Originally published June 19, 2013 at 06:36p.m., updated June 19, 2013 at 09:24p.m.

KU football lands two oral commitments

Top-rated center, SM West D-back pick Jayhawks

The Kansas football team picked up a pair of oral commitments Wednesday night.

Jacob Bragg, the No. 8 rated center in the Class of 2014 according to Rivals.com, became the fourth member in the class to pledge his services to KU, joining Kansas prospects Traevohn Wrench (Gardner-Edgerton running back) and Joe Dineen (Free State safety) and East St. Louis, Ill., linebacker Kyron Watson.

A few hours later, Shawnee Mission West defensive back Andre Maloney announced via Twitter that he was becoming a Jayhawk.

"I'm taking my talents to the U of Kansas," Maloney said as part of a tweet.

Maloney — listed at 6 foot 2, 180 pounds — also had offers from Kansas State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Missouri and Oklahoma State, according to Rivals. The Overland Park product is a three-star Rivals recruit and is listed as the fifth-best senior-to-be in the state of Kansas.

Bragg, 6-4, 308 pounds, is a three-star prospect out of Nacogdoches (Texas) High who told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that the KU campus and the presence of Tim Grunhard on KU’s coaching staff played key roles in his decision.

“I couldn’t pass up the chance to be coached by someone like coach Grunhard,” Bragg told Kirby. “He played center in the NFL and it is tough to find any other opportunity like that. I think he will be a great coach to play for. I’ve built a strong relationship with him.”

Bragg visited several other Big 12 schools during his recruitment but told Kirby he was relieved to be done with the process.

Comments

Joe Baker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Excellent - This team is going to be special and the talented recruits keep coming. The train has left the station and this program should be extremely competitive over the next 2-3 yrs.

Kudos to the coaching staff and KU football is becoming relevant again from a coaching and recruiting stand point.

Jay Dogger 10 months ago

How did KU get the eighth best center in the nation? Did he think he was joining the basketball team?

JHWKDW 10 months ago

Good deal! We keep getting good guys to come here.

Hey KU ladies just raised the bar for all of KU sports by them winning a National Championship. Not saying I expect a National Championship from football, but guys we got to play better this year

I have a question concerning the thug Martin did he get a scholarship, and if he did since this happened, do we lose that scholarship or can we give his to someone else who will appreciate it?

Randy Bombardier 10 months ago

Man I am getting excited too. Great job Coaches. I was watching the KU-Kstate game from last year and if we had had some good quarterback play it could have been different. I think game planning by this staff is actually very good as good as or better than Mangino. Play calling at times is a different matter. There was a third and ten situation where we do a play action and K-state blitzes and gets the sack. Really? We are going to run on third and ten? Quick slant, QB draw (under center) or my least favorite (but none the less can be very successful) the shuttle pass. Or any variety of quick passes. Good time to utilize the TE. Anything but play action because you know they are coming. IMO

Miguel Colón 10 months ago

I think Charlie is building the program the right way! There is anticipation for footbal like the last years under Mangino. I am excited.

Brett McCabe 10 months ago

A class full of 3-stars would not be all bad. Getting quality commitments early can't do anything but help to get quality commitments later. As long as we continue to focus on speed, we'll be able to compete in this league.

Adam Gerval 10 months ago

KU also landed Andre Maloney today.

LAJayhawk 10 months ago

Rock Chalk. This class is off to a pretty fantastic start. Long way still to go, but Charlie & Co. is coming out of the gate like a thoroughbred.

hawksfan08 10 months ago

Number 8 center but only a 3 star? Aren't recruiting services great? Let's go ahead and get all the other #8 overall players at their position.

Welcome aboard.

Boouk 10 months ago

ESPN has Bragg as their 2nd best C and #257 in their top 300. With Kyron Watson ranked #103, KU now has 2 commits in the ESPN300. Hopefully these guys don't even think about decommitting.