Friday, June 7, 2013

No time to lose: Transfer Tarik Black already working hard

Memphis transfer Tarik Black conducts an interview inside Allen Fieldhouse on Thursday, June 6, 2013.

photo

It hasn’t taken Kansas University basketball newcomer Tarik Black long to invest himself fully in strength coach Andrea Hudy’s weight program.

“Three days in a row now ... it’s serious, and I love it. It’s what I need. I can feel it right now, and I can see it right now. Over time, I’m going to develop and get better,” said Black, KU’s senior transfer from the University of Memphis, who says he has reported to campus for summer school at 6-foot-9, 260 pounds.

“By the time the season starts, the measurements will be different, so look out for new numbers,” added Black, immediately eligible for the 2013-14 season thanks to a rule that allows transfers to play without delay provided they have earned an undergraduate degree.

A recent Memphis graduate in the field of organizational leadership, the 21-year-old Black plans to lead a young KU team.

“Even though I’m new to this program, I’m not new to college basketball. I’m not new to big games. I’m not new to taking over games. I’m not new to anything that has to do with the college level,” said Black, who averaged 8.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while coming off the bench in 27 games and starting five his junior season for the Tigers (31-5).

“I have experience to spread. I’m already spreading it. I’m not saying I’ll step into the gym as a leader. I have to earn that role and earn my keep. I have to earn guys’ respect for me and (have the) coaches expect to trust me, that I’ll be a leader and not steer guys wrong, which I plan on doing. It’s not going to happen tomorrow. I wouldn’t call me a leader just yet.”

Still, just a few days into the first session of summer school, Black has been not been shy around KU’s five freshmen on campus. The sixth member of the freshman class, Andrew Wiggins, is in his home country of Canada.

“He’s definitely one of the oldest in the room,” freshman guard Wayne Selden said of Black. “He’s definitely leading us and helping us. In three days, I’ve got some good advice already.”

Such as ... “different stuff, not basketball, but different stuff,” said Selden, who has also been impressed with Black during pick-up games.

“Powerful. He can go get the rebound. He’s strong,” Selden said emphatically.

Black signed a financial-aid agreement with KU on May 20, choosing the Jayhawks over Duke, Oregon, Ohio State and Georgetown. On Thursday, he for the first time explained what went into his decision. He had waited until reporting to campus to agree to his first interviews as a Jayhawk.

“For one, the masters program that provides me what I want to do, assures me I’m going to learn something new for my future and what I want to do in my future,” Black said.

After what he hopes is a long pro career, he plans to open his own nonprofit organization.

“Looking at basketball, I’m just looking for an opportunity to propel myself into the situation I want to be in, which is to try to get to the next level,” Black said. “More important, just to win big at the collegiate level and be the best player I can be at the college level.”

A Memphis Ridgeway High graduate who was ranked No. 47 nationally by Rivals.com in the Class of 2010, Black said it was difficult to leave coach Josh Pastner’s program.

“Memphis is my heart and soul. It was more so telling my city, telling my family, which is not only my blood family but just my family sitting in Memphis — the Tigers — everybody, that I made a decision to go to another university,” Black said. “It hurts, but I had to make the best decision for myself.

“If I’m really truthful, I’ll tell you what I’ll miss the most ... I’ll miss looking up in the stands before every game, seeing my mom standing there and my brothers and my father and looking up and blowing them kisses, blowing my mother a kiss, my brother giving me a look like, ‘Yeah, little brother, you just did it.’ But I’m older now. I’m out here now. I made a decision for myself. It’s time for me to finish and accomplish what I set out to do.”

Black said he knew KU was the school for him on his campus visit earlier in May.

“We had to drive from the Kansas City airport. We saw a sign that said, ‘Lawrence.’ My dad said, ‘That’s my name,’” Tarik said of Lawrence Black. “Coach (Kurtis) Townsend said that’s the name of the city as well. Coach Townsend said, ‘It’s only right.’”

Black’s older brother, Bilal, who played college ball at Langston University in Oklahoma, helped Tarik choose the number he’ll wear at KU — 25. Tarik (pronounced TAR-ick) wore 10 at Memphis.

