Thursday, June 13, 2013

Change of heart: Brannen Greene puts on a show at camp

Blue team guard Brannen Greene heads in to the bucket against Red team forward Justin Wesley during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

KU summer scrimmage highlights: June 12

KU summer scrimmage highlights from June 12, 2013. New player numbers: Frank Mason 0; Wayne Selden 1; Brannen Greene 14; Joel Embiid 21; Conner Frankamp 23; Tarik Black 25.

Box score

RED (76)

Tyshawn Taylor 19 points, Sherron Collins 16, Landen Lucas 13, Mario Little 9, Joel Embiid 7, Tyrel Reed 6, Justin Wesley 4, Brady Morningstar 2, Jeff Hawkins 0.

x-BLUE (91)

Brannen Greene 21, Perry Ellis 14, Conner Frankamp 12, Wayne Selden 12, Jamari Traylor 11, Tarik Black 10, Naadir Tharpe 6, Frank Mason 3, Tyler Self 3.

x-Blue actually had 92 points; one free throw was not counted on scoreboard

Threes: Greene 5, Collins 4, Frankamp 4, Taylor 3, Little 3, Reed 2, Tharpe 2, Ellis 2, Selden 2, Embiid 1, Self 1, Traylor 1.

There was a time — not so long ago — when Kansas University freshman Brannen Greene had little in common with the 800 crimson-and-blue-loving youths who watched him erupt for a game-high 21 points in Wednesday’s Bill Self campers game in Horejsi Center.

“It’s funny the way it started off. I used to hate KU, and I know that’s a strong word. I used to hate KU,” Greene said after hitting five threes in the Blue Team’s 91-76 victory over the Red Squad.

“Once the recruiting process started, I looked into the school. When I took my visit, I just fell in love with it,” added the 6-foot-7 small forward from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., who orally committed to KU in December of 2011.

During grade school and into high school — when he was about the same age as the current Self campers — Greene was a rabid supporter of another Big 12 squad.

“I used to like Texas. Texas used to be my favorite team,” Greene said with a smile. “My dad (Jeff, former Pittsburg State standout) has always been a big fan of KU, the way they play for 40 minutes straight at you.

“It was me being young, just wanting to go against my dad, so I would say I hated them,” he added of the Jayhawks. “It actually grew upon me to hate them. Now I love ’em.”

Greene, who averaged 27 points, nine rebounds and six assists a game his senior season, scored 16 points in Wednesday’s 15-minute second half.

He made five threes on a day Blue teammates Conner Frankamp (12 points), Perry Ellis (14 points), Wayne Selden (12 points) and Naadir Tharpe (six) hit four, two, two and two threes respectively.

“It crosses your mind,” Greene said of firing up as many shots as possible when on a hot streak. “Every time you come across halfcourt, you’re thinking, ‘Hey, I might let this go.’ Sometimes you have to know when to pick your spots.”

Greene said he was motivated playing a Red team that included former KU greats Tyshawn Taylor (19 points) and Sherron Collins (16).

“There were definitely bragging rights on the line. Sherron was talking a lot of junk. Brady (Morningstar, two points) was talking a lot of junk. We’ve been hanging out a lot outside the arena, around the dorms. We’ve been talking, so I know the guys pretty well,” Greene said.

Collins — who did not play professionally last season; he’s in the process of getting in shape in hopes of making a push for the NBA or Europe — hit four threes in a losing cause.

Which player impressed Collins the most?

“Conner,” Collins said of Wichita North combo guard Frankamp. “I heard he was really good. I watched a couple videos. To see him up close ... people don’t expect too much. You’ve got some doubters. I think he’s going to be real good.”

Of his own sizzling shooting performance, Frankamp said: “I shot pretty well in warm-ups, so I felt good. I got into a rhythm. I shot open shots. That helps when you can get open shots.

“To be here is awesome. I committed a long time ago (July of 2011). Finally being here is a dream come true. Playing with these great guys is amazing.”

Frankamp said he was impressed with Greene, who can play forward and shooting guard.

“Brannen was on fire. If he keeps shooting like that, we’re going to be tough to beat,” Frankamp said.

Greene couldn’t wait to inform his dad of his performance at Self’s camp.

“I’m pretty sure I’m about to give him a call right now, as soon as I leave,” Greene said. “I’m pretty sure he’ll be excited.”

Taylor impressed: Tyshawn Taylor of the Brooklyn Nets was impressed with KU’s current players: “They are going to be one of the best teams I’ve watched since I’ve been watching college basketball, for sure since I’ve been here. It might be early to say because they are young, but they’ve got a lot of young talent and really good players.”

Highlights: Seven-foot freshman Joel Embiid hit a three, as did 6-8 Jamari Traylor ... Tharpe lobbed to Ellis for an alley-oop slam. ... Red-shirt freshman Landen Lucas dominated the paint en route to 13 points. ... Collins dribbled frantically in the lane, then capped the Harlem Globetrotter-like display by converting off an amazing spin move for a layup. ... Former Memphis center Tarik Black had a vicious dunk ... Frank Mason gave the Blue its first lead off a driving layup, 64-62.

