Wednesday, June 5, 2013

KU-UNC connection continues with Brad Frederick hire

From left, Vanderbilt's Shan Foster, Dan Cage, Alex Gordon, Ted Skuchas and assistant coach Brad Frederick cheer from the bench in the closing moments of their game against George Washington University during the first round of the NCAA East Regional basketball tournament at Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, March 15, 2007. Vanderbilt won the game, 77-44.

Former Lawrence High basketball standout Brad Frederick, who worked for former Kansas University assistant Kevin Stallings the past 14 years as a full-time aide at Vanderbilt, is headed to North Carolina to serve as director of basketball operations for former KU coach Roy Williams.

Frederick, 36, replaces former KU assistant Joe Holladay, who has retired after working 10 years for Williams at KU and 10 at Carolina.

“I’ve known Brad for 25 years,” said Williams, who was hired as KU coach by Brad’s dad, Bob Frederick. “He’s been like a part of my family going back to our years in Lawrence. The fact he played at and graduated from Carolina (1999) makes it an easy decision to add him to our staff. He knows he has big shoes to fill, but I am confident our players, coaches and staff will truly enjoy working with him.”

Brad, who led LHS to the 1995 state championship, said his dad, who died in 2009, would have been proud to see him go to work for Williams. Brad’s mom, Margey, lives in Lawrence.

“He’d be excited for me,” Brad said. “He was not only fond of coach Williams but all the guys on the staff — C.B. (McGrath), coach Holladay, coach (Steve) Robinson and of course coach Stallings (at Vandy). I obviously had a great experience here in college (two Final Fours playing at UNC). The opportunity to be back at such a great school and such a great program ... to work with coach Williams makes it hard to believe.”

Brad Frederick said his goals remain becoming a head coach someday.

“The biggest change will be I won’t be recruiting and coaching on the floor,” Frederick said of his director of operations role. “Hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to coach some point down the line. At the same time I’m excited to be at Carolina and work with these guys. I had a great experience at Vanderbilt. Coach Stallings was great to me and my family (wife, two children). I learned a great deal from coach Stallings.”

Meanwhile, Holladay retires at the age of 65.

“I am ecstatic for Joe and know that I have been extremely fortunate to have him as part of our staff for these 20 years,” Williams said. “He is one of the best coaches and finest human beings I have ever been around. He was a security blanket for me in good times and bad. It will be a huge challenge for us to replace all that Joe did for our program and the university. Kansas, UNC and all the players and coaches at both universities are so fortunate that he was part of their lives for so long. I will miss him tremendously both professionally and personally, although I know he is looking forward to watching the Tar Heels for many years to come.”

Holladay said: “It’s hard to put into words how much I have enjoyed the young men and their families who have played for us. I have also enjoyed working with the other assistant coaches, the basketball office staff, university administration and the staff at the Smith Center. I am looking forward to spending more time with my kids, grandkids and wife, Roi, who has been such an important part of my career the last 44 years.”

NBA looking at Larry?: The Brooklyn Nets and the Philadelphia 76ers have both contacted SMU coach Larry Brown about their coaching openings, Zagsblog.com reports. Zagsblog said a third team, possibly the Los Angeles Clippers, has also contacted the 72-year-old Brown. Zagsblog said Brown is happy at SMU and “excited” because his son, L.J., is an incoming SMU freshman who will study filmmaking. ESPN’s Chris Broussard tweeted that the Nets’ top three choices are Phil Jackson, Brown and Brian Shaw.

Comments

William Blake 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Love'em now... finish the separation of the blue bloods from the herd... then hate'em later because our future rivalries will be these other blue blood programs.

Some day we'll have hatred (for all the other blue bloods) far exceeding what we had (and always will have) for Mizzou. Just look how easy it is to accomplish... having Cal at UK has created a big spark in rivalry with us and UK. Ultimately, our tight, little peer group will focus mostly on tight, little peer competition and that is the formula for creating hated rivalries.

We'll always have some who just want to see good basketball and will not accept animosity as fuel for rivalries... but I'm talking about the general fan bases here when addressing the hatred.

This is where I see college basketball going. It will be media-driven (money-driven) until the point that even most blue blood fans get sick of it...

Might as well create a new verb to label it "Kardashianized."

Yes... it will get that sickening.

Suzi Marshall 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I completely agree with the several postings referencing the way Roy left Kansas. I love Roy and detested the way UNC broke the news. I also hated Dean wearing that blazer to the 52 reunion. However, it was Dean that recommended Larry Brown. It was Dean again that recommended Roy. I'm sure all the posters love Brown and Williams. We have Dean to thank for both.