“He said, ‘You should go to 25. I feel it’s right for you,’” Black said. “He said, ‘2 times 5 equals 10 anyway, so you’ll still have your number on.’ I said, ‘Cool, so I’ll go to 25.’”

He thinks his one and only season at KU will be special.

“We’re young but so talented, and Andrew Wiggins has not even got here yet,” Black said. “Even without him being here (currently), I see us being one of the top teams in the country because I played the top teams in the country. I understand what the talent is like on those teams. We possess that. We just have to mature.”

A reporter surmised that Black “must be smart” to have earned an undergraduate degree in three years.

“I’d rather be called ‘intelligent’ over ‘smart,’ but I’m both,” Black said with a smile. “Just putting in a lot of hours, understanding there’s a goal and I have to reach it ... accomplishing what I set out to do. It’s willpower, knowing I wanted to graduate in three years, sticking to it and getting the job done.”

“It’s been a great experience,” Rivals.com’s No. 12-rated player in the Class of 2013 said of his first days in Lawrence. “Just getting together with the guys, just hanging out with the guys, and we’re just trying to become one team. That’s all it is right now.”

Comments

David Leathers 1 year, 6 months ago

"Selden, a 6-5 guard from Boston who will wear jersey No. 1 at KU, also met the media Thursday."

Mark Kelly 1 year, 6 months ago

There was an article a week or two ago detailing what numbers players were going to wear this year. Naadir let Selden have #1... I can't remember what he switched to though

Bill Skeet 1 year, 6 months ago

“We’re young but so talented, and Andrew Wiggins has not even got here yet.”

And so begins the 2013-14 season.

Is it ok to have basketball goosebumps in June?

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Bskeet, it's not only okay, I'd say it's required! How could you not have goosebumps after reading that?

David Leathers 1 year, 6 months ago

Completely off subject, but the guys at ESPN seem to think that Jake Heaps is the 3rd best QB in the Big XII. Here's the link:

Al Martin 1 year, 6 months ago

The guys on Austin sports radio were going nuts about that yesterday. The attitude was basically, "how could anybody pick a Kansas quarterback over anybody?". It would certainly be nice if we could wipe a little of that smug off of them this year.

plivvy 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it'll happen. Jake Heaps is the real deal. I am a huge BYU fan (from whence Heaps came) and there is very good reason he was the #1 QB coming out of high school. He will thrive under Weis. I will be surprised if he doesn't end up in the NFL.

chezlog 1 year, 6 months ago

Only an intelligent person knows that there is a difference between smart and intelligent. Go show 'em Tarik!

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

Did I miss the article that reported that the new freshman had arrived on campus? I was waiting for that, but it seems they're all there already (except of course Wiggins). Can't wait to see them all playing together!

Adam Collins 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't see an article, but if you follow them on Twitter, they were all writing about leaving for Lawrence.

Adam Collins 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't see an article, but if you follow them on Twitter they were all writing about leaving for Lawrence.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

bad_dog 1 year, 6 months ago

I seem to recall seeing a post or two about that...

always_correct 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for helping me get my fix. Please feel free to feed my addiction as often as possible.

David Hall 1 year, 6 months ago

IF MRS ANDREA HUDY'S KEEP IT UP WITH THE STRENGTH WEIGHT PROGRAM THE TEAM WILL BE JUST FINE

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Keep Calm and Turn the Caps Lock Button off Son

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

Blackmild, I predict you will explode at Late Night.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

Tarik is going to explode this year, and pull all the young guys along with him. Last year was just a wasted dormant period for him, and he's already making up for lost time. We are going to have one of the most dominant front courts in CBB, and then there is the potential NPOTY.

KJD 1 year, 6 months ago

Several good quotes that is starting the fire for 2014 KU round ball FANaticism!

“Powerful. He can go get the rebound. He’s strong.” AND "We’re young but so talented, and Andrew Wiggins has not even got here yet. Even without him being here, I see us being one of the top teams in the country because I played the top teams in the country. I understand what the talent is like on those teams. We possess that. We just have to mature."

Just keep working team and we'll love every minute of it. FANtastic. Go KU!!

RockChalk0808 1 year, 6 months ago

I would like to thank Jesus for allowing me the to be born in the State of Kansas and giving my family the wisdom for encouraging a fanatical zealotry for all things KU basketball. Amen. Praise be to Jesus for all things, great and small.

