Sunday, June 16, 2013

Former KU guard Sherron Collins working on pro comeback

Red team guard Sherron Collins breaks through a pack of players against the Blue team during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

Sherron Collins dribbled maniacally in the lane, bouncing the basketball behind his back, through his legs — orchestrating moves that would make the Harlem Globetrotters proud — before converting a layup in last week’s Bill Self campers game in Horejsi Center.

The ballhandling exhibition had his camp-game teammates’ full attention — their thoughts returning to the days when Collins used to dominate practice during his Kansas University career that spanned from 2007 to 2010.

“I don’t like doing it. Brady (Morningstar) and Tyrel (Reed) used to love it in practice all the time. You see those guys loved it when I did it today,” reflected Collins, now a 26-year-old unemployed point guard on the comeback trail.

“It was more for the kids, getting them to ooh and aah,” Collins added of the 800 attendees.

Yes, the 5-foot-11 Collins — who appears to be at least 30 pounds over his college playing weight of 205 — proved in bursts he can still play basketball, despite the inactivity of the past two seasons.

“Of course. It doesn’t go anywhere,” Collins said, asked if he “still has it.”

“I’m just a little step slower right now.”

That’s the part he’s working at correcting.

Chicago native Collins — the fifth-leading scorer in KU history — has been in Lawrence for the past several weeks, determined to get in shape after speaking with his former KU trainer, Andrea Hudy, and former coach, Bill Self, a few weeks ago.

“The first day I got here, coach Self said, ‘Are you all right?’ I said, ‘Yeah,’ with a tough shrug,” Collins said. “He said, ‘You are always all right.’ When you’ve got something like that around you, motivation, that’s the key.”

Nobody is babysitting Collins.

Of weight guru, Hudy’s role, he said: “I’m old enough now. I know what I need to do. It’s all on me. Hudy’s helping me. It’s really all on me.”

Collins played 20 games for the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11, then played for a team in Turkey in 2011-12. He was coming off a knee injury last summer when he lasted less than a week in San Antonio Spurs training camp.

His weight a major problem, he had no real options to catch on in Europe.

“It’s a big summer getting back in shape and where I need to be,” Collins said. “I’ve been injured. That’s not an excuse. I think I’m in better condition now than I was last year. I just have to keep working. I’ll be all right.”

Collins said he works out “every day,” in fact taking no days off during his latest comeback in Lawrence.

He grew serious when asked his “motivation.”

“My kids, my family,” said Collins, who has two children in Chicago. “I’ve got a sick brother (Steve, who lives in Lincoln, Neb.). He’s got sarcoidosis, which is what killed Bernie Mac. It’s getting the best of him now. He’s battling, taking steroids. He’s got to take a lot of meds. He’s my brother ... they’ve got to find a cure.”

Collins’ former teammates believe Sherron will again catch on in the NBA, which is his goal, or Europe, as soon as next season. His agent will be pursuing opportunities as the pounds are shed.

“It’s stuff you can’t teach. He’s just got it,” said former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets. “Some people just have a natural ability to do certain things and he had a natural ability to just handle that rock, put it on the ground — shoot, 300 pounds, 180, he can do it, whatever (size).

“I told Mario (Little), ‘He’s putting that thing down just as fast as I’ve ever seen him do it, he’s just not really going anywhere with it like he used to. And that’s the things that’s correctable and he can fix. Stuff that can’t be taught and can’t be fixed, he’s got it.”

KU coach Self, who can’t watch his camp games in accordance with NCAA rules, broke into a big smile when informed Collins scored 16 points in the camp contest.

“Hey ... he’s good,” Self stated before patting his former player on the back.

Collins appreciates the words of encouragement. It’s one of the reasons he’s returned to town where he often stays with the Morningstar family. “I mean, I love Kansas,” he said. “I’m going to be here every summer. The help given me is unbelievable. From coach Self all the way to the new coaches to Hudy, the managers. Everybody is great here. I understand why. Kansas is Kansas and we’re family.

“I feel it’s my time. I’ve been through a lot. I’ve weathered the storm. I talked to coach Self and he said the same thing: Stay here and get myself in shape and they’ll help me do whatever I need to do to get on the floor. I’ll make it. Of course,” he concluded.

Comments

Travis Clementsmith 1 year, 3 months ago

Go get 'em, Sherron, you'll always be one of my favorites!

OChawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Nothing would make me happier than Sherron making a living and supporting his family playing the game he entertained us Jayhawk fans with at no cost at all! Every pound dropped could be repaid with about $10,000+/per pound. Go get what's yours young man!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherronatron,

You are front loading the struggle. The break will come.

Adam Miller 1 year, 3 months ago

Good to Collins trying to get back on his feet.

Also nice to see Self, Hudy and KU helping their own (with as far removed as Sherron is from school) -- it really does provide a true "family" element to the entire university and town. Absolute proof of character for the program and people in it.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 3 months ago

I hate to be the naysayer, especially because Sherron is a Jayhawk legend and was awesome to follow, but I don't see him ever catching on in the NBA. He has the talent, but he will always be looked at as a high risk personality to have on a team. If I remember right, he had a weight issue every off season and Kansas so this is nothing new. The episode where he skipped the flight to join his NBA team didn't help.

NBA teams take risks on premier talents with risks attached (I.E. Allen Iverson and at one time even Kobe Bryant), but Sherron is a borderline NBA talent so he can't afford to have risk attached.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

yea, there isn't a chance in hell he'll ever play in the NBA, but hoping for a pro career somewhere is realistic. I hope da bull can provide a decent living for his family. I'm not going to pull the obvious remarks about his weight, although he is huge, because i think that he's mostly been plagued by his natural body type and a metabolism that has made it just harder for him to keep the weight off. Talk to any sports physiologist and they'll tell you that some people have a terrible time keeping in great shape, even when they work their butt off (really, no pun intended, really). Best of luck Sherron; you are an all-time great in our books.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 3 months ago

One of the big problems about his weight seems to be that it's more about his muscle mass and his body's natural inclination to add more of it. He's a bowling ball and is just not built to be sleek like the NBA needs him to be. Hudy had him off all of the weights while he played at KU for that reason, it wasn't about his diet as much other than he had to cut down on his calories just to avoid the muscle growth. That doesn't get easier as you get older and start filling out. I hope he's able to do what he has to do, he's got those kids and a ton of talent waiting to be utilized.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember how fast and athletic he was as a freshman. While he got stronger over his years at KU, he also gradually lost more and more of his speed and jumping ability as he added weight.

If they could ever get him to, say, 190 or 195 lb. range he could absolutely play in the NBA again. At his height a guard needs to be ultra quick to play in the league. Even at 205 I'm not sure he's going to be quick enough to succeed. He has a big uphill battle, but I'll be rooting for him.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for sharing drgnslayr. Not sure what you do for a living, but you might consider a change to life coach! That was good info.

Max Walker 1 year, 3 months ago

As a dietitian, I applaud your recognition in our importance. Hudy can help him in a lot of ways, but we go through at least 5 years of advanced metabolism for a reason. The help an RD could provide him psychologically and physiologically would be invaluable. I'm sure Aaron Carbuhn, the KU RD, has spoke with Sherron some, hopefully it gets him on track.

imzcount 1 year, 3 months ago

Also, you might add: don't eat anything after six o'clock.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 3 months ago

God da**** Sherron come on, before its too late!!! Pulling for you bro, shed them lbs.

hawksince51 1 year, 3 months ago

While I agree with those who doubt his ability to make it in the NBA, Sherron certainly has more natural talent than most, if not all, former Jayhawks who make a good living overseas. Many people battle their weight but few have the financial incentive that he has to win the fight. C'mon Sherron, show a little character and self restraint. You are still young enough to get this thing done!

ccarp 1 year, 3 months ago

Just need a little less McDonald's, and a little more All American. I know you can do it! Rock Chalk!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

Go, Sherron! Whether he ever plays another professional game or not, he's always welcome back home in Lawrence.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 3 months ago

He was back in Lawrence last year and I saw him. He appears to have gained more weight than then. I saw him at the Big 12 tourney and he is extremely overweight and I'd say at least 250. I saw him Wed. at the alumni game and suprisingly he has speed and the moves but he gets tired quickly and rightfully so. This summer he will NOT get this weight off as it is already middle of June. It'll take at least a year to get into decent shape. Why it has taken him this long is puzzling but he needs to do it for himself and nobody else! Seriously doubt he'll ever play pro ball and he should concentrate on the usual type of employment. Have to wonder how the world he pays child support and takes care of himself now. Some day the Jayhawk family will say enough is enough and do it yourself. He had a wonderful career at KU but life moves forward and you must take care of yourself and stop looking at others to do it for you. He talks the talk but thus far hasn't walked the walked. For HIS sake I truly wish him the best.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with you 100%. He has two children he needs to support. Time to hang up the dream and get a job.

