Thursday, July 18, 2013

KU basketball notebook: Andrew Wiggins recognized at ESPY show

Kansas University freshman basketball player Andrew Wiggins was recognized at the ESPY Red Carpet Show on Wednesday in Los Angeles — a day after being named Gatorade Male Athlete of the Year in a ceremony in Hollywood.

“It’s so much more physical,” Wiggins said of college basketball compared to high school in an interview with Rivals.com. “Everybody is hungry. Coming in as a freshman, you are taking someone’s spot. You are taking someone’s minutes. They (returnees) are going to fight for those minutes. On the court, you have to bring it every day. If you are not playing hard, not playing well, you’ve got to work harder. The style of play .. there are more pick and rolls.”

He said everybody on the Jayhawk team contacted him after his commitment to KU in May.

“At KU, the brotherhood is so tight,” Wiggins said.

He was asked by esnewsreporting.com if there was pressure to be picked No. 1 in the 2014 NBA Draft.

“There’s always pressure when it comes to stuff like that. Pressure is not always bad,” Wiggins said. “I think there’s good pressure. It motivates me to want to fulfill what everybody thinks I can be capable of doing, which is being No. 1. I’m going to work hard, so if I’m not No. 1 it’s not my fault. I’m going to work as hard as I can to become No. 1.”

Asked who he thought would take him No. 1 if the draft were today, he said: “I’d like to say the Raptors. I’d like to play for them (in hometown of Toronto).”

Potential

KU coach Bill Self last week spoke with ESPN’s Jeff Goodman about Wiggins and the Jayhawks’ 2013-14 team.

“I love his potential,” Self said of Wiggins. “He’s still getting his feet wet and his legs under him.”

Goodman said Self praised freshman Wayne Selden “for his toughness, ability to get to the basket and also his propensity to make shots.” Goodman said Self “raved about (freshman point guard Frank) Mason’s tenacity, especially on the defensive end of the floor.”

Summer league

Former KU guard Ben McLemore scored one point off 0-of-8 shooting — he made one of two free throws — in Sacramento’s 92-54 loss to Minnesota in Las Vegas Summer League play on Wednesday. McLemore was 0-for-4 from three. He had five rebounds in 21 minutes. ... Former KU forward Travis Releford scored three points and grabbed two rebounds while playing 16 minutes in Denver’s 87-82 victory over New Orleans. Former KU center Jeff Withey had three points and six boards in 19 minutes for the Pelicans. ... Former KU forward Thomas Robinson had 17 rebounds and 13 points in Portland's 70-69 win over Atlanta. ... Former KU guard Elijah Johnson had zero points and an assist in seven minutes in the Los Angeles Clippers 95-89 loss to Dallas.

Comments

Jesse Johnson 1 year ago

... and T-Rob had 13 Pts (6/14 FG) and 17 Rebounds in Portland's 1 point overtime victory over Atlanta. He also had 2 blocks. (Somehow this was left out of article at time of this posting.)

Jack Jones 1 year ago

Mr. Robinson is being a rebounding machine.

akgjenkintown 1 year ago

Dennis Rodman, however eccentric he was off the court, made a career in the NBA as a tenacious rebounder. He was never considered his team's first, second or even third scoring option. Based on his first season in the NBA, Robinson would be wise to follow Rodman's approach (solely on the floor) and rebound, play defense and get his points through put backs. After he establishes himself as a perennial starter, then worry about his offensive production.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

Rodman was good for 10 points a game just on putbacks and dunks, and he could run the floor as fast as about anyone. Rodman also made a career out of hustle plays and floor burns. How many times did Rodman go horizonal diving out of bounds to save a loose ball? Robinson could definitely play that type of game based on his physique and athleticism if he could just relegate himself to being a role player. If it happens, it's going to be a transition for him because he'll have to realize his niche. For now, he's doing the right thing by just trying to be the best he can be. As he matures he's sure to figure out how he can be most effective.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

Rodman also helped prevent a nuclear war :)

Kyle Neuer 1 year ago

One aspect of Rodman's game I loved was his outlet passes. The guy had amazing court vision.

moonlightschlademan 1 year ago

and Elijah was 0-2 on his 2 attempts from 3 pt land w/ 0 pts, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, and 0 turnovers in 7 minutes. Elijah, Ben, Jeff are all in the loser bracket with Darnell, Markieff, Marcus, T-Rob, Selby, Travis in the winner bracket in Vegas.
Markieff/ Marcus play T-Rob at 8 pm EST. T-Rob has the 3rd highest rebounds per game. He never really got a shot in Houston under McHale. Glad to see a new home in Portland.