P.S. By the way Jesus, thanks for Andrew Wiggins, too. And Pop-Tarts. I love Pop-Tarts. Amen.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 6 months ago

100% agreed that Jesus made a good choice in choosing Andrew Wiggins school for him - it's such an important thing...

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

What an impressive, mature and, dare I say intelligent young man! I'm so psyched after reading his comments!

I especially love that he's already not only thinking about what he'll do after his basketball career is over, but planning to start a non-profit organization. How many players have you EVER heard say something like that when they're still in college (or technically grad school)?

And one other thing, for those of us who are not religious: it's refreshing to hear that he's sharp and together and that he's not thanking Jesus for everything.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Quite possibly he is thanking Jesus quietly, and is just being careful to not offend non-believers - if so, he succeeded!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 6 months ago

He may also may be thanking Buddha, Allah, a rock, Zeus, an Icelandic elf or one of those hundred or so Hindu Gods. Or, he may just be saying what he's saying....

Adam Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Icelandic elf prayers...

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

What do you have against last years four seniors? Just because they all thanked a higher being for giving them talent and opportunity; they're all schlubs? Open your mind, even if your soul is lost, maybe that way you don't become a vessel for the devil.

Adam Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

How exactly does one become a 'vessel for the devil' -- is it a petition process or something? It's not one of those pyramid schemes is it...?

bad_dog 1 year, 6 months ago

I seem to remember something about "Sympathy for the Devil". Perhaps that's a prerequisite?

Adam Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

If listening to the Rolling Stones is the prerequisite for being a devil vessel then I'm in like Flynn...

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Lack of morals leading to poor decisions, like the b who killed my brother. If you have no conscience what's to stop you from being so destructive? I don't care what you do in your personal life, just leave me out of it. God has many forms. If you want to call a tree God and worship it fine. If you want to deny God then fine, but don't discount all who believe in something intangible as morons. Faith is difficult. And if I'm wrong and there is no God does it hurt you in some way? Remember you are the one who started this conversation, not one who believes.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

That's all I will say on here. The only reason I brought up religion was in response to your vile pretendman.

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

vessel for the devil...classic unintentional satire!

Let's keep all the gods people worship (and there have been thousands through the ages- so the list of opportunities to offend is impossibly long) off this site if we can, and we can keep our poor lost souls in Basketball mode for a little longer

KJD 1 year, 6 months ago

Jesus was just trying to spread the Love. I have no problem with that, ever.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm sure that Jesus is glad that you are speaking for him and accounting for his actions. I'm always amazed at the high level of expertise Christians have in describing, precisely, what a spirit is doing with his time and energy each day.

KJD 1 year, 6 months ago

Actually I'm Buddhist. If you read the Gospel according to John you'll clearly see the logic that Jesus is Love. It's pretty simple.

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Looks like Kevin Young passed the fro torch on to Black for another year.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

I'd rather be called intelligent...you already proved that when you picked KU!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

How can he be considered smart or intelligent when he left a Nike school for an Adidas school? (turn on your sarcasm font decoders)

Bruce Dial 1 year, 6 months ago

...and we just re-upped through 2019?!!! Ugh! It's not that I have sneaker bias (heck, the last few pairs I bought were NewBalance), but it's more often than not that if a high-school phenom is going to let shoes play a decision in a school, they're going with the swoosh.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank The Lord for people like Actorman, who bring up the relevance of our Father in heaven, in everything he does. Not only does he show how fearful he is of organized religion, he shows how insignificant he can be by criticizing things he can't possibly trust or understand. Than you, Actorman, for keeping Christ in the forefront. It's people like you that help the cause, by attacking it.

Rock, Chalk, Jayhalk!

Jason Renfrow 1 year, 6 months ago

Might I suggest enrolling in some college-level science courses....or maybe just read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins....religion is the antithesis of intelligence.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

Didn't realize the nonreligious were so well represented on this board. If I may, when asked about his jumper, Ray Allen had this to say,

“People always want to say that shooting the basketball is God-given and everyone isn’t blessed with that,’’ Allen said. “I say, my ability to shoot is my ability to want to go out and work every day at it, prepare, and just stay zoned in every day.’’ Thanks, Ray.