Aligned 1 year, 3 months ago

Once again I find myself in agreement with every aspect of KM's well-reasoned post.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherron we could use a fullback this fall

DDDHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherron, we know you can do it, and your KU fans are behind you!

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

I'd love to see a tally of the number of articles written over the years detailing Sherron's mission to get down to playing weight. Every single off season, even in college, Sherron struggled to maintain his weight. Even if he could get down to 205 this summer, why would an NBA team take a chance on him? Chances are he'll balloon up again. Here's to hoping I'm wrong, cause I love Sherron. I'm just skeptical that he'll actually make this weight thing a permanent change.

AverageCitizen 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherron - Too much advice from well meaning fans. I'm just gonna say Jayhawk nation is behind you. You can do it. You'll always be in our hearts.

eric poncharello 1 year, 3 months ago

This guy needs tough love! Collins has talked the talk and the time to step up and be a man was, when he found out he was going to be a father. Sherron, you have the talent and everyone in Jayhawk land supporting you, there are a lot of coulda woulda black men who are over the hill in thinking they can still play basketball but, they set in the park all day, with regrets!! This is all in your head. NO, excuses!! I truly hope you succeed!

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm sure there are numerous nationalities that have regret regarding basketball.

Max Walker 1 year, 3 months ago

If anyone wants to fund me to be Sherron's personal dietitian, I would be more than happy. I've worked with the St. Louis Rams over the past year, and it is remarkable what personalized performance nutrition can do for an athlete.

MinorThreat 1 year, 3 months ago

I thought when Hostess went bankrupt Collins would be good to go...On a serious note: I recall Sherron's MCDonald's game, pass to himself off the glass and dunk... much lighter then.

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 3 months ago

No shoes, no shirt,....no, Sherron!!!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherron's weight problem makes him an emblem of our time.

Two thirds of persons on my plane flight are overweight.

When I was a boy. We drank 6 oz cokes. Now we drink 20 oz cokes.

Once they had sugar. Now high fructose corn syrup.

Now everything has high fructose corn syrup.

The farmed fish are full of unhealthy levels of fat and heavy metals and now every tuna tested off California and the PNW tests positive for cesium from Fukushima.

Every one over 40 has had a life shortening exposure to tetraethyl lead from gasoline and radiation from the atmospheric testing of nukes in the 50s and 60s.

The corporate money vampires have fattened and poisoned us to early death and those of us that have been team players and trusted them are paying the biggest price!

And now the GMO GRAIN PIMPS are bringing us sterility through their genetically modified grains.

Sherron is not just headed toward missing the game, but losing 5-10 years of his life span.

The 'hood couldn't kill him, but the corporate money vampires are in the process of doing it.

And we Americans have been so saturated with weapons of mass destruction and destruction, we have failed to protect ourselves.

And America was just the pilot study. The Model is being applied to china and elsewhere.

"Make me wanna holler..."

tical523 1 year, 3 months ago

You are correct in facts and very well said, but who is ultimately to blame for personal responsibility for choices and actions. I desire fast food for lunch all the time and sometimes wish organic food was cheaper but I conserve money elsewhere to buy them, and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all the time for lunch. I hear people (my friends) talk all the time about prices of eating healthy and fresh and it is impossible but they have the freshest phones, clothes and go out every Friday and Saturday night to get wasted and try to hook up. . . . it aint cheap. It is true we are in a scary time with big business and food but people need to wake up and evaluate themselves.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Individual responsibility is crucial and that is why private oligarchy producer oligopolies it owns massively underwrite the advertising, public relations, propaganda, Psy-ops, news and entertainment producers, plus grant heavily to shape curriculum of public education, to wear down legacy wisdoms and legacy organizations and legacy logics aimed at fostering enlightened self interest, while at the same time owning and profiting from conditioning us into stimulus-response consumption.

