Originally published June 25, 2013 at 10:20a.m., updated June 25, 2013 at 10:16p.m.

KU Athletics, ESPN announce rights agreement

Part II of Kansas University’s plan to expand its televised offerings on the Jayhawk Network includes a deal with ESPN, with live KU events now slated to be broadcast nationwide on ESPN3.

In a press release Tuesday, KU officials announced a seven-year deal between KU and the media giant that will begin in the 2013-14 academic year. Under the agreement, ESPN3, a multiscreen channel available nationwide through Internet providers, will carry a minimum of 70 live events each year. It is one of the largest deals ESPN has signed to date, according to the release. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Last week’s announcement of a partnership between Kansas Athletics and Time Warner Cable and Kansas City’s Metro Sports received a lukewarm response from fans, but KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said he hoped seeing the rest of the pieces fall into place would make fans of all KU sports teams a little more excited about what the future holds for KU broadcasts across all media.

“From the start of this process, our goals were to saturate the Kansas City market, distribute Kansas programming throughout the state and make our live events available nationally,” Zenger said in the release. “We are meeting these goals through agreements like these with ESPN and Time Warner Cable. Both are significant steps for Kansas Athletics and we are excited about the future for all Jayhawk fans — wherever they may be watching.”

Part I of the deal, which indicated that Time Warner and Metro Sports would provide live coverage of 50 KU sporting events to homes throughout Kansas on various media outlets, made KU the final Big 12 Conference school to sign a contract concerning its Tier-3 television rights. Part II of the deal makes KU just the second Big 12 school to have an affiliation with ESPN, joining Texas’ Longhorn Network.

The news of ESPN’s involvement also connects the two parts of the deal.

ESPN3 will broadcast nationally the 50 events outlined in the original deal (one football game, six men’s basketball games, as many as 16 women’s basketball games, nine volleyball matches, eight baseball games and up to 12 live softball, soccer and track and field events) and also exclusively carry a minimum of 20 additional contests that will be viewable nationwide, as well as in Kansas City and throughout Kansas.

ESPN3 is available in more than 85 million homes nationwide to fans who receive their Internet or TV subscription from an affiliated provider. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, and through connected TVs, via ESPN on Xbox LIVE as well as Apple TV.

The release said that the 70-event schedule was to include one regular-season football game, the football spring game, six men’s basketball games (including two exhibition games) and basketball’s Late Night in the Phog, as well as 16 women’s basketball games. ESPN3 will also broadcast the Kansas Relays and multiple volleyball, baseball, softball and women’s soccer games.

“ESPN3 continues to serve as a destination for college sports fans, and our agreement with Kansas Athletics extends that commitment,” said John Lasker, ESPN’s vice president of programming and acquisitions. “We look forward to delivering these live events to the KU fan base.”

Related story: New KU TV deals may limit handful of hoops games

Comments

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year, 5 months ago

Horrible deal. Tait loses all credibility trying to tell us that this is anything but a travesty.

BringBackNike 1 year, 5 months ago

Completely agree. Tait has been hyping this deal all along. Rustin Dodd's article says that ESPN3 will likely blackout all 6 basketball games. This is going to get ugly.

As of now, the only Lawrence option is Metro Sports on WOW. You know, that blurry, standard definition channel that looks like 90's programming.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess you missed the day they taught sarcasm...

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes I'm typing this right now. Blind.

And "lolwat", reeeeally?

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

I complained after the first announcement and I was told to be patient and wait for the rest of the news. I'm guessing this is the rest and it is every bit as bad as I expected. ESPN3 blacks out people who do not have the anointed Internet providers. There is not a single Internet provider available to me who has made a deal with the devil (or mouse in this case). I have talked to them and they are not willing to pay the massive amount of money required to be one of the chosen. So even though I pay DirecTV for everything possible to get games; I buy season tickets even when I can rarely attend and do anything else needed to watch games; Zenger has BLACKED ME OUT!

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

No, I am losing basketball games and at least one football game. You are lucky to have a choice of an Internet provider that pays the mouse. If ESPN were smart, they would provide a way for the rest of us to get ESPN3 since we are at the mercy of two large companies fighting over money.

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

If you live in the KC area, these six ESPN3 games will be on Jahawk TV/Metrosports anyway. If you live outside the KC metro, you wouldn't be able to watch them before, and now you can if you have access to ESPN3. At the very least this is a small plus for out of towners.

JD Roth 1 year, 5 months ago

We've been able to watch EVERY KU basketball game for years!!!! Now ESPN3???? You have got to be kidding!!! ESPN3 sucks!!!

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

"...six men’s basketball games (including two exhibition games)."

Four regular season games and two exhibition games. These are games that are only on Jayhawk Network anyway, so this can only add viewers outside KC that have certain providers. All the other games will still be on ESPN/CBS. Chillax.

Disclaimer: Not saying I have much feeling either for or against this deal. Just saying that it actually increases exposure rather than taking any viewers away.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

ESPN3 allows me to see every game of the season that's not being covered by another network. I could pay more and have it through my cable provider but with the speed of streaming live video on the Internet, I can watch it there. It's all part of a package deal from Comcast.

I can see why rockchalkunleashed would be unhappy with the deal. I'm surprised that there are still providers who won't or can't allow their subscribers to get both cable, Internet and telephone through one provider.

rschneider 1 year, 5 months ago

Exactly. Not all cable providers have ESPN3 access. The real question is how content is being delivered to the non-Time Warner portions of Kansas. I guess that's the next "exciting" announcement the Journal-World has been promoting.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

Direct TV channel 691 is a Time Warner Cable Sports Net channel, I am going to assume they will make one available for local customers. When TWC and Metro Sports had the Royals in the early 2000 they games were available on all providers not only locally but in the Midwest.

Kevin Heath 1 year, 5 months ago

Let's clarify something first. I am just posing this question. Does this say ESPN3 will be the EXCLUSIVE carrier of said events, or will carry them? I have lived outside Jayhawk territory for quite a few years now (no Jayhawk network etc) yet I've been able to watch MANY basketball and football games on ESPN3 because they have been on there as well. The way I read this agreement is not that ESPN3 will EXCLUSIVELY carry these events...just that they agree to carry them.

