Originally published July 18, 2013 at 10:45a.m., updated July 18, 2013 at 11:35p.m.

KU football picked last in Big 12 media poll

Kansas University running backs and quarterbacks shuffle through a drill during a spring football practice on Tuesday, April 2, 2013, at Memorial Stadium. From left, in front, are running backs Taylor Cox, James Sims, Brandon Bourbon and quarterback Blake Jablonski.

It’s been four full seasons since the Kansas University football team finished anywhere but the Big 12 Conference basement, and the media members who cover the conference are banking on it becoming five.

At least that’s what coach Charlie Weis and the Jayhawks learned on Thursday, when, for the third straight year, they were picked to finish a distant 10th in the Big 12 in the preseason media poll.

KU’s spot in the standings was hardly a surprise and likely came as little shock to Weis and the Jayhawks. A season ago, when asked about being picked to finish last in the Big 12, Weis, who is a results-oriented kind of coach, said he didn’t blame anyone for putting the Jayhawks last and added that it was his and his team’s job to do something to change their minds.

In the four seasons since finishing 4-4 in the Big 12 North in 2008, the Jayhawks have won just two conference games and gone through league play twice without a victory. In three of those four seasons (2010, 2011 and 2012) KU was the lone team at the bottom of the Big 12 standings. In 2009, Baylor joined the Jayhawks as the only one-win teams in the conference. But the Bears have won 15 games in the four seasons since, with only Iowa State (12 wins) between Baylor and Kansas during the past four seasons.

Although KU’s spot at the bottom of the conference seemed easy for media members to nail down — KU received 56 points from 43 ballots — the rest of the preseason standings were a little more difficult to determine. Just 28 points separated the preseason favorite from fourth place, and six teams received first-place votes.

Oklahoma State (365) came out on top and received 15 of the 43 first-place votes. Oklahoma (355) was second and received eight first-place votes. TCU (347) was third with nine first-place votes.

And Texas, which has garnered the most national buzz throughout the summer, was picked to finish fourth with 337 points and eight first-place votes.

Baylor (282, two first-place votes) and Kansas State (240, one) came next, and Texas Tech (161), West Virginia (126) and Iowa State (96) rounded out the rest of the standings in front of Kansas.

Sims on Walker list

KU’s James Sims has been named to the preseason watch list for the Doak Walker Award, given annually to college football’s top running back.

Sims, a senior from Irving, Texas, led the Jayhawks in rushing during the past three seasons. He enters 2013 as the top returning rusher in the Big 12 — his 2012 total of 1,013 yards ranked 18th nationally — and, with 2,482 career yards, sits 1,359 behind June Henley for the top spot on KU’s all-time rushing list.

Sims joins KU junior linebacker Ben Heeney (Rotary Lombardi Award) as the two Jayhawks named to preseason watch lists so far.

2013 Big 12 football media preseason poll

1. Oklahoma State (15) 365
  2. Okahoma (8) 355
  3. TCU (9) 347
  4. Texas (8) 337
  5. Baylor (2) 282
  6. K-State (1) 240
  7. Texas Tech 161
  8. West Virginia 126
  9. Iowa State 96
  10. Kansas 56

(First-place votes in parentheses)

Comments

Bob Bailey 9 months ago

Why is it that none of you can judge Defense?

Joan Kalivoda 9 months ago

Looks like the Kansas football team in the state will again be the Wildcats as always. Basketball also. What a great program they have there at Kansas ST. They are the ones that put the State of Kansas on the map and people around the country know when talking about the state of Kansas. When you mention Kansas, people say, yea Kansas ST. Baseball, basketball, and football, they have it all.

JHWKDW 9 months ago

Opinions are like you know what is on every persons body. Everyone has got one!

Who cares about where we rank to these media folk?I am not concerned with them.This season I care about seeing improvements on our team, especially in the passing game, and kicking game.I also hope for bigger things in Defense. The thing I think is solid is the O-Line with Grunhard at the helm, and the Running game.

