Thursday, June 13, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Tyshawn Taylor cautions about vultures

It was nice to see Wednesday afternoon that the Tyshawn Taylor we all saw grow up before our eyes during his time in Lawrence, highlighted by a big emotional growth spurt late in his career, has continued to mature.

His look, his game and the words that spilled from his mouth could best be summed up by one word: professional.

As is the case with impending high-lottery pick Ben McLemore, Taylor came up rough, McLemore in St. Louis, Taylor in New Jersey and Florida and back to New Jersey. Now Taylor makes big money and wears a big gold target on his back, one the vultures can see from miles away.

Taylor didn’t get much playing time as a rookie, twice scored in double figures and averaged 2.2 points. He made six of 13 three-pointers. He’s so quick that he’ll get a good shot to stick, and he works hard at improving his game. Just as important, it sounds as if he’s taking the right precautions to prevent himself from getting fleeced.

Taylor and McLemore never were teammates in games, but they did practice together daily for one semester. Naturally, they got along well, given that they are two of the friendliest college basketball players I’ve ever covered.

Taylor, like the rest of us, is rooting for McLemore not to lose his future fortune to bloodsuckers.

“Ben’s going to have a lot bigger problem with that than me,” Taylor said. “His paycheck is going to be a little bit bigger than mine. But I think it’s all within yourself. You’ve got to be able to tell people no. You have to be able to have some good people with you that can tell people no. But when you’re in a situation where you come from little and you get enough, you want to be able to help as many people as you can.”

But not nearly as many as want to be “helped” by you. It sounds easy to all of us to just shut people down, but Taylor doesn’t make it sound easy.

“Ben being the young, nice kid he is, I think Ben is going to try to do that,” Taylor said of helping as many people as he can. “But you have to do that within limits. You can’t overdo it. You can’t go broke yourself trying to help other people. I think that hurts a lot of people in this league.”

McLemore enters the world of big money a couple of years younger than Taylor, and saying no hasn’t been easy even for Taylor.

“You don’t necessarily feel like you owe people, but you always want to help, especially if you know you can, but it can be overwhelming at times,” Taylor said. “I’m dealing with that myself. It can be overwhelming. I think he’ll be fine, though.”

Taylor said he hired an agent to negotiate his contract and selected a separate person to serve as his financial adviser. Here’s hoping he’ll be drawing a big NBA check for a long time. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who ever will turn arrogant.

Comments

Jack Jones 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Been away to Hollywood ~ didn't see Kate Upton ~ but agree the "flannel pajamas" is a great, new to me, twist on a popular theme.

KansasComet 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It appears Tyshawn Taylor has matured and is now a grown man, making money and is long past his day as a young immature college kid. He has moved on, seems very focused on his career, and still finds time to come back and support KU. Continued success for Tyshawn.

Ralster Jayhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Again, absence of some logic in some of the replies. Keegan not to be bashed, because it is mostly Tyshawn's words, and frankly Keegan and Tyshawn are addressing 1 of the things we may worry about the most with some of KU's NBA kids: will they blow the money and end up broke? Nobody wants to see that happen. Tyshawn is to be commended. I sorely miss the senior-year edition of Tyshawn Taylor. He had that aggressive mentality, that sometimes doesnt just come "on" even if a coach says to be aggressive (Ben, EJ...). Always want to see Tyshawn and other KU kids play well and prosper in the NBA a good length of time. RCJH. Thank you, Tyshawn, for your advice to the younger ones...

Jeffrey Nelson 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Once again Keegan serves us with an absolutely brilliant piece of writing! God we're so lucky to have him!

jgkojak 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Where is the rest of this article? This ends kind of abruptly.

ittyandpace 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I would give that title to Giddens or Giles.

Bryce Landon 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Tyshawn has gone from biggest jackass ever to don the crimson and blue to a grown man with a solid head on his shoulders. Ben should definitely PAY HEED.

jaybate 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"Thoughts with the Outboard Idling"

Tyshawn, learn from the oligarchs and basketball coaches. Never hire one of anything. Always hire two and pit them against each other. Two financial advisors competing based on rate of return each with knowledge of the other, just like a coach with two point guards and always a third coming. Always two lawyers, one reviewing the others work. always two agents, one for certain endorsements, one for others. And clear your wake of mistaken choices. It sends a clear message to those you retain. It's all about competition to serve you. Never one. Always two. And never ever let everyone know all of what you are doing. Next.

How many KU fans still think there won't be blow back from Adidas and Self signing reputed former Nike lean Wiggins?

Wiggins playing international ball was the dumbest idea from Wigs brain trust ever. Compliment he and his parents for seeing through that misguided path; that was risking injury without payback. Represent Canada AFTER the money. From now till his pro contract, the only risks to take are for the Adidas-KU joint venture that apparently yielded the most promising compensation horizon in the apparent Nike-Adidas auction bidding for Wigs that was this past recruiting season's longest deferred outcome. Note: I am not suggesting anything illegal or inappropriate occurred, just business and risk management as usual in the competition for the next great endorsement player.

Wigs, remember the quote from Cole Thornton/John Wayne in El Dorado: "I get paid to risk my neck, so I decide where and when I will do it."

Is summertime still the grand time it once was in a sleepy Midwestern college town, when you talk your parents into a summer term and then take a light load and ski and swim and romance and road trip to the coast? Ah, I hope so!

Santa Barbara is still a great place to idle.

KemDooKU 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I prefer Kate Uptons birthday suit - but that's just me!!!

William Blake 10 months, 2 weeks ago

At least no one mentioned eating crackers in bed.

Oh, #&#$%@! I just mentioned it!

Sorry... carry on...

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe I have the air conditioner set too low but I can't imagine anything negative about Kate Upton in flannel.

Tony Bandle 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Interesting combination of the article's intent to highlight Tyshawn's "professional" growth by describing words as "spilling from his mouth."

P.S. Yes I would be pissed if Kate Upton wore flannel pajamas to bed...I'm allergic to flannel!! Now leather or vinyl....now that would be different!! :)

iamakufan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I like to hear about our guys who have moved on after college and it's always nice to hear when they turn out to be mature professionals. Not every article has to have a lot of meat. This one is a nice, feel-good report on a very nice young man. Thanks for the article.

Jeremy Paul 10 months, 2 weeks ago

If you just do what I do and only read the headline, then like me you'll spend the rest of the day thinking that Tyshawn addressed all the freshmen and told them about his life, about his freshman year, about his immaturity, about his poor decisions, about his butting heads with Coach, and about him sticking with it and playing hard and working to get better and maturing and becoming a leader and now living the dream. And he told them about the vultures and leeches in Lawrence and everywhere who just want a piece of you and to stay away from them. And he told them about the amazing opportunity they have, and that while they might not always agree with Coach or with the system, he is living proof that the system WORKS and don't make the same mistakes he did. And that they were all brothers now because once you're a Jayhawk you're in the family forever. And then he said Rock Chalk and they all clapped.

jhox 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I didn't think it was that bad but, keep in mind, it is golf season. Keegan has more important things to do with his time, this time of year.

bville_hawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Jeeez, you guys would bitch if Kate Upton wore flannel pajamas to bed with you.

Tim Hill 10 months, 2 weeks ago

ok usually I just read these "opinions" by Keegan and let the board rats say what I'm thinking...but REALLY?! One of the worst ones yet...

HawksWin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Good one Overseas. Would have spilled coffee all over had I read it in the morning!

Phil Leister 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Where's the second half of this article?