I don't believe this will black anyone out from events they would have been getting in prior years. It just means if one doesn't have access to ESPN3 then perhaps they still won't get to watch the relays on TV or additional softball/womens basketball etc.

ESPN3 will be an ADDITIONAL carrier of events already on the local channels, and will agree to televise some events that are not part of the Jayhawk network etc.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

I think you've got it, and I hope others will calm down and read your comment.

Kman_blue 1 year, 5 months ago

Outside of KC and the state of Kansas, yes it looks like ESPN3 will be the exclusive carrier of these events, including the 6 basketball games and 1 football game.

In the KC area and state of Kansas it looks like Time Warner and Metro Sports will be the exclusive carriers for these events EXCEPT the men's basketball games which will also be on WIBW in addition to Metro Sports and still tape delayed on WOW channel 6 in Lawrence.

TaCityHawkFan 1 year, 5 months ago

I hear your problem of watchESPN only being affiliated with certain cable providers, none of which are available to you. However, I am one of the many people that have gone away from traditional cable providers because as it turns out the only cable I watch is ESPN. Everything else is my local channels that are available for free.

I agree with the other poster that stated ESPN needs to wake up and offer a subscription to their service independent of a Cable Provider. This solves all of our problems of not wanting to pay higher amounts just to get all of the bundled joy that they throw in just so you can get ESPN (or the couple of channels that you are interested.

The way of the future is a-la-cart subscriptions to service or availability through affordable services like Hulu, NetFlix, etc. ESPN, although having a presence online, is not accounting for this change and are losing market and revenue by people that will not be forced into a contract with a cable provider just to see a live sports game.

Adapt or die...

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

I wish I knew more about the implications, the money and other parts of this deal but this is where I get most of my information on KU athletics. I do get Bleacher Report and sometimes check out the Jayhawk section in the Kansas City newspapers.

Where I live in NYC, you can subscribe for ESPN3 over the cable channels or get it free over the Internet both of which I get through Comcast. Any way that helps me get the most coverage is obviously important to me, but like I said, I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not.

If anyone can further clarify this deal, it would be greatly appreciated.

OPJayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

This blacks out a ton of loyal Jayhawk fans viewers. Horrible. Wow.

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

Nope. The affected viewers live outside the Jayhawk TV area anyway, and these six basketball games would be blacked out to those viewers in previous years. This deal gives some of these people (with ESPN3 affiliated providers) access to games they normally could not see.

Let me sum this up:

• Live in the KC metro? Nothing changes.

• Live outside the KC metro? Possible access to games you didn't get to watch last year.

RCJay 1 year, 5 months ago

I like the fact that we'll be able to watch some KU sporting events outside of basketball. I don't like that now you have to have access to ESPNU, ESPN3, Metro Sports and a half dozen other channels to watch the basketball games. Some providers charged extra ($10/month) for ESPNU, some didn't have it, and I've been told that only TW and Comcast have Metro Sports. Fortunately, I have access to all of the channels, but I pay for the privelege. Others aren't as fortunate.

AaronHawk19 1 year, 5 months ago

The games will be available on ESPN Full Court across the country. Those of us outside Kansas/KC area have to pay 100 bucks for Full Court to watch these games on our TV already. Nothing changes for those outside of Kansas/KC without ESPN3, those with ESPN3 can stop paying for Full Court and watch on their computer if they choose.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

Just curious, Where have you read that the games for sure will be on the Full Court package? I haven't read this anywhere. I don't think its automatic that since the games are on ESPN3 that means they are on Full Court. If you have a link please share. Thanks.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

And you cannot watch ESPN3 over the Internet?

JD Roth 1 year, 5 months ago

You obviously don't understand it then.

AaronHawk19 1 year, 5 months ago

This deal is either status quo or an improvement for those outside of Kansas/KC.

This deal will likely ending up being better for those in KC. I'd be surprised if these games were not licensed to the other cable providers as TW did with the Lakers.

Michael Maris 1 year, 5 months ago

Some of you Griping Grannies complain about the smallest things. If you were NOT able to view before and you are not going to be able to view in the future. Nothing gained is nothing lost. This sounds like an improvement to me (for all of U. of Kansas Athletics programs). Jayhawk Nation is strong throughout the United States. Not to the level of U. of Texas Longhorns. But nonetheless, Jayhawk Nation is spread throughout every corner of the United States. ESPN is seeing that Fox Sports is going to become a major player in the Collegiate Athletics arena. So, ESPN is starting to shore up the the $$$$$$$$ makers (be it in Football or Basketball).

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

First, I am losing access to basketball games and a football game. So call me whatever you want, but this is NOT a positive development.

KUBowler99 1 year, 5 months ago

No..you're not. It's no different than last year on DirecTV (which I too am a subscriber). Absolute worst-case scenario - you get the Full Court Package if you don't have an ESPN3 provider. Just like last year. I'm not exactly sure what access you're losing at this point. Are you local to the area and concerned about not getting the 6 BB games?

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

Full Court picture quality is awful and yes I do pay for it. It doesn't cover football games. NO I AM NOT LOCAL. If KU Athletics wants to get in bed with ESPN like this, how about making sure all season ticket holders are provided with ESPN3 access?

KUBowler99 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm not local either, and yes, sometimes the full court standard def sucks....but I'm still not clear on what, exactly, you're losing from last year. 1 FB game? Maybe?

