Originally published June 25, 2013 at 10:20a.m., updated June 25, 2013 at 10:16p.m.

KU Athletics, ESPN announce rights agreement

Part II of Kansas University’s plan to expand its televised offerings on the Jayhawk Network includes a deal with ESPN, with live KU events now slated to be broadcast nationwide on ESPN3.

In a press release Tuesday, KU officials announced a seven-year deal between KU and the media giant that will begin in the 2013-14 academic year. Under the agreement, ESPN3, a multiscreen channel available nationwide through Internet providers, will carry a minimum of 70 live events each year. It is one of the largest deals ESPN has signed to date, according to the release. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Last week’s announcement of a partnership between Kansas Athletics and Time Warner Cable and Kansas City’s Metro Sports received a lukewarm response from fans, but KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said he hoped seeing the rest of the pieces fall into place would make fans of all KU sports teams a little more excited about what the future holds for KU broadcasts across all media.

“From the start of this process, our goals were to saturate the Kansas City market, distribute Kansas programming throughout the state and make our live events available nationally,” Zenger said in the release. “We are meeting these goals through agreements like these with ESPN and Time Warner Cable. Both are significant steps for Kansas Athletics and we are excited about the future for all Jayhawk fans — wherever they may be watching.”

Part I of the deal, which indicated that Time Warner and Metro Sports would provide live coverage of 50 KU sporting events to homes throughout Kansas on various media outlets, made KU the final Big 12 Conference school to sign a contract concerning its Tier-3 television rights. Part II of the deal makes KU just the second Big 12 school to have an affiliation with ESPN, joining Texas’ Longhorn Network.

The news of ESPN’s involvement also connects the two parts of the deal.

ESPN3 will broadcast nationally the 50 events outlined in the original deal (one football game, six men’s basketball games, as many as 16 women’s basketball games, nine volleyball matches, eight baseball games and up to 12 live softball, soccer and track and field events) and also exclusively carry a minimum of 20 additional contests that will be viewable nationwide, as well as in Kansas City and throughout Kansas.

ESPN3 is available in more than 85 million homes nationwide to fans who receive their Internet or TV subscription from an affiliated provider. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app, and through connected TVs, via ESPN on Xbox LIVE as well as Apple TV.

The release said that the 70-event schedule was to include one regular-season football game, the football spring game, six men’s basketball games (including two exhibition games) and basketball’s Late Night in the Phog, as well as 16 women’s basketball games. ESPN3 will also broadcast the Kansas Relays and multiple volleyball, baseball, softball and women’s soccer games.

“ESPN3 continues to serve as a destination for college sports fans, and our agreement with Kansas Athletics extends that commitment,” said John Lasker, ESPN’s vice president of programming and acquisitions. “We look forward to delivering these live events to the KU fan base.”

Related story: New KU TV deals may limit handful of hoops games

Comments

Steve Brown 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's an idea, put up a big screen at Sporting Park, KC,Ks. open up to 20,000 fans for $5-$10 a seat, all those in KC that can't get ESPN 3. have a small pep band, sell popcorn and Boulevard and let's have a viewing party for the 6 games, plenty of cash to split among all the stakeholders. We could run buses for the shut ins that belong to Alumni Club or Williams Funds. I'll drive one. Can I bring a portable propane heater for January/February games?

I want just one person to say I'm creative and not totally crazy.

BPSkelly 9 months, 3 weeks ago

As I mentioned in the post last week after the initial deal was announced... Long term this is a good thing. Hell, even medium term it is.

Short term though, the folks who appear to get hosed are the KC/Kansas folks who dont have TW Cable, Comcast, etc. I personally dont know enough about the cable market break down there to guess how that will shake down. My guess is the Uverses, Fios, Google Fibers of the world would jump on board before the DirecTV, Dish folks.

We'll see how it shakes down. This is clearly the downside of whats been presented currently. However, as the press release shows (from ESPN anyway) -- ESPN3 is available to 85 million cable/internet subscribers. Thats crazy exposure folks. As Wick's post / SI link shows to, theses sorta deals will likely become more prevalent as we go on.