Ralster Jayhawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I dont mind Izzo or Calipari. Its the result on the hardwood that matters, and they are worthy competitors... If we lose, we will surely be back again. Period.

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Proposed Kansas bumper sticker: Get Izzo.

As in "Get Capone."

Ralster Jayhawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Maybe the people under age 25 need to be reminded of college bball's history and connections, so be it. They do need to know KU, UNC, KY, UCLA, Duke, IU are/were royalty programs. I like to remind UNC and KY fans that their home courts are named for KU guys. Of course, they like to remind everybody of their Win total, which is fine, but really, as huge as those numbers are, that is splitting hairs. Would be nice if royalty programs acted like we have a lot in common--> after all, what teams know the most about having a "target on your back" no matter who you play? (Answer: bluebloods). If you are going to lose a game, wouldnt you rather lose to UNC or KY or Duke, rather than UNI or VCwho or TCwho? There is little face lost in losing to a fellow blueblood. Of course its nice to beat them, too. Im sure Roy+UNC hate KU&BigBadBillSelf right about now (3 UNC-season-ending defeats since 2008). Just like Self likely sees Izzo and 3straight defeats to MichSt as a real nemesis. Its part of the fun of the game.

Scott MacWilliams 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Okay, how about now?? Nap time, everybody? Not much to talk about here, so I'm signing off.

Rock cha..... . . . . . . . Zzzzz

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hypothesis: Roy was forced out by Hemenway, because Roy refused to recruit the whole country.

wrwlumpy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Caine, didn't you use to work on the Danville train?

Virgil_Caine 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats to Coach Holladay on his retirement. I think it's sort of fitting that his final game on the bench was a loss to KU. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he took a head coaching job somewhere down the road, depending on what his personal priorities are.

I remember yelling at the TV when Roy said "well, I would hope Coach Holladay is being considered for the Kansas job," in his initial Chapel Hill press conference. Um, no. Take your henchmen and GTFO. Of course, we were all a little more bitter at that point, since we didn't know how bright our future was.

That said, I always respected Holladay, and even respected him for sticking with Roy in our bitter divorce. In the end, Roy's departure worked out for all parties involved. Except Al Bohl, and that's okay.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Just my opinion -

There are four truly blue blood programs - Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

There are later arrivers to that group, but blue bloods nonetheless - UCLA and Duke.

And there are a few more programs that have earned their place as elite over the last 30 or so years - Michigan St., Connecticut, Louisville, Syracuse and Arizona.

Reasonable?

wrwlumpy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I'll take Jerod Haase back as a coach any day. Most pictures of Jerod were of him horizontal to the ground diving for a loose ball. He is a Mark Turgeon clone.

wrwlumpy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

What irked me the most was that Roy said that KU was making a terrible mistake if they didn't hire Coach Holiday. 10 years later, I 'm glad we didn't.

Chris Shaw 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I'll make this simple:

-Sever all ties with KU/UNC "Connection". Sorry, don't want CB Mcgrath, Jerod Haase ever on the sidelines at Kansas. I just don't want there to be a "Connection" so the media and journalists out there do a story on trying to make a "Connection". No more freaking "Connections" with UNC. Who gives a bleep about North Carolina!

-UNC Athletic Deparment-No class

-Dick Baddour-No Class

-Dean Smith-No Class and no respect for his alma mater. Carolina Blue Jacket at the 2007 celebration of the 1952 Championship team? Really Dean?

-Roy Williams-All Class, but his antics have grown annoying over the years and his favortism towards UNC shines through most. Do you blame him? Not one bit, but I want someone "Pro Kansas".

-I agree with Oz's and HEM's statements above.

-I hate "Connections"! We are Kansas gosh dangit. It's the Kansas "Connection".

Robert Robinson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree with drgnslayr. The "blue blood" term will always be used. Im ok with everytime "blue blood" is said when talking about UNC that KU will be added to that conversation. And yes, I wished bad things upon roy when he left. But if I could go back now, I would have packed his bags, shook his hand, thanked him for his service and drove him to the airport. We ended up with, in my opinion, THE BEST OF THE BEST. also, I thought the Jayhawk on his shirt in 08 was pretty damn classy.

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok, slayr I will embrace the sniveling, dysfunctional, wearers of Sears powder blue double knit blazers and their cancer causing economic base that contributed to 15 years of KU only recruiting half the flipping country and so missing out on at least one, if not 2-3 rings, plus nicotene dependency and cancer deaths, as a result. I have a real soft spot in my heart for a state that is the home of Cancer Road, er Tobacco Road. :-)

P.S.: Let's all chip together and buy Brad a Sears powder-blue, double-knit blazer, one of those Dean Smith autograph models with the designer nicotene patches built into the lapels. I pledge the first nickel.

