Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Withey signs with Pelicans

The New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday signed former Kansas University center Jeff Withey to his rookie contract, the NBA team announced in a news release.

Terms were not disclosed, according to Pelicans’ team policy. The rookie minimum salary for the 2013-14 season is approximately $490,000.

Withey was selected by Portland with the ninth pick in the second round of the 2013 NBA Draft. He was traded to New Orleans as part of a three-team transaction that sent Tyreke Evans from Sacramento to the Pelicans, Robin Lopez from New Orleans to Portland and Greivis Vasquez from New Orleans to Sacramento.

Chalmers visits Topeka: Former KU combo guard Mario Chalmers completed his foundation’s series of charitable events in Kansas for the summer of 2013 on Tuesday. He personally delivered a check for $2,500 to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Northeast Kansas in Topeka.

The fifth-year Miami Heat player who started on KU’s 2008 NCAA title team, held his National Championship Golf Tournament on Monday at Alvamar, his VIP Mixer on Sunday at Cider Gallery, his celebrity all-star game last Thursday at Olathe East to go with his camp for youths Monday through Thursday of last week.

In all, $15,000 was raised at the VIP Mixer, foundation organizers said, with $5,000 ticketed for “Mario’s Closet,” which offers cancer patients at Lawrence Memorial Hospital low-cost accessories such as wigs, cosmetics, bras and prostheses.

“It’s come along great. We raise money for it each and every year, adding stuff every day,” Chalmers said of Mario’s Closet. “People are loving it and enjoying it.”

Tourney update: KU, which will play in the Battle 4 Atlantis over Thanksgiving week in Bahamas, will compete in the Old Spice Tournament in 2014 and Maui Invitational in 2015, KU officials said Tuesday. The Jayhawks, who have not yet selected a tourney for 2016, are likely to return to the Battle for Atlantis in 2017.

The Old Spice Classic is held Thanksgiving week at the HP Field House in ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex near Orlando, Fla. The field for the 2013 tourney is Butler, LSU, Memphis, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Saint Joseph’s, Siena and Washington State. Next year’s tourney field has not yet been announced.

KU will play Wake Forest in this year’s Battle 4 Atlantis opener on Nov. 28, then meet either Villanova or USC in a semifinal or consolation bracket game on Nov. 29 with final round games the 30th.

KU assistant Jerrance Howard was asked at Monday’s Chalmers golf event if such tournaments are good bonding experiences for teams.

“That’s a good word,” he said of ‘bonding.’ “With the games and practices you are there almost a week. You are in the hotel room a lot and with the preparation, you have no chance but to bond. Coach (Bill) Self ... when I was with him as a player (at Illinois) ... all his teams are close-knit teams. He preaches family. It will be great to go there (Bahamas) and see what we are made of, what we are good at and how we can get better.”

Comments

Sean Doherty 1 year, 3 months ago

Great news for Withey! He won't be a rookie for long anyways. He'll be a regular player for many years. And his base pay is great. Sure beats being the highest paid sand volleyball athlete (where he could be). http://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/earnings/espn-sports-2011.htm

2 years ago.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

And when he retires from basketball, he can go do volleyball, like the Big Dipper.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Good to hear about Withey. Thats very good. Wishing both Jeff and Ben Mac well in the big time. I hope to hear that Releford and KY earn spots somewhere soon. Be it in the League or over seas. Rock Chalk Pro Hawks!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

What kind of new car does a Footer drive? Not the one Shaq did the commercial for. Car and Driver magazine showed that to be fake.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Warm sunny days, a dune buggy. Inclement weather, something with 20" tires and a bubble replacement for a moon roof.

brooksmd 1 year, 3 months ago

There are no warm sunny days down here in NOLA. Hot and hotter. Humid and more humid. Today you step outside for 5 minutes, go back inside and change your shirt. Hate the summers.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 3 months ago

No kernel sanders, "wide reciever lumpy", u r wrong, car and drivers is right... You tried to lie about this, why? Why try and trick your fellow KU alumni?

meremy 1 year, 3 months ago

Very bizarre. Outright false statement, indeed. What's your beef with Buick?

