Friday, June 14, 2013

Reed game-winner highlights annual KU alumni classic

Jeff Graves, left, holds Kevin Young as former Kansas University players squared off during the annual Rock Chalk Roundball Classic, Thursday, June 13, 2013, at Free State High.

The winningest player in Kansas University basketball history drilled the game-winning shot in Thursday’s Rock Chalk Roundball Classic charity game in Free State High’s gym.

KU Med School physical-therapy student Tyrel Reed — who was part of 132 victories against 17 losses in his four-year KU career — accepted a pass from Tyshawn Taylor and swished a three-pointer from the corner with :45 left in overtime to give the KU alumni Blue team a 100-97 victory over the White squad.

“I love that shot,” 24-year-old Burlington native Reed said of the three from the side. “I was telling Ty he had to get it to me at the end. He knew he needed to. It worked out,” added Reed, who finished with 15 points off five threes.

Sherron Collins (11 points) and Conner Teahan (nine) both missed threes that would have forced a second overtime in a game played for charity in a sold-out gymnasium.

“It felt great. It felt like I was playing a little again, out of retirement,” said Reed, who played at KU from 2008-11, following that with a short stint as a professional in Belgium.

“I miss basketball. I definitely do,” Reed added. “I played it my whole life. It’s what I love to do. I knew there was a time I needed to step away. Now I just have fun (playing basketball).”

The White team’s Kevin Young led all scorers with 22 points. Other White team members in double figures:

Wayne Simien (17), Jeff Hawkins (13), Collins (11). Jeff Graves led the Blue team with 19 points. Reed had 15, Billy Thomas 12 points, Taylor and Mario Little 11 and Jordan Juenemann 10.

Ortiz has blast: Former WBC welterweight boxing champion Victor Ortiz did not score for the White squad.

“I had fun, though,” said Ortiz, the 2013 “Dancing with the Stars” fan favorite who danced at halftime with four women who donated a fee for charity.

On the court, Ortiz bobbled the basketball on three or four possessions but never turned it over.

“I have bad hands because I was super-nervous around everybody here. This is way out of my comfort zone,” Ortiz said. “I thought ‘Dancing with the Stars’ was, but this is way worse.”

Ortiz, who lost his last fight when he suffered a broken jaw against Josésito López, said he will fight in September against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“There have been some names tossed around, but I’m not really sure,” Ortiz said of his upcoming foe. “I am in training camp. I’ll be world champion this year. I have no doubt in my mind. Rock Chalk,” added Ortiz, a huge KU basketball fan.

He explained his throwing in the towel because of his broken jaw.

“I broke it in the fourth (round). I fought five more rounds with it broken and hanging, me holding onto it with my glove,” Ortiz said. “I got criticized for that, heartless, gutless, whatever. At the end of the day, I was being cautious with my own safety.”

Young in Vegas: Former KU forward Kevin Young has been working out in Las Vegas in hopes of catching on with an NBA team this summer.

“If not, I’ll go overseas to play,” said Young, who said he’d yet to receive an invitation to work out for any NBA teams in advance of the June 27 draft.

“Eventually I’ll be teaching little kids,” added Young, who wants to be a teacher. “I enjoy giving back to little kids, helping in the community. That will be a perfect way to do it.”

Of playing against other draft hopefuls and pros in Vegas, he said: “It’s been a lot of fun. There are a lot of guys there to go up and down the court with.”

Thomas still can shoot: Former KU guard Billy Thomas, head coach at Barstow (Mo.) School, drilled four threes for the winning Blue team.

“I joke with the (high school) kids. I’m tempted to get back in shape to make a comeback,” Thomas, 37, said. “I tell ’em I can still shoot it. It’s the cardio, conditioning and legs. I’ve got to work on that.”

He said he’d someday like to be a college coach.

“Ultimately ... that’s the dream,” Thomas said. “I feel I’m in a real good spot now. I’m getting a chance to learn, be a head coach, make decisions that affect our entire team. I take great pride in it. I think I’m getting the right experience.

“I’ve got a talented bunch,” he added. “We’re young. I’m still trying to teach them how to play the right way, to think about it as a team sport, everybody contribute in their own little ways. For the most part, everybody is buying in, but I’ve got a couple older kids still feel like it’s about them. I’ve got some work still to do. I’ve still got a job,” he added, laughing.

This, that: KU coach Bill Self, who attended Thursday night’s Spurs-Heat NBA Finals game in San Antonio, said at the KVC Heroes luncheon he expected freshman Andrew Wiggins would arrive in town this weekend. ... Power forward Wayne Simien hit a deep fade-away shot and had two vicious dunks. Simien also passed off the backboard to a trailing Young for a slam ... Collins took it the length of the court for a layup, a move immediately answered by Taylor. ... Nick Bradford threw a one-handed alley-oop pass that swished for a three. He hit a conventional three on the next possession for six quick points. ... Perry-Lecompton coach Jeff Hawkins scored 13 points. ... Blue team coach Scot Pollard at one point stepped on the court and stole the ball, hitting a layup.

Blue 100, White 97, OT

WHITE (97)

Kevin Young 22 points, Wayne Simien 17, Jeff Hawkins 13, Sherron Collins 11, Conner Teahan 9, Scooter Barry 8, Nick Bradford 8, Brady Morningstar 6, Cooper Woestendick 4 points, Victor Ortiz 0.

BLUE (100)

Jeff Graves 19, Tyrel Reed 15, Billy Thomas 12, Mario Little 11, Tyshawn Taylor 11, Jordan Juenemann 10, Carolyn Davis 6, Ryan Robertson 5, Stephen Vinson 3, Brandon McAnderson 3, Scot Pollard 2, Jakob Askins 2, Brennan Bechard 0. x-points unofficial; they do not add up.

