Friday, June 14, 2013

Reed game-winner highlights annual KU alumni classic

Jeff Graves, left, holds Kevin Young as former Kansas University players squared off during the annual Rock Chalk Roundball Classic, Thursday, June 13, 2013, at Free State High.

The winningest player in Kansas University basketball history drilled the game-winning shot in Thursday’s Rock Chalk Roundball Classic charity game in Free State High’s gym.

KU Med School physical-therapy student Tyrel Reed — who was part of 132 victories against 17 losses in his four-year KU career — accepted a pass from Tyshawn Taylor and swished a three-pointer from the corner with :45 left in overtime to give the KU alumni Blue team a 100-97 victory over the White squad.

“I love that shot,” 24-year-old Burlington native Reed said of the three from the side. “I was telling Ty he had to get it to me at the end. He knew he needed to. It worked out,” added Reed, who finished with 15 points off five threes.

Sherron Collins (11 points) and Conner Teahan (nine) both missed threes that would have forced a second overtime in a game played for charity in a sold-out gymnasium.

“It felt great. It felt like I was playing a little again, out of retirement,” said Reed, who played at KU from 2008-11, following that with a short stint as a professional in Belgium.

“I miss basketball. I definitely do,” Reed added. “I played it my whole life. It’s what I love to do. I knew there was a time I needed to step away. Now I just have fun (playing basketball).”

The White team’s Kevin Young led all scorers with 22 points. Other White team members in double figures:

Wayne Simien (17), Jeff Hawkins (13), Collins (11). Jeff Graves led the Blue team with 19 points. Reed had 15, Billy Thomas 12 points, Taylor and Mario Little 11 and Jordan Juenemann 10.

Ortiz has blast: Former WBC welterweight boxing champion Victor Ortiz did not score for the White squad.

“I had fun, though,” said Ortiz, the 2013 “Dancing with the Stars” fan favorite who danced at halftime with four women who donated a fee for charity.

On the court, Ortiz bobbled the basketball on three or four possessions but never turned it over.

“I have bad hands because I was super-nervous around everybody here. This is way out of my comfort zone,” Ortiz said. “I thought ‘Dancing with the Stars’ was, but this is way worse.”

Ortiz, who lost his last fight when he suffered a broken jaw against Josésito López, said he will fight in September against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“There have been some names tossed around, but I’m not really sure,” Ortiz said of his upcoming foe. “I am in training camp. I’ll be world champion this year. I have no doubt in my mind. Rock Chalk,” added Ortiz, a huge KU basketball fan.

He explained his throwing in the towel because of his broken jaw.

“I broke it in the fourth (round). I fought five more rounds with it broken and hanging, me holding onto it with my glove,” Ortiz said. “I got criticized for that, heartless, gutless, whatever. At the end of the day, I was being cautious with my own safety.”

Young in Vegas: Former KU forward Kevin Young has been working out in Las Vegas in hopes of catching on with an NBA team this summer.

“If not, I’ll go overseas to play,” said Young, who said he’d yet to receive an invitation to work out for any NBA teams in advance of the June 27 draft.

“Eventually I’ll be teaching little kids,” added Young, who wants to be a teacher. “I enjoy giving back to little kids, helping in the community. That will be a perfect way to do it.”

Of playing against other draft hopefuls and pros in Vegas, he said: “It’s been a lot of fun. There are a lot of guys there to go up and down the court with.”

Thomas still can shoot: Former KU guard Billy Thomas, head coach at Barstow (Mo.) School, drilled four threes for the winning Blue team.

“I joke with the (high school) kids. I’m tempted to get back in shape to make a comeback,” Thomas, 37, said. “I tell ’em I can still shoot it. It’s the cardio, conditioning and legs. I’ve got to work on that.”

He said he’d someday like to be a college coach.

“Ultimately ... that’s the dream,” Thomas said. “I feel I’m in a real good spot now. I’m getting a chance to learn, be a head coach, make decisions that affect our entire team. I take great pride in it. I think I’m getting the right experience.

“I’ve got a talented bunch,” he added. “We’re young. I’m still trying to teach them how to play the right way, to think about it as a team sport, everybody contribute in their own little ways. For the most part, everybody is buying in, but I’ve got a couple older kids still feel like it’s about them. I’ve got some work still to do. I’ve still got a job,” he added, laughing.

This, that: KU coach Bill Self, who attended Thursday night’s Spurs-Heat NBA Finals game in San Antonio, said at the KVC Heroes luncheon he expected freshman Andrew Wiggins would arrive in town this weekend. ... Power forward Wayne Simien hit a deep fade-away shot and had two vicious dunks. Simien also passed off the backboard to a trailing Young for a slam ... Collins took it the length of the court for a layup, a move immediately answered by Taylor. ... Nick Bradford threw a one-handed alley-oop pass that swished for a three. He hit a conventional three on the next possession for six quick points. ... Perry-Lecompton coach Jeff Hawkins scored 13 points. ... Blue team coach Scot Pollard at one point stepped on the court and stole the ball, hitting a layup.

