Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Charlie Weis: Chris Martin failed to follow ‘protocol’

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Tuesday spoke briefly via Skype with Bonnie Bernstein of campusinsiders.com about the recent dismissal of defensive end Chris Martin.

Until talking with Bernstein, Weis, who released Martin from the team Monday, had not spoken about the Martin situation except for two statements released by the athletic department, one on the day of Martin’s arrest and the other Monday.

Martin, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound junior-college transfer who played at Florida in 2011 and City College of San Francisco in 2012, was one of three men arrested on suspicion of robbing cash and marijuana from victims at gunpoint at a home on Camelback Drive on May 13.

Weis made it clear in his discussion with Bernstein that the former five-star recruit’s ongoing legal case was not the sole reason for his dismissal.

“He had some off-field incidents,” Weis told Bernstein. “And that wasn’t really the reason why he was released. He was given a list of stipulations. To stay in school while those legal matters are being resolved, he was given a protocol to follow, and he didn’t follow all of them so therefore he was dismissed.”

Asked to reveal the specific stipulations, Weis spoke only in vague terms.

“That’s not really public knowledge,” he said. “It wasn’t anything out of line. It was a very simple list of doing things the right way, and there were a couple of things that he didn’t do that were very simple things to follow.”

Weis’ history with Martin, which dates back to his early days of high school, has been well documented, and the second-year KU coach indicated he had hoped Kansas would be the place where Martin finally got his career on track.

“I felt that if anyone could help salvage him, I felt that that would be me,” Weis said. “It just didn’t turn out exactly the way I planned.”

Comments

JHWKDW 10 months ago

Hell folks KU is not alone. It happens in the pros even! Not that it still dont leave a black eye on KU Athletics, or make me feel better, but still we are not alone with bad players.

Look at that damn fool in New England the Tight End. Can make all the money he wants and still wants to be a gangster thug.It goes to show no matter how much money or good things you throw in ones face, you have to be mature, and have good sense in life not to do stupid things.Also you got to leave the gangsta friends & the hood behind.

Ralster Jayhawk 10 months ago

Look under the "Chris Martin dismissed" story from a few days ago: KU fans bashed the shat out of Martin, deservedly so!. The 1 guy who (sarcastically) posted "free Chris Martin!" got blasted as well.

JHWKDW 10 months ago

Well there was a issue that is still going on @ Texas A&M. Supposedly Manziel used a fake ID and got in a bar fight. Bad behavior yes, but I guarantee you those actions happen with alot of players. The bar fight it happens.The ID alot of kids get busted for that. The robbery thing is 1000X worse than that.

Allegedly Robbing a person is a violation of protocol really? It is a violation of state law. Even if he had other issues, I do not think they rise to this deal. Well regardless, I am glad HCCW put his foot down, and did not try to turn a blind eye to this.I like you Coach Weis and your No Nonsense and dealing with this. Hey Coach Weis you tried but sometimes you cannot help someone who cannot help them self.

Let it be a lesson for the rest of the team Charlie is no push over.

texashawk10 10 months ago

I was fine with Weis bringing Martin in and I will continue to be okay with Weis bringing in players who have some baggage because you have to take risks when trying to turn around the worst football team in any of the BCS conferences. I'm also glad that Weis isn't employing a win at all costs policy either and has no problem getting rid of someone who can't take care of their business. I hope Weis continues to take chances of players that can help make KU competitive again while keeping enough integrity to get rid of a problem player when necessary.

nwkshawk 10 months ago

@pleiker: In the three games leading up to the VCU loss, Morningstar scored 13 against Boston U, 5 against Illinois, and then an 18 point outing against Richmond right before VCU. I guess that's not important?

buttsauce 10 months ago

It isn't accurate to say Martin played at Florida in 2011 (or ever). He was at Navarro JC in 2011.

Jim Jackson 10 months ago

I sure hope people don't bash Brady because of his DUI, everyone makes mistakes.

But in the 2 tourney games that he got significant minutes ( his Jr & Sr year) he scored a total of 2 points, against Northern Iowa and VCU, respectively.

A solid on the ball defender but he was void in the 2 most importnt games of his career.

notjustbread 10 months ago

“I felt that if anyone could help salvage him[inert KU football], I felt that that would be me,” Weis said. “It just didn’t turn out exactly the way I planned.”

.I hope that isn't the same phrase Weis is saying about the football program 3-4 years from now.

jayhawkinATL 10 months ago

What did I miss??? What has Brady done...besides the DUI?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 10 months ago

Hey man...don't give Brady Morningstar a free pass just because Chris Martin engaged in some questionable extracuricular activities.

Brady Morningstar represents all that is soulless and wrong.

Jim Erickson 10 months ago

It is amazing how talent and production on the field blinds us as sports fans... Aqib Talib would still probably get a standing ovation. Not a jab at KU fans, I obviously am one, that would happen anywhere.

Looks like there is an opportunity at D-End... Who is going to take it? Goodman? Page?

Jim Erickson 10 months ago

Chris Marten does this and yet a guy like Brady Morningstar gets bashed on these boards? Marten has just made his greatest contribution to KU Football by leaving. I hope a hard prison sentence wakes the guy up.