White out: KU sophomore Andrew White did not play because of a sprained left knee. Self said the injury was not serious. .... Andrew Wiggins is not yet in town. Self said Wiggins is completing paperwork before his arrival, which could be Friday.

Roundball Classic tonight: The Rock Chalk Roundball Classic charity basketball game will be at 7 tonight at Free State High. The game will include former KU players, including Collins and Taylor, Ryan Robertson and Scooter Barry, among others.

Comments

DanR 10 months, 1 week ago

I counted ten assists by Tharpe in that highlight video.

Fun to watch these new guys in KU gear--Selden looks great, and he seems to be clicking with Tharpe already. Frankamp looks very comfortable as did Mason. Greene took a bunch of shots he'll never take in a real game (Self will let him know when to take those shots!). Embiid actually looks a little lost and a half step behind, but he'll adjust to the speed of the game in time.

jaybate 10 months, 1 week ago

Don't count AW3 out yet.

He was gawky last season, but a year of physical maturity could turn him into a player.

This season will be all about finding the three starters that enable The Designer and Wiggins best, plus 2 that spell The Designer and Wiggins, plus 2 to spell the enablers.

This means the guys that guard, stretch the D from 3, protect, and can make the lob and pass to the big two play most. Until D1 speed starts, nothing is written concerning which guys can do these things best. Eye tests and one dimensional excellence will once again mislead about who will finally comprise the rotation.

kufaninmo 10 months, 1 week ago

An extremely fine line between love and hate, it's when their indifferent about something is when it's clear how they feel.

-Some smart dude at some point in time

Tony Bandle 10 months, 1 week ago

FrankNBeans is truly the wild card in this mix of players.

There may be a little hot dog in him but he can sure put the mustard on his shot, something we can all relish and when we are behind and need to ketchup. he will get us out of a pickle. He mayo be small but he won't sit around on his buns feeling sad, because he knows he can go out and pepper the basket with all kinds of shots. He will proudly wear Kansas on his chest and adidas on his onionwear.

HMMM...for some reason I am strangely hungry.

joeloveshawks 10 months, 1 week ago

Can't say I love the title of the article as I thought Greene was transferring. I can say that I am thrilled that we are getting mid summer articles on how the new guys are looking. Huge compliments from Taylor and Collins on Frankamp. One guy one a title and the other guy played for one. Hard to imagine how much more they know about good shooters than any of us do.

William Blake 10 months, 1 week ago

This is the most-technique correct group of young players (on offense) CS has recruited in his lifetime (IMO).

I'm amazed at watching these young guys stroke the ball so well.

Hopefully, this means more time and energy can be put on developing their defensive potential. That is an area always needing plenty of work for freshmen coming in.

I'll be watching for comments coming out of camp concerning their defensive abilities.

GabrielMichael 10 months, 1 week ago

Hey what about the big kid from Arkansas? Is he on campus yet?

Kyle Neuer 10 months, 1 week ago

I wish we could watch practices. The scrimmages with this crew will be something else.
Bring on Late Night!

KJD 10 months, 1 week ago

The name "Scooter Barry" still sends chills of pain and agony down the spine of K-State fans!

Andrew Horigan 10 months, 1 week ago

Nice to read about Sherron. I hope he gets in shape and turns his career around, maybe make it big overseas like Langford.

Joe Baker 10 months, 1 week ago

Love Love Love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good guys. Keep the focus.

Did I see Mr Traylor stroking the jump shot? I believe #31 was put up a few 15 footers. Ellis' stroke looked. Love Mr Black's aggressive play. I want Black and Lucas to bang in practice. I was talking to an OSU fan here in OKC and they are putting all their eggs in the Smart basket. They think a juco transfer and some pg from Douglas HS in OKC is going to be their featured three. They really believe the B12 just might be theirs. They are focused solely on a conf championship. They also think a NC just might be in their future.

So many Hawks are flying under the radar. Black, Frankamp, Greene, White, Tharpe, and Selden. Opponents are focused on who we lost rather than who we've gained, except maybe Wiggins. I really think the B12 is up for a rude awakening with KU bball.

KansasComet 10 months, 1 week ago

At this point and time all we have is each other's comments and speculation. So why not enjoy it? Some comments will be spot on, others will be way off, and some kind of in the middle. It's just something to pass the time in the offseason.

KemDooKU 10 months, 1 week ago

+1 Hawk. - let's put a little damper on expectations until they play against other teams who want to beat your brains in.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Terrific passion here .. but guys, this was a scrimmage. You know, the kind where there's not a lot of defense. Where they kind of free lance it. Where there could have been some loud guy with a microphone calling the play by play.

I would not jump to any conclusions about rotations, playing time, transfers, etc., based on this scrimmage. To better illustrate the point, don't you think Andrew White could have hit the same shots that Brannen Greene did yesterday? Right .. he did .. in Europe last season .. in exhibition games. And that ended up meaning squat.

Regardless, the shooting seems to be amazing. Goes to the points of discussion a few months ago about whether we'll continue to be a "feed the post" team, or more perimeter based because of the nature of our incoming talent. Maybe playing small with a 6'6" guy like Greene or White at the 4. I hope that's in the cards.

