Originally published June 15, 2013 at 03:57p.m., updated June 15, 2013 at 11:52p.m.

Andrew Wiggins arrives in Lawrence, will begin summer school this week

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

The buzz started late Saturday morning when Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self told his Parent/Child campers that prize freshman forward Andrew Wiggins of Toronto was en route to KC International Airport.

Just a few hours later — right on schedule — the country’s No. 1-rated recruiting prospect in the Class of 2013 was on KU’s campus, as confirmed to the Journal-World by Self.

And so begins the career of the 6-foot-7 Wiggins, who will attend summer school classes Monday and immediately begin working out with the 2013-14 Jayhawk team.

“Feels good to be out here in Kansas!” Wiggins said on Twitter at 6:30 p.m., Saturday.

Wiggins, who spent a couple weeks in Toronto after graduation ceremonies at Huntington (W.Va.) Prep School, was anxious to get to Lawrence and begin workouts, Self said. Wiggins a week ago said he would not be competing with Canada’s Under-19 national team, instead coming to Lawrence for summer school.

“I think there’s a false perception out there. The good ones want to be coached,” Self said Friday on 810 WHB radio. “The ones not quite as good think they’ve got it figured out. The great ones want to be coached or they wouldn’t be great. A few things separate the good from great and those things are the intangibles.”

Self has been asked many times what player Wiggins might be compared to.

“I don’t think Tracy (McGrady) is really fair. I don’t know if he scores the ball like Tracy,” Self said. “Dominique (Wilkins) I don’t think ... he is not as powerful as Dominique. There may be some similarities there. LeBron (James) is definitely a bad (comparison). This kid weighs 200 pounds and we’re comparing him to a 260-pound monster. That’s not fair.

“I think he’s just going to be him. That’s all he has to do is come in here and just want to fit in. I think the expectations will be so high but I think we might as well embrace them and not run from them. The bottom line is he could be as talented as anybody and average 13 points a game because he can do so many things. I don’t know how it’s going to play out. I know he’s excited about being with his teammates. He deflects praise to others which is a cool thing to see. He just wants to be part of a team and win. His attitude has been remarkable as far as that goes.”

Anrio Adams to Ohio: Former KU guard Anrio Adams has decided to transfer to Ohio University, Adams said in a text message to the Journal-World on Saturday. Adams, a 6-3 guard from Seattle, averaged 3.5 minutes a game in 24 games his freshman season. He scored 27 points off 10-of-25 shooting. He made two of five threes and five of 13 free throws. Last week, he was talking about a transfer to UNLV that never materialized.

Juco target: Kadeem Allen, a 6-3 freshman shooting guard from Hutchinson Community College, is being recruited by KU, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Kansas State and others, ESPN.com reports. Allen averaged 17.1 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game his frosh season at Hutch. He’s originally from Wilmington, N.C.

Comments

1 year, 4 months ago

Only 111 Days Until Late Night!

DDDHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Is that for KU's Midnight Madness date?

COHawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

I think you mean Late Night in the Phog.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

No, it's Midnight Madness at Kansas University :)

Brad Farha 1 year, 4 months ago

Midnight Madness is a registered trademark of the NCAA. At KU it's been called 'Late night with Larry Brown/Roy William/In the Phog' in the Brown/Williams/Self era.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 4 months ago

Wonder if he plans to visit Naismith's grave to pay tribute to his common Canadian roots.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

A nice bit of info that I didn't know. Basketball could have been the national sport of Canada if he invented the game there.

It would be hard to play on ice w/skates though.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 4 months ago

What a great idea for a spin on playing the game. I'd love to see some of those high flying dunks come off the ice wearing skates! I suppone the "Traveling" call would need to be thought through some.

Big_Dipper 1 year, 4 months ago

Heck with the 360 windmill. Let's see them go for the triple axel windmill slam!

Lex Valdez 1 year, 4 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk nation Andrew... Rock Chalk!!!!!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 4 months ago

Excellent. Let the bonding into a true team begin.

Lash 1 year, 4 months ago

Father's Day present just arrived!!!!

Jim Erickson 1 year, 4 months ago

He's certainly no Cairo_Jayhawk... But he looks pretty good.

Rock_Chalk_25 1 year, 4 months ago

So when can I get my Wiggins jersey?!?! Rockchalk!!!

prusso25 1 year, 4 months ago

This rids any fear that I had of this kid being a prima donna OAD. He will only be here one year, but this shows he still cares about the team, similar to Maclemore and unlike Xavier (who worked out at home over the summer instead of bonding with the team.)