KU_LON 1 year ago

Not sure it's all him.... The Kings are not a good team, and I think that makes Ben play bad.

Robert Brock 1 year ago

C'mon...McLemore is flat-out playing lousy basketball. He will improve, but right now he is just awful. He is inexperienced and lacks skills - and it shows.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Kings do suck as well, but yes Ben has only had one good game so far. Ben will be fine though when he adjusts to the NBA which us a very different game from the college game. Having a good shot at landing Wiggins as a teammate next year isn't the worst thing in the world either.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year ago

Besides TRob...these are not numbers thatbanyone can get excited about. I see Travis and Elijah heading overseas real soon. Ben - the yo yo summer league results continue. He has a long way to go before he can handle the big boy league. I expect he will find his way and get there eventually. I am waiting for Jeff to have a 10 block game! Show the Pelicans what they really got in Jeff.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

The good news on Jeff is that 3 pts. came from 1-1 from the field & 1-2 from the line....not like he went 1-6 or something.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

Wiggins sure does say all the right things.

He's KUs #1 recruiter right now.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

Once again, Self praises Frank Mason, right alongside Wiggins and Selden no less.

Self saying that Mason is a tenacious defender and meaning "Naadir Tharpe better be ready to up his game. Also, bad news for two players out of White, Greene, and Frankamp."

Personally I think that Self is blowing a little smoke here. Frank may well be impressing the staff, but I still will be surprised is he's not relegated to the bench this year and fighting to be Tharpe's backup next season much like Tharpe as a freshman.

Mick Allen 1 year ago

HEM, are you listening to what Self and others are saying about Mason. Hope you remember our earlier conversation when you had Frankamp being the back up point guard and Mason being asked to red shirt? We shall see my man.

hawk316 1 year ago

I don't think we should be too concerned about Greene and Frankamp, in particular. These two guys can flat out "fill it up." Assuming they play defense (always a Self requirement), they will see their minutes and contribute significantly.

justanotherfan 1 year ago

I don't know that scoring will be the determining factor in playing time. This team has three pretty solid scorers in Wiggins, Selden and Ellis. Having Ellis as a third scorer is key, because that's a better role for him.

Because of that, the fact that Self specifically noted Mason's defense gives him a leg up because whomever wins those backup PG minutes will be coming in primarily to defend and distribute - not to shoot.

I think this could give Mason a slight advantage, as Frankamp played quite a bit of zone defense in HS so that he could rest on defense since he was THE offense for Wichita North. Not saying that Frankamp can't defend, because I believe he can. More that he hasn't been asked to defend to that level before, so the adjustment period is greater.

Also, when you can get another wing shooter (Greene or White) on the floor with size, I think that could be a benefit, particularly if you stash them in the corner to play off Selden, Wiggins and Perry, all of whom are skilled passers.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

All I am saying is that based on past experience it seems unlikely that Bill Self will have more than 5 perimeter players who play more than 5 minutes a game. Tharpe, Selden, and Wiggins are presumed starters. That leaves two spots for 4 guys. Typically you'd like to have a solid ball handler on the bench. Mason and Frankamp are presumably the best handlers on the bench. But I keep hearing good things about Seldens handles, which means that the 4 bench guys should have a pretty even shot at the 2 bench rotation spots. It likely comes down to who plays the best defense and who makes the fewest mistakes. Mason is getting lots of love from Coach and from Keegan and from several commenters, so if Mason is the leader in the clubhouse then that leaves Frankamp, Greene, and White scambling for minutes. It seems odd though, because Self said last year that he should be playing White more. And Frankamp and Greene both were highly ranked recruits. And Mason doesn't exactly have the prototypical body for elite D1 hoops.

Jack Jones 1 year ago

"...Self is blowing a little smoke here" ~ and your analytical credentials are........?