ABeesus 1 year, 6 months ago

Because anyone can shoot like Ray Allen, if they just "..go out and work every day at it..." Riiight.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Ray: "What you are is God's gift to you. What you make of yourself is your gift to God."

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for the quote, jkilgore. I was already a fan of Ray Allen, but now I'm a much bigger fan.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Religion is terrible. I hate religion. But, there's a big difference between religion and believing in God.

I know, I've not believed and now I do believe. Believing is better.

Like the Progressive commercials.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 6 months ago

God is Not Great is also a worthy read and Bill Maher's movie is quite informative.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

townshiprebel: The idea that religion is the antithesis of intelligence would come as a big surprise to some of the greatest scientists in history: Newton, Pascal, Descartes, Galileo, Kepler, Copernicus, Einstein, etc. Maybe the problem is that you only took college-level science and never bothered with college-level theology courses. Christianity, or any other religion, is likely to seem simplistic if you are comparing an elementary-school version of it against a college-level version of a scientific discipline. But that's not a knock against the religion. Faith and reason go hand in hand if you take the time to truly understand.

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Long story short.....Faith and reason DO NOT go hand in hand.

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

It doesn't even matter that you are misrepresenting Einstein to be a supporter of religion. It adds zero weight to your argument. The listed individuals made enormous contributions to our understanding of the universe. These geniuses discovered truths about the world, and then used reason and evidence to fully demonstrate these truths to others, such that their ideas became common scientific knowledge. Now, the big question is: Q: Do the religious views of a scientific genius carry a little more weight? A: Only if they arrived at these views using similar rigor and independently verifiable lines of evidence as they used for their scientific discoveries. They did not, or at least weren't successful demonstrating any such evidence in support of their religious ideas. If they had, then there would be some amount of widely accepted knowledge about God, that is backed up by some verifiable evidence. If you believe in X, despite having no evidence in support of this belief, then you are believing something for no reason at all. Generally, when theists are unable to provide a reason for their belief, they simply invoke "faith", i.e. "believing without evidence, or in the face of evidence to the contrary". But since "faith" is not a method of determining anything, the theist is back at square one. What led to the unsupported believe in the first place?

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Long story short.....Faith and reason DO NOT go hand in hand. EITHER: You "take the time to truly understand", in which case, you are exorcizing REASON, and you, therefore, do not need faith in order to believe. OR: You believe without understanding, in which case, you are of course exorcizing nothing other than blind, arbitrary, FAITH.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 6 months ago

Funny you should mention education, townshiprebel, as the education I carry with me is a degree from the very university which we both support. I probably have more credit hours than you and all of your cronies, combined. So, which college-level science courses would you recommend, as I have probably exhausted the curriculum guide at the University of Kansas. Also, as for yourself, I would recommend that you do some of your own thinking, as Richard Dawkins seems to have a very limited opinion base when trying to describe his point that intelligence has an antithesis. Perhaps Television is your antithesis to intelligence?

Jason Renfrow 1 year, 6 months ago

You obviously didn't pay attention during your exhaustive curriculum. Any lower level Biology course blows the feasibility of creation out of the water....as one small example.

Not that it really matters to you....but I was raised in a Baptist church and went to a private church school from K thru 9th grade. I've studied a lot of theology and the Bible....even the "rape my daughter and not these male angels" part (Story of Lot)....and the "hey son lets take hike up this mountain, I'm going to kill you" part (Abraham).....and my favorite...the "let's pack millions of species of animals into a boat that have been collected by one man's family...not to mention the food and provisions to care for these animals for over a year" part!

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Good call. I'm sure Jesus is rooting for you up in heaven. He's sitting there saying "Yeah! Get on the internet and call people insignificant! He's insignificant because he criticizes things, that's the message I want to spread!"

Jesus was about love, not gang promotion.

Only a fool WOULDN'T be fearful of organized religion. Ask countless alter boys.

I'm not trying to be "funny" with that last sentence. It's the truth. If it offends you, then GOOD. You SHOULD be offended by the pure evil of those priests.

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

I was quite sure that my comment would create a firestorm, because there's nothing more predictable than the blind zealotry of Jesus freaks.

To quote my favorite bumper sticker: "Religion: A big fight over who has the best imaginary friend."