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

I simply wonder why a person should lay down to drive a sedan.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

I bet KU plays in the CBE in Kansas City in 2016. That tournament seems to be be on a 3-4 year cycle with KU, KSU, MU, and WSU now getting in the rotation. Old Spice has had some decent fields, but is usually middle of the pack when it comes to strength of the field it brings in. Maui is a almost always one of the top 2-3 tournaments and I'm looking forward to seeing what the competition ends up being for Maui. I'm also going to be curious to see what KU officials do if one of these tournaments, CBE being the most likely, tries to add Missouri to its field in the same season KU is in it.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm waiting for them to make another appearance at the Garden.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

I think KU and Self won't allow that to happen. It will come when the NCAA Tournanent see $$$$$$$$$ and then we'll just have to Kick Ass again.

hawkdiek 1 year, 3 months ago

I am just about done coming to this site. It is rediculous to have to answer ad questions just to read an article.

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 3 months ago

Waaaaaaa, In my opinion it still beats sites with banner ad popups or video popups. it takes two seconds to click an answer.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 3 months ago

Just put in anything if it bugs you so much. The article appears instantly, I don't think the 3 seconds is that big of an issue, you aren't Bill Gates, and even if you were I highly doubt even he would care.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 3 months ago

Just put in any old answer. The article appears instantly, I don't think the 3 seconds is that big of an issue, you aren't Bill Gates, and even if you were I highly doubt even he would care, or give two $#|+$ enough to comment...

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish I could have read these comments..knowing Cali, I'm betting they were classics.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Online versions of newspapers are now liimiting how much you can read without a subscription. If that happens, a lot of us will stop coming to this site. I'm thankful for a free KUSports.com.

Benz Junque 1 year, 3 months ago

And it is "rediculous" that people can't seem to figure out how to spell the word "ridiculous".

ShockNAwe 1 year, 3 months ago

I always answer "no" or "not applicable" or whatever answer looks like the easiest way to avoid further questions.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

The NSA .. er, Google .. (are they different?) is building their data base. If you answer wrong, they will think you're a pregnant southern woman with diabetes and a lisp, who drinks energy drinks, all while searching the internet on your ipad for travel destinations and facial cream.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes HEM, the NSA and Google are different. One has jurisdiction and is incompetent and the other is Google.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

So in other words, they'll think you're a Missouri fan? HEY-OH!

classof94 1 year, 3 months ago

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 3 months ago

You are out of line class of '94! Looks like the moderator is not happy today. Tell him the local dish washing job at Paisanos opened up, he shd be stoked.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm thinking bout going to this tourney in the Bahamas. Is there anybody here that can offer advice for getting tickets and places to stay?

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

KU plays in the thanksgiving tournament at 2:30 if I remember correctly. Hmmmm, isn't that about the time most of us sit down to feast on turkey and stuffing? I just gave my wife a heads up so that she can begin planning so we get turkey and basketball.

kcjhawk59 1 year, 3 months ago

Hope this isnt one of the MetroSports games! That would mess up a Thanksgiving meal.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

It still amazes me how many don't realize the purpose of the survey questions. Google is paying the LJW to do this market survey of predominantly male sports fans. The LJW agreed to do this because KUSports is not free to operate and Google is now covering a significant, if not all, amount of the cost of operating this site. Their alternatives to generate the money for this site would either be A) significantly more advertising on the site itself, or B) making KUSports a subscription site which would be guaranteed to drive away the casual reader. If I'm on my computer and have to answer a question or two to enjoy this site for free to myself, I'm perfectly willing to do so.

John Myers 1 year, 3 months ago

Amen. Some people just have to complain about everything.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't you think that Google is given access to our personal information from our registrations as part of this deal?

Meaning, that Google will have a name, and can gather information based on that name? Creating a database. We've all provided email addresses, etc., too.

I think this is much more than just generic info gathering of male sports fans.