Cameron Schienebeck 1 year ago

We all know Coach Self likes to poke and prod his PGs. While praising Mason might be warranted it is serving a duel purpose of getting under Tharpe's skin to make sure he's on the top of his game.

Mick Allen 1 year ago

True camron08, but this is more than motivation for Nadir. Mason can flat out play. He will be our most athletic point and our best defender. He also is the quickest pushing the ball up court on the dribble.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

Just curious babyphog, have you actually seen the team scrimmage? I've seen some clips of Mason in HS and some clips of him at the camp scrimmages last month, but not enough to tell how he actually competes, especially defensively, but also in transition. If you've seen him play with the current KU team I'd like to read your breakdown on how he stacks up against Tharpe, Selden, Frankamp, et al.

BayPark 1 year ago

Thanks for that plasticJHawk. Hopefully, babyphog really has seen them scrimmage and has some good intel. I'd love to hear it. I think it's more common with KU football, but I always marvel when posters so specifically deem that this guy will be the best receiver KU has had in years, for example, when no one has actually seen him play against Big-12 level competition.

johnsont1 1 year ago

Saw them play last week. Tharpe ran the show. Mason can hit shots, but isn't as athletic as Tharpe or Selden. Tharpe looked like a different player, he's definitely ready to assume the leadership role. Selden has an NBA body and can drive/hit shots. Embiid most impressed me - as in he looked a lot better than I was expecting. He's getting more aggressive. Actually has good ball control for a tall guy, and is good around the basket. It'll be a fun year!!

Chris Nieto 1 year ago

Isn't as athletic? I don't see Tharpe doing any windmill or east bay dunks (between the legs). Especially when they are the same size. You might be referring to quickness or lateral move,nets, but athleticism is Mason all the way.

texashawk10 1 year ago

The ability to dunk is not the sole factor in determining someone's athletic ability on a basketball court. I haven't seen Mason play so I'm not going to say you're wrong in saying Mason is more athletic than Tharpe, but the way you're judging their athleticism is flawed.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

Only one to be happy about last night = T.Rob.

Nice to see that while his scoring perked up his rebounding stayed high...13 Rebs. after 18 the game before.

Ray March 1 year ago

we need a link... is there a video clip of this online?

Hawk8086 1 year ago

MWM,

I agree with you. Self's comments can sometimes be telling. I'm sure he means what he says, but it would be highly unusual for Mason to take significant PT away from Tharpe.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Trey Burke was ranked in the 140's so maybe not the best example to use. Mason is ranked in the same area that Releford and Taylor were ranked so if Mason ends up having a similar impact as either of those two during his time, there's worse things than that.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

I was going to say - Trey Burke of 2012/13 was a far better player than Trey Burke of 2011/12.

KU_alum_2001 1 year ago

I'm sticking with my earlier assertion that I believe the surprise performer on this team next year (relative to expectations) is going to be Greene by far. I think he is going to be a key contributor to the team and will be the primary guy relieving Wiggins. Additionally, at 6'7 and as someone that can handle the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see he and Wiggins in there together. I don't think most realize how good this kid will be. Then again, I'm no coach so...

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

I agree more w/ KU_alum_2001. I think White could redshirt.

justanotherfan 1 year ago

I would guess that the rotation will be typical of what Self likes - 3 ball handlers, 2 wings, 4 big guys. That's always been Self's preference, as far back as his Illinois days. Now, one of those big guys won't play nearly that often (10-12 mpg), but 4 will play pretty regularly.

We know that one of the ball handlers is Tharpe. We know Wiggins is a wing. Perry is one of the big guys.

We know Selden will play. The question (and this is a key question) is whether he's good enough on the ball to be the primary handler for a few minutes at a time (in a lineup of Selden-White-Wiggins-Ellis-Black for example). If he can be, it's not a necessity for both Frankamp and Mason to be in the rotation. That's important because a Frankamp-Mason backcourt is extremely small, which could hurt us defensively against bigger guards like Marcus Smart.

If Selden can be a ball handler, then Frankamp and Mason compete for one ball handling spot (backup PG) while White and Greene compete for the other wing spot. Reports say Greene is a better ball handler than White, which gives him an advantage there. Neither has been touted as a standout defender, although both possess some solid tools to be average or better defenders.