I am not going to predict how many games they win, but If there is a number I and many would consider this team having a huge success would be 6 wins. I think at least everyone would want at least 2 wins though this season.

Well cant wait to see the results of HCCW, and what they show us this season. Good Luck cannot wait

RCJH in Football in 13.

mikehawk 9 months, 1 week ago

We need to be picked last. Coach is probably relieved we were picked last. No where to go but up. Very modest goals are needed when you are trying to build a program from the ash heap which plays in one of the toughest leagues in college football. Can't believe people are already turning on our Coach. Who the heck is going to want to coach football at Kansas? Right now...NO ONE! All we have to do is get better. We desperately need a quarterback who can make a team respect the pass from time to time. I drank the Kool Aid last year believing we had one. We didn't. We have to be able to continue to run the ball, move chains, shorten games, and keep the defense off of the field for as long as possible because Big 12 teams can score points in bunches and bury you before half time, demoralizing the players over a 13 game schedule. The excitement over these juco players...they haven't seen anything at the junior college level like they are getting ready to experience. Four wins would be awesome! I think that is the max. Five wins! We're talking dancing in the streets. Six would be impossible and would bring about Big 12 Coach of the Year talk. The latter is not going to happen. Please, just keep getting a little better each year, and one of these years it might happen. Living in Tulsa where Danny Manning is head basketball coach, my dream is some year Kansas would be as good as the Univ of Tulsa football team is currently. We aren't even close to that right now, and that is some sad reality when we are compared that unfavorably to a team which thrives and wins on OU, OSU, and Arkansas rejects.

troutsee 9 months, 1 week ago

The Jayhawks will be the surprise team for the press corps but no surprise to B12 coaches. They will know that this is not going to be a roll over team. It is going to take work against the Hawks this year and I think we have a real chance to go bowling. And, yes, the kool aid tastes great.

firebird27 9 months, 1 week ago

Question: How can the University of Kansas win a conference championship in football?

Answer: Get a men's soccer team.

Michael Leiker 9 months, 1 week ago

KSU jumps out at me. Amazing how Snyder just continually gets no respect.

Jim Jackson 9 months, 1 week ago

Charlie went to back to back BCS games at ND in his first 2 years. He did not win those games but to say he was a complete faulure at ND would be in -accurate. Most of the games he lost were by a TD or less (check it out yourself) . He had a very good game plan his first season but we just did not have the personnel to compete. A 1 dimensional offense and we still had very close games against Rice, TCU, Texas, TTech, OSU, NIU.

We are going bowling this year. Rock Chalk

Steve Gantz 9 months, 1 week ago

Media really going outside the box on this pick.

budsitz 9 months, 1 week ago

The tragedy is that we are paying a coaching fraud to try to rebuild a football program. This is the same guy that ND is still paying $2 mil a year (for three more years). Getting paid $4 mil a year to never win a football game is an amazing gig! Why would any athletic director choose a head coach for Kansas that could not win with all of the talent available at ND? KU's real future laid with a coaching talent that is now working for NC State in Raleigh. He really wanted the KU job... The fact is that Charlie has figured out that he does not have to win to get a huge payday. He only has to fine an incompetent AD to hire him. He makes the money regardless. As long as Charlie is coaching, KU will only manage to win 2 or 3 conference games a year.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 9 months, 1 week ago

For those of you who are familiar with my depressing lunacy, tread lightly on my next words.

I am not, in any regard, going to start drinking the Kool-Aid. But the time of the year has come for me to....sadly, once again....allow blind optimism to sweep over me. Many of you have judged my comments as negative, disheartening, fair-weather fandom.

....I can't blame you.

But believe me when I say that I am the truest of KU football fans, and as such, in the darkest of situations, I still force myself to believe. Over the next month or so, you'll start to see my comments get more light-hearted and prideful of my team.

Do not mistake it for bandwagoning.

Being a true Jayhawk football fan is a cyclicle experience. Drown your sorrows in drink during the season, complain and enter dark depression after the season, and then....inevitably; routinely....pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get jacked for the season to start again.

