Wednesday, June 5, 2013

KU-UNC connection continues with Brad Frederick hire

From left, Vanderbilt's Shan Foster, Dan Cage, Alex Gordon, Ted Skuchas and assistant coach Brad Frederick cheer from the bench in the closing moments of their game against George Washington University during the first round of the NCAA East Regional basketball tournament at Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, March 15, 2007. Vanderbilt won the game, 77-44.

Former Lawrence High basketball standout Brad Frederick, who worked for former Kansas University assistant Kevin Stallings the past 14 years as a full-time aide at Vanderbilt, is headed to North Carolina to serve as director of basketball operations for former KU coach Roy Williams.

Frederick, 36, replaces former KU assistant Joe Holladay, who has retired after working 10 years for Williams at KU and 10 at Carolina.

“I’ve known Brad for 25 years,” said Williams, who was hired as KU coach by Brad’s dad, Bob Frederick. “He’s been like a part of my family going back to our years in Lawrence. The fact he played at and graduated from Carolina (1999) makes it an easy decision to add him to our staff. He knows he has big shoes to fill, but I am confident our players, coaches and staff will truly enjoy working with him.”

Brad, who led LHS to the 1995 state championship, said his dad, who died in 2009, would have been proud to see him go to work for Williams. Brad’s mom, Margey, lives in Lawrence.

“He’d be excited for me,” Brad said. “He was not only fond of coach Williams but all the guys on the staff — C.B. (McGrath), coach Holladay, coach (Steve) Robinson and of course coach Stallings (at Vandy). I obviously had a great experience here in college (two Final Fours playing at UNC). The opportunity to be back at such a great school and such a great program ... to work with coach Williams makes it hard to believe.”

Brad Frederick said his goals remain becoming a head coach someday.

“The biggest change will be I won’t be recruiting and coaching on the floor,” Frederick said of his director of operations role. “Hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to coach some point down the line. At the same time I’m excited to be at Carolina and work with these guys. I had a great experience at Vanderbilt. Coach Stallings was great to me and my family (wife, two children). I learned a great deal from coach Stallings.”

Meanwhile, Holladay retires at the age of 65.

“I am ecstatic for Joe and know that I have been extremely fortunate to have him as part of our staff for these 20 years,” Williams said. “He is one of the best coaches and finest human beings I have ever been around. He was a security blanket for me in good times and bad. It will be a huge challenge for us to replace all that Joe did for our program and the university. Kansas, UNC and all the players and coaches at both universities are so fortunate that he was part of their lives for so long. I will miss him tremendously both professionally and personally, although I know he is looking forward to watching the Tar Heels for many years to come.”

Holladay said: “It’s hard to put into words how much I have enjoyed the young men and their families who have played for us. I have also enjoyed working with the other assistant coaches, the basketball office staff, university administration and the staff at the Smith Center. I am looking forward to spending more time with my kids, grandkids and wife, Roi, who has been such an important part of my career the last 44 years.”

NBA looking at Larry?: The Brooklyn Nets and the Philadelphia 76ers have both contacted SMU coach Larry Brown about their coaching openings, Zagsblog.com reports. Zagsblog said a third team, possibly the Los Angeles Clippers, has also contacted the 72-year-old Brown. Zagsblog said Brown is happy at SMU and “excited” because his son, L.J., is an incoming SMU freshman who will study filmmaking. ESPN’s Chris Broussard tweeted that the Nets’ top three choices are Phil Jackson, Brown and Brian Shaw.

Comments

Gavin Fritton 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't want to be "that guy" who acts cranky toward Roy, but this does not maintain the KU-UNC connection. I'm happy for young Mr. Frederick, but he didn't go to KU. He isn't a Jayhawk. He's a Carolina grad. Good for him. I'm glad he got a good new job. Honest. I say this with no rancor, but this doesn't have anything to do with KU. If Roy hired a different Kevin Stalling assistant, would that get such a prominent placement on the KU Sports website? Doubtful. I understand all of the history with Brad, his father, Roy, Stallings and everything else. But this story doesn't involve anyone who has lived in Lawrence for over a decade.

I know it's summer and the Jayhawk faithful are starving for content, but can't we find some real news concerning real Jayhawks?

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

The connection has to do with the late father having been a KU AD and the son being a UNC alum.