Why? Costs. A Jayhawk Network in a traditional sense would have way heavy costs associated with it when considering the size of the fanbase that would clamor for it. Hell, think of how much bigger UT's base is and it cant get much more than spot coverage on carriers now. As much as we love being part of Jayhawk Nation, its a small rural state that by sheer numbers doesnt justifiy its own TV network. Hooking up with Metro Sports and ESPN3 in my opinion -- as stated longer term -- is a pretty good get. Likely as good as we could expect.

The reality is if TW/ESPN/KUAC are reasonable on the costs of what the coverage should be -- to the other carriers that is -- my guess is eventually almost no one in KC will go without KU coverage. But we'll see. UT's single biggest hurdle is asking WAAAAAAAAY to much --- like NFL Network prices if reports are correct -- for its digs. And part of that is ESPN's huge up front costs they are trying to recoup. That shouldnt be nearly as large of an issue here. There is CLEARLY pent up demand in KC for this stuff. It's a matter of price points.

Im curious as to what KU's position was on this too. The reality is they dont have much say at all in it -- it's numbers on a ledger that have to work for TW to make this go well.

milehighhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

If only the internet had LOTS of people STREAMING these games for FREE...

Wickedson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Pitthawk, look at this. It's even bigger than that. The guys at KU know exactly what they're doing...

William Blake 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This still does not provide all the details... so people shouldn't freak out just yet.

Let's see how it all plays out...

Wickedson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Some of you "locals" need to wake up. This is about things bigger than the KC/Lawrence/Topeka area. If they don't do things like this to go national this school would get left out to dry like it nearly was two years ago.

Wake up already.

Joan Kalivoda 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This is a very sad day for KU sports.

JHWKDW 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I still do not like the deal overall, but what else can we do being in this totally suck conference? Ala the Monarchy of the Longhorns, With no TV Network like Pac-12, B1G, and soon to be SEC, and ACC are soon to follow those 2.With no Lousy 12-2 Network we are on our own. Well maybe the Longhorn Jackoffs can worry about getting High School Sports on thr LHN, and screw the rest of us. Ah Well.

Anyways this message goes to all of the KU Fans. You know we got to shed the one track one trick pony mentality we have had. WE can no longer just be the " Men's Basketball School" I know and love the history of Men's Basketball,Naismith and all, but we cannot forget about everyone else. Everyone needs to support all of of KU athletics. Support Football, Baseball, Softball, Track, Volleyball, Women's Basketball. I try to go to a couple of Baseball games, went to 1 softball game this year. Get out and support the rest of the Athletics if you can. Zenger has went out of his way to try to improve grades, and athletics, give his his support by showing up and showing him your support to him by being in the stands.

Just look at what Louisville did, and them turning around their whole athletics, they were known as a Basketball school like us but they shed that image, and it has paid dividends for them.

Rock Chalk Guys and Gals let us build a bigger, stronger, and more well rounded KU athletics program.

Maracas 9 months, 3 weeks ago

How exactly is this a win? What is wrong with Marchiony and Zenger?

hawkfan9111 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Pretty much all the games but 1 or 2

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Just go to vipbox.tv it has almost every live sporting event for free. The only problem is a bunch of ads and pop ups. But if u make it full screen it won't jump in the middle of the game.

colreader 9 months, 3 weeks ago

For those of you watching in the KC area last year, how many KU football games were televised there?

JayhawkLifer 9 months, 3 weeks ago

For those wondering why Matt has not answered, he has been traveling today to NYC for the NBA draft.

Not that he is going to be able to change the fact that it looks like a good portion of us here in the KC area are going to be SOL for 6 basketball games. ;-(

Jeff Worthington 9 months, 3 weeks ago

After listening to Zenger's interview on 610 (which is podcasted on their website) he did say that he feels for the people left out of the current deal as it is, but that time warner is going to work with other media outlets to make sure that those people are covered. I'm not overly excited about this, but there is some hope at least that this deal might still be expanding to other providers.

Janet Scott 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Any chance re-runs of 1950s era black and white cartoons, like Mighty Mouse, will be a part of the package? I surely hope so!!