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone got any guesses how many points they think Christ would put up if he were to play today?

WWJA - "What would Jesus average"?

Also, what style of play...would he be an unselfish distributer, or would he take it all on himself to get it done?

Would he give up his body to take a charge?

finestack 1 year, 6 months ago

Tarik is uber intelligent; HCBS is superhuman smart for landing him. Come on, organizational leadership? Kid making great long term career choices and at the same time using gut and some humor for the small stuff (jersey number)? Ridonkulas!

doolindalton 1 year, 6 months ago

Tarik,

Shoot a thousand free throws a day. Make at least 700.

Jeff Suther 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm gonna be ticked if black is starting. Kevin Young 2.0. No one really knows why he's out there.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

"No one" is absurd. I'm someone. I know. Reread the article.

RockChalk0808 1 year, 6 months ago

If you can't figure out why KY was starting, you either didn't watch any of the games or don't know what you're talking about.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

you don't know what you're talking about.

Young was one of the best players on the team.

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's see, consistent intensity, the best rebounder on the team, a leader, what possible reason could there have been for KY to be starting?

And oh BTW, Black chose KU over Duke, among other teams. But then what does Coach K (or Coach S, for that matter) know?

They really need to add a "thumbs down" icon so we can more adequately respond to idiots like pessimistic.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

Kid's gonna be a monster.

I for one am gonna jump on the "Second Coming of Jeff Graves" train. We need someone who's only role is to bang around down low, get rebounds, and maybe a few points here and there.

...not to mention bring a little intimidation.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm betting that Tarik is going to be much better than Jeff Graves. At least more consistent.

COHawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Did you even see Jeff Graves' senior season? If Black is 2/3 of Graves, it will be enough.

Bruce Dial 1 year, 6 months ago

If he's even a poor-man's Richard Scott (even though he's bigger) I'm going to salivate every game!

KemDooKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's keep it down a little - there's still UK, Duke, UL, UNC, Mich St, UA, and many more that will also be putting on a jersey this year.

Tarik is not Tim Duncun Wayne is not Koby Embiid is not Ewing Frankenstein is not Godzilla

Adam Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

I have it on good authority that Frankenstein is in fact Godzilla!

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope we finally win another NCAA Championship. It's been so long.

ccarp 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome, Tarik! I bet your family will enjoy seeing you play in Allen Fieldhouse too! Rock Chalk!

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I am so excited about the upcoming sports year! I will be at Memorial stadium for a game for the first time since 2004. And I will be at Allen for a game for the first time since Nov. 2008. Can't wait!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] 6'-9", 260 lbs. and Ms. Hudy is going to make Tarik stronger???? YIKES!!!!

2] New recruiting directive; whenever we bring a new recruit in with his parents, make sure the Mom or Dad's name is covering the Lawrence sign!! i.e. Welcome to Elmer, Kansas. :)

3] "Stuff" translates "dedication", "toughness", "focus", "hustle" and "pride".

4] Adidas for another six years...please tell me that DOES NOT include those alternative rags. [And KU's were among the best of the bunch!!]

5] It will be fun to measure where Tarik's impact on the team will be most pronounced...on the court or in the practice gym!!

6] The next new reality game show...Christians versus Atheists. The object of the game is for the Christians to prove there is a God and for the Atheists to prove there isn't. The final episode will be aired during the Apocalypse.

7] The best "all new lineup" this side of UK - Center/Jo Jo, Power Forward/Tarik, Wing/Andrew, Shooting Guard/Wayne and Point Guard/Frank, First off Bench/Conner.

RockChalk0808 1 year, 6 months ago

Responses to:

1. As long as the jerseys say "Kansas" and Adidas is keeping the program funded and HCBS happy (paid), I could not care less what we wear and I almost bought those shorts.

2. The battle rages on over at reddit.

3. No way Frankamp is starting over Tharp. I'm high on Conner, (I'm from Wichita and have seen him play many times, he will benefit greatly from a year lower in the rotation) but mark my words, Tharpe will end up being one of Self's top 5 PG before he leaves. I think he has a monster year and really becomes the leader the team needs. And where is Perry? He can score at will against anyone in the country (except maybe Marcus Smart.) I hope Perry starts at the 4 and Tarik starts at the 5, or if Embiid is ready, a big "if", Tarik is first off the bench to provide "stuff", getting ~25 mins/game. I'm most excited to see Perry and Tarik on the court together, as they should compliment each other perfectly. Tarik is the banger that frees Perry up for some finesse/shooting and is smart enough to get open when they double Ellis, so he should get some easy dunks.