As an fyi - if you also have the sports tier package with DirecTV (all those fox sports channels, etc), you can most likely find the HiDef version of the KU BB (and FB) games there. At least that's what I did. I think I had to watch two of the games in SD on the Full Court package.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

If you're that desperate to watch those games that were already limited viewing games, come to this website and follow the game chats and people always have links to the games to watch for free. That is how you solve you're problem.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 5 months ago

ESPN360 was great, then they changed it to ESPN3 and totally screwed it all up. Back in the 360 days I was an ATT internet customer and could watch all of the games that weren't on DISH. Since they've changed it up and you have to be a UVerse customer, which isn't available in my neighborhood, I can't use ESPN3. I stopped using ATT internet not long after this move and unfortunately none of the other providers offer service in my subdivision. Like you I'll either be stuck not being able to tune in or hoping that Dish Alternate channels pick up them up.

namohcan_99 1 year, 5 months ago

So now I can expect to be blacked out from seeing my team play again? Sure seems that way, unless I live in Alaska. "This deal is getting worse all the time!" Lando Calrissian

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

If you are local and you will indeed lose the ability to watch (which I doubt) the one KU football game a year how about buying a ticket to the game, there are unfortunately plenty available. Last year's game against S Dak St was only available on Jayhawk All Access whereas this year game will be on TV or ESPN3 for those not local, this sounds like an improvement to me.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

I do buy season tickets even though I live 1500 miles away and can rarely attend. But thanks to this new agreement, I won't be able to watch the game. The point is that many of us can spend as much money as we want and we are still blacked out because there is simply no way to get ESPN3. Of course ESPN thinks this will cause us to complain to our ISP. Well Fred (it is a very small company that serves a rural area) and I have had long talks about this. He has told me exactly what he would have to pay Disney for ESPN3 to happen. It would come out to about $1000 per customer. My only other choice is CenturyLink and they are the largest ISP to NOT have ESPN3 because of a corporate peeing match over cost.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you have access to ESPN Full Court on your TV provider, they said this would still be available on Full Court? BTW thanks for buying season tickets, wish the rest of our fan base was this supportive.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

I do buy Full Court and the picture quality is nearly unwatchable. But DirecTV doesn't offer the football package anymore. And if I PAY FOR EVERY SINGLE ESPN thing on DirecTV, don't you think ESPN should provide me a way to get ESPN3? That's my point, there is NO LEGAL WAY for me to get ESPN3 simply because there is no provider where I live that will pay off ESPN bounties.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 5 months ago

What about the WatchESPN app on your phone or XBox Live? Those seem to be specific vehicles not affilliated with any particular provider, assuming you have a smart phone or an XBox.

tdub 1 year, 5 months ago

You didn't get to watch any of these games last year, either....

Sam Burns 1 year, 5 months ago

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

rschneider 1 year, 5 months ago

Good question. And the question that it seems that hasn't been answered for Wichita or the rest of the state. If this is the much-hyped Part II, then you'll have to hope Wichita cable companies carry ESPN3. If not, then you're probably out of luck for 6 games. Hard to fathom KU shutting out one of the state's biggest cities out of 6 games.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

This does nothing for those in rural areas or even urban areas but still with slower connections that won't support game video. Still others don't subscribe to the cable system required in order to get espn3. Others have mb or gb limits on their monthly usage and computer video doesn't fit well in that scenario. I sure hope the remaining pieces eliminate any chance that Kansans will lose their football and basketball TV broadcasts.

206Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

It is great for those of us not living in the area. It means I can get more KU through my Xbox 360.

Brad Farha 1 year, 5 months ago

So if you live in the KC area, but not a Time Warner Cable area, does that mean you won't be able to see those games via ESPN3?

longhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't know if this will affect me or not. Have Dish Network in Shawnee county. Don't know if they have Metro Sports, and don't know if my internet provider (Cox) has ESPN3.

But I've always been able to watch the Jayhawk Network basketball games on 13 or 27 (depending on the year), and I've enjoyed DVRing those the last 10 years in order to watch them on my time.

If I can get ESPN3 and IF the games are archived to see whenever I feel like it, then I'm really no worse off than I am now.

In any scenario, I'm no better off, and I could be worse off.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

In an earlier article I think it said WIBW Topeka will still carry Jayhawk Network games. Don't quote me on that but I think that's right. Maybe someone can confirm.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

This still doesn't help the rural Jayhawk fan. Time Warner isn't available, and most rural internet providers don't have ESPN3. I'm hoping DirecTV and Dish step up and get MetroSports which sounds highly unlikely at this point. Looks like I'll be heading to an Overland Park sports bar to watch the 6 basketball games.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

For some of us, the sports bar isn't an option either. If it isn't on DirecTV (what all the sports bars have), they won't get it either. Sure, the bars in KC or Kansas may have access, but this still doesn't help Jayhawk NATION!

AaronHawk19 1 year, 5 months ago

Full Court is on DirecTV. All jayhawk network games will continue to be on Full Court. Bars across the country use this to show KU basketball games and individuals can subscribe for 99 bucks a year.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

Where have you read that they will be on full court? That is good news if that is the case.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree, this deal was not constructed with the rural fans in mind. I'm lucky that I live just outside the KC area and its only a 20 minute drive to a sportsbar that has Time Warner.

AZJHWK 1 year, 5 months ago

What a bunch of whiners! It appears that everyone has forgotten what it was like not too many years ago. Lucky to get one or two football games a year and about half the BBall season. So I am delighted to get the coverage I get. If I lived anywhere close to Lawrence I would be going to these games rather than sitting on my couch.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

Yea, in the 90s those of us in Arizona got the basketball games over the air from a station in Prescott. I do remember how it used to be. Now we have to jump through hoops (no pun intended) and pay through the nose to get those same games.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, but we're remembering what it was like just ONE year ago and not wanting to go backwards.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, First World Problems are problems.

jgkojak 1 year, 5 months ago

Here is my problem w/this-

My dad, loyal lifetime Jayhawk fan, lives in a nursing home. EVERY SINGLE JAYHAWK GAME he puts on his KU hat, goes to the main rec area, and watches the game with a few other residents - it is a highlight of his week.

The nursing home has some broad basic-cable deal with Direct or Dish- he has no computer access, certainly does not get ESPN3 or Metrosports - so these 6 KU games he is going to miss. Its not feasible for him to travel anywhere to watch them - so fans like him (and I'm guessing other older fans who are not in some sort of desired marketing demographic) are completely screwed.

Sure, its 6 games - but a part of living in this area is getting to watch every KU game.

I also think this is a slippery slope and we could expect, eventually, a larger number of KU games to be in that package.

How much money would they really lose letting Ch 38 broadcast the darn game in SD only?

martyks 1 year, 5 months ago

For years, I sent a DVD of each game to a friend who was a professor at KU before he retired. That's how we solved the problem. Your dad could still see the games, maybe not live, but my guess is, he would enjoy seeing the DVDs. Get busy.

Steve Brown 1 year, 5 months ago

I was thinking of my dad in western Ks as well who never misses a game and he won't subscribe to EPN3 even if available and not a candidate for the local sports bar café at 84. Not that his village has one anyway....