Blue 100, White 97, OT

WHITE (97)

Kevin Young 22 points, Wayne Simien 17, Jeff Hawkins 13, Sherron Collins 11, Conner Teahan 9, Scooter Barry 8, Nick Bradford 8, Brady Morningstar 6, Cooper Woestendick 4 points, Victor Ortiz 0.

BLUE (100)

Jeff Graves 19, Tyrel Reed 15, Billy Thomas 12, Mario Little 11, Tyshawn Taylor 11, Jordan Juenemann 10, Carolyn Davis 6, Ryan Robertson 5, Stephen Vinson 3, Brandon McAnderson 3, Scot Pollard 2, Jakob Askins 2, Brennan Bechard 0. x-points unofficial; they do not add up.

Comments

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice to see so many players come back for the game. RCJK.

miajhwk 1 year, 4 months ago

scooter barry???!!! are you kidding me??? nice!

JacquesMerde 1 year, 4 months ago

KU really has had a lot of great players. Makes you wonder why only one national champion this century and only three NCAA championships since the final four playoffs (tournament) began. So close, so much more. We need better Karma. BTW, who is Cooper Woestendick? Gary Bedore?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Great seeing Jeff Graves..one of the best juco players to play KU in my memory.. Maybe Mario Little.

Ryan Patti 1 year, 4 months ago

Would anyone by any chance have the full-game of us vs Purdue 2 years ago?

Adam Collins 1 year, 4 months ago

I got the final KU-Mizzou game at Allen Fieldhouse from this website. It looks sketch, but everything worked out fine when I got my DVD. The only part that wasn't great was that it is literally a copy of the live broadcast so you have commercials, etc. Since the KU-Mizzou game went to overtime, the DVD started part way through the first half.

KansasComet 1 year, 4 months ago

When I think of Kevin Young, I think about the big game he had against Ohio State in Allen Field House. Hopefully, he can play the game of basketball for money somewhere.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Hard to imagine that with his work ethic, intensity, athleticism and love of the game, he wouldn't at least be able to make money overseas.

But it would be nice if some NBA team would realize his value as a role player. He was definitely my favorite player on last year's team.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 4 months ago

I find it odd that every time HCBS talks about Wiggins' ETA to campus, it gets pushed back a day or so. I just want the kid to get here already, start developing chemistry w his teammates and past Jayhawks.

Lindsey Buscher 1 year, 4 months ago

The NCAA has "paperwork" for him still, they'll have him cleared to play by December of 2014.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm wounded. A curse on all your posts!
I am mortally wounded.

Is he gone without even a game?

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

It is an insane waste of talent and revenue potential that the top 50 D1 athletic departments don't start a professional league. They could sell soap and adidas on TV to me with the guys on these two KU legends teams for sure. Imagine a pro league set up to continue playing the game college style!!! I would be way more interested and attached to these guys than any NBA team. And gamblers will bet on any level of competition. The NBA D-league is a waste. A KU, UK, UNC, DUKE, etc. pro league would create real value, because the branding is already built in. Our guys shouldn't have to go overseas to make a living, when they could make one right here!!!!!

He'll, if they don't like a pro league, organize it as a graduate league in which guys pursue graduate degrees!!

These are a great bunch of players being wasted.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 4 months ago

I love your idea. I suppose the pro part might not be a fit with college athletic depts. I wonder about the interest of some of the semi retired ex-NBA players. I enjoyed the Russell player/coach era. Parker is serving that function for the Spurs. Would some of the more affluent alumni enjoy the owner/player/coach role? Perhaps MJ could be diverted from imploding the Bobcats. (I live in South Carolina. I'm not an NBA fan but want to see live hoops and don't want to patronize the SEC or ACC. Currently opting for Coastal Carolina, College of Charleston or Citadel games)

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

It might take away from NBA interest. It would mine.

JacquesMerde 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree. If the KU alumni came to Houston to play I go to the game.

ChicagoJHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

That's a great idea, Jaybate.

I used the think the idea of Kevin Young playing in the NBA is crazy, but I changed my mind as I saw him develop and improve over time. Especially when I see a guy like Taj Gibson doing well in the NBA, I have no doubt Kevin young can do well too. Taj Gibson was nothing special in college and I was disappointed when the Bulls got him but he turned out to be really good. If that doesn't work out for some reason, there's no doubt he's good enough to play in Europe.

