Saturday, June 8, 2013

Andrew Wiggins on his way

Kansas coach Bill Self, left, and his wife, Cindy, second from right, head into Abe and Jake's Landing on their way to the annual Bill Self Basketball Boogie on Saturday, June 8, 2013.

photo

photo

Former Kansas player Greg Gurley shows off his blue suit and side burns as he heads into Abe and Jake's Landing for the annual Bill Self Basketball Boogie, Saturday evening.

photo

Wearing a shiny shirt provided by Cindy Self, Doug Gottlieb is interviewed by members of the media before heading into Abe and Jake's Landing for the annual Bill Self Basketball Boogie on Saturday, June 8, 2013.

One unexpected piece of news at Bill’s Basketball Boogie raised the party atmosphere to a fever pitch on Saturday night at Abe & Jake’s Landing.

During introductions of his players, Kansas University coach Bill Self reported that Canadian freshman sensation Andrew Wiggins likely would be on campus for summer school Monday or Tuesday.

Wiggins, 6-foot-7 from Toronto and the United States’ No. 1-rated high school player, has decided to not play for his country in international competition this summer, thus will be heading to Lawrence soon. That decision was first revealed at the Basketball Canada website on Saturday night.

Rowan Barrett, executive vice-president and assistant general manager of Canada Basketball’s Senior Men’s program, commented on the website that, “at 18 years old, Andrew has a long basketball career ahead of him. Andrew’s decision to prepare himself this summer for the upcoming season is a decision we acknowledge. Our team will miss Andrew this summer, but we remain focused on Andrew’s long-term development and our organizational goals for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and beyond.”

Wiggins, who is skipping the Under 19 championships with Canada’s junior national team, conceivably still could play for the senior team later this summer.

Tight race: College basketball analyst Doug Gottlieb, who this year was co-host of the Boogie with Self, envisions a two-team race for the 2013-14 Big 12 basketball title.

The contenders?

The nine-time defending champion Kansas Jayhawks and Gottlieb and Self’s alma mater, Oklahoma State, which will be led by sophomore standout Marcus Smart.

“It feels like back in the mid-’90s, where you have Oklahoma State and Kansas — two really talented clubs kind of lining up for two, maybe three match-ups to decide who is the Big 12 champion,” Gottlieb said Saturday at Abe & Jake’s.

Gottlieb says the big challenge for OSU is “handling expectations. It’s a lot harder to do when everybody expects you to be great.”

And OSU instantly became a top-10 pick nationally when freshman sensation Smart elected to return for his sophomore season.

“I was in Stillwater a month ago. Marcus Smart ... what you see on the floor is only part of what makes him special,” Gottlieb said. “He is an incredible leader off the floor in getting those guys focused and working toward the higher goal. He is not afraid of competition. A blind man can see Kansas probably has a greater depth of talent especially inside talent. They (Cowboys) bring back their top seven scorers. It’s going to be fun.”

KU has vaulted into everybody’s top ten since the signing of Wiggins.

“There isn’t any question in terms of talent they’ll have more talent than they had on the bench this year. I still think it comes down to a couple factors,” Gottlieb said. “Will they be a ‘team,’ because they were a really good team the past couple years? That’s what allowed them to win nine consecutive titles. Will they be a team and who is going to be the point guard and whoever the point guard is, can they get them into what they need to get them into and get everybody lined up talentwise? I think KU basketball is back at a (talent) level we haven’t seen since maybe three years ago.

“You are talking about Andrew Wiggins having more God-given ability at this point in his career ... we’re talking potentially how good he can be at a higher level than anyone they’ve had here maybe since Paul Pierce and maybe a higher ceiling than Paul Pierce.”

Sir, yes, sir: On the reason he co-hosted the Boogie, Gottlieb said: “Bill called. Bill calls ... you go, ‘Yes, sir.’ Between my appreciation for the program and of course what he does with the foundation ... also our Oklahoma State ties.

“I feel like they are going to present me with some ‘shorts on backwards’ or something or there will be a chant coming tonight,” Gottlieb joked of the party.

Gottieb wore his shorts backward during a KU-Okahoma State game in February of 1999 in Allen Fieldhouse during Gottlieb’s days as point guard for the Cowboys. KU fans needled him by chanting, “Shorts on Backwards,” during one game in Allen.

