Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Perry Ellis, now a KU veteran, aims to build on freshman finish

Kansas University forward Perry Ellis waves to a gathering of basketball campers after giving a pep talk about work ethic and maintaining good grades during Bill Self’s basketball camp, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, at the Horejsi Center.

Kansas University sophomore forward Perry Ellis reminisced about his years in elementary school, Tuesday at Bill Self’s Basketball Camp in Horejsi Center.

Kansas sophomore forward Perry Ellis talks about playing with Conner Frankamp and getting teased about losing his Wichita scoring title to the freshman during an interview on June 11, 2013.

“I remember growing up trying to figure out what I wanted to do. When I was your age, I was better at track, actually,” the 6-foot-8, 220-pound Wichita native said, speaking to 800 attentive campers. “I ran the 200, the 4 x 1 (relay), the long jump. Then sixth grade came along and I started getting a little taller.

“I started playing a lot of basketball. I remember in middle school getting up in the morning and going with a lot of friends to the YMCA. We’d pack lunches and play basketball all day, until our parents got off work and we got picked up,” Ellis added.

The quick-developing Ellis, who first dunked the basketball in seventh grade, started to receive letters from major-college coaches in eighth grade. He wound up leading Wichita Heights to four state titles, and as the country’s No. 24-rated player, made the McDonald’s All-America game and accepted a scholarship offer to KU.

He didn’t disappoint as a college freshman, averaging 5.8 points (off 47.5 percent shooting) and 3.9 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game. He saved his best for the end of the season, burning Iowa State for 23 points in the Big 12 postseason tournament while being named to the all-tournament team.

“It definitely did push my confidence up at the time,” Ellis said of productive late-season play. “It showed me I can do this if I put my mind to it. I really was not worrying about it like I was before.

“Practice is where I was starting to play and do a lot of things better. In practice I try to focus on playing like I do in a game. The transition wasn’t too bad when I got to go in (the game).”

Ellis said he’s been spending a lot of time in the gym, “working on just continuing to get my shot better, continuing on playing hard like I did last year. I want to continue doing that and getting in great shape, things like that.”

KU coach Self said Ellis should be a stabilizing force his soph season.

“We’re counting on him to be an upperclassman,” Self said. “He will be a stud. He showed what he can do late in the season. He has a natural gift of getting the ball in the basket. He’s repetition and minutes away from being an excellent player.”

Ellis said he’s been impressed with KU’s newcomers during recent pick-up games.

“Wayne (Selden, 2-guard) and Joel (Embiid, center),” he said, asked who has caught his eye. “Right now they all are doing well. They’ve got to keep pushing and get through it. It’s really different your freshman year. You’ve just got to keep working.”

Of senior center Tarik Black, Ellis said: “He’s good. He’s strong. He’s big. He’s doing well out there. He has a big, strong body.”

Fellow Wichita native Conner Frankamp is “shooting it well,” Ellis said of the freshman combo guard out of Wichita North, who last year broke Ellis’ Wichita City League all-time scoring record.

“He doesn’t say anything too much. Coach likes messing with me about it (the record),” Ellis added with a smile. “I never played with him before. We’re getting to talk a lot. It’s great having him here. He’s a good kid.”

Thomas recruiting update: KU has offered a scholarship to Elijah Thomas, a 6-9 junior-to-be from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas, jayhawkslant.com reports. He’s ranked No. 10 in the recruiting class of 2015.

Withey on Wiggins: Former KU center Jeff Withey, who worked out for the New York Knicks on Monday, spoke about KU newcomer Andrew Wiggins to Zagsblog.com.

“I think coach Self was more shocked just because everybody did think he was going to go to (Kentucky or Florida State),” Withey said. “And when he was on his visit to Kansas, he was really quiet so you couldn’t get a good read on it. So everybody there is just really excited to have him and he’s going to have a lot of pressure but hopefully he can develop into a great player and lead that team.”

Withey said Wiggins made a good decision deciding to come to KU for summer school and not play for Canada’s Under 19 team.

