Friday, June 21, 2013

Tyrel Reed relishes chance to play at camp

Blue Team guard Frank Mason drives against Red Team guard Tyrel Reed during a scrimmage before the basketball campers on Wednesday, June, 19, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

photo

An onlooker who watched Tyrel Reed hit seven threes in a pair of Bill Self campers games in successive weeks wondered where the former Kansas University shooting guard would be playing basketball next season.

“I’m done. I’m in school full time. It’s pretty much all I do. I play twice a year now,” the 24-year-old Burlington native said.

“It’s nice to know I still have it,” Reed added. “I go out and play and have fun. I’m healthy. That’s the big thing. It feels great to go out and play and not be in pain.”

Reed — who is KU’s winningest player of all time (132 victories against 17 losses from 2008-11) — played professional basketball in Belgium in 2011-12. Hobbled by a foot injury, he returned to the U.S. well before the end of the season, deciding he’d enroll in the physical-therapy program at KU Med.

“I’ve got two more years of physical therapy school — my doctorate at KU Med,” Reed said. “I love to work with athletes. I love the area, love Lawrence. I’d love to be at KU helping athletes or open my own place around here. I love the community. Everyone is so nice. We’ll see what happens.”

Reed said he misses “the locker room, being around my teammates, the atmosphere playing in Allen Fieldhouse, the fans. It makes you miss basketball,” Reed said. “When I get in these (campers) games, you wonder and miss it a lot more.”

He is a big fan of KU’s incoming six-man freshman class.

“There are a lot of good freshmen,” he said.

The Jayhawks also have added transfers Tarik Black (Memphis) and Hunter Mickelson (Arkansas).

“The sheer numbers and talent one through 13, 14 ... they are stacked,” he added of the 2013-14 KU team. “I don’t think there’s a better guy in the country that can work with talent like coach (Bill Self). I think it’ll be a fun season.”

Asked about individuals, Reed said: “I was talking to our trainer, Bill Cowgill. You can tell Tarik has played four years of basketball. He’s just a rough guy. He knows how to play. He’s going to be big for this team. It’s awesome they got that addition at the end (of recruiting period).

“Frank (Mason) looks great. Conner (Frankamp) can shoot it. He didn’t hit shots today (Wednesday), but he shot it great last week (four threes in camp game). Brannen Greene can shoot. It’s loaded. I don’t even know what to say. I was at KU, and we had some good freshman classes coming in. This is a little bit different. It’s pretty crazy.”

Of Andrew Wiggins, Reed noted: “He lets the game come to him. I was impressed by his maturity. He shows you how much a freak he is with the first play of the game (one-handed slam). It’s going to be a special year.”

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 freshman from Toronto, scored seven points off 3-of-7 shooting in Wednesday’s camp game. Former KU defensive stopper Brady Morningstar did a good job guarding Wiggins.

“I don’t know if he wanted to (guard him) or not. I guarantee you Brady wouldn’t back down,” Reed said. “Brady loves to guard their best player. He did OK on him. He did OK.”

Recruiting: Cliff Alexander, a 6-8, 240-pound senior power forward from Chicago’s Curie High, was on campus Friday on an unofficial recruiting visit. He will visit Illinois today. His Curie High team is not participating in KU’s Team Camp this weekend. Alexander, the No. 5-rated player in the Class of 2014, on Friday tweeted his list of KU, Michigan State, Kentucky, Illinois, Louisville, DePaul, Indiana, Memphis, Baylor and Arizona. ... Jayson Tatum, a 6-6 sophomore point guard from St. Louis is on campus for team camp with his Chaminade High squad. He’s considering KU, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri and others. ... Malik Newman, a 6-3 junior point guard from Callaway High School in Jackson, Miss, received a scholarship offer from KU on Monday, jayhawkslant.com reports. The No. 3-ranked player in the Class of 2015 also has offers from Baylor, Georgetown, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi, Mississippi State, N.C. State, Southern Miss and others,