Gavin Fritton 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, I understand that. Which is why I said the part about the history with his father. But his dad, god bless him, isn't the story here and Brad isn't a Jayhawk. This is a non-story as far as I'm concerned. To the extent it IS a story, it's not one that deserves so much coverage as this one received. A blurb would have more that sufficed.

kevinatc 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree with gavinsq who cares what Brad Fredericks is doing right now or that matter what Roy is doing. Find something new to write about this story is a month old.

741hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

"KU-UNC connection continues with Brad Frederick hire."
Not a connection and not in favor of connecting with UNC in any way.. . . anyway.

andrewJHWK 1 year, 1 month ago

Its the off-season. There isn't much to write stories about.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Real news? Conference realignment? Seriously, it's not going away. To the B1G I say!

BewareofOz 1 year, 1 month ago

Look the first poster pretty much said it all. But look, the original KU-UNC connection was built upon a feeling of good will and respect between the two schools. To me that connection died due to the manner in which Roy left KU for UNC. To put it bluntly, UNC and Dean Smith tampered with our beloved KU during our quest for a national championship. UNC and Dean Smith could have been classy and waited one more week before making national headlines with their need for a new coach. For a school like UNC that always seemed to pride itself for doing things the right way, they certainly dropped the ball that time.

I was angry with Roy initially because of his quick exist out of Dodge without really thanking us fans properly. But I'm long over that now. I will always love Roy for what he did for KU. In the final analysis, Roy was and is a good guy. Dean Smith probably is too, but he chose to disrespect his alma mater and the legacy of James Naismith and Phog Allen. I really think that Dean Smith was the culprit here. Perhaps his actions destroyed the KU-UNC connection.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 1 month ago

I couldn't agree more. I have said the same thing many a times. Dean Smith cost KU a national championship in 2003 in New Orleans. Roy was so distracted with Dean following him around like a puppy dog and it carried over significantly to his players. If Dean had any respect for KU ( and Doherty - a former player at UNC and KU assistant) he could have waited one week to pull the trigger. I don't think Dean should ever be recognized for anything at KU anymore.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

Uh, Smith played for our 1952 national title team and 1953 national runner-up.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

And it's foolish to blame Dean Smith for the 2003 national title loss. We lost that game because we couldn't guard Syracuse's perimeter shooters or hit our free throws.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Oz's comments are right on the mark with me.

JayhawkUntoDeath - that's easy to say. With that logic, nothing outside of what is on the floor has any impact. Players are driven to poor performances by a number of things .. girlfriends, illness, etc. There are reasons why people don't perform. Your comment is just on the performance itself. It's like saying "it's hot outside" without recognizing that the sun has something to do with it. You have to ask "why."

But we will never know. One thing we all can probably agree on is that the big "distraction" didn't help.

The best comment is by bjejayhawk69 - "If Dean had any respect for KU ( and Doherty - a former player at UNC and KU assistant) he could have waited one week to pull the trigger."

Smith had no respect for anyone other then his selfish interests, and he could have waited a few days. No one was going to hire Williams away from KU before Smith would have had a chance to try to hire Williams. It was a ridiculous move, and one that plainly bothered Roy. He wanted the UNC job for sure, but was clearly irritated by the timing.

741hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Agree. Agree. Smith was the culprit. Roy's father was an alcoholic with whom he had a poor relationship. Smith became Roy's father figure.. Smith "called his little boy home" and Roy couldn't resist. (Understandable) Smith's lack of respect for KU was more than disappointing.

And, as icing on the cake, after that fiasco, Smith wore a carolina blue blazer to AFH for the last reunion he attended.

Sam Constance 1 year, 1 month ago

Here here, this and HEM's follow-up are both spot-on.

Dean Smith is a self-absorbed [expletive] and there is nothing more to say. Not only did his behavior in 2003 show a lack of respect for his alma mater, but it showed a lack of respect for the very guy he wanted back so badly. Either Smith is hopelessly oblivious to the world around him and the basic concept of cause and effect, or he just doesn't care about anything but himself.

Someone who cared about Roy and wanted him to succeed would have wanted him to win that 2003 title after 15 years of trying and having to deal with the "Best to never win a title" talk. Personally, I think Smith actually wanted to create turmoil and interfere with KU's chances, because I think 1) he was afraid Roy might stay if he got to finally win that elusive title at the school to give him his first coaching opportunity, and 2) he didn't like the idea of Kansas' legacy inching closer to the legacy he had established at UNC.

