Thursday, June 13, 2013

Change of heart: Brannen Greene puts on a show at camp

Blue team guard Brannen Greene heads in to the bucket against Red team forward Justin Wesley during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

KU summer scrimmage highlights: June 12

KU summer scrimmage highlights from June 12, 2013. New player numbers: Frank Mason 0; Wayne Selden 1; Brannen Greene 14; Joel Embiid 21; Conner Frankamp 23; Tarik Black 25.

Box score

RED (76)

Tyshawn Taylor 19 points, Sherron Collins 16, Landen Lucas 13, Mario Little 9, Joel Embiid 7, Tyrel Reed 6, Justin Wesley 4, Brady Morningstar 2, Jeff Hawkins 0.

x-BLUE (91)

Brannen Greene 21, Perry Ellis 14, Conner Frankamp 12, Wayne Selden 12, Jamari Traylor 11, Tarik Black 10, Naadir Tharpe 6, Frank Mason 3, Tyler Self 3.

x-Blue actually had 92 points; one free throw was not counted on scoreboard

Threes: Greene 5, Collins 4, Frankamp 4, Taylor 3, Little 3, Reed 2, Tharpe 2, Ellis 2, Selden 2, Embiid 1, Self 1, Traylor 1.

There was a time — not so long ago — when Kansas University freshman Brannen Greene had little in common with the 800 crimson-and-blue-loving youths who watched him erupt for a game-high 21 points in Wednesday’s Bill Self campers game in Horejsi Center.

“It’s funny the way it started off. I used to hate KU, and I know that’s a strong word. I used to hate KU,” Greene said after hitting five threes in the Blue Team’s 91-76 victory over the Red Squad.

“Once the recruiting process started, I looked into the school. When I took my visit, I just fell in love with it,” added the 6-foot-7 small forward from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., who orally committed to KU in December of 2011.

During grade school and into high school — when he was about the same age as the current Self campers — Greene was a rabid supporter of another Big 12 squad.

“I used to like Texas. Texas used to be my favorite team,” Greene said with a smile. “My dad (Jeff, former Pittsburg State standout) has always been a big fan of KU, the way they play for 40 minutes straight at you.

“It was me being young, just wanting to go against my dad, so I would say I hated them,” he added of the Jayhawks. “It actually grew upon me to hate them. Now I love ’em.”

Greene, who averaged 27 points, nine rebounds and six assists a game his senior season, scored 16 points in Wednesday’s 15-minute second half.

He made five threes on a day Blue teammates Conner Frankamp (12 points), Perry Ellis (14 points), Wayne Selden (12 points) and Naadir Tharpe (six) hit four, two, two and two threes respectively.

“It crosses your mind,” Greene said of firing up as many shots as possible when on a hot streak. “Every time you come across halfcourt, you’re thinking, ‘Hey, I might let this go.’ Sometimes you have to know when to pick your spots.”

Greene said he was motivated playing a Red team that included former KU greats Tyshawn Taylor (19 points) and Sherron Collins (16).

“There were definitely bragging rights on the line. Sherron was talking a lot of junk. Brady (Morningstar, two points) was talking a lot of junk. We’ve been hanging out a lot outside the arena, around the dorms. We’ve been talking, so I know the guys pretty well,” Greene said.

Collins — who did not play professionally last season; he’s in the process of getting in shape in hopes of making a push for the NBA or Europe — hit four threes in a losing cause.

Which player impressed Collins the most?

“Conner,” Collins said of Wichita North combo guard Frankamp. “I heard he was really good. I watched a couple videos. To see him up close ... people don’t expect too much. You’ve got some doubters. I think he’s going to be real good.”

Of his own sizzling shooting performance, Frankamp said: “I shot pretty well in warm-ups, so I felt good. I got into a rhythm. I shot open shots. That helps when you can get open shots.

“To be here is awesome. I committed a long time ago (July of 2011). Finally being here is a dream come true. Playing with these great guys is amazing.”

Frankamp said he was impressed with Greene, who can play forward and shooting guard.