No transfer to UNLV: Former KU guard Anrio Adams told the Journal-World in a text message Saturday he is not transferring to UNLV. He said he “is open to seek all options and is waiting for the best situation and the UNLV rumor is not true.” Several recruiting sites reported Adams was likely headed to UNLV in Tweets late Friday night. Also, the J-W quoted a Facebook message from Adams indicating he’d chosen UNLV. On Saturday, he said that Facebook message was fake. “I’ve seen a fake page of me before,” Adams told the J-W in a text message. He told the J-W it is “likely” he’ll attend a junior college.

Comments

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Great news ~ GETS GREAT-ER ~ to hear that Andrew Wiggins will be on campus much earlier than expected.

Ichabodhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Anrio's grades must have been more subpar than expected. Athletes attend jucos because they can't make grades. Wonder if he will stay in the state of Kansas and play. Hutch might not be a bad place. They've previously had bobby maize and Johnson-odom from Marquette. Just needs to get his head on straight and he could still be successful at the D1 level.

Great news about Andrew. Being in campus next week will definitely get the team to gel quicker. Instead of practicing without your arguably best player for two months then adjusting to playing with him and gelling with him. This decision makes me like Andrew even more. Seems like he's focused on this upcoming season and this upcoming season only.

Okie state will be tough next year. I agree with Doug though in that its tough to perform 100% of the time when you have a target on your chest instead of you bring the one aiming at the target. I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU go 15-3 or 16-2 but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 13-5 or worse. Pressure can be a huge factor and we'll see if Marcus can handle the pressure that will surely be in his shoulders in November.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

'Rio could play immediately at a juco also.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope the kid does well wherever he goes...

Matt Bowers 1 year, 3 months ago

Babyjay, whoever made this video left out Tarik Black! A great video, but kind of harsh to leave Tarik out. Very much looking forward to Kansas basketball next season and seeing how HCBS brings this young team together.

Rock Chalk

BabyJay2009 1 year, 3 months ago

Got from YouTube. Not sure who made, but I'm sure an updated one is coming out soon.

KUSHELLY 1 year, 3 months ago

The video was made before Black announced he was coming to KU.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 3 months ago

As much as I care about the streak the bigger prize in April is really what I care about...granted its a looooooong road to April though. Sooner this team can gel and bond the better. Good move Andrew. Can't wait till October 4th!!!!!!!

David Leathers 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll post them here too...

... and this is why I think Andrew is coming early... He wants Hudy to get him here...

I wanna fly like and eagle...

I wanna fly like and eagle... by David Leathers

702Hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

3 questions that the first picture makes me ask. Is Frank Mason taller than we thought? Is Jo Jo shorter than we thought? Or are they just on completely different steps? And boy Greene seem tall.

ja_hok91 1 year, 3 months ago

This team will go through growing pains, but watch out for us in late January!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

You going to post this on every article?

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

Hopefully Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas, and Oklahoma also contend this year. We need to have a strong conference. 10 in a row would be quite special.

jayhawkinoregon 1 year, 3 months ago

Is it just me or is this posting racially slanted? We are the Jayhawks without regard to the race of our players. I really can't believe that this post is still up. Is the monitor asleep?

Lance Hobson 1 year, 3 months ago

Pretty sure he's excited that the Chicago Blackhawks are in the NHL finals. Lots of Jayhawks in Chicago.

Ken Sedgwick 1 year, 3 months ago

I am so freaking excited AW will be here this summer. It's a game changer. However, I am not happy with all the focus on Andrew. It serves no one but the press. Hey SOB, aka Doug, meet the next Big 12 champs. Naadir show SOB what you got.

Aligned 1 year, 3 months ago

Fake Facebook page of you? Please don't be so narcissistic.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow! That is all I am going to say about the pic above! Wow!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

I like Gottlieb! Always have! He ruffles feathers and many people don't like him, but I like his bluntness when it comes to commentating and analysis.

With that said, Gottlieb is no dummy and if he's going to get into coaching like he wants to...It's always good to huddle up next to Bill Self.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 3 months ago

It is Adams who is fake. He's nothing but a blowhard.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I saw kD's post above, and KansasComet's from the other article.

