Originally published July 29, 2013 at 11:20a.m., updated July 29, 2013 at 11:34a.m.

KU to play Wake Forest in first round of Battle 4 Atlantis

The Kansas men's basketball team will face Wake Forest in the Battle 4 Atlantis at Paradise Island, Bahamas in November, tournament officials announced Monday. The game will be televised on AXS TV.

Villanova, Tennessee, Iowa, UTEP, Xavier, USC join Kansas and Wake Forest to fill out the tournament field that will travel to the Bahamas from Nov. 28-30.

After their first game, the Jayhawks will square off against either Villanova or USC on Friday, Nov. 29. Tip-off will be 8:30 p.m. CT with a KU victory against Wake Forest or 2:30 p.m. with a loss. The third day of the Battle 4 Atlantis is slated for Saturday, Nov. 30, with four games starting at noon and the championship game beginning at 8:30 p.m.

Battle 4 Atlantis First Round Schedule – Thursday, Nov. 28

Game 1: Villanova vs. USC (live at noon CT on AXS TV)

Game 2: Kansas vs. Wake Forest (live at 2:30 p.m. CT on AXS TV)

Game 3: Xavier vs. Iowa (live at 6 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

Game 4: Tennessee vs. UTEP (live at 8:30 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

Battle 4 Atlantis Second Round Schedule – Friday, Nov. 29

Game 5: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 loser (live at noon CT on AXS TV)

Game 6: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser (live at 2:30 p.m. CT on AXS TV)

Game 7: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner (live at 6 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

Game 8: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner (live at 8:30 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

Battle 4 Atlantis Final Round Schedule – Saturday, Nov. 30

7th-8th Place: Game 5 loser vs. Game 6 loser (live at noon CT on AXS TV)

5th-6th Place: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner (live at 2:30 p.m. CT on AXS TV)

3rd-4th Place: Game 7 loser vs. Game 8 loser (live at 6 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

1st-2nd Place: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner (live at 8:30 p.m. CT on NBC Sports Network)

Comments

podjhwk 1 year, 1 month ago

AXS TV was formerly HD Net. Channel 1106 on Uverse (not sure the channel on other providers).

alittlecurious 1 year, 1 month ago

in Lawrence, KS... AXS TV is WOW cable channel 298!

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks, nuleaf. I clicked on; scrolled down to info box and found AXS on Dish 167 in my region.

krisn99 1 year, 1 month ago

The days are off in the list.

Jesse Newell 1 year, 1 month ago

Fixed 'em. Should be good now.

smscott25 1 year, 1 month ago

This will be our first year attending the tourney... Does anyone have any insight on any of the following topics: Which tower the team stays in What ticket package we should get (entire tourney or single team) Scheduled KU pep rallies or parties Do they clear out stadium between games as it is first come first serve for seats. How is that enforced?

gchawk 1 year, 1 month ago

If it's like Maui, it is first come first serve seating for general admission, which most of the tickets are, and they do clear out the court between games. You'll receive your tickets a few weeks before the tournament, and you just show them at the gate before entering, and then leave after that game. As far as pep rallies, they'll let us know once we get there. I'm sure that they'll keep where the players specifically stay somewhat quiet, but you'll get to see them around the hotel quite a bit, at least we did in Maui. The ticket package really depends on how many of the other games you want to watch, personally we just got tickets for the KU games, but I guarantee you that if you want to see other games while you're there you can easily find tickets. Maybe we'll see you there, should be a blast.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

KU should play Villanova in the second round and either Tennessee or Iowa in the championship. Either way, KU is far and away the best team in the field and should cruise to a victory in the tournament.

bville_hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

You are pretty confident, txhawk10, that a bunch of mainly 1st year players can compete and beat big time programs right out of the gate. I will give you that we have the greatest potential of any team in the field, however I will be surprised (and pleased) if we win this tournament.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

This is a much weaker field than last seasons Battle 4 Atlantis with Duke and Louisville in it. Villanova and Xavier are down from where they normally are, Iowa is a decent team, maybe fringe top 25, and Tennessee is a 20-25 team this year and USC is the worst team in the PAC 12. KU should win this tournament pretty easily.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Even so, I think that's a pretty arrogant statement. bville makes a legit point. This team could struggle early despite the recruiting class.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

How is it arrogant to believe the best team in a tournament is going to win the tournament. That is called confidence, not arrogance.

