Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kansas AD relishes title

Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger shook the hand of women’s track coach Stanley Redwine and hugged him after Redwine’s Jayhawks on Saturday won the NCAA Outdoor title at University of Oregon’s track.

“I told him how proud I was of him,” Zenger said in a phone interview with the Journal-World. “From where I sit, it was a great effort from coach Redwine to his staff to every last kid on that team — just an awful lot of hard work, heart. It was a group effort.”

It was the first women’s team national championship of any kind in KU history.

“I’m practically speechless,” Zenger said. “I had the opportunity to get to know some of these young ladies. They are as good as gold. Their heart, soul, their work ethic makes you proud to be in the business of education and college athletics.”

He recognized how special it is for a team to win a national title.

“There are only so many sports and so many national championships,” Zenger said. “From my vantage point, it’s certainly not about me, but I’ve always felt track and field is the purest of all sports. It goes back to the history of humankind. To win a championship in that ... we’ve all grown up watching the Olympics.

“This is a special moment, it is what we strive for each and every day — championships and particularly national championships.”

Comments

Michael Pannacciulli 5 years, 10 months ago

Hoping this is only the beginning! Great work ladies.

actorman 5 years, 10 months ago

Zenger is looking better and better as the AD. Look at the improvements across the board, in facilities, teams' records, GPA's, etc. I realize that the AD has only so much to do with some of that stuff, but my how things have changed since Lew left. What a difference Zenger has made in such a short time, and as mpann said, this should only be the beginning.

Great job, ladies, and what a glorious time to be a Jayhawk!

Chris Shaw 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree! I've also been impressed with Zenger's resolve and confidnce in the conference realignment discussions/circus.

Robert Brown 5 years, 10 months ago

He will be measured on the success of the football team and how KU fares in conference realignment. Looking OK on the latter, though not sure he did anything except keep his fingers crossed that UT and OU wanted to keep the conference together.

Time will tell about football. The Weis pick was a gamble and so far it hasn't looked good.

lv_jhwk 5 years, 10 months ago

"The Weis pick was a gamble and so far it hasn't looked good."

By what measuring stick?! If you are simply referring to the football team's record last year, I would have to question if you did anything more than look at the standings in December and came to your conclusion.

kumax 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Zenger.

Track & Field is one, if not the- purest of sports. Of course, I tend to feel the same way about b- ball, being a Jayhawk and all. I give this women's team (men's team too) a bunch of credit for helping Coach Redwine bring back Track & Field commitment and moxie to the University of Kansas. I spent so many wonderful days at the KU Relays as a student- always felt that it was another reason that Kansas was a very special place. Thanks to Coach Redwine and the Women's and Men's teams!

Truckhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

To pull that off after a couple key players didn't have a great meet is really awesome. Redwine seems like a Jayhawk through and through. I hoped he doesnt' get lured away by greener pastures.

Jack Jones 5 years, 10 months ago

Please ~ Could we try using "Women" in place of "ladies"? As in 'women' and 'men' > rather than 'ladies' and 'gentlemen'.

William Daniels 5 years, 10 months ago

Woo Woo Woo. The PC Police have arrived! Everyone drop their linguistic weapons and get out your sensitivity manuals!

Truckhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Are we playing the Woman Vols in hoops next year?

Clarence Haynes 5 years, 10 months ago

Kudos to Coach Redwine and his staff! I once wrote him a note in his early days at KU, stating my concerns regarding KU's competitiveness. He's undoubtedly made me believe in him as a winner who has systematically brought back the KU Track & Field Program to prominence. RCJH!

Displayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

A national championship, and upgraded facilities to come. I would think those two things would make it very hard to turn down Coach Redwine when it comes to recruiting. The future looks very bright indeed!