This is a special team!

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

I share your sentiments, Prusso. I think the kid is another Ben. Nice, humble, hard working and a team player. Lets hope he is a little more aggressive than Ben. .

This team could be one of KU's best ever. A nice combination of young guys and some with a little experience.

The only problem I see is HCBS finding sufficient playing time for everyone. If the team chemistry gels, the Final Four is a very very big possiblity, and a NC would not be surprising.

Perry Ellis came on strong during the tail end of the season, and I think he is going to emerge as a beast and team leader.

Should be fun.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 4 months ago

He is definitely a OAD, but he is approaching it the right way. Looks like he will be a university student playing college basketball this year rather than skipping out of the academics and using Kansas as an NBA Prep.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

Imagine how depressing the 2013-14 season, especially the NCAA Tournament, would be if Wiggins chose UK. Give him credit for doing something different from most recruits highly pursued by Calipari.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Come on, now .. you wouldn't have loved to see KU as the 4 seed playing 1 seed UK in the sweet 16? All the pressure on UK?

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 4 months ago

Not really. I witnessed something similar in New Orleans first-hand in 2012 and we lost. It didn't feel too good as the pressure didn't get to them. I had a 12 hour ride home with a Kentucky fan.

MimiHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

We had 1 returning starter, no McD AA's, and had a former walk-on and a junior college transfer coming off the bench... AND they almost lost to us.

Their basketball arena is named after a Jayhawk. UK = yuck

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

The racist Adolph Rupp is not someone I'm proud of having as an alumni. The very fact that Kentucky plays in an arena named for him says quite a bit about UK.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

I would HEM, although it would more than likely be in the regional finals.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

A one vs. four could never be in the regional finals. Only the Sweet Sixteen or in the Final Four (including the championship game).

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

mentioned regional finals because KU would more likely be a #2 or #3 seed rather than a #4 seed.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM - As much as I would like to see KU (with any seed - 8 seed sounds good) against Kentucky in the finals, I think I prefer having the team we have now.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

Fellow fans, lets enjoy watching him during his one season in a KU uniform. It's not just his talent that makes him special.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Best news we could ask for. This is the day Wiggins has committed to KU hoops.

Nikonman 1 year, 4 months ago

I bet he's checking out all the research facilities, libraries and academic departments right now. His goal will be at least a Master's degree.

milehighhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Isn't that what most kids do on their first day on campus?

DDDHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Welcome, Andrew! You're now a Jayhawk!

BewareofOz 1 year, 4 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Andrew! Enjoy a stroll down Mass. Street which was named as one of the Top Ten Streets in America by MSNBC! Even better yet, James Naismith lived on that street. Yes, welcome to the basketball capital of the world! And remember, if both Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan could play college ball for more than one year, maybe you can too! Regardless, enjoy your flight.

moonlightschlademan 1 year, 4 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, KS! Look forward to a wonderful, memorable year and a lifetime connection. Enjoy and appreciate each moment and thank you for the opportunity to see your talents continue to develop in the greatest environment for college basketball in the world.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 4 months ago

Can't wait til hoops season so we can get real stories!

OChawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Enjoy every moment of your college experience Mr. Wiggins... as a fan watching you play, I know I will!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

For the first time in many years I am pumped about basketball AND football...

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree, although I think the quality of the football team is still a mystery. We will soon find out though, won't we.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

Love this kid's attitude more and more every day. Can't wait to see him suit up as a Jayhawk.

Anrio to Ohio? Definitely not closer to home.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Self recruiting a juco shooting guard? Is Self expecting Selden to jump? Or is Selden playing 3 and Wigs the 2 and Wigs jumping as expected? Apparently AWIII and Conner need some competition?

Jim Erickson 1 year, 4 months ago

Looks like Seldon is a Small Forward that will be playing SG for us... My guess is that our offense will resemble last years with 2 Small Forward types (McLemore & Releford) and one true point guard in Naadir Tharpe. If that happens, this will be a TALL team.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 4 months ago

Can you please give him enough courtesy to spell his name correctly?

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

Ehhhhh, I'm an English teacher, and I don't care. Ben Franklin once said, "I feel sorry for a person who can only spell a word one way."

