Back to Big 12 Conference coverage

Big 12 Conference

Sunday, July 21, 2013

A year later, Bowlsby proven prophetic about Big 12

Bob Bowlsby was only a few weeks into his new job as Big 12 commissioner when at the league’s football media days last July he kept repeating the same thing to all who would listen.

“Our message was, ‘We’re stable, we’re strong, and we’re successful,’” Bowlsby recalled a year later. “Those were the three watch-words. ... I uttered them a whole bunch of times.”

Bowlsby won’t have to work too hard to convince people of that when he takes the podium Monday at a downtown Dallas hotel to kick off this year’s football media days.

The league’s 10 schools shared a record $198 million in revenue for the 2012-13 school year, a total that could easily double because of a new TV deal and a Sugar Bowl partnership with the powerhouse SEC. Nine of 10 teams went to bowl games, making the Big 12 the first league ever to send 90 percent of its teams to the postseason in the same season.

“This year, I think people know that we are those three things, and I think the message is we’re looking forward” Bowlsby said in an interview with the Associated Press. “We’re excited about the future, we’re all about winning national championships, and we’re going to do what we need to try and make all the boats rise.”

No longer is the Big 12 just trying to survive, like it was during the seismic shifts of conference affiliation in previous summers when the league lost four schools and added two others to settle into its 10-team configuration.

Bowlsby, the former Stanford and Iowa athletic director, acknowledged that much of what has been accomplished in his first year leading the Big 12 was the result of things that were already in motion when he got there. That included the framework of the $2.6 billion TV deal with ESPN and Fox Sports that goes through 2024-25 with each school granting its TV rights to the league.

“We got done the things that needed to be done in the first year, most of them were previously started,” Bowlsby said. “This year may be a little more ground-level logistics and tactical things, as opposed to some of the high-level things we had to deal with.”

This time, it’s putting the finishing details on items such as potential scheduling alliances with other leagues that would include neutral-site games, the Sugar Bowl setup that begins with the 2014 season and their bowl lineup in the post-BCS era.

The Big 12 is also hosting college basketball’s biggest event, with the NCAA Final Four at Cowboys Stadium next April.

Among items on Bowlsby’s agenda is a branding initiative to build a national identity for the 10-team league known as the Big 12.

“One of the reasons we’ve decided to go forward with it is because we wanted to put a stake in the ground. We’re here for the long haul ... we have members in perpetuity,” Bowlsby said. “There isn’t any belief that there are decision-times coming up where you have to decide to be in the league or not be in the league.”

That wasn’t necessarily the case when the Big 12 was planning a similar branding campaign a couple years ago before Bowlsby arrived. Then came talk about Texas A&M’s possible departure from the league, and the Aggies then moving to the SEC with Missouri.

While Bowlsby expects the Big 12 to get stronger, that doesn’t mean getting bigger.

Without being prompted, Bowlsby said he believes that the current conference members consider 10 schools “as the right number for us.” That comes at a time when all the other power conferences have 12-14 teams.

“There hasn’t been anything that has been empirically able to demonstrate that larger is better,” he said. “Our distributable revenue per institution is right there at the top of the country. I think time will tell whether our size is the optimal size or whether something bigger is optimal. But we like our dog in the fight.”

The eight continuing members of the Big 12 — Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech — each got about $22 million from revenue. While newcomers TCU and West Virginia got half-shares of about $11 million for their first year in the Big 12, that was more than either got in their old leagues.

With $289 million in revenue for 2012-13, the SEC distributed just less than $21 million per team to its 14 schools. That league has won the last seven national championships in football.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 1 month ago

So reading through the bs...once TCU and WVU get their full shares and the SEC gets their new TV deal and network with the payouts be similar?!?

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 1 month ago

We will be near the top in per school revenue given the accelerating payout schedules of the new contracts. However, the key difference is that in the Big 12, you get to keep your third tier revs and because of Jayhawk Basketball, our third tier revs are pretty significant and should keep KU ahead of the average in the SEC

actorman 1 year, 1 month ago

Shh. Don't tell Misuse. They might realize they'd made a mistake and try to come back.