Pitthawk34 9 months, 3 weeks ago

As long as I have an opportunity to buy the programming I'm fine with paying extra money to ESPN or whomever. I just want the access to the games. If indeed I can buy the programming through Dish I'm happy. If I cant buy it through Dish, time to rip some more ass.

Mel Clare 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Its all about MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in westen Kansas and will NOT be able to see those 6 games on espn3 because Direct TV does not carry it. All the games I have been able to watch till now without buying some other, more expensive package. Just another way for espn and KU to make more money and they dont give a rats ass about the true fans............

sjkelly46 9 months, 3 weeks ago

First, I think it is great that is KU broadening its market.

However, I think everyone would agree a "good" deal doesn't give you less than you had before. For those who have had access to ALL basketball games for years, it is logical to expect to have access to all the games going forward. Anything less is NOT a good deal.

With the first announcement, fans in Lawrence and KC who don't have TW or access to Metrosports (and I assume that is a very large number) were getting less than they had before.

With the ESPN3 announcement, it now seems that even these broadcasts will be blacked out in the KC/Lawrence area.

Perhaps there will be a 3rd announcement to say all is right in the world and all games will be available to the largest concentration of KU fans in the country - as well as fans everywhere who have ATT Uverse, Dish, DirecTV, etc.. But, at this moment we do not know this.

With the information we have as of right now, local fans have nothing to cheer about.

PS - For those of you who say it is only 6 lousy games and stop whining, you are talking to people who watch EVERY game - often multiple times. if you think it is "just" 6 games, let me tell you that CONTINUED access to those 6 games means a lot to local fans.

Sam Burns 9 months, 3 weeks ago

If anyone has season tickets that they can't use, I'd love to partner up and take some of the tickets you can't use. Thanks, Sam. (sburns27@cox.net. 316-377-9250)

5to6 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, Tait just lost a lot of credibility with me as well - if the reports are true (and I have no reason at this point to doubt them) that even ESPN3 will be blacked out in KC to help Time Warner stop hemorraging customers due to poor service, then his assertion after the first story that we should all sit back and be patient for "good news" is pretty much pure horsecrap.

If there's another announcement pending to clarify that this is not the case, then so be it...but I sure don't see Matt being as eager to jump in and comment on this thread as he was after the first announcement.

Janet Scott 9 months, 3 weeks ago

There has to be a Part III, which is: combined with KU televised events broadcast by ESPN 4 (a network yet to be created) re-runs of checker matches played in NYC Central Park by old geezers over 80 years old will be shown. For an extra $19.99 per month, you can also receive a viewing option of watching an ice cube melt, in absolute silence. Exciting stuff, for sure!!!

Cliff Leiker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I love my Jayhawk Football and Basketball. I think Zenger is doing a fantastic job, gaining access for Jayhawk fans across the country. I think the added coverage will aid in recruiting in the other sports besides the big 2. Potential student-athletes will see that these other sports are getting coverage nationally, and this development could sway their decision. I sense KU is becoming a more prominent university nationwide. I take my hat off to you Mr. Zenger. Congratulations and continue the great work you a doing for the university.

eastTXjayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Sounds mostly like a pity party. You should've heard the Longhorn fans when the Longhorn Network started and wasn't available on any providers, not even in Austin! Unless they put this on a free channel that everyone in America receives, there's no way to make everyone happy.

This might just be La Fin du Monde.

lawrenceloser 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm about to get Google Fiber internet so not sure what is going to be shown.

lawrenceloser 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Almost sounds to me that Time Warner is making a power move to dominate the availability over other providers. Sort of a "hostile takeover" if you will.

Scott Smetana 9 months, 3 weeks ago

You can't get ESPN3 with DishNetwork. I'm pretty sure that's true of DirectTV as well. BUMMER.

On a side note, I hope Zenger negotiated to never have Brent Musberger do another game.

KU_Dude 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm super excited to finally be able to catch the womens rowing team in action on TV.