“Brannen was on fire. If he keeps shooting like that, we’re going to be tough to beat,” Frankamp said.

Greene couldn’t wait to inform his dad of his performance at Self’s camp.

“I’m pretty sure I’m about to give him a call right now, as soon as I leave,” Greene said. “I’m pretty sure he’ll be excited.”

Taylor impressed: Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets was impressed with KU’s current players: “They are going to be one of the best teams I’ve watched since I’ve been watching college basketball, for sure since I’ve been here. It might be early to say because they are young, but they’ve got a lot of young talent and really good players.”

Highlights: Seven-foot freshman Joel Embiid hit a three, as did 6-8 Jamari Traylor ... Tharpe lobbed to Ellis for an alley-oop slam. ... Red-shirt freshman Landen Lucas dominated the paint en route to 13 points. ... Collins dribbled frantically in the lane, then capped the Harlem Globetrotter-like display by converting off an amazing spin move for a layup. ... Former Memphis center Tarik Black had a vicious dunk ... Frank Mason gave the Blue its first lead off a driving layup, 64-62.

White out: KU sophomore Andrew White did not play because of a sprained left knee. Self said the injury was not serious. .... Andrew Wiggins is not yet in town. Self said Wiggins is completing paperwork before his arrival, which could be Friday.

Roundball Classic tonight: The Rock Chalk Roundball Classic charity basketball game will be at 7 tonight at Free State High. The game will include former KU players, including Collins and Taylor, Ryan Robertson and Scooter Barry, among others.

Comments

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Smooth shot. He is a cold blooded assassin.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I really wish White had been able to play as I believe Greene & AW3 will be competing head to head for a starting position.

This team has an incredible amount of talent just waiting for HCBS to hone into a fine edge...

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm curious as to which position they'll be competing for a starting spot for. Not the 1 - Tharpe, not the 2 - Selden, not the 3 - Wiggins, not the 4 - Perry, and not the 5 - Tarik. Unless you're counting the 6th man as a starting position, I think you're being silly.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Competing for PT, but not likely the start.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I think dagger108 is probably correct. White could play at the 2 & 3, Greene 3 & 4 if forced to pigeonhole their positions. PT>starting imo.

I think we will play small, tall and any combo that works. I've never liked defining players to a specific position. The best PG in NBA history played center his rookie year beating the 76ers in 1980. Jordan couldn't do that but Lebron...maybe.

VancouverHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

My first thought when I saw just the first part of the headline was "Oh no! Brannen Greene is leaving!".

Its hard not to be excited about these guys. Unfortunately, it looks like some very talented guys are going to have a hard time getting playing time. We've got some serious (if inexperienced) talent.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Me too. I hate when the writers lead off with those statements.

If they are patient, they will all play key roles over the next two years.

shoedee 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey VancouverHawk,

Do you live in Vancouver BC? I'm getting ready to move up to Canada, after having spent most of my life within 3 hours of Lawrence. I'm wondering about any tricks to accessing Jayhawk Basketball in hockey country. If you are in BC and have any tips, let me know. Thanks!

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

I travel to Canada on business. You will evidently need to get some type of sports package. I had to go to a sports bar to get the games. As an example, even though they have ESPN, I was unable to watch the Kentucky / Duke or KU / MSU game in November. But with a sports package, you should be OK.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, I should have said I was unable to watch the KU / MSU game on ESPN in my hotel. A sports bar, I'm sure would have been able to get it. I was able to watch the KU / OSU 3 OT thriller in a sports bar and I'm sure you can purchase an adequate sports package.

VancouverHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes I live in Vancouver BC. I love it here (except for the price of real estate). The best advice as, Hawk 8060 suggests, is to get a sports package. But you can get all the games on line free as well (First Row sports). Since I'm near Seattle, the basic cable package here also comes with some Seattle channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) so you can watch March Madness the usual way.

We convinced a local sports bar to show the NC game in 2012. Not usually a problem as long as there's no hockey game on at the same time.