Edit: It auto-corrected my response numbers, but they should be (in order) #s 4, 6 and 7.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Regarding your number #3, my friend..I was merely using only new people to fill in a rotation. Obviously, Naadir and Perry will be starters..it was merely a literary ploy to emphasize the strength of our newbies...obviously, by your response my ploy didn't work....sorry!! :)

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

FYI Atheists do not need to prove there isn't a god. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim that a god exists.

To be an atheist, you just have to NOT believe in a god. Atheism makes no claims, and therefore, requires no justification.

However, if an atheist were to claim that there isn't a god, then he/she would need provide support for this belief.

Example: I claim that sun-tanning is correlated with development of Alzheimer's later in life. ....Now, do you believe that sun-tanning is correlated with development of Alzheimer's later in life?.....If no, is it your job to prove that sun-tanning DOES NOT correlate with Alzheimer's?....No

In the same way an Atheist does not need to defend a non-belief that there is a god that exists.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Tharpe should have changed his number to 42 because 4 x 2 equals 8 and that is the number of assists Tharpe is going to average this year. 42 is also a great number because Tharpe will 4.2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Mind Blown right now!!!!!!!!

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Good article, Gary Bedore. If bashers had not run Keegan off this site, we might be seeing more daily articles re our newcomers. Fans are eager to read these "bonding" articles. (Oops! I notice that TK DID return today.)

Michael Auchard 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyway, I have it from a pretty good source that he almost never reads posts to his online copy. Which is probably a good thing, as I've mocked him relentlessly over the years...

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

KU has his graduate program. Father is named Lawrence. They got to meet Kurtis Townsend, currently the best non AAU coach recruiting in the country.

After realizing how intelligent and mature he is, I feel that this might have been part of his disagreement with coach Donny Osmond. As a sophomore, he was second team all-SEC. Tarik seems like a very proud man who want to be a community organizer with his own non-profit organization. He was punished for his actions and paid a price. Yet after being set on the bench he still averaged over 8 pts a game and almost 5 rebounds. Then He got his starting job back.

This man has gone against Anthony Davis as a starter a couple of times. Welcome, welcome, welcome. Keep hanging with Hudy, learn the offense and get every rebound.

Morri1314 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice to read an article and not cringe when reading the player's comments. This young man comes off as high school and college educated.

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Hear, hear (although it's funny that your handle is Morri, speaking of cringe-worthy comments)!

karken1992 1 year, 6 months ago

I didn't not want Black here. More of a meh feeling after reading his stats and his supposed issues with Pastner. After reading this article I changed my mind.

orbiter 1 year, 6 months ago

DanR: Coaches Self, Krzyzewski, Matta and Altman all wanted Tarik to play for them, but yeah, you are probably a better judge. What have those dilettante hacks ever accomplished in the way of building basketball teams?

DanR 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree... he should have gone to Oregon, but I guess KU has a better graduate program.

Andrew Moore 1 year, 6 months ago

intelligence = capacity to become smart

smart = possession of knowledge

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

intelligence = the physiological effectiveness of information processing

smartness = a mental skill utilizing intelligence, and experience

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a feeling his parents were Hill Street Blues fans.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 6 months ago

Tarik is going to turn Ellis into a man. Self brought Tarik here to push Ellis around and force him to get aggressive and stronger. I feel like he's right on the edge of being great, one little push and he's in the tank with guys like TRob, Simien, Peirce, Collison, Morris brothers, ect. I would mention Withey, Aldrich, and LaFrentz but they fit into a different category.

Mark my words, 3 guys will have break out years this year and be stars.

1. Andrew Wiggins - How can he not be a star. Next Lebron? How about the new Andrew Wiggins. After this year there will only be the next Andrew Wiggins.

2. Naadir Tharpe - This kid is flat out tough and doesn't give less than 150%. He hardly turns the ball over, and if he wants to score, he will score. He will develop into the best point we've had since Miles and Robinson.