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 4 months ago

Cooper who??? Was Angel Goodrich invited to play?

ohjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

From reading Keegan's article, Cooper Woestendick is the grandson of former KU player Delvy Lewis and is a camp attendee. It's odd that wasn't mentioned in this article too so there wouldn't have to be any cross-referencing.

Ted Hume 1 year, 4 months ago

...KU Med School physical-therapy student Tyrel Reed — who was part of 132 victories against 17 losses in his four-year KU career — accepted a pass from Tyshawn Taylor and swished a three-pointer...

Jeff Suther 1 year, 4 months ago

Jeff graves and Kevin young lead teams in scorning. That would be interesting to watch

ittyandpace 1 year, 4 months ago

Jaybate, awesome idea. Sign me up for a lifetime subscription to the "Crimson and Blue" channel. You just get used to seeing these guys play and then the 1-4 years pass by way too fast.

Mike Plank 1 year, 4 months ago

Would like to have known about this BEFORE it happened. How about an article before the event saying when/where/who? Or did I just miss it?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Like them including the info in yesterday's article?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Random Thoughts.

1] JB's idea is golden....if the NBA and the NCAA got imto a bidding war for players to fill this league, I think we'd be surprised as to just how much money the NCAA actually has....a lot!!

2] Everytime I see or hear about Tyrel, I picture that photo of him giving that hot KU Ladyhawk a massage and curse myself for picking architecture!! :)

3] Look closely at the main photo..it looks like everybody is laughing , even the ref!!

4] THE WIGGINS WATCH CONTINUES. Don't worry...even if he doesn't make it till July 4th, that will still be about two months earlier than originally projected.

5] Scot Pollard may be my all-time favorite Jayhawk simply for the things he says and does OFF the court!!

6] What is Scooter Barry,,about 60 now?? :)

7] Looks like the defense in this game was McDonald All-Star-Like.

8] Just curious but didn't see anywhere exactly what Charity they were playing for?

9] Projections for the Big Twelve: #1 team-Kansas Jayhawk Starting Five, #2 Team-Oklahoma State, #3 team-Kansas Jayhawk Second Squad!!

10] A good friend of mine in Lawrence was able to peek in at the Jayhawk pick-up games and was overwhelmed by the athleticism and intensty of the scrimmages...and Andrew isn't even there yet. Forget the young part, folks, this Jayhawk team is one of the three best in the country!!

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

Good points, Oakville, especially about them not mentioning the charity. Unfortunately, the LJW has a bad habit of leaving out those types of basic information.

I love the picture you mentioned. I also love the photo of Tyshawn holding the kid; Tyshawn has a pretty great smile to match KY's.

oldalum 1 year, 4 months ago

It was mentioned in another article, I think. Two local youths suffering from cancer. It gave their names.

David Leathers 1 year, 4 months ago

Naadir's smile isn't too shabby...

Photo courtesy of LJW

Photo courtesy of LJW by David Leathers

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 4 months ago

Jaybate, Your new league is spot on. When I hit the lotto we can meet in Lawrence @ the Wheel and draw the plans up on napkins... to be framed and mounted there once the league takes off.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Of course the player points don't add up to the team point. They don't include Pollard's layup. Gotta love Scott.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 4 months ago

You might want to repost this message, Lumpy. He'd have to be one of their best players going in.

KCJHawk08 1 year, 4 months ago

Did anybody else think about the open Director of Basketball Operations job when reading about Billy Thomas? I know it would probably be a stretch, but as soon as I read the part about how he would eventually like to be a college coach, I couldn't help but think of that opening.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

For those of you who understand it's not just how KU looks to recruits, but also how Lawrence and the area look, check out this article about Patrick Ewing on a recruiting trip to North Carolina: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/georgetown-great-ewing-passed-unc-due-kkk-rally-article-1.1372377?localLinksEnabled=false

It may now, in these days of social media, also show that how fans treat players and recruits has an impact on players. I remember the days of haters after Wiggins chose KU over Kentucky and the Kentucky fans blew up Twitter and various boards with their disappointment, scorn and derision.

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

You're right, colorado. I know that Self can't really use those Kentucky fans' posts in recruiting, but hopefully other people can make sure that recruits are aware of them.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks to everyone that weighed in on my idea for a university pro league. All we need to bring this off is to convince Adidas management is thAt it will help them sell new uniform types.

The___Floater 1 year, 4 months ago

Hearing and seeing all these Alums play, just brings back memories doesn't it? Speaking of Jayahwk alums, anyone know how good ol' Keith "Freeze" Langford is doing? I havent heard much about him! He still overseas?

The___Floater 1 year, 4 months ago

*Jayhawk (sure did chop that one up huh?)