We also know Embiid will play, so the last two bigs will be some combination of (in order of likelihood) Black, Traylor, Lucas, and Wesley. The addition of Black means either Lucas or Traylor is the odd man out in the big rotation. There's a very good chance that KU has a legitimate D-1 player taller than 6-8 playing less than 5mpg next season just because they won't have the minutes. On the other hand, I could see the loser of that battle having one or two games that they swing when someone is in foul trouble.

My guess for the rotation Ball handlers - Tharpe, Selden, Mason Wings - Wiggins, Greene Bigs - Ellis, Embiid, Black, Traylor

I think Black and Traylor are good big guys off the bench because they will provide a lot of energy. Black will probably play quite a bit this season, anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked if he started.

Mason has been getting praised for his defense, which is more important for your backup PG. Greene is a better ballhandler than White, so he gets the nod.

Still, a lineup of Frankamp, White, Lucas, Wesley and the coaches son's could do well at a low to mid major. There will be some legitimate D-1 talent guys that aren't going to see many minutes this season.

jaybate 1 year ago

~Selden, Wiggins and Mason play a lot among the newbies. Selden and Wigs start. Black probably starts for the experience. Embiid is a wait and see in the rotation based on how many TOs he makes and what his FT percentage is. Greene vs. White is a wait and see, too. AW3 ought to be ready, but Greene appears smoother. SOS on the color battle for backing up Selden and/or Wigs. Which ever guy defends best and turns it over least, gets a chance to be the backup, at least until he proves he can't pot the triceratop in D1.

~Selden making shots was the only critical unknown about this team. The rest of the unknowns have equivalent work arounds for whomever does not pan out. For Selden there just is no equivalent work around.

If Selden can stretch back side, then Andrew Wiggins is going to run WILD offense this season and the team can start long and strong and be hellacious when they get back on defense.

If Selden can't stretch backside, then it means Self has to default either to a short Frankamp, or a long and skinny (AW3, or Greene). With either guy you give something up serious on defense on the get backs.

If Selden can make shots, then not only Wiggins runs wild, but Perry does, too. And if Wigs and The Designer run wild, that's two double teams, which leaves the other big and the point guard totally free to destroy them at the rim.

It all comes down to Selden.

The team can be good with Selden shooting 36-38% from trey.

The team can be very good with Selden shooting 38-40% from trey.

But the team can be great with Selden shooting over 40% from trey.

If Selden can make shots, this team has a chance to enter the pantheon, not if not.

This is why Self is pumping up Selden's shooting confidence from the git-go.

He has to hyp-mo-tize Selden into believing he is as good a gun as Ben Mac.

With Ben Mac on this team, a banner would be practically a certainty.

With Selden, a banner has to remain a highly conditional possibility, till we see if he can "make shots" at D1 intensity of play.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Im taking a direct quote from an April 3rd article here on the LJW about Selden.

"Selden averaged 24.8 points, 10.1 rebounds and four assists in a huge senior season. He admits his reputation as a slasher rather than a shooter is well-deserved but is confident the Jayhawks are getting a complete offensive player. “I knew that going into my senior year I had to develop my outside shot,” Selden said. “It is all about repetition. I took a lot of threes this year. I had eight in one game. It is all about developing and getting better. I tried to find Selden's percentages with no luck. But hopefully he can do like you say Jaybate and be atleast 38% from trey in D1. Imagine if Wigs can do the same or better and if Naa can find his shot this year. Holy Mary Mother of God will we be good this year! I believe you are correct in asserting that the biggest unknown is Selden's trey. Its crucial. No way Selden averages 25,10 & 4 this season but its not a stretch to imagine him getting say 12,5 & 2-3 assists. That maybe a bit higher if he shoots a high mark from 3pt land. Most of our offense will come from Wigs and from The Designer. I love that nickname btw.

KanKu 1 year ago

I'll buy the lineup of 9 rotation players (with a 10th sneaking in occasionally), but it's really difficult for me to not see Frankamp on the court in some type of meaningful minutes. I've seen him play in person several times and he is just so shifty with the ball, players just can't keep him in front of him for the most part.

I once saw him dribble out of a triple-team.....a triple team. It was ridiculous. In the same game, the main guy guarding him was waaay faster overall, and probably 2" shorter. When he finally fouled out while hacking Frankamp the entire game, he was out of his mind pissed that this skinny white kid was so shifty. Even my wife was amazed.

