Originally published June 15, 2013 at 03:57p.m., updated June 15, 2013 at 11:52p.m.

Andrew Wiggins arrives in Lawrence, will begin summer school this week

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

The buzz started late Saturday morning when Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self told his Parent/Child campers that prize freshman forward Andrew Wiggins of Toronto was en route to KC International Airport.

Just a few hours later — right on schedule — the country’s No. 1-rated recruiting prospect in the Class of 2013 was on KU’s campus, as confirmed to the Journal-World by Self.

And so begins the career of the 6-foot-7 Wiggins, who will attend summer school classes Monday and immediately begin working out with the 2013-14 Jayhawk team.

“Feels good to be out here in Kansas!” Wiggins said on Twitter at 6:30 p.m., Saturday.

Wiggins, who spent a couple weeks in Toronto after graduation ceremonies at Huntington (W.Va.) Prep School, was anxious to get to Lawrence and begin workouts, Self said. Wiggins a week ago said he would not be competing with Canada’s Under-19 national team, instead coming to Lawrence for summer school.

“I think there’s a false perception out there. The good ones want to be coached,” Self said Friday on 810 WHB radio. “The ones not quite as good think they’ve got it figured out. The great ones want to be coached or they wouldn’t be great. A few things separate the good from great and those things are the intangibles.”

Self has been asked many times what player Wiggins might be compared to.

“I don’t think Tracy (McGrady) is really fair. I don’t know if he scores the ball like Tracy,” Self said. “Dominique (Wilkins) I don’t think ... he is not as powerful as Dominique. There may be some similarities there. LeBron (James) is definitely a bad (comparison). This kid weighs 200 pounds and we’re comparing him to a 260-pound monster. That’s not fair.

“I think he’s just going to be him. That’s all he has to do is come in here and just want to fit in. I think the expectations will be so high but I think we might as well embrace them and not run from them. The bottom line is he could be as talented as anybody and average 13 points a game because he can do so many things. I don’t know how it’s going to play out. I know he’s excited about being with his teammates. He deflects praise to others which is a cool thing to see. He just wants to be part of a team and win. His attitude has been remarkable as far as that goes.”

Anrio Adams to Ohio: Former KU guard Anrio Adams has decided to transfer to Ohio University, Adams said in a text message to the Journal-World on Saturday. Adams, a 6-3 guard from Seattle, averaged 3.5 minutes a game in 24 games his freshman season. He scored 27 points off 10-of-25 shooting. He made two of five threes and five of 13 free throws. Last week, he was talking about a transfer to UNLV that never materialized.

Juco target: Kadeem Allen, a 6-3 freshman shooting guard from Hutchinson Community College, is being recruited by KU, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Kansas State and others, ESPN.com reports. Allen averaged 17.1 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game his frosh season at Hutch. He’s originally from Wilmington, N.C.

Comments

rbradconway 10 months ago

If anyone feels like looking at my pictures of Andrew Wiggins arriving at the airport, follow me @rbradconway on Twitter. I have a few pictures of him arriving at the gate and an autograph on a Kansas t-shirt I brought. Pretty awesome!

Andrew Horigan 10 months ago

Next story: Wiggins ate at Local Burger today, thinking about grabbing Burrito King for dinner. I'm stoked he's here, but these stories about his whereabouts are a little over the top. Lets hear about how he's doing in his workouts and how the team is meshing.

Ralster Jayhawk 10 months ago

Notice Self with what could be spun as a SLAM on X: "the good ones think they're good and dont show up, while the great ones want to be even better, and want to be coached". Self also with the 3hr mtg in Canada with Wiggins' family, and 2 days later it is announced that Wiggy is choosing summer at KU instead of CanadianU19...BAM!!, there will be NO repeat of 2009-2010, if Self has anything to say about it!!! Chemistry is carefully cultivated around here, because guess who is running this show... KUBallerzUnite! (I would like to thank Jesse Newell for reminding me of all the drama of X.Henry and the 09-10 season with his "stats" article...apparently Bill Self hasnt forgotten that either.)

teddibear 10 months ago

This picture of Andrew Wiggins needs to be replaced with one where he is wearing a Kansas shirt.

Ted Hume 10 months ago

nice to see Anrio playing closer to home...

John Randall 10 months ago

USAGE: Anxious and eager both mean 'looking forward to something,' but they have different connotations. Eager suggests enthusiasm about something, a positive outlook: : I'm eager to get started on my vacation. Anxious implies worry about something: : I'm anxious to get started before it rains.

Hoosierhawkfan 10 months ago

I am anxious AND eager to fire this machine up. Rock Chalk!!!!

KUBC 10 months ago

What a physical specimen. BTW: Anxious IS an appropriate word to use.

