Sunday, June 16, 2013

Former KU guard Sherron Collins working on pro comeback

Red team guard Sherron Collins breaks through a pack of players against the Blue team during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

Sherron Collins dribbled maniacally in the lane, bouncing the basketball behind his back, through his legs — orchestrating moves that would make the Harlem Globetrotters proud — before converting a layup in last week’s Bill Self campers game in Horejsi Center.

The ballhandling exhibition had his camp-game teammates’ full attention — their thoughts returning to the days when Collins used to dominate practice during his Kansas University career that spanned from 2007 to 2010.

“I don’t like doing it. Brady (Morningstar) and Tyrel (Reed) used to love it in practice all the time. You see those guys loved it when I did it today,” reflected Collins, now a 26-year-old unemployed point guard on the comeback trail.

“It was more for the kids, getting them to ooh and aah,” Collins added of the 800 attendees.

Yes, the 5-foot-11 Collins — who appears to be at least 30 pounds over his college playing weight of 205 — proved in bursts he can still play basketball, despite the inactivity of the past two seasons.

“Of course. It doesn’t go anywhere,” Collins said, asked if he “still has it.”

“I’m just a little step slower right now.”

That’s the part he’s working at correcting.

Chicago native Collins — the fifth-leading scorer in KU history — has been in Lawrence for the past several weeks, determined to get in shape after speaking with his former KU trainer, Andrea Hudy, and former coach, Bill Self, a few weeks ago.

“The first day I got here, coach Self said, ‘Are you all right?’ I said, ‘Yeah,’ with a tough shrug,” Collins said. “He said, ‘You are always all right.’ When you’ve got something like that around you, motivation, that’s the key.”

Nobody is babysitting Collins.

Of weight guru, Hudy’s role, he said: “I’m old enough now. I know what I need to do. It’s all on me. Hudy’s helping me. It’s really all on me.”

Collins played 20 games for the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11, then played for a team in Turkey in 2011-12. He was coming off a knee injury last summer when he lasted less than a week in San Antonio Spurs training camp.

His weight a major problem, he had no real options to catch on in Europe.

“It’s a big summer getting back in shape and where I need to be,” Collins said. “I’ve been injured. That’s not an excuse. I think I’m in better condition now than I was last year. I just have to keep working. I’ll be all right.”

Collins said he works out “every day,” in fact taking no days off during his latest comeback in Lawrence.

He grew serious when asked his “motivation.”

“My kids, my family,” said Collins, who has two children in Chicago. “I’ve got a sick brother (Steve, who lives in Lincoln, Neb.). He’s got sarcoidosis, which is what killed Bernie Mac. It’s getting the best of him now. He’s battling, taking steroids. He’s got to take a lot of meds. He’s my brother ... they’ve got to find a cure.”

Collins’ former teammates believe Sherron will again catch on in the NBA, which is his goal, or Europe, as soon as next season. His agent will be pursuing opportunities as the pounds are shed.

“It’s stuff you can’t teach. He’s just got it,” said former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets. “Some people just have a natural ability to do certain things and he had a natural ability to just handle that rock, put it on the ground — shoot, 300 pounds, 180, he can do it, whatever (size).

“I told Mario (Little), ‘He’s putting that thing down just as fast as I’ve ever seen him do it, he’s just not really going anywhere with it like he used to. And that’s the things that’s correctable and he can fix. Stuff that can’t be taught and can’t be fixed, he’s got it.”

KU coach Self, who can’t watch his camp games in accordance with NCAA rules, broke into a big smile when informed Collins scored 16 points in the camp contest.

“Hey ... he’s good,” Self stated before patting his former player on the back.

Collins appreciates the words of encouragement. It’s one of the reasons he’s returned to town where he often stays with the Morningstar family. “I mean, I love Kansas,” he said. “I’m going to be here every summer. The help given me is unbelievable. From coach Self all the way to the new coaches to Hudy, the managers. Everybody is great here. I understand why. Kansas is Kansas and we’re family.

“I feel it’s my time. I’ve been through a lot. I’ve weathered the storm. I talked to coach Self and he said the same thing: Stay here and get myself in shape and they’ll help me do whatever I need to do to get on the floor. I’ll make it. Of course,” he concluded.

