Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ex-Jayhawks have no issue with Weis’ remarks

Kansas defensive back Bradley McDougald runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013.

2013 Kansas University graduates Bradley McDougald and Toben Opurum may no longer be playing football in Lawrence, but both have a bunch of friends still on the team and an interest in the future of the program, particularly since they both are attempting to get their professional football careers going just down the road in Kansas City, Mo.

Thursday, at Chiefs training camp in St. Joseph, Mo., McDougald and Opurum became the latest in a long line of people to be asked about KU coach Charlie Weis’ comments earlier at Big 12 media days earlier this week in which he linked the phrase “have you seen that pile of crap” with his recruiting strategy.

None of the four players who were with Weis in Dallas — Jake Heaps, Ben Heeney, Cassius Sendish and James Sims — were the least bit offended by their coach’s comments, and Opurum and McDougald do not appear to be either.

“I mean, that’s what it was, truth be told,” Opurum, an undrafted free agent fullback, told the Associated Press. “We didn’t put out a good product on the field and he was just expressing how he feels about it. He may have been able to word it differently, but that’s the type of guy he is. He’s going to tell you straight forward. He’s not going to beat around the bush.”

McDougald, an undrafted free agent safety who pointed out that last year’s 1-11 record did not deserve any sugar-coating, agreed with Opurum and said he had no issue with the comment.

“He wasn’t disrespecting any players,” McDougald said during Thursday’s interview. “1-11 was a crap season. He’s complimented me many times on my skill and me as a player. So I can’t really take too much offense to it because of what we produced last year.”

More on commitment

Late Wednesday night, JayhawkSlant.com reported that Tyler Patrick, a 5-foot-11, 171-pound wide receiver from The Woodlands (Texas) High had orally committed to the Jayhawks.

At the time of his commitment, Patrick had just a few offers (Air Force, Lamar and Louisiana-Monroe) but was receiving interest from several BCS programs, including Iowa State and Oklahoma State. The aspect of his game that seemed to attract the most interest was his speed. Patrick ran a 4.4-second 40-yard dash time at KU’s Friday Night Lights camp earlier this summer and has been clocked as fast as 4.38. Rob Ianello was the lead recruiter for Patrick, who said KU’s receivers coach was a fan of his wheels.

“He liked my straight-line speed and lateral speed,” Patrick told JayhawkSlant.com. “It showed I just don’t have track speed. He said with my speed I will have a chance to compete right away.”

Patrick becomes the seventh member of the Class of 2014 to pledge his services to the Jayhawks, joining offensive linemen Jacob Bragg and Apa Visinia, defensive backs Joe Dineen and Andre Maloney, linebacker Kyron Watson and running back Traevohn Wrench.

Fan Appreciation Day

KU has designated Aug. 17 as the date for this year’s Fan Appreciation Day. The first of two KU practices that day will be open to the public and will run from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Jayhawk fans are invited to attend the open practice and then stick around afterwards to get autographs and meet their favorite Jayhawks.

KU is slated to open fall camp on Aug. 7 and will kick off the season with a 6 p.m. home game Sept. 7 against South Dakota.

Comments

ja_hok91 1 year, 2 months ago

I have no problem with Coach Weis' comment. He speaks the truth and I truly appreciate that quality in anyone. Not only is it a true statement, but it will motivate those who were on the field last season. I love Kansas Basketball, but football is my true love. Needless to say, I am very excited for the upcoming season. My goal is that other teams won't be able to pencil in KU as an "easy win" and that they must bring their "A" game to avoid a scare or even a loss.

actorman 1 year, 2 months ago

“'He wasn’t disrespecting any players,' McDougald said during Thursday’s interview. '1-11 was a crap season. He’s complimented me many times on my skill and me as a player.'"

And that, my friends, is the difference between what CW said and the types of things that Mangino said. People keep saying that this is no different than Mangino, but it's a HUGE difference. It's the difference between personally insulting and embarrassing players and being honest about how bad the team is.

Jim Stauffer 1 year, 2 months ago

Well said actorman. That is it in a nutshell.

David A. Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Exactly. The people that didn't see this truth for themselves did not want to, or were simply trying to distort what was said to cast coach in a bad light for their own purposes. What coach said was plain, clear, and victimless.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Heard and interview with Toben on the radio yesterday. The Chiefs are working him out as a fullback (as noted in the story), and it was great to hear him talk.

He sounded confident and enthused. This guy deserves to make a roster.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

Charlie Weis said that Kansas Football is crap? When did this happen? Dr. Zenger should fire his butt immediately!

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

It's one thing to retrospectively refer to the team in that manner. It's something different when your purported fans derisively designate you as "roadkill" when the game has yet to be played. The past is what it is. When the game hasn't even been played and you're graphically using the mascot to predict another road beatdown, that sucks.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

This was the point I was getting at originally, what we saw last year was crap. It didn't mean there aren't talented people to work with, but it wasn't a good season. Now, he's added players to the mix, and get it done.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll say this and I'll sit. Both Mark Mangino and Charlie Weis are excellent coaches. Comparatively speaking, it would appear that MM had more of a temper. Okay. So coaches aren't all cut from the same piece of cloth. But Mangino cut his teeth under the auspices of one Bill Snyder, and he learned his lessons well. Nobody doubts his prowess as an X's and O's guy, and his record while here at Kansas speaks for itself. I don't give a damn about his temper. I assure you that what I went through in high school was twice as bad, easily, and so certainly men who have achieved the age of majority playing at a Division I school can endure the temper of a coach, even one that crosses the line sometimes. On the other hand, CW is a cool cat. He speaks easy, and you are fooled by his likability. I have NO DOUBT whatsoever that the desire and the fire to win rages inside him uncontrollably. Weis will tell the truth about his team, though, and that is a comforting sign. Because no one can win who is unwilling to have realistic expectations of his own team. Gill seemed to always exaggerate the ability of his teams in press conferences. He talked about good things that happened as equally as he talked about the bad, and we all know that didn't reflect the reality of the situation. Weis on the other hand, lets us know that HE is aware of where the holes are. He talks about them openly and honestly (except for in the case of Dayne Crist), and he addresses them. Year three--NEXT season--is going to be a good one. Harwell will be on board, Marcus Jenkins-Moore, the team will have gained chemistry having played together, the QB will be experienced, new recruits will be here, strength coaches will have worked on these guys, etc. I still see this upcoming season as a building year. Nothing more. Thankful that CW is the architect to rebuild the program.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm with you and I'm all in. Let's hope we are right!