“Yeah, definitely,” Withey told Zagsblog. “Coach Self’s system, it’s hard to learn right away, but if you go early and you put in the work, you’ll learn it and get good from it.”

Comments

okiedave 1 year, 2 months ago

Ellis will have a monumental year. First year learning the system and pace. Second year being a dominator.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

Things are shaping up for the "Wiggins and Ellis Show". Tharpe is a solid player and facilitator. Embiid looks to be an immediate impact player on defense. That leaves Ellis and Wiggins to be the guys scoring the ball. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they averaged more than 35 points a game between the two of them.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 2 months ago

And the ones he misses may very well be rebounded by Traylor, Lucas, Black, White, Embiid, Greene, Selden . . . you know, one of those Jayhawks.

always_correct 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks for the article! Do JoJo next!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Those are great core building exercises. I know Hudy gets results but not much about her approach to bulk up players.

I'm guessing a power lifter routine over a body builders.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Some players' bodies won't bulk up. Like Jeff Withey, he is strong as an ox but is still thin. Hudy does what is needed for the player and for the team. She is the best at what she does, and I'm glad we still have her.

Jonny Swift 1 year, 2 months ago

Loving the profiles of each of the players. Let's get one on all of them! Keep them coming please

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 2 months ago

E.T. Phone Home... There's no place like home (at Allen Fieldhouse).

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Elijah Thomas?

We've had an Elijah Johnson & a Billy Thomas.

It would be funny if there was also a Billy Johnson that was an elite basketball recruit!

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

If this year's team defense can match it's offense, we will be tough to beat. Ellis is going to be a joy to watch this season. Looking at our team, I don't know see how teams will be able to double team anyone? I don't see how teams can play us man-to-man? We should be able to bust open any zone defense. We look hard to guard. Also, if someone is asked to red-shirt this season, they should not take it the wrong way. This time of year, the board normally goes flat, nice to read all of the great comments from everyone. This used to be my favorite time of year to read Jaybate. No matter what happened the season before, I could always count on Jaybate to give me some interesting material to read, during the slow times, so thanks. Whether, I agree with you or not, I really do appreciate reading everyone's input. Go Jayhawks.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice post Comet. and I really enjoy Jaybates posts, too. People are not always going to agree with each other, but sometimes people here take things too personal (myself included, on occasion). I am going to work on that. Us Jayhawkers should stick together, not fight each other. We are going to have a fantastic year, and I can hardly wait ( I already ordered my season tickets-first time for that). Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

“There were two ways to be happy: improve your reality, or lower your expectations” ― Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I don't know how we can improve the reality of this team too much and I just CAN'T lower my expectations this year. I am so stoked for KU basketball this season......

1 year, 2 months ago

Only 114 Days Until Late Night! :^)

1 year, 2 months ago

Hey ralster, I added two asterisks on both sides of the text I wanted to boldface. Not sure if it has to be two, or if it has to be on both sides. It just happened to work for me before, so I have continued using it. :-)

1 year, 2 months ago

Hah! You continue to be a top-5 poster on here ralster, don't sell yourSelf short ;)

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

Amen, nuleaf! I can't wait. We are so deep, and so skilled. Halfway (maybe one third) through the season, look out world! And those who think OSU is as good as K.U. are mistaken. They don't have a legitimate Center. We have at least 5 great players for our "high/low, and, we can defend.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

There's a very good chance that Ellis, not Wiggins, leads the team in scoring next season. I look for Perry to average around 20 next year. With the penetration and outside shooting ability of his teammates he won't see a lot of double downs and with that quick first step (Perry has) he will be hard to handle one on one.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

Last year, Withey wasn't getting double teamed. It allowed Perry to start from the outside, beat his man for a short 2. I'm not sure we will have quite the inside presence as Withey this year. Without that, you could see more double teams on Perry. Of course that should free up Wiggins and Seldon. I think both of those guys will score the bulk of KU's points.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Perry would have had a better year if Withey HAD been double teamed thus allowing Perry to go to the paint more often.

It should be interesting to see how teams defend against KU next season.