As you know, basketball takes a back seat here to Hockey (among other sports) and college sports in general aren't a big deal (when KU was in Vancouver to play UBC an exhibition game during one of Simien's years, more KU fans showed up than local UBC fans).

But one of the good things about Wiggins going to KU is that KU will get more national media attention here in Canada. They always talk about the Canadian players (e.g, they often talked about Kabongo at Texas and Olynyk at Gonzaga). But Wiggins is big news. So I'm hoping KU gets more attention here for that reason.

shoedee 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks for the tips Hawk8060 and VancouverHawk. I'm stoked about moving to the NW, but not stoked about being so far away from the Fieldhouse and not stoked about real estate prices in BC. It gives me hope though that I will have some kind of access to Jayhawk basketball. If you guys know about any gathering places where Jayhawk fans gather for game days in BC, let me know.

Jonny Swift 1 year, 2 months ago

Jeez...deepest team in the country right here. Some serious scoring potential, so many dangerous weapons. Down low with Ellis, Traylor, Black, Embiid, and Lucas, Wiggins, White, and Greene on the wing, and Tharpe, Selden, Frankamp, and Mason on the perimeter. All of those guys will warrant some serious minutes (with the exception of maybe Mason). Give or take a few minutes, I see Tharpe, Ellis, Wiggins, and Selden averaging around 25 minutes, Black getting around 20, Traylor, Embiid, White, and Greene getting around 15, and Frankamp and Lucas around 10 each, with Mason getting a few here and there like Rio did last year. I can see a lot of games with 5 or so guys in double digit scoring, with the scoring spread around more like the '08 team. Self might have to deviate away from his 8 or so man rotation that he prefers this year, not only because he has so much talent that warrants playing time, but because most of our players are inexperienced and might make more mistakes/be less consistent.

The great news is if Wiggins or Ellis or Selden or any of our go-to scorers are having an off night or in foul trouble or whatever, we have SO much scoring punch off the bench. I see Greene and Frankamp being prolific scorers throughout the course of their (hopefully) long KU careers, Black and Lucas are big and strong down low, perfect for Self's high-low if we need to pound the ball inside, White stroking it from the outside, Mason with dribble drive creation, and Traylor with a MUCH improved offensive game.

It's so hard not to get your expectations up with this team, especially after seeing the highlights from this game!

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

SuperHairyHawk,

Conner Frankamp will not be easy to leave on the bench. He can flat out ball. I love is his confidence and his court presence. It remains to be seen on what will happen with Lucas. I think he will be a really good player for us this season.

Jonny Swift 1 year, 2 months ago

No doubt about it, both of them will be great Jayhawks and will contribute a lot this season. However, let's project Ellis and Black as the starters with the most minutes in the post. They are both gonna get over 20 minutes if they keep playing like that. Traylor played well in limited minutes last year, is going into his 3rd year in the program, and has obviously improved a lot and warrants playing time, and Embiid is obviously gonna get some decent minutes as the #1 C in the recruiting class that's only gonna be in Lawrence for 1-2 years. How often does Self run a 5 man post rotation? Lucas has a year in the program and has improved a lot as well, but he's still a freshman behind a lot of other talented big bodies, which is why I projected him around 10. Who knows, maybe he gets around 15 and Embiid or Traylor are around 10, or Black doesn't get as many minutes. We will have to wait and see.

As for Frankamp, he is definitely a great shooter and super confident, but he is a 6' SG in Bill Self's system. Will he be able to play the kind of defense needed to warrant being in the game for big minutes? If he's hot, you gotta leave him in and let him do his thing, but if you leave him in too long he could definitely be a liability on the defensive end. It seems like Self would like to see him play some PG too, and you know how he is with freshman guards - on a very short leash.

I wish they could all get 30 mpg and average 15 ppg! No matter what, I am confident that all 12 of the players I expect to get decent minutes this season will leave their mark on the KU program and make an impact sometime in their career at KU, if not next year.