Benz Junque 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't recall giving my name when I registered for this site, just an email address. I use a junk email account for all online sites, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

HEM, if Google wanted personal information, there's much easier ways to do that than this website which doesn't get much traffic compared to sites like Amazon or Facebook. If someone used a Gmail account to sign up for an Amazon or Facebook account, Google already way more information on someone from sites like that than they would ever get from this site. Google also has their Chrome web browser, Gmail accounts, and Android phones to get information from. I've also had to answer the survey questions when I haven't been logged into this site so how would Google get any personal information from someone when they aren't logged into this site? If Google is getting our personal information, the World Co. is vulnerable to a lawsuit because they've already told us that they aren't giving Google our personal information.

hawkdiek 1 year, 3 months ago

Technically it's completely full. Half with water and half with air.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

As a Chicagoan I still read the ChicagoTribune online, but, most articles now require a subscription. After many years of Wisconsin living, I also like to check the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, particular for Badgers news (sorry, I got hooked while living there) and they now allow 20 articles per month. Well during football and basketball seasons, you can get through 20 articles pretty quickly. So as you said, the surveys are much better than what I face with either of those two papers.

BainDread 1 year, 3 months ago

When you hit your 20-article limit, try deleting your cookies and you'll probably get access to another 20.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll try that, I get around it by going on different usernames on my own computer.

Benz Junque 1 year, 3 months ago

There is no reason to ever have to pay to get anything on the internet.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

No, thank goodness. All of those people out their compiling the information work for free.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

Ellis enjoying the AAU camp in SoCal. Hudy's seems to have done quite a lot with him in the off season.

Anthon Bowleg 1 year, 3 months ago

I can't wait for the tourney in November. I am from the Bahamas and live here graduated from KU in 2007 and never imagined this would happen. If there is a group of jayhawks as i expect I will be glad to arrange a pep rally/victory party at a local bistro. Anyone interested hit me up abowleg@hotmail.com.

There are 5 jayhawk alums from the Bahamas this is going to be awesome.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Wondering if Mike and Debbie Withey will move from Topeka to New Orleans. It's pretty cool they got to see all Jeff's games at AFH. I'm going to miss Jeff's presence in the paint, but am excited about our new roster as well. RCJH!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

They took the photo at the exact time Brannen Greene learned that he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

I met Greene along with Selden, Mason, Tharpe and Traylor at the Rock Chalk Roundball Classic. When we left, I told my wife I was impressed with all the newcomer's except for Brannen. He could have cared less if he was there, let alone that my 5 year old son was right in front of him for a picture. I know he's young. I just hope he gets it figured out sooner than later. So...I was not surprised to hear about the hit and run. I know he has game, but one needs to understand what being a Jayhawk is all about. Most of us would give our left *** to ride the pine and were crimson and blue. I'll be patient.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

Stay Classy, Jayhawks!

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Police say Houston Rockets forward Terrence Jones has been arrested in Portland and accused of stomping on a homeless man's leg.

Police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson says the incident happened early Wednesday outside a downtown nightclub. A sergeant saw the 6-foot-9 Jones walk by a doorway where two homeless men were sleeping and yell "Wake Up!" before lifting his foot and stomping on the leg of one.

Jones was booked into the Multnomah County Jail on a harassment charge.

The homeless man, identified as 46-year-old Daniel Kellerher, had a minor injury that did not require immediate medical attention.

Jones graduated from Portland's Jefferson High School before attending the University of Kentucky.

TheFloater 1 year, 3 months ago

Attending my first late night this year. Any tips on how early to get there? How is the late night experience? Thanks!

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 3 months ago

It's an amaaazing experience! I would get there at least an hour early. I get there about an hour and a half.

VailHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Ahhhhh I'm excited for you! Late Night is the best. I remember going to my first one w Larry Brown and they had to wait till midnight to officially start. Best memory was watching Hinrich steal the show as a freshman.

bennybob 1 year, 3 months ago

Exciting news fellow jayhawks!

He wont say it to the media, but Tyus Jones has a top 3 of Duke, Michigan St. and Kansas!

Tyus just told my brother this during their summer league practice an hour ago.

Duke is still the favorite by far but i'm impressed self and staff have been able to widdle there way into the top 3. The on campus visit is going to be vital.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

The New Orleans Pelicans? Is that really the best they could do? Nothing exclusive to the city but a bird seen at seaports everywhere.