BPSkelly 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Im in St. Louis, have DirectTV so wont be getting much love from that. But as people are pointing out, that was true before as well for this new content we're getting. Yes, could I pay for for Full Court? Yea. And I used to before 3 kids and a bigger mortgage came around. It's just not worth the cost for the hoops games that arent available nationally -- which for all the hemming and hawing around here should be pointed out its the two exhibitions and likely the 4 worst hoops games on KU's schedule.

I do have U-Verse for my internet however, and while its not flawless, I do get ESPN3 because of it. To me, this -- because of the blackout area -- is going to be a bone of contention, primarily in the KC area. Previously, if KU were playing on ESPN locally (any of them by the way) ESPN was blacked out. So now if its broadcast by TW locally -- never mind the thousands that dont have Time Warner to boot -- are those people going to be able to even get it on ESPN 3 if they can? Im curious as to how thats going to play out.

I will say that doing this piece meal seemed foolish with the press. I'd also point out what the most angst ridden factor in all of this -- will TW get this channel on other providers, locally or nationally -- to sign up for this. The fact that news hasnt come out yet is a bit disconcerting. I cant see why national providers would want it, and im quite sure locally TW is going to use it as a hammer against it's competition. Great for them.

Again, what is overall a good thing and going in the right direction just seems to have been handled slowly by the folks in the AD's office.

Andy Tweedy 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I have access to ESPN3, so maybe I'm just not in such a bad place as to complain. But I don't get the complaining. So every single person in the United States won't get to see the Hawks play Ft. Hays State. If I didn't have Cox, I wouldn't be losing a lot of sleep over that. And while this initially leads me to the conclusion that the lack of a Big XII network might be largely to blame for large areas with no coverage, who can say that would have satisfied everybody. If this brings more cash into our athletic programs, it can only be a good thing IMO. And I happen to agree with ahperse on this. If there is a will, there is a way. Last year, I got a trial membership to all access, hooked the mac up to the TV and saw the SDSU game for somethling in the area of $10. That was a heck of a lot cheaper than driving 200 miles each way to Lawrence.

Robert Brown 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I am still waiting to hear how much revenue the Tier 3 deals will generate for the athletic department. I have tried to watch some games on ESPN 360 and the quality isn't that great and last year, my operating systems on my MAC was too old to support programming. In other words, it was a pain.

At the end of the day, I am probably less like a lot of people who post regularly and more like just your average fanatical Hawks fan. The basketball games affected are early in the season against outmatched opponents. I am not going to plan my evening around a game with Washburn. Any game against a quality opponent is not Tier 3 so will be accessible.

I live in Houston and I get to see almost any game I want so I doubt that I or most fans will be that affected by missing these Tier 3 games. I am interested in the revenue that is generated.

Matt- do you have any idea. I would have to assume somewhere close to $10/year. Is that in the ball park.

STLJayhawk10 9 months, 3 weeks ago

someone call the wambulance for rockchalkunleashed. do you think you complaining on every comment will make KU restructure the deals? no, deal with it. I'm in st louis so all i get are SEC games now. put on your big boy pants

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Is this Part II of III or is this the end of the details about the deal?

Randy Bombardier 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Good grief people. I don't believe all the naysayers here are Jayhawk fans at all.

Tony Bandle 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt?...Hello?.....are you out there???

It appears Kansas Nation needs an explanation or they will go out and down a huge libation, so your time and talent do not ration but explain the mess from this media creation!!

P.S. There's another word that rhymes but I am afraid I'll get the BIG BLEEP if I use it!!!

BringBackNike 9 months, 3 weeks ago

"Our goals were to saturate the Kansas City market” - Zenger

So, in order to saturate the KC market we remove the Jayhawk Network games from local stations such as 38 The Spot and 62 KCMO? Give those 6 games to only Metro Sports. You know, that super fuzzy, standard def channel on WOW (fka Knology) in Lawrence and not available on U-verse. Meaning that not one citizen in Lawrence will have these games in HD.

Forget about my new 50 inch LED television, looks like I'll be pulling up a seat to my 19 inch computer monitor in the basement.

Thanks Zenger for seeing the $$ signs and forgetting about the fans!