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankamp will surprise this season. He is a lot more than just a shooter. I believe he can run the offense and create for others. I believe his defense will be solid. My take on Black is a little bit different. I don't think he will start or get 20 minutes. I think he will be a solid rebounder for us. I believe he serves a purpose for us should we go up against a player like Julius Randle or the 21 year old Sophomore to be Mitch McGary.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 2 months ago

And Kentucky . . . 10 MCD players. I want to play them so bad!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually only 8 McD AAs and a projected lottery pick in 2014 (Cauley-Stein)

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

We can have just as many 5 star players on the court as Kensucky.. I might have misspoke and...Wiggens, Embiid, Ellis, Selden and ??

Still damn impressive.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I really like Black's physical play. He's tough and has a bit of an attitude. I believe his maturity will dampen his emotions. He's a big dude too at 6-9. The really good thing is we have plenty of bigs to go around if anyone gets into foul trouble. Self can rest a bit better each game when the refs get happy with the whistle.

hawk316 1 year, 2 months ago

Our SECOND team...comprised of whomever, we shall see...might dominate most other teams. Yes, this is going to be a very special group.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe..I see a possible 4-5 players leaving next year. It takes time to be special. Calipari did it once in one year then failed miserably last year..this year could be another KU-UK final. I don't want to be Kentucky

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

This team has a chance to be special. We are strong on the inside with defense and scoring. We got guards with jets to lead the fast break. Lots of transition buckets off blocked shots and rebound. The guards that don't have jets, are tremendous 3 point shooters. We can play small and we can play tall. Bill Self has so many options this season. When we have foul trouble, it should be "next man up". There should not be a huge drop off when going to the bench. I hope that Coach Self does not shorten the bench and plays 10 players this year, hopefully to keep everybody fresh. Probably won't happen though. Maybe this will be the year that we see 5 in/5 out, not as a disciplinary move like Roy, but to run our opponents into the ground, while resting all five of our starters. This has been a great off season, for KU fans anyway!

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

Those who are willing and able to play defense will get game minutes. Otherwise, they will be cheering from the bench.

KANSTUCKY 1 year, 2 months ago

I would have given anything for an ounce of offense at the end of our last game. We need big time players that make big time plays when it matters. Tyshawn and Sherron both fit that mold. Point plankin.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I've never doubted Frankamp had the offensive skills to contribute right away, but to hear Sherron and Tyshawn talk about him (Tyshawn was gushing about him in a Star article this morning) makes me think he may be even better than I thought (and I knew he was very good). Let's hope he can defend well enough to see the court this year. I also figured Greene would eventually be a really good player for us, but it looks like he may be hard to keep off the court this year, as well.

Too bad the game isn't played with more than one ball, because this group is loaded with guys who can score. Unfortunately, only one guy can shoot it at a time.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

I love this quote by Taylor:

“That Frankamp,” Taylor said. “He’s one of the best that I’ve seen. I’ve played with a bunch of good shooters, and he’s one of the best I’ve seen.”

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

No wonder Self was ok with shortening the shot clock.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope they don't ever shorten it again. Scoring was higher before it was shortened to 35 in '93.

Short clock = more bad shots. I'm probably in the minority CaliHawk but I can hope.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankamp will play a bit. I think he'll play a Reed type role, only a bit better. His shooting eye is deadly. I think Self should have set plays around Greene and Frankamp. I really think Frankamp will go the distance in college and only get better over the next 2-3 yrs.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I think that's a fair assessment. Both players are highly skilled and have incredible work ethics but not explosive (apologies for this overused word) or as athletic as many of their teammates.

But I think Connor will have a greater impact in his freshman year. Like Tyrel, he plays under control, a good thing to do on a Bill Self team, and will get quality minutes this year.

When you look at Connor's senior season where he averaged a little over 31 points per game (and yes HEM - I know it wasn't against Division I talent), his play for US basketball and Kansas City Run GMC, I can't see him spending the majority of his freshman year sitting on the bench.

If and that's a BIG if - he can play solid defense I would not be surprised if he was our premier perimeter shotmaker. Maybe an overly bold statement but time will tell if I'm correct or overindulging in legal hallucinogens.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

I think he's an undersized Kirk Hinrich. Lots of people doubting him, but the coach's kid is just too good to hold back.