....rinse and repeat.

I can make no promises, bets, or even deliver comforting predictions. But what I can say is this. I have witnessed miracles on The Hill; I have seen group of nobodies defy the experts; and I have seen proof...even in the cellar of college football....light can shine through.

Pick us last....every year. I could care less. But I have a gut feeling that one of the times you write us off; dismiss us as a joke; we will make you regret it. I see a lot of teams, players, coaches, and fans who don't think we're capable of three wins. Sound reasonnig, I suppose. But I believe that one time is going to happen this season.

So stay tuned. Stay the course. Keep the faith. Rock Chalk.

JayHawkFanToo 9 months, 1 week ago

On paper, KU is the most improved team in the conference and probably the country. How this translates to the field will tell how good of a talent evaluator and coach Weis is.

If the team finishes the non-con with 3 wins, then there is hope that it can win 2-4 conference games. One or more loses in non-con and there is little hope of improvement.

Steven Swaggerty 9 months, 1 week ago

When you don't win a Game in Conference how can the Team be "ANYTHING" but LAST? Another 2-10 Season. At best.

Randy Bombardier 9 months, 1 week ago

If we DO finish last it will be like the year when there were four teams tied for 3rd place, which would still give us at least 5 wins. It will probably be that kind of year again in the conference.

Micky Baker 9 months, 1 week ago

Take this with a grain of salt. I mean that literally. Let it sting, and let it motivate the players so that they play with a chip on their shoulders. Kansas is not going to finish in last place in the Big 12 this season. I say, 6th, and that will get KU into a bowl.

There may be a lot of teams about 6-6 or 7-5 from the Big 12 this year but I can see 6 wins this year and maybe up to 8.

Get the chip on your shoulder. Let them be under the radar, and if Heaps and company and the newcomers(just 5 or 6 of them) make big impacts... you know the rest of the story.

Just remember, all 9 of KU's Big 12 opponents went to a Bowl a year ago. If KU improves to 6th, KU will be in a bowl.

jhawkrulz 9 months, 1 week ago

I'm a bit surprised OSU is at the top, it seems like they were mediocre last year and couldn't settle their QB situation (although a freshman). OU I would never bet against. However, where did TCU come from, I didn't think they did well last year and I haven't really heard that they did anything to make themselves that much better. TTU with a new coach but slides up...not sure if I understand that. I do understand KU and ISU at the bottom. I might have to agree with some of the comments above, the Big XII might just be that bad this year, and that might actually help KU.

troutsee 9 months, 1 week ago

Once again the season rides on the hype at the QB position. If we do well there, look out. If that position turns out to be another huge dud, last place is a cinch. But, if we get good play from the QB, look out, as this KU team could be a nightmare on everyone's schedule.

mahkmood 9 months, 1 week ago

The media doesn't realize that eventually the Bon Jovi mind conditioning will create a fierce and relentless group of Weis automatons that will have a "decided schematic advantage"

Randy Maxwell 9 months, 1 week ago

The Big 12 is so vulnerable, i dont think any big 12 team is a top 25 team

Randy Maxwell 9 months, 1 week ago

I will bet everything I have that KU doesnt finish last

Randy Bombardier 9 months, 1 week ago

I feel pretty good about saying that isn't gonna happen. KU will win at least 3 or 4 conference games.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 9 months, 1 week ago

This will be a down year in the Big 12. Since every team has taken big hits during the off-season I will go with the best coached team and say that KSU wins the big 12. I will take OSU second because of Chelf and Randle being able to run a very powerful offense. I think UT gets third because they have the best QB and the most talented roster. TCU will get fourth because they return both of their quarterbacks and they should have a good defense this year.
then 5. Oklahoma 6. TTU 7. Baylor 8. Kansas 9. WVU 10. ISU

kay_you 9 months, 1 week ago

In basketball we are the favorites until someone can beat us. Same thing in football only backwards.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 1 week ago

Why is this news? Until these guys stop getting embarrassed week after week after week, why should anyone think any differently about them? Considering KU has only won six of their last forty-three games, why should anyone think any differently?