Blackstock in news again: The NCAA is looking into North Carolina guard P.J. Hairston’s connection with NBA agent Rodney Blackstock, Big Lead Sports reported on Friday. An NCAA investigator met with a UNC compliance officer this week regarding the relationship between Hairston and Blackstock, who played at UNC-Greensboro, thebiglead.com reports. Blackstock is the person who allegedly paid Ben McLemore’s AAU coach (Darius Cobb) $10,000 as well as travel expenses to Los Angeles for fact-finding missions with sports agents who wanted to represent McLemore. In early June, Hairston was arrested in Durham when marijuana was found in the car he was driving, and a gun was found outside the car. The car was a 2013 GMC Yukon. Neither the rental agency or the police will disclose the name of the renter to thebiglead.com. The NCAA, per policy, has no comment.

Comments

KansasComet 1 year, 5 months ago

Glad to see Tyrel moving forward. He is what being a student athlete is all about. Have fun playing ball, hit the books, and be a productive member of society....and stay out of trouble.

We have the talent to make a deep run. It is not about one specific player, when it comes to Kansas. It is about the team, and guys having each others back. There will be games when players struggles. If Frankamp's or Greene's jumper is not falling, maybe AWIII's is? The same can be said with our big men and our point guards. Everybody is not going to be on every night. That's the beauty of having a surplus of talent. I like our chances.

hawk316 1 year, 5 months ago

Hopefully, it will work out for Tyrel to make his permanent home in Lawrence. The community will be better for it.

KU_LON 1 year, 5 months ago

Can someone tell me what Baylor has, and why all the top 10 players have them on their list????

mikehawk 1 year, 5 months ago

That, my friend, is a very good question we ask around our house on a regular basis. Let's see, very average coach, questionable facilities, hideous team colors. Waco? Really? It is a good academic school. Sure, a top player here or there. But on most of the top players' lists? I don't get it either. The only thing you can say for it is it does add strength to our conference, and that is important for us and everyone else.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Drew is one hell of a recruiter - just not so good at coaching. I think he has replaced Rick Barnes as the top coach in regards to wasting talent. I honestly believe these guys would do at least as well if one of the assistant coaches took over coaching the game.

Adam Miller 1 year, 5 months ago

Ok, I'll just say it: Jesus. I really do think that it provides a handle... there are a lot Baptists out there. Groups of people used to listening to preachers are a lot more open to listening to others who sound alot like preachers. I mean, if 'god' wants someone to play at Baylor (which I'd bet hard cash is a line used during recruiting)-- well, that's kind of a hard idea for someone even moderately religious to fight, no?

Oh, and he probably cheats.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 5 months ago

Baylor has outstanding facilities. Better than KU. Recruiting is an inexact science and recruits are all looking for different things. Time will tell who Drew can get to sign, but Self has said on several occasions how nice the facilities are at Baylor for athletes. The Jayhawks Towers are nothing special and some players like the glitz.

tgross04 1 year, 5 months ago

Bill is just being polite. The facilities are on par at best.

TheGiftedOne 1 year, 5 months ago

You're really going to jump on this board and tell everyone that Baylor has better facilities than KU basketball? That is literally a joke, I worked at KU athletics for two years and you obviously have never seen the practice gym/locker rooms/player lounges/brand new weight room. Not to mention that little place called Allen Fieldhouse. Having seen a game at every Big XII arena I can tell you that Baylor definitely has the WORST arena, by far. The only thing I will give you is that Jayhawk Towers are pretty old and not as up to par. But everything else at KU is top notch, and recently renovated.

Adam Collins 1 year, 5 months ago

The seedy underbelly of college athletics just keeps coming out. Blackstock is looking more and more like a one of the bad guys.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 5 months ago

Best news for KU is that UNC is now caught up with the Blackstone fiasco. It looks more like he is a rotten egg and two universities are caught in the middle of it.