Obviously, I was against the presumed-OAD drama that I assumed Wiggins would bring. This week, that drama was center-stage with the idea that Wiggins would commit to Canada's national team up through early September. And then there were the ridiculous defenses (twocoach44 for example) of Wiggins' assumed decision to play for team Canada as not mattering and not having any impact on KU hoops this season (as opposed to doing what all other first year players do .. get to campus for the summer, workouts with Hudy, bonding, adjusting, scrimmaging, learn KU hoops mentally and physically, etc.)

Those ridiculous defenses were of the nature that would have "ok'd" anything, simply because it was Wiggins -- heck, if Wiggins would have taken online classes from KU, had his own locker room space and shower, lived in his own off campus apartment, and ate in a private dining room -- those defenders would have explained it away as meaningless. Coach Self wants and has freshman and first year players here for the summer, but his reasons for that were apparently "meaningless" to some. Who cares? Show up when you want.

But Wiggins being here now means something. His mere absence would have been a distraction.

What Wiggins has done is pushed aside some of the OAD drama and is showing his commitment to Kansas, to making himself better, and making this team better. It's a recognition, at this point at least, of how important this season is for him. And it is a demonstration to his teammates that while everyone knows he's a special player, he's not taking advantage of that and insisting on being treated specially. Huge deal for building team chemistry.

No coincidence at all that this decision comes just days after Self traveled personally to visit with Andrew and his family. Who do you think subtly suggested that he would be best on campus now? The power of persuasion. Nice job, coach.

Being better at "KU basketball" for a season will benefit Wiggins much more significantly than anything else he can do right now. A laser focus on KU hoops, getting better physically and mentally, and helping this team win, will provide the young man more positives than any other basketball activity.

It's great to see that the kid's second big decision (getting to campus for the summer) was as sound as his first big decision (coming to KU).

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

You don't have to explain yourself HEM. Some people don't follow recruiting closely and only pay attention to the end result (Andrew Wiggins in the Crimson and Blue at Kansas).

What most don't understand is how close Kansas was to getting Julius Randle. We will never know, but something happened at the 11:59 hour with that recruitment.

With that said, at that time of recruiting who would have ever thought Andrew Wiggins would still be seriously considering Kansas? I mean, Kansas has missed on a ton of Top 10 guys over the last 4 or 5 years so the Randle recruitment was kind of.....IMO....just another slap in the face with the TV/Hat ceremony.

I know before the Julius Randle recruitment I wanted Julius Randle more so than Andrew Wiggins (Didn't think Wiggins would even consider Kansas at that time despite having Kansas on his list) simply because I wanted another PF and I thought Julius Randle would fit into the system a little better more so than Wiggins. Hindsight is always 20/20. That is what people forget for those of us that follow recruiting closely.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm still against taking the presumed OADs unless we have a major hole to fill .. that's why I was very hopeful (like you) that we'd get Randle, and I was against the Wiggins thing. Interesting how things work out.

But as I've mentioned, as kD has succinctly pointed out .. I'll kindly reserve judgment until April/2014. I'm hopeful that my opinion is changed. Wiggins is off to a great start as a Jayhawk with this decision.

And yes, on your post below. I bet X was a nice example.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

It doesn't hurt to be happy to have Andrew Wiggins on our team. You can admit it. Come on, man!

LaFriends 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with Wiggins' decision - primarily to avoid a kind of "special-case"/"prima-dona" modus operandi. Once you commit to a group, you owe them full value. Plus, he's gonna love the bonding/team feel, with a bunch of obviously really solid guys on this team...

That said, as a Canadian, Bill Self owes Canada something,, maybe a section of the cheap seats reserved for hard-core Canucks willing to make the drive to AFH. (please)

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

Just some other nuggets to think about...

Anybody think the Xavier Henry summer drama before he came to KU to workout with his "Professional" brother had anything to do with Self's experience of handling these situations? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thank you Xavier Henry for providing an example of why it's important to get on campus early!