It also doesn't hurt that he does realize that PT will come down to D. How many kids have you ever heard comment that the thing they were working on for the summer was their lateral quickness?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Solid analysis. Connor seems to play under control which will help keep him on the court. Plus he can play the point at times if needed.

Any comparison to Kirk says a lot.

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

If Greene and Frankamp keep playing like this, Andrew White might not play any more than he did last season.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

There’s the redshirt. Hate to say it cuz I like him a lot. But there is no way he sees significant minutes this year. Not unless he becomes Travis Releford, defensively. Greene is too good, and he’ll be backing up Wigs.

How do you find minutes for three small forwards on a Self team that traditionally plays about 8 guys? This team could play 10 deep and White wouldn’t see the floor. Hell, Greene will hardly see the floor with Wiggins in there.

If they are all as good as advertised it will be Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis and Embiid playing a ton of minutes. Mason, Frankamp, Greene, Lucas and Black will take nearly every other minute. I don’t think White gets a shot in edgewise.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I totally agree and nothing against the guys at all. They are great players, but White and Mason should RS. I think it would help White and give Mason time to get used to the level too. Frankamp might, might be my next cadidate. I would love to have any one of these guys around for an extra year down the road.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Greene can interchange with both Wigs and Selden. Frankamp can back up both Selden and Tharpe. Wigs can play the 4 and Perry the five if we want to go small and have deadly shooters out there late in games that we're behind (which won't be many come March).

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 2 months ago

I perfer the "BIG Lineup" with Seldon at the point, Wig 2, Ellis 3, Black 4, Embiid 5.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Not when there's two minutes left and we are down by 10 you won't.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I REALLY hate to say it but didn't Milton Doyle stay with the team 'til the Europe trip or right after and then see the writing on the wall that playing time was going to be hard to come by?

I could see the same thing for A. White III this year.

AGAIN, I STILL think it would be smart for him to redshirt. Wouldn't have a Wiggins limiting your minutes as much the following year.

Maybe if redshirted could get down the defensive & ballhandling weaknesses we saw with him last year.

I'd rather not see him transfer or be limited to no more than what he was able to contribute last year. I think in the future he'll be able to offer more than that.

archercc 1 year, 2 months ago

The challenge I always see with these guys is its such a trade off. If youre impatient and want minutes now or think you might not ever get minutes I can see you jumping ship but, lets be honest, you're probably not going to end up on another NC caliber squad. You may not have access to the level of coaching or strength training that would get you into the NBA off of development.

It just seems like such a risky prop compared to the option that guys like Releford took advantage of.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

White is a great kid. I think he has a great attitude and would be willing to compromise a bit. Again, this team is not selfish. They all have great attitudes. They seem to be team first oriented. White would be around for another year too. He'd get plenty of playing time.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

The factor in AWIII's camp over some of the others is that like RussRob, he has the strong father influence that is likely to tell him to suck it up, grow through the experience and become better in the best program in the land.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 2 months ago

"Brady was talking a lot of junk" (two points) might be the unintentionally funniest thing I've read about KU basketball in a long time.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Equation of the day - [Sprained Knee + Branden Greene + Multiple 3 point threats] x Andrew Wiggins = Red Shirt for AW3.

Count on it!!

I totally understand his taking up an opposite stance from his dad. Growing up, my Dad loved broccoli so I took a stand and decided to hate it. However, this is where it changes. I still love my 90 year old plus Dad...and I still hate broccoli!!

OH, BY THE WAY, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU DAD'S OUT THERE...PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE!!

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I totally agree and have always thought AWIII should RS after watching him last year.

Happy Father's Day to you too Oak.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

According to my calculations, that equation is null. The second coefficient is spelled wrong, bringing about an error code on my Rock Chalk calculator.

LOL, it's Brannen Greene!