JayhawkMitts 1 year, 5 months ago

This is absolutely what I was thinking. The NCAA likes to hand out weird punishments, but you would think they're much less likely to do it when there are two top tier programs involved, rather than just one. Ben's already gone, Blackstock is clearly a sketchball (Cobb as well), and I don't understand why the NCAA doesn't just impose some sort of lifetime ban on guys like this. The fact that the NBA doesn't assist in any form of punishment just baffles me as well. The NBA literally gets absolutely any and everything they want from the NCAA, simply because they can.

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

Yep, Blackstone is a cancer upon college basketball programs nationwide it seems. I really really hope KU doesn't get their wins from last season vacated because of that piece of trash. On a lighter note. I also really really hope that CS alters his normal 8 man rotation this year. Tyrel said it guys. This team is deeeeep and talented, albeit young. I think he almost has to play 9 guys this year. I mean if someone is off then there is an equal talent right behind him on the bench, except Wiggins of course. That guy will have a Kevin Durant like season. I can see it coming. I just hope that KU doesn't get knocked out in the second round like Texas did in 07.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

Lulu - In 2010-11, Self made the Final Game playing 7 guys -- his best 5 players, and then Teahan and KY. Last season, he really played 7 players - starting 5, then Ellis and Tharpe, with a little Traylor as he felt necessary as the eighth.

Remember, most thought the same thing last pre-season that you do right now -- he has to have a little bigger rotation with White, Adams, Traylor, Peters, and Lucas. They were all going to be studs, of course.

When we look at it now, a 9 man rotation makes perfect sense. You can go 5 perimeters, 4 posts. And in theory, the idea of sitting guys if they are cold, or aren't playing well, and going to the next guy -- that makes sense. It just really doesn't happen with Self much.

If you're looking for comparable year, go to 2005-2006. Self had 10 guys that averaged double digit minutes. In 2010-11, he had 10 guys that averaged double digit minutes. So that would be the precedent for believing his rotation may be a bit more inclusive this season.

But we all know what happened in those seasons -- the rotation tightened, and in important games and situations, he reverted strictly to the guys he had decided that he believed in.

Last season, despite talent on the bench, he went 4 perimeter players and 3 post players .. with the 4th post guy getting minimal minutes.

I do think Self will have a solid 8 man rotation, with a 9th guy getting the same kind of minutes Traylor got last season. So a rotation that expands by one full player because he doesn't have the experience he likes to rely upon. And I think he'll settle on that rotation by the turn of the year.

Just my prediction:

1] Tharpe

2] Selden

3] Wiggins

4] Ellis

4a/5] Black

6] Frankamp or Mason (decided by who is the next best ballhandler)

7] Embiid

8] White or Greene or Frankamp

9] Traylor

Could easily see Lucas getting early minutes in competition with Traylor and Embiid -- if Lucas is better than Traylor, he gets the spot; could see Embiid taking the starting spot from Black later in the year, or even sitting quite a bit if he is overmatched; could see a redshirt on Mason if Frankamp is a solid ballhandler, or on White or Greene if one won't be in the rotation; could see Frankamp playing very little if Mason is the clear second ballhandler and White or Greene is the better choice as the next rotation player.

KanKu 1 year, 5 months ago

Good analysis. However, the only thing that truly scares me is how the 05-06 and 10-11 seasons ended. (I know, I know, they had great years and won the Big 12 tourney, I'm not discounting it). Regardless of the rotation quantity, I just hope this upcoming season ends much, much better than the upset seasons 05-06 and 10-11 seasons provided. (Bradley and VCU, ugh....)

Dale Kroening 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd be really surprised if Greene redshirts. Obviously theres only one ball and so many that will be in the rotation, but this will be very interesting to see how it all plays out. There are good players at every spot, which is a good problem to have regardless. I just hope those not in the rotation are willing to wait their turn and put the team first.

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks HEM. Great analysis and one that I also agree with. CS does like to use 7-8 guys and has pretty steadily since, except those two seasons you mentioned. As much as Id like to see a 9 man rotation this year, I want the season to start even more. RCJHGOKU!

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Averaging 34 wins a season for 4 years is an insane number.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

33 wins is also insane (33x4=132). Had he averaged 34, we might have another title.