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope Matt posts another 'Here's what this really means' article like last time.

From what I can tell, I will gain a ton, as I live outside of the area and am subscribed to an affiliated provider.

It sounds like people in the area, who have Time Warner will gain a ton as well. People in the area who don't have Time Warner might lose the 6 worst basketball games on the schedule (the rest are already picked up by ESPN etc.) The football game wasn't going to be televised anyways before this deal, so they aren't losing that.

People out of the area with an affiliated provider are gaining a ton (like me). People out of the area without an affiliated provider are actually getting the exact same thing as before because none of these events would have been provided out of area at all.

I could be wrong, but this is what it seems like to me.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

And from what he said in the last article, it sounds like locally, those 6 games that were on the Jayhawk Network will still be shown on the Jayhawk Network. You just might not get all the additional programming unless you are subscribed to Time Warner.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

For those who keep saying to get Full Court on DirecTV, have you ever watched one of those games? The picture quality is HORRIBLE. It isn't even as good as SD-quality. So you suffer through the game and see the highlights later on ESPN. Guess what, they are in HD! Why doesn't Full Court get HD? I'm sure it is another corporate peeing contest between Disney and DirecTV. Each will make excuses, but I'm positive it has to do with money. Those of you with ESPN3 get BETTER PICTURE QUALITY than those who PAY for Full Court. So yes I am complaining a lot. I pay through the nose for my TV service. I BUY SEASON TICKETS to both FB and BB even though I wasn't able to personally attend a single game last year. Yet I am the one who is harmed by this "wonderful" new deal.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

But I'm pretty sure you aren't being harmed. If you live out-of-area, you didn't have access to any of this programming last year anyways. Remember, this only affects 6 basketball games and 1 football game, none of which were broadcast anywhere but locally before.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

TinyTim, you are wrong. Those "six basketball games" and "one football game" were broadcast. I have been watching the basketball games for many years, every game of every season. And did you miss the part where the picture quality is absolutely horrible when I PAY for Full Court? In the last two seasons the "one football game" has been broadcast on "Jayhawk All-Access" to which I pay to subscribe. So now the football game has been moved to ESPN3 to which it is impossible for me to receive legally.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

So before, you watched 6 basketball games and 1 football game on choppy, low-quality streams by paying for Jayhawk All-Access and ESPN Full Court.

Whereas now, you will be watching 6 basketball games and 1 football game on choppy, low-quality streams by paying for Jayhawk All-Access and ESPN Full Court.

Even if Jayhawk All-Access is no more, you are losing access to 1 football game. The 6 basketball games are exactly the same as before. You can still access them via ESPN Full Court.

I'm sure you'd like for this package to increase your access to KU sports programming, but you are only losing 1 football game from what I can tell.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

Any deal that makes things worse is a LOSS. Those who aren't complaining aren't affected by this awful deal.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

But you're only losing one football game! That you had to pay to watch! So now you'll be saving money!

Not to mention the many other ways there are to access these games that I'm sure you can figure out.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

Tim, I'm sorry you don't get it. This is a huge problem for many of us. If you are happy with the deal, good for you. But please don't knock those of us who consider it a major deal.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm not knocking you. I'm trying to explain why your concerns are unfounded. The situation isn't bad like you think. In your case, it may not be better, but it also isn't worse.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

I think you have lost me; so you were able to watch the games last year (ESPN Full Court) but it's just bad picture quality, in that case nothing is changing for you bball wise as that isn't changing. As for football, since your ISP, Cell phone provider doesn't offer ESPN 3 then it looks like you are down to XBOX, if you don't want that then I guess you are indeed screwed. I'm surprised DTV doesn't offer Full Court in HD, they offer all their other sports subscriptions in HD.

Phognatic 1 year, 5 months ago

I'll be a little less harsh than AaronHawk19, but rockchalkunleashed, get over it. This deal was made with the university's financial stability first and then the concerns of the MAJORITY of Hawk fans. If watching 6 non-conference/exhibition games at a friends house or bar or in regular definition troubles you that much...move to KC, get Time Warner, whatever. Choose your priorities and quite complaining. We are not all here to serve you.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I've never understood that either. I had the full court package for about a dozen years and I got sick of paying to watch games shot with a Playskool camera. The xbox is only a LITTLE better.

AaronHawk19 1 year, 5 months ago

Pathetic spoiled KU fan. Get over yourself loser. Some of us used to watch even worse feeds on bad internet sites to just watch the games. You complain they are not all in HD? Fans like you make me sick.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 5 months ago

Yikes. I'd hate to see you when you're driving.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 5 months ago

I have SureWest for cable access so this deal means absolutely nothing to me. I will NEVER go back to Time Warner.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

Surewest has ESPN 3 if you use them as your ISP and I'm sure they will also have the KU games on TV just like they did Royals' games when TWC and Metro Sports had them.

notjustbread 1 year, 5 months ago

Get a slingbox people...hook it up to whichever of your friends TV's that get the games and watch his TV through your laptop. No monthly fees....problem solved.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

Slingboxes are sick! I bought one a couple months ago, its freaking awesome.

jgkojak 1 year, 5 months ago

It looks to me like the over-the-air Ch 38/Ch 62 games are kaput and you need MetroSp or ESPN3 to catch them.

JD Roth 1 year, 5 months ago

If that's the case then Zenger needs an ass chewing...

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year, 5 months ago

Whoopie! watchespn.com!

Now we can all enjoy watching KU games in choppy, laggy, low resolution on our 4" smartphones!

Absolute failure by KU.

Matt Tait 1 year, 5 months ago

Lied? That's a bit harsh.

My advice this time around is to let things play out completely before making the final call on whether you're getting screwed or not. You may be. But I assure you that this thing is far from a done deal as the current agreement stands today.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 5 months ago

WHAAAAAAAAAAA! If you're savvy enough to post on this board you'll be able to figure out how to watch the games. Plus it's only six (3rd tier) of them. So if for some reason you're not able to watch the KU vs ITT Tech game on a Wednesday night I'm pretty sure you won't miss much other than Tyler Selfs only bucket of the season.

fearthephog512 1 year, 5 months ago

And what a momentous occasion that would be, ahperse!