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

All good points, but it can be hard to project the future based on scrimmages. Yes, Frankamp's and Greene's performances are potential indicators, but we don't know how they will do when it comes time to play defense (which everyone has noted). Plus, White didn't even play due to injury.........we don't know how he would have done. The other consideration is how guys execute the offense. This was a scrimmage.....not nearly as demanding / regimented as executing the offense. Do any of my fellow old-timers remember Brad Sanders? Great in scrimmages, but that didn't always translate into great games. Certainly good to see Frankamp and Greene shoot well, but let's not draw too many conclusions.

Mick Allen 1 year, 2 months ago

Colonel Sanders, out of Leavenworth High. A catch and shoot guy, that had little lateral quickness that presented match up problems on defense. Played to not make a mistake, rather than to make a play.Both Reed and Morningstar were more complete players.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Terrific passion here .. but guys, this was a scrimmage. You know, the kind where there's not a lot of defense. Where they kind of free lance it. Where there could have been some loud guy with a microphone calling the play by play.

I would not jump to any conclusions about rotations, playing time, transfers, etc., based on this scrimmage. To better illustrate the point, don't you think Andrew White could have hit the same shots that Brannen Greene did yesterday? Right .. he did .. in Europe last season .. in exhibition games. And that ended up meaning squat.

Regardless, the shooting seems to be amazing. Goes to the points of discussion a few months ago about whether we'll continue to be a "feed the post" team, or more perimeter based because of the nature of our incoming talent. Maybe playing small with a 6'6" guy like Greene or White at the 4. I hope that's in the cards.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Leave it to HEM. Let's enjoy this scrimmage. It's okay to have fun HEM. Yes, you're right. It's way early, but I saw a lot of great chemistry too.

I will challenge you a bit about AWIII. I love AWIII. I just didn't see a lot of consistency. He had a flash or two, but I really think a RS would do him wonders, much like Rel.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

Point taken, HEM, but the comments made by Taylor and Collins do carry some weight with me. These guys are competitors and I like to think it takes one to really know one. But I do absolutely agree that it is hard to take much from a scrimmage setting. I am basing my own enthusiasm on Taylor and Collins' comments, not on stats from the scrimmage. Those guys have played against elite college and pro players, and for them to both be gushing over an undersized incoming freshman guard seems to me to be somewhat telling of what we might be able to expect.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

LOL- Collins looked winded. I loved his vocal attitude on the court. He was talking it up to the frosh. He was giving them much of what they'll get against opponents.

Good grief what is wrong with Collins and that weight. He just can't seem to control it. Is he on medication?

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

He has dropped a lot of weight since being in Lawrence. He's working with Hudy to reconstruct his body and try for a comeback (his last, I suppose).

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with HEM's post, but no way am I letting him kick me in the peanuts!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 2 months ago

No, no, no, no. Self always leans big per my comment above. Selden (6'5") at the point, Wig (6'7"), Ellis (6'8"), Black (6'9") and Embiid (7'0").

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree..HCBS can make so many adjustments w/this team. Being able to play small, large or whatever is needed. Someone has a cold shooting night, bring instant firepower off the bench.

Self will need to manage egos. He cannot be their friends (which I believe to be a weakness of Calamari) w/this group but I don't think that has ever been a problem for him.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

+1 Hawk. - let's put a little damper on expectations until they play against other teams who want to beat your brains in.

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

At this point and time all we have is each other's comments and speculation. So why not enjoy it? Some comments will be spot on, others will be way off, and some kind of in the middle. It's just something to pass the time in the offseason.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 2 months ago

That's the right attitude. Self is letting the kids show off their talents and have fun. Boot camp awaits. (shudder)

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Love Love Love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good guys. Keep the focus.

Did I see Mr Traylor stroking the jump shot? I believe #31 was put up a few 15 footers. Ellis' stroke looked. Love Mr Black's aggressive play. I want Black and Lucas to bang in practice. I was talking to an OSU fan here in OKC and they are putting all their eggs in the Smart basket. They think a juco transfer and some pg from Douglas HS in OKC is going to be their featured three. They really believe the B12 just might be theirs. They are focused solely on a conf championship. They also think a NC just might be in their future.