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

No way. Wiggins is going to take more shots and FT's than Ellis.

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Boouk, if Perry plays 28 minutes, it will be tough for any Jayhawk to get to the line more. Ellis is a magnet for fouls. But you are indeed right in projecting that Wiggins will get fouled often too, if he comes in with the inclinations which Bill Self predicts. Perry, Andrew, Wayne: this team is loaded with players who can take the ball to the lane. Naadir has already shown a bit of the Sherron stuff. I hope our guys work on freethrow shooting, because it appears that we shall get to the line often this season.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think there is any chance that Ellis averages 20 a game over the full season. Self's system is too predicated on spreading the ball to the open player and Ellis does not have a varied enough game to hit from multiple spots.

WIGGINS is very likely to average 20+ this year and I'd be surprised if he doesn't because he does have the game to be open and scoring from virtually everywhere on the floor.

I look for Ellis to average a solid 13-15 points and 8-10 boards a game. That's all we need from him, along with an improved passing ability out of the post when he doesn't have a good look. There will be cutters flashing to the rim all the time for him to feed if his mid range jumper is defended well.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 2 months ago

You're right. The numbers don't really matter as long as he getting looks, which he will.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I think you guys don't realize how tough it is for a freshman to get used to the college game, no matter how Talented. It will be great if Wiggins averages 16 a game. I just think Perry is a born scorer. Regardless, Wiggins goes 1 overall in next years draft.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Perry will likely become Self's highest scoring 4.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

Simien averaged 20 and 11 his senior year for Self. Ellis might get to those numbers by his senior year but we'll see. I certainly hope you're right, though.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

And T.Rob was what? Like 18 & 10.5 or so?

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

First off, he said highest scoring, not rebounding. So the rebounding stats are irrelevant in this case. Also, I think jaybate may be on to something here. Ellis has a knack for getting the ball in the hoop and if he can start this season off where he left off last year, he will be the main contributor on offense from the inside. Having said that, he may not reach those numbers this year, but by his senior season -- depending on the talent around him -- I could see him easily putting up 20+ a game.

hawksince51 1 year, 2 months ago

While the article is primarily about Ellis, Withey's comment at the end is big: :"Yeah, definitely,” Withey told Zagsblog. “Coach Self’s system, it’s hard to learn right away, but if you go early and you put in the work, you’ll learn it and get good from it.” Considering the history of OADs and other freshmen at KU under Self, it has become hard for me to get overly excited about OADs. In spite of all the hype, Henry and Selby made modest contributions during there time at KU. So this year we have Wiggins, Selden, Embiid, Frankamp and others who will face this challenge. Ben Mac had a great redshirt freshman year but how would he have done without the extra year to learn the system before he ever played in a game? While I'm really looking forward to seeing how next year's team comes together and which players make the big contribution, my expectations at this time are much higher for Perry than any of the freshmen.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

System is hard to learn is HogWash - the problem with Freshman is they never had to play defense like they will have to in college so they get so tired from playing defense that they don't have the legs to be efficient scorers on offense - it comes down to conditioning and having the endurance to play both ends of the court at a really high level - KU's offense is come down and run the weave three times - set a pick and drive to basket and score or kick it out for a three - Rocket Science "NO". - so Run freshman Run ....and get in the best shape of your life then maybe you will have something left in the tank to score a basket after playing exhausting defense that Self expects you to play or else

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

The great part about defense is, after one to five years of college, they'll never have to play it again.

Andrew Moore 1 year, 2 months ago

defense in college is about effort and tenacity and being physical. defense played in the NBA is more about being in the right place.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Ha! I see your point, but San Antonio just held the dream team to 77 last night, and that’s over 48 minutes. Don’t forget they’ve played 48-minute games 99 times already this year.

Defense is tiring, which is one of the reasons you see the high NBA scores over the coarse of such a grueling schedule. But as the Spurs have shown, defense wins at any level.