As far as I'm concerned, he'll forevermore be known as Mud Smith.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

And because of this, I never root against Roy, but I always root for Duke against UNC now.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

One of the reasons Roy left was His AD friend was no longer there. When Roy left, I was upset like others and healed when he wore a Jayhawk sticker and cheered during the National Championship.

The 3 schools with the most victories in College Basketball all have the arenas they play in named after Jayhawks. The two not named Allen sat on the bench.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

I think Williams leaving had more to do with the poisoned relationship with Al Bohl than it did with Dean Smith. Even Bohl being fired before Williams left couldn't undo the damage.

ccarp 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm just thankful we have Coach Self!

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

So am I, but I am also thankful for the time we had Coach Williams.

Tomas 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas National Championships:

Bill Self : 1 (and counting)

Roy Williams: 0

Any questions?

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

Final Fours:

Bill Self = 2

Roy Williams = 4 (plus 3 more at UNC)

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Williams = 15 fantastic years at Kansas. Not winning a national championship while here had more to do with bad luck/bad matchups than Williams, don't you think? He didn't miss the free throws against Syracuse.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

What Roy did recruiting less than half the country (note: way more folks live east of the Big Easy than West, so Dean got the bigger half) is one of the great coaching jobs with one hand tied behind his back of all time; that should always be the lead on any story about his years at KU. Put another way, after Roy systematically put KU second behind UNC, he coached his tail off. He would surely have the most rings of his generation had he been able to recruit the whole country for 15 years at KU.

Greg Lux 1 year, 1 month ago

For hopefully one last time I will say this .. Roy left KU for ONE reason and only ONE reason. He got an offer to coach at his alma mater and that is the job he had dreamed of for most of his adult years. How can anyone be mad at a man who follows his dreams. Roy gave KU 15 of the best years of his life. He loved KU. But when offered his dream job for the second time he took it. I say good for him and I say thank GOD Bill Self loves KU also. KU has established a dynasty in College Basketball and nothing in the future will bring it down .. NOTHING.

Rock Chalk

bad_dog 1 year, 1 month ago

It's all about the timing of Dean Smith. No need to repeat yourself; everyone gets it that Roy left to rejoin his alma mater.

Having said that, some were annoyed because at the time Roy was initially approached he publicly announced his next new conference would either be to announce his firing or retirement.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Actually, I think he wanted to be near his family as much if not more than UNC. And if a man denies the love of his family, (plus a helluva job to boot) who would respect that? Everyone talks about basketball "family" which is cool and everything, but nothing comes between my family and me, and I expect this is how most people feel.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Very few people took issue with Roy going to UNC because just about everyone knew that was the only job he would ever leave KU for. It was how the the move to UNC went down that made a lot of people angry because as has been mentioned by quite people on here, there are many who believe the timing cost KU the 2003 title.

BigBlue4KU 1 year, 1 month ago

I find the story interesting. The relationship with UNC is a positive one with a very long history. Coach Smith has been a longtime contributor to KU as was Coach Williams. Coach Williams and Bob Frederick, as well as Coach Smith were all close friends. Bob's son moving forward with a successful coaching career IS interesting to many KU fans. If you aren't interested, don't read it. Last.I heard there is no requirent that one read the entire LJW sports page. Thank God for all of these men; they have ALL contributed in a positive way to KU's legacy!

Jim Williamson 1 year, 1 month ago

Dean took Roy back because his ego -- Dean's -- couldn't bear to see his program struggle anymore. There may have been a component in there that Dean felt a debt to UNCCH, but the biggest component of this was Dean's ego.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Just because Brad's dad hired Roy doesn't make it a KU connection. Brad's dad was the only connection. When he went to Carolina, he officially broke that tie.

jgkojak 1 year, 1 month ago

So Holladay's wife is named Roi... I'm not even going to try to make the oedipal connections going on in that situation.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Ok, slayr I will embrace the sniveling, dysfunctional, wearers of Sears powder blue double knit blazers and their cancer causing economic base that contributed to 15 years of KU only recruiting half the flipping country and so missing out on at least one, if not 2-3 rings, plus nicotene dependency and cancer deaths, as a result. I have a real soft spot in my heart for a state that is the home of Cancer Road, er Tobacco Road. :-)

P.S.: Let's all chip together and buy Brad a Sears powder-blue, double-knit blazer, one of those Dean Smith autograph models with the designer nicotene patches built into the lapels. I pledge the first nickel.