This doesn't even account for his shooting, which was beyond ridiculous. In another game (I believe the game where he set the city league points record against Carroll), I watched him make a cut directly under the basket in a straight line to the top of the key. At about the point between the free throw line and the top of the 3 pt line, he caught a pass in stride, turned, stepped just past the 3 pt line in stride, and shot a three, virtually a fade-away. It went in so dead and straight, it was one of those shots you thought might've been an airball.

Regardless of how well he defends, I think he'll be on the court for some meaningfull minutes. Maybe in the mold of an Andrew White this season, like when he played in the WV and OKst games......but he'll play.

Hawk8086 1 year ago

I hope you are right.......but those were high school players you saw him playing against. Nolt big 12 players, or, probably, even D1 players.

jaybate 1 year ago

"(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance"

"When Liberty Valance rode to town the womenfolk would hide, they'd hide

When Liberty Valance walked around the men would step aside

'cause the point of a gun was the only law that Liberty understood

When it came to shootin' straight and fast---he was mighty good.

From out of the East a stranger came, a law book in his hand, a man

The kind of a man the West would need to tame a troubled land

'cause the point of a gun was the only law that Liberty understood

When it came to shootin' straight and fast---he was mighty good.

Many a man would face his gun and many a man would fall

The man who shot Liberty Valance, he shot Liberty Valance

He was the bravest of them all.

The love of a girl can make a man stay on when he should go, stay on

Just tryin' to build a peaceful life where love is free to grow

But the point of a gun was the only law that Liberty understood

When the final showdown came at last, a law book was no good.

Alone and afraid she prayed that he'd return that fateful night, aww that night

When nothin' she said could keep her man from goin' out to fight

From the moment a girl gets to be full-grown the very first thing she learns

When two men go out to face each other only one retur-r-r-ns

Everyone heard two shots ring out, a shot made Liberty fall

The man who shot Liberty Valance, he shot Liberty Valance

He was the bravest of them all.

The man who shot Liberty Valance, he shot Liberty Valance

He was the bravest of them all"

--music and lyrics by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, written and recorded brilliantly by Gene Pitney for the John Ford western "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" starring John Wayne, James Steward, Vera Miles (from Wichita) and Lee Marvin, as Liberty Valence, and the song was stupidly cut from the sound track by John Ford, who was in an advanced stage of alcoholism at the time.

Is Wayne Selden Tom Doniphan, or Ransom Stoddard? He's coming from the east like Ransom Stoddard did. But this team needs a Tom Doniphan that can "make the shot." And Marcus Smart is the Liberty Valance out on the Picket Wire in red clay country that is riding into Lawrence looking for Stoddard. He will find a Stoddard alright in the guise of Andrew Wiggins--the people's polished hero from the east. But will he find a Tom Doniphan willing to do what has to be done, when the time comes, when Wiggins is going to get all the glory?

"He was the bravest of them all..."

KanKu 1 year ago

Wayne Seldon.......John Wayne........it can't be a coincidence. = Tom Doniphon

However, I'd like to sync it up to Tombstone as such:

Wyatt Earp: Andrew Wiggins (well spoken yet bulletproof; ready for all comers) Doc Holliday: Wayne Seldon (bit of a wild card, but will be there when you need him most) Virgil Earp: Naadir Tharpe (cranky/crafty veteran sticking to principles) Morgan Earp: Joel Embiid (young and inexperienced, but has a fire in him i.e. blocking J. Randle) Sherman McMasters: Tarik Black (been around a bit, and was once with the enemy-Memphis) Texas Jack: Perry Ellis (now veteran fighter ready to step up - like the end of last season) Henry Hooker: Bill Self (The paladin for the entire group)

Johnny Tyler (Billy Bob Thorton): Jim Calipari (slob of a man, coward that talks smack then gets smacked)

jaybate 1 year ago

Cut and print!!!

Or is it copy and upload!

jcourt 1 year ago

How many of you have to answer questions from Google before you can Log on to KU sports.com What a bunch of crap. How do we get around this BS. Let me know.

ParisHawk 1 year ago

I use Firefox with the plugin Adblock Plus, and I have no idea what you guys are complaining about ;)

There is always m.kusports.com