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

So Zenger is basically forcing fans to break the law to watch the games instead of making a deal where all fans could have a legal option for watching. Not saying I won't find a way to watch, just that we shouldn't have to use the illegal streams to do so.

jcphawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Nobody is "forcing" anybody to do anything. How did I survive growing up when every Jayhawk game wasn't on TV? This is a good deal for the University.

colreader 1 year, 5 months ago

At a minimum, we can LISTEN to these games by subscribing to Jayhawk All-Access, right? All the fb and bb games? Maybe Altitude Network here in Denver will get involved. Sometimes they air Jayhawk sporting events. What about Fox Sports 1?
And are we saying that, besides the one fb game, the rest aren't going to be televised to ANYBODY?

tinytimhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Matt, PLEASE post a clearer picture article like last time! These people just aren't getting it! (Heck, I might be one of them!)

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

What I'd like to see is a clear picture of what is different from last year so I can figure out what we're gaining and what we're losing, if anything. Some of us have access to cable tv but are not the primary subscribers and therefore cannot use espn3. In our case, we're fulltime rv'ers traveling around the country. Some rv parks have cable but it's not in our name, so no espn3 for us. When we are somewhere without cable, then we use Dish (on a pay as you go plan) but Dish may not have them either. I really don't know but would sure like some clarification so I know if I'm better off or worse off.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

Altitude carries the Big 12 network games that is why you are able to watch those, the only games affected by this new deal(usually 6, 2 of those being the exhibition games against Washburn/Emporia) have traditionally been televised locally on over the air channels and until last year weren't available to people outside the local area unless you subscribed to Full Court. All fball and bball are broadcast on siriusxm, I would pay for that before paying to listen to games on All-Access.

kukevbo 1 year, 5 months ago

This is just great. ESPN3 will be blacked out in KC so there is STILL no way for local fans who don't have Time Warner, Comcast or WOW to watch KU play. What a great big middle finger this whole thing has been to KU fans in the KC area.

The KU athletics department is either monumentally stupid in believing that people wouldn't care about losing the 6 basketball games, or they're monumentally greedy in cutting people off just to make a few more dollars from TWC and ESPN. Neither is acceptable.

This whole piecemeal approach of announcing one little piece at a time has also been a joke. When the writer for the local paper has to keep coming back and writing clarification articles about your cable deal, you did a bad job.

Maybe they'll be 3 or 4 more announcements coming that will clear everything up. I'm really glad that people in New York and Chicago and Alaska and f*cking Siberia can watch KU games but KC fans won't be able to. That's just great. Good job KU AD. Way to go

jcphawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I suggest you find a sportsbar or a friend who will have access. Otherwise, listen to the radio like we did in the old days.

kukevbo 1 year, 5 months ago

It's 2013. Why on planet earth do I need to leave my house to watch the game or listen to it on the radio? Especially since I was able to watch all the games just last year. How is adding all this content and access for people across the country good, when you're removing access for people right down the street?

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 5 months ago

It's 2013, time to get with how big companies function; better or worse. Switch providers, or go to the bar. you live in KC, there must be 8 places in a square mile airing the KU games. I have TWC and don't bother to buy the cable part. Internet only. It's not expensive.

The_poster_kusports_needs 1 year, 5 months ago

Basically, this is Zenger saying that the only market he cares about is KC. I'd like to see a real reporter ask him why he is purposefully reducing the size of KU's footprint and influence to an area that it already controlled.

rschneider 1 year, 5 months ago

No one (KU or media) has explained how those outside Time Warner KC people, Lawrence and Topeka will have access to games. Right now, you have to assume the rest of the state will hope their carriers support ESPN3. Be nice to see some additional reporting beyond the press release.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

For those who say its only 6 games and 1 football.....this is the most excited I have been all summer for our teams.....ever. Those are 6 games where guys could go off for 30+...i want to watch that. Watching a KU game is what I live for, my wife knows to leave me alone and let me be, its my time! Now I have to give up 20% of it?

PS its Wiggin's only year....but now there are 6 games that I may not see, or if I do watch will be lagging half the time.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

back in kc now, directv customer so kcmo/38 the spot, when i was in cleveland it was through some website out of russia. i cant remember what it was now.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

So you'll be able to watch all the games this year. They stated when all this started they will be on all providers in the state of KS and KC, direct tv channel 691 is Time Warner Cable Sports Net so I am very confident that I'll be able to watch the games. If not I'll watch on espn3 if I want to but those games aren't high on my priority list, their basically glorified practices so I don't get too excited about them. I do understand though other people do find them enjoyable and I think only in rare instances will people not be able to watch.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope your right, personally I would love to watch a "glorified practice" in fact I would almost rather watch a practice then some of our games this year, we have tons of depth at all the spots and what 8 guys on the team who didnt play a min last year for KU? I am a junkie and cant get a fix until there is a streaming camera inside AFH

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

You're wrong, as of right now. Currently DirecTV in the KC Metro will not have the 6 games. There is a possibility they get the rights from TWC for those games, but that is not certain (nor have they said they are trying).

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Players won't go off for 30+ in those games (except the two exhibition games) because Self won't have the starters in long enough to get to 30 points.

waxtron 1 year, 5 months ago

I hate Time Warner cable. They are the absolute worst cable company to deal with in the KC area. I have not been able to afford cable for a few years & won't for the foreseeable future. I watch every football & basketball game I can on TV. When the game isn't on local TV, I watch it on a horrible overseas Internet feed. Losing these six games hurts. This means the only games I will be able to fully enjoy will be the one or two that are on CBS (which doesn't come in very well). I would love to watch all of the new content but TWC is too awful to endure.

Laura Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

This is very confusing. I live in Lawrence, have WOW and get espn3, but does this mean that six basketball games will ONLY be available on espn3? Or will they still be televised in Lawrence? Reading the comments have just made me more confused.

My dad will go ballistic if he can't get every single basketball game on his television (as we have done so in this town/county for well over a decade). He lives eight miles outside of town, has WOW for internet and Win 7 computers and CANNOT stream video because the speed is so poor (and that's the best option for internet he can get).

There are still people who just watch tv. I guess they're dinosaurs.