Phoggy_Notion 1 year, 1 month ago

Confidence is believing you are going to win. Not Claiming you are going to win.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Wake Forest? Gimme a break. They are THE cupcake of all cupcakes right now. I just read a bit on them at the espn.com site. Coach Bzdlick or whoever, used to be the Colorado coach and we stomped on them regardless of what team we fielded. Heck, we could beat them with our scout team. USC, not worried about them at all either. They might be a decent team in the Pac 12 but wouldn't last a minute in AFH. I admit I don't know much about Nova this year but I would guess we are the odds on favorite against them too. This lil tourney will be a good tune up for our young guys.

oldalum 1 year, 1 month ago

I read that article, too, Lulufulu. One of my favorite statements about the situation at Wake Forest was (paraphrased) "what else can I say about Wake that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan."

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

Hit the road 'Hawks. November 22 is Towson in Allen Field house. Then 4 neutral sites, 2 true road games, and 1 month later the Jayhawks return to Allen on Dec 21 to face Georgetown. It's a young team with lot's of new parts and roles to play though this schedule will certainly prepare them for the Big XII experience.

I recently re-watched the 2013 Big XII tournament semi-final and final with an eye on Tharpe and Ellis. It left me feeling even more optimistic, especially about Tharpe, and 2013-2014. All of Perry's early buckets against Iowa State came off of Tharpe making dribble drives into the arc to move the defense, a few of them quick and simple drives that didn't even get a whisper of the paint, and finding Ellis who hit drained several open jumpers from a variety of spots on the floor. Both of them played well throughout both games including Tharpe handling Angel Rodriguez defensively in the Championship game. At halftime in the Iowa State game with our starters in foul trouble, Self told the sideline reporter that Tharpe, Ellis and Traylor stepped up and were strong for the Jayhawks to close out Iowa State in the last 5 minutes of the half. That was a good, senior led Iowa State team with revenge on their minds that Tharpe-Ellis-Traylor exchanged blows with during a crucial part of the game.

The way that 2012-2013 team met big challenges to sweep 3-0 both Iowa State and Kansas State last year with decisive victories in Kansas City left me feeling really proud for the way that team came together and jelled to end the season. It's another testament to the prowess of Bill Self and his staff's ability to develop a team over the course of a season. That 2013 Conference Tournament Championship team left no questions to who was best in the Big XII which is in itself a great accomplishment for all of those Senior's to leave KU remembering.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharpe was awesome and at times the team leader the latter part of the season. I love Self, but am still bitter he benched him to play EJ in the latter part of the Michigan game.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Post a link KJD! Id like to do the same. Plus, I am missing basketball in general right now.

SkyArrow 1 year, 1 month ago

Having now lived in Winston-Salem NC for the last year (in fact only about a 1/2 mile from Wake Forest), I'm hopeful that the Jayhawks will help me maintain bragging rights over all the locals here!

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

(Note: I used to kind of respect Wake Forest back in the Dave Odom days. But that was then and this is now.)

Part I

Isn't Wake Forest the spawning ground of the AD-ninny that fined, reprimanded and tarnished Bill Self's fine reputation for slapping a scorers table too hard in last year's Madness?

Wasn't that one of the stupidest, most long delayed, most obviously calculated knives in the back perpetrated by an ACC hack as payback to Lord Roy for Lord Roy taking beatings from Bill that any Jayhawk has ever witnessed?

Isn't Wake Forest the school named for occult deacons?

Isn't Wake Head Coach Buzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzzzdelik the Princeton-loving weeny that left an honorable Colorado program high and dry after proving he could not recruit and could not adapt the Princeton system to the modern game?

Isn't Wake the program where Buzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzdelik keeps proving the futility of trying to bore and annoy opponents into close wins?

Shouldn't KU hope for a chance to play Wake Forest?

Shouldn't KU eagerly try to beat those latter day slavers back into the Civil War?

And if so much as a single stars and bars is waved during the game, shouldn't Self pull his team off the floor and demand that the rebel flag be removed from the arena, so as not to stain our noble free state traditions and so as not to dishonor the stars and stripes?

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Part 2

Sing along with jaybate to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic"...

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;

He is trampling out the vintage where the Princeton system is stored;

He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible trey sword: His truth is dunking on.

(Chorus)

Glory, glory, hallelujah!

His truth is dunking on.

I have seen Him in the bench presses of a bunch of heaving boot camps,

They have builded for Him an altar in the grind it outs and amps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the playing through twists and cramps:

His day is dunking on.

(Chorus)

His day is dunking on.

I have read an Okie gospel writ in waving rows of wheat:

"As ye deal with my condemners, so with you my grace shall beat;

Let the Hero, born of Iba, crush the demon that's a deacon,

Since God is dunking on.

