Saturday, June 1, 2013

KU football cracks Hiawatha DT Peyton Newell’s top six

Kansas University’s emphasis on recruiting in-state talent appears to be working, as Charlie Weis’ football program on Saturday night made the list of the final six schools vying for the services of Hiawatha High standout Peyton Newell.

Newell, a 6-foot-3, 280-pound defensive tackle ranked by Rivals.com as the fourth-best prospect in Kansas in the Class of 2014, revealed his top six schools via Twitter.

Joining KU in making the cut were: South Carolina, Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas State and USC.

Newell’s new list is a trimmed-down version of his original 34-school list. Of those 34 — dozens more showed interest early on — more than 30 were BCS programs, with nearly the entire Big 12 and Big Ten offering Newell scholarships. Newell said the prospects of early playing time and quality relationships with the coaches played a key role in his recruitment to this point, and both were a big reason KU made the cut.

“I definitely want to play early and that’s something that coach (Buddy) Wyatt and coach (Clint) Bowen, as well as coach Weis have pounded into my head, that I’d make an early impact,” Newell said. “That stuck in my mind.”

Another thing that helped KU was the fact that Newell comes from a KU family. Both of his parents went to KU along with nearly 20 other relatives.

Asked if KU had a legitimate shot of landing him or if including the Jayhawks was merely an act of kindness and loyalty, Newell did not diminish KU’s place.

“They actually do,” he said. “KU’s a school I grew up with and is kind of my family school and hometown school. KU’s definitely important to me.”

Another thing that’s important is the role KU plays in honoring Newell’s mother, Missy, who passed away when he was 5 after a battle with breast cancer.

“It’s always been in the back of my mind to go to KU and make a big difference early on (for) her,” Newell admitted. “So that’s definitely something that sticks with me. But I have no pressure to go anywhere. My family’s been great about letting it be my decision.”

It’s not just the Kansas coaches with whom Newell has built strong relationships. Even some of the current and future players are getting in on the act of trying to convince him that KU is the right pick.

“Relationships are a key part of the process,” Newell said. “And me and (2014 commitment) Traevohn Wrench (of Gardner-Edgerton High) have gotten close through the process. I know every time I see him he’s always saying something about me becoming a Jayhawk.”

Newell has a busy summer of workouts and team camps ahead and plans to announce his pick on Aug. 30.

Comments

NebraskaJayhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't see us getting this guy. Have talked to guys in the Hiawatha school system and without elaborating details, he definitely is not leaning towards Kansas. Hope I'm wrong...

Terry N Tom Denner 10 months, 3 weeks ago

This kid could or should be Chris Martins replacement on the end. Stay true to KU Peyton and prolong the family tradition at KU !!! Will enjoy my season tickets watching you level the QB in the near future.

JHWKDW 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I hope for goodness sakes he signs here. That be a big step for the team.

You know the person we all should be thankful for folks? Sheahon Zenger people!! Like I have said before, I am so glad recruits and many others athletes are looking not just at KU Basketball, hey I and everyone love the tradition of the game of Basketball and its history here, but Zenger has made a commitment to improve all of Sports at Kansas.Just look at what happened in the other sports since he has gotten here, like Baseball, Softball, Women's Volleyball, Women's Basketball, and Track all had very impressive seasons.Hey he also got a new Track, and that means no more track on the Football field, in addition to a new Softball field.I think upgrades to Memorial, and Hoglund are next.But back to football I think KU football will improve if HCCW sticks with the plan hes got we give him time to prove himself.

Hey I hate to say this, but facts are facts Look at what KSU did in terms of triple crown of Men's sports (Football,Basketball, Baseball) One day I hope that is us not them (gag)!

Well they are one, but a team that KU should emulate should be more like the University of Louisville.They were always known as a "Basketball School" like KU. Look at them now. the Football team beat Florida in the Bowl game, we all know what the Basketball team did, and their Baseball team is real good.If KU wanted a team to emulate it be Louisville.

Randy Bombardier 10 months, 3 weeks ago

It is pretty easy to see that this young man values loyalty and that means there is only one choice and we all know where that is. Sometimes making a choice like this seems like a winding road but it always leads to the same place.

terry800 10 months, 3 weeks ago

like Mike replied I'm dazzled that a mother able to earn $9166 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you read this site ==> www.jam30.ℂℴm

ILoveLawrence 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I went to school with Peyton's mom Missy and I am glad to see he is making her proud.

Lance Meier 10 months, 3 weeks ago

hey, JHWKDW the Big XII is doing just fine. Have great contract with ESPN and Fox, had article in Ok paper that gave $ amounts and KU-ksu both got $22million and it will B more next year... It was national news and the schools are doing just fine. Stop acting like those MORONS in nebraska they act like they have to B the top dog in this league (they never were) T E X A S is HUGE one reason they "do" have a $300 million contract from ESPN, the channel can only carry 1 maybe 2 FB games a year. Not an assest to the FB team, but more to the University... Neither KU nor any school should be pissed they might get a little less then another school, WV and TCU got only $11million for only being in the league for 1 year. The BIG XII is in a great posiiton right now, other conferences are scrambling for members, the confrerence is dong just fine... Just need to go out and compete on the field and in the classroom.

CrystalJones 10 months, 3 weeks ago

With that many Hawks in the family, this kid ain't going anywhere but KU. He'll be flattered by the big names on his list, but in the end in-state players like this almost always go where they feel most comfortable. I'm sure crimson & blue have been running through his veins all of his life.

In other words, welcome to Lawrence, Peyton!

Randy Maxwell 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Other than Nebraska justwhat did the Big 12 lose?

JHWKDW 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I hope he comes to KU.Wow what a pick up he would be. It be great to have some home grown guys here.Hey you can replace that thug Martin! Well what a good distraction from all that drama and B.S.But It would also not be tempting for him to go to Georgia, South Carolina, Southern Cal, heck even Nebraska

I wish the Big 12-2 was a more stable conference.This where the lack of strength of our conference becomes a factor. Compared to the B1G, Pac 12, and SEC. Well the state of this lousy conference, well we are all behind the eight ball in getting talent.Thank you for nothing Texas Longhorns and AD Dodds

texashawk10 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Is he going to be a DE or DT in college? Rivals has him listed as a DE and ESPN has him as a DT. Either way, if early PT is important to him, KU is probably where he's going to get a chance to play the earliest as a RS freshmen when this group of JuCo's are mostly gone.

Jason Keller 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If he trusts Lane Kiffin to hold true on the scholarship offer, he is crazy. Lane over signs like no other and then picks who he really wants and runs off the rest. I feel like it's KU and South Carolina with Georgia kicking in the back door. I just can't see K-State with that many Jayhawks in the family. Then again, they're finalists for a reason.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Just being considered with those schools...Charlie don't play. M

As much as I'd love this kid to be a jayhawk, when USC or the SEC (Missouri excluded) come calling you better answer.

kay_you 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Listen to your family Peyton. 20 relatives can not be wrong.

Phil Leister 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Couldn't blame the kid if he picks either USC or Georgia, but keeping a local product in Lawrence would be huge for Weis.

Jason Keller 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt Tait ‏@mctait 29 May

Great talk w/ #KUfball target Peyton Newell. Real impressed w/ his maturity & demeanor. Says he'll still announce Top 5 June 1 via Retweeted by Peyton Newell

I see you out there Matt, going hard for KU Football.