BringBackNike 1 year, 5 months ago

If you have WOW, you have Metro Sports, but only in blurry, standard definition. The games will also be blacked out on ESPN3. Lawrence is going to go ballistic! This could get ugly real fast.

ccarp 1 year, 5 months ago

Since this is all about money, can we get some figures and durations for these contracts?

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't understand what people aren't understanding, when this was initially announced they said it would be available on ALL providers in KS and KC, just like when the Royals were on Metro Sports/TWC 2003-2007, they were on all providers. The only ones that are truely screwed are the people who don't have a tv provider or ISP, some rural people in other parts of the country may also not get to see these 6 games but how is that any different than before? For those with Direct TV Time Warner Sports Network is on channel 691, I am going to assume DTV will provide those games on that channel or a different TWCSN channel when KU is on.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

When I go to www directv.com/guide there is no channel 691

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

I am going to assume they will dedicate a channel for the local production of TWCSN like they are doing for SoCal. No we don't have the pull that they do in Cal but much like the do for FSNKC 672 which is basically an empty channel except when the Royals are playing I can see them doing somethig like that here.

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

Stop assuming that because as of right now they will not be on that DirecTV channel. KU and Media have made clear that in the KC Metro area, those 6 games will currently only be on TWC, Comcast, and WOW.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

We must be reading different media, what I've read in the initial reports last week is they will be available on all providers in KS and KC. I'm confident I will be able to watch the games but if I can't missing them beat Emporia by 50 is not a big loss to me.

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 5 months ago

Above link is from Matt's blog last week, it state's they will be on all providers in KS/KC, may be some concern about satellite but I am confident I will be watching them on DTV this year.

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

Feel free to call DirecTV yourself and they will tell you. They currently do not have the rights to those games. I'm pretty confident they will have them by the time the games are actually played, but as of now you won't be watching them.

The articles have all included the caveat that in the KC Metro area, TWC has exclusive rights and only companies that have deals with TWC will get the games. That means if you're in the KC Metro, you currently need to have TWC, Comcast or Wow (and maybe SureWest is getting it?). But, DirecTV, Dish, U-verse, and Google Fiber have yet to strike deals with TWC for this content. Additionally, any deals with TWC are likely for the games only, and TWC's "additional" programming (pre and post games shows) will only ever be available to TWC subscribers.

LFPJayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I live in the Seattle area and primarily watch just the Men's Basketball games. I have Direct TV and the ESPN Full Court package and internet access through Comcast, so ESPN3 is available to me..

It doesn't seem that the number of games that are going to be available on DirecTV is changing; is that correct?

My biggest complaint with the DirecTV coverage in recent years is the number of games that are not broadcast in High Definition (HD), but rather are only available as a very muddy-looking standard definition broadcast on the higher-numbered channels. When are all of these games going to be available in HD in the DirecTV/Full Court package?

Is the ESPN3 coverage going to be HD?

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

You will have access to all of the games. You actually have the option of using your Full Court subscription, or streaming through ESPN3. Since Full Court isn't always in HD, you may want to use ESPN3 because if your connection is fast enough, it is in HD (minus some buffering, maybe).

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

"Since Full Court isn't always in HD". Full Court is NEVER in HD for any broadcasts (KU games or otherwise).

manofleisure 1 year, 5 months ago

I live in KC. I do not have cable, as paying 130 a month was just too much.

All I want to know: will I be able to watch those six games on KSMO?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

www dot kansascity.com/2013/06/25/4312361/ku-athletics-announces-deal-to.html

BringBackNike 1 year, 5 months ago

"Our goals were to saturate the Kansas City market” - Zenger

So, in order to saturate the KC market we remove the Jayhawk Network games from local stations such as 38 The Spot and 62 KCMO? Give those 6 games to only Metro Sports. You know, that super fuzzy, standard def channel on WOW (fka Knology) in Lawrence and not available on U-verse. Meaning that not one citizen in Lawrence will have these games in HD.

Forget about my new 50 inch LED television, looks like I'll be pulling up a seat to my 19 inch computer monitor in the basement.

Thanks Zenger for seeing the $$ signs and forgetting about the fans!

BringBackNike 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess I won't be pulling up a seat to my computer after all. I just read Rustin Dodd's article saying that those 6 bball games will be blacked out in KC on ESPN3. Very "Lew Perkins" of you Zenger.

AaronHawk19 1 year, 5 months ago

Jayhawk network games were broadcast in HD before? Was not aware of that. Also, you assume that it will stay in SD, which you do not know.

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

If you have U-verse, you now have access to ESPN3. Get a cord and stream it to your 50 inch LED. It will be in HD.

BringBackNike 1 year, 5 months ago

I do have U-verse in KC. But Rustin Dodd with the KC Star says that ESPN3 will blackout all 6 games in the KC area. So my only option is to switch to Time Warner, which will never happen again.

always_correct 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry, I thought by your mention of WOW in Lawrence, that you were located in Lawrence.

My condolences for your loss.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Matt?...Hello?.....are you out there???

It appears Kansas Nation needs an explanation or they will go out and down a huge libation, so your time and talent do not ration but explain the mess from this media creation!!

P.S. There's another word that rhymes but I am afraid I'll get the BIG BLEEP if I use it!!!

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 5 months ago

Good grief people. I don't believe all the naysayers here are Jayhawk fans at all.

rschneider 1 year, 5 months ago

So blindly accept anything the university throws out there as awesome?

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 5 months ago

Every article there's someone claiming everyone who believes X aren't real fans. Silly.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

Is this Part II of III or is this the end of the details about the deal?

Jace FitzGibbon 1 year, 5 months ago

someone call the wambulance for rockchalkunleashed. do you think you complaining on every comment will make KU restructure the deals? no, deal with it. I'm in st louis so all i get are SEC games now. put on your big boy pants

Robert Brown 1 year, 5 months ago

I am still waiting to hear how much revenue the Tier 3 deals will generate for the athletic department. I have tried to watch some games on ESPN 360 and the quality isn't that great and last year, my operating systems on my MAC was too old to support programming. In other words, it was a pain.

At the end of the day, I am probably less like a lot of people who post regularly and more like just your average fanatical Hawks fan. The basketball games affected are early in the season against outmatched opponents. I am not going to plan my evening around a game with Washburn. Any game against a quality opponent is not Tier 3 so will be accessible.