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

www dot kansascity.com/2013/06/25/4312361/ku-athletics-announces-deal-to.html

SacramentoJHAWK 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Now that I live in CA, I like that ESPN3 not only gives you access to live games, but also allows you to replay them for days online. When in Kansas, I could catch every game online at www.P2p4u.net . Its a website based in Sweden that's always been up, and shows even blacked out games, NFL included. There are usually many links, albeit of varying quality.

manofleisure 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I live in KC. I do not have cable, as paying 130 a month was just too much.

All I want to know: will I be able to watch those six games on KSMO?

LFPJayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I live in the Seattle area and primarily watch just the Men's Basketball games. I have Direct TV and the ESPN Full Court package and internet access through Comcast, so ESPN3 is available to me..

It doesn't seem that the number of games that are going to be available on DirecTV is changing; is that correct?

My biggest complaint with the DirecTV coverage in recent years is the number of games that are not broadcast in High Definition (HD), but rather are only available as a very muddy-looking standard definition broadcast on the higher-numbered channels. When are all of these games going to be available in HD in the DirecTV/Full Court package?

Is the ESPN3 coverage going to be HD?

Steve Hillyer 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't understand what people aren't understanding, when this was initially announced they said it would be available on ALL providers in KS and KC, just like when the Royals were on Metro Sports/TWC 2003-2007, they were on all providers. The only ones that are truely screwed are the people who don't have a tv provider or ISP, some rural people in other parts of the country may also not get to see these 6 games but how is that any different than before? For those with Direct TV Time Warner Sports Network is on channel 691, I am going to assume DTV will provide those games on that channel or a different TWCSN channel when KU is on.

ccarp 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Since this is all about money, can we get some figures and durations for these contracts?

Laura Wilson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This is very confusing. I live in Lawrence, have WOW and get espn3, but does this mean that six basketball games will ONLY be available on espn3? Or will they still be televised in Lawrence? Reading the comments have just made me more confused.

My dad will go ballistic if he can't get every single basketball game on his television (as we have done so in this town/county for well over a decade). He lives eight miles outside of town, has WOW for internet and Win 7 computers and CANNOT stream video because the speed is so poor (and that's the best option for internet he can get).

There are still people who just watch tv. I guess they're dinosaurs.

waxtron 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I hate Time Warner cable. They are the absolute worst cable company to deal with in the KC area. I have not been able to afford cable for a few years & won't for the foreseeable future. I watch every football & basketball game I can on TV. When the game isn't on local TV, I watch it on a horrible overseas Internet feed. Losing these six games hurts. This means the only games I will be able to fully enjoy will be the one or two that are on CBS (which doesn't come in very well). I would love to watch all of the new content but TWC is too awful to endure.

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

For those who say its only 6 games and 1 football.....this is the most excited I have been all summer for our teams.....ever. Those are 6 games where guys could go off for 30+...i want to watch that. Watching a KU game is what I live for, my wife knows to leave me alone and let me be, its my time! Now I have to give up 20% of it?

PS its Wiggin's only year....but now there are 6 games that I may not see, or if I do watch will be lagging half the time.

The_poster_kusports_needs 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Basically, this is Zenger saying that the only market he cares about is KC. I'd like to see a real reporter ask him why he is purposefully reducing the size of KU's footprint and influence to an area that it already controlled.

kukevbo 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This is just great. ESPN3 will be blacked out in KC so there is STILL no way for local fans who don't have Time Warner, Comcast or WOW to watch KU play. What a great big middle finger this whole thing has been to KU fans in the KC area.

The KU athletics department is either monumentally stupid in believing that people wouldn't care about losing the 6 basketball games, or they're monumentally greedy in cutting people off just to make a few more dollars from TWC and ESPN. Neither is acceptable.

This whole piecemeal approach of announcing one little piece at a time has also been a joke. When the writer for the local paper has to keep coming back and writing clarification articles about your cable deal, you did a bad job.