Not a single shred of conspiracy theory here either. You can go get a reputable degree and a job with a reputable firm or agency in everyone of the spin fields mentioned. They recruit. What used to be called flim-flamming, then Edward Ballamy's Madison Avenue, then Vance Packards Hidden Persuaders, then MK-Ultra mind control, then Noam Chomsk's manufacturing consent, then media strategy, then spin cycles, then psychological operations, has at long last been normalized into the science of shaping public opinion. Now after nearly a century of irrational, collective appeals reinforced by enabling institutions and public education largely stripped of the teaching of logic, we are a nation of citizens intentionally trained poorly to think critically and swimming in an overflowing well of informfor everything from fast food to fast war that are often diametrically opposed to one's enlightened self interest and even when consistent with same, often framed so to deliver far grander strategic benefits one will not share in.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Disregard this post and read parts 1 and 2 below. I goofed.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Note: had to repost this to get it all in, so disregard the first try. :-)

Part 1

Individual responsibility is crucial and that is why private oligarchy and its producer oligopolies it owns massively underwrite the advertising, public relations, propaganda, Psy-ops, news and entertainment producers, plus grant heavily to shape curriculum of public education, to wear down legacy wisdoms and legacy organizations and legacy logics aimed at fostering enlightened self interest, while at the same time owning and profiting from conditioning us into stimulus-response consumption.

Not a single shred of conspiracy theory here either. You can go get a reputable degree and a job with a reputable firm or agency in everyone of the spin fields mentioned. They recruit. What used to be called flim-flamming, then Edward Ballamy's Madison Avenue, then Vance Packards Hidden Persuaders, then MK-Ultra mind control, then Noam Chomsk's manufacturing consent, then media strategy, then spin cycles, then psychological operations, has at long last been normalized into the science of shaping public opinion. Now after nearly a century of irrational, collective appeals reinforced by enabling institutions and public education largely stripped of the teaching of logic, we are a nation of citizens intentionally trained poorly to think critically and swimming in an overflowing well of of poisoned information. We are predisposed to doubt the poisoned information without knowing how to discern much much truth from the commingled facts and dissembling. We find ourselves submitting to everything from fast food to fast war; to things that are often diametrically opposed to one's enlightened self interest and even when consistent with same, often framed so as to deliver far grander strategic benefits one ordinary cotizen will never share in, even many wealthy ones.

Yes we need to exercise our personal responsibilities, but we need to recognize what we are up against in trying to do so. Literally billions, likely trillions are spent annually to condition us into not acting in our enlightened self interest. Generations are systematically divided, manipulated, spun and made fearful and alienated from each other. Likewise the races. Likewise the religions. It's how the game is being played, maybe how it has always been played, only now with all the scientific Knowledge of how to engineer and mind control. We are so far beyond "1984" it's ridiculous.

Persons often cannot wade through all the bull biscuits before its too late to act in their enlightened self interest. This is the model we are being held at bay and subordinated by again and again. Poison the well on information about the toxicity of their food til they are already dying from it. Put out conflicting news that paradoxes them till its too late for them to act with enlightened self interest.

There is no utopia.

But circling the event horizon of dystopia is stupid and dangerous for the republic.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Part 2

Those in the private oligarchy that are being marginalized by the hyperconcentration of wealth, and ordinary citizens need get on the same page about reintroducing logic to curriculum. They need to get on the same page about restoring news journalism with firewalls among news and propaganda and entertainment. The senate and congress need to be restored to full function and the unitary presidency reigned back under the constitution. And the information well poisoning needs to stop. When these things happen the citizen's capacity to act in enlightened self interest will equal hour desire for him/her to do so.

Republics depend on informed citizens acting in enlightened self interest.

If they are not taught to think and the information well is poisoned continually, it is unrealistic to expect them to wade through the bull biscuits in a timely fashion, I.e., before it is too late. It would be like expecting KU recruits to play well after they were taught the wrong way to play and then told conflicting stories by Self about what is the right way. A few would figure it out on their own, but not most.

Each generation that is the victim of massive wealth redistribution upwards must rediscover that individual responsibility (boot strapping) requires collective cooperation to enable it broadly.