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree with Blown. Not caring about how to spell or pronounce a persons name is showing them disrespect. It's rude.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 4 months ago

Please accept my DEEPEST apologies for my transgression.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

Selden is being protected as a possible 2014 lottery pick by a few of the bigger NBA draft sites so it very well could be 50/50 on Selden leaving. Even if Selden ends up being TAD, KU still has a need for a 6-3 or 6-4 guard and Kadeem Allen fills that need. It's also an indicator that Self probably doesn't have plans of playing Frankamp with Tharpe or Mason together much either.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

Projected as a possible 2014 lottery pick.

mattiesdad 1 year, 4 months ago

No wait, it's not UNLV or Ohio. Anrio is transferring to Florida International. No wait, it's not FIT, Anrio and his 27 points are transferring to Rutgers. No wait, they are mean there. It's Ball State. No wait...

thmdmph 1 year, 4 months ago

Ben is one of my favorite Jayhawks because of his personality, but I've got to say, without even having been on KU for any more than just a few days combined, hearing how down to Earth and sound his head is, I'm growing to think Andrew will become a Jayhawk elite and best loved when he's done.

I also loved Self's quote " the ones not so good think they got it figured out". Applies to Kentucky's recruits and the Henry's, Xavier.

Casey Gee 1 year, 4 months ago

If it applies to anyone it applies to Josh Selby.

Dan Cook 1 year, 4 months ago

This couldn't be more inaccurate regarding Xavier. Carl maybe, but X was a very coachable kid and a great teammate.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 4 months ago

Incredibly exciting. Can't wait to see this kid and the rest of our Hawks live in Chicago in just under 5 months. Could be the start of a special year. Rock Chalk!

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 4 months ago

It'll be a joy to see Wiggins play Wednesday with his teammates.They already looked tremendous.

As for Adams he's pretty much a hot mess and glad he has moved on. Self made the right decision to have him leave.

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 4 months ago

The use of the word "anxious" implies worry or unease and is typically associated with situations of dread. Hopefully Andrew was not anxious, but was excited, to get to Lawrence to begin workouts. Welcome to LA Andrew.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

Anxious has a long history of use roughly as a synonym for eager, but many prefer that anxious be used only when its subject is worried or uneasy about the anticipated event. In the traditional view, one may say We are anxious to see the strike settled soon but not We are anxious to see the new show of British sculpture at the museum. Fifty-two percent of the Usage Panel rejects anxious in the latter sentence. But general adoption of anxious to mean "eager" is understandable, at least in colloquial discourse, since it provides a means of adding emotional urgency to an assertion. It implies that the subject so strongly desires a certain outcome that frustration of that desire will lead to unhappiness. In this way, it resembles the informal adjective dying in sentences such as I'm dying to see your new baby.

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 4 months ago

So, was I 52% correct? I am but a lowly architect. My 8 year-old daughter corrects me whenever I use the word anxious to describe a situation that I am greatly anticipating. I am going to read your response word-for-word to her next time she corrects me. Anyway, I still hope AW was looking forward to his trip and that he loves his time in Lawrence.

John Randall 1 year, 4 months ago

Eager is the word you're searching for.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

Tulsa would have been the most obvious destination (outside of the West Coast) for Rio and the fact that Tulsa has never even been mentioned speaks volumes.

oldalum 1 year, 4 months ago

I feel sorry for him. He's like a little lost soul. One day he's going to grow up and regret many of the decisions he's made lately.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 4 months ago

Follow me on YouTube my name is RockChalkToTheGrave! I make KU news, updates, and highlight videos! Throwbacks of great players too!

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 4 months ago

^ Not relevant to this article. Obviously shameless self promotion.

KUBC 1 year, 4 months ago

What a physical specimen. BTW: Anxious IS an appropriate word to use.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 4 months ago

I am anxious AND eager to fire this machine up. Rock Chalk!!!!

John Randall 1 year, 4 months ago

USAGE: Anxious and eager both mean 'looking forward to something,' but they have different connotations. Eager suggests enthusiasm about something, a positive outlook: : I'm eager to get started on my vacation. Anxious implies worry about something: : I'm anxious to get started before it rains.

Ted Hume 1 year, 4 months ago

nice to see Anrio playing closer to home...

teddibear 1 year, 4 months ago

This picture of Andrew Wiggins needs to be replaced with one where he is wearing a Kansas shirt.

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 4 months ago

Next story: Wiggins ate at Local Burger today, thinking about grabbing Burrito King for dinner. I'm stoked he's here, but these stories about his whereabouts are a little over the top. Lets hear about how he's doing in his workouts and how the team is meshing.

rbradconway 1 year, 4 months ago

If anyone feels like looking at my pictures of Andrew Wiggins arriving at the airport, follow me @rbradconway on Twitter. I have a few pictures of him arriving at the gate and an autograph on a Kansas t-shirt I brought. Pretty awesome!