Maybe they'll be 3 or 4 more announcements coming that will clear everything up. I'm really glad that people in New York and Chicago and Alaska and f*cking Siberia can watch KU games but KC fans won't be able to. That's just great. Good job KU AD. Way to go

Steve Hillyer 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Altitude carries the Big 12 network games that is why you are able to watch those, the only games affected by this new deal(usually 6, 2 of those being the exhibition games against Washburn/Emporia) have traditionally been televised locally on over the air channels and until last year weren't available to people outside the local area unless you subscribed to Full Court. All fball and bball are broadcast on siriusxm, I would pay for that before paying to listen to games on All-Access.

tinytimhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt, PLEASE post a clearer picture article like last time! These people just aren't getting it! (Heck, I might be one of them!)

colreader 9 months, 3 weeks ago

At a minimum, we can LISTEN to these games by subscribing to Jayhawk All-Access, right? All the fb and bb games? Maybe Altitude Network here in Denver will get involved. Sometimes they air Jayhawk sporting events. What about Fox Sports 1?
And are we saying that, besides the one fb game, the rest aren't going to be televised to ANYBODY?

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 months, 3 weeks ago

WHAAAAAAAAAAA! If you're savvy enough to post on this board you'll be able to figure out how to watch the games. Plus it's only six (3rd tier) of them. So if for some reason you're not able to watch the KU vs ITT Tech game on a Wednesday night I'm pretty sure you won't miss much other than Tyler Selfs only bucket of the season.

John Dalke 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Tait lied when he said not to worry.

The_poster_kusports_needs 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Whoopie! watchespn.com!

Now we can all enjoy watching KU games in choppy, laggy, low resolution on our 4" smartphones!

Absolute failure by KU.

jgkojak 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It looks to me like the over-the-air Ch 38/Ch 62 games are kaput and you need MetroSp or ESPN3 to catch them.

notjustbread 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Get a slingbox people...hook it up to whichever of your friends TV's that get the games and watch his TV through your laptop. No monthly fees....problem solved.

Doug Roberts 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I have SureWest for cable access so this deal means absolutely nothing to me. I will NEVER go back to Time Warner.

Foster Coburn 9 months, 3 weeks ago

For those who keep saying to get Full Court on DirecTV, have you ever watched one of those games? The picture quality is HORRIBLE. It isn't even as good as SD-quality. So you suffer through the game and see the highlights later on ESPN. Guess what, they are in HD! Why doesn't Full Court get HD? I'm sure it is another corporate peeing contest between Disney and DirecTV. Each will make excuses, but I'm positive it has to do with money. Those of you with ESPN3 get BETTER PICTURE QUALITY than those who PAY for Full Court. So yes I am complaining a lot. I pay through the nose for my TV service. I BUY SEASON TICKETS to both FB and BB even though I wasn't able to personally attend a single game last year. Yet I am the one who is harmed by this "wonderful" new deal.

tinytimhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope Matt posts another 'Here's what this really means' article like last time.

From what I can tell, I will gain a ton, as I live outside of the area and am subscribed to an affiliated provider.

It sounds like people in the area, who have Time Warner will gain a ton as well. People in the area who don't have Time Warner might lose the 6 worst basketball games on the schedule (the rest are already picked up by ESPN etc.) The football game wasn't going to be televised anyways before this deal, so they aren't losing that.

People out of the area with an affiliated provider are gaining a ton (like me). People out of the area without an affiliated provider are actually getting the exact same thing as before because none of these events would have been provided out of area at all.

I could be wrong, but this is what it seems like to me.

jgkojak 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Here is my problem w/this-

My dad, loyal lifetime Jayhawk fan, lives in a nursing home. EVERY SINGLE JAYHAWK GAME he puts on his KU hat, goes to the main rec area, and watches the game with a few other residents - it is a highlight of his week.

The nursing home has some broad basic-cable deal with Direct or Dish- he has no computer access, certainly does not get ESPN3 or Metrosports - so these 6 KU games he is going to miss. Its not feasible for him to travel anywhere to watch them - so fans like him (and I'm guessing other older fans who are not in some sort of desired marketing demographic) are completely screwed.

Sure, its 6 games - but a part of living in this area is getting to watch every KU game.

I also think this is a slippery slope and we could expect, eventually, a larger number of KU games to be in that package.

How much money would they really lose letting Ch 38 broadcast the darn game in SD only?