So many Hawks are flying under the radar. Black, Frankamp, Greene, White, Tharpe, and Selden. Opponents are focused on who we lost rather than who we've gained, except maybe Wiggins. I really think the B12 is up for a rude awakening with KU bball.

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice to read about Sherron. I hope he gets in shape and turns his career around, maybe make it big overseas like Langford.

KJD 1 year, 2 months ago

The name "Scooter Barry" still sends chills of pain and agony down the spine of K-State fans!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Quarter century! You rock KJD. Most peeps probably don't even know what you're talking about, and some that even watched the game. Just one point that Larry showed his genius, tho obviously Scooter had plenty to do with it also.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 2 months ago

I wish we could watch practices. The scrimmages with this crew will be something else.
Bring on Late Night!

Robin Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey, why isn't there coverage of things like this? I would watch this scrimmage.

GabrielMichael 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey what about the big kid from Arkansas? Is he on campus yet?

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, they can afford to spend more time on defense than they did on offense, but if you remember last season HCBS focused solely on defense before the Euro trip and when the season started the offense was pretty stagnant.

I don't have much else to say other than I can't wait for this season!

joeloveshawks 1 year, 2 months ago

Can't say I love the title of the article as I thought Greene was transferring. I can say that I am thrilled that we are getting mid summer articles on how the new guys are looking. Huge compliments from Taylor and Collins on Frankamp. One guy one a title and the other guy played for one. Hard to imagine how much more they know about good shooters than any of us do.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

FrankNBeans is truly the wild card in this mix of players.

There may be a little hot dog in him but he can sure put the mustard on his shot, something we can all relish and when we are behind and need to ketchup. he will get us out of a pickle. He mayo be small but he won't sit around on his buns feeling sad, because he knows he can go out and pepper the basket with all kinds of shots. He will proudly wear Kansas on his chest and adidas on his onionwear.

HMMM...for some reason I am strangely hungry.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Elegant wiener metaphor.

Maybe the first ever.

Posting raised beyond a footlong.

:-)

kufaninmo 1 year, 2 months ago

An extremely fine line between love and hate, it's when their indifferent about something is when it's clear how they feel.

-Some smart dude at some point in time

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't count AW3 out yet.

He was gawky last season, but a year of physical maturity could turn him into a player.

This season will be all about finding the three starters that enable The Designer and Wiggins best, plus 2 that spell The Designer and Wiggins, plus 2 to spell the enablers.

This means the guys that guard, stretch the D from 3, protect, and can make the lob and pass to the big two play most. Until D1 speed starts, nothing is written concerning which guys can do these things best. Eye tests and one dimensional excellence will once again mislead about who will finally comprise the rotation.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

Jay, Agreed. Good point, but Tharpe as a starter is a given.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Lots of people have inked Naadir's name in the starting line-up, and I'm guessing it starts that way because Coach Self treats experience like his security blank. Even had an article a couple years ago where he talked about it. That being said, Coach uses a pencil.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Naa seems a lock, but what if he shoots 36% from trey, struggles defensively without great defenders on both wings, can't gamble and overplay on defense because there is no Block Party behind him, and both starting wings can only make 38% from trey?

Self might have to make a tough call.

Self could keep Naa and sit Selden and start a trifectate to stretch it for Wiggins, or...

Self could sit Naa and start Connor to get a trifectate in, or...

Self could sit Naa for Mason, if Mason's D and get to the rim game were better.

What will cement Naa as the Starting point is Selden shooting 40% plus from trey, and/or Naa shooting 38-40% from trey, while staying in front of his man.

But is either likely?

Naa will start from the beginning.

But he needs Selden's help to keep starting.

DanR 1 year, 2 months ago

I counted ten assists by Tharpe in that highlight video.

Fun to watch these new guys in KU gear--Selden looks great, and he seems to be clicking with Tharpe already. Frankamp looks very comfortable as did Mason. Greene took a bunch of shots he'll never take in a real game (Self will let him know when to take those shots!). Embiid actually looks a little lost and a half step behind, but he'll adjust to the speed of the game in time.