Cmill1221 9 months, 1 week ago

If you ain't first you're last!!

Brett McCabe 9 months, 1 week ago

First three games: So. Dakota, Rice and La. Tech should be wins - though the last two are no guarantees. However, these are all virtual must-wins.

Win the non-con schedule and you have 3 wins.

One win in conference vs. TTU, ISU or WVU is a reasonable expectation.

I think that we'll win 5 because the OU, Baylor or Texas games could see us in the dog days of the season, where someone might take us lightly and we could pull the upset.

Steve Jacob 9 months, 1 week ago

4-8 for KU. Anything more then that is great, less then that you have to wonder if Weis will stay.

mahkmood 9 months, 1 week ago

Jack Jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Agree with your KU assessment ~ possibly 1 more W. Also agree that pre-season media ranking will be a motivating plus.

Ryan Shelton 9 months, 1 week ago

1. OU. 6-3
  2. UT 6-3
  3. OSU 6-3
  4. TCU 6-3
  5. KSU 5-4
  6. BU 5-4
  7. WVU 3-6
  8. KU 3-6
  9. TTU 3-6
  10. ISU 2-7

KU will be the big surprise this year.

hbjayhawk 9 months, 1 week ago

This is a greatly improved team. Weis will get that signature "once in a generation" upset win this year against Texas (haven't beat them since 1939) or Ok St when they are ranked high this season. I see this team setting the stage for a huge 2014 season.

kevinj0fkansas 9 months, 1 week ago

As much as I'd love to see 6 wins, I just don't see it happening without some serious lucky bounces going the way of the hawks unlike last year where they all seemed to go the other way. I'm expecting 3-4 assuming our talent upgrades are as good as they are being sold as, but wouldn't be entirely shocked to see 5.

I don't see the big 12 sending 9 teams bowling again, and I would probably view it as 4 top tier, 2 mid tier, and 4 bottom. Although, the gap between the top tier and mid tier is larger than the gap between mid and bottom. That could just be because there is little disagreement on where those bottom teams should be placed.

Adam Collins 9 months, 1 week ago

Picking KU last in the conference for football every year is the equivalent to picking KU first in the conference for basketball every year.

champdave 9 months, 1 week ago

I think it's more like 6 top tier and 4 bottom. The battle for 7th could be competitive. Tech probably has the most talent, but they are young and so is their coach. WVU and ISU have some serious rebuilding to do. I think KU has a great chance at a respectable season (by our recent standards, so like 4-5 wins). We are relying on lots of unproven talent, but the sheer number of guys who look good on paper that we've brought in is so large that we should have somebody pan out at almost every position.

doolindalton 9 months, 1 week ago

The good news is that South Dakota State is on the schedule again this season, unless, of course, KU loses that game too.

LogicMan 9 months, 1 week ago

KSU not getting a lot of respect. I'd wager that they'll do much better than sixth.

Maybe KU can start earning some of that respect too this year. Let's give them all the support we can, and for the entire season.

Todd 9 months, 1 week ago

No big deal for me. Yes, we should be improved and we have more talent. But with the exception of the RB position, this team is mostly an unknown so the media can only pick based on what they already know. Unless you're Texas or Alabama and then they like to guess and hand them number one spots based on nothing lol

bjdku 9 months, 1 week ago

The way I read this, the media feels there are 4 top tier teams and 6 bottom tier. If we can end up in the top slot of the bottom tier (aka 5th place) I will be thrilled!

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 1 week ago

media members....what do they know?

patkindle 9 months, 1 week ago

yeah but,,,,,, basket ball is just around the corner,

AzHawk97 9 months, 1 week ago

It's gotta be the Tyler Patmon factor!

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 months, 1 week ago

In other new: water is wet and the sky is blue

fearthephog512 9 months, 1 week ago

Fodder for the underdogs. Prove 'em wrong hawks! Rock Chalk!