Jim Tebow 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think you understand the NBA. It's not that they don't play defense, it's that the players are so good offensively, that it appears that they aren't trying. They are obviously playing defense. but any good scorer in the NBA can't be guarded 1-on-1

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Withey was with the system 4 yrs? It's important for the newcomers to understand this comment. You don't come in and play on a playground like uk or a dribble drive offense. Also, you do have to play defense. Defense is #1 because it leads to offense. When you learn this concept you excel at Self's system. Recruits must know and understand when they commit to Self and Co, they commit to an intelligent working system that wins games. He doesn't just run/gun and dribble/drive.

Self's system is one of the most complex systems of any coach. I'd say that maybe coach k, Donovan, and a few others have a similiar system. The key is to learn it and execute it. That's "buying" into a system. You don't tell your squad to go out and dribble/drive. And when they fail to win or fail a season, say, "they just didn't buy into it." What? What kind of system brings in several top recruits and lets them play like on a playground? Those coaches and teams run nothing. They rely on pure talent. I think zona relies on the same type of talent oriented system. You just go out and land "top" recruits and hope their talent wins games. They teach their players NOTHING. When you leave KU, you use your talent and your understanding of the game to excel at the next level.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

I think you may be vastly overstating how different Self's system is compared to the systems run at other elite programs. There is very little actual difference in the offensive systems of Bill Self and John Calipari. Cal just gave his a fancy name as all good salesmen do...

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I've watched enough of Self's system and a few other coaching systems very closely. There is a huge difference.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

"When you leave KU, you use your talent and your understanding of the game to excel at the next level."

Because we have seen so many of Self's players go to the next level and excel ?!? Eh, no. If anything, Self's system makes college players look better than they really are, so when they get to the NBA and need to have individual talents, they are relegated to the end of the bench or out of the league. NONE of Self's best players are making any type of impact at the next level whatsoever.

1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, because being the starting point guard on an NBA Championship team would not be considered "making any type of impact at the next level whatsoever."

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 1 year, 2 months ago

I would agree there have been some disappointments re: KU players transitioning to the NBA, such as Julian Wright, TRob, etc. I really don't think it is quantitatively different than players transitioning from other elite programs - some make it, some don't. Deron Williams and Mario Chalmers have been important players on good teams, and Darrell Arthur, Brandon Rush and the Morris twins have turned into solid NBA players who have battled injuries. Darnell Jackson - with very limited offensive and athletic ability - has made a solid income in the league and I doubt he would have had any pro career whatsoever without having learned under Self. He definitely maxed out his potential under Self, as did Aldrich and Withey. So,I'm not saying you are wrong, but think there is a fair flip-side to your point.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 2 months ago

Here's another question, and I'm just trying to get more opinions because I like this thread. Say you have the #1 recruit in each position (PF, C, SG, PG, SF)- who's offense would they fit better in if they were guaranteed to start for Calipari of Self? Is Self's system more complicated so that they might not be as good at the beginning of the season? Would Self's team be better during year 2 but not as good during year 1 because of the learning curve? I am guessing both teams would be near equally good. Id like to say self would have the edge in coaching.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Kem- When you learn better how to set a pick, kick out, options, timing. It's not just weaving three times and shooting. You make it sound easy. Rocket Science? NO, it is not, but it is a skill my friend. Skills that will assist you when you play against superior players at the next level. These kids have to learn a work ethic. An ethic that produces options. There's more than just doing what you describe. It's finding the highest percentage shot possible. It's knowing that at the end of the play, you've got to make split second decisions as to what is best in each trip down the court. Your style and attitude is very Calipari-esque. "Come down, run around and then shoot a trey or drive for a layup." Hey, if that's your style of play, great. Let's just let Self do the coaching...ok?

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought Perry should've played more at the end of last season. It'll be interesting to see how often he shoots this year with our shooters/scorers on the perimeter. He should be a good fit on this team, but will our PG's give him the ball in his spots when Wiggins is on the bench?

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

It was hard to knock the play of YOUNG late last year. He was getting lose balls making junk points and playing great defense. Nothing against Perry, I am sure he would have done a great job also, But Young was the x factor on the team he just seemed to get so many lose balls and rebounds it was hard to take him out. I am sure Perry will have a solid year with the partners he has around him it will be unlikely any team will double team Perry and that will leave him to score and score a lot.