Steve Quatrocky 1 year, 1 month ago

I think that bridge was not only burned, then it was blown up, and then hauled away too.

Carter Patterson 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't read them. I purposely click on the first answer twice. If everybody does this over and over again, they'll get the point and realize its useless.

rockchalkblock 1 year, 1 month ago

I have never had to do a survey to read an article! Thanks apple products!

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

Don’t even know what they look like, and lovin’ it.

kuilander 1 year, 1 month ago

I only visit this site on my iPad now .. Which means I view about a third of the time i used to ...

Rock_Chalk_NYC 1 year, 1 month ago

It is an AP article. Read it on ESPN yesterday. Clearly states that at the outset of the article.

That said, Bowlsby isn't impressive at all. He's actually done nothing other than let 2-4 schools go that could have made the Little 12 a truly powerful conference. He is another Texas puppet. If anyone doesn't realize that, let me sell you my Obamacare Health Plan... Don't worry, you'll keep your doctor.

Just hope in 2-5 years when the Big 10 makes a move, we end up there.

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

We want to know more about your Obamacare Health Plan. I read in the New York Times that it would cost less than half of those of the competition. Come back when you have studied and share your wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 1 year, 1 month ago

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

Unemployment down, the economy growing, the deficit receding, health care for everyone, whites as a minority and Hillary up next.....it must really suck to be a tea partier.....

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

I believe for Caucasians unemployment is down, however part time is up. The economy is growing what about 1-2%, that isn't too impressive, health insurance for everyone, but how will be people pay for the services when they have to use all their "extra" money to buy insurance. I saw examples of a 40 year old person...healthy will pay 140 a month with a deductible of 5000 and it will pay 50%. That is bad, I pay less than that my deductible is half that and it pays 90% until I max out at 5000. But of course, if you buy insurance you really don't understand the obamacare law. The key is to understand no pre-existing conditions. If you get diagnosed with something...buy insurance than...pre-existing conditions are covered and you can't be denied...help me understand why you would want to buy into that. It is becoming so bad, some things have been delayed. To keep this sports related, I think the nfl players suing the nfl will qualify for benefits through obamacare and it will be up to a committee to evaluate whether they should get service. Fun times ahead!

Saguaro_Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

You forgot that Bowlsby was still at Stanford when all of CU, corn, aTm & moo committed to leave the Big XII. Those were all on Dan Beebe's watch.

He seems to step in line with OU and UT's desire to keep member # at 10 instead of expanding back to 12. I tend to believe that is wiser at least for now and near future.

Pac 10 seems to regret offering Utah a membership along with SEC offering moo.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

Never understood Pac's interest in Colorado and Utah, though Utah has had the superior athletic program for quite some time.

I love the 10-team setup. Yes, it makes it harder to win, but I never liked the split divisions. Over time, this set-up will help the conference be more competitive in post-season play.

Though I am no big supporter of OU or Texas, we need to remember that, just because OU and Texas like something doesn't necessarily make it bad. I trust Zenger to take care of KU.

jaymike2 1 year, 1 month ago

I would rather call it Romneycare since its basically his plan. Republicans tend to forget that.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 1 month ago

Compared to political rants, the surveys are delightful.

BPSkelly 1 year, 1 month ago

I think 10 is good. Not because more is better or isnt. But let's be honest about all this. Nebraska and A&M leaving wasn't good in anyway shape or form. There's no way to spin that as a plus. Mizzou and Colorado leaving wasnt good either, but because of their places in total revenues for the Athletic Departments -- and support thereof -- in my opinion its more of a wash with the additions of TCU and WVU.

If all of this "Conference Shuffle" is seen through the prism of number of TV sets to charge for their own conference network -- then the Big 12 is without question the biggest loser of the big 5. Again, no grey area here. If im correct like 80% of the population base is in one state -- granted its the one with the most schools as well -- it's hard to see how we end up on top. If SEC schools start getting 50 million per year to our 35 mil lets not pretend all is well. So lets not pretend the whole "were happy at 10" talk isnt just that at all times.

