No new scoring record for freshman. No 500th win for Self. Nothing. Son of a.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine this morning!! :)

Let's look at how the NCAA works.

KU is a NCAA Flagship University with Bill Self as one of the most respected coaches in the country. We are "the good guys". The NCAA will do everything within their power to protect their investment and image.. For example look how much it took for UCONN to finally get punished....we are no where near that threshold.

Keep the faith, all well be well.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

PS In 1988, Larry Brown was considered a vagabond and a target by the NCAA....HCBS is a favored son!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the alternate outlook, Oak. You always bring a smile to the face of this curmudgeon.

Stephan123 1 year, 1 month ago

The NCAA enforcement staff has dwindled recently and their track record for performance is spotty (e.g., Miami). I agree with Oakville's take on the situation.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Wow! Just Wow! Considering he has been coaching great players for 20 years, that's amazing..

Hey Blown, HEM or Ralster said it earlier, KU may or may not get penalized, this is just an investigation. Until it becomes more, we really shouldn't sweat it. I hope that if it does become more, the NCAA isn't too hard on KU and the coach. Its not like they had any small amount of advanced knowledge of said event in question. It shouldn't be on them.

otaKU 1 year, 1 month ago

Ben making the switch and signing with Blackstock seems very fishy. I really hope this isn't a situation where maybe he has more dirt on McLemore and uses that as leverage to have Ben sign. Clearly speculation but it all seems odd to me.

As far as the BIG 12/SEC series goes, I don't want to play Mizzou, but who else do we play? Florida, Kentucky, and then who?

pill41 1 year, 1 month ago

This seems like the obvious conclusion to me. Ben is forced into signing with Blackstock to protect KU from more serious allegations of improper benefits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Vandy, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, even Texas A & M - they've all been good in past years.

gthejayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I pray you are correct in your assessment, Oakville. Especially considering the leniency the NCAA has shown in recent years to schools like UConn and Duke.

jgkojak 1 year, 1 month ago

The next time we meet MU will be in NCAA Tourn.

Of course, for that to happen, MU actually has to get in the tournament and win a game.

chriz 1 year, 1 month ago

The MU fans just don't understand that we have absolutely no need for them. It's kinda sad, but funny since it's MU. We have very little to gain by playing them.

We are their purpose. They are an old stale turd in the neighboring stall.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

I disagree with coach Self and the majority of my KUSports friends. I'd rather see us playing Missouri, than Missouri Kansas City. I'd rather see us play Missouri than Lamar or Drake or Central Idaho. It seems childish and petulant to me to say "I'll show them, I won't schedule them anymore". Sure I know Misery brought this on by leaving. But a game that I looked forward to every year is gone now. Yeehaw, I hope we beat Towson, and Iona this year.

actorman 1 year, 1 month ago

Wissox, I think you're partly right that there's some petulance involved, but there are other issues at play at well.

The rivalry with MU meant something when we were in the same conference; it wouldn't have nearly the same significance if we play them in a non-conference game. We're also the far greater program, so it benefits them much more to play us than the other way around, and there's no reason for us to give them that benefit.

As far as the schedule, it's easy to pick on games like Towson and Iona, while conveniently ignoring that we also played Michigan St., Ohio St. and Temple. Regardless of whether we play the tiggers again or not, KU's schedule will always be a balance of significant games and games to use for improvement.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

They were on the schedule two times a year in basketball, 3 games a year in baseball, every year in football, every year in volleyball, etc, etc, until they left.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Baylor women's coach Kim Mulkey had the best analogy to describe Missouri and A&M. Ttmhey divorced the other teams in the league, essentially gave everyone in the Big 12 a double one fingered salute on the way out the door, and then had the nerve to act like nothing haooened and want to resume the rivalries as though nothing happened.

I have no problem admitting that I miss the rivalry, but I aslo don't want to see KU voluntarily schedule anything against Missouri any time in the near future. How many of you would go out of your way to help someone out who told you to "f*** off" not too long ago? I know I wouldn't be in any rush to do them any favors in the near future.

Robbk1066 1 year, 1 month ago

Could not disagree more Wissox. You do not let someone disrespect your school, and your conference and then pretend like nothing happened. Missouri made their choices for their own reasons, why can we not make our own choices for ours? Because a few fans will miss seeing them each year? Sorry that is just not good enough to justify a beneficial relationship to a school who obviously has little or no respect for us. Enjoy Georgetown, SDS, and Duke this year, and move on. Missouri sure has...

jay_cheese 1 year, 1 month ago

-Not playing MU is bad for KC....but that isn't KU's fault. Missery misses the being involved with KU quite a bit (and so do the neutral KC fans). Oh well...their choice (and their loss). -BMac will be fine. Everybody's all concerned about agents/fitness...HA. Let the kid make his own call and don't act like you didn't see his potential in this past season. Kid is an amazing athlete with a one of the best shooting strokes I've seen in a while. OK so he gives bad/average interviews....taking off from the free throw line or swishing a covered 35 ft'r is still damn impressive.

RC

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

No one talks about Mizzou BB in KC anymore. Maybe MU can become bitter rivals with Vanderbilt, as soon as MU fans learn where Vanderbilt is located and what their Mascot is.

Lonnie Snow 1 year, 1 month ago

As much as I hear everyone and feel the same way about misery, we all know all of this is about the money. One way or another it will eventually come about. The sad thing is I know ill be watching. And watching them kick there butts. Rock Chaulk!

91hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I do think Kansas made a mistake in their take on the Missouri series. When they left the conference, I thought we should have said that, anytime they wanted to come over to the Fieldhouse or to Memorial Stadium, we'd be glad to have them. We might even give them 30 tickets or so to sell to their fans.

However, since it would not be to Kansas' advantage to go to Columbia or play them in Kansas City, that'd be the extent of what we're willing to do.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 1 month ago

Why would we play them? They're halfway to irrelevance already.

kay_you 1 year, 1 month ago

Ben signing with Blackstock does not help his case.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

I love Ben...but now may be the time to sell most of my McLemore autographed things : / Having a good agent you can fully trust is a must so you can concentrate on one thing...improving your game of basketball and this isn't panning out that way. Good luck Ben.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 1 month ago

I believe it's universally excepted by all sports pundits that Mizzou made a big mistake going to the SEC. The panic is over and they should have held firm but now they're stuck with being a bottom feeder and outsider in the SEC.

Robbk1066 1 year, 1 month ago

Could not agree more, hope they enjoy their money cause that is about all they are going to have left. It makes you wonder how they ever thought they would be relevant again when they are on the outside looking in there and always will be. A&M at least is looking like they belong there in Football. Nebraska I could see and esp. how mad they were about the whole Texas thing, and that was brewing for a long time. Colorado was strange but who cares. They can enjoy all their miles points. But Missoz that move was just plain stupid. Plain stupid.

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd prefer to play somebody we haven't already beaten nearly 200 times.