Rock Chalk

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Good post...Young brought instant enthusiasm and energy plus a much improved game.

Ellis will be starting in the upcoming season and I think he will be huge contributor.

KUbsee69 1 year, 2 months ago

Perry first dunked in the 7th grade. Does anyone know how tall he was at that time?

bennybob 1 year, 2 months ago

Self offering another top-10 ranked player? Between Embiid, Selden, and of course WIggins it seems to me that whole story about Self not liking the OADS because they don't fit his system is complete crap.

Can we finally admit it was a recruiting slump from '10-'12, not some diabalical recruiting strategy by the staff?

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

How is it a slump when you get Selby, the #1 player at the time, during that period? I will agree with you that it was not a strategy to not get one and dones. Self has never said he doesn't want OADs.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

People keep blaming Self's system for failing OADs. I think it's a reflection on the recruit's ethic more than Self's system. Wiggins is a totally different kind of recruit. He wants the chance to learn and add to his skill set for the next level, mentally and physically.

Diabolical recruiting conspiracy? Slump? hmm...not sure about your question at the end. You kinda refute your question in the first of your post bennyb.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 2 months ago

You think Self's inability to land OADs (prior to Wiggins) was because of the recruit's work ethic rather than Self's offensive scheme??? Did you not read what McLemore just said a few days ago?

“I could’ve done those things at Kansas but that’s just how the Kansas system is. I was just playing Kansas basketball. Now, I have an opportunity to play free and play my own game. I know deep down inside I can take over games. I know I have that dog in me to take over games.”

Most OADs don't want to play in Self's High-Low offense and if you think that offense is going to help Wiggins at the next level, then I got a bridge to sell ya!

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm with you benny. Self recruits players based on talent and character. Sometimes he isn't the best judge of character, but then who is with kids that you have limited contact with. Self missed out on some really good recruits during that stretch: Brandon Knight, Harrison Barnes, Doron Lamb, Terrance Ross, Terrence Jones, Adreian Payne.... and those are all from the 2010 class.

As you can see, most of those guys went to Kentucky, because Calipari is a known producer of OAD talent. However, I have a great feeling that things will change as long as Selden and Embiid produce (Wiggins is almost a given). While I would like to have those two for more than one year, it would almost be better for the program to have them excel this season and take off to the pros.

This would (hopefully) effectively end Kentucky's reign over OAD players. In this day and age, a perfect blend of upperclassmen and OADs would be exactly what HCBS needs to start piling up those championships.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

I truly detest the cold hard lashes of Wintertime, but am busy piling up the firewood for the upcoming KU Boo.., oops, BB season that has more promise than most I can recall under Bill. Hopefully all of our expectations are not overstated or unfulfilled. If not for the EJ meltdown, we likely could've had back to backers in the NC tossup. Bring on the snow damnit, I'm ready for the sorbet of the new season!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] You all know, I am as rabid a fan as anyone, but I think I must temper my expectations for Perry. No doubt, he will definitely be a factor, but the skill set of next season's rotation may result in a more distributed team scoring pattern.

2] Andrew coming this summer is HUGE beyond the obvious basketball advantages. He will be able to absorb the Jayhawk tradition both with his current teammates and the large number of graduated Jayhawks who live in the region.

3] P.S. Andrew...yes, Scot Pollard is crazy but go ahead and listen to him anyway!

4] Every freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior high school player in America knows which team Andrew Wiggins is on.....and they WILL BE WATCHING!!

5] I predict that Perry will emerge as a true superstar in 2014-15. Last season, he learned what Division 1 basketball was all about. This season, he takes those lessons and applies them to his own abilities and, next season, he explodes into a lottery pick!!