AZJHWK 9 months, 3 weeks ago

What a bunch of whiners! It appears that everyone has forgotten what it was like not too many years ago. Lucky to get one or two football games a year and about half the BBall season. So I am delighted to get the coverage I get. If I lived anywhere close to Lawrence I would be going to these games rather than sitting on my couch.

Jeff Worthington 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This still doesn't help the rural Jayhawk fan. Time Warner isn't available, and most rural internet providers don't have ESPN3. I'm hoping DirecTV and Dish step up and get MetroSports which sounds highly unlikely at this point. Looks like I'll be heading to an Overland Park sports bar to watch the 6 basketball games.

longhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't know if this will affect me or not. Have Dish Network in Shawnee county. Don't know if they have Metro Sports, and don't know if my internet provider (Cox) has ESPN3.

But I've always been able to watch the Jayhawk Network basketball games on 13 or 27 (depending on the year), and I've enjoyed DVRing those the last 10 years in order to watch them on my time.

If I can get ESPN3 and IF the games are archived to see whenever I feel like it, then I'm really no worse off than I am now.

In any scenario, I'm no better off, and I could be worse off.

Brad Farha 9 months, 3 weeks ago

So if you live in the KC area, but not a Time Warner Cable area, does that mean you won't be able to see those games via ESPN3?

206Jayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It is great for those of us not living in the area. It means I can get more KU through my Xbox 360.

iamakufan 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This does nothing for those in rural areas or even urban areas but still with slower connections that won't support game video. Still others don't subscribe to the cable system required in order to get espn3. Others have mb or gb limits on their monthly usage and computer video doesn't fit well in that scenario. I sure hope the remaining pieces eliminate any chance that Kansans will lose their football and basketball TV broadcasts.

PSM 9 months, 3 weeks ago

How does this affect Wichitans?

Steve Hillyer 9 months, 3 weeks ago

If you are local and you will indeed lose the ability to watch (which I doubt) the one KU football game a year how about buying a ticket to the game, there are unfortunately plenty available. Last year's game against S Dak St was only available on Jayhawk All Access whereas this year game will be on TV or ESPN3 for those not local, this sounds like an improvement to me.

namohcan_99 9 months, 3 weeks ago

So now I can expect to be blacked out from seeing my team play again? Sure seems that way, unless I live in Alaska. "This deal is getting worse all the time!" Lando Calrissian

Kip_McSmithers 9 months, 3 weeks ago

ESPN360 was great, then they changed it to ESPN3 and totally screwed it all up. Back in the 360 days I was an ATT internet customer and could watch all of the games that weren't on DISH. Since they've changed it up and you have to be a UVerse customer, which isn't available in my neighborhood, I can't use ESPN3. I stopped using ATT internet not long after this move and unfortunately none of the other providers offer service in my subdivision. Like you I'll either be stuck not being able to tune in or hoping that Dish Alternate channels pick up them up.

Michael Maris 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Some of you Griping Grannies complain about the smallest things. If you were NOT able to view before and you are not going to be able to view in the future. Nothing gained is nothing lost. This sounds like an improvement to me (for all of U. of Kansas Athletics programs). Jayhawk Nation is strong throughout the United States. Not to the level of U. of Texas Longhorns. But nonetheless, Jayhawk Nation is spread throughout every corner of the United States. ESPN is seeing that Fox Sports is going to become a major player in the Collegiate Athletics arena. So, ESPN is starting to shore up the the $$$$$$$$ makers (be it in Football or Basketball).

Keith Richards 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I find this deal to be pretty awesome. Thank you!

OPJayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This blacks out a ton of loyal Jayhawk fans viewers. Horrible. Wow.

Foster Coburn 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I complained after the first announcement and I was told to be patient and wait for the rest of the news. I'm guessing this is the rest and it is every bit as bad as I expected. ESPN3 blacks out people who do not have the anointed Internet providers. There is not a single Internet provider available to me who has made a deal with the devil (or mouse in this case). I have talked to them and they are not willing to pay the massive amount of money required to be one of the chosen. So even though I pay DirecTV for everything possible to get games; I buy season tickets even when I can rarely attend and do anything else needed to watch games; Zenger has BLACKED ME OUT!