(Chorus)

Since God is dunking on.

He has sounded forth the post move that shall never call retreat;

He is backing down the hand checking before His judgment-seat:

Oh, be swift, to goal, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!

Our God is dunking on.

(Chorus)

Our God is dunking on.

In the beauty of the lilies James was born across the Lake,

With a toad on a rock in His bosom that transfigures you and me.

As He died to make men impact, let us die to make them free,

While God is dunking on.

(Chorus)

While God is dunking on.

He is coming like the glory of the stocks of grain that wave,

He is impact to the mighty, He is slamming to the brave,

So the world shall be His backboard, and Dick Vitale his only slave,

Our God is dunking on.

(Chorus)

Our God is dunking on.

:-)

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Now, ralster, sorry for confusing you. :-)

But don't blaspheme to the basketball gods.

Syllogistically speaking...

Selfrates is a man.

All men are mortal.

Therefore Selfrates is mortal.

This is a crucial distinction to help Coach Self avoid the wrath of the basketball gods. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, slayr, you can have the whole loaf!

Plus a helping of grits boiled in chicken broth and fortified with some good Italian paremseano reggiano.

Polenta? We don't need no stinking polenta.

We got grits.

Of course some polenta and a pork chop at Il Latini in Florence ain't half bad either. :-)

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Where do you come up with this stuff? Quite entertaining that is.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Lulu,

Thx. Its just something I can do, so I do. Like some guys can make engines work. And other guys can carpenter. Or catch fish. I can write funny...sometimes. :-)

I have always been able to rewrite song lyrics to comic effect. Its not something I can explain. I don't write good original song lyrics, but I just have an ear and a feel for lyrics and can pun off from them and redirect them. I often just walk around singing songs and changing the lyrics around for fun.

Original writing of any kind is more like work, because you have to conceive the blue print and the frame before you hang the words, but with a song lyric the blue print and frame are already there, so its just a matter of playing word games and swapping in phrases that fit and redirect the meaning where you know you want to go.

I used to be roundly castigated by writing teachers for doing it, so it had to go underground and it surfaces here occasionally.

I have had some health problems recently and have been trying to play through, but I've lost something off my fast ball, so its nice to know I can still occassionally tickle someone's funny bone.

Again, thx, and...

Rock Chalk!!!

TheFloater 1 year, 1 month ago

Good gosh I cannot wait. How many days till late night? Too many. Wayyyyy too many! I need my fix!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

Excellent place to spend a leisurely couple of days if you can stay out of the casino. Late fall can be iffy weather wise, but wonderful dive spots within an hour of there. Lots of reefs, jack, cuda, eels, & SHARKS! Fun stuff for the fit & ready. First places my kids ever put on snorkel & both have been OW certified now for 15 years. Bath warm waters even in January or February, & that's when there is little chance of bad storms, yet can be tricky riptides. Youngest boy & his wife were in Mexico for a wedding last month & got nailed by a tropical storm-ouch! No power, food, zilch...for 3 days! Paradise Island is an appropriate name for sure, even if it only refers to the resort. My advice would be go whenever you can regardless, especially if someone else pays for it!

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the review, global, always nice to hear about places from someone we trust.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

With Jeff Bzdelik running the show at WF and the locals wanting to lynch him, the game with the Demon Deacons should be a peace of cake.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I bought my plane tickets and made my hotel reservations for Paradise Island already. Now I just need to buy tickets to all the KU games (maybe all the Battle 4 Atlantis games, but at least all three KU games). Can I get those through the university? I keep hearing I can buy tickets when I get there, but I'd at least like to have tickets to one game in hand before I leave. Thanks all!

gchawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Like superwizbang recommended, call either one of those entities he/she suggested. In past tournaments, the KU games are generally sold out, and if that's the case I'd suggest you call Wake Forest and get some tickets, because, for the most part, the tickets are general admission anyway. Good luck.

Ken Schmidt 1 year, 1 month ago

Give the athletic department a call or contact the Williams Fund.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 1 month ago

Atlantis is horrifically expensive, I wouldn't stay there unless you've got timeshare points to trade. And the food is horrifyingly expensive as well, because there's no grocery stores nearby. When I went to the Bahamas last year, I stayed at the Hilton in Nassau. There are hotels that are a little bit cheaper as well. November might be low season, so that may help too. Don't try to go ultra cheap on your accomodations though. There's security in paying for a name brand hotel. And, the taxi or shuttle rides from Nassau to Paradise Island are not unreasonable.

The casino will also run you dry. There's a lot more to do there than what's at Atlantis. Visit Exuma Island...best excursion ever!