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Oak, I think we will see Perry's minutes double this season, and his points/rebounds escalate just a bit north of double. And, yes, his Jr. year, WOW!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I think early on Perry will carry more of the load. Regardless of the talent of some of these recruits, other than Wiggins I think each will struggle at times, especially early. I also think that Tharpe will take on a bigger role than many expect. The kid has ice in his veins and loves the big stage. He also has more blow-by ability than any guard I can remember other than TT, and should be able to get to the lane almost at will. If he can continue to improve on his decision making (which was steadily getting better last year) I think he could be a huge contributor this year.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 2 months ago

I remember when I first dunked in 7th grade...ha!

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah me too...it was in kindergarten on a little nerf type bball goal at about 4' hgh. I even remember breaking that little plastic goal down a time or two, haha.

Perry is just a quality kid.

dstnku34 1 year, 2 months ago

How many different Jayhawks will have 3 or more games of 20+ points? Right now, I feel pretty confident saying 4. Ellis, Wiggins, Seldon, Frankamp.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

NO WAY...on Frankamp. I agree with the other three. Otherwise, I could maybe see it from B. Greene or Tharpe.

dstnku34 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm with you that Frankamp is the wild card. I put him down because he has a reputation of scoring and, if he goes over 20, he's only going to need 8 or 9 shots. He will not average double digits, but he's streaky enough to get 3 twenty-point outings.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankamp isn't really "streaky" per the definition. He pretty much lights the net on fire every time he sets foot on the court. I think more of what you would mean is that he won't need to be that guy every night. But when the game calls for some 3 point bombs, you can count on him to knock 'em dead.

I'm pretty sure that by the time he leaves as a senior, he's going to have the record for 3pt%, 3pt att., and 3pt made. I know that's saying a lot, but hey, when you have the "White Mamba" on your team, anything is possible.

dstnku34 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh, I forgot to add that Tharpe, while not being in that 3 games of 20 list, I do think he has the possibility of 3 or more games with 12+ assists. With so many other offensive weapons, he could approach A. Miles type numbers...if he takes care of the ball.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I would actually put Tharpe on the list. He has serious breakout potential and we all know that Self will lean on his returning players, especially early in the year. I also agree with the possibility of 3+ games with 12+ assists.

tahawk81 1 year, 2 months ago

Does anyone else think Perry looks like Joe from one of the seasons of Teen Mom? My wife watches that crap but I cant help but see the similarities.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

yeah, my " WIFE " watches American Idol and the Voice too. I can't help but listen.....

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

Any hints on the projected new replacement for the Doctor of BO? Is Wayne's name in the mix? He'd be a role model/mentor to some really impressionable kids that, as we all know, are at a really pivotal stage in life. Only IMO, but I think that would be a can't miss addition.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, I was wondering that very thing myself.

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

Doctor of BO? I'll assume that title, since I forgot to wear deodorant today

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Simien would make a great Director of Basketball Operations. As for Doctor of BO, I'm going to go with that guy in every gym that never takes his workout shirt home and washes it. It just ends up thrown in his gym bag and put in the trunk of his car until the next time he goes to the gym. By the end of the first week its bad enough to kill small animals and children with weakened immune systems.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

Averaging 20 pts. is very hard to do. As TwoCoach said, if Perry averages 13-15 and 8-10, that would be great. Yes, scoring should be balanced, but freshmen (maybe even AW) will be inconsistent. With Ellis, Tharpe, Selden, AW, we should be able to score. I don't see Frankamp getting 20 in a game unless maybe one of the early games if he gets hot late.

KemDooKU 1 year, 2 months ago

Was not trying to make Selfs offense out to be child's play but any offense comes down to putting the ball through the hoop - Josh Selby if memory serves me right scored 21pts his first game out as a Jayhawk and then pretty much down hill from there - with I believe conditioning/ injuries being his problem and not the fact of the offense being to difficult to learn - either way you make good points TrueHawk but people saying Coach Cal and others like him run a college offense that is straight out of a "Basketball for Dummy's" book are just plain out of touch - Coach Cal is an excellent coach or he would not be where he is now and although his offense may be simplified for his freshman I doubt its a whole lot different than Self's -

KatnissHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

There should be plenty of offense this next season. It's going to be DEFENCE that wins.