P.P.S.: What the hell! Let's buy him a whole suit with a vest and a dacron clip on tie!

P.P.S.: And how about a pack of Lucky Strikes/LSMFTs.

William Blake 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I think everyone is missing the point with this "connection" concept.

The underlying concept is to connect a handful of what is considered "blue blood" programs together.

This is a media-based concept and I advise everyone in here to embrace it, because this concept will play a big part of where KU basketball goes in the future.

Until recent, I wouldn't be able to recall the conversation of KU being a "blue blood" program (even though it always was).

We should embrace all these "connections" for many reasons, including: landing top-tier recruits, invitations to exclusive "blue blood" tournaments, extended national TV coverage of games, added revenue to the program, increased power perception for conference realignment, and finally, inclusion as one of the top-tier programs (in the future) that will completely separate these programs from the rest.

So let's all sip tea in the garden and play along with the fantasy that will deliver us to that coveted crown of immortality.

Pass the biscuits, please... and... carry on!

jgkojak 10 months, 3 weeks ago

So Holladay's wife is named Roi... I'm not even going to try to make the oedipal connections going on in that situation.

FearlessJayhawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Just because Brad's dad hired Roy doesn't make it a KU connection. Brad's dad was the only connection. When he went to Carolina, he officially broke that tie.

Jim Williamson 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Dean took Roy back because his ego -- Dean's -- couldn't bear to see his program struggle anymore. There may have been a component in there that Dean felt a debt to UNCCH, but the biggest component of this was Dean's ego.

BigBlue4KU 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I find the story interesting. The relationship with UNC is a positive one with a very long history. Coach Smith has been a longtime contributor to KU as was Coach Williams. Coach Williams and Bob Frederick, as well as Coach Smith were all close friends. Bob's son moving forward with a successful coaching career IS interesting to many KU fans. If you aren't interested, don't read it. Last.I heard there is no requirent that one read the entire LJW sports page. Thank God for all of these men; they have ALL contributed in a positive way to KU's legacy!

Greg Lux 10 months, 3 weeks ago

For hopefully one last time I will say this .. Roy left KU for ONE reason and only ONE reason. He got an offer to coach at his alma mater and that is the job he had dreamed of for most of his adult years. How can anyone be mad at a man who follows his dreams. Roy gave KU 15 of the best years of his life. He loved KU. But when offered his dream job for the second time he took it. I say good for him and I say thank GOD Bill Self loves KU also. KU has established a dynasty in College Basketball and nothing in the future will bring it down .. NOTHING.

Rock Chalk

Tomas 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Kansas National Championships:

Bill Self : 1 (and counting)

Roy Williams: 0

Any questions?

ccarp 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm just thankful we have Coach Self!

wrwlumpy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

One of the reasons Roy left was His AD friend was no longer there. When Roy left, I was upset like others and healed when he wore a Jayhawk sticker and cheered during the National Championship.

The 3 schools with the most victories in College Basketball all have the arenas they play in named after Jayhawks. The two not named Allen sat on the bench.

BewareofOz 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Look the first poster pretty much said it all. But look, the original KU-UNC connection was built upon a feeling of good will and respect between the two schools. To me that connection died due to the manner in which Roy left KU for UNC. To put it bluntly, UNC and Dean Smith tampered with our beloved KU during our quest for a national championship. UNC and Dean Smith could have been classy and waited one more week before making national headlines with their need for a new coach. For a school like UNC that always seemed to pride itself for doing things the right way, they certainly dropped the ball that time.

I was angry with Roy initially because of his quick exist out of Dodge without really thanking us fans properly. But I'm long over that now. I will always love Roy for what he did for KU. In the final analysis, Roy was and is a good guy. Dean Smith probably is too, but he chose to disrespect his alma mater and the legacy of James Naismith and Phog Allen. I really think that Dean Smith was the culprit here. Perhaps his actions destroyed the KU-UNC connection.

Gavin Fritton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't want to be "that guy" who acts cranky toward Roy, but this does not maintain the KU-UNC connection. I'm happy for young Mr. Frederick, but he didn't go to KU. He isn't a Jayhawk. He's a Carolina grad. Good for him. I'm glad he got a good new job. Honest. I say this with no rancor, but this doesn't have anything to do with KU. If Roy hired a different Kevin Stalling assistant, would that get such a prominent placement on the KU Sports website? Doubtful. I understand all of the history with Brad, his father, Roy, Stallings and everything else. But this story doesn't involve anyone who has lived in Lawrence for over a decade.

I know it's summer and the Jayhawk faithful are starving for content, but can't we find some real news concerning real Jayhawks?