Comments

Preston Dwiggins 10 months ago

From what I saw the other night at the Rock Chalk Roundball Classic, the odds are against him - he was gased early. He was sweating profusely just in warmups. He's nowhere close to game shape. He probably got excited after the game and said he wants to make a comeback. As a loyal Jayhawk, I would love nothing more, but sadly enough, reality awaits unfortunately. It was great seeing him on the court and I hope to see him on the court more. Good luck to SC.

areyouserious 10 months ago

The temptation of Morningstar's Pizza every night???? Phogggedaboutit Sherron!

Aligned 10 months ago

Sherron suffers from the same problem that affects 70% of the population in this country: Overeating. Staying motivated to eat healthy portions of healthy foods is sure not an easy thing to do. The evidence is everywhere.

chriz 10 months, 1 week ago

So life expectancy it's high? Great. We'll spend more years in debt from hospital bills, slaves to the insurance companies. That's the life we want?

Life expectancy is up from doctors, not from our diets. Or at least not from increases in sugar and meal portions.

jaybate 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron's weight problem makes him an emblem of our time.

Two thirds of persons on my plane flight are overweight.

When I was a boy. We drank 6 oz cokes. Now we drink 20 oz cokes.

Once they had sugar. Now high fructose corn syrup.

Now everything has high fructose corn syrup.

The farmed fish are full of unhealthy levels of fat and heavy metals and now every tuna tested off California and the PNW tests positive for cesium from Fukushima.

Every one over 40 has had a life shortening exposure to tetraethyl lead from gasoline and radiation from the atmospheric testing of nukes in the 50s and 60s.

The corporate money vampires have fattened and poisoned us to early death and those of us that have been team players and trusted them are paying the biggest price!

And now the GMO GRAIN PIMPS are bringing us sterility through their genetically modified grains.

Sherron is not just headed toward missing the game, but losing 5-10 years of his life span.

The 'hood couldn't kill him, but the corporate money vampires are in the process of doing it.

And we Americans have been so saturated with weapons of mass destruction and destruction, we have failed to protect ourselves.

And America was just the pilot study. The Model is being applied to china and elsewhere.

"Make me wanna holler..."

jayhawkintexas 10 months, 1 week ago

No shoes, no shirt,....no, Sherron!!!

MinorThreat 10 months, 1 week ago

I thought when Hostess went bankrupt Collins would be good to go...On a serious note: I recall Sherron's MCDonald's game, pass to himself off the glass and dunk... much lighter then.

Max Walker 10 months, 1 week ago

If anyone wants to fund me to be Sherron's personal dietitian, I would be more than happy. I've worked with the St. Louis Rams over the past year, and it is remarkable what personalized performance nutrition can do for an athlete.

eric poncharello 10 months, 1 week ago

This guy needs tough love! Collins has talked the talk and the time to step up and be a man was, when he found out he was going to be a father. Sherron, you have the talent and everyone in Jayhawk land supporting you, there are a lot of coulda woulda black men who are over the hill in thinking they can still play basketball but, they set in the park all day, with regrets!! This is all in your head. NO, excuses!! I truly hope you succeed!

AverageCitizen 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron - Too much advice from well meaning fans. I'm just gonna say Jayhawk nation is behind you. You can do it. You'll always be in our hearts.

Phil Leister 10 months, 1 week ago

I'd love to see a tally of the number of articles written over the years detailing Sherron's mission to get down to playing weight. Every single off season, even in college, Sherron struggled to maintain his weight. Even if he could get down to 205 this summer, why would an NBA team take a chance on him? Chances are he'll balloon up again. Here's to hoping I'm wrong, cause I love Sherron. I'm just skeptical that he'll actually make this weight thing a permanent change.

DDDHawk 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron, we know you can do it, and your KU fans are behind you!