I live in Houston and I get to see almost any game I want so I doubt that I or most fans will be that affected by missing these Tier 3 games. I am interested in the revenue that is generated.

Matt- do you have any idea. I would have to assume somewhere close to $10/year. Is that in the ball park.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 5 months ago

I have access to ESPN3, so maybe I'm just not in such a bad place as to complain. But I don't get the complaining. So every single person in the United States won't get to see the Hawks play Ft. Hays State. If I didn't have Cox, I wouldn't be losing a lot of sleep over that. And while this initially leads me to the conclusion that the lack of a Big XII network might be largely to blame for large areas with no coverage, who can say that would have satisfied everybody. If this brings more cash into our athletic programs, it can only be a good thing IMO. And I happen to agree with ahperse on this. If there is a will, there is a way. Last year, I got a trial membership to all access, hooked the mac up to the TV and saw the SDSU game for somethling in the area of $10. That was a heck of a lot cheaper than driving 200 miles each way to Lawrence.

Brian Skelly 1 year, 5 months ago

Im in St. Louis, have DirectTV so wont be getting much love from that. But as people are pointing out, that was true before as well for this new content we're getting. Yes, could I pay for for Full Court? Yea. And I used to before 3 kids and a bigger mortgage came around. It's just not worth the cost for the hoops games that arent available nationally -- which for all the hemming and hawing around here should be pointed out its the two exhibitions and likely the 4 worst hoops games on KU's schedule.

I do have U-Verse for my internet however, and while its not flawless, I do get ESPN3 because of it. To me, this -- because of the blackout area -- is going to be a bone of contention, primarily in the KC area. Previously, if KU were playing on ESPN locally (any of them by the way) ESPN was blacked out. So now if its broadcast by TW locally -- never mind the thousands that dont have Time Warner to boot -- are those people going to be able to even get it on ESPN 3 if they can? Im curious as to how thats going to play out.

I will say that doing this piece meal seemed foolish with the press. I'd also point out what the most angst ridden factor in all of this -- will TW get this channel on other providers, locally or nationally -- to sign up for this. The fact that news hasnt come out yet is a bit disconcerting. I cant see why national providers would want it, and im quite sure locally TW is going to use it as a hammer against it's competition. Great for them.

Again, what is overall a good thing and going in the right direction just seems to have been handled slowly by the folks in the AD's office.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 5 months ago

Full Court does NOT show the two exhibition games. If they were counted in the numbers, it would be eight games. The six games being referenced are regular season games.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 5 months ago

The six basketball games are 4 regular season games and the two exhibition games. All the rest are tier 1 or 2.

KU_Dude 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm super excited to finally be able to catch the womens rowing team in action on TV.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 5 months ago

You can't get ESPN3 with DishNetwork. I'm pretty sure that's true of DirectTV as well. BUMMER.

On a side note, I hope Zenger negotiated to never have Brent Musberger do another game.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

No more Musberger? Man would I pay a premium for that!

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

ESPN3 has to do with your internet provider, it has nothing to do with your satellite company.

eastTXjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds mostly like a pity party. You should've heard the Longhorn fans when the Longhorn Network started and wasn't available on any providers, not even in Austin! Unless they put this on a free channel that everyone in America receives, there's no way to make everyone happy.

This might just be La Fin du Monde.

Cliff Leiker 1 year, 5 months ago

I love my Jayhawk Football and Basketball. I think Zenger is doing a fantastic job, gaining access for Jayhawk fans across the country. I think the added coverage will aid in recruiting in the other sports besides the big 2. Potential student-athletes will see that these other sports are getting coverage nationally, and this development could sway their decision. I sense KU is becoming a more prominent university nationwide. I take my hat off to you Mr. Zenger. Congratulations and continue the great work you a doing for the university.

5to6 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, Tait just lost a lot of credibility with me as well - if the reports are true (and I have no reason at this point to doubt them) that even ESPN3 will be blacked out in KC to help Time Warner stop hemorraging customers due to poor service, then his assertion after the first story that we should all sit back and be patient for "good news" is pretty much pure horsecrap.

If there's another announcement pending to clarify that this is not the case, then so be it...but I sure don't see Matt being as eager to jump in and comment on this thread as he was after the first announcement.

Matt Tait 1 year, 5 months ago

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I understand where you're coming from but my claims the first time around were based on the fact that I see this as a good deal for KU as a whole and the national brand that is KU athletics.

Might it suck for a few fans a few games a year? Sure. But since I'm not one of them I wasn't really thinking along those lines and instead was basing my opinion that this is a good deal on the revenue and exposure it brings to the entire KU athletic department.

In today's world, where TV is king and conference realignment is a constantly looming threat, the more you can position yourself in a positive light from coast to coast the better off you are.

Again, though, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and if you're one of the fans that has to miss those six games, I truly feel for you.

Have a good one!

5to6 1 year, 5 months ago

First of all, I was unaware that you were traveling to the NBA draft, so I mistook your silence for an unwillingness to comment. For that, I do apologize, as it was a comment made on the basis of an incorrect assumption. I should have known better, because over time you have been quite willing to jump in and interact with fans.

Having said that, and recognizing that this deal can be a good thing (for recruiting and potential realignment implications in particular), my perception was that you were also trying to reassure those of us who are going to be impacted by this sweetheart deal for TWC in KC. While it may be for "just a few games", if people weren't that passionate about sports then there'd be a lot less interest in sites such as KUSports.com to begin with.

I think KU's administration needs to keep that in mind, and I am hopeful that they've made it clear to TWC that they've got some time to try to make some hay and get some people to switch back, they'd better find a way at the 11th hour to make deals with other carriers, because some of us won't or can't change, and that's lost goodwill in their primary market.

Sam Burns 1 year, 5 months ago

If anyone has season tickets that they can't use, I'd love to partner up and take some of the tickets you can't use. Thanks, Sam. (sburns27@cox.net. 316-377-9250)

sjkelly46 1 year, 5 months ago

First, I think it is great that is KU broadening its market.

However, I think everyone would agree a "good" deal doesn't give you less than you had before. For those who have had access to ALL basketball games for years, it is logical to expect to have access to all the games going forward. Anything less is NOT a good deal.