Hawk8086 10 months, 1 week ago

All good points, but it can be hard to project the future based on scrimmages. Yes, Frankamp's and Greene's performances are potential indicators, but we don't know how they will do when it comes time to play defense (which everyone has noted). Plus, White didn't even play due to injury.........we don't know how he would have done. The other consideration is how guys execute the offense. This was a scrimmage.....not nearly as demanding / regimented as executing the offense. Do any of my fellow old-timers remember Brad Sanders? Great in scrimmages, but that didn't always translate into great games. Certainly good to see Frankamp and Greene shoot well, but let's not draw too many conclusions.

Tony Bandle 10 months, 1 week ago

Equation of the day - [Sprained Knee + Branden Greene + Multiple 3 point threats] x Andrew Wiggins = Red Shirt for AW3.

Count on it!!

I totally understand his taking up an opposite stance from his dad. Growing up, my Dad loved broccoli so I took a stand and decided to hate it. However, this is where it changes. I still love my 90 year old plus Dad...and I still hate broccoli!!

OH, BY THE WAY, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU DAD'S OUT THERE...PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE!!

Jeff Kilgore 10 months, 1 week ago

"Brady was talking a lot of junk" (two points) might be the unintentionally funniest thing I've read about KU basketball in a long time.

Kevin Huffman 10 months, 1 week ago

I REALLY hate to say it but didn't Milton Doyle stay with the team 'til the Europe trip or right after and then see the writing on the wall that playing time was going to be hard to come by?

I could see the same thing for A. White III this year.

AGAIN, I STILL think it would be smart for him to redshirt. Wouldn't have a Wiggins limiting your minutes as much the following year.

Maybe if redshirted could get down the defensive & ballhandling weaknesses we saw with him last year.

I'd rather not see him transfer or be limited to no more than what he was able to contribute last year. I think in the future he'll be able to offer more than that.

Boouk 10 months, 1 week ago

If Greene and Frankamp keep playing like this, Andrew White might not play any more than he did last season.

jhox 10 months, 1 week ago

I've never doubted Frankamp had the offensive skills to contribute right away, but to hear Sherron and Tyshawn talk about him (Tyshawn was gushing about him in a Star article this morning) makes me think he may be even better than I thought (and I knew he was very good). Let's hope he can defend well enough to see the court this year. I also figured Greene would eventually be a really good player for us, but it looks like he may be hard to keep off the court this year, as well.

Too bad the game isn't played with more than one ball, because this group is loaded with guys who can score. Unfortunately, only one guy can shoot it at a time.

KansasComet 10 months, 1 week ago

This team has a chance to be special. We are strong on the inside with defense and scoring. We got guards with jets to lead the fast break. Lots of transition buckets off blocked shots and rebound. The guards that don't have jets, are tremendous 3 point shooters. We can play small and we can play tall. Bill Self has so many options this season. When we have foul trouble, it should be "next man up". There should not be a huge drop off when going to the bench. I hope that Coach Self does not shorten the bench and plays 10 players this year, hopefully to keep everybody fresh. Probably won't happen though. Maybe this will be the year that we see 5 in/5 out, not as a disciplinary move like Roy, but to run our opponents into the ground, while resting all five of our starters. This has been a great off season, for KU fans anyway!

Jonny Swift 10 months, 1 week ago

Jeez...deepest team in the country right here. Some serious scoring potential, so many dangerous weapons. Down low with Ellis, Traylor, Black, Embiid, and Lucas, Wiggins, White, and Greene on the wing, and Tharpe, Selden, Frankamp, and Mason on the perimeter. All of those guys will warrant some serious minutes (with the exception of maybe Mason). Give or take a few minutes, I see Tharpe, Ellis, Wiggins, and Selden averaging around 25 minutes, Black getting around 20, Traylor, Embiid, White, and Greene getting around 15, and Frankamp and Lucas around 10 each, with Mason getting a few here and there like Rio did last year. I can see a lot of games with 5 or so guys in double digit scoring, with the scoring spread around more like the '08 team. Self might have to deviate away from his 8 or so man rotation that he prefers this year, not only because he has so much talent that warrants playing time, but because most of our players are inexperienced and might make more mistakes/be less consistent.

The great news is if Wiggins or Ellis or Selden or any of our go-to scorers are having an off night or in foul trouble or whatever, we have SO much scoring punch off the bench. I see Greene and Frankamp being prolific scorers throughout the course of their (hopefully) long KU careers, Black and Lucas are big and strong down low, perfect for Self's high-low if we need to pound the ball inside, White stroking it from the outside, Mason with dribble drive creation, and Traylor with a MUCH improved offensive game.

It's so hard not to get your expectations up with this team, especially after seeing the highlights from this game!

VancouverHawk 10 months, 1 week ago

My first thought when I saw just the first part of the headline was "Oh no! Brannen Greene is leaving!".

Its hard not to be excited about these guys. Unfortunately, it looks like some very talented guys are going to have a hard time getting playing time. We've got some serious (if inexperienced) talent.