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron we could use a fullback this fall

KEITHMILES05 10 months, 1 week ago

He was back in Lawrence last year and I saw him. He appears to have gained more weight than then. I saw him at the Big 12 tourney and he is extremely overweight and I'd say at least 250. I saw him Wed. at the alumni game and suprisingly he has speed and the moves but he gets tired quickly and rightfully so. This summer he will NOT get this weight off as it is already middle of June. It'll take at least a year to get into decent shape. Why it has taken him this long is puzzling but he needs to do it for himself and nobody else! Seriously doubt he'll ever play pro ball and he should concentrate on the usual type of employment. Have to wonder how the world he pays child support and takes care of himself now. Some day the Jayhawk family will say enough is enough and do it yourself. He had a wonderful career at KU but life moves forward and you must take care of yourself and stop looking at others to do it for you. He talks the talk but thus far hasn't walked the walked. For HIS sake I truly wish him the best.

iamakufan 10 months, 1 week ago

Go, Sherron! Whether he ever plays another professional game or not, he's always welcome back home in Lawrence.

ccarp 10 months, 1 week ago

Just need a little less McDonald's, and a little more All American. I know you can do it! Rock Chalk!

hawksince51 10 months, 1 week ago

While I agree with those who doubt his ability to make it in the NBA, Sherron certainly has more natural talent than most, if not all, former Jayhawks who make a good living overseas. Many people battle their weight but few have the financial incentive that he has to win the fight. C'mon Sherron, show a little character and self restraint. You are still young enough to get this thing done!

Chris Bruning 10 months, 1 week ago

God da**** Sherron come on, before its too late!!! Pulling for you bro, shed them lbs.

William Blake 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron needs a dietitian... someone to set his course for what he should be eating and drinking. It is an uphill battle to just think working out will fix him.

The proper nutrition can help his game, too. Make him stronger. So when he sheds the pounds he'll build strength at the same time.

Advice I would give him; get more of your protein from plants instead of animals. Doesn't mean turning vegetarian... just means limiting meat and knowing what plants offer good protein. Reduce processed carbs... better stick with mostly fruit. Look up "glycemic index" and stick to the foods rated low. Develop a method to control portions. Eat several small meals instead of 1 or 2 big ones. Last.. never sleep right after eating, and go walk off what you just ate (or train). Very last... drink more water... less other drinks... and more water so you know you aren't dehydrated and confusing it with being hungry. The best sports drink is watermelon juice.

Restaurant food is pretty much a no-no. Their formula for success is lots of sugar, salt and animal fat. All of that adds to his problem.

That's how I keep my weight right.

Go, Sherron!

Lance Hobson 10 months, 1 week ago

One of the big problems about his weight seems to be that it's more about his muscle mass and his body's natural inclination to add more of it. He's a bowling ball and is just not built to be sleek like the NBA needs him to be. Hudy had him off all of the weights while he played at KU for that reason, it wasn't about his diet as much other than he had to cut down on his calories just to avoid the muscle growth. That doesn't get easier as you get older and start filling out. I hope he's able to do what he has to do, he's got those kids and a ton of talent waiting to be utilized.

Jim Erickson 10 months, 1 week ago

I hate to be the naysayer, especially because Sherron is a Jayhawk legend and was awesome to follow, but I don't see him ever catching on in the NBA. He has the talent, but he will always be looked at as a high risk personality to have on a team. If I remember right, he had a weight issue every off season and Kansas so this is nothing new. The episode where he skipped the flight to join his NBA team didn't help.

NBA teams take risks on premier talents with risks attached (I.E. Allen Iverson and at one time even Kobe Bryant), but Sherron is a borderline NBA talent so he can't afford to have risk attached.

Adam Miller 10 months, 1 week ago

Good to Collins trying to get back on his feet.

Also nice to see Self, Hudy and KU helping their own (with as far removed as Sherron is from school) -- it really does provide a true "family" element to the entire university and town. Absolute proof of character for the program and people in it.

jaybate 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherronatron,

You are front loading the struggle. The break will come.

OChawk 10 months, 1 week ago

Nothing would make me happier than Sherron making a living and supporting his family playing the game he entertained us Jayhawk fans with at no cost at all! Every pound dropped could be repaid with about $10,000+/per pound. Go get what's yours young man!

Travis Clementsmith 10 months, 1 week ago

Go get 'em, Sherron, you'll always be one of my favorites!