Beate Williams 1 year, 3 months ago

It surprises me that we have seen nothing from Jaybate about AW coming to campus early; find it surprising because Jaybate is always analyzing how and why things are done. I find it interesting that HCBS went to Canada early in the week and had dinner with the family for three hours. I'm sure, even though I personally have no way of knowing for certain, but I suspect that BS also met with others in Canada about the importance of AW's development and how important his development would be to the Canadians putting forth a great team at the 2016 Olympics and how that was more important than the Under 18 Championships. I simply find it pretty ironic that this decision was made all of a sudden and especially only a few days after BS's visit to Canada. What ever the reason for the decision, I think it is a smart decision on his part, and I think it will help the team as much as him personally. I simply cannot wait for Oct. to get here. Even though I'm deep in Texas the thought that I will have the opportunity to see at least three games in Texas and get back to Lawrence for maybe a couple I am totally stoked. RCJHGKU

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

HEM, I think you and I have been on the same page regarding Most Things Wiggins. The kid continues to surprise the hoops world with his sound and quiet decisions. My take was, if he did not arrive in Lawrence until 11 Sept. his late presence could become a major distraction, in spite of his tremendous talent and potential. Now, even if he should spend the second half of the summer working with Canada's National Team, he will have bonded with Jayhawk teammates and gotten a running start in the relay to fit and adjust well into the system, both teamwise and individually. He is issuing the message that this season in Lawrence means a lot to him, and player peers and coaches will know that he is giving up important options in order to be a part of this squad. I find it very reassuring that the top 3 recruits in this class have made it a point to avoid the ESPN hat-trick circus during their commitment and signing. These are Top 20 recruits who could have opted for the Kentucky Dog and Pony Act. I'm willing to wager a bundle that this group of Jayhawks does not find itself NIT bound, come April.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

"My take was, if he did not arrive in Lawrence until 11 Sept. his late presence could become a major distraction, in spite of his tremendous talent and potential."

Exactly. And "major distraction" might even be an understatement. This is a big deal, I think. Like really big. One where coach Self gets huge credit in convincing him this was the best summer option. I didn't mention this, but his parents get a lot of credit, too. They are obviously the biggest influences in his life. If they had pushed him to Team Canada, chances are that is where he'd have gone.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Very cool to see Wiggins head to Lawrence early. It wouldn't have bothered me to see Wiggins olay in the U-19 championships because he still would've been on campus befire school started. I'm not saying the time missed due to U-19 commitments would've been nothing, but I don't believe it would've been a big deal either. Playing for the senior national team however would've been a big deal because he would've missed basically everything prior to Late Night. I'm glad he's headed to Lawrence sooner than expected and now it's time to go get that 10th straight Big 12 title and 4th NCAA title.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

And I'm guessing you think like I do that Gottlieb is way underestimating Tharpe?

If Tharpe make just 1/2 the leap he made last season, we're in for some great point guard play.

Josh Becker 1 year, 3 months ago

HCBS loved tyshawn as evident by starting all 4 years and lacking discipline in the beginning and playing through it all. He stuck by EJ too. Neither of them were mistakes and Self was just preparing Tharpe like all of his PG's!!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

Great post Slayer. I could not see what coach saw in Naadir until his minutes started to add up in the 6 NCAA tourney games his freshman year. But what he turned into was simply amazing. The Superstars on this team will get the ball. Reliford was the only one who fed the post better than Naadir and at the end I, like many thought we would have beaten Michigan with him at point.

Allen Shepard 1 year, 3 months ago

Cindy Self looking good....

Doug wishes he could wear that every day.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Sooner or latert, he'd put it on backwards!!! :)