P.P.S.: What the hell! Let's buy him a whole suit with a vest and a dacron clip on tie!

P.P.S.: And how about a pack of Lucky Strikes/LSMFTs.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Jay, I'll pitch in for a pair of Corfams.

Robert Robinson 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree with drgnslayr. The "blue blood" term will always be used. Im ok with everytime "blue blood" is said when talking about UNC that KU will be added to that conversation. And yes, I wished bad things upon roy when he left. But if I could go back now, I would have packed his bags, shook his hand, thanked him for his service and drove him to the airport. We ended up with, in my opinion, THE BEST OF THE BEST. also, I thought the Jayhawk on his shirt in 08 was pretty damn classy.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll make this simple:

-Sever all ties with KU/UNC "Connection". Sorry, don't want CB Mcgrath, Jerod Haase ever on the sidelines at Kansas. I just don't want there to be a "Connection" so the media and journalists out there do a story on trying to make a "Connection". No more freaking "Connections" with UNC. Who gives a bleep about North Carolina!

-UNC Athletic Deparment-No class

-Dick Baddour-No Class

-Dean Smith-No Class and no respect for his alma mater. Carolina Blue Jacket at the 2007 celebration of the 1952 Championship team? Really Dean?

-Roy Williams-All Class, but his antics have grown annoying over the years and his favortism towards UNC shines through most. Do you blame him? Not one bit, but I want someone "Pro Kansas".

-I agree with Oz's and HEM's statements above.

-I hate "Connections"! We are Kansas gosh dangit. It's the Kansas "Connection".

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

What irked me the most was that Roy said that KU was making a terrible mistake if they didn't hire Coach Holiday. 10 years later, I 'm glad we didn't.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll take Jerod Haase back as a coach any day. Most pictures of Jerod were of him horizontal to the ground diving for a loose ball. He is a Mark Turgeon clone.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Just my opinion -

There are four truly blue blood programs - Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

There are later arrivers to that group, but blue bloods nonetheless - UCLA and Duke.

And there are a few more programs that have earned their place as elite over the last 30 or so years - Michigan St., Connecticut, Louisville, Syracuse and Arizona.

Reasonable?

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 1 month ago

HEM, very reasonable.

There's an entire other category to be considered, former elite programs that have fallen out of place in the last 30 years. St. Johns and DePaul come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd place Louisville above UCLA with three national Cs since 1980.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Indiana is in that second tier with Duke and UCLA. They do have the 1940 and 1953 titles, but they only had 3 other tournament appearances in the 30 years from the time the tournament started until Bob Knight took over. KU, UNC, and Kentucky all had more than double that.

Virgil_Caine 1 year, 1 month ago

Congrats to Coach Holladay on his retirement. I think it's sort of fitting that his final game on the bench was a loss to KU. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he took a head coaching job somewhere down the road, depending on what his personal priorities are.

I remember yelling at the TV when Roy said "well, I would hope Coach Holladay is being considered for the Kansas job," in his initial Chapel Hill press conference. Um, no. Take your henchmen and GTFO. Of course, we were all a little more bitter at that point, since we didn't know how bright our future was.

That said, I always respected Holladay, and even respected him for sticking with Roy in our bitter divorce. In the end, Roy's departure worked out for all parties involved. Except Al Bohl, and that's okay.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

Mr. Caine, didn't you use to work on the Danville train?

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Hypothesis: Roy was forced out by Hemenway, because Roy refused to recruit the whole country.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 1 month ago

Okay, how about now?? Nap time, everybody? Not much to talk about here, so I'm signing off.

Rock cha..... . . . . . . . Zzzzz

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Three straight to Izzo?!!?? No wonder I respect Izzo so much.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

And don't forget that John Wooden also helped build Memorial Stadium.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Proposed Kansas bumper sticker: Get Izzo.

As in "Get Capone."

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 1 month ago

I completely agree with the several postings referencing the way Roy left Kansas. I love Roy and detested the way UNC broke the news. I also hated Dean wearing that blazer to the 52 reunion. However, it was Dean that recommended Larry Brown. It was Dean again that recommended Roy. I'm sure all the posters love Brown and Williams. We have Dean to thank for both.