Comments

The___Floater 10 months, 1 week ago

Hearing and seeing all these Alums play, just brings back memories doesn't it? Speaking of Jayahwk alums, anyone know how good ol' Keith "Freeze" Langford is doing? I havent heard much about him! He still overseas?

jaybate 10 months, 1 week ago

Thanks to everyone that weighed in on my idea for a university pro league. All we need to bring this off is to convince Adidas management is thAt it will help them sell new uniform types.

coloradojayhawk 10 months, 1 week ago

For those of you who understand it's not just how KU looks to recruits, but also how Lawrence and the area look, check out this article about Patrick Ewing on a recruiting trip to North Carolina: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/georgetown-great-ewing-passed-unc-due-kkk-rally-article-1.1372377?localLinksEnabled=false

It may now, in these days of social media, also show that how fans treat players and recruits has an impact on players. I remember the days of haters after Wiggins chose KU over Kentucky and the Kentucky fans blew up Twitter and various boards with their disappointment, scorn and derision.

KCJHawk08 10 months, 1 week ago

Did anybody else think about the open Director of Basketball Operations job when reading about Billy Thomas? I know it would probably be a stretch, but as soon as I read the part about how he would eventually like to be a college coach, I couldn't help but think of that opening.

PwopellewCap 10 months, 1 week ago

Sherron can still move for a guy who is prolly pushing almost 300 lbs

Dirk Medema 10 months, 1 week ago

Of course the player points don't add up to the team point. They don't include Pollard's layup. Gotta love Scott.

JayhawkRock78 10 months, 1 week ago

Jaybate, Your new league is spot on. When I hit the lotto we can meet in Lawrence @ the Wheel and draw the plans up on napkins... to be framed and mounted there once the league takes off.

William Blake 10 months, 1 week ago

I miss Kevin Young's smile already...

Tony Bandle 10 months, 1 week ago

Random Thoughts.

1] JB's idea is golden....if the NBA and the NCAA got imto a bidding war for players to fill this league, I think we'd be surprised as to just how much money the NCAA actually has....a lot!!

2] Everytime I see or hear about Tyrel, I picture that photo of him giving that hot KU Ladyhawk a massage and curse myself for picking architecture!! :)

3] Look closely at the main photo..it looks like everybody is laughing , even the ref!!

4] THE WIGGINS WATCH CONTINUES. Don't worry...even if he doesn't make it till July 4th, that will still be about two months earlier than originally projected.

5] Scot Pollard may be my all-time favorite Jayhawk simply for the things he says and does OFF the court!!

6] What is Scooter Barry,,about 60 now?? :)

7] Looks like the defense in this game was McDonald All-Star-Like.

8] Just curious but didn't see anywhere exactly what Charity they were playing for?

9] Projections for the Big Twelve: #1 team-Kansas Jayhawk Starting Five, #2 Team-Oklahoma State, #3 team-Kansas Jayhawk Second Squad!!

10] A good friend of mine in Lawrence was able to peek in at the Jayhawk pick-up games and was overwhelmed by the athleticism and intensty of the scrimmages...and Andrew isn't even there yet. Forget the young part, folks, this Jayhawk team is one of the three best in the country!!

Mike Plank 10 months, 1 week ago

Would like to have known about this BEFORE it happened. How about an article before the event saying when/where/who? Or did I just miss it?

ittyandpace 10 months, 1 week ago

Jaybate, awesome idea. Sign me up for a lifetime subscription to the "Crimson and Blue" channel. You just get used to seeing these guys play and then the 1-4 years pass by way too fast.

Jeff Suther 10 months, 1 week ago

Jeff graves and Kevin young lead teams in scorning. That would be interesting to watch

chriz 10 months, 1 week ago

What's Tyrel Reed up to now?

jayhawkintexas 10 months, 1 week ago

Cooper who??? Was Angel Goodrich invited to play?

ChicagoJHawk 10 months, 1 week ago

That's a great idea, Jaybate.

I used the think the idea of Kevin Young playing in the NBA is crazy, but I changed my mind as I saw him develop and improve over time. Especially when I see a guy like Taj Gibson doing well in the NBA, I have no doubt Kevin young can do well too. Taj Gibson was nothing special in college and I was disappointed when the Bulls got him but he turned out to be really good. If that doesn't work out for some reason, there's no doubt he's good enough to play in Europe.

jaybate 10 months, 1 week ago

It is an insane waste of talent and revenue potential that the top 50 D1 athletic departments don't start a professional league. They could sell soap and adidas on TV to me with the guys on these two KU legends teams for sure. Imagine a pro league set up to continue playing the game college style!!! I would be way more interested and attached to these guys than any NBA team. And gamblers will bet on any level of competition. The NBA D-league is a waste. A KU, UK, UNC, DUKE, etc. pro league would create real value, because the branding is already built in. Our guys shouldn't have to go overseas to make a living, when they could make one right here!!!!!

He'll, if they don't like a pro league, organize it as a graduate league in which guys pursue graduate degrees!!

These are a great bunch of players being wasted.

Brianna Zaleski 10 months, 1 week ago

I find it odd that every time HCBS talks about Wiggins' ETA to campus, it gets pushed back a day or so. I just want the kid to get here already, start developing chemistry w his teammates and past Jayhawks.

KansasComet 10 months, 1 week ago

When I think of Kevin Young, I think about the big game he had against Ohio State in Allen Field House. Hopefully, he can play the game of basketball for money somewhere.

Ryan Patti 10 months, 1 week ago

Would anyone by any chance have the full-game of us vs Purdue 2 years ago?

JayHawkFanToo 10 months, 1 week ago

Nice to see so many players come back for the game. RCJK.