BewareofOz 1 year, 3 months ago

Andrew, welcome to Lawrence and the University of Kansas. After your college career is over and as the years pass, I truly believe that you'll be happy with your decision to go to KU. KU is consistently regarded as one of the six greatest college basketball programs of all-time, usually ranking anywhere from #3 to #5. ESPN ranked KU #3 all-time a few years ago in their "Encyclopedia of College Basketball" and introduced the KU section by stating, "Kansas IS college basketball." "The Atlantic" , a national non-sports magazine out of New Jersey, declared just a couple of years ago that no program or franchise (college or pro) has had as much influence on any sport as has KU on basketball. And the magazine added, not even the New York Yankees! In fact, it was KU's influence on the sport of basketball that led USA TODAY, in a November 1996 article titled, "A Tradition Second to None", to proclaim Kansas as the GREATEST college basketball program of all-time. The reasoning was simple with three names predominating among many: James Naismith, Phog Allen, and Wilt Chamberlain. Oh, and let's not forget the coaching tree and names like Dean Smith and Adolph Rupp. You see, these intangibles, coupled with multiple national titles, conference titles, Final Fours, and all-time wins put KU over the top. The game may not have been invented in Lawrence, but it spread from and developed out of Lawrence. James Nasmith founded ONE major college basketball program, KU, and then the Father of Basketball Coaching, Phog Allen, marketed the sport like no one else. Phog was the sport's salesman, by almost single-handedly getting hoops established as an Olympic sport. Furthermore, he greatly influenced the development of the NCAA tournament. So Andrew, as time goes by you'll be able to appreciate what a great program you played for. Look, a few other schools may have more national titles, but you'll always be able to say that you played for THE FOUNDER'S PROGRAM! We have James Naismith's court, and you will have played for JAMES NAISMITH'S PROGRAM. So anyone who denigrates Kansas basketball is truly denigrating THE FOUNDER'S PROGRAM and hence the sport itself. So I ask you, would you rather have 11 or 8 or 5 or 4 NCAA Titles and that's it? Or would you rather have 3 NCAA titles and be THE FOUNDER'S PROGRAM that includes the Father of Basketball Coaching? How many titles is the legacy of Naismith and Allen worth. Oh I'd say about 75, since without them, no school would have any titles at all! So that's it. Through objective quantification, it becomes apparent that you, Andrew, will be playing for the program with the most hardware. And not to be too morbid, but doesn't that burial plot off of 15th street hold the greatest basketball trophy of all: the final resting place of the great James Naismith. Yes indeed, Andrew, in the final analysis, we win. And so do you. Congratulations, Andrew.

BewareofOz 1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry for the lack of paragraphing. It was originally done so. But stuff happens - just like Andrew Wiggins coming to Lawrence earlier than expected! And by the way my should have been written to all the new Jayhawks. Welcome, Brannen, Joel, Connor, Wayne, Tarik, and Frank. Can't wait to see you all play!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Just a few words of advice Andrew.

If you really want to know what the right thing to do is, come to KUSports.com. We will give you opinions on rotations, the lineup three years from now, the refs, why you're not ready for the NBA yet, the history of the team all the way back to Dr. Naismith, Some fans will quit on the team after one one point loss, some will proclaim it the greatest team in KU's History, many will complain of east coast bias, all of us will call Jesse a genius for his unique analysis, most of us will tell Keegan to go pro, All of us will scroll past Jaybates minibooks at some point, we will appreciate his voluminous knowledge of all things, we will all laugh at Nuleafhawk, the funniest man out here and the same people will wonder what aperse and mangino... wrote that got deleted for violating the usage agreement, Oakville, HEM and other thoughtful ones will pontificate wisely about strategy and players. Don't read me, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Oh, and even with our all star lineup some guy named stupidmichael will be scared. Good luck!

brooksmd 1 year, 3 months ago

Nice post wissoxfan83. Is it tipoff time yet?

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Brooks, I hope not, we spend our summers in Wisconsin and I sure am enjoying the 60's and 70's we've been having since we got here, and the warmup this week all the way to 80! Once I get back for the start of school however, then it's focusing on latenight and the season a few weeks later!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for the kind words wissoxfan83 - I was just scrolling through to the bottom to post how awesome it is to be stoked for Late Night while it's still June 9th and I saw my name in your post. I thought " Great. What did I do now that I've already forgotten about and am about to regret?". This site is fun, and don't feel too bad - none of us know what we're talking about most of the time! Rock Chalk!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Sincere words nuleaf, some guys take this way too seriously, act like they do know what they're talking about, it's a frickin game that doesn't change any of our lives whether they win or lose, so we shouldn't get too uptight.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Wiggins coming to Lawrence over the summer was just good 'business' -- he stated the reason he came here was to 'develop' (both his body and his play on the court) as well as to be a part of something 'special' (during his one and only year in college). He would not accomplish any of those goals had he played on one/both of the Canadian national teams.