Im also done worry/debating/thinking/kaputzing about why it all happened. We're well past that point now. We're here. The round robin format is huge. Sorry, it just is. I think the other Big 5 conferences are going to head to 9 games in conference as well, but still wont see certain teams at certain points sometimes for years. I'd think if you were a bottom feeder for one of those conferences, that wouldnt be a plus.

With all the Tier 3 stuff essentially paired up in some way, shape or form with ESPN and Fox along with them being primary T1/T2 carriers, it's hard to envision a point where most conference football games, and many (if not most) men's hoops games will end up on national tv over the length of this contract. If ESPN is going to push SEC and ACC games to the sidelines over to conference networks (which may increase $$$ but likely lessen exposure nationwide) it seems by sheer numbers (hours of content) it improves the odds of this greatly. Remember, it'll only take 5 'game time slots' between FS1, ESPN, ESPN2,ESPNU, ABC, Fox, and Fox's regional sports networks. If more content from the Big 10, SEC, ACC are on their conference networks it seems impossible that this wont mean more time for the Big 12 on national tv. Having 6,7,8 time slots for those games makes that harder to do.

At this point worrying about what should have been strikes me as foolish. KU (and the rest of the Big 12) will have more national exposure in the next 13-15 years than any of the schools involved have ever had previously. Being a chicken little about it it strikes me as disingenuous.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 1 month ago

Strikes me that the whole mega conference thing was a bad idea that was media driven with no thought to geography, old rivalries or anything other than tv sets. I think 10 does work. It would have worked better with Nebraska and Colorado, but TCU is a good add. WVU? A member closer in geography would have been better. Otherwise, we become the only major conference whose members play every other member every year. That makes the other conference champs just a little suspect. Didn't we hear that in 07 even though we werent the champ, it made us suspect for a BCS bowl.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

Uh, one year has passed. One year. Stable? Is stability the sign of the two biggest schools in the conference trying to broker a deal with the Pac12? No, the Big12 may appear stable, but it's not. Money talks and will not be ignored. I'd say we're in the middle of the final movement, and it will be huge.

If the Big12 remains as it is now through the decade, I'd be surprised, and in the next 10-15 years, WV will tire of the travel and jump ship. My hope is that we land in the B!G 10.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

The Big 12 is stable because all the jealous crybabies are gone. Simple as that.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 1 month ago

I still hate WVU being in the Big 12. I'd love to send an ACC/Big East area team packing in favor of a more local team. I get that options are limited, but something just feels wrong about the geographic distribution of the conferences.

asilva94 1 year, 1 month ago

Sort of like Nebraska ending up in the PAC12 right? it's just weird.

hotrodm 1 year, 1 month ago

The Big 12 should have grabbed Louisville instead of either TCU, or WVU.

Kyle Rohde 1 year, 1 month ago

The stability and the $ are indeed fantastic. However, not adding Louisville when they were begging to join was a huge mistake. They're a better athletic program than maybe anybody in the conference over the past year, were a great geographic fit and would have put at least someone a little closer to Morgantown. Who would be #12 is still up in the air, but not taking Louisville was idiotic.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

It may be that the new Big12 TV contracts satisfy UT and OU, but if these two are offered, I wouldn't be surprised if they bolted. My memory is longer than that and the Pac12 is a very attractive conference. The SEC would love to add UT or OU.

Does KU have a contingency plan in place if it happens? This is what I would be concerned about if I owned a business downtown.

jgkojak 1 year, 1 month ago

I always thought we should have had BYU - they bring in more TV viewers than WVU, are about even in athletics, and better in academics. It would also have taken us completely out of the ACC/B10/SEC shuffle and would have made the 10 teams sustainable -

I always thought we brought in WVU to pre-emptively expand east (i.e. FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Lousiville). If we weren't gonna do that it makes no sense to have WVU, which is worthless from a market and academic partner, over BYU or Louisville.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 1 month ago

BYU is just about as far away as VWU. Louisville was a big miss.