Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Charlie Weis: Chris Martin failed to follow ‘protocol’

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Tuesday spoke briefly via Skype with Bonnie Bernstein of campusinsiders.com about the recent dismissal of defensive end Chris Martin.

Until talking with Bernstein, Weis, who released Martin from the team Monday, had not spoken about the Martin situation except for two statements released by the athletic department, one on the day of Martin’s arrest and the other Monday.

Martin, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound junior-college transfer who played at Florida in 2011 and City College of San Francisco in 2012, was one of three men arrested on suspicion of robbing cash and marijuana from victims at gunpoint at a home on Camelback Drive on May 13.

Weis made it clear in his discussion with Bernstein that the former five-star recruit’s ongoing legal case was not the sole reason for his dismissal.

“He had some off-field incidents,” Weis told Bernstein. “And that wasn’t really the reason why he was released. He was given a list of stipulations. To stay in school while those legal matters are being resolved, he was given a protocol to follow, and he didn’t follow all of them so therefore he was dismissed.”

Asked to reveal the specific stipulations, Weis spoke only in vague terms.

“That’s not really public knowledge,” he said. “It wasn’t anything out of line. It was a very simple list of doing things the right way, and there were a couple of things that he didn’t do that were very simple things to follow.”

Weis’ history with Martin, which dates back to his early days of high school, has been well documented, and the second-year KU coach indicated he had hoped Kansas would be the place where Martin finally got his career on track.

“I felt that if anyone could help salvage him, I felt that that would be me,” Weis said. “It just didn’t turn out exactly the way I planned.”

Comments

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

Chris Marten does this and yet a guy like Brady Morningstar gets bashed on these boards? Marten has just made his greatest contribution to KU Football by leaving. I hope a hard prison sentence wakes the guy up.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

It is amazing how talent and production on the field blinds us as sports fans... Aqib Talib would still probably get a standing ovation. Not a jab at KU fans, I obviously am one, that would happen anywhere.

Looks like there is an opportunity at D-End... Who is going to take it? Goodman? Page?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey man...don't give Brady Morningstar a free pass just because Chris Martin engaged in some questionable extracuricular activities.

Brady Morningstar represents all that is soulless and wrong.

gchawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure what Brady has to do with this article. Concerning Brady, maybe he was a bit aloof and alienated a few folks because he wasn't the most personable person in the world, but he still played his heart out, and I, for one, respect him for that.

hawk316 1 year, 2 months ago

Second that, gchawk. This inordinately vocal "bash Brady" contingent is a mystery to me. What did this guy do but help KU get better when he was on the court? Anyone who understands the nuances of basketball can appreciate the many little things Brady did to contribute to the success of the team. It's very puzzling.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

What did I miss??? What has Brady done...besides the DUI?

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

People are eager to bash Brady whenever they get the chance. I don't think it's anything other than the DUI. Plus maybe jealousy that he was playing for KU and they weren't. It's an old, tired issue.

notjustbread 1 year, 2 months ago

“I felt that if anyone could help salvage him[inert KU football], I felt that that would be me,” Weis said. “It just didn’t turn out exactly the way I planned.”

.I hope that isn't the same phrase Weis is saying about the football program 3-4 years from now.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago

I sure hope people don't bash Brady because of his DUI, everyone makes mistakes.

But in the 2 tourney games that he got significant minutes ( his Jr & Sr year) he scored a total of 2 points, against Northern Iowa and VCU, respectively.

A solid on the ball defender but he was void in the 2 most importnt games of his career.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 2 months ago

We lost to VCU in the Elite 8. How many points did he score in the 3 tournament wins prior to that loss?

Jim Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm well aware of when we lost; my point being is that in the 2 season ending games that he played major minutes he was absolutely null.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 2 months ago

So you think scoring points is the only way to contribute to a team win?

buttsauce 1 year, 2 months ago

It isn't accurate to say Martin played at Florida in 2011 (or ever). He was at Navarro JC in 2011.

nwkshawk 1 year, 2 months ago

@pleiker: In the three games leading up to the VCU loss, Morningstar scored 13 against Boston U, 5 against Illinois, and then an 18 point outing against Richmond right before VCU. I guess that's not important?

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

I was fine with Weis bringing Martin in and I will continue to be okay with Weis bringing in players who have some baggage because you have to take risks when trying to turn around the worst football team in any of the BCS conferences. I'm also glad that Weis isn't employing a win at all costs policy either and has no problem getting rid of someone who can't take care of their business. I hope Weis continues to take chances of players that can help make KU competitive again while keeping enough integrity to get rid of a problem player when necessary.

CrystalJones 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree entirely, texashawk. KU MUST take chances with marginal players in order to get the program built up. Granted some will fall away, like Martin. But some others may be salvageable. Even programs that have had national success over the past 25 years (NU and KSU are two regional programs that come to mind) have taken these types from time to time, and not even Snyder or Osborne have always been able to save them.

Just about every school has had a recruit or two of questionable character, it's just that KU may have to take quite a few right now because, as you said, we are currently firmly situated at the very bottom of all BCS conference teams. I know we were 1-11 last year, but I have faith that Charlie may still be able to turn this thing around.