IMHO.

tical523 1 year, 3 months ago

Very well said and I agree with much of what you say, and yes we are light years away from a constitutional republic because that depends on knowledge and trust. I actually just read both 1984 and Animal Farm again and Orwell could see the dark light that was coming. Trust me I know that we are in dire straights because of the oligarchs who control everything but I still believe ulitmate control lies in ones self and that includes quest for truth. WE are in trouble because of a small misinformed population who relies on cable news for what is really going on in the world, but in reality most don't even care and just want to be on their phone all day long. Nobody cares about anything except entertainment and fun. Scary, but at least we have KU Sports to get away from it all. . . . 13th Floor Growing Old.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 3 months ago

Please explain why the mortality tables have been expanded and why most people worry that they will outlast their retirement?... We are living much longer than we have at any time in our history.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Because of the quality of medical care.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

As HEM stated medicine is allowing more to live longer but the quality of life is scary for many. Make a sojourn to a senior living facility & you'll see where longer retirement is taking America. Govt healthcare is on the horizon so all bets are off for either living longer or any semblance of dignified aging with the assistance of your fellow congressmen. Hell, I'll eat the tuna & steak, then flush it with a brandy or beer. Personally I'd rather fall out of the boat & sink fishing than die in a friggin nursing home. Too bad we don't get to choose-at least that's what Washington thinks. Ha!

Phognatic 1 year, 3 months ago

Actually HEM, plasticJHawk is correct. Mortality rates, once upon a time, responded nicely with basic sanitation measures, vaccines, and penicillin. Modern medicine as many of us think of it, statins, cardiac caths, ect, ect, have not done much for mortality rates (morbidity maybe). The answer is not big pharmaceuticals, but rather sweeping societal changes involving increasing physical activity, making our communities more conducive to active transportation, less screen/inactive time, healthier eating, decreased environmental exposures, and maybe the most important, minimizing poverty (increasingly considered as a disease as it impacts so many elements of our health).

chriz 1 year, 3 months ago

So life expectancy it's high? Great. We'll spend more years in debt from hospital bills, slaves to the insurance companies. That's the life we want?

Life expectancy is up from doctors, not from our diets. Or at least not from increases in sugar and meal portions.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

chriz, you've been listening to Obama too much...blame the big, bad insurance companies for everything. They may be part of the problem, but they aren't the entire problem. A woman I went to high school with recently spent 3 days in the hospital and I believe she had an angioplasty procedure. The bill from the hosptial alone was $97,000. She's never had great jobs and I'm sure that exceeded her entire net worth. Think of that, a woman works her entire life and in 3 days incurs a bill that exceeds her entire net worth. I'm not sure how the health insurance companies can even charge enough to make out in an equation like that.

The reality is medicine is prolonging lives, but at what cost? My Mother has been in a nursing home 8 years. She has dementia, and very poor quality of life, but heart medications keep her alive. Meanwhile, the monthly bill is over $4,000.

A guy gets a run of the mill headache and Doctors practice defensive medicine and order an MRI. Back in the day they said, "you're having migraines" and they prescribed aspirin or advil. Now patients / insurers have to spend thousands for an MRI to rule out a brain tumor or a stroke, so the physician doesn't end up with a multi million dollar law suit. We don't let physicians practice medicine on the basis of their own good judgement anymore. We've become way too reliant on tests.

Bottom line, there are lots of places to lay blame for high health care costs, not just the insurance companies. I think from your comments we share a lot of common ground in relation to hospital costs, etc. I'm just bothered when people blame that on the insurance companies (no, I don't work for a health insurance company.) Everybody is always looking for a villain when, in fact, there are many villains in this situation.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

The key point to all of this is that the hospitals and insurance companies negotiate and set insanely exorbitant costs together, in a symbiotic way, with the expense being passed along to the consumer for everything. Most people are just lucky to have their employers subsidize 90% or more of the expense. If you are self employed in NYC and you're looking at $1200 a month out of pocket as a monthly premium, just to be insured, the insurance company profits wildly and publicly blames the health care providers, which is just a front. It's not the hospitals alone deciding to bill 90k for a procedure, it's both beasts.

Aligned 1 year, 3 months ago

Sherron suffers from the same problem that affects 70% of the population in this country: Overeating. Staying motivated to eat healthy portions of healthy foods is sure not an easy thing to do. The evidence is everywhere.

areyouserious 1 year, 3 months ago

The temptation of Morningstar's Pizza every night???? Phogggedaboutit Sherron!

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

From what I saw the other night at the Rock Chalk Roundball Classic, the odds are against him - he was gased early. He was sweating profusely just in warmups. He's nowhere close to game shape. He probably got excited after the game and said he wants to make a comeback. As a loyal Jayhawk, I would love nothing more, but sadly enough, reality awaits unfortunately. It was great seeing him on the court and I hope to see him on the court more. Good luck to SC.