With the first announcement, fans in Lawrence and KC who don't have TW or access to Metrosports (and I assume that is a very large number) were getting less than they had before.

With the ESPN3 announcement, it now seems that even these broadcasts will be blacked out in the KC/Lawrence area.

Perhaps there will be a 3rd announcement to say all is right in the world and all games will be available to the largest concentration of KU fans in the country - as well as fans everywhere who have ATT Uverse, Dish, DirecTV, etc.. But, at this moment we do not know this.

With the information we have as of right now, local fans have nothing to cheer about.

PS - For those of you who say it is only 6 lousy games and stop whining, you are talking to people who watch EVERY game - often multiple times. if you think it is "just" 6 games, let me tell you that CONTINUED access to those 6 games means a lot to local fans.

5to6 1 year, 5 months ago

What's discouraging (at least at the moment) is that after the 1st announcement Tait was all over the story's comments thread, telling everyone to stand by for "good news". Clearly he already knew the substance of this 2nd announcement, and while he wouldn't give it away, he still wanted to assure people that all was not bleak. Unless he thinks that doing so once again constitutes stealing the entirety of the thunder of a 3rd announcement, his silence would seem to be telling regarding the KC area ESPN3 blackout.

Mel Clare 1 year, 5 months ago

Its all about MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in westen Kansas and will NOT be able to see those 6 games on espn3 because Direct TV does not carry it. All the games I have been able to watch till now without buying some other, more expensive package. Just another way for espn and KU to make more money and they dont give a rats ass about the true fans............

Pitthawk34 1 year, 5 months ago

As long as I have an opportunity to buy the programming I'm fine with paying extra money to ESPN or whomever. I just want the access to the games. If indeed I can buy the programming through Dish I'm happy. If I cant buy it through Dish, time to rip some more ass.

Jeff Worthington 1 year, 5 months ago

After listening to Zenger's interview on 610 (which is podcasted on their website) he did say that he feels for the people left out of the current deal as it is, but that time warner is going to work with other media outlets to make sure that those people are covered. I'm not overly excited about this, but there is some hope at least that this deal might still be expanding to other providers.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 5 months ago

So it is my understanding that with ESPN's involvement we can get all games on ESPN full court? Does anyone have a freakin Idea...More specifics Zenger...Damn Zenger.

JayhawkLifer 1 year, 5 months ago

For those wondering why Matt has not answered, he has been traveling today to NYC for the NBA draft.

Not that he is going to be able to change the fact that it looks like a good portion of us here in the KC area are going to be SOL for 6 basketball games. ;-(

colreader 1 year, 5 months ago

For those of you watching in the KC area last year, how many KU football games were televised there?

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 5 months ago

Just go to vipbox.tv it has almost every live sporting event for free. The only problem is a bunch of ads and pop ups. But if u make it full screen it won't jump in the middle of the game.

Maracas 1 year, 5 months ago

How exactly is this a win? What is wrong with Marchiony and Zenger?

Jason Spangler 1 year, 5 months ago

Some of you "locals" need to wake up. This is about things bigger than the KC/Lawrence/Topeka area. If they don't do things like this to go national this school would get left out to dry like it nearly was two years ago.

Wake up already.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 5 months ago

Yep, did not like it at first but understand what they are trying to do. TW just had better sell to kansas affiliations. Looks like the big boys knows what is going down in 5 years. Looks like we are in pretty good standing. This will be all about spreadsheets in how KU owns KC and partnered with espn. Get rock chalk built and upgrade Memorial by tens of millions. That looks like a 5 year plan to me.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

Explain to me why going national should mean locals lose out. Seems like going national should be in ADDITION to taking care of your locals and not taking games away from them.

That said, I'm for waiting a bit longer for further explanations. I suspect we're panicking a bit prematurely. At least I hope so.

milehighhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

If only the internet had LOTS of people STREAMING these games for FREE...

Brian Skelly 1 year, 5 months ago

As I mentioned in the post last week after the initial deal was announced... Long term this is a good thing. Hell, even medium term it is.

Short term though, the folks who appear to get hosed are the KC/Kansas folks who dont have TW Cable, Comcast, etc. I personally dont know enough about the cable market break down there to guess how that will shake down. My guess is the Uverses, Fios, Google Fibers of the world would jump on board before the DirecTV, Dish folks.

We'll see how it shakes down. This is clearly the downside of whats been presented currently. However, as the press release shows (from ESPN anyway) -- ESPN3 is available to 85 million cable/internet subscribers. Thats crazy exposure folks. As Wick's post / SI link shows to, theses sorta deals will likely become more prevalent as we go on.

Why? Costs. A Jayhawk Network in a traditional sense would have way heavy costs associated with it when considering the size of the fanbase that would clamor for it. Hell, think of how much bigger UT's base is and it cant get much more than spot coverage on carriers now. As much as we love being part of Jayhawk Nation, its a small rural state that by sheer numbers doesnt justifiy its own TV network. Hooking up with Metro Sports and ESPN3 in my opinion -- as stated longer term -- is a pretty good get. Likely as good as we could expect.

The reality is if TW/ESPN/KUAC are reasonable on the costs of what the coverage should be -- to the other carriers that is -- my guess is eventually almost no one in KC will go without KU coverage. But we'll see. UT's single biggest hurdle is asking WAAAAAAAAY to much --- like NFL Network prices if reports are correct -- for its digs. And part of that is ESPN's huge up front costs they are trying to recoup. That shouldnt be nearly as large of an issue here. There is CLEARLY pent up demand in KC for this stuff. It's a matter of price points.

Im curious as to what KU's position was on this too. The reality is they dont have much say at all in it -- it's numbers on a ledger that have to work for TW to make this go well.

Steve Brown 1 year, 5 months ago

Here's an idea, put up a big screen at Sporting Park, KC,Ks. open up to 20,000 fans for $5-$10 a seat, all those in KC that can't get ESPN 3. have a small pep band, sell popcorn and Boulevard and let's have a viewing party for the 6 games, plenty of cash to split among all the stakeholders. We could run buses for the shut ins that belong to Alumni Club or Williams Funds. I'll drive one. Can I bring a portable propane heater for January/February games?

I want just one person to say I'm creative and not totally crazy.