3. Perry Ellis - Tarik is going to push him around all summer and Ellis is going to say, "no more". The day he says "no more" is the day Ellis becomes a man and Self says "ohhhhhh yeaaa". Ellis has the biggest upside on the team, and once he breaks out, he's going to be a freaking monster. When we look back at this year, we won't think about just Andrew Wiggins, we will think about the star Ellis turned into and how he was the team leader.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Very possible that Selden and/or Embiid could be added to your breakout list by March....

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Add poison ivy, acne and the shingles to that break out list as well!!

DanR 1 year, 6 months ago

"Tarik is going to turn Ellis into a man..."

I doubt that. At Memphis, TB didn't competed for minutes in practice or in games. Out of high school he was supposed to be a beast, but ended up a 3-year bust. After three years of putting forth no effort, I'm glad he's managed three entire DAYS of conditioning with Hudy (and can already see the results!). That's a nice start.

He can change his jersey, but all the optimism of Self, Krzyzewski, Matta and Altman can't change a leopard's spots.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm talking about his size ... you know, Ellis banging around with a 260 lb guy might bruise him up a little bit, cause him to get bigger, more aggressive, and player at a higher level, thus turning him into a man. I'm not saying Tarik is an allstar, I'm saying his size alone will improve our team. Does that make more sense?

eric poncharello 1 year, 6 months ago

What is this quietly? Yeah, if he was muslim you would be ok with that and not mention quietly! NO offense! !@#$

eric poncharello 1 year, 6 months ago

Will see how TAR-ik shows how mature he is, when he doesn't get his way?? I'm not sold on his attitude and were a team fodder.

bad_dog 1 year, 6 months ago

Question or declaratory statement. You be the judge.

Adam Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

Not sure man, but we do know that he 'were a team fodder'...

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

As orbiter put it so perfectly earlier:

davehawkSWK 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow!! A lot of posts concerning religion. Religion is an ism; believing is a mindset in which one may or may not believe in a higher being, or a rock, as one chooses. However, it does behoove one to "believe" that religion is dangerous when taken in the context of the "believers" in the Mid-East. It has been proven over and over again that some people on this great planet feel that violence in the name of God is the only route. That is not what I believe, as I believe that my God is one of peace and love. I can only hope that those of the Mideast principles will turn to destroying their own within their country and leave ours alone!

What a great article from a young man who has his future aligned with his present standards. So refreshing to see a young man who has the: Knowledge--Knowing what he wants after basketball and the: Wisdom - -Understanding what it will take to get there.

I look forward to the 2013-2014 season!.

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

The problem that I have with religion as it is generally applied with athletes is that they always mention Jesus. If there was a more balanced approach and players sometimes thanked Allah, or Buddha, or even just GOD occasionally, it wouldn't bother me as much. In fact I'm not even an atheist, I'm an agnostic. But it's the constant drumming of Jesus, Jesus, Jesus that irritates the crap out of me, as if nothing else is acceptable.

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Being an agnostic simply means you do not KNOW if a god exists.

But the question is, "do you BELIEVE that a god exists"?

If the answer is "Yes", then you are a THEIST

...if the answer is NOT "Yes", then you are an ATHEIST.

If you are a person who does not actively believe that there is a god, but you do not claim any knowledge either way...then you are an "AGNOSTIC ATHEIST."

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

Actorman, your comment highlights the distinction between Equality and Freedom, and how they are often at odds with each other. The constitution grants everyone freedom of religion, and it just so happens that 80-90% of Americans choose Christianity. I have no problem with that whatsoever, because I love freedom. What I infer from your statement is that your idea of an ideal society would be a balanced proportion of people following different religions. The only way to achieve that would be for the government to suspend freedom of religion and assign people to a religion to maintain that equality. Hence, equality is at odds with freedom, at least in this case. Freedom is what we should strive after, not equality. (Too bad nobody is going to see this post now)

mgphill 1 year, 6 months ago

Chill man. He's just saying that the Jesus fad is getting old....

GabrielMichael 1 year, 6 months ago

I almost feel bad for Kentucky not having a leader like Tarik... I said almost.

His attitude is invaluable...

RCJH!