By next April, no one will remember how Team Canada performed in their respective summer competitions; rather everyone will remember how AW performed throughout the NCAA season and tournament(s) given the amount of TV exposure and press he/we will no doubt receive -- he will likely be under a 'microscope' with the whole world watching how his decision to come to KU unfolds. AW simply must get ready for this scrutiny to ensure he secures the #1 Pick in the 2014 NBA Draft that many have all but conceded to him as the 'Next Lebron' before even stepping on a college campus. He cannot fail!

Playing for Team(s) Canada would be fun and noble; however, given his youth there is plenty of time for that down the road. Right now, AW needs to get 'Hudy-ized' to develop his body to be (even more) NBA-ready, he needs to play summer pick-up to bond with his team and get to know their individual strengths/weaknesses while also developing team chemistry that will be invaluable -- especially with such a young (albeit supremely talented individually) team. Soaking up the unique aura of AFH -- even though empty/quiet in the summer -- will breed familiarity that will pay dividends when the season starts this fall.

To that point, I love AW's humility and heart -- same goes for Selden, Greene, Black, Embiid, Frankamp and Mason (from what I can tell) -- as they all seem to understand and respect the magnitude of this unique opportunity to play at KANSAS and truly accomplish something 'special' TOGETHER. Despite the many legendary individual players we've had grace the hallowed halls of AFH (and Hoch Auditorium and Robinson Gymnasium before that), KANSAS BASKETBALL has always represented the integrity of the game as a TEAM sport.

Our talented Frosh will have to 'mesh' with our returning Sophs/Juniors to create the appropriate chemistry necessary for them to achieve their reasons for coming to KU. With Hudy working their bodies and HCBS and his Staff working on their game/playing style (they must buy in to DEFENSE first and play unselfish, motion-oriented Hi/Lo Offense) -- along with the continued emergence of Ellis and Tharpe and whatever 'pleasant surprises' we get out of AWIII, Traylor and Lucas -- I am confident this will indeed provide a year of special memories that everyone expects.

I, for one, cannot wait to 'get this party started' . . . RCJH!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Who is that other guy in the photo...Vice-President Joe Biden??!!

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

"Will they be a team and who is going to be the point guard and whoever the point guard is, can they get them into what they need to get them into and get everybody lined up talentwise?"

UMMM...It's unquestionably Naadir Tharpe. He's going to be one of the best point guards in the nation. I didn't know that was a question.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

You haven't been paying attention. Lots of people are questioning PG.

Personally, I think Coach tweaks things and has Wayne and Andrew initiate the O a bunch more (see Jordan's Bulls) and has Conner or another sharpshooter prowling the arc.

chriz 1 year, 3 months ago

Where has Cindy Self been these days? Seems like I haven't seen her in the stands in a while.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 3 months ago

College basketball 2013 review on TV today. Only showed a snipit of Whithey blocking a shot. Did on segment on rushing the court and didn't even have the TCU game. I was surprised! Do we play basketball here in Big 12 country?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

4 plus decades and still rockin' the go-go boots!

Dale Stringer 1 year, 3 months ago

Rio, please consider Emporia State. After last year, they need the help. And it is D-II. You can still jump to D-I without the year wait.

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

AW in house ... Couldn't be better news .. Welcome to Jayhawk Land

Rock Chalk

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Gary, I'd love to get an article that addresses what type of workouts/conditioning the basketball players are doing over the summer. How structured are their workouts- do they get to practice with coaches daily? Will they practice specific plays/sets or is it more loose?

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

Can't believe Gottlieb questioned who our PG would be. Anyone would assume that the job is Tharpe's until proven otherwise. I don't think that will happen. I look for very good things from Na.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't understand why everyone thinks Mason will be playing so much backup next year? Isn't Frankamp theoretically the better prospect? I haven't really watched any videos of either. I agree though, I can't see anyone taking the starting spot from Tharpe.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Where's Jaybate? I know he cant resist the temptation to wax eloquent KU ball.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm trusting coach Self to be able to blend the great talent he has this year into a cohesive, well-disciplined team that will capture their tenth Big 12 Championship and Bill Self's second National Championship. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, go KU.

JJHAWK 1 year, 3 months ago

My fault really. Ever since we signed Wiggins I've been burning candles.

Woo Hoo!