Ryan Patti 10 months ago

Follow me on YouTube my name is RockChalkToTheGrave! I make KU news, updates, and highlight videos! Throwbacks of great players too!

Brett McCabe 10 months ago

Tulsa would have been the most obvious destination (outside of the West Coast) for Rio and the fact that Tulsa has never even been mentioned speaks volumes.

Michael Gentemann 10 months ago

The use of the word "anxious" implies worry or unease and is typically associated with situations of dread. Hopefully Andrew was not anxious, but was excited, to get to Lawrence to begin workouts. Welcome to LA Andrew.

William Blake 10 months ago

I'm counting down in yoctoseconds until his arrival. Also have the time clock running on our season opener.

It required building a custom integrated circuit using chips more capable than the 555 timer IC.

Not an easy task, but I want to remain as precise as possible because this is important!

KEITHMILES05 10 months ago

It'll be a joy to see Wiggins play Wednesday with his teammates.They already looked tremendous.

As for Adams he's pretty much a hot mess and glad he has moved on. Self made the right decision to have him leave.

joeloveshawks 10 months ago

Incredibly exciting. Can't wait to see this kid and the rest of our Hawks live in Chicago in just under 5 months. Could be the start of a special year. Rock Chalk!

The___Floater 10 months ago

Damn, it's good to be a Jayhawk!

thmdmph 10 months ago

Ben is one of my favorite Jayhawks because of his personality, but I've got to say, without even having been on KU for any more than just a few days combined, hearing how down to Earth and sound his head is, I'm growing to think Andrew will become a Jayhawk elite and best loved when he's done.

I also loved Self's quote " the ones not so good think they got it figured out". Applies to Kentucky's recruits and the Henry's, Xavier.

mattiesdad 10 months ago

No wait, it's not UNLV or Ohio. Anrio is transferring to Florida International. No wait, it's not FIT, Anrio and his 27 points are transferring to Rutgers. No wait, they are mean there. It's Ball State. No wait...

jaybate 10 months ago

Self recruiting a juco shooting guard? Is Self expecting Selden to jump? Or is Selden playing 3 and Wigs the 2 and Wigs jumping as expected? Apparently AWIII and Conner need some competition?

jaybate 10 months ago

Anrio just goofed up...again.

Jesse Johnson 10 months ago

Love this kid's attitude more and more every day. Can't wait to see him suit up as a Jayhawk.

Anrio to Ohio? Definitely not closer to home.

JayHawkFanToo 10 months ago

For the first time in many years I am pumped about basketball AND football...

OChawk 10 months ago

Enjoy every moment of your college experience Mr. Wiggins... as a fan watching you play, I know I will!

Steve Gantz 10 months ago

Can't wait til hoops season so we can get real stories!

moonlightschlademan 10 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, KS! Look forward to a wonderful, memorable year and a lifetime connection. Enjoy and appreciate each moment and thank you for the opportunity to see your talents continue to develop in the greatest environment for college basketball in the world.

wrwlumpy 10 months ago

Probably in the gym right now.

BewareofOz 10 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Andrew! Enjoy a stroll down Mass. Street which was named as one of the Top Ten Streets in America by MSNBC! Even better yet, James Naismith lived on that street. Yes, welcome to the basketball capital of the world! And remember, if both Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan could play college ball for more than one year, maybe you can too! Regardless, enjoy your flight.

DDDHawk 10 months ago

Welcome, Andrew! You're now a Jayhawk!

Nikonman 10 months ago

I bet he's checking out all the research facilities, libraries and academic departments right now. His goal will be at least a Master's degree.

Jack Wilson 10 months ago

Best news we could ask for. This is the day Wiggins has committed to KU hoops.

Boouk 10 months ago

Fellow fans, lets enjoy watching him during his one season in a KU uniform. It's not just his talent that makes him special.

prusso25 10 months ago

This rids any fear that I had of this kid being a prima donna OAD. He will only be here one year, but this shows he still cares about the team, similar to Maclemore and unlike Xavier (who worked out at home over the summer instead of bonding with the team.)

This is a special team!

Rock_Chalk_25 10 months ago

So when can I get my Wiggins jersey?!?! Rockchalk!!!

Michael Sillman 10 months ago

This kid seems like the real deal.

Lash 10 months ago

Father's Day present just arrived!!!!

iamakufan 10 months ago

Excellent. Let the bonding into a true team begin.

Ferd Magellan 10 months ago

Release the jersey-chasers! ;)

JayhawkinNM 10 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk nation Andrew... Rock Chalk!!!!!

Suzi Marshall 10 months ago

Wonder if he plans to visit Naismith's grave to pay tribute to his common Canadian roots.

Matt Stucker 10 months ago

Welcome Mr. Wiggins. Game on.

10 months ago

Only 111 Days Until Late Night!